This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

China have a few years where they can throw their weight around before the disaster that is their demographics drags them back into the ranks of not quite super power. Which you should know if you have read almost anything about China and Taiwan and why the danger of China invading is quite large in the short term.

China is 90% driven by global economic ambitions these days. Taiwan is a footnote in that story. The demographics are probably not all that serious once they transition towards focusing on quality of life, as they'll probably just import 100m Indians, the same as the rest of the advanced Asian nations. So their population isn't a static projection, the same as importing of people played such a large role for American economic growth.
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      Does Russia have some valid reasons to be deeply suspicious of a hostile neighbouring country
      Just a thought, I might be mad but consider that the reason why the Ukraine feels hostile towards Russia is because Russia has developed a habit of stealing bits of it by force?

Or indeed stuff like centuries of oppression by Moscow, including a deliberately engineered famine that killed millions.

It's almost like you're suggesting this is the Ukraine's fault.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
        IYour takes on Russia are pretty funny though. An amphibious attack group passes into the Med, massive troop build up on the Belarusian border near Kiev and an enormous deployment of forces to the eastern border as well and you say this is run of the mill stuff being hyped by the West for some unspecified gain? Good man. The Rooskies might do absolutely nothing. That does not mean this is absolutely nothing. It is also not normal for countries to mass troops on each others borders. That is not a normal part of geopolitical strategy unless there is a live chance of a shooting war.
        Putin's little green men are already fighting in the Donbass region for years now, let's not forget that fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

So the times that Russia, since Communism, has attacked Abkhazia, Transnistria, North Ossetia, Chechnya, Dagestan, Georgia, Chechnya again, the Crimea and Eastern Ukraine.

Were they just standard military posturing? Or fake news, or the US made them do it, or something?
          Oh do the list of countries that the US has attacked next!

I'm also keen to hear about the Transnistria attack.

And whether any of those regions were predominantly populated with Russian populations under threat from their own nation. And what you would suggest they should have done to protect their own people in those regions. Maybe a sternly worded email ending in 'I await your response with impatience'.

Comment

Just a thought, I might be mad but consider that the reason why the Ukraine feels hostile towards Russia is because Russia has developed a habit of stealing bits of it by force?

Or indeed stuff like centuries of oppression by Moscow, including a deliberately engineered famine that killed millions.

It's almost like you're suggesting this is the Ukraine's fault.
            That's such a mad perspective, I can't even tell if you hit your head repeatedly while typing it. Ukraine dominated USSR not 'Moscow'.

Comment

That's such a mad perspective, I can't even tell if you hit your head repeatedly while typing it. Ukraine dominated USSR not 'Moscow'.
              OK, Moscow\Saint Petersburg if we want to be geographically accurate about where the Red Tsars and the White Tsars sat.

Not sure what we call Putin. Definitely a wannabe Tsar of some sort though.

Comment

One smaller thing I find fascinating is the US using economic tools like this. They tried similar against China over access to chip design and Android. But the only possible long-term outcome to this approach is that the rest of the world develop their own independent systems for financial transfers and technology development. Thus breaking valuable Western monopolies. Like there's no victory for the West in these moves when taken against a large enough country that is able to fix the problems.

US made moves before where they were threatening Russian ability to raise international debt, so Russia just paid down the debt and now that's a lost income line for the West.

There must be similar moves in China at the moment on breaking all manner of previous Western monopolies.

The likes of India seem to also be paying attention of trying to ensure they never get into the same situation. Where's the Western gain?

Comment

This is fucking brilliant!!

Her sky-ness
                  © 5starpool

Comment

Ha, this is good.

I'm +4 after 22 days.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

China is 90% driven by global economic ambitions these days. Taiwan is a footnote in that story. The demographics are probably not all that serious once they transition towards focusing on quality of life, as they'll probably just import 100m Indians, the same as the rest of the advanced Asian nations. So their population isn't a static projection, the same as importing of people played such a large role for American economic growth.
                      Every sentence in this is wrong!

1 - China has made several very strong moves this year that run directly contrary to their global economic ambitions

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/05/t...n-layoffs.html

"The crackdown is killing the entrepreneurial drive that made China a tech power and destroying jobs that used to attract the country’s brightest."

2 - Taiwan is never a footnote to China, it's actually the opposite. Taiwan is a direct threat to the CCPs legitimacy. How do you think the CCP feels about a free liberal democracy a short distance from their shores?

3 - Demographics are always extremely serious. It is probably the key element in driving economic growth. (https://www.investopedia.com/article...ve-economy.asp) More and more of Chinas GDP is going to be spent supporting its rapidly ageing population. You can't just open the floodgates and hope to foster a culture of immigration - The US's entire history and culture is based around immigration - Chinas history is basically the opposite. The US speaks English, which is most of the worlds second language.

Do you know what % of the Chinese population now are immigrants? As of 2015, it's 0.07 per cent. Americas is 14%. That's a factor of 200! For a multitude of reasons, China will never be able to count on strong immigration, even if the CCP collapsed it would be too difficult culturally.

https://www.macrotrends.net/countrie...ion-statistics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigr...s%20population.

Last edited by Hectorjelly; 26-01-22, 21:43.

Comment

Every sentence in this is wrong!

1 - China has made several very strong moves this year that run directly contrary to their global economic ambitions

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/05/t...n-layoffs.html

"The crackdown is killing the entrepreneurial drive that made China a tech power and destroying jobs that used to attract the country’s brightest."

Genuinely, only a US newspaper could write an article that flawed. What China cracked down on was mainly emerging monopolies, and anti-social activities (grind schools). The owners of those monopolies didn't like it. But its well established that monopolies are woeful for the long-term wealth of a country. Where the US newspaper sees a flaw, its actually excellent long-term planning. And then, yeah, cracking down on online grind schools - I feel grinds are a net cost to society, even if the amount of grinds counts towards growth in GDP. That perspective demonstrates excellently the differences between the short-termism of the West (grow, grow, grow, at any cost) and Asia where longer-term strategic moves are worth bits of short-term loss.

For shame, HJ, for shame.

Comment

And even Japan, the most famously hostile nation in the world to non-natives has managed to start a major build up of immigration. Already up near 3%, and likely to be 20% in the coming decades. There will be tensions, but there will always be poor people somewhere who value the economic opportunities. Not that its great news - hopefully they can encourage families to start to have more natural sized families now. Its probably going to be very hard to change that trend though.

Comment

The Tourist veers between ludicrous and intriguing every 5 minutes.
                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                              Ha, this is good.

I'm +4 after 22 days.

20 days @ +3

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                Anyone looking for something to watch The Responder is quality
                                Martin Freeman really is a king. Such a madly versatile actor. The Office, Fargo, this fine offering now. Completely different in each one.

Comment

One smaller thing I find fascinating is the US using economic tools like this.
                                  Really interesting that this is being touted as a way of really hurting Putin, not sure if it;s ignorance or hubris. There is an much more that is interesting about it that I don't have the bandwith for now but a few points

Yes it would be a really powerful tool that could quickly cripple their economy... if only they didn't have a replacement sitting ready to go, google SFPS. I'ts not certain it will be able to run at scale out of the box but they have been live and testing at a small scale for a good while.
                                  Putin understands the power of banking more than anyone, he owns all of them!

There is a wider point that this could provide some insight for some of the cryptotards as to why they have not got anything that even resembles a scalable transactional currency but that's another days work.
                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I was speaking to someone recently who was talking about just how low the cost and high the reliability of crypto-transfers have become. Specifically Tether. Something like 20 cent a transfer no matter the amount. I think there's a decent case that regular transfer routes are dead, they just haven't been explicitly killed yet. The system is highly scaleable to infinity and innately almost cost free. Its completely the future.

Comment

And even Japan, the most famously hostile nation in the world to non-natives has managed to start a major build up of immigration. Already up near 3%, and likely to be 20% in the coming decades. There will be tensions, but there will always be poor people somewhere who value the economic opportunities. Not that its great news - hopefully they can encourage families to start to have more natural sized families now. Its probably going to be very hard to change that trend though.
                                      Capture.JPG

It took Japan 10 years to add about 50% to their non-native population, and Japan is a highly desirable location, a functioning democracy that is already well integrated with the world. We even have a name for westerners obsessed with Japanese culture!

So based on this (which is your example), if China has the same growth rate as Japan, they are on course to reach the figure of 4.03% in 2122!

Attached Files

Comment

Had Friel at the Abbey cancelled last week and another gig I was looking forward to on Saturday has been postponed, hopefully I'll get a clear run at the Thystes in Gowran tomorrow, already one of the lads was gong with has had to cancel. Need to dodge two potential roadbumps in the morning and then in gone.

Two against the field in the big race: Mr Fogpatches and Diol Ker both much shorter prices than I'd expected I think the former is still ew value at c. 14s
                                        Tiger Bay Queen is fancied against the Mullins hotpot in the bumper

Place pot / jackpot
                                        3 4 11 18
                                        3 5
                                        2 3 10 18
                                        17 18

Comment

Ha, this is good.

I'm +4 after 22 days.

I'm -1. 20 days.
                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Wordle 222 3/6

Image looked fine In editor

I make it that I'm 5 under after 29
                                            Last edited by Strewelpeter; 27-01-22, 00:49.

Comment

Capture.JPG

It took Japan 10 years to add about 50% to their non-native population, and Japan is a highly desirable location, a functioning democracy that is already well integrated with the world. We even have a name for westerners obsessed with Japanese culture!

So based on this (which is your example), if China has the same growth rate as Japan, they are on course to reach the figure of 4.03% in 2122!
                                              That was indeed my example! A poor one with hindsight as the data demolishes it. I would suggest a secondary hypothesis - China has a vast disapora and related population who can be encouraged to 'come home' for the right economic incentive. Ergo Vietnam, South Korea, North Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia, also a decent bit of the Indian borders. Japan has none of that. So China will have the same economic incentives in due course, is also a much more open culture than the Japanese, and has this vast diaspora to draw on.

Comment

I'm clearly an illiterate klutz,
                                                only ever seem to squeak it on my last chance.

Wordle 222 6/6

btw - How do you attach the coloured squares thingy?
                                                Last edited by DeeBrown; 27-01-22, 05:05.

Comment

That was indeed my example! A poor one with hindsight as the data demolishes it. I would suggest a secondary hypothesis - China has a vast disapora and related population who can be encouraged to 'come home' for the right economic incentive. Ergo Vietnam, South Korea, North Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia, also a decent bit of the Indian borders. Japan has none of that. So China will have the same economic incentives in due course, is also a much more open culture than the Japanese, and has this vast diaspora to draw on.
                                                  There’s a large population of Japanese in North South America. A diaspora of about 4m. The Chinese diaspora is obviously greater, about 40m. But that’s expected, given the population of China is over 10x that of Japan.
                                                  I don’t think your point holds up when you look at it in a % of total basis.

Comment

Missed a 4 footer for birdie today

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                      Missed a 4 footer for birdie today
                                                      It's actually not all that difficult is it? Just requires a bit of thinking through it and reminding yourself not to get fancy as they're all pretty basic words.

Starting to get bored with it tbf.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

There’s a large population of Japanese in North South America. A diaspora of about 4m. The Chinese diaspora is obviously greater, about 40m. But that’s expected, given the population of China is over 10x that of Japan.
                                                        I don’t think your point holds up when you look at it in a % of total basis.
                                                        Always wondered how Peru ended up with such a large Japanese population. Didn't they recently have a Japanese president?

Comment

Ha, this is good.

I'm +4 after 22 days.

Plus 3 after 23 days, which includes a double bogey 6 today. They should assign +3 to all non guesses, but so far I've got them all.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                            I've three episodes left in this season and do agree it's very good.
                                                            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

I love how fat this squirrel is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_marmot

Comment

I love how fat this squirrel is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_marmot
                                                                if you go in the alps in the summer, you'll see hundreds of them when using the ski lifts

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

if you go in the alps in the summer, you'll see hundreds of them when using the ski lifts
                                                                  No wonder they are fat so... Lazy buggers
                                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Always wondered how Peru ended up with such a large Japanese population. Didn't they recently have a Japanese president?
                                                                    He appears to be a rather unsavoury character. Down with immigrants!

Comment

It's actually not all that difficult is it? Just requires a bit of thinking through it and reminding yourself not to get fancy as they're all pretty basic words.

Not really. I haven’t gotten one wrong yet. A lot depends on how you get on with your first couple guesses though. Blanks or even a yellow or two without a green can make it tricky.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Not really. I haven’t gotten one wrong yet. A lot depends on how you get on with your first couple guesses though. Blanks or even a yellow or two without a green can make it tricky.
                                                                        I've been using AUDIO and ROPES; mostly they seem to get you on the right track pretty quick.

The desire to use some fancy-schmancy word does frequently have to be suppressed.

Comment

I've no idea, but there are loads of Japanese in Brazil too, apparently, the best Japanese food (after Japan) is in Brazil.

Comment

Yep, my third line was a redic level on my part instead of going for the obvious

Comment

I've no idea, but there are loads of Japanese in Brazil too, apparently, the best Japanese food (after Japan) is in Brazil.
                                                                              Probably there was a shortage of manpower to work the farms\ranches in South America back at that point in time? Much like why the Chinese labourers came to work the railways in the US around the same era.

Comment

Probably there was a shortage of manpower to work the farms\ranches in South America back at that point in time? Much like why the Chinese labourers came to work the railways in the US around the same era.
                                                                                That's pretty close! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Brazilians

In 1907, the Brazilian and the Japanese governments signed a treaty permitting Japanese migration to Brazil. This was due in part to the decrease in the Italian immigration to Brazil and a new labour shortage on the coffee plantations.

Brazil is home to the largest Japanese population outside Japan

Comment

Any interest in a sweep for the Thyestes at Gowran @ 3.05pm (On RTE2) - 18 runners currently €20 a pop

€200
                                                                                  €100
                                                                                  €60

Honour system payment

First 18 in and i'll do a draw at 2.30pm

1) Dice
                                                                                  2) Dukey
                                                                                  3) DeadMoney
                                                                                  4) Ole
                                                                                  5) Elbows
                                                                                  6) HJ
                                                                                  7) Dice47 (aul lad)
                                                                                  8) KK82
                                                                                  9) BalfeJohn
                                                                                  10) Dobby
                                                                                  11) Shrap
                                                                                  12) Solks
                                                                                  13) Iona
                                                                                  14) Honda
                                                                                  15) Lplate
                                                                                  16) 6Starpool
                                                                                  17) Keane
                                                                                  Last edited by Dice75; 27-01-22, 14:29.

Comment

IN

Comment

In
                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

touch me
                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

in
                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

In
                                                                                            His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

In

Comment

In!

Comment

In

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                    Any interest in a sweep for the Thyestes at Gowran @ 3.05pm (On RTE2) - 18 runners currently €20 a pop

€200
                                                                                                    €100
                                                                                                    €60

Honour system payment

First 18 in and i'll do a draw at 2.30pm

1) Dice
                                                                                                    2) Dukey
                                                                                                    3) DeadMoney
                                                                                                    4) Ole
                                                                                                    5) Elbows
                                                                                                    6) HJ
                                                                                                    7) Dice47 (aul lad)
                                                                                                    8) KK82
                                                                                                    9) BalfeJohn
                                                                                                    10) Dobby
                                                                                                    11) Shrap

Attached Files

Comment

Throw another mug on the fireplace . In

Comment

Anyone watched BELFAST yet ?

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                          Anyone watched BELFAST yet ?
                                                                                                          Much ado about nothing imo.

Beautifully shot and acted though.

Comment

Also how Brazilian Jiu Jitsu developed as byproduct of early Judo.

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

Much ado about nothing imo.

Beautifully shot and acted though.
                                                                                                              Thats enough for me . Plus a good soundtrack.
                                                                                                              cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Plus 3 after 23 days, which includes a double bogey 6 today. They should assign +3 to all non guesses, but so far I've got them all.
                                                                                                                He actually did suggest that on a subsequent tweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                  Also how Brazilian Jiu Jitsu developed as byproduct of early Judo.
                                                                                                                  You are an MMA guy. ? How do you rate Jiu Jitsu over lets say Kempo or Shotok?

Comment

In for the sweep!

Comment

In for sweep if spaces left.
                                                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Bah, another (literal) coinflip for a 4 and lost.

+5 now.

Comment

Bah, another (literal) coinflip for a 4 and lost.

+5 now.
                                                                                                                          Or the multi possibilities of one like _ears

Saw a good one from Sean Lock on Countdown that someone forwarded..
                                                                                                                          Rachel Riley was demonstrating how she went sking one time by donning a Santa beard and a Viking helmet on the show
                                                                                                                          Sean Lock appraises her briefly and says "That's a challenging wank"

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X