This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

The post claiming it is only Russian posturing, was naive, shortsighted, but a harmless case of being wrong.
    Referring to the buildup of troops as a rumour seemed to be actively lying however. A bit of grimness to it.

But the real highlight was the claiming that it wasn’t an invasion because Donbas is a Russian territory. I know you were sweating a bet, and helplessly digging to save face. But surely in hindsight you can see how that was a pretty disgusting thing claim. As it implies that Russia
    are entitled to March tanks over the border.
    That was all in Sasha character mode though. It's a very sophisticated parody act, you're never quite sure when he's in character.

It'd be helpful if we had some emojis that could indicate when he's 'being serious'. I really doubt the post you're replying to is one.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Lenin (another genocidal Russian psychopath) did come out with some corkers. This one is defintely apt.

There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen
      The supreme historical irony in all of this. Mad Vlad, in trying to refashion some kind of Russian Imperium has merely succeeded in driving all the former Western Soviet republics, and the countries of the former Eastern bloc, into the Western camp forever.

'Epic fail', I believe the kids call it.

Comment

Zelensky really is a man who's had destiny thrust upon him. As opposed to Mad Vlad, who no doubt views himself as a man of destiny.

The contrast between the two couldn't be more stark.

Comment

Zelenskyy must be a shoo-in for Time Man of The Year at this early stage. Hopefully he doesn't do an Aung San Su Kyi heel turn half-way through the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
            Zelenskyy must be a shoo-in for Time Man of The Year at this early stage. Hopefully he doesn't do an Aung San Su Kyi heel turn half-way through the summer.
            He seems resigned to go down with the ship if necessary but not just him . I do think a lot of people have had existential naval gazing during covid and as a result probably realise more how fleeting and fragile life really is and thus the 'fear' of death has been considered for the past couple of years . Putin\Russia are surely suprised that the Ukrainian people fear death a lot less than they do Russia. The post pandemic world is a lot different , our comfort zones are not as locked in as they once were.

Comment

Just umpired a ladies hockey match - immaculate moment of silence in solidarity with Ukraine beforehand.

You would hope every single sport is doing likewise today. If you're at a game, make sure you say it to the refs/umpires.

Comment

Even that scumbag Orban in Hungary has now agreed to kick Russia off the SWIFT network. Enjoy spending your Zimbabwean dollars roubles lads.

Comment

Was listening to a few vox pops from Kyiv this morning and had to ask myself, would I stay and fight or get out, if in their shoes. Silly question I know because of the absence of context. I certainly wouldn't criticize any fit adult male for getting the hell out of there. Don't like the way the response of Ukraine's most high profile boxers has been lazily framed as 'hero' OR 'coward' with nothing in between. Maybe in war there is no room for nuance when morale is so important. Zelensky as a figurehead seems to be galvanizing the country.
                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                      Hydrogen planes (in 2026, maybe)

I was speaking to a student on the MBA in Turin, who is leading efforts at a big French car company to practically implement a hydrogen charging network in France. I was gently mocking him, as had heard that hydrogen is a bit of a dead tech compared to electric. But he was saying it is crazily good, even at the moment.

Essentially his vision is that anything that needs over about 600km range in the future, so e.g. all trucks, taxis, etc, will all be powered by hydrogen. Said they have loads of test pumps set up and the usage is growing fast, but is expected to really take off in a few years. He was saying the key advantage apart from range, is the speed of powering the vehicle - about 3 minutes I think he said for 800km range. Electric vehicles can never hope for anything close to that, so that all equates to business downtime.

Thought it was interesting, just how convinced he was.

Think the big current issue is that most hydrogen is produced in a very environmentally unfriendly way, but they have the tech to produce green hydrogen that makes to fully carbon, and other emission neutral.
                      Is that for hydrogen fuel cells? I’m doing a bit of work on this at the moment so any interesting papers you come across would be appreciated. Also I’m excited about the liquid to hydrogen conversion which could be a game changer, sometimes referred to green hydrogen.

Comment

That's a quality try
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                          Was listing to a few vox pops from Kyiv this morning and had to ask myself, would I stay and fight or get out, if in their shoes. Silly question I know because of the absence of context. I certainly wouldn't criticize any fit adult male for getting the hell out of there. Don't like the way the response of Ukraine's most high profile boxers has been lazily framed as 'hero' OR 'coward' with nothing in between. Maybe in war there is no room for nuance when morale is so important. Zelensky as a figurehead seems to be galvanizing the country.
                          I was actually thinking the same thing yesterday and think it's a decision that's just made in the moment.
                          Like those border guards whi told the russian warship "to go fuck itself" rather than surrender.
                          That brave act must have had a massive boost to morale for others. Would have been do easy to to think what's the point and put the hands up but sacrificed themselves to send a message. A defender who would prefer to die than surrender would scare the hell out of me.

Comment

Can't see how you give a penalty for a high tackle in that spot and not award a penalty try.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter
                              Quality try
                              Turning into a decent game now. Despite Finn Russell playing like a drain.

Comment

Jaysus Scotland butchered that chance. Should have been a 7 pointer. Could well be the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                  Jaysus Scotland butchered that chance. Should have been a 7 pointer. Could well be the difference.
                                  Even if Hogg had managed to catch it and go over the pass would have still been the WTF moment of the game!

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Even if Hogg had managed to catch it and go over the pass would have still been the WTF moment of the game!
                                    He literally had a player 3m away and a 3 on 1 overlap. Brainless.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

He literally had a player 3m away and a 3 on 1 overlap. Brainless.
                                      Jumped on the feckers at 6s , i turned the air blue at that pass .

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                        Reads like wishful thinking or propaganda.
                                        people posting all sorts of nonsense
                                        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Stepped away for half an hour to cook. Scotland gonna Scotland.

Comment

Jesus Christ

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                            This gallery has 1 photos.
                                            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Jumped on the feckers at 6s , i turned the air blue at that pass .
                                              Just a complete lack of leadership in that Scottish team

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

Reads like wishful thinking or propaganda.
                                                people posting all sorts of nonsense
                                                Yeah, for sure. OP of the tweet's position and background does give it a certain weight though.

​​​​​

Comment

Exiled opposition leader declares herself the national leader of Belarus. EDIT: She spent some time in Roscrea as a youngster on one of the programmes for kids affected by Chernobyl.

Last edited by coillcam; 26-02-22, 17:51.

Comment

Have any of you theatre folk seen a play about the Stardust tragedy called '48'?

Pop up theatre in Bewleys cafe.

Comment

On the rugby

Finn Russell is the ultimate chav looking, dislikeable, face punchable cunt.

And

Mrs Lao Lao reckons Marcus Smith is Kim Jung Il's love child

And

The chairs in the RTE studio look redonk uncomfortable and not fit for purpose.

Comment

That vile Mad Vlad enabler, murderer and kleptomaniac, Roman Abramovich, has ceded control of Chelsea.

Comment

That vile Mad Vlad enabler, murderer and kleptomaniac, Roman Abramovich, has ceded control of Chelsea.
                                                          He won't be any where to be seen when Chelsea play Liverpool, tomorrow in Wembley. Also "ceded". More like a self imposed touchline ban.

Comment

He won't be any where to be seen when Chelsea play Liverpool, tomorrow in Wembley. Also "ceded". More like a self imposed touchline ban.
                                                            Yeah, I just read the statement and couldn't make head nor tail of it.

He is a Grade A scumbag and conduit for Mad Vlad, just in case anyone wasn't aware.

Comment

He hasnt been in the UK for over 2 years.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1714222&d=1645910819&type=thumb
                                                                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Chelsea's new structure

Comment

Someone was looking for a rant.

I've been searching for a historical precedent to all of this, and despite the natural aversion to engaging in Godwinism, the analogy that invariably comes to mind is Nazi Germany. Demented leaders with a strong sense of paranoia and a burning feeling that their nation has suffered grievous historical injustice at the hands of outsiders. A desire to reconquer lost lands, starting with relatively small bites (the Rhineland, the Sudetenland, the Anschluss - Abkhazia, Transnistria, Crimea, the Donbass) and then, having observed the weakness of the democracies, moving to full-on wars of conquest against neighbours. The use of propaganda, allied with near-total state control, to both brainwash and terrify your own population into swallowing the lies and the costs of war. The use of useful idiots abroad, some paid, some just desperately seeking attention and some self-hating democrats, who will helpfully muddy the waters in their home polities, sowing division and lies. The militarisation of society. The demonisation of fringe groups. The racism. The murder of all opposition, at home and abroad. The use of false flags and provocation.

Putin isn't Hitler - yet.

But he's by far the closest thing we've seen in Europe since WW2. We must all do whatever we can to support the Ukrainians who are standing alone against this - even if it's just calling out useful idiots at home - like that fuckwit Mick Wallace, or that other gobshite Boyd Barrett. You get the impression they detest the rights and freedoms they enjoy under our democratic constitution. If you know a Russian, ask them what they think of the war - and if they equivocate, call them out on it. It's not a time for politeness. Talk to Indians and Chinese too and ask them why their country abstained on the vote condemning the war. Don't complain when your electricity and diesel prices go up - it's a small price to pay. Read, watch and listen only to media that is trustworthy. Fly a Ukrainian flag out your window. Symbolism matters and is powerful.

Above all, be angry. Take a side (and there is only one). Support those brave people across Ukraine. Hope for the demise of that evil, kleptomaniac psychopath in Moscow. And soon.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post

Well, he was at the United game in November and it was reported on at the time. But before that it was 2018 apparently since he had been in the UK.

Also supposed to have Israeli citizenship now.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post

Hopefully the next place he sees has bars over the windows.

Comment

Ursula VDL announcing new measures:
                                                                          1. Russian banks booted off SWIFT
                                                                          2. Russian Central Bank frozen out
                                                                          3. Russian oligarchs assets frozen

Comment

It is interesting to think how the average Russian citizen feels about this.

How effective is propaganda in this day and age with such a connected world?

I read today that twitter is blocked in Russia, but would that in and of itself not alarm the ordinary Russian? For anyone who wants it and knows how it's there.

I think we can be comforted somewhat in that when making comparisons with Nazi Germany. In 30s Germany the Nazis had full control over what the populace digested. That cannot be said now.
                                                                            Last edited by Lazare; 26-02-22, 22:26.

Comment

It is interesting to think how the average Russian citizen feels about this.

How effective is propoganda in this day and age with such a connected world?

I read today that twitter is blocked in Russia, but would that in and of itself not alarm the ordinary Russian? For anyone who wants it and knows how it's there.

I think we can be comforted somewhat in that when making comparisons with Nazi Germany. In 30s Germany the Nazis had full control over what the populace digested. That cannot be said now.
                                                                              Right....so just explain to me exactly what the opposition in Russia looks like?

Propaganda has evolved with the internet and is arguably now more effective than ever - get the people you want into your echo chamber and ramp up the amplification. Job done - Ukrainians are all suddenly neo-Nazi gayJews who are murdering innocent Russians.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

What stock can we buy to give exposure to the upcoming Hydrogen revolution?
                                                                                Think it’s too early for that yet tbh, the aircraft manufacturers are obviously very focused here but it’s likely a decade away from commercialisation

Comment

Good to see that even those Mad Vlad puppets in Czechia and Hungary have realised the depths of his insanity and have belatedly got on the train with the democratic nations.

Comment

Right....so just explain to me exactly what the opposition in Russia looks like?

Propaganda has evolved with the internet and is arguably now more effective than ever - get the people you want into your echo chamber and ramp up the amplification. Job done - Ukrainians are all suddenly neo-Nazi gayJews who are murdering innocent Russians.
                                                                                    More effective and intense in those that it targets, but reaching less and overall less effective than Goebbels' campaign one would have to assume.

Propaganda these days results in polarisation. In 30s Germany it resulted in almost total support. Media was novel then too, there was a naivete towards it.

Comment

I've been searching for a historical precedent to all of this, and despite the natural aversion to engaging in Godwinism, the analogy that invariably comes to mind is Nazi Germany.
                                                                                      The geo-political tensions underlying it feel more like 1914.

Comment

With a nukes subplot .

Comment

Completely incorrect, although I do appreciate you were quite a young man at the time.

1914 was a collision of alliances.

Who has Mad Vlad got in his alliance? Just that fat fuck in Belarus, Nigel Farage and Mick Wallace.

Comment

More effective and intense in those that it targets, but reaching less and overall less effective than Goebbels' campaign one would have to assume.

Propaganda these days results in polarisation. In 30s Germany it resulted in almost total support. Media was novel then too, there was a naivete towards it.
                                                                                            The average Russian is pumped full of TASS, RT and Rossiya 24.

If they are consuming anything close to reality-based truth, they're not showing much evidence of it.

I'd love to be wrong...

Comment

The best thing that could happen is that either some large Russian troop formations surrender, or just refuse to fight. Given the apparently ferocious resistance and the notoriously poor state of the Russian army, it wouldn't be totally off the wall.

Comment

Completely incorrect, although I do appreciate you were quite a young man at the time.

1914 was a collision of alliances.

Who has Mad Vlad got in his alliance? Just that fat fuck in Belarus, Nigel Farage and Mick Wallace.
                                                                                                Therein lies the really scary part. A cornered rat wearing an explosive vest. There is one get out of jail card for the ruskies (other than boom ) the head of Putin on a plate ( and i'll dance for you)

Comment

The best thing that could happen is that either some large Russian troop formations surrender, or just refuse to fight. Given the apparently ferocious resistance and the notoriously poor state of the Russian army, it wouldn't be totally off the wall.
                                                                                                  Did you read that tweet thread from that Estonian MEP that I posted earlier?

Have a read if you didn't. It's really hopeful, but how true do you think it is?

Comment

Did you read that tweet thread from that Estonian MEP that I posted earlier?

Have a read if you didn't. It's really hopeful, but how true do you think it is?
                                                                                                    The one that started with something like 'Putin, in his Ural lair'? It read like a really bad spy novel so I didn't click any further.

Comment

Comment

The one that started with something like 'Putin, in his Ural lair'? It read like a really bad spy novel so I didn't click any further.
                                                                                                        Have a read of it.

Comment

Holy fuck! (if true, is it?)

I should predict Wednesday's lotto numbers next.

Comment

Have a read of it.
                                                                                                            I just did, reads like BS. Russia running out of weapons and materials after two days of sanctions? Not buying it.

Comment

Holy fuck! (if true, is it?)

I should predict Wednesday's lotto numbers next.
                                                                                                              Seems so. Holy fuck.

Comment

'Contractors'

Comment

The average Russian is pumped full of TASS, RT and Rossiya 24.

If they are consuming anything close to reality-based truth, they're not showing much evidence of it.

I'd love to be wrong...

Comment

'Contractors'

Paid soldiers rather than conscripts.

Comment

Paid soldiers rather than conscripts.
                                                                                                                      Maybe those Russians who were murdering their way round Syria

Comment

Fuck it anyway, just noticed a pm from three weeks ago.

Anyone else experiencing that?

How do I set up email alerts?

Comment

Not seeing much to confirm this unfortunately. Hopefully it is true but you'd expect more widespread coverage. Although it is internal Russia so who knows.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X