X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
    Ring Camera seems easy solution there
    yup already have Nest doorbell. Will also still need a dedicated alarm for House Insurance satisfaction though.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

yup already have Nest doorbell. Will also still need a dedicated alarm for House Insurance satisfaction though.
      Looks like Nest has left the home security space.
      Save big and protect more when you get an Alarm Pack plus an Indoor Cam (2nd Gen) at no additional cost.Simple to set up, easy to use and completely customisable to suit your needs, Ring Alarm Packs offer the power of a home security system in an affordable package that puts home protection in your hands. With a new lo

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Hope dubs like the sight of tractors and culchies in the city centre - you’ll be seeing a lot of it soon
        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
          History repeating itself it terrifying enough. However the US split like this between the ‘nuke em’ brigade and the ‘docile dems’ . The picture becomes even more terrifying. The Next Republican (trumpites) Government will be a BIG danger to the world. Maybe we need our Alien watchers to step up and slap a few anal probes on a few more yokels.

Another pints discussion recently. If we are part of a simulation then we are approaching a level where the Extra terrestrials enter the fray. If the programmers did not include this level in the simulation they are really missing a trick. It’s about ‘go time’ now. No way an adolescent creator is going to be happy with the current programme in it’s Pan-dumbing down, maybe they ran out of code or something. By now we should have evolved to have governments of Einsteins and Darwins. Instead we have Abbot and Costello to beat the band.
          Or we could just be a simulated entertainment game like Civilisation which anytime I played always ended with me laughing maniacally and pressing the red button..hmmm"

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

Shite German keyboard really. I presumed they would be standard American English type thing. Well that would have a been a disaster lol thanks!
            I've had a German laptop for the last two years and while its shite at telling jokes, the keyboard is zero bother. Its very very close to QWERTY and most of us never look at the keys anyway.
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
              Hope dubs like the sight of tractors and culchies in the city centre - you’ll be seeing a lot of it soon
              Us Dubs don't go into the city centre. Its only for culchie protestors, that's why the signature shop of O'Connell Street is Supermacs.

Comment

How the fuck are we going to have our house ready for the end of November.

SPOILER

Kitchen

30lnXZHl.jpg

Living room

GVttoTWl.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                  How the fuck are we going to have our house ready for the end of November.

SPOILER

Kitchen

30lnXZHl.jpg

Living room

GVttoTWl.jpg

We call that 'post-industrial distressed chic'. Very on-trend.
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I hope you've ordered the windows!

Comment

Thats some wallpaper stripper Hitch !
                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                        Thats some wallpaper stripper Hitch !
                        God be with the days when a post about Hitch and strippers had nothing to do with home improvements
                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Ref reached for the wrong pocket in the Lolerpool game?

Comment

In it all day long if I'm there

Comment

NFT Lottery, via Telegram

Free to enter BTW.
                              ​​​​​​
                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                Ref reached for the wrong pocket in the Lolerpool game?
                                I think he was going for yellow until Madrid player kept ignoring him.
                                It was a shit house tackle.

Comment

I think he was going for yellow until Madrid player kept ignoring him.
                                  It was a shit house tackle.
                                  Surely the VAR lads could have gone "eh, are you sure about that one? Looks a yellow to everyone else in the world."

Comment

Went to the dentists today knowing that I'd need a root canal job that I've been putting off for a long time that had gone past tolerable recently Because my regular dentist wasn't available at short notice and having VHI Dental I took the opportunity to use the vhi site to find a local dentist that would deal with them direct so that I wouldn't have to go through the monumental pain in the arse process of paying up front then doing all the paperwork and sending into VHI before getting reimbursed.
                                    I made the appointment and explained that I was coming to them from the VHI website and that I wanted VHI direct to settle with them, the only discussion we had was about when we could get a time to suit . Went in today and again told the receptionist that I would be using VHI direct. In to the dentist and after a quick x ray he is clear that I need a root canal he quickly explains the procedure as he's pumping me with Novocaine. An hour and a fair bit of drilling later I'm done for now and needing another session in a couple of weeks I stop at reception to book a date. Then yer woman announces "That will be €165 now and €500 the next day and here are your VHI forms that you can fill in at your leisure" , GTFO! I told you I wanted it settled direct by VHI, says I. She claims she told me that only one of the dentists in the place settles direct with VHI and the he doesn't do root canal work. Quite pissed off, not that its any great hardship to me really just a pain in the arse but I'm 100% certain that she never said anything of the sort to me and they are quite clearly fudging the whole thing to get the full benefit of using VHI direct without really.
                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                      Went to the dentists today knowing that I'd need a root canal job that I've been putting off for a long time that had gone past tolerable recently Because my regular dentist wasn't available at short notice and having VHI Dental I took the opportunity to use the vhi site to find a local dentist that would deal with them direct so that I wouldn't have to go through the monumental pain in the arse process of paying up front then doing all the paperwork and sending into VHI before getting reimbursed.
                                      I made the appointment and explained that I was coming to them from the VHI website and that I wanted VHI direct to settle with them, the only discussion we had was about when we could get a time to suit . Went in today and again told the receptionist that I would be using VHI direct. In to the dentist and after a quick x ray he is clear that I need a root canal he quickly explains the procedure as he's pumping me with Novocaine. An hour and a fair bit of drilling later I'm done for now and needing another session in a couple of weeks I stop at reception to book a date. Then yer woman announces "That will be €165 now and €500 the next day and here are your VHI forms that you can fill in at your leisure" , GTFO! I told you I wanted it settled direct by VHI, says I. She claims she told me that only one of the dentists in the place settles direct with VHI and the he doesn't do root canal work. Quite pissed off, not that its any great hardship to me really just a pain in the arse but I'm 100% certain that she never said anything of the sort to me and they are quite clearly fudging the whole thing to get the full benefit of using VHI direct without really.
                                      Sure just upload your receipts and the cash will be in your account in a couple of days.

Don't turn this into some Passport Office abomination.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                        I hope you've ordered the windows!
                                        What windows do I need?

Comment

I read this whole thing in a Larry David .voice

Comment

My four plots of virtual land in Sandbox, two bought for €900 each to some merriment on here, and two more bought directly for €250 each, seem to now be worth €16,000.

Comment

Do we have collective thoughts on big-leaf laurel as a hedge?

Comment

My four plots of virtual land in Sandbox, two bought for €900 each to some merriment on here, and two more bought directly for €250 each, seem to now be worth €16,000.
                                                That's half the windows sorted. Or a kitchen.

Comment

Do we have collective thoughts on big-leaf laurel as a hedge?
                                                  We talking shrubbery or fund?

Comment

Sure just upload your receipts and the cash will be in your account in a couple of days.

Don't turn this into some Passport Office abomination.
                                                    That's alright for the likes you but I have a biscuit tin for shite like that that gets opened every other year whether I need to or not.

Comment

That's half the windows sorted. Or a kitchen.
                                                      HODL
                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I read this whole thing in a Larry David .voice
                                                        I actually discussed the latest episode of curb with him and we agreed that loud Greek music might be an improvement on what he had playing on Lyric FM

He was an interesting guy, not least in that he is 79 years old and working away merrily.

Comment

We talking shrubbery or fund?
                                                          Its kinda a thing. €9 for year old laurel, or €25 for three and a half year old laurel. Its a fine investment.

Comment

Its kinda a thing. €9 for year old laurel, or €25 for three and a half year old laurel. Its a fine investment.
                                                            Is it portuguese laurel you are looking at?

Comment

Is it portuguese laurel you are looking at?
                                                              No, its common laurel: https://www.newlands.ie/Prunus-Lauro...9812108/33703/ would you have a thought on the two?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                Any home security experts on here?

Finally have keys to our gaf, now need to protect it from all of the feral animals from Terenure (if they ever drift too far west). Don't want to pay Phonewatch or similar, but want to self-monitor via an app. What's my go-to? Too many of the people we've been in touch with are 'just' sales for monitoring services.

Anyone have any experience ordering/setting up something like this https://simplisafe.co.uk/build-my-system ? Or would advise against all of the shite I've espoused above?

I use and recommend these guys. https://smartzone.ie

It gives you an integrated security system ( 24 hr monitored and cameras etc with sensors, break glass sound sensors and motion detection etc. ) heating control and lighting/smart switches system.

It can also be used to keep an eye on elderly relatives via sensors in their home. They have the Irish franchise for alarm.com based systems which are the market leaders in the US in this area and means most hardware on offer in the market is compatible with them and the app is pretty good and you can set up all sorts of smart “rules” for heating and lighting etc. Can have your heating coming on using a geofence and your smartphone. Can setup personalised alarm codes for your cleaner to only have access to your house on a specific day or setup a personalised pin code for your MIL for example.

Physical hardware such as digital locks, electric gate controllers, video doorbells etc. tend to be fully compatible with alarm.com. Also gets a discount with Aviva home insurance and compatible with getting a grant for heating control if your house is eligible. The combined heating and insurance savings more than pays for the monthly security monitoring costs for us.

Looks like I can get 150 for referring you if you’re interested so drop me a pm if you want to consider using them.

‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Couldnt think of a way to describe something in class today that was a load of bollox so I said to the lecturer "I cant think of the words but I think that's a load of bollx" then outlined my reasons why. She laughed and agreed with me. College is handy. That was a note home and detention in school.

Comment

Us Dubs don't go into the city centre. Its only for culchie protestors, that's why the signature shop of O'Connell Street is Supermacs.
                                                                    I had always thought you were from Clare for some reason

Comment

Google nest WiFi, yay or nay?

Have no issue with the listening element of it, just wondering how effective it is really.
                                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Q: Why did the Chicken cross the road ?

ANS : To get to the idiots house.

SPOILER
                                                                        KNOCK KNOCK

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Have no issue with the listening element of it, just wondering how effective it is really.
                                                                          It's very good. Been using it for a year and now have WiFi everywhere whereas before the crappy modem and whatever extenders we had couldn't send WiFi into the bedroom. Now it's everywhere.

Comment

I was all over it but decided to test TP link powerlines instead.
                                                                            Saved me a fortune as they do everything I need.

Comment

Only caught this because it was on Frankie Boyles show. When I have a drunken accident, going on TV to talk about it would be the last thing I'd consider doing about it.

Comment

Today's rundown of houses I like, brought to you by not wanting to do anything that Hitch is doing, though still not gone and got approval with avant/ICS.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...blin-7/4542892 (right beside where I live in town)

9, Brighton Avenue,, Clontarf, Dublin 3, 2 Bed, asking price €495,000, brought to market by Aidan Daly Auctioneers, Residential - 4525336 (rated B3)

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                  Today's rundown of houses I like, brought to you by not wanting to do anything that Hitch is doing, though still not gone and got approval with avant/ICS.
                                                                                  I'd much prefer the 1st one. The absence of a garden would be the only small negative.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                    Only caught this because it was on Frankie Boyles show. When I have a drunken accident, going on TV to talk about it would be the last thing I'd consider doing about it.

They're victims too.

Comment

would anyone know a plumber?

(I need advice on a bathroom)

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I'd much prefer the 1st one. The absence of a garden would be the only small negative.
                                                                                        That and not as good light, still my fav.

Comment

I was all over it but decided to test TP link powerlines instead.
                                                                                          Saved me a fortune as they do everything I need.
                                                                                          Have trouble with those with both Huawei phones in the house.

Comment

I (finally) got a plumber I wanted on the phone yesterday. Booked him to do some work. He'll be out in February. Said he'd swing by to look at it and quote. Before Christmas.

Be prepared. You'll want somebody good. The good ones are booked until Spring.

If someone's available right now don't go near them.

Comment

I (finally) got a plumber I wanted on the phone yesterday. Booked him to do some work. He'll be out in February. Said he'd swing by to look at it and quote. Before Christmas.

Be prepared. You'll want somebody good. The good ones are booked until Spring.

If someone's available right now don't go near them.
                                                                                              There are plumbers that do call out? For small jobs, should be grand.

I doubt Hitch has done anything as crazy as rip out all his bathroom fittings ().

Comment

I doubt Hitch has done anything as crazy as rip out all his bathroom fittings ().
                                                                                                They won't come near you for small jobs. Emergencies sure, but not jobs that can wait.

Comment

I'm not personally doing it. I've hired someone to make these mistakes for me.

Comment

Suppose I better keep the shitter and the sink there, and we can bathe in the local swimming pool

Comment

The same is true for most trades. Basically, don't trust someone who puts a leaflet in your door or has an ad out in the local newspaper. Or is available now.

The best guys are flat to the mat on referrals. Word of mouth is the single biggest driver of business at the moment due to social media.

If you're not getting word of mouth business and need to send out leaflets right now you're not to be hired.

Comment

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...blin-7/4542892 (right beside where I live in town)

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...blin-3/4525336
                                                                                                        3 has the advantage of some HHE neighbours near by. Bit of a dead zone in terms of pubs, shops etc.

Although the price is ~150k under what it'll make imo.

Comment

Suppose I better keep the shitter and the sink there, and we can bathe in the local swimming pool
                                                                                                          Get an electrician to stick in an electric shower if the old one is banjaxed?

Comment

I can give you this guys number if you wish Hitch. He's a French chap so you might be able to charm him into a quicker turnaround. Don't skip me though

Comment

#1 looks the best, but I'm guessing #3 probably the best location (by a ways) and not too shabby either.

I'm having a bit of trouble with our planned purchase actually, verbally agreed to buy a new build this day last week, sent on personal and solicitor details to the EA in the afternoon, got an acknowledgment of receipt, and zero since then, despite another email on Monday and a voicemail yesterday morning. No sign of the bank account details to send in our deposit to properly secure the house. Usually that's the first thing an EA sends you, as that's how they get paid! Gonna have to call again and again I guess. Very wary of getting burned for a 2nd time in our long hunt to move.

Comment

3 has the advantage of some HHE neighbours near by. Bit of a dead zone in terms of pubs, shops etc.

Bidding seems quite random, this place I like has been on there for months and they've put the price down 10k https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...blin-7/4540771
                                                                                                                Meanwhile in middle of nowhere new builds

PskZ8ZNl.jpg

A friend just bought one of these new builds for 385k fully furnished, now they are 505k without appliances

SZxGkRQl.jpg
                                                                                                                Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 04-11-21, 13:33.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

#1 looks the best, but I'm guessing #3 probably the best location (by a ways) and not too shabby either.

I'm having a bit of trouble with our planned purchase actually, verbally agreed to buy a new build this day last week, sent on personal and solicitor details to the EA in the afternoon, got an acknowledgment of receipt, and zero since then, despite another email on Monday and a voicemail yesterday morning. No sign of the bank account details to send in our deposit to properly secure the house. Usually that's the first thing an EA sends you, as that's how they get paid! Gonna have to call again and again I guess. Very wary of getting burned for a 2nd time in our long hunt to move.
                                                                                                                  For most people 3 for sure - other people want kids, I prefer location of 1 as it's 100 metres from my brunch spot, different lifestyles.
                                                                                                                  I've been hearing quite bad stories of people getting ignored and then been told sorry we have enough interest etc, prices going up and so on, hope you get it sorted.

Comment

Is number 3 really Clontarf? I genuinely don't know but always put that side of the Howth Road as either Fairview or Marino and then Killester when you got further up.

Although, I do remember somebody I knew through work refer to a large section of that area as NOHO (North of the Howth Road) after they bought a house there to make it sound super cool. I never spoke to them again after that

Comment

brother is a plumber. PM me if you want

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Is number 3 really Clontarf? I genuinely don't know but always put that side of the Howth Road as either Fairview or Marino and then Killester when you got further up.

Although, I do remember somebody I knew through work refer to a large section of that area as NOHO (North of the Howth Road) after they bought a house there to make it sound super cool. I never spoke to them again after that
                                                                                                                        It's kinda where Clontarf, Marino and Fairview join up. EAs will always say Clontarf obv.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

I have a house if you are interested. Just needs a bit of improvement.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X