This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Let me run something by you while you are there. Is there any evidence that people who are engaged in competitive sport long term can be over productive neurochemically in this area and it can be a burden to them in everyday modern life?
    Fight or flight is still hard coded.

Apparently a higher % of Gold medeal winners in the Olympics have ADHD . So I read anway.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

For that to happen, there would have to be a big push to get the infrastructure in place in the next 8 years. I've no idea who needs to get that ball rolling but I just dont see it happening.

For everyone in the country to buy an electric vehicle, you need every "petrol station" in the country to have multiple charge points, you need them in the rest-stop lay-bys on the motorways. Need them easily accessible in car parks in small towns and villages.

Got taken for a spin last week in an electric car that shows the nearest charge points and it was mad how little there was available.

Also, I'd have absolutley no intention of giving up my petrol car while it's taking 10 hours to spin down to Kerry like it took you last week so the manufacturers need to improve the battery life and power of the car itself.

I'd definitely take the overs if 2030 is the line
      if you have a driveway, and a car made after 2020 you will effectively never require the public charging infrastructure unless you're driving >300m in one day regularly. You will do all your charging at home, at far lower rates than the public charging network will charge you.

If you don't have a driveway - electric cars are not really accessible yet.

Ecars (ESB) have absolutely taken the piss with the infrastructure - and we're at about 1 charge point for every 15 electric cars in the country. 'Best Practice' suggests that needs to be closer to 1:5. At this 'early stage' of us all migrating to Electric cars, it's not good enough to be this far behind - absolutely, but weirdly the electricity costs going up across the board will make it more profitable for private companies to come in (Ionity an example, Fastned / Gridserve other options) and set up fast charging points around the place. Tesla already talking about opening up their super charging network to non-Teslas.

'Slow' Charging (7kW) AC chargers cost approx €700 after grants for home owners at the moment. I really hope that we have the balls to double that grant / make it effectively free for shopping centres / restaurants / cinemas etc to install them. Would easily be able to saturate the 'slow charging' areas around sites that make sense to have them within a couple of years as no huge infrastructure required. (DC - Fast Charging - a whole other infrastructural issue)

Comment

If you power the house off a battery can you charge the battery on night rate and then use the energy during the day?
        Yep. But battery costs about 3k, so ideally you don't want to be forking that out.
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Let me run something by you while you are there. Is there any evidence that people who are engaged in competitive sport long term can be over productive neurochemically in this area and it can be a burden to them in everyday modern life?
          I haven't come across it. If they're winning it might be a good thing. There's a book by the Trinity Psychologist Ian Robertson called The Winner Effect. He has a good few videos of him giving talks on it if you're interested.

Comment

For that to happen, there would have to be a big push to get the infrastructure in place in the next 8 years. I've no idea who needs to get that ball rolling but I just dont see it happening.

For everyone in the country to buy an electric vehicle, you need every "petrol station" in the country to have multiple charge points, you need them in the rest-stop lay-bys on the motorways. Need them easily accessible in car parks in small towns and villages.

Got taken for a spin last week in an electric car that shows the nearest charge points and it was mad how little there was available.

Also, I'd have absolutley no intention of giving up my petrol car while it's taking 10 hours to spin down to Kerry like it took you last week so the manufacturers need to improve the battery life and power of the car itself.

I'd definitely take the overs if 2030 is the line
            Nah, that infrastructure is all easily fixed, and is rapidly being fixed. Thats not an issue. Mileage is being solved quite quickly also. We're going to easily have 500-600km ranges as standard on all cars by 2030. Then the cost is falling dramatically - there's going to be no price difference between electric and petrol cars by then. With the tax and cost advantages, no-one in their right mind would consider a non-electric car by 2030. Its a done deal.

Comment

I noticed in Junction 14 they have a whole row of chargers, seem to be next generation too - can charge maybe 15 cars at a time. That will become standard very quickly in all motorway stops, as otherwise the motorway stops will find themselves losing business.

Comment

jihhxmp.png
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

if you have a driveway, and a car made after 2020 you will effectively never require the public charging infrastructure unless you're driving >300m in one day regularly. You will do all your charging at home, at far lower rates than the public charging network will charge you.

If you don't have a driveway - electric cars are not really accessible yet.

Ecars (ESB) have absolutely taken the piss with the infrastructure - and we're at about 1 charge point for every 15 electric cars in the country. 'Best Practice' suggests that needs to be closer to 1:5. At this 'early stage' of us all migrating to Electric cars, it's not good enough to be this far behind - absolutely, but weirdly the electricity costs going up across the board will make it more profitable for private companies to come in (Ionity an example, Fastned / Gridserve other options) and set up fast charging points around the place. Tesla already talking about opening up their super charging network to non-Teslas.

'Slow' Charging (7kW) AC chargers cost approx €700 after grants for home owners at the moment. I really hope that we have the balls to double that grant / make it effectively free for shopping centres / restaurants / cinemas etc to install them. Would easily be able to saturate the 'slow charging' areas around sites that make sense to have them within a couple of years as no huge infrastructure required. (DC - Fast Charging - a whole other infrastructural issue)
                  That's a great post, thanks.

Yes, we don't have a driveway. We have parking areas on the estate and never guaranteed to get a spot near the house. Where I currently park my car would make it impossible to charge as I'd need to have quite a long cable run on a public footpath and that has the potential for a whole other world of pain.

It's the long drives that turn me off electric tbh. I want to sit into my car and go to my destination without stopping, not have to stop at least once and probably twice to charge.

Compare that to 5mins in a garage before setting off, fill up, grab a coffee, next time I leave my car I'll be at my destination.

I take your point about companies setting up charge points and hopefully that happens along with the improvement to travel long distances

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Nah, that infrastructure is all easily fixed, and is rapidly being fixed. Thats not an issue. Mileage is being solved quite quickly also. We're going to easily have 500-600km ranges as standard on all cars by 2030. Then the cost is falling dramatically - there's going to be no price difference between electric and petrol cars by then. With the tax and cost advantages, no-one in their right mind would consider a non-electric car by 2030. Its a done deal.
                    That's optimistic and I hope you're right. I don't think it's quite the done deal you're making out but I think it's an interesting topic. I think if you can increase the range like that across the board, you'll get the uptake you mentioned. Otherwise, you'll just have people choosing convenience and time saving over electric because as good and all as you made your trip out to be, nobody wants to spend 10 hours travelling around the country.

Comment

Man is driving a wet week, now he's a motor expert
                      Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                        Man is driving a wet week, now he's a motor expert
                        well its an economic analysis rather than a car analysis. The savings are just too much from electric, its impossible to ignore.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                          Voting today shraap? Predicting something like 61-39 in the runoff.
                          Yep voted first thing this morning at 830. I'd say more likely 55-45. A lot of #anyonebutmacron votes unfortunately which may boost her numbers, although ive also heard of a good few apathetic voters coming ng out of the white vote camp to actually vote for macron. I just really hope we're not in for a horrible surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Would you not just get an IPTV sub?
                            Like what? I can find anything i want really as a rule but struggling to find french films and tv series so was looking at my options.

Comment

Ffs it doesn't take 10 hours to drive from Dublin to Kerry in an electric car.

This is what it would take in my car with 28kWh battery. Any cars post 2020 have 2x if not 3x the capacity. My car also maxes at about 65kW on 'fuelling' with some of the newer cars capable of 3x that too!
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Emmet; 24-04-22, 17:17.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Yep voted first thing this morning at 830. I'd say more likely 55-45. A lot of #anyonebutmacron votes unfortunately which may boost her numbers, although ive also heard of a good few apathetic voters coming ng out of the white vote camp to actually vote for macron. I just really hope we're not in for a horrible surprise.
                                I think you should be grand, Le Pen being sponsored by Putin should be somewhat of an electoral liability, you would hope.

It would be Brexit (another RuSSia-sponsored event) to the power of ten.
                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Same journey in the base ( smaller battery) spec Ioniq 5 (2022's best selling electric car in Ireland)

Actually that's to waterville
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by Emmet; 24-04-22, 17:38.

Comment

I put a deposit down on a new car yesterday, a fully electric model. Can't wait to get my hands on it in a few months time!

Comment

I think you should be grand, Le Pen being sponsored by Putin should be somewhat of an electoral liability, you would hope.

It would be Brexit (another RuSSia-sponsored event) to the power of ten.
                                      I hope so. These days the margins of error seem to be magnified and rightly cause concern, and she did a hell of a lot better in the debate than 5 years.

Comment

This is what it would take in my car with 28kWh battery. Any cars post 2020 have 2x if not 3x the capacity. My car also maxes at about 65kW on 'fuelling' with some of the newer cars capable of 3x that too!
                                        Was only basing it on Hitch 1st hand account he posted here. I havent a clue what it should take tbh. I just want to do it as a non-stop journey with no issues.

And tbh at almost 5 hours and stopping for 2 charges, thats still too much hassle for my liking.

At the moment I can go door to door in about 3hrs 15mins. Give or take 10/15mins for traffic once I get off the motorway. But 3:15 is a good barometer. Less hassle, less travel time, easier life.

Comment

I hope so. These days the margins of error seem to be magnified and rightly cause concern, and she did a hell of a lot better in the debate than 5 years.
                                          58-42. C'est fini.

Comment

58-42. C'est fini.
                                            That'll do pig, that'll do

Comment

Was only basing it on Hitch 1st hand account he posted here. I havent a clue what it should take tbh. I just want to do it as a non-stop journey with no issues.

And tbh at almost 5 hours and stopping for 2 charges, thats still too much hassle for my liking.

At the moment I can go door to door in about 3hrs 15mins. Give or take 10/15mins for traffic once I get off the motorway. But 3:15 is a good barometer. Less hassle, less travel time, easier life.
                                              ah, but we were having fun with all the stops. Could have done it a lot quicker. But, still, it does need the next generation of cars with 500+ km range as standard. Current standard of new electric seems to be about 400km, so it needs the next generation of cars. But they won't be far away. There's also these new superchargers for motorways that will fill up a car in 20 minutes, so it would be one-stop max for about 20 minutes for anywhere in Ireland once they become widespread.

Comment

The French do love to hate their authority figures, so its some victory for Macron. He also managed to demolish the French equivalent of FF and FG in his two-term rise to the top. Some going. I wonder if a lot of people were remembering his speeches during the beginning of covid, they were just beautiful speeches. Hopefully he'll actually do something now, he didn't really do much in his first term.

Comment

I was talking to a Tesla owner during the week, he said he opted for the larger capacity battery. I was telling him about Hitch and he said he drove to Derry the previous week and it only used 55% of the battery.
                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

His car was a Dec 2021 model, he said he wanted to wait until Jan for the 22 reg but said you can't do that with Tesla. When your order is ready you've got to take it there and then.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

I was talking to a Tesla owner during the week, he said he opted for the larger capacity battery. I was telling him about Hitch and he said he drove to Derry the previous week and it only used 55% of the battery.
                                                      The Tesla does seem like a serious machine tbf

Comment

I'd imagine that anyone under the age of 50 still walking around with a mask has active covid and is trying to be a bit responsible. Wouldn't say anyone is actually staying at home isolating for 7 days. Makes them stand out like a sore thumb in a supermarket though in all their covid glory.

Comment

The Tesla does seem like a serious machine tbf
                                                          Yep. It seemed quite gimmicky and overpriced at the beginning, but they seem so far ahead of every other car manufacturer in the world. Its mad how it was just created from scratch by an internet dude. Really Elon is some genius, isn't he. That, and not to mention the whole space thing, where he seems to have outsmarted every country in the world in terms of space technology.

Comment

I'd love one.

Comment

Reading Madwoman of the Sacred Heart. Its some read. I guess at least shrapnel has read it, given its part of the French grand graphic novel tradition?

Comment

Yep. It seemed quite gimmicky and overpriced at the beginning, but they seem so far ahead of every other car manufacturer in the world. Its mad how it was just created from scratch by an internet dude. Really Elon is some genius, isn't he. That, and not to mention the whole space thing, where he seems to have outsmarted every country in the world in terms of space technology.
                                                                ​​​​​​Martin Eberhard?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

​​​​​​Martin Eberhard?
                                                                  Don't know who that guy is. But the investment side aside, he does seem like a unique form of genius. He's ability to spot opportunities and bring them to fruition is something I'm not sure we've seen in generations. The way he can cross sectors with his ideas.

Comment

Reading Madwoman of the Sacred Heart. Its some read. I guess at least shrapnel has read it, given its part of the French grand graphic novel tradition?
                                                                    I absolutely love moebius and jodorowsky. Have you read the incal series of theirs (pretty sure i sent you the digital version years ago), and also the metabaron series by jodorowsky and gimenez?

Comment

I work for one of the biggest employer in Waterford and they have 16 chargers in work(new area being built with more chargers too) that are absolutely free and there's always a spot to charge. And yet 2 people in my shift have bought brand new 221 diesel cars for over €30k each. They need their head examined. I have no home charger yet due to living in an apartment(hopefully by end of year I'll have a house). I've had a 40kw leaf with about 220km range and spent 30 euro on public charging in 2 months.
                                                                      Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Like what? I can find anything i want really as a rule but struggling to find french films and tv series so was looking at my options.
                                                                        Someinth like cinema HD and a real-debrid sub might be your ticket for slightly not run of the mill movie/tv searches.
                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I had a real bad dose of a stomach bug last week. Started Sunday, I wasn't feeling a bit better until Friday. Lost almost a stone over the course of about 5 days (but I'm sure that has been reversed since somewhat) mostly through a severe case of the scours. I haven't had anything that bad and long lasting of that variety before that I can remember. Would not recommend. Shockingly enough, the kids had versions of it the week before, lasted around a week in them too. Was a very pleasant Easter period, all told.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                                            I had a real bad dose of a stomach bug last week. Started Sunday, I wasn't feeling a bit better until Friday. Lost almost a stone over the course of about 5 days (but I'm sure that has been reversed since somewhat) mostly through a severe case of the scours. I haven't had anything that bad and long lasting of that variety before that I can remember. Would not recommend. Shockingly enough, the kids had versions of it the week before, lasted around a week in them too. Was a very pleasant Easter period, all told.
                                                                            Thanks for sharing. I went for big crap the other day too. Lost about half a stone in there. Was pretty nuclear
                                                                            Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

I knew this post would bring Denny out!

Comment

Any recommendations for places to stay in Vegas for myself & the wife. Anybody spot any deals online? She's never been before so thinking about staying somewhere on the strip.
                                                                                "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

I just finished Lords of Finance, a must-read for anyone interested in the history of the financial system. It covers the prominent Central Bankers (& Keynes) from the end of WW1 up until WW2, it's really fascinating. Churchill pops up for a cameo appearance putting the English back on the gold standard with horrible consequences.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And just to make it interesting to Hitch - Quite a few of the bankers end up re-marrying women 30 years their senior
                                                                                  Last edited by Hectorjelly; 25-04-22, 10:05.

Comment

I absolutely love moebius and jodorowsky. Have you read the incal series of theirs (pretty sure i sent you the digital version years ago), and also the metabaron series by jodorowsky and gimenez?
                                                                                    Read The Incal book while recovering from the heart operation. That was a special book. Must track down Metabaron.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                      I just finished Lords of Finance, a must-read for anyone interested in the history of the financial system. It covers the prominent Central Bankers (& Keynes) from the end of WW1 up until WW2, it's really fascinating. Churchill pops up for a cameo appearance putting the English back on the gold standard with horrible consequences.

And just to make it interesting to Hitch - Quite a few of the bankers end up re-marrying women 30 years their senior
                                                                                      Do you mean their junior, i.e., 30 years younger than them?

My sister who works in an investment bank in 'The City' in London always found the trajectory of the top brass's marriages fascinating.

A huge percentage of them get married 3 times in identical fashion - marriage one to a childhood sweetheart or someone outside the banking game, marriage two to an equally ambitious peer in which they become a power couple, and marriage three to a bit of arm candy at least 20 years younger.
                                                                                      Marriage one tends to end amicably enough but still costs especially if kids involved, whilst Wife#2 makes sure to take them for every available penny. And #3 is clearly only there for an opulent lifestyle. So my sis has to listen to these people earning 7 figure sums but complaining about how impossibly stretched they are.
                                                                                      Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 25-04-22, 10:44.

Comment

Knew Macron's wife was significantly older than him but didn't realize she was old enough to be his mother. Fair play to the French. I think it would been seen as to icky here to allow success in the public arena.
                                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I knew this post would bring Denny out!
                                                                                          I did wonder was he specifically trolling me.

Comment

Knew Macron's wife was significantly older than him but didn't realize she was old enough to be his mother. Fair play to the French. I think it would been seen as to icky here to allow success in the pubic arena.
                                                                                            Definitely.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

My sister who works in an investment bank in 'The City' in London always found the trajectory of the top brass's marriages fascinating.

A huge percentage of them get married 3 times in identical fashion - marriage one to a childhood sweetheart or someone outside the banking game, marriage two to an equally ambitious peer in which they become a power couple, and marriage three to a bit of arm candy at least 20 years younger.
                                                                                              Marriage one tends to end amicably enough but still costs especially if kids involved, whilst Wife#2 makes sure to take them for every available penny. And #3 is clearly only there for an opulent lifestyle. So my sis has to listen to these people earning 7 figure sums but complaining about how impossibly stretched they are.
                                                                                              Junior yeah! Senior would be more surprising. You can console your sis with the fact the practice has a long history!

Comment

Jason Strassa makes good recommendations for books in that area.

Black Edge or the more benign "a man for all markets" might be up your street.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Pretty much covered in Mad men.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Pretty much covered in Mad men.
                                                                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                                                                      Sounds like a five star poo

Comment

Good article here about ordinary Russians and the war.

And another one here about the Navalny docu-film.

Comment

Read The Incal book while recovering from the heart operation. That was a special book. Must track down Metabaron.
                                                                                                          there's is also a prequel series to the incal called "before the incal" which is brilliant also if you haven't already read it

Comment

Knew Macron's wife was significantly older than him but didn't realize she was old enough to be his mother. Fair play to the French. I think it would been seen as to icky here to allow success in the public arena.
                                                                                                            IIRC, Macron's wife was his schoolteacher.

Comment

Vol 1 at least free with Amazon Prime through comixology

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Incal-Vol-B...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

EDIT: oops I see you read the Incal one already, the other one is covered under Kindle Unlimited sub if you have that:

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

the other one is covered under Kindle Unlimited sub if you have that:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weapons-Met...=UTF8&qid=&sr=
                                                                                                                no that's not the right series. the one i mentioned is this one

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...pao84au&rank=2

Comment

no that's not the right series. the one i mentioned is this one

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...pao84au&rank=2

Is that right? Kindle Unlimited is pretty good if you're reading a lot of the graphic stuff and don't mind consuming on a tablet.

Comment

Person delivering soil cut out the telephone wire. So now it's hanging off our roof, and hanging over the road. What do I do about that? We don't need the wire, but it's more that we seem to have created a hazard.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                                                      Any recommendations for places to stay in Vegas for myself & the wife. Anybody spot any deals online? She's never been before so thinking about staying somewhere on the strip.
                                                                                                                      We stayed in VDara, for the sole reason that it doesnt have a casino and we loved it. Mrs doesn't really gamble and wanted to stay in a casino-less hotel. She was happy with a book and cocktails in the lounge while I was off playing poker.

Its connected to Bellagio via a walkway direct from the hotel and the Aria is on the same complex so literally a 20 second walk from one door to another. Cosmopolitan is next door and we ate in a couple of nice restaurants there.

Easy access to that area of the strip from Bellagio too and pretty central all told.

Comment

I would vote for the Vdara too, though haven't been there since 2013! Great location and very nice rooms at the price point. That being said, I've started to enjoy downtown Vegas more and more in recent visits and would probably stay there again if I had the option in the future. Golden Nugget is a fine hotel for what it is, plus the steakhouse restaurant there ('??? & Anthony' I think?) is really good.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                                                          I stayed in the Wynn when on honeymoon.
                                                                                                                          I thought it was pretty class at the time, it masked the smell of smoke better than a lot of other places tbh.
                                                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X