This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
    I'd originally planned to learn to drive in 2020 but right before my birthday that year we went into lockdown so it was a non runner but now that I'm turning 40 next month I asked the wife to get me some driving lessons. Anybody on here new to driving that can point me in the direction of resources to look up on for my test and anything else I need to do?

Any and all help greatly appreciated BBV.
    Hitch has documented his learning to drive experiences on here in the last year, but like most things (sorry Hitch) he may not be the example that you want to follow!

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

How much would one of those trackman setups cost, any idea? The golf club here is about 10k to join so it might actually be better value
      Trackman is about 16k ish and has all the bells and whistles.

Skytrak or flights cope Mevo+ are the everyday man ones. Both are ~€2500 and would have most of the same details but missing a few parameters that won't exactly matter to an amateur. Skytrak is the better one I think as its open source so people can design their own courses and upload them I think hence you can play "Augusta" when on trackman you can't.

Projector and impact screen is about 1k. Think there's a yearly subscription too of about 1k.

Saving for a house but the missus has been told that there's a spare room(or even a garage) with one going in it. I couldn't give a shite about the rest of the house​​​​​​

One of the guys put a garage and full setup out in his small ish garden for 6k. Garage has to be tall enough for full swings and big enough for a bar
      Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

I'd originally planned to learn to drive in 2020 but right before my birthday that year we went into lockdown so it was a non runner but now that I'm turning 40 next month I asked the wife to get me some driving lessons. Anybody on here new to driving that can point me in the direction of resources to look up on for my test and anything else I need to do?

It's a while since I looked at this. Not sure if you need help with the theory test but there were a couple of websites that you could use which had all of the questions. You're as well to just start grinding away on that as studying the book tbh. After a few days you should be able to easily get a pass 9/10 times. Sorry I don't remember the specific apps/sites but there probably easy to find.

Regarding the actual driving test, it is a bit of ballache tbh. I did the test in my instructors car and also did 2 pre-tests with my instructor (former tester). It probably cost me an extra €200 but it meant that I passed first time. I knew the usual routes for my area and got some great feedback on obvious things that I was going to pulled on. If you have the option I'd recommend doing a pre-test/practice run a day or two before your own test. Well worth it.

While on the topic of driving, the amount of accidents I've come across lately has stood out. Whether it's a minor tip in town or something more serious. Starting to think a lot of people are back on the road driving in traffic or commuting regularly with very little recent driving practice over the last 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post

Skytrak or flights cope Mevo+ are the everyday man ones. Both are ~€2500 and would have most of the same details but missing a few parameters that won't exactly matter to an amateur. Skytrak is the better one I think as its open source so people can design their own courses and upload them I think hence you can play "Augusta" when on trackman you can't.

Projector and impact screen is about 1k. Think there's a yearly subscription too of about 1k.

Saving for a house but the missus has been told that there's a spare room(or even a garage) with one going in it. I couldn't give a shite about the rest of the house​​​​​​

One of the guys put a garage and full setup out in his small ish garden for 6k. Garage has to be tall enough for full swings and big enough for a bar
          Played Augusta or the equivalent of it in the Kclub. We were off the members tees and I drove it into the lake on 11 and was close enough to the 10th green too. It was good craic but generally find the simulators a bit of a pain to play on as short game is poxy hard. We set up gimmies from 6 ft but it still took forever and we only ended up playing 13 holes. More fun smashing drivers on the range to see how far you can hit it.
          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Hitch has documented his learning to drive experiences on here in the last year, but like most things (sorry Hitch) he may not be the example that you want to follow!
            Originally posted by coillcam View Post

It's a while since I looked at this. Not sure if you need help with the theory test but there were a couple of websites that you could use which had all of the questions. You're as well to just start grinding away on that as studying the book tbh. After a few days you should be able to easily get a pass 9/10 times. Sorry I don't remember the specific apps/sites but there probably easy to find.

Regarding the actual driving test, it is a bit of ballache tbh. I did the test in my instructors car and also did 2 pre-tests with my instructor (former tester). It probably cost me an extra €200 but it meant that I passed first time. I knew the usual routes for my area and got some great feedback on obvious things that I was going to pulled on. If you have the option I'd recommend doing a pre-test/practice run a day or two before your own test. Well worth it.

While on the topic of driving, the amount of accidents I've come across lately has stood out. Whether it's a minor tip in town or something more serious. Starting to think a lot of people are back on the road driving in traffic or commuting regularly with very little recent driving practice over the last 2 years.
            Cheers for this gents. Hopefully Hitch will give me the low down when he sees this.
            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Lads with the greatest of respect. With the handicaps/scores that 95% of you talk about. Trackman or the equivalent would be some waste of money. What do you think you're gonna learn from it and if you learn anything do you think you will be able to correct it?

You'd need a very good golfing IQ to be able to assess your own video and improve.
              If improvement is what you're looking for. Put all the money into lessons, not just long game bit short game too.

Don't mind the idea of a studio in the garage if you have a few quid and space but can't see it getting much more use as a pool table or some other dust gathering piece. As Elbows said. They're pretty boring unless you're getting fitted for a club and trying to find something or compare.

I've gone completely fair weather at the moment. Took my clubs out for the first time since Halloween Bank Holiday last week. In Howth. The views were just incredible. Got lost in them so many times. I have vouchers for The Island and European to use before the end of March so looking forward to the spring, Should get a better run at the club comps this year with the kids a bit older.

Hope everyone has a great year on the links.

Comment

I need to do something similar.
                Stupid adulthood.

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

lol at people reaching 40 and not knowing how to drive!

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I need to do something similar.
                    Stupid adulthood.

It's definitely something I should've done a long time ago. Will hopefully help me with my photography being able to go places and photograph and to be able to take on jobs I've turned down because of lack of transport.

Comment

Living right outside the city centre of Dublin and having multiple modes of transport is much easier than that country life that if you need a pint of milk you've to drive for 25 minutes to your local shop

I did "drive" back in the day I had a little moped but I think having a car is a better form of getting around.

Comment

Had some free days with a lucky college timetable this semester so fired off a load of emails to schools a few weeks ago to see if they needed any supervision help. Didnt expect anything but thought it would look great on my future CV if I could get some days here and there.

Started in a school today and has real "You let Dougal do a funeral" vibe to it so far so good though.

Comment

I went everywhere by bike until i hit 30. I hated cars and everything about them. I reluctantly bought my 1st car and look on it as the beginning of old age . People who live in rural areas i guess need the jalopy more.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I went everywhere by bike until i hit 30. I hated cars and everything about them. I reluctantly bought my 1st car and look on it as the beginning of old age . People who live in rural areas i guess need the jalopy more.
                            Living in a modern city should mean that buying a car is a matter of choice, rather than a necessity.

Dublin isn't anywhere near at that point yet but it's something to aim for as we should be incentivising drivers to get off the road as much as possible.
                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                              Lads with the greatest of respect. With the handicaps/scores that 95% of you talk about. Trackman or the equivalent would be some waste of money. What do you think you're gonna learn from it and if you learn anything do you think you will be able to correct it?.
                              Are people not allowed to enjoy it in itself? Seems a bit of a grim outlook tbh.

I agree that optimise your time/improvement would require a coach. But you can still enjoy progressing at a slow rate. Progress in any activity takes 1000s of hours (10k being the oft quoted number). Can’t imagine swinging at a screen a few thousand times wouldn’t help somewhat.

Comment

A question for anyone with WRC experience.
                                What is the enforcement methodology for WRC decisions.
                                It is just an instruction or advisement, how is it enforced?
                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Living in a modern city should mean that buying a car is a matter of choice, rather than a necessity.

Dublin isn't anywhere near at that point yet but it's something to aim for as we should be incentivising drivers to get off the road as much as possible.
                                  I don't disagree with that, but at the same time driving is a life skill that people should learn when fairly young even if they don't intend on buying a car any time soon. I was a late learner myself. After a few lessons at 17 I didn't drive a car again until I was 23, and passed my test a couple of months later. EZ game.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

My car was written off by a truck who hit it when it was parked outside. Haven’t bother to replaced it. That was almost 3 years ago. No bother getting around between Public transport, Uber and carshares around the place.

Comment

Future generations will look back at cars the way we view slavery now

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                        Yeah, they definitely won't.

But I do take the point.
                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

I don't disagree with that, but at the same time driving is a life skill that people should learn when fairly young even if they don't intend on buying a car any time soon. I was a late learner myself. After a few lessons at 17 I didn't drive a car again until I was 23, and passed my test a couple of months later. EZ game.
                                          Swimming is the life skill everyone should have from a young age . Going off piste here i guess

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

Yeah, they definitely won't.

But I do take the point.
                                            I think they will look at meat eaters that way though i still cant fully kick the habit

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

My car was written off by a truck who hit it when it was parked outside. Haven’t bother to replaced it. That was almost 3 years ago. No bother getting around between Public transport, Uber and carshares around the place.
                                              You live in Sydney right? (or Melbourne)

Public transport is OK-ish (not quite European standards) with the wonderful bonus of those harbour ferries. Aren't the outlying suburbs pretty sprawling although guessing you don't live there.

Comment

Hey your grandparents drove a Nissan?

cancel Cancel . He mentioned the N word

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                  Are people not allowed to enjoy it in itself? Seems a bit of a grim outlook tbh.

I agree that optimise your time/improvement would require a coach. But you can still enjoy progressing at a slow rate. Progress in any activity takes 1000s of hours (10k being the oft quoted number). Can’t imagine swinging at a screen a few thousand times wouldn’t help somewhat.

Agreed. Buy a decent net for a couple of hundred quid and put the rest into lessons.

Comment

45, can't drive, can't swim. not missing out on anything
                                                    Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Why do I feel like this is a setup line for a Jimmy Carr joke?

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                        can't swim. not missing out on anything
                                                        Now here's a brave man thumbing his nose at the gods.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

45, can't drive, can't swim. not missing out on anything
                                                          can't swim as in never had proper lessons or can't swim as in won't get into water over waist high?

Comment

can't swim as in never had proper lessons or can't swim as in won't get into water over waist high?
                                                            never had lessons. I can go into a pool and feel relatively comfortable (mostly because I feel I can propel myself enough to reach and edge if something happens) but really don't like being in the sea. had a couple of near misses as a kid which no doubt influenced my reluctance but overall it's never felt like something I needed to change.

Don't really like lying around sunbathing so I don't spend a lot of time on beaches or by pools anyway. have only been to the beach maybe 5 times since moving here, and by beach I mean walked along the promenade..haven't actually set a foot in sand yet
                                                            Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                              Tis a bit Schmaltzy McHokey but while I don't watch 'Yellowstone' I'm really enjoying the prequel '1883'.

Taylor Sheridan could become the present-day version of Stephen J. Cannell.
                                                              Is this on over here for the layperson, Mrs loves Yellowstone.

Comment

Speaking of golf i'd say im well clear of Lazare after a decent run before the cut sitting on -1 after 33 holes.

Sorry Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Now here's a brave man thumbing his nose at the gods.
                                                                  Iago, being a smart man, has clearly taken no chances and picked his new home quite carefully

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Is this on over here for the layperson, Mrs loves Yellowstone.
                                                                    Streaming only I think. Officially on Paramount+. I expect most like myself are viewing on unofficial sources.
                                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Hitch could probably do with a dig out getting the new gaff ship shape......

If you’re not willing to go the whole hog, there's also the option to clean topless (€100 an hour) or in lingerie (€75 per hour).
                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Cheers for this gents. Hopefully Hitch will give me the low down when he sees this.
                                                                        My only useful advice is to find a driving instructor who you gel with. And to get twice the number of lessons you think you need. The testers are complete bollixes. I've a name of a good guy.
                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Agreed. Buy a decent net for a couple of hundred quid and put the rest into lessons.
                                                                          Oh yeah I was looking at it as in that looks like great craic as a fake way to play golf. I remember now from reading The Dan Plan years ago that the Trackman was an insane piece of kit for analyzing the swing down to minutia - I think I would be more in the market for the ones the two lads were talking about as in basically VR golf. I should probably suck it up and join the club though. My whole family play out there and even though I don't there's probably no way I won't later on.

Comment

Do as many lessons as you think you need . Before test book a pretest lesson

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

2/3rds of salary less the state disability benefit plus pension contributions is pretty good for income protection. In general, the insurers cap it at around 75% of salary from memory as they want there to be some motivation to return to work. The benefit in work would generally increase if you've received a salary increase as inter renewal pay increase are normally covered so I'd suggest you could just confirm that with HR or the benefits consultant.

Critical illness is a different product and easier to get as it's more definitive. You have a named illness/issue or you don't. The payments are normally lump sums and aren't a great match for the risk so i prefer IP if you can get it but if you are self employed or have a very variable income then you may only be able to get critical illness cover.

In your case where you are considering topping up a work policy make sure that you'll get paid in the event that something were to happen. If you are over insured from the two insurance companies persepctive they may pay you upto a max amount and split the costs of the claim between them.
                                                                              Thanks a lot for this. I still haven't gotten round to checking the work scheme but by the sounds of it and from memory I'd say I'm not a million miles away from what I would want to be safe.

Comment

Lads with the greatest of respect. With the handicaps/scores that 95% of you talk about. Trackman or the equivalent would be some waste of money. What do you think you're gonna learn from it and if you learn anything do you think you will be able to correct it?

You'd need a very good golfing IQ to be able to assess your own video and improve.
                                                                                If improvement is what you're looking for. Put all the money into lessons, not just long game bit short game too.

Don't mind the idea of a studio in the garage if you have a few quid and space but can't see it getting much more use as a pool table or some other dust gathering piece. As Elbows said. They're pretty boring unless you're getting fitted for a club and trying to find something or compare.

I've gone completely fair weather at the moment. Took my clubs out for the first time since Halloween Bank Holiday last week. In Howth. The views were just incredible. Got lost in them so many times. I have vouchers for The Island and European to use before the end of March so looking forward to the spring, Should get a better run at the club comps this year with the kids a bit older.

Hope everyone has a great year on the links.
                                                                                Agh I'm off 5 so not too bad. Very hooked at the moment and have visions of getting down to 1 or 2 this year. I like to practice but the course and range is 30 minutes from my house at the moment. And it's not even near work so can't just pop over after work so it's been tough. I'd like to play 3 times a week with 2 range sessions a week but not doable at the moment. Gone from 12 handicap 3 years ago so good progression. This winter even seeing some lightbulb moments with some good non qualifying scoring.

Skytrak at 2.5k/5k full setup would definitely get used. Between having a few lads over for a game or winter practice stuff I think it will easily be worth it
                                                                                Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

PS driving is redic easy.to learn . However - Stay in lane , be observant , use your mirrors , give culchies extra room at the red cow and move down gears when overtaking. Move up when getting the snow wheel spin. Its your 2nd biggest buy after the house so get advice when buying jalope.

Comment

Agh I'm off 5 so not too bad. Very hooked at the moment and have visions of getting down to 1 or 2 this year. I like to practice but the course and range is 30 minutes from my house at the moment. And it's not even near work so can't just pop over after work so it's been tough. I'd like to play 3 times a week with 2 range sessions a week but not doable at the moment. Gone from 12 handicap 3 years ago so good progression. This winter even seeing some lightbulb moments with some good non qualifying scoring.

Skytrak at 2.5k/5k full setup would definitely get used. Between having a few lads over for a game or winter practice stuff I think it will easily be worth it
                                                                                    Definitely get it done so we can have IPB golf masters around Augusta.
                                                                                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Off on another hike testing out my new waterproof jacket

Had some absolute fuckwit overtake a parked semi on narrow mountain road on a solid white forcing me to brake or collide.
                                                                                      The most extremely dangerous manouver I've seen in a while the stupid cxxt, deserves a proper SP rant. I wonder would that form part of a suitable punishment for these idiots....up in court..fine, points, ban and the most vitriolic, caustic, humiliating rant focusing not only on their utter disregard for others but dissecting exactly how their gene pool threw up this sub human moronic oxygen depleting idiot in the first place.

Wont spoil my hike.

Comment

Give us some tips on what youve learned to improve ?

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                          PS driving is redic easy.to learn . However - Stay in lane , be observant , use your mirrors , give culchies extra room at the red cow and move down gears when overtaking. Move up when getting the snow wheel spin. Its your 2nd biggest buy after the house so get advice when buying jalope.
                                                                                          I'm old enough to know I'm a fucking eejit and fully expect to make stupid mistakes.
                                                                                          I'm also old enough to comprehend the consequences of those mistakes.

I did drive when I was 20 but found I had no real need for it.

Comment

I'll be performing at this if any of ye are interested in a bit o' culture dccu.jpg
                                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                              I'll be performing at this if any of ye are interested in a bit o' culture dccu.jpg
                                                                                              Are you going to be Haydn or are you going to be Mozart?

Comment

Are you going to be Haydn or are you going to be Mozart?
                                                                                                Like Arnold Schwarzenegger: "I'll be Bach"

Comment

One year after starting the search, finally signed contracts to sell our house and buy a new one today. Should be in within the next four weeks, fingers crossed. Feels good to take this step, however prices go now.!

Comment

As long as you can get accurate spin number, which most of the radars will give you, you are set. At least from an improvement standpoint.

Buddy of mine launched a sim install business here year before last, he was creaming it with covid. Assume he will slow down now.

I have told the missus that in our new gaf I'm going balls to the wall with the set up.
                                                                                                    14ft height basement is mandatory.
                                                                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

The issue with the driving test, is not the actual driving, it's that they've turned it into a bastsrdisation of a driving test where the entire test is all about 'progress'. Go 47 ina 50 zone, that's a fail. I had some legitimate errors for my first fail, but the second fail was all just progress shite. They must have some failure targets.
                                                                                                      ​​​​​​
                                                                                                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                        The issue with the driving test, is not the actual driving, it's that they've turned it into a bastsrdisation of a driving test where the entire test is all about 'progress'. Go 47 ina 50 zone, that's a fail. I had some legitimate errors for my first fail, but the second fail was all just progress shite. They must have some failure targets.
                                                                                                        ​​​​​​
                                                                                                        ​​​​​​
                                                                                                        What speed are you supposed to do in a 50 zone to pass???

Comment

About seventy will be grand. Beeping anyone going 47 is encouraged too.

Comment

About seventy will be grand. Beeping anyone going 47 is encouraged too.
                                                                                                            While hanging out the window flicking V signs and smoking a fag.

Comment

Well it's written 'as conditions allow' so if there's no reason why you cant do 50, you should be doing 50.

Unfortunately you get old cunts thinking sauntering along at 75/80kph in a 100 is grand all the time,
                                                                                                              same cunts also do 75/80 then in a 60.
                                                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Heading to Paris early Friday for the match on Saturday. Anyone have any recommendations for quality lunch spots? Staying near Place Vendome so pretty central. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Well it's written 'as conditions allow' so if there's no reason why you cant do 50, you should be doing 50.

Unfortunately you get old cunts thinking sauntering along at 75/80kph in a 100 is grand all the time,
                                                                                                                  same cunts also do 75/80 then in a 60.
                                                                                                                  The issue is that this shouldn't be a condition of passing a driving test. Progress is something people pick up with a bit of experience.

Comment

Bringing the youngest kid to an ability test in CTYI next weekend. They have to do a vocabulary and reasoning test. My very basic question - would a kid in the equivalent of 1st class be expected to be able to read by themselves? Or would the assumption be that they would have the questions read to them at that age? He only does an hour or two a week in English, so probably wouldn't have English reading fully nailed down. But is grand with actually answering the sample questions.

Comment

Malta is very cool lots of stuff to do.

Did have a fellow IPB member stop me once while out walking along the seafront which was a pleasant surprise, wasn't Flushdraw.
                                                                                                                      Have a week of respite planned for father in law and considering booking 5 days airbnb in Malta.
                                                                                                                      We need a break and would prefer not to hit the canaries again (as suitable as that is for a 5 year old)

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

How much would one of those trackman setups cost, any idea? The golf club here is about 10k to join so it might actually be better value
                                                                                                                        Mad that was only reading this this morn and a customer today told me he fit curtains around one in a guys gaff in Dalkey. To catch wayward shots apparently.

Edit, more likely it was one of those 6k setups.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Lazare; 08-02-22, 20:47.
                                                                                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

A question for anyone with WRC experience.
                                                                                                                          What is the enforcement methodology for WRC decisions.
                                                                                                                          It is just an instruction or advisement, how is it enforced?
                                                                                                                          It is a legal ruling so same practical effect as a judgement/court order would have

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X