This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Wordle Gummidge

New BBV thread, don't get any stains on it please.

oooooohhh shiny!

could've called it COVID 19 to be fair

Comment

• 6starpool
      6starpool commented
      Editing a comment
      test comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Crossbump from the other BBV!

15 players in the latest Alphabet Sheep game. Got until 1pm to get your entries in!

Comment

Paging AJ to give us the stats on the most recent BBV

Comment

Interesting that by far the hardest-hit states in the US are blue states. Louisiana the only red state to have had a serious hit.

Don't know if I've seen any analysis of the causes of this . Guessing it's because they typically have more diverse populations and are outward-facing cities (NY, LA etc) therefore more people are transiting in and out of them.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Good morning friends. Another Friday in bizarro land.

Comment

Rationing of snack stuff here among the 4 of us after the weekly shop. You burn through your ration in 3 days, tough shit, you have 4 days to wait.

The auld Aldi Snackrite 30 pack of crisps is a staple.

7 bags each, two lashed into a bowl and eaten when the shopping gets home, while we unpack.

7 bags, 5 flavors. Huston we have a problem! Thankfully everyone has a different preference so not a problam.

First preference for me is Ready Salted. Bottom is ................ Cheese and Onion.
              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                Interesting that by far the hardest-hit states in the US are blue states. Louisiana the only red state to have had a serious hit.

Don't know if I've seen any analysis of the causes of this . Guessing it's because they typically have more diverse populations and are outward-facing cities (NY, LA etc) therefore more people are transiting in and out of them.
                Maybe they are just not testing very much in some red states, and not properly recording deaths?

Comment

You know, I haven't logged in and check the status of my pension balance since the start of all of this. At this point I'm just too scared to do it! Maybe after a rake of beers tonight...

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Nate Silver & 538 have discussed it on Twitter and in a couple of articles: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...state-problem/

Comment

6starpool dreaming up things to divert himself with by creating a new bbv.

Was having a chat with a Nigerian pal some time ago about crisps. He was saying you NEED to taste these crisps we eat in Nigeria. I asked his what flavour are they and he said Banana of course that is our most popular crisps. I said with a slight wince na I dunno its all right but he insisted. He brought 2 packs one day and said try these and let me know what you think?.

When I seen him again he came over and said ebulliently what did you think of the crisps?, I can bring more?.
                      I had to give him the bad news. He says with a mixture of disbelief and staunch enthusiasm you can try again I can bring a different brand?.

Comment

5G is coming to get us
                        His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

MacKenna getting put back in his box YHTSI

His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                            MacKenna getting put back in his box YHTSI

https://twitter.com/care2much18/stat...760386566?s=12
                            MacKenna, Phillip Boucher Hayes & Paddy Cosgrave account for a disproportionate amount of Irish related drivel on Twitter.

They must be three of the most blocked Irish people on Twitter, not blocked enough obviously

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                              Rationing of snack stuff here among the 4 of us after the weekly shop. You burn through your ration in 3 days, tough shit, you have 4 days to wait.
                              The auld Aldi Snackrite 30 pack of crisps is a staple.
                              Union Jack flag on it.
                              Trying to cut out my purchases of such things post-Brexit. Fuck 'em, as we said on the previous thread.

Crisps is amongst the hardest though - the Brits do have some really nice crisps even amongst the normal flavours whereas our factories still seem to choose potatoes which were rejected from the normal food chain.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                MacKenna, Phillip Boucher Hayes & Paddy Cosgrave account for a disproportionate amount of Irish related drivel on Twitter.

They must be three of the most blocked Irish people on Twitter, not blocked enough obviously
                                STFU Murdum! uR ObvS a FFG PAid b0t anD GETIng BloCKeD!

Comment

Feck the haters

New BBV new/old corny joke.

Donkey starts speaking to the horse, “So what do you do?”

“Oh in the summer I do racing and in the winter I do the showjumping.” says the horse.

Donkeys thinking, holy shit, this is a thoroughbred.

“What do you do?” Asks the horse.

All embarrassed the donkey says “oh... uh... well in the summer I give rides to kids at the beach”

They chat a bit more and arrange to go round the donkey's house for drinks next week. Donkey's thinking to himself he’s got to come up with some way to impress the thoroughbred. So he gets a picture of a Zebra, a nice frame and hangs it up.

Horse comes round and goes “Oh this is a nice house you’ve got, that’s a nice picture too”

SPOILER
                                  Donkey says “Oh aye, that’s when I played for Juventus

Comment

@Hitch did you look into Animal Crossing any further? I just finished up the second South Park game (highly entertaining) and strangely tempted to see what all the fuss is about.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                      I had to stop listening to that halfway through. What a horrendous cunt.

Comment

Enjoy!!Check out my other social media accounts:Twitter: https://twitter.com/Gary200TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@gary2ooSnapchat: https://www.snapchat.com...

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                          STFU Murdum! uR ObvS a FFG PAid b0t anD GETIng BloCKeD!
                                          It doesn't pay as well as Maths grinds but it's an easy gig.

I can't remember that guy's name either. I found him on that site I shared with you and he was also on DoneDeal but I can't see him now.

I'd say look through that site and find someone who has completed the Business Analytics MSc or the Data Analytics MSc in UCD.

They should have enough practical knowledge to help with a similar course.

Comment

King are the only acceptable cheese and onion crips.

Salt and Vinegar is the actual King though, of flavours. All other opinions are wrong.
                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Don't have Twitter and never follow any of it. In fact my only exposure to it is whatever tweets you guys put on here.

Have to say that seems to be a +ev life choice judging by they way you guys sometimes start foaming in the mouths over some random tweet.

Cant see that changing.
                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Tayto S&V the supremos.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                  Union Jack flag on it.
                                                  Trying to cut out my purchases of such things post-Brexit. Fuck 'em, as we said on the previous thread.

Crisps is amongst the hardest though - the Brits do have some really nice crisps even amongst the normal flavours whereas our factories still seem to choose potatoes which were rejected from the normal food chain.

Comment

C&O O’Donnells
                                                    S&V Kettle

Comment

If you're having a crisp sandwich, it has to be fresh batch bread, lashings of butter and cheese and onion crisps.

Anythng else and you're a border line psycho.

I am quite partial to other flavoured crisps outside of a sandwich mind you, Keoghs Irish Atlantic Sea Salt in particular are very tasty as are their Chorizo & Cherry Tomato.

Mrs Lao Lao is trying to be healthy at the minute and has started to eat Lentil Chips which I originally scoffed at but have been won over by one of the brands (can't remember which one) but it is sour cream and onion flavoured and and actually quite tasty.

Comment

A non cheese & onion crisp is a crisp that has been wasted.

A lot of perverts in this thread.

Comment

Embarrassed to admit that I'm fond of Tesco's meaty flavoured crisps. All are either vegan or vegetarian desptte the flavour of meaty goodness.

Last edited by ComradeCollie; 03-04-20, 10:43.
                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                            A non cheese & onion crisp is a crisp that has been wasted.

A lot of perverts in this thread.
                                                            If there was a crisp world cup Ireland would win . England and Walker crisps would be going home going home.

Cheese and Onion is our Messi

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                              Embarrassed to admit that I'm fond of Tesco's meaty flavoured crisps. All are either vegan or vegetarian desptte the flavour of meaty goodness.
                                                              Tesco Finest S&V would rival anything

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                King are the only acceptable cheese and onion crips.

Salt and Vinegar is the actual King though, of flavours. All other opinions are wrong.
                                                                Get to fuck. Anyone who doesn't stand strong for cheese and onion should have their passport taken. Guinness and cheese and onion, king for me.
                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Although I will say I've a soft spot for lidls ham and mustard offering
                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

My mate messaged me last night to say he had a temperature. I replied asking him had he any other symptoms. He said not really and sent me a pic of the thermometer reading 39.4.

I said it to my wife, she was like 'Jesus that's bad, let me see'

So I opened the pic to show her and the thermometer is sticking out of the tip of a big knob.

Comment

I haven't eaten a crisp in about 3 years. They aren't tasty enough to make up for unhealthy they are.

Comment

Sour cream and onion the goat flavour.
                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                          I haven't eaten a crisp in about 3 years. They aren't tasty enough to make up for unhealthy they are.
                                                                          Meh, I don't eat bread or pasta anymore. I'd be tempted to try and survive on crisps and whiskey though!
                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                            Sour cream and onion the goat flavour.
                                                                            Urghh they have goat flavoured crisps?

Comment

#40
                                                                              What about when someone spreads the crisps in the middle of the table pub shtyle? You tell me you've enough willpower not to have a few?

I'm not having it, lies.
                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

#41
                                                                                Sensations sweet thai chilli

S&V comes 2nd to those

Comment

#42
                                                                                  Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                  My mate messaged me last night to say he had a temperature. I replied asking him had he any other symptoms. He said not really and sent me a pic of the thermometer reading 39.4.

I said it to my wife, she was like 'Jesus that's bad, let me see'

So I opened the pic to show her and the thermometer is sticking out of the tip of a big knob.
                                                                                  Even if that’s not true it made me laugh.
                                                                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

#43
                                                                                    I ate a whole tube of Pringles last night. And a whole pack of toffiepops washed down with at least a bottle of Red wine all while playing completely -EV poker online. Was glorious.

Comment

#44
                                                                                      Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                      Sensations sweet thai chilli

S&V comes 2nd to those
                                                                                      The original exotic crisp. There was a bit of "oh what's this now" when it first arrived
                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

#45
                                                                                        Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                        If you're having a crisp sandwich, it has to be fresh batch bread, lashings of butter and cheese and onion crisps.
                                                                                        Batch?
                                                                                        You fucking animal. Do you want the think to fall apart in your hands?
                                                                                        Batch also carries a much different mouthfeel experience lacking the soft chewiness contrast with the crisps that a good honest slice of brennans gives you
                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

#46
                                                                                          Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                          The original exotic crisp. There was a bit of "oh what's this now" when it first arrived
                                                                                          and boy did it deliver!!

Comment

#47
                                                                                            Can anyone explain the whole 5g thing to me? or link me to something where these looney's get their ideas from?

Also, Hectorjelly is the Ewan McKenna of this thread. Look to his latest crisp comments for proof.

Comment

#48
                                                                                              Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                                                              Can anyone explain the whole 5g thing to me? or link me to something where these looney's get their ideas from?
                                                                                              Theories vary from 5G being a tool for mind control to it somehow causing the coronavirus.

Used to be pretty interested in conspiracy theories but it's in this weird spot where now people are required to believe all of them. If you don't believe in the moon landings but think 5G is ok you're some manner of government plant

Comment

#49
                                                                                                Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                Union Jack flag on it.

Image take from UK site. I assure you there is no Union Jack on the Irish packaging.

Perish the thought they might still be UK spuds we are being duped into eating by Germans

Protectionism is a perversion in any case, one step away from racism.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                  Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                  Image take from UK site. I assure you there is no Union Jack on the Irish packaging.

Perish the thought they might still be UK spuds we are being duped into eating by Germans

Protectionism is a perversion in any case, one step away from racism.
                                                                                                  Not as big a perversion as prawn cocktail or worcester sauce flavoured crisps you freak

Comment

#51
                                                                                                    You're great craic.

Comment

#52
                                                                                                      This is pretty cool but also a little unnerving. Turn off your GPS unless you are using it.

See how your community moved differently due to COVID-19

Comment

#53
                                                                                                        I know you hate the guardian but I liked this piece..even if I don't agree with all of it

Originally posted by The Guardian boo hiss
                                                                                                        The crisp sandwich is food’s equivalent of picking your nose. We all do it. Yes, even you. And, particularly in private, it can be a source of profound pleasure. But only rarely do you find a few brave souls – chapeau!, Jack Monroe, Nadiya Hussain and Emma Freud – willing to talk about it in public.

This is a processed-food item so persuasive that even a chef as organically handcrafted as Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall cannot resist it (“It’s very hard to beat a good crisp sandwich.”), yet – bar that curious outbreak of crisp butty cafes in 2015 – we collectively neglect serious analysis of what makes it such a comfort-food classic. We are ashamed. Inhibited by snobbery. Waiting for a Spanish chef to deconstruct it or a hip Williamsburg diner to reassure us it is cool.

But who has time for that? At How to Eat – the series exploring how best to consume Britain’s favourite foods – there is no guilt, only pleasure. Therefore, let us settle once and for all on the crisp sandwich’s ultimate form.

Bread
                                                                                                        Naturally, HTE is fully in favour of real bread – in the right circumstances. This is not one of them. Put the sourdough back. Step away from the worthy loaves. The crisp sandwich is meant to be an uninhibited pig-out, which will be ruined by using earnest wholemeal or ostensibly healthy seeded breads. Not only will their flavour jar horribly with the crisps, but the pious presence of those self-righteous seeds and grains will cast an anxious pall over proceedings, as if the bread is judging your filling and finding it wantonly gluttonous.

Instead, you need a mass-produced white sliced loaf that, in its milky blandness, will offer more cushioning texture than flavour. It should be a neutral delivery vehicle for your chosen crisp.

Not all supermarket loaves are created equal, however. Many are as light and airy as packing foam, with none of its durability. These fragile breads fall apart at the first flash of a butter knife. Ideally, you want to forcibly squash the top layer of your sandwich down as you make it, to mould it around the crisps, so it neatly retains them as you eat. For that, you need relatively dense squishy bread, such as Jackson’s white bloomer or – if you can stomach the company’s £25,000 donation to the Conservative party in 2010 – perhaps the world’s best crisp-sandwich bread, Warburtons toastie loaf.

If using a less politically compromised cob, bap or roll, avoid those with firm crusts that require you to tear at them. You will scatter crisp shrapnel everywhere. In that regard, a baguette is the least-practical crisp sandwich bread. Do not think about toasting your bread. This is already a dry sandwich.

Spread
                                                                                                        Like many of the best things in life, a crisp sandwich needs lubrication. Ultimately, you will slather your slice with what you can afford. Margarine does a job, particularly on a crisp sandwich. It oils the wheels of mastication without positively boosting flavour. But if you do have a pound or three spare, HTE is unbending in its view that butter is one of the best investments in the supermarket chiller cabinet. Yes, its rich creaminess is a marginal gain in this context. But what is the pursuit of perfection if not the painstaking accumulation of such gains?

Butter … accept no substitute.

Butter … accept no substitute.
                                                                                                        The idea that on a crisp butty of all things, you would deny yourself butter on health grounds and instead subject yourself to one of the light ’n’ spreadable, sterol-and-stanol, I-never-believed-it-wasn’t-butter-vegetable-oil options is baffling. You. Are. Eating. A. Crisp. Sandwich. The boat has sailed on blood pressure. Its salt levels will be unacceptable to all medical professionals. Your arterial health is an accident waiting to happen. We are dying. Every day. Embrace that reality or this endeavour will have been a comparative waste of time. And calories. For a diminished flavour payoff.

The crisp sandwich is an all-in, sod-the-consequences commitment. For instance, there are multiple things wrong with this Sainsbury’s recipe (onion, tomato, gherkins, salad leaves!), but perhaps the worst is its use of unsalted butter. On a crisp sandwich. In health terms, this is the dictionary definition of a false economy.

Crisp
                                                                                                        HTE refuses to get into an argument about whether extruded corn snacks are crisps or not. It will not indulge Pringles pedants, who refuse to acknowledge a product consisting of rice flour and wheat starch mixed into a dehydrated potato base. Instead, HTE takes the following highly unscientific position: is it in the crisp aisle in the supermarket? Then it is a crisp. Yes, even the nuts and Mini Cheddars.

That settled, surely we can all agree that “fluffy” crisps – Monster Munch, Skips, spicy Nik Naks, Quavers, Chipsticks, generic cheesy balls – have no role to play in a crisp sandwich? The flavour intensity of Wotsits makes them tempting, and Frazzles taste more like bacon than bacon. But you need a crisp that offers a definitive crunch and clear textural contrast here. Not corn snacks that, when sandwiched between two slices of bread, produce what feels like a mouthful of cotton wool.

Walkers … other brands are available.

Fluffy crisps share that dehydration issue with, at the other extreme, Doritos, Scampi Fries and Mini Cheddars. Yes, they all pack plenty of crunch, but they lack the palpable easy-eating greasiness of mainstream crisps. A Mini Cheddar sandwich turns to claggy putty in the mouth. You would need several pints of water to get it down.

For different reasons, HTE is also ruling out posher “hand-cooked” crisps in the Kettle sphere and upwards. Generally, they are too thick and rigid in a sandwich (yes, there is such a thing as too crunchy) and, in the case of Tyrells, their pure flavours create a psychological dissonance. In a crisp sandwich, you do not want crisps that actually taste of the advertised ingredients. If you wanted a cheesy flavour, you would make a cheese sandwich. Rather, you want that lab-refined synthetic cheese-style cheese-and-onion flavour profile that, while it owes little to nature, wows on its own terms.

That is the curious paradox at the heart of the crisp sandwich: it works best when you add crisps that mimic sandwich ingredient flavours, so roast chicken, salt and vinegar (chip butty), smoky bacon or cheese and onion, rather than sweet chilli or prawn cocktail. But you also want those flavours delivered at the heightened, entirely artificial, level of intensity that only the cleverest boffins of the food-industrial complex can achieve using ingenious combinations of yeast extract, citric acid, garlic powder, dried cheese “cheese flavour” and umami disodium 5’-ribonucleotide.

The crisp-sandwich-filling sweet spot, then, is to be found in a mainline bag of Walkers (other brands are available) or, another marginal but important gain, in slightly thicker ridge-cut crisps such as Seabrook ascending to the – fans self! – positively hunky McCoy’s. Firm and muscular, yet given to melting greasily in the mouth, the all-powerful salt and vinegar McCoy’s is, perhaps, the ultimate crisp sandwich filling.

Note: never use ready-salted crisps. Too parsimonious. There isn’t a war on. Yet.

Sauces
                                                                                                        In short: no.

If you are going the full home-cooked-potato-sandwich hog, different rules apply. But it is incredibly difficult to sparingly apply Tommy K or hot sauce without drowning the crisp’s flavour. You are now eating a ketchup or hot sauce sandwich with crunchy bits. That is wrong.

If the butter has been applied liberally enough (if not, why not?), there should be no need for mayonnaise, much less salad cream. Regular readers will know that HTE is unapologetically proud of its working-class origins. But a certain reverse snobbery attaches itself to salad cream. Salad cream is the point at which clinging to your roots reveals a debilitating lack of ambition and curiosity, and a refusal to conceive of a wider world of possibilities.

Additions
                                                                                                        Is it shame, embarrassment or a desperate need to create new content that inspires advice on how to “pimp” a crisp butty or “take your crisp sandwich game to the next level”? HTE cannot say.

What it does know is that most of the commonly added extras – cold, clammy ham; thick, gluey peanut butter; overpoweringly vinegary pickles – actively detract from the sandwich. As do attempts to give it a gourmet spin. The crisp sandwich does not need brie, bacon jam or rocket. Or caviar. It does not need to justify itself on foodie terms. Go down that route – as per Burts steak and stilton recipe with sea salt and peppercorn crisps – and the crisps soon become a mere seasoning on an entirely different sandwich. That is, as the late Amy Winehouse used to like sliced on top, bananas.

A little extra-mature cheddar brings greater depth to a cheese-and-onion crisp sandwich, but even that it is far from essential.

Equipment
                                                                                                        A plate. Or the Hoover. You will need one. Possibly both.

Drink
                                                                                                        Curiously (it’s the bread), while HTE would never eat a bag of crisps with a brew – that requires beer or cola – the crisp sandwich cries out for a steaming mug of something brick red and deeply tannic that you could plot on axes labelled Yorkshire Tea and M&S Extra Strong.

So, the crisp sandwich: how do you eat yours?
                                                                                                        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

#54
                                                                                                          All this talk has put me in mind of the fact that I basically forget there was such a thing as a chip butty. A real pleasure I haven't partaken of in years. I must remedy that posthaste.

Comment

#55
                                                                                                            Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                            All this talk has put me in mind of the fact that I basically forget there was such a thing as a chip butty. A real pleasure I haven't partaken of in years. I must remedy that posthaste.
                                                                                                            Chipper chip butty on Brennan’s white with butter and a smidge of brown sauce

Comment

#56
                                                                                                              Has anyone a link to where WHO were complimentary of how Ireland has handled the crisis? Settle an argument with a friend!

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                Has anyone a link to where WHO were complimentary of how Ireland has handled the crisis? Settle an argument with a friend!
                                                                                                                This?

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                  I've seen a screenshot of one for Malta but no links, guessing its fake.

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                    Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                    what's the rule on burning in open fields? Like a field behind my hourse had a jcb in and cleared gorse into big piles a few weeks ago. They are no setting fire to them all - is this kosher?

All I see is dozens of hares running from them as they light them up.
                                                                                                                    I believe you need a green waste burning permit.

"Burning Waste. The disposal of waste by uncontrolled burning is an offence except in the case of burning of Agricultural Green Waste. A burning permit is required. The disposal of waste by uncontrolled burning is an offence under both the Air Pollution Act, 1987 and the Waste Management Act, 1996 as amended."

The disposal of waste by uncontrolled burning is an offence. Controlled Burning of Green Waste permission expired on 31st December 2022.

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                      ...
                                                                                                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                      X