This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

But women's Premier league football is a higher standard.
    Not even close

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Raoul has castigated golf.big time and those who play it. Quite often. I've not seen women sport in itself being overly castigated other than how specific types are getting more TV airtime than their mediocrity merits . If anything its sexist to show such a low level of ability just for inclusion reasons .
      I stopped going to Richmond Park due to hoofball levels a few years ago it's better now so I'm tempted back.
      I was called a fair weather fan. I'm fine with that . Time is precious , why suffer watching non entertaining sport .
      Why would anyone watch something they're not interested in?

Switch off. It doesn't care whether it entertains you. That's the point.
      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Haha WWMCC

Well I posted looking for discussion on the trans issue in women's sport.

Be like me asking for advice on what oil to put into my Volkswagen van and getting replies saying Volkswagens are shite.
        My bad then. I completely misread the post. I've no idea about what a trans issue is so cant comment

Comment

Not even close
          A non league club is a better standard that say Arsenal women's?

Look, I'm not a football head but that seems a tad surprising.

Comment

But women's Premier league football is a higher standard.
            I would wager a lot of money that any team from the top 6 divisions in England would beat the best 11 in tho world of all combined womens teams.

Anyway thats not the point. Im sure Major League baseball is played at a higher level too. If i want to watch womens football i can (and have) but keep it seperate is my opinion.

PS i too have a daughter and coach her team. I have a wife too but dont watch chick flicks.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

I didn't know that so ignoring your needless patronising "Next!", ty for posting.
              The 'Next!' is a GAB trademark, I thought he'd appreciate it.

Glad to have been of service.
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

I have a wife too but dont watch chick flicks.
                You're missing out. We watched Love Actually last night, again, and its class.

Comment

Why would anyone watch something they're not interested in?

Switch off. It doesn't care whether it entertains you. That's the point.
                  Of course it does. That's how TV works.

Comment

You're missing out. We watched Love Actually last night, again, and its class.
                    Too many wimmin in it. Turned it off .

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

I would wager a lot of money that any team from the top 6 divisions in England would beat the best 11 in tho world of all combined womens teams.

Anyway thats not the point. Im sure Major League baseball is played at a higher level too. If i want to watch womens football i can (and have) but keep it seperate is my opinion.

PS i too have a daughter and coach her team. I have a wife too but dont watch chick flicks.
                      I don't know enough about football to disagree with you but that certainly doesn't ring through with athletics.

Looked up a couple of results there and the best woman in the world over 5000m would comfortably have beaten most of the field in this year's men's senior national champs. She would have came third 8 secs behind the winner.

I'd assume golf is similar, not sure why football would be different.

Comment

Aside from me ranting about womens sport and covid nonsense.

GAB, RD3, or anyone else. Who wins the King George?? I probably have 4 bets a year and that race is one so would be nice to have the winner. Needless to say I didnt have Minella Indo for the GC or CDO for the KG last year
                        I like Frodon again with MI a close second. Think Frodon should get a soft lead with Drasher not going now. Hopefully get 6/1.
                        His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

The US international women's soccer team once played some under 15 boys team, they lost 5-2. That gives you an idea of the level.

But I'm in agreement with Lazare. Most likely way for a young girl to be introduced to sport (when we where growing up anyway) was possibly passing a TV screen their dad was staring at, a few women on the screen might grab their interest instead of 100% men all the time. And best way to get eyeballs on something is having pre/post/mixed in with the most popular show on TV (men's sport).

I did notice a big difference in women and sport in Canada vs Ireland. Lots of women continue playing into adulthood, just didn't seem the same in Ireland (all anecdotal). Also lots of adult co-ed sport too, soccer, baseball, basketball etc that are pretty popular. Lots of young women golfers on the course too in comparison.

The only women's sport (outside of the olympics) I watch is MMA, and for the most part the women aren't great in comparison to men but gradually over time their level is improving and the talent pool slightly growing and this is MMA ffs, not a lot of people want to be punched in the face for a living. I'd put that down to the biggest organisation (the UFC, others did it previously but the UFC has the eyeballs) putting women's fight mixed in with men's and then you get lucky and a Ronda Rousey (she was growing before UFC but they moved her popularity up a level) level star comes along and you can have women's fights headling PPV's and selling over a million at $60 a pop. That grows women's sport, eyeballs on it and you're hoping for stars to come along and move it forward again. I guess Tennis is the biggest women's sport (money wise anyway) did the same, place the women's sport along with the men's and stars will come along and grow the sport.
                          Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 23-12-21, 14:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
                            The US international women's soccer team once played some under 15 boys team, they lost 5-2. That gives you an idea of the level.
                            In fairness that result has become the stuff of legend but I think it has been misinterpreted.
                            As I understand it, the USWNT play around 20 training games each year against boys teams. It's not particularly surprising that they are going to lose at some stage.

Comment

Is the level of interest in women's sport
                              being low not essentially driven by the fact that standards are lower?

I'll watch a lot of the Olympics but never touch
                              most of those sports at any other time.
                              The appeal of the Olympics is that
                              you're seeing the very best perform at their peak.

The other factor is feeling personally
                              connected to one of the competitors.
                              Taylor is fantastic but only because she's Irish.
                              Put her in the ring with a
                              competent male and she's toast.
                              I love my trips to watch Hereford FC but
                              have never once seen a Championship match.

Another issue in female sport is lack of depth.
                              Too many early round women's matches at
                              Wimbledon are embarrassingly one sided.
                              That's probably a chicken and egg problem
                              in that you need media exposure
                              to generate greater participation
                              but I'm not prepared to spend my time
                              watching sub standard fare to solve that.

There are sports like gymnastics where
                              imo the women outperform the men.
                              Women's sporting events
                              aren't less popular because of misogyny,
                              they're less popular because standards are lower.

Genetic advantages give men a head start which favours then in physical challenges
                              that require greater size or strength.
                              That makes them better rugby players
                              but doesn't make them better people.

Those who conflate my attitude
                              to women's sport with my attitude to women
                              are comparing apples with oranges.
                              Last edited by DeeBrown; 23-12-21, 15:58.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                So the only pcr tests available on the HSE site are in Swords. Fecked if I'm heading out there.
                                Can confirm Swords mental today. Kids persuaded me to take them to Spiderman, shoulda just gone into town.

Comment

I don't say apathy was misogynistic. It's totally fine to not find it appealing, to find the gulf in standard compared to men's sport a turnoff. That's cool, and understandable.

What I found to have a whiff of misogyny was the annoyance at being 'forced to watch it', which is bullshit, nobody's forcing anyone to watch anything.

Or the comment about 'token' women on male panels, commenting on male sport.

'I want to listen to someone with experience of playing the sport at that level' says the lad who grew up watching Bill Ó Herlihy.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

I like Frodon again with MI a close second. Think Frodon should get a soft lead with Drasher not going now. Hopefully get 6/1.
                                    Can't have MI at all away from Cheltenham.

If there's a reasonable price for (gasp) Asterion Forlonges, I'll take it. Was absolutely hacking all over Allaho at Punchestown last time.

No doubt he does something daft as per usual but ludicrously talented horse who must go right handed. Could see him winning on the bridle.

Comment

That was me. Its 100% tokenism cos there are different rules for the mens and womens games. Massive difference in physicality etc cos you're not allowed to actually tackle in the womens game whereas you are in the mens. It had lead to some really awful takes and "analysis" and is part of the reason I dont wathc half time analysis any more.

Compare it to any womans game that's on telly and it's an all female panel, as it should be. But I would say if they're going to have a token woman on the mens game, they should have the same token man on the womens game. Just double standards nonsense

Edit: I mean GAA football obviously as it's the main sport I watch. I couldn't even tell you if a woman is on the panel.for a soccer game as I don't really watch anymore
                                      Last edited by dobby; 23-12-21, 15:02.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

In fairness that result has become the stuff of legend but I think it has been misinterpreted.
                                        As I understand it, the USWNT play around 20 training games each year against boys teams. It's not particularly surprising that they are going to lose at some stage.
                                        It is but they do play against teenage boys as they are competitive games and they do lose to them. Using that sole result was definitely disingenuous but their level is upper end of teenage boys, playing non league would not go well, on physicality and speed alone.

Comment

What's really happening here is most people think the world they experience aged 18-24 is the "real world" and they have grave difficulty adapting when things change. If you need to comfort yourself you can remember that it will also happen to young people now.

Comment

I don't say apathy was misogynistic. It's totally fine to not find it appealing, to find the gulf in standard compared to men's sport a turnoff. That's cool, and understandable.

What I found to have a whiff of misogyny was the annoyance at being 'forced to watch it', which is bullshit, nobody's forcing anyone to watch anything.

'I want to listen to someone with experience of playing the sport at that level' says the lad who grew up watching Bill Ó Herlihy.
                                            Bill is probably a bad example as he was a presenter rather than a panellist or pundit. He was joined by Johnny Giles, Liam Brady and Eamon Dunphy who played the game and in the case of two of them at least, at the highest level.

I'm afraid having female pundits on pretty much every sports broadcast is tokenism when you look at it coldly. It is done by sports broadcasters just so a they are seen to do it. Same as with the whole BLM movement. Often now you can tune into a soccer match and see a whole 15 or 20 minute segment on racism. I get it's a problem, i get something needs to be done about it - but i'm watching for the sport not to have a dozen different morals shoved down my throat at every opportunity. Sky et al don't give a shite about racism in sport but they do care if others think they don't.

Comment

Sorry was posting on phone earlier and missed a fair bit.

Anyway to wrap up on my own opinions.

I have no problem with womens sport/football on TV, put as much on as they wish. I might even dip in and out of some of it, especially if the little one garners an interest in it.

What i dont like is a program i've been watching for 35 years with a content i have always enjoyed now being diluted with a content i have no interest in, so i have switched off as i was being forced to watch it.

The program is, as of this season, actually presented by a woman for the first time since it began in the 70s. I didnt mind that either as she is very capable and knowlegable in the couple episodes i watched before i couldnt be arsed with the content anymore, so its not a "I hate any sight of women in my sport" thing on my end. I'm not concerned with the gender of the presenter/commentator. There are good/bad be they male or female in all aspects of TV/Film etc.

I am under no illusion of the huge misogyny that is all around when it comes to women in sport. Id imagine standing in a bookies when a female jockey gets beat a nose on the well backed favourite would be a joy to behold.

Anyway it seems this wasnt the crux of what you actually wanted to disuss, so i'll leave it there

COYGIG

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                What's really happening here is most people think the world they experience aged 18-24 is the "real world" and they have grave difficulty adapting when things change. If you need to comfort yourself you can remember that it will also happen to young people now.
                                                Ironically this post is out of touch. If there is one thing my generation is used to is change . Has any generation experienced such a rapid technological and social transformation in such a short timeframe . If anything I'd say we are more grounded in the 'real world' than a huge % of the younger dual online/offline kids today. In fact I'd say they are suffering much more than us. We can but gripe but as covid has proved we are a conforming lot as we protest at the pace of everything. I just hope the next generation have as much 'real world's experience as we had.

Comment

It is but they do play against teenage boys as they are competitive games and they do lose to them. Using that sole result was definitely disingenuous but their level is upper end of teenage boys, playing non league would not go well, on physicality and speed alone.
                                                  Shock horror, human males have some inbuilt genetic advantages over females.

Comment

The point that, since for most sports, there are modified rules, and different speed and physicality (due to natural differences in the sexes) that it’s hard for a male to analyze female sports and hard for a female to analyze on males sports is interesting.

Does that imply you have to have played the sport at the same level you are commenting on to be a useful analyst? Where is the line?
                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Name the greatest sports journalists of all time. I'd be willing to bet there aren't too many ex-players on the list...

We need more Red Smiths.

Any sportswriter who thinks the world is no bigger than the outfield fence is not only a bad citizen, but also a lousy sportswriter.
                                                      What a great quote.
                                                      Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 23-12-21, 16:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

I'm Minella Indos biggest fan but I am pretty negative on him for Kempton and fearful that he might leave his Gold Cup defence behind him with his efforts. No strong opinion on the race after that.

Few likely big priced pokes on 26th that are worth a look are Awkafina (2.08 Limerick), Tuckmill (1.23 DownRoyal), Cullaghs Star (1.45 Leopardstown). Small priced fancy is Stand Up And Fight in DownRoyal and my nap of the day is Ballybreeze in the 3.20 Weatherby.
                                                        Cheers for the comprehensive reply. Plan to arrive at the parents house at 1pm before poker in the local at 4pm so that will do nicely for a bit of entertainment. Ty

Comment

Has any generation experienced such a rapid technological and social transformation in such a short timeframe .
                                                          yes, many. Electrification, the advent of flight, steam power, the industrial revolution, ending of slavery,...all alot more jarring than moving from dvds to Netflix and having to watch women's football

Comment

Who are doyens (or indeed doyennes) of contemporary sports journalism?

Probably someone like David Walsh in a UK\Irish context?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

yes, many. Electrification, the advent of flight, steam power, the industrial revolution, ending of slavery,...all alot more jarring than moving from dvds to Netflix and having to watch women's football
                                                              HJ attempting humour . My work here is done.

Next.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                Who are doyens (or indeed [I]doyennes[/I]) of contemporary sports journalism?

Probably someone like David Walsh in a UK\Irish context?
                                                                Careful now

Comment

Have to laugh at the archaic practices of some industries.

I realized this morning I had run out of contact lenses. Silly mistake on my part, but I said, sure I'll call my local optometrist to fulfill my prescription.
                                                                  I called and they didn't have any in stock, she told me my prescription was out of date and I needed an eye test. No time this week but need contacts, can we schedule one for after Christmas but you give me contacts today?
                                                                  Nope.

Ok can you send me my prescription so I can go ask elsewhere?
                                                                  Nope. Can't send you an expired prescription.

So what are my options?
                                                                  Oh you need to come in for a test.

Can I come right now?
                                                                  No, we don't have any open spots.

Ok cool, understandable, can you give me some demos to get me through the next few days, I don't mind paying.
                                                                  No, can't discuss any contacts until you get a test.

I called another practice and the exact same spiel.

Now, I don't know what it's like in Ireland but I can just shop online for contacts without a prescription. Given this experience, I think I'll just do that in future. Talk about trying as hard as you can to drive customers away.

All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Christmas is fucked

Feels weird waiting for symptoms and red lines to appear, not that I'm all that worried about the symptoms, hopefully they won't be too severe but the damage is already done, son and family making a break for Italy before they get stuck here and the rest isolating in various boltholes for a few days. Gone from having 12 staying for the weekend to at most four possibly just the two of us.
                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Mellor’s Daily Dose of Misery:
                                                                      I now also have covid. Pinged Antigen Wednesday.

Comment

A lot of us writing this Xmas off.

Brutal.

Comment

Tested negative today. EZ game.

Comment

Contacts ordered and on the way. Should be here tomorrow.

Madness.
                                                                            I really don't like giving the business to globowankers where I can avoid it but really hard to beat that hassle free service.

Comment

For a bit of good news, sister in law managed to get across the border from France with her daughter into the UK to spend Xmas with us. My wife would have been so upset if she'd not made it, as she loves to see her sister(s) at Xmas, and she's a bit tired of a 75% male dominated household all the time.

Anyway, they've been laughing their asses off since she got here, so it's going to be a happy week now in the shrap household.

Comment

What are yiz all at getting covid this close to xmas. Riddled hoors. At least mellor has the excuse of travelling from the other side of the world on multiple enclosed tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

I realized this morning I had run out of contact lenses. Silly mistake on my part, but I said, sure I'll call my local optometrist to fulfill my prescription.
                                                                                  I called and they didn't have any in stock, she told me my prescription was out of date and I needed an eye test. No time this week but need contacts, can we schedule one for after Christmas but you give me contacts today?
                                                                                  Nope.

So what are my options?

Can I come right now?

Ok cool, understandable, can you give me some demos to get me through the next few days, I don't mind paying.

Now, I don't know what it's like in Ireland but I can just shop online for contacts without a prescription. Given this experience, I think I'll just do that in future. Talk about trying as hard as you can to drive customers away.
                                                                                  Had the exact same experience with specsavers before flying home. Called in to pick up a spare box or two. Told prescription was expired, and couldn’t sell them without a re-test. Ask why and was told because they are medical devices I could need for driving.

Right…in refusing me I walk out wearing my current glasses in the same prescription.
                                                                                  Also lost a customer to some website

Comment

The lst couple of years i've been helping to organise collections and care packages for the homeless community in Fort Worth. Put together over 300 for christmas morning. The guy who usually hosts had a stroke so cant use his office which is close to the tent cities they have. Sure ill host it, only down the road. 2 couples tested positive, another friend's wife tested positive and he goes ill just isolate, asked him if he has his booster, doesnt even have the first shot, said he was in line twice for it and got bored waiting so just bailed. What is wrong with these people.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Nope.

So what are my options?

Can I come right now?

had a similar problem trying to get a pair of prescription sunglasses. Told me the same thing. Never bothered getting them as a result. My eyesight is fine. I had enough experience of deteriorating eye sight over the years to know when I needed a stronger prescription.

was specsavers too. Such a bizarre rule.
                                                                                      Last edited by elbows; 23-12-21, 19:40.
                                                                                      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

What are yiz all at getting covid this close to xmas. Riddled hoors. At least mellor has the excuse of travelling from the other side of the world on multiple enclosed tubes.
                                                                                        Careful fucking with the BBV. Pray for Dobby.

Comment

I don't know enough about football to disagree with you but that certainly doesn't ring through with athletics.

Looked up a couple of results there and the best woman in the world over 5000m would comfortably have beaten most of the field in this year's men's senior national champs. She would have came third 8 secs behind the winner.

I'd assume golf is similar, not sure why football would be different.
                                                                                          I think think there’s a huge difference between national championships and world championships. Everyone at the world championships is elite, both sexes. Not the same at national championships.

The difference in the 5000m WR between the two is huge. Women are not going to compete on the same level as men. And there’s no reason that should be held against women’s sport. It’s relevant to a battle of the sexes event discussion but not enjoyment separate make/female events.

Comment

One good thing I found yesterday was the anxiety around catching the fucking thing evaporating. A sense of 'fuck it, let's make the best of it'

I'm looking forward now to spending the day just us. Cooking a full dinner anyway.

Also thankful I won't be in an absolute mess on Stephens day. Every year without fail my wife and her Mam head off to bed earlyish and I get fucked up with her brother and sister.

A couple of planned visits that I'm delighted are out the window too.

We've also put loose plans in place for a family day as soon as is doable.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                              I think think there’s a huge difference between national championships and world championships. Everyone at the world championships is elite, both sexes. Not the same at national championships.

The difference in the 5000m WR between the two is huge. Women are not going to compete on the same level as men. And there’s no reason that should be held against women’s sport. It’s relevant to a battle of the sexes event discussion but not enjoyment separate make/female events.
                                                                                              Oh yeah, I agree. I was responding to Dice though when he said the world's best women footballers wouldn't beat a non league club. The world's best female athletes would beat most national bests.

Agree now with Dice as football is a lot different to running, in terms of contact.

Comment

"Big lenses" the next mountain to crumble....hopefully....
                                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                  "Big lenses" the next mountain to crumble....hopefully....
                                                                                                  I wasn't aware that people still used contacts. Literally everyone I know who used to use them, and even those who had laser eye surgery, all reverted to wearing specs. Might be an older person thing though.
                                                                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

Careful fucking with the BBV. Pray for Dobby.
                                                                                                    Ha. Wont be seeing anyone now until Stephens day, at which point idgaf if I get it afterwards cos I'll have my Christmas plans finished by then and we're staying at home for new years anyway. Prayers appreciated though, I know Lazare will light a candle.

Comment

The only women's sport (outside of the olympics) I watch is MMA, and for the most part the women aren't great in comparison to men but gradually over time their level is improving and the talent pool slightly growing and this is MMA ffs, not a lot of people want to be punched in the face for a living. I'd put that down to the biggest organisation (the UFC, others did it previously but the UFC has the eyeballs) putting women's fight mixed in with men's and then you get lucky and a Ronda Rousey (she was growing before UFC but they moved her popularity up a level) level star comes along and you can have women's fights headling PPV's and selling over a million at $60 a pop.
                                                                                                      Same for me with MMA. Regularly watch women’s fights. I agree that they aren’t on the men’s level in terms of talent pool. But I don’t think talent = enjoyment. Two elite men can have a boring statement match. And equally a women’s match could be far more exciting despite the talent depth. Hands down some of the best fights this year have been two women.

Comment

Watching the darts . Some of these boys playing like wimmin.

Comment

Watching the darts . Some of these boys playing like wimmin.
                                                                                                          Darts and snooker are the 2 'sports' where I never got the reason for having womens and mens versions.

Comment

Darts and snooker are the 2 'sports' where I never got the reason for having womens and mens versions.
                                                                                                            If they're good enough, women can play with the men

Comment

Same with chess, i'd imagine its just down to volume of players but only one woman in the top 100 chess players seems very low to me.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

If they're good enough, women can play with the men
                                                                                                                Ah, I didn't know that. I still using my beta blockers (and not just the lack of any ability) as the reason I can't play professionally

Comment

Google the name Fallon Sherrock

Comment

HJ attempting humour . My work here is done.

Next.
                                                                                                                    My father used to get a couple oranges from Santy. And according to him, lucky to get them. There were no toys etc.
                                                                                                                    You're not exactly wrong.

Comment

For the contact lense discussion

feelgoodcontacts
                                                                                                                      visiondirect

I can vouch for the former. Once you know your prescription you'll have your order within about 48 hours at anything up to 50% less than an optician in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

My father used to get a couple oranges from Santy. And according to him, lucky to get them. There were no toys etc.
                                                                                                                        You're not exactly wrong.
                                                                                                                        My mother used to tell us about the even poorer children calling around to them to borrow shoes so they could go to mass. I really regret not recording her voice.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by ComradeCollie; 23-12-21, 22:45.

Comment

My mother used to tell us about the even poorer children calling around to them to borrow shoes so they could go to mass. I really regret not recording her voice and the way she'd tell them.
                                                                                                                          A different era for sure. My parents grew up just at the advent of television. I think they were lucky enough to have a black&white tv in the house in the earlyish 60s or so.

But it's really the story of the oranges that gets me. 25 years later i had a computer console from Santa but they were looking forward to a piece of fruit before that.

I get whoever said we've advancing hugely (paraphrasing) all thoughout time (or at least recent time) but we can only relate to what we know really.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X