Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the pent up United frustration spilling out i see.

I reckon if you dig up Cloughie he'd have these frauds watching their holes every 10 minutes . Gustavo was saying he cried when he lost a game. These fuckers go on twittar promising to do better next time now lets dance. The problems are not so endimic throughout the club thats a cop out. The manager needs to be the total governor and should be feared. I think Ten Haag will stir things up. One on eones with each player who doesnt bother his hole.

I agree about Rashford above . Hes now a zero trick phoney .
    I hope Liverpool are happy with a low scoring victory tomorrow. I'll be out of the country thank feck

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

Mr Fogpatches E/W
      Went with the Mullins fav and Ronald Punp e way

Comment

@sp, the makers clearly didn't have the balls to make the Boris character look like Boris (despite being described as a 'bumbling floppy-haired Old Etonian twat' multiple times in the book). Shame imo.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
          Mourinho did very well with united and called out everything that is wrong. They made him the problem. United are still a disaster.
          He was bang average. A spent force . Every bar stool pundit called out uniteds issues. Jose is all about Jose . Toxic manager now.

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

Mr Fogpatches E/W
            Frontal Assault e/w

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

He was bang average. A spent force . Every bar stool pundit called out uniteds issues. Jose is all about Jose . Toxic manager now.
              Mourinho had the chance to fix it. He wasn't backed. United were spent and toxic.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post

Mourinho had the chance to fix it. He wasn't backed. United were spent and toxic.
                I think you are right to say he wasn't fully backed but he didn't do very well. Two second-rate cups doesn't really do it for me.

Then again, maybe it's time to lower expectations.

Comment

I just Googled "What did Jesus do on Easter Monday". Not that I was looking for recommendations, I just didn't know. According to the Bible he didn't get up to much of interest that day. Sounds about right.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Frontal Assault e/w
                    I've backed Franco De Port & Ten Ten
                    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                        Watched Turning Red as the monthly family movie today. Good god its a tortured and painful analogy. I wouldn't wish those 90-minutes on a worst enemy. And we all had to sit their pretend-rapt as the 10-year-old shushed us and took life lessons. Only the six year old had the good sense to occasionally exclaim about what a load of horseshit the movie was.

It's a big step down from last months Home Alone 2 epic event.
                        I'd pretty much the opposite reaction. I found it a wonderful movie, my missus found it extremely relatable, particularly the fangirl elements and the inherent mortification that only a mother can bring and my daughter thought Mei was "awesome". There was plenty of 90's touchstones that transported me back to those heady days of xworkx and hair gel.
                        ​​​​​
                        There's a trend of cynicism here that I don't think was every expressed in other puberty allegory movies.

I think anyone that cannot relate to the main characters have never been, or indeed never known, a teenage girl.
                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Frontal Assault e/w
                          Ditto.
                          Better lay it so
                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

I think you are right to say he wasn't fully backed but he didn't do very well. Two second-rate cups doesn't really do it for me.

Really is time to, he won things. He did very well.

Comment

He wasn't backed .? Thats a myth. 11 players he bought look it up. 70m and 52m for 2 players that were utter shite .

Van Gaal won the FA cup and Jose weakened that side. He had lost it by the time united got him. Sure Ole was a penalty kick from winning the EL cup in a match the should have won.
                              if anything Jose brought in player unrest and it has been difficult to shake it. He left united and broke Spurs hearts for a while. His EGO was writing cheques his gob couldnt cash.

Laughable defending him in my view.

Comment

He wasn't backed .? Thats a myth. 11 players he bought look it up. 70m and 52m for 2 players that were utter shite .

Van Gaal won the FA cup and Jose weakened that side. He had lost it by the time united got him. Sure Ole was a penalty kick from winning the EL cup in a match the should have won.
                                if anything Jose brought in player unrest and it has been difficult to shake it. He left united and broke Spurs hearts for a while. His EGO was writing cheques his gob couldnt cash.

Laughable defending him in my view.
                                Wasn’t me who said he wasn’t backed. Said that maybe he wasn’t fully backed. Perhaps. Do you think he got the same crack of the whip as Ole did?

Comment

My unshakeable Mourinho opinion is that had he been given the job after Ferguson instead of Moyes, and 2/3 players of his choosing he would have won a title either that season or the following one.

as it was, by the time he came in there was too much rot in the squad. Still wasn’t given the backing he should have been and ultimately downed tools in response. He’s been the best of the rest since Ferguson, which to be fair isn’t a particularly high benchmark.
                                  Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Wasn’t me who said he wasn’t backed. Said that maybe he wasn’t fully backed. Perhaps. Do you think he got the same crack of the whip as Ole did?
                                    Ole got old boy leverage but the money was still coming in. I do think bringing back Ronaldo was a mistake despite his GS ability. Oles biggest problem was not getting in experienced coaching staff on his team. I never rated Phelan. Carrick has done nothing etc etc was galling at times .
                                    Too much old boy stuff. I was in the give Moyes time camp when he got fired prematurely. They need to clear the old boy decks and have a non nonsense team in there.

Contr would have been good. Neville spouting shite about him not being a united type of manager was comical.

Things are always exaggerated. Work on a definitive style of play, fill in the obvious gaps and punish the head droppers with the bench for a while . Defeat should be galling to players not a finger pointing exercise.
                                    Not rocket science . I think Tuchel is a great manager . Would take him.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                      My unshakeable Mourinho opinion is that had he been given the job after Ferguson instead of Moyes, and 2/3 players of his choosing he would have won a title either that season or the following one.

as it was, by the time he came in there was too much rot in the squad. Still wasn’t given the backing he should have been and ultimately downed tools in response. He’s been the best of the rest since Ferguson, which to be fair isn’t a particularly high benchmark.
                                      Moyes got ZERO time in comparison.

Comment

Moyes got ZERO time in comparison.
                                        Moyes shouldn’t have gotten a day.

he was sacked very early, but to fair I think it was clear at that point that mentality wise it was the wrong job for him.

Comment

What's with these morons singing at the GN?

Comment

Frontal Assault e/w
                                            Bah. Second after a lovely spin around.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

Moyes shouldn’t have gotten a day.

he was sacked very early, but to fair I think it was clear at that point that mentality wise it was the wrong job for him.
                                              I dont agree. Fergie set him up to fail. Canny frcker knew he scraped the 2013 title and the squad left was threadbare .
                                              every jack pundit says it takes time and yet dismissed Moyes after months. And here we are now West Ham nearing Euro glory and united even worse off than when Moyes left. Its not hindsight as i remember at the time thinking it was a populist joke to fire him without a fair crack then calling him a failure . If anything utd deserved the latter years as it wws clear upstairs were not making very shrewd decisions.

Comment

What's with these morons singing at the GN?
                                                Same lads that were booing horses and jockeys at Cheltenham. Most notably when Tiger Roll was beaten and Davy Russell had to go back and walk in with Jack and Delta Work so the crowd wouldn't boo them. An unfortunate consequence of the lad banter era but they buy tickets and drink a lot so organisers love them.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                  3 episodes in with Tokyo Vice. Brilliant so far. Hopefully it can sustain it.

Michael Mann and Tokyo neon. Sure what more could you ask for.
                                                  Brilliant, isn't it.
                                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I'd pretty much the opposite reaction. I found it a wonderful movie, my missus found it extremely relatable, particularly the fangirl elements and the inherent mortification that only a mother can bring and my daughter thought Mei was "awesome". There was plenty of 90's touchstones that transported me back to those heady days of xworkx and hair gel.
                                                    ​​​​​
                                                    There's a trend of cynicism here that I don't think was every expressed in other puberty allegory movies.

I think anyone that cannot relate to the main characters have never been, or indeed never known, a teenage girl.
                                                    I feel, if you sit down for an animated movie, it needs to give something to all the family. Encanto was a perfect example of that. Raya and the Last Dragon another recent example. Whereas Turning Red only spoke to one of the four of us, and had a very old idea of how mothers act. So it's grand for that standalone basis of speaking to one person in a typical audience of four, but these things are marketed as family movies.

Comment

Debating another night out in City West.
                                                      Played until 8AM ..but bolloxed now

Played the €150 turbo ..had an average stack at 1k 2k (2k ante)...loosish Chinese lad limps again and I isolate with A10 DD with a 6k raise. Flop is K92 (2 x Diamonds.)
                                                      He bets 7.5 into 17k ..I push for 30K .....he calla after about 5 seconds with.......10,Q (QD)...turn blank..river Q

Took a break and hit the Omaha ...€1900 profit ..happy days!

There was a 10, 20,40, 80 6 card Omaha game on drawing a crowd.
                                                      Chris Dowling in it.

Apparently some lad hopped in with 3k and span up to 35k in 4 hands according to our man on point the great Frank Hunt (who had a nice spin up himself earlier in our game).

Comment

Anyone been to Taverny France. Anything of note ?

3 days for work but wanna explore. Seems not a lot going on.

Comment

Jesus. I cant imagine the heartbreak of losing a newborn baby. RIP

Last edited by dobby; 18-04-22, 19:19.

Comment

Anyone been to Taverny France. Anything of note ?

3 days for work but wanna explore. Seems not a lot going on.
                                                            definitely not a lot going on. it's a nice part of the parisian outer suburbs but can't think of anywhere worth visiting.

Comment

I dont agree. Fergie set him up to fail. Canny frcker knew he scraped the 2013 title and the squad left was threadbare .
                                                              every jack pundit says it takes time and yet dismissed Moyes after months. And here we are now West Ham nearing Euro glory and united even worse off than when Moyes left. Its not hindsight as i remember at the time thinking it was a populist joke to fire him without a fair crack then calling him a failure . If anything utd deserved the latter years as it wws clear upstairs were not making very shrewd decisions.
                                                              I agree. If Solskjaer got 3 years delivering zero then Moyes deserved better. I've agreed with pretty much everything Iago said up to now but Moyes was the choice at the time with very few naysayers.

To say he was a bad choice thereafter is a serious case of hindsight-gone-wrong (In general, not directed at Iago). It would be interesting to see where we'd be if Moyes got 2-3 years but alas.

Must also remember that Moyes, whilst maybe announced earlier, only officially took charge on 1st July and had to scramble for transfers; only signing Fellaini i believe on deadline day.

Believe we did the same with LVG - but perhaps the WC had something to with that. Point, being, i hope if they appoint ten Haag that he will get to work asap on targets etc.

Other clubs seem to adapt far far better to change

Comment

10 hour trip back. Although we stopped in a cave along the way. A rather disappointing cave tbh - Crag Cave.

The eldest was going to sleep tonight and was saying - I *love* the way we get to stop everywhere along the way.

Thats was their 10 years of public-transporting has conditioned them too.

It was quite fun, in fairness. We got the initial morning buzz, walking around Tralee waiting for the car's first charge eating a big bag of sausages from the SuperValu counter. Wondering what the upcoming cave would be like. I waxed lyrically about the salt mines of Colombia I had once visited. As the actual cave became apparently a two-minute stroll where we barely went underground we commenced a decent few hours anticipation out of wondering what the Barack Obama Plaza would be like. This was broken by an hours recharging stop in Newcastle West Centra. Got a few comic books there. The youngest learned how to use a compass from the gifts in one of the comics. But our main thoughts were on what type of food would be fit for a president?

wow, they have deeply insulted Barack with that place.

But then again - Papa Johns is proper kid pizza. Horrific for adults mind you. It should be a crime to sell it to adults.

Don't eat dessert I screamed, there's an amazing dessert place at the next stop. Out to the car. As it turns out, and this was purely by chance, our last roadside stop was Junction 14 Mayfield. A glorious wonderland that didn't explicitly smell of Supermacs, with a Ginos, a play area. A fucking salad bar. Its a long way from the Barack Obama Plaza that the Mayfield was reared.

No wonder the kids were delighted. A bag of sausages to start, caves, comic books, pizza, and ice-cream. And all it took was 10 hours.

Comment

Manchester United is one of those subjects which is a vortex of rational thought, the closer you are to it the less you have. Raoul was right, with a very simple suggestion - Ronaldo was a bad purchase. (Goals are overrated anyway!). He didn't claim that it was the only problem with united, just one of them. And now the thread is clogged up with several pages of insane counterfactuals and more detailed lore than the old hack Tolkien would feel comfortable with dumping into the Silmarilion.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                    Manchester United is one of those subjects which is a vortex of rational thought, the closer you are to it the less you have. Raoul was right, with a very simple suggestion - Ronaldo was a bad purchase. (Goals are overrated anyway!). He didn't claim that it was the only problem with united, just one of them. And now the thread is clogged up with several pages of insane counterfactuals and more detailed lore than the old hack Tolkien would feel comfortable with dumping into the Silmarilion.
                                                                    You have a tendency for the dramatic. There is surprisingly litttle amount of footie talk on here considering the past few years. Raoul has a known Ronsldo fetish . Move on HJ , your mataphors are needed for Arsenal and the dramatic collapse.

Got through security in DA in 15 minutes . A NEW world record.

Comment

I had never heard of Shein up until a few weeks ago. They are now one of the biggest fast-fashion retailers in the world (100 billion valuation). The interesting thing about them though is that they are capturing market share in a completely different way from the competition and blowing them out of the water. They use technology to drive the business at its core in all areas such as leveraging AI/machine learning to follow microtrends and predict the production needed

How does it work?

Shein’s AI gets its product ideas from the search and social media behaviours of its target consumers.

These ideas pass directly to Shein’s internal designers, an 800-strong team who work continuously to produce clothing items based on the ideas as they come through. The finished designs are passed over to suppliers automatically through Shein’s central enterprise resource planning (ERP) system, ready to be manufactured and sold in limited numbers.

If the items are popular, the order volume for manufacturing increases, automatically and in real time, through the ERP.

This real-time model cuts the time from concept to finished product from three weeks to as little as three days.

While the idea of fast fashion is nothing new, this intuitive form of targeting and marketing definitely is.

In fact, in April 2021, data analytics firm Apptopia stated that:

“Shein is so far ahead of its direct competitors that it’s difficult to even compare them.”
                                                                      This is a pretty good look into them. Feels like the tip of the iceberg where China is most likely kicking the world's collective ass across so many sectors by leveraging all these new advancements quicker than the competition.

Comment

I just remembered the Stereophonics today. It is truly amazing how many awful bands the UK has produced in a relatively short period of time.

Comment

I feel, if you sit down for an animated movie, it needs to give something to all the family. Encanto was a perfect example of that. Raya and the Last Dragon another recent example. Whereas Turning Red only spoke to one of the four of us, and had a very old idea of how mothers act. So it's grand for that standalone basis of speaking to one person in a typical audience of four, but these things are marketed as family movies.
                                                                          That's a ridiculously simplistic view.
                                                                          From a parental viewpoint, opportunities to discuss puberty, honesty, conformity, relationships, friendship, authority, emotions are just some of the subjects we took out of this.
                                                                          Empathy is also a huge one. As is mindfulness.

Of course you can wrap it up in fun or even structure it in a way based on a cartoon boy band but to say there's nothing there for all the family feels like a wasted chance for all to grow.

Home alone 2 has a slightly different message, I'll admit.

Comment

I just remembered the Stereophonics today. It is truly amazing how many awful bands the UK has produced in a relatively short period of time.
                                                                            They had some crackers though.

Comment

Mr. Writer is a tune!
                                                                              Last edited by Opr; 19-04-22, 08:30.

Comment

Fast fashion is a disgusting blight on the environment and humanity. Gen Z's overexposure to a new landscape of advertising has completely distorted their reality.

We need more discussion around compulsive buying disorder.

1. “93% of brands surveyed by the Fashion Checker aren’t paying garment workers a living wage” (Fashion Checker, 2020)

2. “Clothing production is the third biggest manufacturing industry after the automotive and technology industries. Textile production contributes more to climate change than international aviation and shipping combined” (House of Common Environmental Audit Committee, 2019)

3. “More than $500 billion of value is lost every year due to clothing underutilization and the lack of recycling” (Ellen MacArthur Foundation, 2017)

4. “Fast fashion brands like Fashion Nova, Boohoo, Revolve, Pretty Little Thing and Forever 21 all score less than 10% on the Fashion Transparency Index” (Fashion Transparency Index, 2020)

5. “One in three young women, the biggest segment of consumers, consider garments worn once or twice to be old” (The Guardian, 2019)

6. “Fast fashion brands use open-loop production cycles that pollute water and land” (The New York Times, 2019)

7. “The fashion industry is responsible for 8% of carbon emissions” (UN Environment, 2019)

8. “The textile sector still represents 10 to 20 percent of pesticide use.” The State of Fashion, McKinsey, 2020)

9. “The average American throws away around 81 pounds of clothing yearly” (Saturday Evening Post, 2018)

10. “Emerging markets take the biggest hit from the industry of fast fashion” (Changing Markets, 2019)

11.“68% of fast fashion brands don’t maintain gender equality at production facilities” (Ethical Fashion Guide, 2019)

12. “The effort that fast fashion brands put into sustainable production measures is decreasing” (Global Fashion Agenda, 2019)

13. “Volume-based business models simply cannot become sustainable” (Los Angeles Times, 2019)

14. “Less than 11% of brands are implementing recycling strategies for their items” (Peppermint Magazine, 2019)

15. “It is estimated that around the world, about 107 billion units of apparel and 14.5 billion pairs of shoes were purchased in 2016” – (Common Objective, 2018)

16. “Three out of five fast fashion items end up in a landfill” (Clean Clothes Campaign, 2019)

17. “Worker rights of fast fashion employees are strongly violated” (Euronews, 2019)

18. “Washing, solvents, and dyes used in manufacturing are responsible for one-fifth of industrial water pollution” (McKinsey, 2020)

19. “Nearly 70 million barrels of oil are used each year to make the world’s polyester fiber, which is now the most commonly used fiber in our clothing. But it takes more than 200 years to decompose.” (Forbes, 2015)

20. Fashion accounts for 20 to 35 percent of microplastic flows into the ocean. The State of Fashion, McKinsey 2020

21. “63% of textile fibers are derived from petrochemicals” (Journal of Cleaner Production, 2018)

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                  I had never heard of Shein up until a few weeks ago. They are now one of the biggest fast-fashion retailers in the world (100 billion valuation). The interesting thing about them though is that they are capturing market share in a completely different way from the competition and blowing them out of the water. They use technology to drive the business at its core in all areas such as leveraging AI/machine learning to follow microtrends and predict the production needed

This is a pretty good look into them. Feels like the tip of the iceberg where they are most likely kicking the world's collective ass across so many sectors by leveraging all these new advancements quicker than the competition.
                                                                                  The real advancements they use is getting employees to work 75 hours a week for very low pay, and avoiding the tariffs that Trump put on China US trade.

Where the TikTok generation’s cheap clothes are made

"Shein has become a juggernaut thanks to a combination of supply-chain savvy, data-driven clothing design, and tax loopholes in the U.S. and China that came to the fore during the trade war."

They also don't publish any financials, so its hard to know if they are making money or not.

Comment

Those are hardly new competitive advantages through HJ. China has always been a low-cost base of production. It is the other areas that are now helping them completely wipe the floor with the competition. I do agree without that low cost of production that would not be possible but I mean it isn't like other fast-fashion retailers are producing products in an ethical way either. The reality is you can't at the kind of prices in this sector of the market. It does seem Chinese producers push this line further.

The other really interesting area that Wbm eludes to in his post is how they have almost gamified clothing to a generation. I had come across this (Guardian - Ultra-fast fashion is taking over – and using every trick in the book to get us addicted) when browsing this morning which is what prompted my original post. Apparently, they drop something like 700-1000 new styles daily!!
                                                                                    Last edited by Opr; 19-04-22, 08:55.

Comment

Popped back up to Citywest yesterday as a few faces had made the final table. Was fun to be on the opposite side of a final table and be able to enjoy it. Steve O'Dwyer absolutely crushed the final table his chip lead was insane.

Caught up with a few faces once again and got to go for a spin in a Tesla from a fellow IPBer. Those cars are insanely good, want one
                                                                                      "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

The real advancements they use is getting employees to work 75 hours a week for very low pay, and avoiding the tariffs that Trump put on China US trade.

Where the TikTok generation’s cheap clothes are made

"Shein has become a juggernaut thanks to a combination of supply-chain savvy, data-driven clothing design, and tax loopholes in the U.S. and China that came to the fore during the trade war."

They also don't publish any financials, so its hard to know if they are making money or not.
                                                                                        Thats a silly take. China are moving so far up the production chain so quickly its scary. We shouldn't be surprised by this, its exactly what Japan, South Korea did. The key isn't the working hours - which are the same whether they are producing shoes for Nike, or clothes for Shein. Its their use of algorithms to 'solve' the issue of what kids want to wear. That's what unifies TikTok, Shein, its their use of intelligence to predict wants and desires. Thats also what is destroying competitors. We've also only seen the beginning of this, its going to become apparent very quickly across so many different sectors. We'll see gaming, possibly music, falling next. Cars probably. Maybe even financial services. AntPay is ridiculously advanced compared to our best Western offerings.

Those 'tax loopholes' aka - tax regulations - are designed to allow US customers to buy cheap clothes. They are not loopholes, but there by design.

But the main thing is, we need to become massively smarter. We're still stuck in comfortable ruts for how business has always been done - that imperfect matching of customer demand with company supply. We need to work on bridging that a lot quicker.

My fav example of this is how the Western media trumpeted Amazon having one or two till-less shops. A basic technology that the likes of South Korea has been using for a decade. We are so far behind. We've allowed ourselves to be tied to a few behemoths that are intent on creating monopolies, rather than fostering competition - and therefore competitive progress. This is going to destroy us long-term.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                          Those are hardly new competitive advantages through HJ. China has always been a low-cost base of production. It is the other areas that are now helping them completely wipe the floor with the competition. I do agree without that low cost of production that would not be possible but I mean it isn't like other fast-fashion retailers are producing products in an ethical way either. The reality is you can't at the kind of prices in this sector of the market. It does seem Chinese producers push this line further.

The other really interesting area that Wbm eludes to in his post is how they have almost gamified clothing to a generation. I had come across this (Guardian - Ultra-fast fashion is taking over – and using every trick in the book to get us addicted) when browsing this morning which is what prompted my original post. Apparently, they drop something like 700-1000 new styles daily!!

We don't know if they are actually making any money. If you put a lot of money into marketing and make your product much cheaper than your competitors you will create a lot of revenue - there's nothing magical about that. For all we know they lose money on every piece of clothing they produce, which wouldn't be unusual for a VC backed private company focused on growth. They pushed back their planned IPO this year which isn't a great look.

WISH is a similar company which had the same sort of vibe about them and similar business strategy, they are public though so you can tell how much money they are losing, the stock is down 41% this year.

Comment

We don't know if they are actually making any money. If you put a lot of money into marketing and make your product much cheaper than your competitors you will create a lot of revenue - there's nothing magical about that. For all we know they lose money on every piece of clothing they produce, which wouldn't be unusual for a VC backed private company focused on growth. They pushed back their planned IPO this year which isn't a great look.

WISH is a similar company which had the same sort of vibe about them and similar business strategy, they are public though so you can tell how much money they are losing, the stock is down 41% this year.

Thats not the sales point though - its kids telling and showing other kids their new clothes. Its fashion-led growth, not price-led growth.

Comment

Up to 560k on this bad boy against the same person https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...blin-7/4542892
                                                                                              Trying to figure out at what price it isn't worth it now.

Comment

Those 'tax loopholes' aka - tax regulations - are designed to allow US customers to buy cheap clothes. They are not loopholes, but there by design.

From the bloomberg article -

"In 2018, as trade relations between the world’s two biggest economies were deteriorating, China responded to a new round of U.S. tariffs by effectively waiving export taxes for direct-to-consumer companies. Because Shein ships most orders from its warehouses in China, it was already in a good position in the U.S., where packages worth less than $800 have been able to enter the country duty-free since 2016. When the Trump administration later imposed tariffs to make Chinese products more expensive, the small-value shipments remained exempt."

This is basically the dictionary definition of a loophole

Its their use of algorithms to 'solve' the issue of what kids want to wear.
                                                                                                Did you read this in the daily mail?

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                  Fast fashion is a disgusting blight on the environment and humanity. Gen Z's overexposure to a new landscape of advertising has completely distorted their reality.

We need more discussion around compulsive buying disorder.

People really balk at something that costs 2 or 3 times as much not really thinking about how it lasts 10 times as long, but also people can be pretty poor so then Vimes comes into it:

“The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.”

Guy that sat beside me in work said his boots always fall apart after a few months, and what kind were mine since they lasted ages (I have them 10 years now), I showed him, and they aren't even that dear for boots, like 120 or something, but he was like no way and went back to his 40 euro boots over and over. He is also a millionaire.

I know a lot of girls addicted to fast fashion, it's crazy. Even eco conscious ones, it's often their vice.
                                                                                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 19-04-22, 10:43.

Comment

Finished watching The After Party the other day and it was a fun little watch.

"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

From the bloomberg article -

"In 2018, as trade relations between the world’s two biggest economies were deteriorating, China responded to a new round of U.S. tariffs by effectively waiving export taxes for direct-to-consumer companies. Because Shein ships most orders from its warehouses in China, it was already in a good position in the U.S., where packages worth less than $800 have been able to enter the country duty-free since 2016. When the Trump administration later imposed tariffs to make Chinese products more expensive, the small-value shipments remained exempt."

This is basically the dictionary definition of a loophole

Did you read this in the daily mail?
                                                                                                      Show me the dictionary you are reading, that says an explicit tax exemption counts as a 'loophole'?

Re the bolded. See it in the school behaviour of the kids, which seems to be a microcosm of the Shein growth.

Comment

Its their use of algorithms to 'solve' the issue of what kids want to wear. That's what unifies TikTok, Shein, its their use of intelligence to predict wants and desires. Thats also what is destroying competitors. We've also only seen the beginning of this, its going to become apparent very quickly across so many different sectors. We'll see gaming, possibly music, falling next. Cars probably…
                                                                                                        They’d are producing thousands of items, low cost and low quality. Then tracking what people look at, clicks, add to cart, etc. They ramping up production in real time to match that. They track an insane amount of data. Spy on social media etc. The clothes are almost disposable.
                                                                                                        Its a pretty advanced way to track demand and link to supply. But I dont think they are predicting and solving as much as you suggest. It’s literally producing enough shit to ensure some of it sticks.

The Tiktok parallel is apt. But Tiktok showing you content from an inventory on billions of videos.
                                                                                                        That model simply doesn’t translate to music and gaming. As it would mean flooding the market with thousands of poor songs and hoping that people buy find something they like.

Shein-esque cars would basically producing hundreds of variations low quality cars cheaply. That’s been happening for years. But there’s a reason we’re not all driving Chinese cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

I know a lot of girls addicted to fast fashion, it's crazy. Even eco conscious ones, it's often their vice.
                                                                                                          I think it's mostly it's the same group that are eco that are into fast fashion. It's just a big part of that age group

Comment

Up to 560k on this bad boy against the same person https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...blin-7/4542892
                                                                                                            place looks lovely, but the tiny size of those windows and lack of them in numbers would put me off. if it's not bright sunshine, you'll have the lights on permanently i'd imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                              They’d are producing thousands of items, low cost and low quality. Then tracking what people look at, clicks, add to cart, etc. They ramping up production in real time to match that. They track an insane amount of data. Spy on social media etc. The clothes are almost disposable.
                                                                                                              Its a pretty advanced way to track demand and link to supply. But I dont think they are predicting and solving as much as you suggest. It’s literally producing enough shit to ensure some of it sticks.

The Tiktok parallel is apt. But Tiktok showing you content from an inventory on billions of videos.
                                                                                                              That model simply doesn’t translate to music and gaming. As it would mean flooding the market with thousands of poor songs and hoping that people buy find something they like.

Shein-esque cars would basically producing hundreds of variations low quality cars cheaply. That’s been happening for years. But there’s a reason we’re not all driving Chinese cars.
                                                                                                              They're excellent quality. I think that's the main parent selling point. Your standard Penneys or H&M clothes fall to pieces after a few washes, but we've Shein stuff from a year ago that still looks brand new.

Re the second bolded point "But I dont think they are predicting and solving as much as you suggest" - using loads of data to identify new trends is about the best of where its at in terms of machine learning algorithms.

Re the third bolded point. We will almost certainly be driving vast quantities more Chinese cars in the future. Its just not yet advanced enough, hence why they are initially concentrating on developing markets with similar safety standards. But they are inevitably going to go after the big Western bucks in due course.

Comment

I assume you'd be renting out the other 3 rooms to Brazilian vegans? Easy 4k/month there...
                                                                                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I question the assumption in this story that the bozo in question would have understood the complete range of international number plates.

The couple said they were surprised to be stolen from, as there were Ukrainian plates on the car and “the whole world knows about Ukraine.”

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

place looks lovely, but the tiny size of those windows and lack of them in numbers would put me off. if it's not bright sunshine, you'll have the lights on permanently i'd imagine.
                                                                                                                    Yeah, right on the money, the living area is dark, estate agent agreed when I mentioned it. Rest of the place was grand. Not much choice available though so it's fine if I can find some "natural" kind of lights. Main problem is if the price keeps going up though!

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                                                      Popped back up to Citywest yesterday as a few faces had made the final table. Was fun to be on the opposite side of a final table and be able to enjoy it. Steve O'Dwyer absolutely crushed the final table his chip lead was insane.

Caught up with a few faces once again and got to go for a spin in a Tesla from a fellow IPBer. Those cars are insanely good, want one
                                                                                                                      Yep, I spent last Friday cruising around Wicklow and Dublin in the same one. Highlight was getting to play Mario kart while it charged lol.

Everything just so easy about them, still not enough to convince me to go electric just yet though.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

I assume you'd be renting out the other 3 rooms to Brazilian vegans? Easy 4k/month there...
                                                                                                                        Nah, just myself and I'd move gf in on m8's rates
                                                                                                                        That's the issue with the place, other guy wants to buy it just to rent it all out.

Comment

A guardian article from today (which I didn't write) but supports my thesis from yesterday

It is a mark of what a sorrowful environment Manchester United has become, a place of mournful noises, clanking chains, shouts through the wall, that the only idea to have met with near-unanimous approval in the past few months was the prospect of bulldozing Old Trafford into the ground and starting over.

There are at least some notes of comfort before the Premier League meeting with Liverpool on Tuesday night. First, the game is at Anfield, where United players being jeered by the crowd represents a return to everyday normality. And second, there has been something comforting of late in the public statements of Ralf Rangnick, whose time as interim manager has evolved into a kind of soft-pedalled trauma therapy.

Manchester United’s Ralf Rangnick unhappy with timing of Chelsea fixture

Read more
                                                                                                                          It was always far-fetched to imagine Rangnick could impose a mid-season reboot on this mix-and-match squad. He has settled instead for being the only grown-up in the room, the best response a kind of priestly bedside manner, like the kindly platoon sergeant who holds your hand on the battlefield stretcher and tells you you’re going to be just fine, even as a medical orderly plunges 18 phials of morphine into your upper thigh.

The meeting with Liverpool will pique Rangnick’s curiosity in other ways. There is plenty of straightforward jeopardy here. United have a chance to make a dent in Liverpool’s chances of winning the league. Liverpool can put a stake through the heart of United’s hopes of taking fourth place, cueing up another season of stasis.

But the most significant subplot is the sense of contrast, and of mimesis. Liverpool are in many senses where United hope to be. The likely hire of Erik ten Hag is an attempt to follow the Jürgen Klopp template for success. Six years ago Klopp had achieved a similar level of success at a similarly placed club. He had the same sense of settled methods and achievable recruitment needs. Ten Hag is an attempt to follow that path. It makes sense, or at least – and this is a low bar – as much sense as anything United have tried to do in recent memory.
                                                                                                                          The hope is Erik ten Hag will have the sort of success at United that Jürgen Klopp has had at Liverpool. Photograph: BSR Agency/Getty Images
                                                                                                                          Beyond this there is the question of style, and above all of “physicality”, an area where Liverpool have been market leaders in the past few years. This has been a common theme of Rangnick’s public musings. “We were second best with regards to physicality,” he said after the draw at Leicester this month. “You cannot win games only in a technical way, you also have to show physicality,” was his verdict on the draw with Southampton in February. “It was not a problem of formation, but of energy and of intensity,” he announced in December after the draw with Newcastle.

What does Rangnick mean by this? The most obvious take, the Roy Keane dynamic, is to see a lack of physical pressure as cowardice in the trenches, character-flaw, hairstyle-obsession, Instagram debauchery. Towards the end of the Premier League defeats by Liverpool and Manchester City there was a kangaroo-court element to the TV punditry panels of ex-United players, a kind of sensual delight in declaring here is a team that can be saved only by simple acts of effort, violence, morally redemptive fouling.

There is a reason Rangnick speaks about this in a more considered way. That “physicality” is a tactical thing too, bound up in the changing nature of elite football. At clubs like Liverpool and Manchester City physical relentlessness has become a necessity, an element in recruitment decisions, and a non-negotiable baseline alongside all the technical qualities.

The idea football has become less physical rests on that fixation with bangs and booms and crashes. In a Klopp or a Pep Guardiola team physicality refers also to the kind of drilled passing and movement that exhausts and degrades an opponent. Pressing, moving, passing, pressing some more: all of these are acts of violence. What was exposed in those United defeats wasn’t moral decadence, but an inability to sustain that intensity, physically and tactically.

Perhaps the best way of registering this altered physicality is via the change in what tackling signifies, also the keenest measure of Guardiola’s influence. Twenty years ago the best teams made the most tackles. The top two tacklers in the league were Arsenal and Manchester United. Fast forward to Guardiola’s first season at City and this was still the case: five of the top six also ended up in the top 10 tacklers.

The following year this trend was simply dynamited out of existence. City racked up 100 points and won the league by a mile, while also finishing 18th on the tackle table. It is now a total inversion: the better you are the fewer tackles you make. Currently City, Liverpool, Arsenal, West Ham and Chelsea are the bottom five in tackles made. Liverpool are 88th for tackles in Europe’s top five leagues. City, spectacularly, are 98th (ie, last).

This is modern physicality: keep the ball, steal the ball, press the ball, move constantly. “What is tackles?” Guardiola famously asked. Tackles are how you know you’re losing, that control has been lost, that you’re leaving a gap for the counter thrust.

Manchester United set to confirm Erik ten Hag as new manager in coming days

Read more
                                                                                                                          Collisions and duels are still vital. Liverpool pressed hard from the front like their old selves at Wembley on Saturday. But really the idea is to work and run together, and it is in these joined-up qualities that United also fall short. Here we have a goalkeeper who stays on his line, partnered with a slow, low central defence, creating a familiar stodge in deep areas. The central midfield is poor at forward passing, a disastrous blockage in a team where the attack (which stays upfield) is your real strength. As for pressing high, well, we do have this one guy who’s very good at finishing ...

By contrast the fit between Liverpool’s style and personnel provides heat not friction. A high defensive line works when you have speed and positional brilliance in central defence. Let the full-backs rampage: we have powerful workaholic midfielders. And at least two of that front three have to be ready to press hard all game.

This is not to say United lack the quality to stretch opponents who have much more riding on this game. This will be Liverpool’s sixth game in 17 days, two more than United, with travel and big-match adrenaline chucked in. But as Rangnick himself has suggested, such is the difference right now in basic intensity, just pressing that throttle for long enough could make the difference.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X