This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
    Worldle in 2 today. 450km away first guess.
    Obv not a gimme like yesterday
    I only realised today that there are arrows pointing in the direction of the country from your guess.

Comment

Absolutely pot lucked it myself 2163km away first guess

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I only realised today that there are arrows pointing in the direction of the country from your guess.
        You would never get it otherwise, it'd be the equivalent of doing wordle without the colour coding.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I read a very insightful sentence today about Putin and his paranoia.

If all one does is provoke, then all one sees is provocation

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            Severance definitely is something. An oddity that could become anything. Well worth seeing if you might like it.
            Ya, watched the first episode last night after seeing it mentioned here. It is definitely intriguing. Could turn out to be epic, or awful.

Comment

For some reason I talked myself out of the right answer. I was a continent away first guess, then after that danced around it naming loads of bordering countries being convinced it wasn't the right shape for the actual answer, Bah.

Comment

Also got pinged for covid today. Starting to feel unwell Sunday and negatives on Sun/Mon. Didn't test yesterday and lit up like a Christmas tree this morning. Flu-like symptoms and just bolloxed tired really.

Comment

Severance definitely is something. An oddity that could become anything. Well worth seeing if you might like it.
                  I got quite annoyed yesterday when I realised I had to wait for the third episode! It's the most Philip K Dick setup I've ever seen in a non-PKD narrative.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

For some reason I talked myself out of the right answer. I was a continent away first guess, then after that danced around it naming loads of bordering countries being convinced it wasn't the right shape for the actual answer, Bah.
                    this game is fun too, although I am quite bad at it:

edit - forgot the link https://globle-game.com/
                    Last edited by Hectorjelly; 23-02-22, 11:01.

Comment

Wordle . Back down to wordle earth after my eagle spree i have 4 letter after 2 and my next 4 words were bad guesses . Trying to be too clever.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

this game is fun too, although I am quite bad at it:

edit - forgot the link https://globle-game.com/
                        I love this my knowledge on African country locations has improved a lot using this .

Comment

I think this is on me, but those territories have been lost to Ukraine for a long time. We have short memories, but just a few days ago all the stories were about how Putin would be in Kyiv within 24 hours. It was all about war. Here is Biden talking about an attack on Kyiv, and Boris claiming it would be the biggest war in Europe since 1945 including encircling Kyiv.
                          For the sake of clarity, the key word in my post was declaration. In the sense that Putin was never going call it a war on invasion. Hanging you claim that it is not invasion on the official Russian angle is a incredibly weak position. Referring to these parts of Ukraine as territories is a bit odd.
                          FWIW, Nazi Germany didn't declared war in 1939 either, they enter Poland. It was England and France who declared War.

Obviously there has been unrest for years, its not a peaceful part of the world. And I think short memories is a good point. Let's recap.

A week ago Russia recognized the Donbas region as part of Ukraine. Today Russia claims that Donetsk and Luhansk are independent states.
                          A week ago Russia security forces operated covertly in Ukraine. Today Putin has received parliamentary "permission" to use military forces in a foreign state.
                          A month ago, you claim the build-up or Russian forces at the border as a scare tactic, and a US fueled rumour. Yesterday you claimed the Donbas region has been occupied for some time by Russians.
                          "

Comment

Remember that Comical Sasha is merely a parody account.

Comment

This is really cool, an interactive look at the voyager probe, which has been traveling through the solar system since the 70's https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission...time-alignment

Comment

I saw a superb and succinct summary of how the Russian information machine targetted social media users in 2014 to justify their seizure of large chunks of Ukraine.
                                1. If you're on the left, you were told the Ukranians were fascists
                                2. If you're on the right, you were told they were gay
                                3. If you're on the far right, you were told they were Jewish
                                This worked so well that they amplified versions of it in later successful disinformation campaigns e.g. Brexit, the US election and it is now reaching its apex.

Anyone who swallows any of the bilge being pumped out by Moscow is a dupe.

Comment

I have in mind planning a trip in and around the Balkans, I've been reading this wonderful book Bridge over the Drina set in Bosnia and it's really caught my imagination, I've also had in mind for a while that I'd like to visit Northern Greece in and around Thessaloniki.

Transport looks complicated feck all trains just long bus trips (did that in '79 and not too keen on repeating it now). So I guess it would have to be at least separate legs of a trip where you'd fly to Sarajevo and hire a car there and then fly again.
                                  Would it ever be possible to hire a car in one country, say Croatia or Bosnia drive through the region and drop off in Greece?
                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                    Remember that Comical Sasha is merely a parody account.
                                    I think it's just; have an edgey take on everything, twitter conflict gets eyeballs, when completelly reumbled engage troll mode.

Comment

I couldn't recommend that Ivo Andric book highly enough, I remember ploughing through a million pages of Misha Glenny's history of the Balkans it was definitely a good read giving an understanding of what happened and insights to the economic and geo political circumstances, in time I've probably forgotten just about all the details but I have learned far more about who the people were and what it all meant in this one novel telling the story of one bridge built close to the edge of the Ottoman Empire.

As I'm just about to finish reading it, digging out the goodreads link and seeing that it's the first of a trilogy has made my day.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                        Referring to these parts of Ukraine as territories is a bit odd.
                                        That's the word the Ukranian's (and Russians) I've been talking to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                          That's the word the Ukranian's (and Russians) I've been talking to use.
                                          It's understandable for Russians, or separatists to claim they as not part of Ukraine but Russian or Independent () . Completely incorrect, but understandable.
                                          But I find genuinely odd for to watch Comrade Avtostop, over the course of a week, go from "Donbas in Ukraine, to referring to these as Russian territories without blinking.

Comment

Kid came back in the 95th percentile for abstract reasoning, and is into CTYI*. A fine indicator, if any further was needed, of the Russian intellectual gene pool.

* He, also, at some point during the 90 minute test needed to go to the toilet, and was intimated by the uni exam hall setting, so abstractly reasoned himself into a need to pee himself. I'd like to feel that is my gene pool in operation.
                                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I got 99th% for everything when I was a kid, it was merely the beginning of my ego.
                                              The invasion/non invasion thing above made me laugh remembering an interaction recently where we were complaining about a place that has 12 rounds of interviews.
                                              They came back and said that we don't have 12 rounds, we have 3 rounds of 4 interviews to which I replied, I don't have 12 apples, I merely have 1 dozen.

Comment

I think it's just; have an edgey take on everything, twitter conflict gets eyeballs, when completelly reumbled engage troll mode.
                                                I don't think he'd dare put this nonsense out on Twitter.

Hence how we know that it's not actually something he believes but rather just something that is a vehicke for comedic relief. He's so dedicated to this he's even willing to make bets in character.

Comment

Kid came back in the 95th percentile for abstract reasoning, and is into CTYI*. A fine indicator, if any further was needed, of the Russian intellectual gene pool.
                                                  Can he beat you at chess yet?

Wrestling will be next.

Comment

I kinda genuinely get the distinction between 12 rounds of interviews, and 3 sets of 4 rounds.

Comment

Drunken musing with my oldest buddy. Spoilered to keep the Russian bashing on topic

SPOILER
                                                      The weekend - I was reminiscing with a friend of mine about our heyday and what it would be like to be in our 20s in 2022. We both agreed todays world is a lot easier for getting hooked up with whatever suits your fancy and the dopamine fix is there 24/7 however neither of us would swap our youths in place of todays world/culture. Amongst other things we discussed (some earwiggers joined in)
                                                      We were happy to have to work for our playtime fixes , plus the music , sports seemed a lot more colourful than it s today. I know it’s a rose coloured glass viewpoint but our generation was probably the 1st to witness the good times in terms of financial well being and the growth of tech firms improving the economy hand over fist, lining their pockets and ours as a country. We remember life before the internet . The late night pubs (closing at 12), the late night snooker halls after a few beers (everyone seemed to play better drunk) , the last bus home from the City Centre that was NOT infested with the living dead jabbing temp highs but ultimately empty lows into their bodies, when the cars on the road were manageable and bus conductors cranked out a ticket whilst performing remarkable balancing acts with HIS hip and the seat beside you despite being overweight and purple faced. The stink of cigarettes didn’t help though. The bookies board markers chats, any fancies today ? The stink of fags didn’t help there either . Looking at the hardship of the generation before us and the soft bellies of the current generation, I think we struck very lucky. Then we moved onto Crypto and his failing fortunes.
                                                      I don’t miss however the binges , too much bravado around going ape shit on the beer at weekends. Naw it clouded too many good times that the brain didn’t file for review in later times.

Comment

I don't think he'd dare put this nonsense out on Twitter.

Hence how we know that it's not actually something he believes but rather just something that is a vehicke for comedic relief. He's so dedicated to this he's even willing to make bets in character.
                                                        Soviet comedy is an acquired perversion I guess.

Comment

Can he beat you at chess yet?

Wrestling will be next.
                                                          He can beat his mother at chess! But takes after me in terms of sporting ability. I've often cringed looking in the window of his gym hall football practice as he runs shrieking away from an approaching football.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                            This is really cool, an interactive look at the voyager probe, which has been traveling through the solar system since the 70's https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission...time-alignment
                                                            If you've not seen the documentary The Farthest I'd highly recommend. It's absolutely incredible viewing and was made by an Irish director Emer Reynolds. If you have your VPN setup you can log into a US VPN and watch it for free on PBS.

Trailer for those you interested.

"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                              Drunken musing with my oldest buddy. Spoilered to keep the Russian bashing on topic

SPOILER
                                                              The weekend - I was reminiscing with a friend of mine about our heyday and what it would be like to be in our 20s in 2022. We both agreed todays world is a lot easier for getting hooked up with whatever suits your fancy and the dopamine fix is there 24/7 however neither of us would swap our youths in place of todays world/culture. Amongst other things we discussed (some earwiggers joined in)
                                                              We were happy to have to work for our playtime fixes , plus the music , sports seemed a lot more colourful than it s today. I know it’s a rose coloured glass viewpoint but our generation was probably the 1st to witness the good times in terms of financial well being and the growth of tech firms improving the economy hand over fist, lining their pockets and ours as a country. We remember life before the internet . The late night pubs (closing at 12), the late night snooker halls after a few beers (everyone seemed to play better drunk) , the last bus home from the City Centre that was NOT infested with the living dead jabbing temp highs but ultimately empty lows into their bodies, when the cars on the road were manageable and bus conductors cranked out a ticket whilst performing remarkable balancing acts with HIS hip and the seat beside you despite being overweight and purple faced. The stink of cigarettes didn’t help though. The bookies board markers chats, any fancies today ? The stink of fags didn’t help there either . Looking at the hardship of the generation before us and the soft bellies of the current generation, I think we struck very lucky. Then we moved onto Crypto and his failing fortunes.
                                                              I don’t miss however the binges , too much bravado around going ape shit on the beer at weekends. Naw it clouded too many good times that the brain didn’t file for review in later times.
                                                              The one absolutely mega drawback of being a young person today (under 25 say) compared to 25-40 years ago is social media and everyone with a video camera in their pocket. Imagine having every move of your potentially recorded, for good or ill? I for one am glad I wasn't subjected to that, and I had a pretty tame youth compared to most I'd say.

Comment

You'd be mad to pay that bet Hitch. Sure didn't we send peacekeepers into Lebanon and nobody called it an invasion.

I wouldn't mind but them Lebanese dont even speak the Cupla focail.

#Teamhitch

Comment

I kinda genuinely get the distinction between 12 rounds of interviews, and 3 sets of 4 rounds.
                                                                  From which perspective? The interviewees?

Comment

The main difference is that you have 3 occasions when you present for interview, rather than 12, although either way it is an absolutely nonsensical process.

Comment

He can beat his mother at chess! But takes after me in terms of sporting ability. I've often cringed looking in the window of his gym hall football practice as he runs shrieking away from an approaching football.
                                                                      Ah the Russains are relatively shite at football.

Wrestling, Sambo and Gymnastic. Handy enough at the weightlifting, but an unfortunate habit of all their athletes being stripped due to some pesky state sponsored doping,

Comment

I'm beginning to think a lot of criminals apply for mortgages, I'm on my second broker as first was useless and both have been making it clear in their first question that I need some sort of paper trail to verify the integrity of my money.

In practice it works out the same for the interviewee most of the time since they don't really happen in close proximity, so they can call it whatever they want but people will drop from the process.
                                                                        It's not like the old days where you'd rock up to googles office and do interviews all day, it's setting availabilities on calendars, them missing them, doing it again, and having 12 interviews over a couple months.
                                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 23-02-22, 14:32.

Comment

I know a few kids who have been in that programme and it doesn't always turn out to be a positive thing.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

KPMG now running the show.

Chunk of people put the door immediate effect. Company not paying redundancy need to apply from govt fund, no holidays or month to date salary.
                                                                            So long, thanks for the cheese.

People the company needs in order to perform an orderly run off of the business (like me) won't get statutory from company, they'll need to go to govt as above. They will however be incentivized to stay with previously promised amounts. Holidays etc will be honoured. Riches will rain down on the true believers.

Or you could get what's in the mystery box
                                                                            ​​​​​​

This is proving so accurate, I should do the lotto.
                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                              I got 99th% for everything when I was a kid, it was merely the beginning of my ego.
                                                                              The invasion/non invasion thing above made me laugh remembering an interaction recently where we were complaining about a place that has 12 rounds of interviews.
                                                                              They came back and said that we don't have 12 rounds, we have 3 rounds of 4 interviews to which I replied, I don't have 12 apples, I merely have 1 dozen.
                                                                              I saw a post of something similar on r/develeire where the OP noped tf out of an 8 stage interview process. Surprisingly (for me) there were plenty of posts of similar experiences and a general distrust of tech recruiters. In my first interaction with a recruiter, I expect to know the hiring process, salary range, job spec and key individual(s). Oddly that doesn't seem the be most people's experience on that subreddit. IME I've only had 1 poor recruiter in the last few years so I guess YMMV depending on company and sector.

The most conflicting recruiting experience I did have was for a tech company in Cork several years back. They paid for my travel expenses and hotel. I had a whiteboard based interview to troubleshoot some systems and also usual chat if I was a personality fit for the team. The short version of the story is they needed a network specialist which I'm not and explicitly pointed out at the start of the process to the recruiter. Nailed the first parts of the whiteboard stuff and interview. Unsurprisingly the wheels came off on the expert level networking knowledge test which I should easily have been pre-screened on. Despite this glaring failure, the rest of the process was actually quite good for the time. EDIT: Was told several times not to worry about lacking expert level networking skills as we will provide all training to employees blah blah.
                                                                              Last edited by coillcam; 23-02-22, 16:32.

Comment

This is proving so accurate, I should do the lotto.
                                                                                Tell them to get fucked

Comment

Tell them to get fucked
                                                                                  Given the lack of severance what’s his downside of just leaving?

Comment

I have in mind planning a trip in and around the Balkans, I've been reading this wonderful book Bridge over the Drina set in Bosnia and it's really caught my imagination, I've also had in mind for a while that I'd like to visit Northern Greece in and around Thessaloniki.

Transport looks complicated feck all trains just long bus trips (did that in '79 and not too keen on repeating it now). So I guess it would have to be at least separate legs of a trip where you'd fly to Sarajevo and hire a car there and then fly again.
                                                                                    Would it ever be possible to hire a car in one country, say Croatia or Bosnia drive through the region and drop off in Greece?
                                                                                    Have you been to Georgia? It’s an unbelievably nice landscape, and people are class, went a few years ago on holidays. Can PM details if you like.

Comment

Quick question for the BBV. How much would one expect to pay to ge their car serviced? We have a Skoda Fabia if that makes a difference?
                                                                                      "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Exactly

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                          Quick question for the BBV. How much would one expect to pay to ge their car serviced? We have a Skoda Fabia if that makes a difference?
                                                                                          Without knowing the colour its impossible to say.

Apart from doing it yourself, a service is basic car maintenance unless you want something specific done or fixed. Just ask your mechanic how much is a service.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Providing they keep their word, about 20k
                                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

I saw a post of something similar on r/develeire where the OP noped tf out of an 8 stage interview process. Surprisingly (for me) there were plenty of posts of similar experiences and a general distrust of tech recruiters. In my first interaction with a recruiter, I expect to know the hiring process, salary range, job spec and key individual(s). Oddly that doesn't seem the be most people's experience on that subreddit. IME I've only had 1 poor recruiter in the last few years so I guess YMMV depending on company and sector.

The most conflicting recruiting experience I did have was for a tech company in Cork several years back. They paid for my travel expenses and hotel. I had a whiteboard based interview to troubleshoot some systems and also usual chat if I was a personality fit for the team. The short version of the story is they needed a network specialist which I'm not and explicitly pointed out at the start of the process to the recruiter. Nailed the first parts of the whiteboard stuff and interview. Unsurprisingly the wheels came off on the expert level networking knowledge test which I should easily have been pre-screened on. Despite this glaring failure, the rest of the process was actually quite good for the time. EDIT: Was told several times not to worry about lacking expert level networking skills as we will provide all training to employees blah blah.
                                                                                              IT is probably the one industry where the interview is always harder than the actual job

Comment

IT is probably the one industry where the interview is always harder than the actual job

Our interviews are ridiculous. If you want to do one you have to study for a couple of months as nothing asked is what happens on a job, and it's basically an exam.

Comment

Ring your local Skoda/VW garage for a quote. Knock a few quid off that for a non-dealer mechanic. Should be under €200 for dealer and just under €150 private I'd imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Our interviews are ridiculous. If you want to do one you have to study for a couple of months as nothing asked is what happens on a job, and it's basically an exam.
                                                                                                    I had another interview for a job I did get and it was 2 stages of tech questions. First one was basically do you know some basic principles of email/dns because all of the applicants had lied and couldn't tell their arse from their elbow. The actual interview was genuinely them reading from an excel sheet of what port is smtp, what port is DNS, plus a bunch of stuff about VMs etc all one word answers. I spent 6 months there babysitting backups, rebooting servers and getting Dell to change failed disks in the data centre. Boring but worked out well as I went back to my old job for a promotion and decent uplift in the end.

Comment

In Dublin? 600 at least
                                                                                                      jk could be anything from 150 to 300 depending on age and mileage interval.
                                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Had one interview when I left college and I'm on my third employer.
                                                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

I know a few kids who have been in that programme and it doesn't always turn out to be a positive thing.
                                                                                                          Yeah. I came across it first in Trinity, where there was quite a few who were in it. There's definitely two types of outcomes - those with an excessive focus on their intellect, but then also those who use their smarts for interesting things.

I suspect the former is kids from houses where they were viewed as kings solely because of this, while I don't think that will be the case with us. I guess as we wouldn't view intellect as an aim in itself.

Personally I've always been surrounded in the workplace by people smarter than me, but learned to outmanouver them with cop on. Even if that's not fully evident from my posts here.

That's now leaving aside the fact that intellect at 6, is not, I don't think, a superstrong indicator of intellect at 18. So this could also be a poor future signal. Although I suspect it is in this case as the 95th score was him having to read questions and he can't read English very well.

Comment

On the car servicing tangent, there's some dodgy looking car park near the Odeon on Parnell Street where they wash, shine, valet inside your car, for a mere €25 smackaroonies. An unbeatable cash-in-hand deal that I've seen mainly offered for twice that elsewhere.

Comment

My abstract reasoning must be shite.

Never in a million years would I voluntarily pee myself
                                                                                                              rather than use the loo down the corridor.

Comment

I feel that's partially because you aren't 6.

I was kinda blaming the exam invigilators afterwards. Surely that's a standard thing to point out to little kids, at least some of whom will have to pee over 90 minutes.

Just to put them at ease. 'the toilets are just around the corner, so let me know if you need to go'.

He said afterwards he didn't know you were allowed to go to toilets in a university.
                                                                                                                Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 23-02-22, 18:52.

Comment

Providing they keep their word, about 20k
                                                                                                                  Decision tree:
                                                                                                                  1. Is this 20k taxable?
                                                                                                                  2. If yes, tell them to get fucked. Not worth it.
                                                                                                                  3. If no (and you won't be driven insane in the meantime), tell them you want 50k and demand it in writing. How much, when and someone senior from KPMG's signature.
                                                                                                                  4. If they won't give it to you in writing, see point (2)

Comment

There'll be a six in my age
                                                                                                                    followed by a zero on my next birthday.

Won't be long now before
                                                                                                                    I start involuntarily peeing myself.

Comment

I feel that's partially because you aren't 6.

I was kinda blaming the exam invigilators afterwards. Surely that's a standard thing to point out to little kids, at least some of whom will have to pee over 90 minutes.

Just to put them at ease. 'the toilets are just around the corner, so let me know if you need to go'.

He said afterwards he didn't know you were allowed to go to toilets in a university.

He was pulling a "Ruprecht"
                                                                                                                      Solks will get this reference

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

He was pulling a "Ruprecht"
                                                                                                                        Solks will get this reference
                                                                                                                        Impressive you got the spelling correct

Buying some shoes this evening in Sports direct . Cheapo ya know the type. Anyhoo i said to the DUBLIN girl i dont need the box.
                                                                                                                        She uttered something about the box and to be honest i couldnt understand a blind word she said. My eyes were searching for a foreigner to see if they could help me with my purchase .

Comment

Impressive you got the spelling correct

Buying some shoes this evening in Sports direct . Cheapo ya know the type. Anyhoo i said to the DUBLIN girl i dont need the box.
                                                                                                                          She uttered something about the box and to be honest i couldnt understand a blind word she said. My eyes were searching for a foreigner to see if they could help me with my purchase .
                                                                                                                          Ha ha ...DRS was on very close to when you were cracking wise about it..gas hadnt seen it in years!

Yet one was probably saying no return/refund without the box
                                                                                                                          Had the same interaction buying my fancy new trail shoes!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X