This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I had written rhymes, but grammarly (everyone uses grammarly, yeah?) corrected it to rhythms, I think.
    A few people I work with use grammerly. But they are not native english speakers.
    I post on my phone a lot, and I'm sure the autocorrect makes me look illiterate more often than it helps me.

Comment

Lol

Each guess was a reasonable progression from the previous imo

edit: colours boxes not appearing

Wordle 229 6/6

[CODE]

Last edited by Mellor; 03-02-22, 06:52.

Comment

Boris has run rings around them imo with this report. Heat totally gone out of it.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
          We should be proper Europeans and drive on the right.
          In France its optional!

Comment

Korean Zombie reference to train to Busan very clever .

this series is reallly good for discerning Zombie buffs ( not saying that i am one )

Comment

Have three things to do today.

I've to go program motorised blinds in Mr. Desmond's house, then I've to meet Bono's interior designer on a project, then I've to go to Dice's gaff.

Leaving the VIP till last.
              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

That's the Holy Trinity
                of Irish society right there.
                industry, culture and ... eh ... Dice.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I had written rhymes, but grammarly (everyone uses grammarly, yeah?) corrected it to rhythms, I think.
                  What would you imagine the use of grammarly to be for most people? Was it your use of grammarly that made you start using 'I' in your posts again?

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

In France its optional!
                    Some cooking show in South of France, host asks dude " what side of the road do you drive on"...the one thats in the shade of course !
                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                      Boris has run rings around them imo with this report. Heat totally gone out of it.
                      It is never going away though, he will probably have to get hit with a fixed penalty notice for one or more of the pissups he hosted. Then its figuring out how much of a liability it will be at election time, Labour will be hoping he holds in and they can exploit it and the Tories have a lot of soul searching to do. Using the Jimmy Saville smear against Starmer could be a tipping point where he has fully nailed his colours to the 'I'm Trump Britain' and the party now have to decide if that is who they really are.

Market has moved in the last week from 1/4 to 8/11 for him to be gone this year.
                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Question for the more financially savvy types, ideally V4V if he is still lurking hereabouts.

Is it worth consulting with a financial planner as an ordinary Joe Soap? I'm likely to be in fairly decent shape in terms of retirement, even if I won't be able to retire much sooner than I'd like, but I suspect there are a few things I could be doing that would make things better, even within my current financial limits. If a consultation with a financial planner is a worthwhile thing, then what level engagement should be sufficient? I'm not looking for someone to 'manage my affairs' as sadly I'm not that well off, but I don't want to pay 200 quid an hour for multiple sessions either when there may be a better way to do it.

I'm sure there is a lot of 'it depends' in any answer, but no harm asking either. Anyone gone to someone like this recently who would feel comfortable recommending the person they talked to?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

It is never going away though, he will probably have to get hit with a fixed penalty notice for one or more of the pissups he hosted. Then its figuring out how much of a liability it will be at election time, Labour will be hoping he holds in and they can exploit it and the Tories have a lot of soul searching to do. Using the Jimmy Saville smear against Starmer could be a tipping point where he has fully nailed his colours to the 'I'm Trump Britain' and the party now have to decide if that is who they really are.

Market has moved in the last week from 1/4 to 8/11 for him to be gone this year.
                          nobody will give a shit by the time of the next election!

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                            Question for the more financially savvy types, ideally V4V if he is still lurking hereabouts.

Is it worth consulting with a financial planner as an ordinary Joe Soap? I'm likely to be in fairly decent shape in terms of retirement, even if I won't be able to retire much sooner than I'd like, but I suspect there are a few things I could be doing that would make things better, even within my current financial limits. If a consultation with a financial planner is a worthwhile thing, then what level engagement should be sufficient? I'm not looking for someone to 'manage my affairs' as sadly I'm not that well off, but I don't want to pay 200 quid an hour for multiple sessions either when there may be a better way to do it.

I'm sure there is a lot of 'it depends' in any answer, but no harm asking either. Anyone gone to someone like this recently who would feel comfortable recommending the person they talked to?
                            if you do go to get advice, go into the meeting fully aware of what their angle is and what they are trying to sell you.

Comment

if you do go to get advice, go into the meeting fully aware of what their angle is and what they are trying to sell you.
                              Ya, that's another problem I fear. I don't want to be pushed towards something they get a commission from. I certainly wouldn't go for 'free advice' as it'd obviously be with this in mind, but presumably there are those out there that you pay a fee for and they give you totally independent advice rather than try to sign you up for something.

Comment

On that note, one site I was looking at earlier was moneysmart.ie, and the financial advisor there is called Fonz Scanlan. Not a name that screams sense I have to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                  Have three things to do today.

I've to go program motorised blinds in Mr. Desmond's house, then I've to meet Bono's interior designer on a project, then I've to go to Dice's gaff.

Leaving the VIP till last.
                                  Is it a project for Bono?
                                  Can only imagine the shite a designer would have to pedal for Bono.

If not for Bono, but that's how that person markets themselves, then they were probably up to the job.

Though them seem to a taste for quality blinds.v

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

If not for Bono, but that's how that person markets themselves, then they were probably up to the job.

I'd say there is a good reality tv show in there somewhere following laz around as he looks to put blinds in all sorts of mansions and the likes.

Comment

If PAYE, max out AVC's and never give up a tracker mortgage...thats the sum of my financial advice.

Oh, and wipe all CC debt, pissing money away paying interest on those.
                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

If PAYE, max out AVC's and never give up a tracker mortgage...thats the sum of my financial advice.

Oh, and wipe all CC debt, pissing money away paying interest on those.
                                        I'll wire the consultation fee to you immediately!

I don't think I have ever paid a cent of credit card interest in my life thankfully.

Comment

Ya, that's another problem I fear. I don't want to be pushed towards something they get a commission from. I certainly wouldn't go for 'free advice' as it'd obviously be with this in mind, but presumably there are those out there that you pay a fee for and they give you totally independent advice rather than try to sign you up for something.
                                          Askaboutmoney (if you ignore the mods, who are tools) has a great section on Pensions where some very knowledgable people post. If your situation is non-standard, which it probably is, it might be a good place to start with some anonymous advice.

Otherwise if you're PAYE, do what Ole said.

Comment

I'd say there is a good reality tv show in there somewhere following laz around as he looks to put blinds in all sorts of mansions and the likes.
                                            Maybe throw in the added twist that he has issues with his bladder, frequently needing to piss in unusual places.

Leaky Blinders

Comment

I was actually talking to a friend who is a wealth and pensions advisor a couple of weeks back. Not V.

He said he has recently completely reassessed a lot of his advice and is basically now telling people just to fund themselves for an active retirement lifestyle to the age of ~77 (loltastically he said he moves this number up and down by making an amateur visual health diagnosis of the client) as you'll most likely be sitting on your ass after that point. Enabling people to retire a lot earlier.

Comment

I was actually talking to a friend who is a wealth and pensions advisor a couple of weeks back. Not V.

He said he has recently completely reassessed a lot of his advice and is basically now telling people just to fund themselves for an active retirement lifestyle to the age of ~77 (loltastically he said he moves this number up and down by making an amateur visual health diagnosis of the client) as you'll most likely be sitting on your ass after that point. Enabling people to retire a lot earlier.
                                                Plan to live forever imo

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                  I certainly hope you get to keep the rest of the animal for the pot, hate waste.

On that note....would a vegan accept a heart from a pig ?
                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

I certainly hope you get to keep the rest of the animal for the pot, hate waste.

On that note....would a vegan accept a heart from a pig ?
                                                    I hope they won't because there won't be enough to go around at first!

Seriously though, I'd imagine some will and some won't. I asked my vegan friend and he said he'd have to think about it.

I assume one day they will be lab-grown without an animal attached which makes it even more palatable.

Comment

nobody will give a shit by the time of the next election!

The just rush from one crisis to the next
                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Askaboutmoney (if you ignore the mods, who are tools) has a great section on Pensions where some very knowledgable people post. If your situation is non-standard, which it probably is, it might be a good place to start with some anonymous advice.

Otherwise if you're PAYE, do what Ole said.
                                                        Actually there's a section called money makeover there that might be a help too. Depends on your appetite for sharing/level of anonymity but you basically fill out a questionaire which is your/spouses income, pension pot, assets, debts etc etc and any major considerations for the future and people weigh in with analysis of what you could be doing differently and things like that.

I've never made a thread of my own there but have gotten a lot out of reading the advice to different people in different circumstances. Thanks for the reminder of its existence RD3 as I'm overdue a read of it.

See here:
                                                        Budgeting and dealing with debt moved to Mortgage Arrears and Debt Forum .

Comment

Mate doing the building and roofing, Lazare doing the blinds, Balfejohn the floors, tiles and garden with Satnav looking after entertainment.

This better all hold up or I'm in the jacks i supplied.

Comment

Macbeth is Joel Coen’s shittiest movie by several billion light years. If all the elephants in all the world crapped into the same canyon for 100 years, you would still not have a pile of shit half a large as Joel Coen’s dumb-as-a-dog-dick rendering of this classic tale.

From Ethan Coen's review https://imightbewrong.substack.com/p...edy-of-macbeth
                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

To be spoken in a Catherine Zeta wife of Zorro voice.

You have de heart of PIG.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                Mate doing the building and roofing, Lazare doing the blinds, Balfejohn the floors, tiles and garden with Satnav looking after entertainment.

Can personally recommend the blinds and tiles from your designated suppliers too - well looked after here on IPB.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

The just rush from one crisis to the next
                                                                  It's not easy being a central banker, had they raised interest rates before inflation was out of control they would have gotten a lot of flak for it

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                    that's brilliant, thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

who's the weak link?

Comment

who's the weak link?
                                                                        My bank account

Comment

who's the weak link?
                                                                          Dice

Comment

Just FYI the new monthly game kicks off in The Bonnington tonight @ 7pm. (Late Reg till 9.15 approx)

€225 + €25 - 30k stack with 3k early bird and 20 min blinds. Freezeout.
                                                                            Last edited by Dice75; 03-02-22, 14:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Actually there's a section called money makeover there that might be a help too. Depends on your appetite for sharing/level of anonymity but you basically fill out a questionaire which is your/spouses income, pension pot, assets, debts etc etc and any major considerations for the future and people weigh in with analysis of what you could be doing differently and things like that.

I've never made a thread of my own there but have gotten a lot out of reading the advice to different people in different circumstances. Thanks for the reminder of its existence RD3 as I'm overdue a read of it.

See here:
                                                                              https://www.askaboutmoney.com/forums/money-makeover.62/
                                                                              One thing you do get on there is some weird kind of Money Makeover threads which are essentially a form of showing off: e.g. "I own a 1m house outright, I earn 200k p.a. and I have a million in my pension fund. Am I doing OK?"

The posters do respond to them in all seriousness but I doubt they are the people for whom that forum was intended!

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

No, not for the man himself. She didn't mention it, I did my digging

Comment

Maybe throw in the added twist that he has issues with his bladder, frequently needing to piss in unusual places.

Leaky Blinders

Ha, the Bono call required pissing in a plywood jax with a bucket you've to fill up if it's eh, not a piss.

Comment

I think a couple of pointed questions here or anon online somewhere like reddit or askaboutmoney is all anybody needs unless they are extremely wealthy and want to set up some sort of financial dynasty. A lot of people are quite bad with money, lack knowledge, have bad habits, and don't really know what to look up/ask and they might want to go to one but I don't think you'd need to.

Comment

Id say one of the challenges in life is when your kid gets kicked hard by a random unprovoked little prick in school.
                                                                                      My 1st course of action is letting the school handle it. My 2nd course of action is to calm down . Im not sure my 2nd course of action is an option if it happens again.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                        That put a smile on the face of a rough day, also had a decent laugh at No1 Son's rugby team who send out these corny weekly match reports but did this special edition this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                          Id say one of the challenges in life is when your kid gets kicked hard by a random unprovoked little prick in school.
                                                                                          My 1st course of action is letting the school handle it. My 2nd course of action is to calm down . Im not sure my 2nd course of action is an option if it happens again.
                                                                                          There is a little shit in my kids playschool class who seems to always be hitting/pushing/even biting and my kid has had his fair share of them. It could be worse, it could be my kid doing that. We've told him to make sure to let the teacher know if it happens and to avoid playing with that other kid if he can.

Comment

There is a little shit in my kids playschool class who seems to always be hitting/pushing/even biting and my kid has had his fair share of them. It could be worse, it could be my kid doing that. We've told him to make sure to let the teacher know if it happens and to avoid playing with that other kid if he can.
                                                                                            Yeah my worry is our 2nd kid will go ballistic if anyone touches him so i may be on the other side of it with him.

I
                                                                                            Last edited by Solksjaer!; 03-02-22, 18:13.

Comment

Cummings surely has more up his sleeve though. Maybe a lot more.

I reckon they are crooked financially for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

That put a smile on the face of a rough day, also had a decent laugh at No1 Son's rugby team who send out these corny weekly match reports but did this special edition this week.
                                                                                                That's brilliant

Comment

Unfortunately I'm not eligible for laser eye surgery. Glasses recos?
                                                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Dont normally bother with these things but this one is well done

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

See here:
                                                                                                      https://www.askaboutmoney.com/forums/money-makeover.62/
                                                                                                      Lump it all on Facebook stock and NFT's.

20% drop overnight though for Meta. That's nasty.
                                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Lump it all on Facebook stock and NFT's.

20% drop overnight though for Meta. That's nasty.
                                                                                                        According to my kids, 'Facebook is for old people'.

Writing's on the wall. Good!

Comment

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

U wot m8
                                                                                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

African footie has regressed . Terrible semi final.

My moneys on Senegal to take it down.

Comment

FECK

Comment

Lovely stuff with the Facebook plunge
                                                                                                                  apple played a nice role, their do not track feature played a nice part- genuinely hitting them in the pocket- it’s such a cool feature love when the little begging notification not to turn it on comes up on websites
                                                                                                                  time for governments to get involved now and put manners on all these gimps fucking soak them all and use it for stuff that’s actually useful to society
                                                                                                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Went into a little rundown shop here in Turin, starvin marvin straight off the plane, run by one of those people who look a wee bit like they got off a boat a few years back and still shudders at the memories of what they escaped. In worst shape than me, is my key point there.

Get a collection of crap and pop it down and then make the now universal phone tap signal. He says its cash only. I go, oh feck, grand, sorry I'll leave it then. We then had a good two minutes of him insisting that actually I had to take it for free, that only ended when my frantic fingers feeling around the pocket, while gesticulating with the other hand that I couldn't possibly take it, miraculously found a bank note.

Have had far too many experiences in my limited experiences of this country, to not think its easily one of the friendliest in Europe. I suspect we see it in their food too, where every food has been famously described as an attempt by the chef to recreate the memories of their grandmothers cooking.

The very elderly lady next to me on the plane to London, quite over-excited about her first plane trip in two years, was saying that when she worked in London in her earlier years, they'd drive from London-ferry-France-Italy and you could almost perceptibly feel the friendliness rising as you crossed the border from France to Italy.
                                                                                                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

The 8/11 about Johnson didn't last long 2/5 now. Tory elder statesman Malcom Rifkind just gave an impassioned analysis on Newsnight that should have all true blue Tories sharpening their knives and making even that skimpy a price look generous.
                                                                                                                      9/1 Tugendhat for next leader could be a decent punt feels like if Johnson goes there could be a purge of Brexiteers and Trumpists from a still fairly strong center

Comment

Got some really great Indian cooking tips off BockTheRobber on twitter last week.

Had half a dozen curry base batches in the freezer on the back of it, and a jar of dry spice mix.

Made a Prawn Chilli Masala tonight and it was phenomenal. The first time ever after countless times cooking Indian that it actually tasted like an Indian takeaway. The smell in the house from it, ohmyjaysis.

So quick too once you've got those bases done. Curry itself, including prep was done inside 15 mins.

Comment

Ulysses getting a lot of coverage being 100 years old now. I've never read it. What are peoples opinions on it? Is it worth the slog it would be for me as a very slow reader.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X