This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    This is quite interesting in terms of how close we are to proper self-driving cars. UK is now legalising (broadly) self-driving cars on public roads.
    I am really looking forward to seeing what kind of cars develop once the need for a driver is eliminated. At the moment designs are very much made with a driver in mind and the old type of design. Without the need for a driver, the possibilities are endless. The Zoox is an example of that which I think also encompasses the idea that many believe which is car ownership will become increasingly rare in favor of shared options.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

I am really looking forward to seeing what kind of cars develop once the need for a driver is eliminated. At the moment designs are very much made with a driver in mind and the old type of design. Without the need for a driver, the possibilities are endless. The Zoox is an example of that which I think also encompasses the idea that many believe which is car ownership will become increasing rare in favor of shared options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGgG...nnel=Freethink
      There was an Apprentice episode this season where they had to decorate Zoox! Disco lights is the way to go apparently.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Just clicked submit on a 30,000-word request to the EU for €7m of funding to create a metaverse to preserve traditional handicrafts. Making the world a bit better step by step.

Comment

Beautiful. Man, its so good to have Saul back. And Mike, and Kim, and Lalo.
          I'm gonna miss the breaking bad world after this season. I don't think there is any other story to be told at this stage.

I still haven't watched El Camino, so I must catch up at the weekend.

Comment

Beat: booked a van and my brother to move a bunch of stuff. Lift in the building decided to stop working today

Comment

Just between Sky News, Guardian, and to some extent NY Times. The feeling I've picked up is that Donbass is clearly lost, but that that will hopefully be the end of it. Plus some bit of land near Donbass that supplies fresh water to Crimea.

What are you getting at? You don't think thats the end of it? I haven't really picked that up.
              Plan for Ukraine seems to be fight using whatever weapons they can get together until the Russians run out of tanks, conscripts or generals to lead them.

By allowing/promoting war crimes Russia has made it impossible to surrender because the alternative to dying fighting is dying with your hands tied behind your back after watching your family getting raped.

They also won’t meekly leave a portion of their population behind to suffer that fate.

Its surprising that you can’t see why giving up a big part of their country or allowing their population to be brutally murdered would be a problem for Ukrainians.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Plan for Ukraine seems to be fight using whatever weapons they can get together until the Russians run out of tanks, conscripts or generals to lead them.

By allowing/promoting war crimes Russia has made it impossible to surrender because the alternative to dying fighting is dying with your hands tied behind your back after watching your family getting raped.

They also won’t meekly leave a portion of their population behind to suffer that fate.

Its surprising that you can’t see why giving up a big part of their country or allowing their population to be brutally murdered would be a problem for Ukrainians.
                I think what HH is saying, though many might find it unpalatable, is that all Wars, where victory is not outright, inevitably end in compromise: in this particular situation the most likely compromise is a ceding of territory gained by Russia. And we also know, whether we like it or not, that sanctions will be largely dropped as soon as this end is arrived at. Otherwise welcome to WW111.

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

I think what HH is saying, though many might find it unpalatable, is that all Wars, where victory is not outright, inevitably end in compromise: in this particular situation the most likely compromise is a ceding of territory gained by Russia. And we also know, whether we like it or not, that sanctions will be largely dropped as soon as this end is arrived at. Otherwise welcome to WW111.

Yep this. I wasn't suggesting for a second its a good solution, just that it seems to be where the solution is going.

And indeed we live on an island where the end result of our own war was a form of partition. Some fought about that, but mostly we just accepted it as a shitty, but actual, solution.

Comment

The sanctions won't be dropped immediately, it's a lot easier to put sanctions on than take them off, most of the economic damage has been done by soft sanctions, i.e. companies refusing to do business with anyone Russian or related to Russia. It will take a long time before that's reversed.

Comment

re sanctions. They have to lift these a bit, or else Russia, a country with one of the largest resource bases in the world, will turn exclusively towards China. Nobody in the West wins from that. As putrid as it might seem to be, eventually, lifting some of the sanctions given what they have done.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                        The sanctions won't be dropped immediately, it's a lot easier to put sanctions on than take them off, most of the economic damage has been done by soft sanctions, i.e. companies refusing to do business with anyone Russian or related to Russia. It will take a long time before that's reversed.
                        oh yeah, they are permanently damaged by this, no doubt about that.

Comment

When looking at compromise and negotiation you need to know that the person on the other side of the table may act in good faith.

Russia gave ceasefire agreements during the last round and shelled civilians as they attempted to leave. Russia has committed war crimes in areas they captured and Russia has used heavy weapons, artillery and bombs on civilian areas.

The presumption is also that Russia will win or are winning which doesn’t seem to be the case.

It’s a bit of a war of attrition and as the west starts supplying more and better weapons as Russia deploys green conscripts in outdated tanks that balance moves. In short the Ukraine can replace equipment where as Russia can’t and what they have seems to be much lower quality than expected.

Can Russia use chemical weapons or carpet bomb the country - yes but that could bring other countries into the war.

Lastly how long can Russia last under the current or heavier sanctions. I am sure there are people projecting this but it’s not indefinitely.

If Russia had negotiated for day 1 then that’s probably right but as it stands I don’t see Ukraine bowing down.

Comment

oh yeah, they are permanently damaged by this, no doubt about that.
                            Any public company will have a hard time explaining to shareholders why they sold billions of assets for cheap, only to reverse their investment decisions in Russia in the next few years, absent a regime change, I would think. BP being the obvious one, but there are many others

Comment

When looking at compromise and negotiation you need to know that the person on the other side of the table may act in good faith.

Russia gave ceasefire agreements during the last round and shelled civilians as they attempted to leave. Russia has committed war crimes in areas they captured and Russia has used heavy weapons, artillery and bombs on civilian areas.

The presumption is also that Russia will win or are winning which doesn’t seem to be the case.

It’s a bit of a war of attrition and as the west starts supplying more and better weapons as Russia deploys green conscripts in outdated tanks that balance moves. In short the Ukraine can replace equipment where as Russia can’t and what they have seems to be much lower quality than expected.

Can Russia use chemical weapons or carpet bomb the country - yes but that could bring other countries into the war.

Lastly how long can Russia last under the current or heavier sanctions. I am sure there are people projecting this but it’s not indefinitely.

If Russia had negotiated for day 1 then that’s probably right but as it stands I don’t see Ukraine bowing down.

What do you think will be the end solution then? (genuine question). There's always a solution to these things, eventually.

Comment

I think your view is too much influenced by pro-Ukrainian/look at the sunny side media commentary. The most likely future, in my opinion, is one of compromise as laid out. I think Russia can outlast most and has the nuclear option (no pun intended) to ensure a solution at the end of the day. Of course I may be proven wrong and they withdraw in ignominy

Comment

What do you think will be the end solution then? (genuine question). There's always a solution to these things, eventually.
                                  I think Russia escapes footing the bill for the cost of the rebuild. No reparations because a war didn’t happen and obv no war crimes investigations.

Some weird deceleration from the Ukraine allowing people in the disputed regions to be allowed to celebrate being Russian but otherwise back to being part of the Ukraine but as demilitarised zones.

Russia gets Sevastopol naval yards - same rules as an embassy.

Allows Putin to say he has won when he spins it in the media.

I think Russia has shown their army to be second rate at best and they have burnt through a lot of their munitions stockpiles (cruise missiles especially), better troops and military leadership. That’s before you look at the prestige loss of your flagship being destroyed by a cobbled together systems because you didn’t pay to upgrade the defence system.

Their bargaining position is awful now and they are bleeding heavily.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                    4th goal was a Harry Maguire special
                                    so was the 1st

and the 3rd
                                    Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Disappointed you didnt do a skinny Jeans metaphor

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

so was the 1st

and the 3rd
                                        I thought the two first half goals were things of absolute beauty. Passing, movement, vision and a slick finish for both.
                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Afghanistan

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Afghanistan
                                            Really?

Comment

Afghanistan
                                              yikes, lets hope not.

I note the Israelis are a bit pissed off to be arming actual Nazis.

The Jeruselum Post writes: "The recently published video shows that these Israeli-developed weapons are now in the hands of the Azov Battalion, which has been widely characterised as a Neo-Nazi militia.

"While CNN and other media analysis has weighed the possibility that Azov has reformed, the group still has prominent Neo-Nazis in its ranks and features white supremacist symbology."

Comment

I thought the two first half goals were things of absolute beauty. Passing, movement, vision and a slick finish for both.
                                                The first goal came about because Maguire left his position to chase Mane to the halfway line, however having done so he never actually closed him down, instead allowing him to turn, read the paper, finish his tea and then pick out a 30 yard ball into the wide open quarter of the pitch Maguire had vacated.

the goal was a beautifully executed piece of play, but it’s easy to do when players allow themselves to be dragged out of position so easily.

2nd goal was incredible but again Maguire found himself not close enough to impact Mane and not far enough back to intercept the pass or pressure Salah on the ball.

the thrid goal saw Maguire again ‘marking’ Mane…this time there was literally nobody else around and nothing else to do and yet he still found himself 4 yards off Mane when the ball came in. Again the ball was great and the finish a masterclass in picking your spot and shaping yourself correctly but when you get as much space as Mane was given all night even the hard stuff looks incredibly easy.
                                                Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Really?
                                                  Perfect example of a previous Russian invasion and occupation that ended up with a prolonged US-backed insurgency, followed by ignominious withdrawal as the empire crumbled.

This of course is imperial overreach of far greater proportions. And Russia has no allies this time.

Comment

yikes, lets hope not.

I note the Israelis are a bit pissed off to be arming actual Nazis.
                                                    And yet the ones actually behaving like actual Nazis are the other side.

Comment

And yet the ones actually behaving like actual Nazis are the other side.
                                                      Well I think the perspective of Israel has some influence on the matter.

Comment

Perfect example of a previous Russian invasion and occupation that ended up with a prolonged US-backed insurgency, followed by ignominious withdrawal as the empire crumbled.

This of course is imperial overreach of far greater proportions. And Russia has no allies this time.
                                                        ha, I'd actually forgotten Russia were there also. Thats almost a carbon copy of the US experience in Afghan, including the ignominious withdrawal. Those guys are pretty fucking tough.

Comment

Well I think the perspective of Israel has some influence on the matter.
                                                          Well, it's a debate in the past tense anyway as they're all either dead or about to be so in the ruins of Mariupol.

The estimate is that 10-20% of them were neo-Nazis. So 100-200 in total. Which is less than 0.05% of the total of Ukraine's armed forces.
                                                          Interesting as well that there is no far-right component to Ukrainian electoral politics. Unlike, say, France or Italy.

Whereas next door, acting exactly like actual Nazis, is an entire country.
                                                          Maybe keep the focus on those Nazis I would suggest.

I'll make it easy to remember:
                                                          • Ukraine: peaceful democrats
                                                          • Russia: aggressive fascists

Comment

Well, it's a debate in the past tense anyway as they're all either dead or about to be so in the ruins of Mariupol.

The estimate is that 10-20% of them were neo-Nazis. So 100-200 in total. Which is less than 0.05% of the total of Ukraine's armed forces.
                                                            Interesting as well that there is no far-right component to Ukrainian electoral politics. Unlike, say, France or Italy.

sure. you are disagreeing with the Jerusalem Post though, not with me. Maybe send a letter to the newspaper, see if they publish it.

Comment

I can’t remember who posted this but it was very enjoyable read

One hundred billion people have walked this planet.

Comment

I was kinda of curious as you keep referring to them as Nazis, ruSSia, etc. I first just assume it was the standard practice of Godwin-ing online. But with the mention of fascists, I’m kinda thinking about it seriously.
                                                                No doubt they are ticking many of the boxes for fascism - extreme nationalism, militarisation, totalitarian
                                                                dictatorship etc. It feels cheap or something, given how often it’s banded about.

They’re obviously behaving horrifically. But nazis don’t exactly have a monopoly on horrific behaviour. If there’s any regime that it reminds me off it’s literally the Red Army during WW2.
                                                                Pointing of they’ve always been like this feels more damning.

Between 1941 and 1944, Soviet partisan units conducted raids deep inside Finnish territory, attacking villages and other civilian targets. In November 2006, photographs showing Soviet atrocities were declassified by the Finnish authorities. These include images of slain women and children. The partisans usually executed their military and civilian prisoners after a minor interrogation.

Around 3,500 Finnish prisoners of war, of whom five were women, were captured by the Red Army. Their mortality rate is estimated to have been about 40 percent. The most common causes of death were hunger, cold and oppressive transportation.

​​​​​​….

Fleeing before the advancing Red Army, large numbers of the inhabitants of the German provinces of East Prussia, Silesia, and Pomerania died during the evacuations, some from cold and starvation, some during combat operations. A significant percentage of this death toll, however, occurred when evacuation columns encountered units of the Red Army. Civilians were run over by tanks, shot, or otherwise murdered. Women and young girls were raped and left to die.

In addition, fighter bombers of the Soviet air force flew bombing and strafing missions that targeted columns of refugees.

​​​​​​….

Western estimates of the traceable number of rape victims range from two hundred thousand to two million. Following the Winter Offensive of 1945, mass rape by Soviet males occurred in all major cities taken by the Red Army. Women were gang raped by as many as several dozen soldiers during the liberation of Poland. In some cases victims who did not hide in the basements all day were raped up to 15 times. According to historian Antony Beevor, following the Red Army's capture of Berlin in 1945, Soviet troops raped German women and girls as young as eight years old.

Comment

It's quite ironic that the Russians army is behaving so badly they are now being compared the the Russian army.

Comment

Any hidden gems in the City Centre for 6yo kids to pass the day as dragging them in tomorrow?

Aside from the Zoo obvs

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                      Any hidden gems in the City Centre for 6yo kids to pass the day as dragging them in tomorrow?

Aside from the Zoo obvs
                                                                      paddy powers temple bar
                                                                      let them watch the cartoon races

Comment

Aside from the Zoo obvs
                                                                        Dead zoo if it's back open.
                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Aside from the Zoo obvs
                                                                          Leprechaun Museum is a laugh and kid friendly.

Wax museum maybe.

Comment

Walter and Jesse reunites for Better Call Saul new series

Comment

Aside from the Zoo obvs
                                                                              Is Merrion Park too obvious?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                I was kinda of curious as you keep referring to them as Nazis, ruSSia, etc. I first just assume it was the standard practice of Godwin-ing online. But with the mention of fascists, I’m kinda thinking about it seriously.
                                                                                No doubt they are ticking many of the boxes for fascism - extreme nationalism, militarisation, totalitarian
                                                                                dictatorship etc. It feels cheap or something, given how often it’s banded about.
                                                                                It's not a term I throw around lightly but there are so many exact parallels that I think it's accurate.

Here's a post I wrote about it a couple of days into the war. Note that I said 'Putin isn't Hitler - yet'. That was before the horrors of Mariupol, Bucha, Borodyansk and so many more places. I'd have no equivocation about it now.

Someone was looking for a rant.

I've been searching for a historical precedent to all of this, and despite the natural aversion to engaging in Godwinism, the analogy that invariably comes to mind is Nazi Germany. Demented leaders with a strong sense of paranoia and a burning feeling that their nation has suffered grievous historical injustice at the hands of outsiders. A desire to reconquer lost lands, starting with relatively small bites (the Rhineland, the Sudetenland, the Anschluss - Abkhazia, Transnistria, Crimea, the Donbass) and then, having observed the weakness of the democracies, moving to full-on wars of conquest against neighbours. The use of propaganda, allied with near-total state control, to both brainwash and terrify your own population into swallowing the lies and the costs of war. The use of useful idiots abroad, some paid, some just desperately seeking attention and some self-hating democrats, who will helpfully muddy the waters in their home polities, sowing division and lies. The militarisation of society. The demonisation of fringe groups. The racism. The murder of all opposition, at home and abroad. The use of false flags and provocation.

Putin isn't Hitler - yet.

But he's by far the closest thing we've seen in Europe since WW2. We must all do whatever we can to support the Ukrainians who are standing alone against this - even if it's just calling out useful idiots at home - like that fuckwit Mick Wallace, or that other gobshite Boyd Barrett. You get the impression they detest the rights and freedoms they enjoy under our democratic constitution. If you know a Russian, ask them what they think of the war - and if they equivocate, call them out on it. It's not a time for politeness. Talk to Indians and Chinese too and ask them why their country abstained on the vote condemning the war. Don't complain when your electricity and diesel prices go up - it's a small price to pay. Read, watch and listen only to media that is trustworthy. Fly a Ukrainian flag out your window. Symbolism matters and is powerful.

Above all, be angry. Take a side (and there is only one). Support those brave people across Ukraine. Hope for the demise of that evil, kleptomaniac psychopath in Moscow. And soon.

Comment

30-year fixed rate mortgages in the US (all US mortgages, effectively, are fixed rate for life of mortgage) are now 5% annual interest rate ​​​​​​

View data of the average interest rate, calculated weekly, of fixed-rate mortgages with a 30-year repayment term.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Any public company will have a hard time explaining to shareholders why they sold billions of assets for cheap, only to reverse their investment decisions in Russia in the next few years, absent a regime change, I would think. BP being the obvious one, but there are many others

https://www.reuters.com/business/ene...ft-2022-02-27/
                                                                                    'It was the right thing to do'... 'If you lie down with dogs you get up with fleas?...What else needs to be said?

I know you are right but its a graphic illustration of the moral vacuum at the heart of capitalism.
                                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I know they have to be safe about this, but surely they could move a fair bit faster? Our first contact back from them was yesterday, maybe a month after filling in the form, and that was just some pro-forma thing saying 'is your accommodation still available'. Apparently what people have ended up doing is making offers of accommodation through Facebook, which is surely a worse-case approach, compared to Red Cross moving a bit quicker.

And by the end of May it is expected there will be between 29,000 to 33,000 Ukrainians seeking accommodation in Ireland.

Ministers were told 90pc of serviced and emergency accommodation is currently being used to house Ukrainian refugees.

They were told independent accommodation will be occupied as soon as it becomes available as the demand is higher than the capacity available.

So far, the Red Cross has secured just 110 accommodation places from offers made by the public.

Comment

Would anyone be interested in a bet that the queen will be dead by September?

Comment

Would anyone be interested in a bet that the queen will be dead by September?
                                                                                          Which side you on?
                                                                                          Reckon the Andrew stuff must have knocked for her 6,
                                                                                          And obv the Philip thing too
                                                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Which side you on?
                                                                                            Reckon the Andrew stuff must have knocked for her 6,
                                                                                            And obv the Philip thing too
                                                                                            I feel theres a bit of mood music that she is in her last days. So, I'd be firmly on the dead side.

Comment

Just clicked submit on a 30,000-word request to the EU for €7m of funding to create a metaverse to preserve traditional handicrafts. Making the world a bit better step by step.
                                                                                              By the by sorare is still going fucking gang busters and just added spl to the leagues covered.
                                                                                              I'm earning roughly 0.02eth every 4 days from squad performance and cards I picked up for €30/€40 a few months ago are now worth €500+
                                                                                              I am by no means an expert but a semi decent fpl or opta scoring knowledge pays off well here.
                                                                                              sorare.com/r/deadparrot is my referral link (I get paid, you get free cards) . It's not quite free money but it's a fun punt that pays off if u put in a modicum of effort.
                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

By the by sorare is still going fucking gang busters and just added spl to the leagues covered.
                                                                                                I'm earning roughly 0.02eth every 4 days from squad performance and cards I picked up for €30/€40 a few months ago are now worth €500+
                                                                                                I am by no means an expert but a semi decent fpl or opta scoring knowledge pays off well here.
                                                                                                sorare.com/r/deadparrot is my referral link (I get paid, you get free cards) . It's not quite free money but it's a fun punt that pays off if u put in a modicum of effort.
                                                                                                I lost a grand on that. Just the complete lack of football knowledge. I'm intending to go big on silks.io though, which is due to launch

Comment

I feel theres a bit of mood music that she is in her last days. So, I'd be firmly on the dead side.
                                                                                                  Hmmmm, in a wheelchair now, 96 soon,
                                                                                                  had covid, doesn't make public appearances.

What drew the line at September?
                                                                                                  Summer bounce?
                                                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Hmmmm, in a wheelchair now, 96 soon,
                                                                                                    had covid, doesn't make public appearances.

What drew the line at September?
                                                                                                    Summer bounce?
                                                                                                    Just trying to make a contest of it really.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                                      I can’t remember who posted this but it was very enjoyable read

https://www.collaborativefund.com/blog/think/
                                                                                                      I haven't read that in a while.
                                                                                                      Great brain juice
                                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

I lost a grand on that. Just the complete lack of football knowledge. I'm intending to go big on silks.io though, which is due to launch
                                                                                                        Given your roundtower account didn't even do the few auctions needed for your (at the time) free card worth €200+ I think ya did it wrong.

Man. I'm not a professor touting expertise in Web 3.0 investments but that silks thing smells like eth horse mark 2.
                                                                                                        The white paper gives just screams rug pull.
                                                                                                        Jesus.... Have you read that white paper?
                                                                                                        Do not buy that
                                                                                                        ​​​​

​​​​​

​​​​
                                                                                                        ​​​​​​
                                                                                                        ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Given your roundtower account didn't even do the few auctions needed for your (at the time) free card worth €200+ I think ya did it wrong.

Man. I'm not a professor touting expertise in Web 3.0 investments but that silks thing smells like eth horse mark 2.
                                                                                                          The white paper gives just screams rug pull.
                                                                                                          Jesus.... Have you read that white paper?
                                                                                                          Do not buy that
                                                                                                          ​​​​

​​​
                                                                                                          All these things are a hairsbreadth away from a rugpull. Its a fine line between what works and what ends up a scam. I feel its decently convincing. Although do have later in the week scheduled to listen to the AMAs to get a feel for the whole thing, but the discord group is decent.

Comment

Morning folks, another house related question. I have a call with an architect this morning and going to get onto another few just to gauge ideas/design. What's this generally going to set me back?

Edit to add -

Is there any SEAI grants etc that I could look at in regards to an extension.
                                                                                                            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Interested to know the answer to that also. Dice?

Comment

Also while I'm thinking of it. Is there any SEAI grants etc that I could look at in regards to an extension?

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                                                  Morning folks, another house related question. I have a call with an architect this morning and going to get onto another few just to gauge ideas/design. What's this generally going to set me back?
                                                                                                                  For the entire extension or the architect?
                                                                                                                  Its a bit of a how long is a piece of string thing in either case.
                                                                                                                  Level of finish and area will dictate everything.

Comment

30-year fixed rate mortgages in the US (all US mortgages, effectively, are fixed rate for life of mortgage) are now 5% annual interest rate ​​​​​​

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MORTGAGE30US
                                                                                                                    And the ECB will likely follow suit (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ly-kazaks-says), all in an effort to combat inflation. Who ever could have predicted that!

I'm currently in Istanbul, inflation here is currently running at over 60%, because Erdogen doesn't believe in raising rates to combat inflation (amongst other reasons)

"Spiralling inflation is tied to the government’s efforts to radically overhaul the Turkish economy, keeping interest rates low in the belief that this will stimulate it and increase production – against the advice of most experts. There have also been frequent changes in key personnel at the central bank – Turkey has now had four central bank chiefs in three years."

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                      For the entire extension or the architect?
                                                                                                                      Its a bit of a how long is a piece of string thing in either case.
                                                                                                                      Level of finish and area will dictate everything.
                                                                                                                      Architect cost. I tried to go back in and edit the post but IPB keeps giving me an error message.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                                                        Architect cost. I tried to go back in and edit the post but IPB keeps giving me an error message.
                                                                                                                        Would depend on the size of the extension, if it’s planning only or full design documents. Some site supervision or full contact administration.

Low end. Maybe 3k for planning only.
                                                                                                                        High end probably 10+k, increases in tandem with service.

You’d be after something in the middle.
                                                                                                                        Planning, construction docs, some site supervision. Certification

Comment

And the ECB will likely follow suit (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ly-kazaks-says), all in an effort to combat inflation. Who ever could have predicted that!

I'm currently in Istanbul, inflation here is currently running at over 60%, because Erdogen doesn't believe in raising rates to combat inflation (amongst other reasons)

"Spiralling inflation is tied to the government’s efforts to radically overhaul the Turkish economy, keeping interest rates low in the belief that this will stimulate it and increase production – against the advice of most experts. There have also been frequent changes in key personnel at the central bank – Turkey has now had four central bank chiefs in three years."

Yes, the famous transitory speech last year doesn’t seem so clever now, but I think they were correct at the time. I do think the higher cost inflation does act somewhat of a break to the system, unless it’s followed by wage increases etc, which you’ll see in Ireland the Teachers Unions are once again batting for. The lack of rate rises was one of the primary causes of the Celtic Tiger crashes for Ireland because the gander and the goose Germany were misaligned. Interesting to see how Turkey manages all of this, given their almost entirely foreign funded debt balance it’s hard to see how rampant (local currency) inflation is going to be at all useful for them.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X