X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
    Nah, just myself and I'd move gf in on m8's rates
    That's the issue with the place, other guy wants to buy it just to rent it all out.
    Let him have it so. Move on and find a 2-bed with decent sized rooms and some natural light, then upgrade if/when you're ready to start a family. You don't need 4 beds and 4 baths. Yer man will house 13 trans refugees in there.
    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      They're excellent quality. I think that's the main parent selling point. Your standard Penneys or H&M clothes fall to pieces after a few washes, but we've Shein stuff from a year ago that still looks brand new.

Re the second bolded point "But I dont think they are predicting and solving as much as you suggest" - using loads of data to identify new trends is about the best of where its at in terms of machine learning algorithms.

Re the third bolded point. We will almost certainly be driving vast quantities more Chinese cars in the future. Its just not yet advanced enough, hence why they are initially concentrating on developing markets with similar safety standards. But they are inevitably going to go after the big Western bucks in due course.
      Pennys and other online are also low quality. “Better than Penny’s” is not the bench mark for excellent quality. To use the example above. Do really think a pair of €20 boots from Shein are going to last 10 years?
      With kids I can understand putting cost over quality. As they’ll grow out of them at some point. I was was referring more so to the adult market.

It’s definitely the top of where it’s at right now. I acknowledged it was advanced. But the point was that identifying and responding to trends quickly, is very different to predicting future trends, machine design - which was the claim.
      Is it AI machine learning? Or is it just a real time poll of 1000s of designs?

The fact cars are not advanced is the point. They’ve been making cars for decades, Chinese brands as well as western brands. The former aren’t terrible because they can’t yet make them better. They are terrible because they are making them cheaply. Spotting trends in the market doesn’t fix that.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Let him have it so. Move on and find a 2-bed with decent sized rooms and some natural light, then upgrade if/when you're ready to start a family. You don't need 4 beds and 4 baths. Yer man will house 13 trans refugees in there.
        Hear me out on this.

Dedicated gaming room.
        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
          I agree. If Solskjaer got 3 years delivering zero then Moyes deserved better. I've agreed with pretty much everything Iago said up to now but Moyes was the choice at the time with very few naysayers.

To say he was a bad choice thereafter is a serious case of hindsight-gone-wrong (In general, not directed at Iago). It would be interesting to see where we'd be if Moyes got 2-3 years but alas.

Must also remember that Moyes, whilst maybe announced earlier, only officially took charge on 1st July and had to scramble for transfers; only signing Fellaini i believe on deadline day.

Believe we did the same with LVG - but perhaps the WC had something to with that. Point, being, i hope if they appoint ten Haag that he will get to work asap on targets etc.

Other clubs seem to adapt far far better to change
          I disagree, when it came down to being between him and Mourinho (in the press at least, though I don't think it was actually close in reality) I couldn't believe that they went with Moyes. He was wholly unsuited to the job at the time and while I got behind him, as I would with any manager, there were so many things that pointed to him being out of his depth. He has alluded to this himself a few times in interviews since then, that had he had the time again there were things he would have done differently.

United (as willie alluded to) were an aging squad that needed changing, Mourinho would have man-managed them perfectly, they were exactly the kind of players he works best with. Seasoned pros used to following a world class coach blindly and working their socks off for each other. Maybe had Mourinho got the shout we could have attracted better players that summer. 1/2 seasons with more success and who knows...I don't think it would have fundamentally changed where we ended up but there is an alternative universe where David Gill stays on, Mourinho comes in and United win a title or at least challenge seriously for a couple of seasons at which point Klopp is persuaded to take on a rebuild and he's at United instead of Liverpool.

Once Woodward took over that was all removed and then bringing in Moyes just aggravated the problem.

Moyes always seemed overwhelmed, didn't really seem like he was in control of what was going on and his language and demeanor was absolutely shocking right from the start. When he needed to come through the front door chest pumped he was sneaking in the back door incognito.

That's not to absolve the players, who made his life more difficult than it should have been, but I personally feel Mourinho would have managed that season far better.

This again (as has been the case with United since Ferguson left) has us talking about managers as though they are the only problem.

Mourinho + Gill >>>>> Moyes + Gill>>>>>>>> Mourinho+Woodward>>>>>>>Moyes + Woodward

That was the beginning of the rot, lack of direction and the removal of the curtain pretending the footballing performance was important to the Glazers...everything else that has followed is just natural progression imo.
          Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

No doubt some Liverpool fans are working on a tasteful chant for tonight in support of Cristiano.
            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
              No doubt some Liverpool fans are working on a tasteful chant for tonight in support of Cristiano.
              Ye of little faith

For anyone attending tonight's game we are organizing a 7th-minute applause for Ronaldo during tonight's game following the tragic death of his baby son, and so here trying to spread the message.

Comment

Iago didn't Bobby Charlton basically put the kibosh on Jose at the time?

Comment

They're excellent quality. I think that's the main parent selling point. Your standard Penneys or H&M clothes fall to pieces after a few washes, but we've Shein stuff from a year ago that still looks brand new.

Re the second bolded point "But I dont think they are predicting and solving as much as you suggest" - using loads of data to identify new trends is about the best of where its at in terms of machine learning algorithms.

Re the third bolded point. We will almost certainly be driving vast quantities more Chinese cars in the future. Its just not yet advanced enough, hence why they are initially concentrating on developing markets with similar safety standards. But they are inevitably going to go after the big Western bucks in due course.
                  I am sure they have certain lines which are better than others but for the most part, their not built to last but instead to be on trend with that particular time. It is disposable clothes in many respects. From my experience of looking around the site, I am almost positive they are just a front end for many Aliexpress stores. I would be almost certain from looking at the products on both sites that what happens is when a particular item needs to be made it is contracted out to the same store as advertised on Aliexpress. If that is the case then quality is going to be all over the place. That seems to be the general consensus on Reddit and that what you buy is completely hit or miss in terms of quality

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Hear me out on this.

Dedicated gaming room.
                    Yep gaming room and offices as we WFH now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                      Iago didn't Bobby Charlton basically put the kibosh on Jose at the time?
                      Yeah, the story is that Charlton and Ferguson were against it and probably had more input than they should have had.

still, at least history will show they were right

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Hear me out on this.

Dedicated gaming room.
                        Does the gaming room need a bathroom tho? We all know real gamers piss in a bottle.
                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Shein you say?

Comment

I see Liverpool doing a clap instead of Silence . Good move i guess . No chance of a minutes silence with those scumbags making airplane noises..

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                              Manchester United is one of those subjects which is a vortex of rational thought, the closer you are to it the less you have. Raoul was right, with a very simple suggestion - Ronaldo was a bad purchase. (Goals are overrated anyway!). He didn't claim that it was the only problem with united, just one of them. And now the thread is clogged up with several pages of insane counterfactuals and more detailed lore than the old hack Tolkien would feel comfortable with dumping into the Silmarilion.
                              You and rdIII are both starting from the naive and incorrect assumption that any decision made at manchester united is made from a footballing perspective. Once you accept that every decision begins and ends with, ‘what will make the most money?’ Things become much clearer.

even taking that aside, I think i’ve explained why the central tenet that ‘ronaldo makes them worse’ is wrong.

Comment

It is extremely eye-opening to compare companies trying to do it somewhat sustainability. There is a site here that is supposed to do a decent job on ranking companies

Search sustainability ratings for thousands of fashion brands. Learn their impact on people, planet and animals. Discover new ethical clothing labels.

Asket is one of the companies I came across recently when I was trying to buy some good quality plain tees coming into summer. They do full transparency on the cost of the T-shirt. 12 EUR landed cost which they breakdown on the site here. I was not going out of my way to be ethical they were just one of the companies recommended constantly for quality, fit, etc. I can't find the breakdown on the site but I had seen it somewhere on how the T-shirts then come out to 35 when you factor in all of their costs and the need to have a profit margin to stay in business. While Shein is obviously on the very bad end of the scale it does show the kind of cost to the consumer to do it in a somewhat better way and I very much doubt most are willing to pay that premium.
                                Last edited by Opr; 19-04-22, 17:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

I showed him, and they aren't even that dear for boots, like 120 or something, but he was like no way and went back to his 40 euro boots over and over. He is also a millionaire.
                                  Such a depressing line. There has to be some truth in the adage "the more you have, the tighter you become"

Know a few very wealthy people also and they are miserly beyond belief

Comment

10 hour trip back. Although we stopped in a cave along the way. A rather disappointing cave tbh - Crag Cave.

The eldest was going to sleep tonight and was saying - I *love* the way we get to stop everywhere along the way.

Thats was their 10 years of public-transporting has conditioned them too.

It was quite fun, in fairness. We got the initial morning buzz, walking around Tralee waiting for the car's first charge eating a big bag of sausages from the SuperValu counter. Wondering what the upcoming cave would be like. I waxed lyrically about the salt mines of Colombia I had once visited. As the actual cave became apparently a two-minute stroll where we barely went underground we commenced a decent few hours anticipation out of wondering what the Barack Obama Plaza would be like. This was broken by an hours recharging stop in Newcastle West Centra. Got a few comic books there. The youngest learned how to use a compass from the gifts in one of the comics. But our main thoughts were on what type of food would be fit for a president?

wow, they have deeply insulted Barack with that place.

But then again - Papa Johns is proper kid pizza. Horrific for adults mind you. It should be a crime to sell it to adults.

Don't eat dessert I screamed, there's an amazing dessert place at the next stop. Out to the car. As it turns out, and this was purely by chance, our last roadside stop was Junction 14 Mayfield. A glorious wonderland that didn't explicitly smell of Supermacs, with a Ginos, a play area. A fucking salad bar. Its a long way from the Barack Obama Plaza that the Mayfield was reared.

No wonder the kids were delighted. A bag of sausages to start, caves, comic books, pizza, and ice-cream. And all it took was 10 hours.
                                    Fair play to you for looking on the bright side, accentuating the positives, but that sounds like an absolute ball ache.

All those improvements in motorways and by passes and you're not beating a 1970s Cortina on bumpy back roads.

Is that just a Nissan Leaf thing in terms of range? Are there EVs that will get you to Dingle on a single charge?

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

You and rdIII are both starting from the naive and incorrect assumption that any decision made at manchester united is made from a footballing perspective. Once you accept that every decision begins and ends with, ‘what will make the most money?’ Things become much clearer.

even taking that aside, I think i’ve explained why the central tenet that ‘ronaldo makes them worse’ is wrong.
                                      I agree on the first point (or broadly similar anyway), but neither I nor Raoul claimed otherwise, I disagree on the 2nd.

Comment

Such a depressing line. There has to be some truth in the adage "the more you have, the tighter you become"

Fact.

My Dad used to manage a very popular 90s nightclub, was part of a massive successful venue. At the end of the night the two owners, multi millionaires, used to walk the floors picking up coins.
                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Fair play to you for looking on the bright side, accentuating the positives, but that sounds like an absolute ball ache.

All those improvements in motorways and by passes and you're not beating a 1970s Cortina on bumpy back roads.

Is that just a Nissan Leaf thing in terms of range? Are there EVs that will get you to Dingle on a single charge?

I was working on the assumption that Hitch didnt charge it the night before he left for Dingle or the night before he left for home.

If that's all a Nissan leaf gets you on a full charge then we are further away from the "EV revolution" than I thought.

At the moment, I can leave Ashbourne, drive to my parents in Kerry, make a trip or 2 into Killarney and drive back and my petrol light will come on somewhere between the red cow and my exit on the m50. I've "chanced" it before and been grand to just park up when I get back and fill up the next day or whenever.

Can't imagine having to stop every few km on the motorway. Your ball ache description is spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Fact.

My Dad used to manage a very popular 90s nightclub, was part of a massive successful venue. At the end of the night the two owners, multi millionaires, used to walk the floors picking up coins.
                                            Would go for pints regularly enough with a very nicely well off fella. If we are in a round and i bought first, he would often leave on an odd number - i.e. if i have bought 4 rounds and him 3, he'll say he has to go.

If the opposite is true it will never happen - even points out that we've had an odd number and have to even it up.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

If that's all a Nissan leaf gets you on a full charge then we are further away from the "EV revolution" than I thought.
                                              Miles away, if you pardon the pun.

Was a bit of chatter here a few months back saying it was imminent but can't really see it.

Comment

How are goals are overrated?
                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Who would have ever thought you would see these kinds of prices on United against Liverpool. They are being priced like relegation fodder compared to Liverpool. I have plenty of experience backing these silly prices down through the years as a Liverpool fan. I think you can currently get 9/1 on United on the machine so giving you the benefit of my experience just remember that means for every 10 euros you put on United you will lose 10 euros.

Comment

I drove home from Edinburgh in an electric car with less capacity than Hitch's on Saturday, door to door was 11 hours including a near 3 hour boat journey (and being @ the ferry for the guts of an hour too). 3 charge stops along the way, 25 mins, 20mins, 15mins.

My car has less than half the battery of most new electrics, plenty have 3x capacity and 3x charging speeds too.

Me thinks there is more to Hitch's story...

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                      I drove home from Edinburgh in an electric car with less capacity than Hitch's on Saturday, door to door was 11 hours including a near 3 hour boat journey (and being @ the ferry for the guts of an hour too). 3 charge stops along the way, 25 mins, 20mins, 15mins.

My car has less than half the battery of most new electrics, plenty have 3x capacity and 3x charging speeds too.

Me thinks there is more to Hitch's story...
                                                      well we stopped places, that was the main thing. Often waiting a bit for chargers. The Tralee charger was a slow charger. The food took a fair bit to arrive. We visited an alleged cave. We weren't in a hurry is the main thing. I guess we could have done it quicker. Charges were each 46 minutes, when it was available. We also tried to keep a backup amount of kilometres on the clock. Going 120 on the motorway also eats up 3 kilometre range per kilometre journeyed. That type of thing.

There are loads of better capacity cars out there that are just around the corner. 400km seems to be the new standard range.

Wouldn't swap the car for a second btw, its a phenomenal city car.
                                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

The eldest has finally succumbed to covid, making the last of us. We've now had four weeks of one after the other of us having that. None of us barely noticing apart from a bit of a cough. Fair fucks to vaccines.

Comment

We visited an alleged cave.
                                                          It's 2.5 miles long. I don't know much about caves but it sounds like it is one all the same.

Comment

Fun watching Thiago treat the United players for what they are.

Comment

It's 2.5 miles long. I don't know much about caves but it sounds like it is one all the same.
                                                              Unless a big part of the cave was closed for fitting fake stalagtites, that was definitely not the cave we were in. A few minutes underground. It would be a stretch to say it took five minutes to go from start to finish and back again.

Comment

Watching that 45 minutes was like watching 11 lads on crutches trying to chase down 11 champion race horses.

Comment

Unless a big part of the cave was closed for fitting fake stalagtites, that was definitely not the cave we were in. A few minutes underground. It would be a stretch to say it took five minutes to go from start to finish and back again.
                                                                  I don't know. Have never been. It's fairly famous though which made me look it up. I'd imagine there has to be more there than what you saw alright.

Comment

The Ukraine war had given the impression of being in a static phase for the last ten days or so but that seems to have changed in the last 24 hours as the Russians attack in the East. Hopefully those shipments Biden sent get to the right areas in time.
                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                      Watching that 45 minutes was like watching 11 lads on crutches trying to chase down 11 champion race horses.
                                                                      They seem to have been replaced by a different team at half time.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                        The Ukraine war had given the impression of being in a static phase for the last ten days or so but that seems to have changed in the last 24 hours as the Russians attack in the East. Hopefully those shipments Biden sent get to the right areas in time.
                                                                        Surely theres a quiet acceptance that the endgame is that Russia takes Donbass, Ukraine gets armed to the hilt but secretly agrees to back off and allow Donbass to be taken while openly protesting furiously, and it goes back to an uneasy truce for the next few years until it starts up again. Some sanctions then lifted on Russia so that there is something to take away from them when they go again.

Comment

Surely theres a quiet acceptance that the endgame is that Russia takes Donbass, Ukraine gets armed to the hilt but secretly agrees to back off and allow Donbass to be taken while openly protesting furiously, and it goes back to an uneasy truce for the next few years until it starts up again. Some sanctions then lifted on Russia so that there is something to take away from them when they go again.
                                                                          If we had been born several decades earlier, I would have loved to see the predictions you came out as WW2 unfolded.

Comment

If we had been born several decades earlier, I would have loved to see the predictions you came out as WW2 unfolded.
                                                                            You think thats unreasonable as a trajectory? I've given up war-based predictions due to past failings. Thats just what I've been picking up from the newspapers.

Comment

They seem to have been replaced by a different team at half time.
                                                                              We're winning this game on 2nd half shots on target...

Comment

We let Putin get away with the same shit in Georgia, no reason why he or whoever follows him will stop doing it as longa as there are no consequences. Got to cut the hea
                                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                  We're winning this game on 2nd half shots on target...
                                                                                  That third goal actually came against the run of play imo.

Comment

That third goal actually came against the run of play imo.
                                                                                    That one not so much.

Comment

At least it's been definitively proven that Ronaldo is the problem

Comment

You think thats unreasonable as a trajectory? I've given up war-based predictions due to past failings. Thats just what I've been picking up from the newspapers.
                                                                                        I thought you didn't trust or consume mass media. Which newspapers did you glean this from?

Comment

At least it's been definitively proven that Ronaldo is the problem
                                                                                          Was Rashford ever any good? He was running up blind alleys all night long.

Comment

I thought you didn't trust or consume mass media. Which newspapers did you glean this from?
                                                                                            Just between Sky News, Guardian, and to some extent NY Times. The feeling I've picked up is that Donbass is clearly lost, but that that will hopefully be the end of it. Plus some bit of land near Donbass that supplies fresh water to Crimea.

What are you getting at? You don't think thats the end of it? I haven't really picked that up.

Comment

Ah sure the poor fella has admitted to watching sky news recently, and suddenly realised that it's now more like Channel 4 news used to be (at least compared to BBC).
                                                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

That one not so much.
                                                                                                4th goal was a Harry Maguire special

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

We let Putin get away with the same shit in Georgia, no reason why he or whoever follows him will stop doing it as longa as there are no consequences. Got to cut the hea
                                                                                                  Presumably he has quickly run out of options for future expansion, now nearly all his neighbours are either cronies are in NATO / joining NATO.

I suspect there will be some easing of sanctions maybe after a 'peace accord' is signed, as otherwise Russia and their associated countries have nowhere to turn except to China, and that doesn't seem like a good long term plan. A strategic, less worse, option, if you will.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Ah sure the poor fella has admitted to watching sky news recently, and suddenly realised that it's now more like Channel 4 news used to be (at least compared to BBC).
                                                                                                    It really is decent. I seem to not have updated my opinions on them in a decade. Mainly due to not watching tv in a decade.

Comment

I'd notice it when people are giving others money, it's usually people that aren't well off that are giving, like empathy with their situation I guess. Woman coming out of Fresh the other day with her young kid and she was salt of the earth, lets say, she stopped and chatted to the homeless woman for a few minutes, bought her some small things like food and a chocolate bar, gave her a kiss on the cheek and wished her the best. Be lucky to get acknowledgement of existence from most people shopping there.

Comment

My own view (for what little it's worth) is that no matter what Russia do, all sanctions should remain in place for at least 10 years and if possible, they should be increased.

Plus, every international element of diplomacy with countries that either side with Russia or that don't condone them should be exerted to try get them to change their opinion/ways.

What Russia has done is inexcusable and cannot be a case of 'Ah, sure look it, ye pulled back a bit, fair play, we'll go easy on ya for a while'

Putin cannot be appeased. He views any form of appeasement as weakness and a opportunity to push his agenda forward. He has to be met head on and not just stopped in his tracks but pushed back.

Comment

Just between Sky News, Guardian, and to some extent NY Times. The feeling I've picked up is that Donbass is clearly lost, but that that will hopefully be the end of it.
                                                                                                          Sky News isn't a newspaper.

Give us some links to these Grauniad and NYT newspaper articles. Would be interesting to read.

Comment

Give us some links to these Grauniad and NYT newspaper articles. Would be interesting to read.
                                                                                                            You're being remarkably silent on what you think the alternative is! Its almost like you are just being contrary for the sake of it. Show me an alternative analysis.

Here is a quote from an article I was just reading on CNN suggesting that Donbass is where it will probably stop.

“There’s every possibility that Putin will move now to effectively bisect Ukraine; that will give him enough to be able to declare a victory domestically, and allay his critics that this has been a botched invasion,” said Samir Puri, a senior fellow in urban security and hybrid warfare at the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS), who worked as a ceasefire observer in Donbas between 2014 and 2015.
                                                                                                            From the breaking news here: https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-...-22/index.html

Comment

meh, if you only read the articles it is a de facto newspaper

Comment

Solskjær beginning to look like a managerial savant.
                                                                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Did the embassy in Dublin ever manage to get heating oil?

Comment

Was Rashford ever any good? He was running up blind alleys all night long.
                                                                                                                    Not really no. A creation of the British media who refuse to criticise him.

If he was foreign and white he'd be lambasted on a regular basis.

Comment

What better way to finish up work at 1am than to pop on the one, the only, the better call saul.

Comment

What better way to finish up work at 1am than to pop on the one, the only, the better call saul.
                                                                                                                        Beautiful. Man, its so good to have Saul back. And Mike, and Kim, and Lalo.

Comment

This is quite interesting in terms of how close we are to proper self-driving cars. UK is now legalising (broadly) self-driving cars on public roads.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X