This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

The Russians didn’t come up chess. They’re just big fans. It came from Asia.
    I agree they tend to to long winded and detailed. But focusing on the fact he spoke for a long time and not what he actual said is a bit odd.
    The problem with focussing on what he actually said is that it was demonstrably batshit crazy. So Comrade Comical Sasha isn't going to do that. I doubt he's even aware of what Putin said.

If Russia annexes a sizeable area/population of Ukraine. Where would that sit in terms on “Did they invade”.
    This has already happened.

And last night, regular Russian Army troops, under orders from Mad Vlad crossed the internationally recognised borders of a sovereign state. Needless to say, univited by that state. If that doesn't constitute 'invasion', I don't know what does.

I assume Comical Sasha has paid out on his bet with luckforsome, who should be congratulated for spotting the valoo.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
      Your car full EV Hitch? How have you found the first few months?
      Perfect. We don't travel much, as most people don't anymore; maybe one or two work trips a week of a 30km round trip to work. The only issue is when you go longer distances, then you are reliant on powering options outside of the home. Those can still be a bit patchy. But the car cost €20k, which I gather isn't expensive for a car, but don't know, and the running costs are just 40kwhs or so a week from the house mains. The cost angle is unbeatable. If you were regularly traveling decent distances, then I'm not sure that battery is sufficient. Would need to be up around 400km range (vs 230km on the Leaf) for comfort. But that's a much higher price bracket.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

@ Lao Lao. I presume it's not Expeditors you work for. Their Worldwide operations more or less suspended following a cyber attack.

4.3 billion revenue in Q4 2021. How much do you reckon the ransom is?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I assume Comical Sasha has paid out on his bet with luckforsome, who should be congratulated for spotting the valoo.
          I don't think it counts. 'Invasion of Ukraine' vs 'sending troops to areas already occupied' seem different things, and the intention of the bet was about the former rather than the latter. I do realise you are on your own mad one, so I'll let you fly up into your mania, but maybe other people might weigh in? What do ye think? I don't think there's a reasonable way I can collect the bet on my side, but unless there's an invasion of new land in the remaining three weeks then the bet seems a bit of a push? I'll go with the crowd opinion though.

Comment

PUSH IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
              @ Lao Lao. I presume it's not Expeditors you work for. Their Worldwide operations more or less suspended following a cyber attack.

4.3 billion revenue in Q4 2021. How much do you reckon the ransom is?

No comment

Comment

How soon after a booster do you get your pass?

Booster booked for Thurs, flying to The Netherlands a week later.

Grand?
                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Grand?
                  You get the pass a few days later normally, rules for the Netherlands are:

"
                  • are fully vaccinated; and
                  • received their booster vaccination at least 7 days before travelling to the Netherlands.
                  "

So you seem close to being okay.

But your original vaccine is good for 270 days after you received your last original vaccine - so maybe that is still fine?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                    What will happen now, is that NATO countries will propose a series of purposefully ineffectual sanctions, that sound bad but don't add up to much, so as not to escalate matters. Russia will claim to be outraged. And then everything will dissipate.
                    Can see this strategy, which is probably the right one, in the UK sanctions announced today. Sanctions against three people who are already sanctioned by the US, and a few bank things. But nothing massive.

The five Russian banks being targeted by UK sanctions are Rossiya, IS Bank, General Bank, Promsvyazbank and the Black Sea Bank.

The PM also said sanctions would be applied to billionaires Gennady Timchenko, Boris Rotenberg and Igor Rotenberg as three "very high net worth individuals".

"Any assets they hold in the UK will be frozen, the individuals concerned will be banned from travelling here, and we will prohibit all UK individuals and entities from having any dealings with them," Mr Johnson said.

Mr Timchenko is a major shareholder in Rossiya, while the Rotenbergs are described by the Foreign Office as having close ties to Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Boris Rotenberg is a major shareholder of SMP Bank, while Igor Rotenberg is invested in Russia's transport sector.

All three have been on the US sanctions list for a number of years as associates of Mr Putin.

The loss of Nord Stream 2 by Germany is more substantial, but I suppose its not a major loss, as less gas flow to Europe will just push the price of gas up, so what you lose in volume you make up for in price. It's only been postponed in any case, and will probably be opened up when gas prices reach new highs again. That will probably be made explicit to Russia in private conversations - start behaving and we can talk about this again.

They're decent responses. None of the mania of the common man , but aimed at showing displeasure without escalating the situation. I would strongly imagine that's the end of things now.
                    Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 22-02-22, 14:37.

Comment

The pipes and wires can only penetrate the joists in certain areas. Page 7 below.

You’re pretty free to screw into boards in the centre 50%. If there was a particular mouse area. But the quarters near the edges of span could be notched, more likely to be cores in the centre but you never know.
                      Thanks., I had another look at the floor there, and the original screws used had square heads which I don't have the equivalent thing to take them out to see how long they are or what. I think I need to see if I can get someone proper in to look to fix it rather than me doing something probably ineffective again. Even if the have to take stuff out and relay something, I'm sure they'd do that (once I was able to find someone qualified) quicker than I'd be able to put a few screws in even,

Comment

Can see this strategy, which is probably the right one, in the UK sanctions announced today. Sanctions against three people who are already sanctioned by the US, and a few bank things. But nothing massive.

The loss of Nord Stream 2 by Germany is more substantial, but I suppose its not a major loss, as less gas flow to Europe will just push the price of gas up, so what you lose in volume you make up for in price. It's only been postponed in any case, and will probably be opened up when gas prices reach new highs again. That will probably be made explicit to Russia in private conversations - start behaving and we can talk about this again.

They're decent responses. None of the mania of the common man , but aimed at showing displeasure without escalating the situation. I would strongly imagine that's the end of things now.
                        You're nothing if not optimistic. Perhaps you are being sarcastic though, but I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

You're nothing if not optimistic. Perhaps you are being sarcastic though, but I don't think so.
                          I do think that's the end point, and that's what the mild sanctions are aimed at ensuring. If Russia invades Ukraine now that they've already carved out the Russian zones, so there can be no justification imperative, then they become a pariah state that only has Beijing to turn to. Thats an awful space to be in geopolitically - and there's very little historical trust between Beijing and Moscow. They probably consider they have done enough.

If they wanted the whole of Ukraine then they wouldn't have first carved out those areas. They would have gone straight to Kyiv, using the existence of those areas in Ukraine that need protection as justification.

When you consider these actions as the actions of madmen then you can imagine anything. But they aren't mad, they just have their own rationale that we might not agree with, and they will have put a lot of thought into the various options.

Comment

The Russians didn’t come up chess. They’re just big fans. It came from Asia.
                            I agree they tend to to long winded and detailed. But focusing on the fact he spoke for a long time and not what he actual said is a bit odd.

If Russia annexes a sizeable area/population of Ukraine. Where would that sit in terms on “Did they invade”.

I was pondering that, given the bet! Personally I'm not sure given these lands were already occupied
                            ... The white house have now officially called it an invasion and Tanks and military are there... In my humble opinion, this is now invasion... Pay the man his money ...

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I don't think it counts. 'Invasion of Ukraine' vs 'sending troops to areas already occupied' seem different things, and the intention of the bet was about the former rather than the latter. I do realise you are on your own mad one, so I'll let you fly up into your mania, but maybe other people might weigh in? What do ye think? I don't think there's a reasonable way I can collect the bet on my side, but unless there's an invasion of new land in the remaining three weeks then the bet seems a bit of a push? I'll go with the crowd opinion though.
                                What does invasion of Ukraine mean? If it's sending soldiers to Ukraine without permission then I think you lose as you didn't specify between west and east Ukraine in your bet.

Unlucky.
                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Grand?
                                  You get a card at the Vax . I used that

Comment

I do think that's the end point, and that's what the mild sanctions are aimed at ensuring. If Russia invades Ukraine now that they've already carved out the Russian zones, so there can be no justification imperative, then they become a pariah state that only has Beijing to turn to. Thats an awful space to be in geopolitically - and there's very little historical trust between Beijing and Moscow. They probably consider they have done enough.

If they wanted the whole of Ukraine then they wouldn't have first carved out those areas. They would have gone straight to Kyiv, using the existence of those areas in Ukraine that need protection as justification.

When you consider these actions as the actions of madmen then you can imagine anything. But they aren't mad, they just have their own rationale that we might not agree with, and they will have put a lot of thought into the various options.
                                    The very fact that you don't count these 'sovereign state recognised by Moscow' as part of Ukraine is the main problem here in terms of agreeing what constitutes an invasion.

Comment

Didnt Hitler bemoan the treatment Germany received after WW1? Wasnt it one of his main rallying cries

some similarities there

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                        Didnt Hitler bemoan the treatment Germany received after WW1? Wasnt it one of his main rallying cries

some similarities there
                                        Vlad's anschluss.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

It's not invading Ukraine when you claim it's not Ukraine first.

You are beyond parody at this stage.
                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Give the man his chicken wings.

Comment

You are beyond parody at this stage.
                                              I think and hope that he has just accepted his new role in entertaining us as Comical Sasha and is just determinedly staying in character.

His posting on everyday topics seems relatively normal so the above seems the most likely explanation.

Comment

Putin has asked for, and received, permission from the Duma to deploy troops outside of Russia.

Comment

I'll pay out for sure. I'm just not sure that was the intent of the bet.

Comment

Putin just recognised the separatists claim to the entire Donbas region. Ranting on about Ukraine wanting nukes again.

No prizes for guessing what happens next.

Comment

I'll pay out for sure. I'm just not sure that was the intent of the bet.
                                                      Not sure how a Russian invasion of Ukraine wasnt the intent of a bet on whether Russia invades Ukraine or not.

Wp Liamo. Just unlucky you let Hitch away with evens.

Comment

I can't post images on my phone but Putin has just said he recognises the separatist 'republics' land mass as being about 3x what they are today (within their already illegal 'borders').

Comment

I think and hope that he has just accepted his new role in entertaining us as Comical Sasha and is just determinedly staying in character.

His posting on everyday topics seems relatively normal so the above seems the most likely explanation.
                                                          As our friend Denny Crane learnt, you are who you pretend to be.
                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

One man's Peacekeepers are another man's Invading Force.

One man's terrorists are another man's freedom fighters.
                                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I can't post images on my phone but Putin has just said he recognises the separatist 'republics' land mass as being about 3x what they are today (within their already illegal 'borders').
                                                              yeah, that would strike me as an invasion. Taking territory not originally de facto held.

Comment

Just off a call there with a head of risk management in one of the largest investment banks in the world, where he was expecting me to guide him on an upcoming panel discussion I'm hosting with him on it, as to how he should discuss risk management. Never has imposter syndrome been so high.

Comment

What a beautiful show title.

• This Came Out of Me (Discovery, Jan. 2, Sundays at 9). Dr. Ruby Rose “will treat us to everyday situations in which things end up in places they just shouldn’t be”

Comment

Just off a call there with a head of risk management in one of the largest investment banks in the world, where he was expecting me to guide him on an upcoming panel discussion I'm hosting with him on it, as to how he should discuss risk management. Never has imposter syndrome been so high.
                                                                    Did you go into Comical Sasha mode for a bit of light entertainment? Ideally complete with accents.

Comment

yeah, that would strike me as an invasion. Taking territory not originally de facto held.
                                                                      Get back in character Sasha! FFS!!

I don't think the audience noticed but you better come out with some corkers in the next act. Maybe some riff about how the tank battalions are merely indulging in some traditional duck hunting or something.

Comment

What a beautiful show title.

' This came out of me '
                                                                        Hopefully not quoting yourself when you look back at your Russian posts

Comment

Get back in character Sasha! FFS!!

I don't think the audience noticed but you better come out with some corkers in the next act. Maybe some riff about how the tank battalions are merely indulging in some traditional duck hunting or something.

Comment

Vlad has outplayed everyone he has now got exactly what he wanted.
                                                                            All the posturing with the tanks was to show that he could and would invade if he didn't get to formalise the status of the Eastern areas.
                                                                            Zalinsky has hinted today that he can live with Minsk being torn up and the east becoming a separate state (that is much better for him than the ongoing stalemate). Your Ukrainian man on the street is content that there will not be Russian's fighting them in combat (they never believed there would be) and that this is a done deal that was agreed between Europe US and Vlad. All that happens now is that there will be bluster about irrelevant sanctions as all sides step back slowly claiming victory and a lid is put back on the tensions until the next time someone needs to lift the lid and stir up trouble.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                              All the posturing with the tanks was to show that he could and would invade if he didn't get to formalise the status of the Eastern areas.
                                                                              Zalinsky has hinted today that he can live with Minsk being torn up and the east becoming a separate state (that is much better for him than the ongoing stalemate). Your Ukrainian man on the street is content that there will not be Russian's fighting them in combat (they never believed there would be) and that this is a done deal that was agreed between Europe US and Vlad. All that happens now is that there will be bluster about irrelevant sanctions as all sides step back slowly claiming victory and a lid is put back on the tensions until the next time someone needs to lift the lid and stir up trouble.
                                                                              That sounds a fair summary. And also why thinking there is 'madness' at play is the common mistake we make when dealing with faraway politicians we don't agree with.

Assuming things like madness means:

- we think 'the other side' hasn't a clue, when most likely they do, leading to surprises on our side

- we overate the intelligence briefings on 'the good side', which as we've seen was completely wrong in this instant

In general treating politics with fanboism and good vs evil always seems to lead to stupid mistakes. Largely what we've seen with the Irish establishment, and media establishment approach to Sinn Fein.

Comment

I dunno Vlad is not the only unhinged one .

An argument could be made that whilst he is buddies with Trump , would he have dared to do this under Trumps equally unhinged leadership . Interesting to see what China say on it .

Comment

So are we moving the IPB to the 'Truth Social' platform or what?

Comment

I got the Rona.

Comment

Comment

There is a degree of uncertainty and legal complication as to where you draw a border because the Donetsk oblast (county) which has always been eun from the city is a huge area that stretches a good bit farther west than the areas under dispute.

'Yes, Prime Minster' as always giving a very accurate and eternally relevant explanation of how the whole thing plays out on BBC4 now.

Comment

There is a degree of uncertainty and legal complication as to where you draw a border because the Donetsk oblast (county) which has always been eun from the city is a huge area that stretches a good bit farther west than the areas under dispute.
                                                                                          When you say 'draw a border', what exactly do you mean?

If that means 'seize large parts of another country by force', that makes sense.

Comment

Right on cue, Paid Agent #1:

FMOYiKzX0AUP6xr?format=png&name=medium.png

Comment

I miss when you could look back at your past posts and see what was viewed as a good post and what just passed by as an irrelevance. I do realise likes are the bane of modern communication, but there was some benefits. Like and retruth me if you agree.

Comment

I got the Rona.
                                                                                                I got it 3 weeks ago, herself picked it up in mother&baby swimming, which quite literally is the only "non essential" stuff we'd done with non family members in about 6 months.

She tested positive and had extremely minor symptoms, no big deal.

I got it a full 7 days later, testing positive on the first day she tested negative. I had a worse dose of it, coughed myself hoarse one night. Was double parked for 2/3 days withe ice water / mug of boiling water.

Actually wasn't too bad other than the cough - was pretty tolerable, I had a worse time the day after the booster with my head / sleep to be honest. (Obviously 2 vaccine doses + booster => the dose I got from the actual virus not as impactful)

Comment

I was pondering that, given the bet! Personally I'm not sure given these lands were already occupied
                                                                                                  It will probably become pretty clear in the coming days.
                                                                                                  But I think you are overstating the degree to which they were “occupied” by Russia.
                                                                                                  They were defacto under their own people republic administration. Russia recognised it as part of Ukraine. The fighting was rebellion and only unofficially backed by Russia. There was peace treaty.
                                                                                                  Russia have said now they they are independent states, breaking the previous treaty/agreement. Putin has asked for, and received permission to use Military force outside of Russia. Troops that were previously amazed at the border have crossed the border.

I think the last two lines make it an invasion. There was never going to be an open declaration of war.

Comment

Can't upload the video here
                                                                                                    worth a look

Comment

I miss when you could look back at your past posts and see what was viewed as a good post and what just passed by as an irrelevance. I do realise likes are the bane of modern communication, but there was some benefits. Like and retruth me if you agree.
                                                                                                      What do you mean? Can you not see your old posts at all? This one got 12 thanks

Had to read back 20 posts to see arch-Zionist Raoul accused of being worse ​​​​than Hitler, but it was worth it.
                                                                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Can't upload the video here
                                                                                                        worth a look
                                                                                                        https://www.reddit.com/r/galway/comm...classy_galway/
                                                                                                        That's hilarious. I laughed nearly as hard as his friend in the hat.

Comment

I got the Rona.
                                                                                                          Originally posted by Emmet View Post

I got it 3 weeks ago, herself picked it up in mother&baby swimming, which quite literally is the only "non essential" stuff we'd done with non family members in about 6 months.
                                                                                                          After the fiasco of everyone having to cancel Christmas at home I was looking forward to having No1 Daughter home as a surprise birthday party visitor this weekend. After two years turning up to work every day it was open at a really difficult school in Glasgow she tested positive for the first time tonight. FFS!

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post

...I reckon it'll be about the 22nd Feb btw...
                                                                                                            ...I even called the date of it... PM sent ...

Comment

It will probably become pretty clear in the coming days.
                                                                                                              But I think you are overstating the degree to which they were “occupied” by Russia.
                                                                                                              They were defacto under their own people republic administration. Russia recognised it as part of Ukraine. The fighting was rebellion and only unofficially backed by Russia. There was peace treaty.
                                                                                                              Russia have said now they they are independent states, breaking the previous treaty/agreement. Putin has asked for, and received permission to use Military force outside of Russia. Troops that were previously amazed at the border have crossed the border.

I think the last two lines make it an invasion. There was never going to be an open declaration of war.
                                                                                                              I think this is on me, but those territories have been lost to Ukraine for a long time. We have short memories, but just a few days ago all the stories were about how Putin would be in Kyiv within 24 hours. It was all about war. Here is Biden talking about an attack on Kyiv, and Boris claiming it would be the biggest war in Europe since 1945 including encircling Kyiv.

Comment

This is very good ... In a helicopter view sort of way.

Comment

Severance definitely is something. An oddity that could become anything. Well worth seeing if you might like it.

Comment

Joey the Lips got his own bench in Drimnagh today .

Robin Hood was there to honour him

In other news

.

Former US President Donald Trump has called Vladimir Putin’s orders to send troops into Ukraine "genius".

Appearing on a right-wing radio show, Trump was asked about President Biden’s response to Putin’s sending military forces into Ukraine.

“I went in yesterday and there was a television screen, and I said, ‘This is genius,’” Trump said.

“Putin declares a big portion of the Ukraine - of Ukraine. Putin declares it as independent. Oh, that’s wonderful. So, Putin is now saying, ‘It’s independent,’ a large section of Ukraine.

"I said, ‘How smart is that?’ And he’s gonna go in and be a peacekeeper. That’s strongest peace force … We could use that on our southern border”.

The Republican former president continued to praise Putin later on, while disparaging his successor.

“You gotta say that’s pretty savvy. And you know what the response was from Biden? There was no response.”

Comment

.
                                                                                                                      cDqjTnwl.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

She tested positive and had extremely minor symptoms, no big deal.

I got it a full 7 days later, testing positive on the first day she tested negative. I had a worse dose of it, coughed myself hoarse one night. Was double parked for 2/3 days withe ice water / mug of boiling water.

Actually wasn't too bad other than the cough - was pretty tolerable, I had a worse time the day after the booster with my head / sleep to be honest. (Obviously 2 vaccine doses + booster => the dose I got from the actual virus not as impactful)
                                                                                                                        You've moved into the new house yet, or still commuting? Is the plan to convert to an Irish job at some point, or stay remote?

Comment

Worldle in 2 today. 450km away first guess.
                                                                                                                          Obv not a gimme like yesterday
                                                                                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X