Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It might be a good time to remind people that Friday March 4th will be an amplification of this type of witty repartee on all the popular cold war news stories of the 1980s. An event not to be missed.

cc.jpg
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I'll do that if you tell me what you think about the similar events in those areas in the beginning of 2021. What conclusions did you draw from them in early 2021 - that war was imminent in 2021?

I know you are unfamiliar with those events, so here's the very long list of similar events in the beginning of 2021 from wikipedia.

Trying to extrapolate from one days individual news stories is always a fools game.
      You're being made to look a fool Hitch.

A brutal dictator is running through his pre-invasion checklist against a vastly outgunned country and you can't quite bring yourself to admit it, instead engaging in your usual nonsense. It's a bit disturbing to watch. This ain't some game where no-one gets hurt.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

After two more drinks, I've decided Putin must have contracted syphilis or else gone insane in some other fashion.

There's no more guaranteed way to drive Ukraine into the arms of the West than what he's currently doing.

And it's literally him and that fat thug in Belarus versus the rest of the world. Definitely syphilis.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

You're being made to look a fool Hitch.

A brutal dictator is running through his pre-invasion checklist against a vastly outgunned country and you can't quite bring yourself to admit it, instead engaging in your usual nonsense. It's a bit disturbing to watch. This ain't some game where no-one gets hurt.
          I see thats another backtrack - the classic RaoulSlide. Would you answer the question you posed on the events in Donbass of February 2022 without reference to the normal level of violence in that area? Do you think thats the best way to answer the question?

Comment

We are probably both wrong, but my bias probably stems from over-analysis of the situation. I don't think you could ever be accused of having that bias.

Comment

I see thats another backtrack - the classic RaoulSlide. Would you answer the question you posed on the events in Donbass of February 2022 without reference to the normal level of violence in that area? Do you think thats the best way to answer the question?
              OK Sasha, OK. Whatever.

Sit back and watch the rest of the playbook unfold.

Comment

It might be a good time to remind people that Friday March 4th will be an amplification of this type of witty repartee on all the popular cold war news stories of the 1980s. An event not to be missed.

cc.jpg
                March forth hmmmm.

Comment

Our unbelievably hot Russian-American babysitter is called Sasha as it turns out. I can't quite describe how hot she is.

Comment

I got the annual health insurance will auto renew email today. They detailed 4 changes of importance, 2 of which are - 1) they now cover tattooing of eyebrows for cancer; and 2) they have upped the amount I'm covered for for gender realignment surgery abroad from €30k to €100k.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                      2 free tickets for the Dubs v Mayo in croke park tomorrow night at 7.30pm if anyone wants them
                      I'll take them if still available.

Comment

Trying to extrapolate from one days individual news stories is always a fools game.
                        From Timothy Snyder's 'On Tyranny'..

Each story on televised news is "breaking" until it is displaced by the next one. So we are hit by wave upon wave but never see the ocean.
                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I suppose we all experience things differently, but Endgame this evening was the most enjoyable thing I've seen live. Really don't see what some have found lacking in Boyle's performance. Not like that amateur/tired time with Ruth Negga doing Hamlet:'Oooh I fucked up my line again, I'll say it correctly now(sure they'll edit that out)'.
                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Sweet. Going there next Friday.

Comment

This might tickle one or two fancies, but maybe not everyone's. Trailer is pretty spot on to the show.

Comment

Missed my first wordle.
                                Had 3 goes at it needing one letter
                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Its very easy to correct me by telling me what part of an attack on Ukrainian land could possibly be a 'false flag' ala Gleiwitz
                                  Donetsk is in Ukraine, but it is a separatist rebel city backed by Russia. A attack in Donetsk could be used as by a Russia as a pretext to invading.
                                  I’m sure you’re aware of that, but it’s also the answer to your “could possibly be” question.

I’m actually a bit at a loss as to how you are suggesting that there couldn’t be a false flag. Is that what you are trying to say? Haven’t read all the posts so may be missing context.
                                  Last edited by Mellor; 19-02-22, 01:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Donetsk is in Ukraine, but it is a separatist rebel city backed by Russia. A attack in Donetsk could be used as by a Russia as a pretext to invading.
                                    I’m sure you’re aware of that, but it’s also the answer to your “could possibly be” question.

I’m actually a bit at a loss as to how you are suggesting that there couldn’t be a false flag. Is that what you are trying to say? Haven’t read all the posts so may be missing context.
                                    Where in Donetsk did it happen?

Comment

A false flag is a fake attack on your own land. Which would of course include the Russian territories in Ukraine, from the Russian mindset. This attack happened on pure Ukrainian occupied land. It was clearly carried out by the Russian territories. It's not a false flag. There's nothing false about it.

That was my point about Raoul relying on Liz Truss. She seemed to initially not realise this was Ukrainian occupied land, and so called it a false flag. Nobody has since supported that idea. Except Raoul as he can't handle being wrong, and I think you, as you haven't read the story properly.

Comment

Where in Donetsk did it happen?
                                        You ask how could a attack in Ukrainian land possibly be a false flag. I gave you a scenario.
                                        That applies regardless of whether or not it has happen (yet).

A false flag is a fake attack on your own land.
                                        That is incorrect. A false flag does not have to be an attack on your own land.

A false flag is any attack or action, that one country carries out, but blames it on the opposition. Regardless of where it happens.
                                        It could be on your assets in foreign lands, your citizens anywhere in the world, or even on another third party country.

Which would of course include the Russian territories in Ukraine, from the Russian mindset. This attack happened on pure Ukrainian occupied land. It was clearly carried out by the Russian territories. It's not a false flag. There's nothing false about it.

That was my point about Raoul relying on Liz Truss. She seemed to initially not realise this was Ukrainian occupied land, and so called it a false flag. Nobody has since supported that idea. Except Raoul as he can't handle being wrong, and I think you, as you haven't read the story properly.
                                        I made no claim about any particular attack.
                                        You asked how an attack on Ukrainian soil “could possibly” be a false flag. I explained how, that doesn’t imply I’m claiming that any specific attack was a false flag.

Maybe you meant to ask specifically about an attack Raoul referred to. But that’s not what you asked. It’s ususlly a bad idea to speak in general terms if you are only reverting to specific incidents.

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post

I'll take them if still available.
                                          Lovely. PM sent

Comment

[QUOTE=Mellor;n1713549]
                                            You ask how could a attack in Ukrainian land possibly be a false flag. I gave you a scenario.
                                            That applies regardless of whether or not it has happen (yet).

That is incorrect. A false flag does not have to be an attack on your own land.

A false flag is any attack or action, that one country carries out, but blames it on the opposition. Regardless of where it happens.
                                            It could be on your assets in foreign lands, your citizens anywhere in the world, or even on another third party country.

I made no claim about any particular attack.
                                            You asked how an attack on Ukrainian soil “could possibly” be a false flag. I explained how, that doesn’t imply I’m claiming that any specific attack was a false flag.

Maybe you meant to ask specifically about an attack Raoul referred to. But that’s not what you asked. It’s ususlly a bad idea to speak in general terms if you are only reverting to specific incidents.[/QUOTE]

I think it's reasonable to assume that people's points on this thread are continuations of their past points, rather than take them out of context and go 'well actually that's a general not a specific point you were making there'.

Comment

I see the Russian separatists in the Occupied Territories of Eastern Ukraine (under the direct control of Putin) have fully mobilised. And more false flag explosions in the OT overnight.

Again something the Americans said would happen. And a step closer to actual war.

Comment

Took me 5 goes to get the Worldle this am, despite having been there.

Comment

Muat say the Biden administration is performing at a level that is very impressive to watch. They've managed to unite all the Western allies and are busy telling the world what Putin is doing, just before he does it.

Putin really is boxed in now. If he goes ahead with invasion, he is isolated exposed completely as the aggressor in the eyes of the world. Only that Belarussian fascist stands with him.
                                                  And, if he backs off, he loses too.

For a guy obsessed with projecting strength, he has actually exposed fundamental weakness.

Comment

This might tickle one or two fancies, but maybe not everyone's. Trailer is pretty spot on to the show.

Looks interesting, on a small sample size Apple have been knocking it out of the park last few years, catching up tp Netflix standard finally.
                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Those Weather enthusiasts in the otherplace are some shower of snowflakes.
                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

I think it's reasonable to assume that people's points on this thread are continuations of their past points, rather than take them out of context and go 'well actually that's a general not a specific point you were making there'.
                                                        There’s nothing being taken out of context. You asked about “an attack”, I answered about “an attack” as they were the terms you used. But even in reference to a specific attack, it was incorrect. It’s was incorrect in any context - including a continuation of a previous point.

You claimed that being in Ukraine proved it couldn’t be a false flag. As I pointed out, being located in that region of Ukraine has no bearing on whether or not an attack is a false flag.

And just to avoid another weak strawman. I’m not saying it was a false flag. I’m saying that if it wasn’t, it’s not because of the geographical location.

Comment

Muat say the Biden administration is performing at a level that is very impressive to watch. They've managed to unite all the Western allies and are busy telling the world what Putin is doing, just before he does it.

Putin really is boxed in now. If he goes ahead with invasion, he is isolated exposed completely as the aggressor in the eyes of the world. Only that Belarussian fascist stands with him.
                                                          And, if he backs off, he loses too.

For a guy obsessed with projecting strength, he has actually exposed fundamental weakness.
                                                          Yeah they've called it and been firm on their stance so seem to be winning the propaganda battle so far unless he has some clever ploy up his sleeve.
                                                          I suppose one positive from Putins point of view is China came out in support in case of sanctions so potential market for him there.
                                                          The Nord 2 pipeline still an important piece. I was wondering was Scholz going to do some sort of deal (if he was even able to) as Germany were prohibiting sale of weapons to Ukraine but probably that's just me overcomplicaring things.

Energy prices still at ATH

Comment

Zelenskiy needs to pump the breaks with the appeasement for the last 8 years rhetoric.

Might be right but it’s inflammatory and very very poorly timed. Although I suspect he thinks this is the optimal time.
                                                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Wow, 39% of electricity supply in the uk yesterday was generated from wind turbines.

Comment

US a couple of weeks off 1M dead Covid Jaysus...I remember were talking about 60k being a milestone!

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                  US a couple of weeks off 1M dead Covid Jaysus...I remember were talking about 60k being a milestone!
                                                                  Ah but did they die from or with being in the USA

Comment

Hey SP, I think you're the winner with The Europe in Killarney. Trying to nail down dates now. Looks stunning.

I think the 6.5 hour round trip is worth it.

We were actually thinking of flying but the flight times were shit.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                      Wow, 39% of electricity supply in the uk yesterday was generated from wind turbines.
                                                                      We had 70% wind energy for the full day a few weeks ago! https://www.rte.ie/news/business/202...icity-reached/

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Looks interesting, on a small sample size Apple have been knocking it out of the park last few years, catching up tp Netflix standard finally.
                                                                        Its definitely interesting. Will need to see another few episodes to know what direction it is going in, but its ticking a lot of the right boxes at the moment!

Comment

Kinda love that my special lady friend refers to me as 'Gay Noel' to her children.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                            Hey SP, I think you're the winner with The Europe in Killarney. Trying to nail down dates now. Looks stunning.

I think the 6.5 hour round trip is worth it.

We were actually thinking of flying but the flight times were shit.
                                                                            Check out aghadoe when there, you'll get some nice views from there.
                                                                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

... Meh, first double bogey in wordle today... Had 4 letters perfect on my 4th, 5th and then got it on my 6th... Kinda annoying when therr are so many options for 1 letter... -11 after 28 holes...

Comment

Looking forward to see how they get on with Mick Herron's Slough House books, a 6 part version of the first one is dropping from Apple on the 1st of April. The source material is top class and there is lots of quality in the cast and production.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

May have pimped it before but Osteria Lucio (Ross Lewis, ex Chapter One) is a great spot. Although they do like to test the outer limits of your stomach capacity.

Comment

Only 10 mins left on the Eamokoftas

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                      Only 10 mins left on the Eamokoftas
                                                                                      Got some of the Mezeast range recently, as I miss my French diet which was about 50% Lebanese food. They've come up with a decent range of kofta, schwarma mixes. Notably better than more mainstream attempts at the same. Amateur hour for the likes of you, but for us mere mortals, and there may be a few in the audience, its surprisingly good.

Comment

Better to be lucky than good .

Wordle 246 2/6

Comment

Does anyone own a holiday home, and do you think it has been a good idea? Or maybe your parents have a holiday home.

Comment

Got some of the Mezeast range recently, as I miss my French diet which was about 50% Lebanese food. They've come up with a decent range of kofta, schwarma mixes. Notably better than more mainstream attempts at the same. Amateur hour for the likes of you, but for us mere mortals, and there may be a few in the audience, its surprisingly good.
                                                                                            I've only about 5 more goes left out of my packet of Lebanese 7 spice. Every time I'm in the Asian shop I'm looking for a re-up but haven't seen it. Will have to make it up myself.

I use a teaspoon each of that, cumin and coriander powder, a half of salt and MSG, some chopped mint and coriander. Wet ingredients are grated red onion and garlic, little mint sauce and lemon. Roll up 8x Kofta cigars out of 500g of lamb and onto the BBQ.

The smell out the back garden, jaysis.

Comment

Its definitely interesting. Will need to see another few episodes to know what direction it is going in, but its ticking a lot of the right boxes at the moment!
                                                                                              Did you start Succession? Thoughts?

Comment

birdied wordle. may take scalps

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Did you start Succession? Thoughts?
                                                                                                  ah yeah, it seems in The Wire type category of instant classic. Straight to the front almost from the start. Had watched a few episodes before and wasn't in the mood, but rewatching it now you can see it is something special.

Comment

Does anyone own a holiday home, and do you think it has been a good idea? Or maybe your parents have a holiday home.
                                                                                                    Inherited a place in Baltimore, Cork.
                                                                                                    Couldn't give the idea of a holiday home a bigger thumbs up.

Primarily it's been a retreat from life.
                                                                                                    A place to recharge the batteries
                                                                                                    and see things more clearly from a distance.

So so many happy memories.
                                                                                                    Reminds me of my dad who loved sailing
                                                                                                    and we'd spend days together at sea
                                                                                                    bringing the yacht down every Easter.
                                                                                                    He'd sling a net of beer over the side
                                                                                                    and add a few coke cans for the kids.

Mother would take us down in July
                                                                                                    and live there for a month when schools closed
                                                                                                    and we'd run wild until we heard the whistle
                                                                                                    which meant dinner was ready.
                                                                                                    As a single man in my twenties
                                                                                                    I "road tested" several young ladies
                                                                                                    with romantic weekends and
                                                                                                    threw new year's eve parties there for decades.
                                                                                                    It's where Jane recuperated when she
                                                                                                    beat her 1st brush with cancer.
                                                                                                    My daughter uses "take a trip down to Cork"
                                                                                                    as code for when she thinks I either
                                                                                                    need a break or am being pain in the ass.

Having a place which is the polar opposite
                                                                                                    of your normal life in terms of
                                                                                                    not just geography but pace and people
                                                                                                    is priceless from a quality of life perspective.

Comment

I'd hate the idea of going on holiday to the same place, year in, year out. Boring.

Comment

The Russian disinformation is so blatantly transparent that it's like they don't even care. Clearly it's intended for domestic consumption only but even there surely some snippets of truth must break through?

Still escalating further on the ground.

Comment

A large% of Finns have holiday homes by the lakes . They love there for weeks . Drinking , nature , Saunas etc wtc .
                                                                                                          i prefer variety myself myself. There is something exciting and invigorating about 'new ' places at home and abroad . However as a retreat for weekends and mental recuperation/relaxation an alternative abode in the wilderness would be amazing.

Comment

I'd hate the idea of going on holiday to the same place, year in, year out. Boring.
                                                                                                            And yet you don't mind posting the same crap everyday (see your follow on post), so maybe you do like your comfort points.

Comment

And yet you don't mind posting the same crap everyday (see your follow on post), so maybe you do like your comfort points.
                                                                                                              OK Sasha, OK.

Still adjusting your opinion on the probability of war?

Comment

I got the better of inertia this morning nearly 350 for the last bill ( bi-monthly)

Good news! You'll save €460.10 by switching electricity today

This too shall pass.

Comment

My parents do, I'm in it right now.

Spent every summer here until I was about 16. There was the odd year I resented it when seeing friends go to sunnier places but have so many amazing memories and a get a massive nostalgia hit every time I visit.

Would imagine me and my brothers will try to hang onto it when the time comes over the house in Dublin.

Has been very important over the last 2 years as well as it's pretty much been the only 'holiday' I've had other than a long weekend in Wexford.

Is also going to be a big help when we get evicted in a couple of months. Going to move down here until we get a house bought.

Comment

The Russian disinformation is so blatantly transparent that it's like they don't even care. Clearly it's intended for domestic consumption only but even there surely some snippets of truth must break through?

Still escalating further on the ground.
                                                                                                                    Speaking of such disinformation, this thread here is a perfect example of this amateur hour disinformation at play. Worth a read as it's both scary and hilarious at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Fuses blew in house last night, somehow fucked up network connection on just about every device in the house.
                                                                                                                      Only got everything back an hour or so ago.

Hopefully that's the three done.
                                                                                                                      Father in law tested positive. Double jabbed and boosted but still not a great scenario
                                                                                                                      Maybe it comes in 5s.

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

In better news, it's eurovision season

Comment

I got the better of inertia this morning nearly 350 for the last bill ( bi-monthly)

Good news! You'll save €460.10 by switching electricity today
                                                                                                                          What he gives in one hand, he takes away in another...Couldent pass that up in fairness, practically giving it away.

Just needed the most basic of mowers for a side lawn, rectangle with no trees or beds.

PXL-20220220-130011888.jpg

This too shall pass.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X