This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

I have tickets thankfully. Searching for my mate and his missus. There's nothing available in the usual spots.

I saw one pair on toutless for Wednesday if you were interested in going. They're only €25 each.
    Cheers man, I would but I'm at an awards event tomorrow night. War on Drugs then clashing with the Thursday gig.
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

You could also make the argument that subsidising a fossil fuel (especially when we saw last week's climate report) would be just about the stupidest thing possible.

If anything, high fuel prices might help curb some of the crazy unsustainable behaviours we see on a daily basis in this country and force people into more sustainable practices. Any e-car driver who ended up paying for fossil fuels subsidies through their taxes would be completely entitled to feel ridden rock solid.
      I wasn’t specifically talking about petrol and diesel but also the raw cost that power plants use so would smooth out unusually high electricity and gas prices for individual households, electric cars are also a lot more expensive to run now compared to pre war.

We can move to more electric cars with more wind farms powering them and inter connectors to french nuclear but the war will be long gone before that happen. Bikes, trains and buses are fine in Dublin but not great if you need to get the family shop back to a farm in Roscommon,

if hauliers are adding a levy to prices at the moment than customers ultimately will bear that cost (+ vat), if energy prices are higher than businesses do have to pass it along to customers or go out of business.

Inflation is starting to kick up which is going to lead to pay demands across the board thus inflation spiral so I would have thought this would be a decent way to reduce one area.

Seems like it would be sensible to me but I’m sure it’s classic dunning Kruger and my knowledge of energy markets and inflation really is pretty limited.

Comment

Multiple reports of the RuSSians using chemical weapons in Mariupol. Every time you think they can't go lower, they do.

The really scary thought is 'what's next?'
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

I wasn’t specifically talking about petrol and diesel but also the raw cost that power plants use so would smooth out unusually high electricity and gas prices for individual households, electric cars are also a lot more expensive to run now compared to pre war.

We can move to more electric cars with more wind farms powering them and inter connectors to french nuclear but the war will be long gone before that happen. Bikes, trains and buses are fine in Dublin but not great if you need to get the family shop back to a farm in Roscommon,

if hauliers are adding a levy to prices at the moment than customers ultimately will bear that cost (+ vat), if energy prices are higher than businesses do have to pass it along to customers or go out of business.

Inflation is starting to kick up which is going to lead to pay demands across the board thus inflation spiral so I would have thought this would be a decent way to reduce one area.

Seems like it would be sensible to me but I’m sure it’s classic dunning Kruger and my knowledge of energy markets and inflation really is pretty limited.
          Sure we might as well go down the same route as water and declare free petrol and diesel to be an inalienable human right.
          Fuck it, electricity too.

Or people could start using less and behaving more sustainably.

Comment

Sure we might as well go down the same route as water and declare free petrol and diesel to be an inalienable human right.
            Fuck it, electricity too.

Or people could start using less and behaving more sustainably.
            If they can’t afford it they should have cold baths in their cold dark houses. Summer is round the corner so what’s the problem.

Jacob Raoul Mogg.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

If they can’t afford it they should have cold baths in their cold dark houses. Summer is round the corner so what’s the problem.

Jacob Raoul Mogg.
              RichieM Boyd-Barrett

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
                O Donnells Cheese and onion on two slices of white brennan's sliced pan coated in a generous spread of Kerry gold butter.

Cup of Lyons Gold Blend.

Surely the least nourishing calorie intake you can deliciously enjoy.
                Add in a decent cheddar and a helping of mayo and you are there

Comment

RichieM Boyd-Barrett
                  Out of touch middle class guy with a weak grasp of economics pretending he knows what it’s like for minimum wage employees. Might be a decent comparison.

Cleaner and childminder are both finding it really hard and we have given them both a pay bump in Jan so don’t really want to do it again. I do feel really bad for them tho so might have too. War is pretty unusual times and I won’t be able to drop it back down afterwards.

At least the people at work have the good grace not to complain to me.

Comment

I've never actually had a crisp sandwich.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                      These appeared late in the evening at IPBchamps wedding
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Decided, in the absence of any inviting QF\SF ties that we would venture to Marseille for the HC final this year.

Comment

Decided, in the absence of any inviting QF\SF ties that we would venture to Marseille for the HC final this year.
                          don't forget the friday night final also. would be silly to miss it.

they usually do a package deal so you attend both in the same seat

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

don't forget the friday night final also. would be silly to miss it.

they usually do a package deal so you attend both in the same seat
                            Ha, that was actually the first thing we all agreed on! That's usually some insane 40-39 thriller whereas the HC final itself tends to be a snoozefest.

Comment

Never had the gra for them either. Don't get it.
                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Anyone know anything about motors? Looking for a Automatic Self Charging Hybrid Saloon (191+) up to 40K budget. Want low tax and high mpg obviously. Mainly sub-urban driving.
                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Surely can't be long left for the Kinahans now the yanks are onto them

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                    Anyone know anything about motors? Looking for a Automatic Self Charging Hybrid Saloon (191+) up to 40K budget. Want low tax and high mpg obviously. Mainly sub-urban driving.

Have been thinking along similar lines recently and find I'm shifting against a hybrid towards either forcing the budget up to buy a new electric or downwards towards doing what I usually do, one last time probably, a 4-5 year old diesel with medium miles that I would hope to get 8-10 years out of.
                                    I'm not finding enough good reasons that seem to make it worthwhile driving two engines around the place and having twice as much to go wrong.
                                    Son in law had booked a test drive on an all singing and dancing Skoda electric and I went along or the ride, nice car but you are looking at 50 - 60K.
                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Has to be the ultimate wedding midnight snack right?

Comment

Search for used and new cars for sale in Ireland (carzone.ie)

Quite a lot of 'normal' cars there, I'd be happy with most of them.
                                        Perhaps specify that the ICE component should still be 1.6L or above. Ability to pull skin off a custard eg.
                                        Last edited by Micknail; 12-04-22, 15:11.
                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Search for used and new cars for sale in Ireland (carzone.ie)

Quite a lot of 'normal' cars there, I'd be happy with most of them.
                                          Yup. Been there. Body type saloon and fuel type petrol hybrid leaves you with a small list. Corolla, Camry or Lexus IS300h or ES300h. Leaning toward the IS300h at the moment.

Comment

Yup. Been there. Body type saloon and fuel type petrol hybrid leaves you with a small list. Corolla, Camry or Lexus IS300h or ES300h. Leaning toward the IS300h at the moment.
                                            House across the road has a 221 Corolla GR.
                                            1.8 petrol, hybrid, 178bhp.
                                            Pretty fully loaded new at €38k.

Maybe you'd prefer a physically larger car tho (ah right, saloon), in which case I'd be also admiring the Lexus. Go full Alan Partridge!
                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Have been thinking along similar lines recently and find I'm shifting against a hybrid towards either forcing the budget up to buy a new electric or downwards towards doing what I usually do, one last time probably, a 4-5 year old diesel with medium miles that I would hope to get 8-10 years out of.
                                              I'm not finding enough good reasons that seem to make it worthwhile driving two engines around the place and having twice as much to go wrong.
                                              Son in law had booked a test drive on an all singing and dancing Skoda electric and I went along or the ride, nice car but you are looking at 50 - 60K.
                                              pretty similar here. was keen to get a hybrid but the jump up in price is ridiculous, and not much to gain tbh, especially here as the cut off in the UK from when we are supposed to go fully electric will be 2030 (which the UK will never be ready for tbh), so i much preferred getting a petrol car which will last for another 10-15 years before having to convert to electric, and i would expect the prices to come down considerably by that time.

Comment

Maybe you'd prefer a physically larger car tho (ah right, saloon), in which case I'd be also admiring the Lexus. Go full Alan Partridge!
                                                the hyundai ioniq hybrid looks decent too

Comment

Maybe you'd prefer a physically larger car tho (ah right, saloon), in which case I'd be also admiring the Lex-i. Go full Alan Partridge!
                                                  FYP

Comment

the hyundai ioniq hybrid looks decent too
                                                    Decent looking?
                                                    Go to spec savers.
                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

that is fucking class tbf
                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Decent looking?
                                                        Go to spec savers.
                                                        spec wise it's decent, and fits the brief. jeez who shit in your porridge today?

Comment

FIL went into full time care today. We'd reached a stage were we simply couldn't provide the care he needs.
                                                          Don't quite know what to do with myself now with the time I'll have available.

In a way the lockdowns and restricted movements of the last two years have been a bit of a saviour as we didn't really appreciate
                                                          how much our life had been influenced. I don't regret a second of it and my daughter will (after the excitement of having Mammy & Daddy to herself dies down)
                                                          I hope, fondly remember the time she had living with her grandad.

The only problem now is there's no excuse for the house looking like a bomb site anymore.
                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Fair play for the time put in DP

Comment

On Cars, what is the story on someone based in the UK bringing their car back here? In particular how long do they have to be living back here before they can sell it ?
                                                              Also what does living here actually mean, do you have to be tax domiciled here or would anywhere in the EU do
                                                              Complicated enough but No 1 Son will be moving to Europe this year but it's looking likely his UK based job are finding it easier to transfer him to Irish office where he can WFH rather than transfer him to Italy where he'll be based.
                                                              Feels like he'd be giving up a lot of value by selling his car in the UK rather than here if he can bypass VRT and VAT by leaving it here for however long it takes.
                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

spec wise it's decent, and fits the brief. jeez who shit in your porridge today?
                                                                Oh yeah no I agree spec wise it fits the bill.

It's the blandest looking econobox I could imagine staring at. Have some flippin pride in you vehicle
                                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                  On Cars, what is the story on someone based in the UK bringing their car back here? In particular how long do they have to be living back here before they can sell it ?
                                                                  Also what does living here actually mean, do you have to be tax domiciled here or would anywhere in the EU do
                                                                  Complicated enough but No 1 Son will be moving to Europe this year but it's looking likely his UK based job are finding it easier to transfer him to Irish office where he can WFH rather than transfer him to Italy where he'll be based.
                                                                  Feels like he'd be giving up a lot of value by selling his car in the UK rather than here if he can bypass VRT and VAT by leaving it here for however long it takes.
                                                                  I'm not sure about the Vat and Vrt charges for moving home with a car since brexit,
                                                                  but wasnt the issue that you just had to show you owned the car and lived in the UK for 6 months before you brought it back the main stickler?

I mean, once you have it over here and regged, sell away imo. Edit <- Wrong on this.
                                                                  Not sure you'd be saving a whole lot if VRT was applied to it tho.
                                                                  Last edited by Micknail; 12-04-22, 18:30.
                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Sell car before coming home. Brexit fucked everything

Find out how to import your car and other motor vehicles into Ireland, and if you are liable to pay Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT).

Comment

I'm not sure about the Vat and Vrt charges for moving home with a car since brexit,
                                                                      but wasnt the issue that you just had to show you owned the car and lived in the UK for 6 months before you brought it back the main stickler?

I mean, once you have it over here and regged, sell away imo.
                                                                      Not sure you'd be saving a whole lot if VRT was applied to it tho.
                                                                      I don't believe there are any exceptions now. I think it's just 10% import tax + 21% vat regardless. I'd double check it with the revenue but almost certain he'd be better off selling the car and getting a new one here.
                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Oh yeah no I agree spec wise it fits the bill.

It's the blandest looking econobox I could imagine staring at. Have some flippin pride in you vehicle
                                                                        mine is lovely

Comment

NM you can claim relief from customs and VAT if you've owned it for 6 months: https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-...nce/index.aspx
                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

The Baxter and Greene Fish Pie from Dunnes is magic
                                                                            His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

mine is lovely
                                                                              You've given up on life.
                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Add in a decent cheddar and a helping of mayo and you are there
                                                                                That would be the equivalent of drawing a moustache on the Mona lisa.

Comment

The Jimmy Savile documentary on Netflix is well worth a watch.
                                                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

The latter knockout stages of the CL are consistently great for drama. Same in the Heineken Cup.

Whereas the finals are generally shit. There must be some reason for this.

Comment

You'd be slightly annoyed if you'd thrown a few quid on 1-4 at 45/1

Comment

There was a time when myself and a pal in college went for chip butties every night. I hope that doesn't sound like the sexual thing it clearly is. But there's something weirdly brilliant about carb-on-carb in the same way as crisp sandwiches. Abrakebabra being the odd home of the best chip butty in Dublin. Despite the fact they've never made anything else good.
                                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Chelsea a shambles last week and so good this week. This game eh.

Bayern shocker .

Comment

That stupid "handball" rule is part of the reason I've stopped watching soccer apart from CL games, his hand is in the most natural position, there is absolutely no movement towards the ball and he can do nothing to stop it. It's ridiculous.

This tie over 2 legs has been top class as CL knockout games generally are.

Jesus Benzema again as I'm typing. Unreal game.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

There was a time when myself and a pal in college went for chip butties every night. I hope that doesn't sound like the sexual thing it clearly is. But there's something weirdly brilliant about carb-on-carb in the same way as crisp sandwiches. Abrakebabra being the odd home of the best chip butty in Dublin. Despite the fact they've never made anything else good.
                                                                                              Home made chips with vinegar and brown sauce on batch bread was orgasmic. I miss da mudders healthy choice lunches .

Comment

Multiple reports of the RuSSians using chemical weapons in Mariupol. Every time you think they can't go lower, they do.

The really scary thought is 'what's next?'
                                                                                                I said it ages ago - you get your news from Liz Truss! She was the only politician to say that.

As you know by now this has now been widely dismissed. And she was the only person stupid enough to retweet the word of an actual Nazi group (Azov).
                                                                                                ​​​​

I'm not making a point about Russia being less horrific than they are (see my next post), but you seem to keep getting your news from her and its always dodgy news. There is something genuinely off with her.

Comment

I said it ages ago - you get your news from Liz Truss! She was the only politician to say that.

As you know by now this has now been widely dismissed. And she was the only person stupid enough to retweet the word of an actual Nazi group (Azov).
                                                                                                  ​​​​

I'm not making a point about Russia being less horrific than they are (see my next post), but you seem to keep getting your news from her and its always dodgy news. There is something genuinely off with her.
                                                                                                  Chemical weapons brings NATO into the war ?

Comment

There is something genuinely off with her.
                                                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

​​​​

I saw a weird story it was some kind of medical drop that was blown up.
                                                                                                      It's really one of those fog of war type things that you can't take as gospel until quadruple verified.
                                                                                                      And yes, Truss should never be listened to....fucking ever

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Chemical weapons brings NATO into the war ?
                                                                                                        Yeah. Maybe anyway. But it was, I think widely accepted as a false story now? That doesn't dismiss what Russia are doing, but jaysus how can a foreign minister of one of the largest military powers in the world not check she is retweeting fake stories

Comment

So, I met my Ukrainian friend in Rennes. What he was saying about life on the ground is truly horrific.

His mum must be 70+ as he's the same age as me. She lives in a place near the Polish border, so safe enough. Although apparently there's a military base near her, creating extra danger. Both her sons well-to-do with no money issues, so they could help her out.

But... she is trapped in Ukraine as she is in a wheelchair, and can't leave due to mobility. Spending nearly every night in an underground bunker. They ring each other and hear a bomb outside and she goes I'm off to the town bunker.

His brother - late 40s, IT consultant, has been drafted into the army and is literally fighting on front lines. Like, he has essentially never fought in his life. Had some exemption from army training due to academic skills. And is now walking around with a gun fighting.

Fucking hell.

Comment

"Regime that has used chemical weapons on multiple occasions, uses them again."

Has a ring of plausibility you have to admit.

Although I do admire Hitch's determination to ferret out the atrocities that may not yet be fully verified. I'm sure the people of Mariupol appreciate his industry.

Comment

Yeah. Maybe anyway. But it was, I think widely accepted as a false story now? That doesn't dismiss what Russia are doing, but jaysus how can a foreign minister of one of the largest military powers in the world not check she is retweeting fake stories
                                                                                                              I haven't read anything about it being a false story but neither have i seen it confirmed. Any news story I've seen is that it needs to be independently verified.

While we hope it's not true, I'm not too sure it would bring NATO in if it was.

Comment

I genuinely, and don't judge me on this given some of my earlier hot takes, had no idea just how horrible everything was. Its a walking nightmare. My friend wasn't even horrified by the whole thing, he had moved on to accepting this was the new reality. He was saying that when the war started he had to take three weeks to persuade his 18 year old kid to not return to Ukraine to probably die. Can you imagine that conversation?
                                                                                                                ​​​​​​

Comment

So, I met my Ukrainian friend in Rennes. What he was saying about life on the ground is truly horrific.

His mum must be 70+ as he's the same age as me. She lives in a place near the Polish border, so safe enough. Although apparently there's a military base near her, creating extra danger. Both her sons well-to-do with no money issues, so they could help her out.

But... she is trapped in Ukraine as she is in a wheelchair, and can't leave due to mobility. Spending nearly every night in an underground bunker. They ring each other and hear a bomb outside and she goes I'm off to the town bunker.

His brother - late 40s, IT consultant, has been drafted into the army and is literally fighting on front lines. Like, he has essentially never fought in his life. Had some exemption from army training due to academic skills. And is now walking around with a gun fighting.

Fucking hell.
                                                                                                                  Sounds like they're relatively lucky. They haven't been occupied by the RuSSians in their area with all the summary executing, torturing, raping and looring that entails.

Comment

"Regime that has used chemical weapons on multiple occasions, uses them again."

Has a ring of plausibility you have to admit.

Although I do admire Hitch's determination to ferret out the atrocities that may not yet be fully verified. I'm sure the people of Mariupol appreciate his industry.
                                                                                                                    Ah come on. As I've posted elsewhere on even this page there are many reasons to be completely horrified by Russia. But we largely know that is a false story now. Which is why Raoul shouldn't take his news cues from Liz Truss.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

I haven't read anything about it being a false story but neither have i seen it confirmed. Any news story I've seen is that it needs to be independently verified.

It wouldn't 'bring NATO in'. Virtually nothing inside Ukraine's borders would.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
                                                                                                                        You'd be slightly annoyed if you'd thrown a few quid on 1-4 at 45/1
                                                                                                                        Sure nobody would be foolish enough to back that.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

The Sky News investigation is quite informative. Saying, hmm this is a story by neo-nazis and yeah...

* although I want to once again emphasise that I'm just using this as a reason to doubt Roauls news sources, not to doubt how horrible the Russians are.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X