Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watching Reacher on Amazon Prime and its a whole lot of fun. The books are boring as fuck, but they've picked a great cast, set the tone ever so slightly light.
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I thought 'that' play was...pretty good.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
        The logical conclusion of what those arguing against the point Hitch has been making about minimising the amount of casualties must be that we go to war with Russia.

Is that really what people want?
        Where would you draw the line ? How far can we let him push ? If the West suspect strongly he wont stop at Ukraine and after he massacres a lot of people. Whats next ? Imo moves are already afoot . Ideally he gets a knife in the neck at dinner .

Comment

You've just got a better palette man. That's why I'm enjoying Jack Reacher while you are appreciating the finer arts.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

He clearly did no unbiased research at all, if you google starlink on youtube you will find many happy customers, quite a lot of them in Ireland.

"Last spring, when the product was still in its beta-test phase, some users found that trees on the horizon, sometimes even a single tree, could disrupt the signal. "

Does that sound likely to you? No. Because it's nonsense.
            I wonder if he realises that the horizon is 5km away. He’d barely be see the tree.

Comment

The logical conclusion of what those arguing against the point Hitch has been making about minimising the amount of casualties must be that we go to war with Russia.

That would be the opposite view taken to the utmost extreme conclusion. Which isn’t the same as a logical
              conclusion.

Comment

Remember please that the only thing that can stave off the existential angst incurred by pondering the upcoming nuclear armageddon is by sticking it to your fellow man in the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp.

Less than two weeks until the tapes fly back and a healthy pot is already building. Although at this rate, even if you scoop all the loot, it'll merely buy you a mugful of diesel for the car. Although the glory is priceless.

Comment

Navalny calling for Russians to hit the streets. I wonder if this will have any impact...

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

The author is a woman
                    he’s sent a handful of terminals, it’s a war zone now not the leafy suburbs where all the YouTube reviewer fanboys live.

countdown to musk calling the Red Cross paedos is on

i guess the verge hate musk too-their review certainly doesn’t paint a picture of something that will be useful in a war zone, they also mention the single tree blocking line of site issue

Starlink’s website makes all of this crystal clear. “If any object such as a tree, chimney, pole, etc. interrupts the path of the beam, even briefly, your internet service will be interrupted,” says Starlink. “The best guidance we can give is to install your Starlink at the highest elevation possible where it is safe to do so, with a clear view of the sky. Users who live in areas with lots of tall trees, buildings, etc. may not be good candidates for early use of Starlink.”

https://www.theverge.com/22435030/st...-spacex-review
                    There's a big difference between a tree blocking the satellite, and a tree on the horizon. Most people understand that satellites need a clear view of the sky.

Comment

Although the Russian Gestapo are now arresting children:

Comment

I don't see how this is the case. The cold war was basically a litany of both sides arming proxies to either fight the other side, or the other side's allies, Afghanistan, Vietnam, a couple of smaller ones in Africa. None of those conflicts ended up with the US fighting Russia directly. Why is this materially different?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                          Remember please that the only thing that can stave off the existential angst incurred by pondering the upcoming nuclear armageddon is by sticking it to your fellow man in the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp.

Less than two weeks until the tapes fly back and a healthy pot is already building. Although at this rate, even if you scoop all the loot, it'll merely buy you a mugful of diesel for the car. Although the glory is priceless.
                          If I win again I will take the 2nd place finisher out to lunch in Shanahans.
                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Navalny calling for Russians to hit the streets. I wonder if this will have any impact...

I thought he was in prison?

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

If I win again I will take the 2nd place finisher out to lunch in Shanahans.
                              If I win I'll take everyone who has ever posted on the site out to lunch in Shanahans.

Comment

If I win I'll take Shanahans out to The Bar With No Name this Friday at 7pm to meet the top IPBers.

Comment

I was feeling so shite yesterday. Just awfully down. Then last night I set the alarm for eight and a half hours sleep and now feel like I'm on top of the world and could invade a small country (to improve their lives). Was it just that simple? sleep, ffs.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

I thought he was in prison?
                                    He's obviously got a phone.

Comment

If I win I'll take everyone who has ever posted on the site out to lunch in Shanahans.
                                      Free competition entry granted to 6starpool

Comment

Eurovision sorted
                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

He will dance around the bullets.
                                          Old clips of Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy performing as a contestant on the country's version of "Strictly Come Dancing: Dancing with the Stars" is leaving the internet gobsmacked by his dance skills.

Comment

Free competition entry granted to 6starpool
                                            I could enter it 50 times and I'd still lose due to barely knowing one end of a horse from another. That's about my general level of interest in Cheltenham.

Comment

I could enter it 50 times and I'd still lose due to barely knowing one end of a horse from another. That's about my general level of interest in Cheltenham.
                                              You're probably just about fav now.
                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I could enter it 50 times and I'd still lose due to barely knowing one end of a horse from another.
                                                It hasn't stopped most of our previous winners.

Comment

A colleague of mine just went home and tested positive for Covid. He previously had it at the end of November so only 3 months between infections. He's partially vaccinated as the first infection overlapped quite close with his first jab and the HSE said he couldn't get another jab for at least 6 months post-infection. Not sure what to make of it but there's no sign of Covid or new variants disappearing any time soon.

Comment

Business gas Medium business user = nearly 8x from last year (Dec 20)
                                                    Small business user= x4
                                                    Electricity = x3

A few companies not taking on any new contracts but that has been happening a lot over the past 4/5 months. Suspend selling for a few days then back on.

Highest electricity price for business Ive seen is with SSE @ 50c per unit. Was approx 15c last year.

Mental

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                      I was feeling so shite yesterday. Just awfully down. Then last night I set the alarm for eight and a half hours sleep and now feel like I'm on top of the world and could invade a small country (to improve their lives). Was it just that simple? sleep, ffs.
                                                      I enjoy a good joke but as you were writing that was there no part of your highly intelligent brain that made you think " hold on, That actually makes me sound like an awful prick"

Comment

It hasn't stopped most of our previous winners.
                                                        How about this: Dom gets a free entry makes his selections within the rules and if he wins he brings the runner up and the organiser to Shanahans

Comment

How about this: Dom gets a free entry makes his selections within the rules and if he wins he brings the runner up and the organiser to Shanahans
                                                          I can't hear you, you have to speak up.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                            A colleague of mine just went home and tested positive for Covid. He previously had it at the end of November so only 3 months between infections. He's partially vaccinated as the first infection overlapped quite close with his first jab and the HSE said he couldn't get another jab for at least 6 months post-infection. Not sure what to make of it but there's no sign of Covid or new variants disappearing any time soon.
                                                            Daughter who tested positive weekend before last was much sicker than most appear to have been from it recently and is only now starting to feel a bit better after ten days.

Comment

Give me free entry and if i win I'll bring the last place loser to Eddie Rockets sth Ann Street for a Tiger Beer and an M50 burger.

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post

I enjoy a good joke but as you were writing that was there no part of your highly intelligent brain that made you think " hold on, That actually makes me sound like an awful prick"
                                                                oh jaysus, lighten up.

Comment

This is the club that has Russia in it now. Per the UN vote condemning their invasion of Ukraine.
                                                                  1. Russia
                                                                  2. Belarus
                                                                  3. Syria
                                                                  4. Eritrea
                                                                  5. North Korea
                                                                  Literally the worst countries in the world.

Comment

oh jaysus, lighten up.
                                                                    From anyone else I would have laughed but you are quoting people here having a go at you. You take offence at suggestions you are trolling so I was just wondering did it not enter your head to use any other phrase to describe being on top of the world ?

Comment

This is the club that has Russia in it now. Per the UN vote condemning their invasion of Ukraine.
                                                                      1. Russia
                                                                      2. Belarus
                                                                      3. Syria
                                                                      4. Eritrea
                                                                      5. North Korea
                                                                      Not quite, can think of some other countries from Asia, Africa and South America that would head those. No argument with N. Korea though
                                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

1. Russia
                                                                        2. Belarus
                                                                        3. Syria
                                                                        4. Eritrea
                                                                        5. North Korea
                                                                        Why is Kazakhstan not there? I thought those were deeply joined together countries.

Comment

Why is Kazakhstan not there? I thought those were deeply joined together countries.
                                                                          They abstained

Comment

The brits missing from that list
                                                                            the queen will be miffed at that
                                                                            they should be no 1 on all lists
                                                                            good and bad, how the mighty empire has fallen

Comment

Comment

I've been to three of the countries that abstained, and am planning a trip to a fourth at the moment!

Comment

I've been to three of the countries that abstained, and am planning a trip to a fourth at the moment!
                                                                                  Cuba, China, India, South Africa?

Comment

That's how big a pariah Russia is. Even their vassal state couldn't bring themselves to go all-in.

Comment

Lazare Happy Ash Wednesday m8. Have a good one.

Actually had to do a double take and think why the fuck people had dirt on their foreheads in Dublin today. It seems insane to me that people still go out and get that done. Always a good way to spot the mentally challenged among us I guess. And they looked feckin ridiculous too.

Comment

to be fair half of the countries who abstain are regular tourism spots for a lot of people. i've been to 4 and would love to go to at least 6 or 7 more

Comment

This (slightly dramatic, US penned) article gives a decent insight into how things could potentially play out for global supply chains over the next 10/20/30 years which effects everything from food to fashion and everything else in between and how ultimately we'll all pay for it

SPOILER

The second Cold War is here — and supply chains will be the front lines

Entire supply chains will be rewritten, creating massive volatility and unpredictability

Wednesday, March 2, 2022
                                                                                          2 minutes read

We are witnessing the remaking of the world order in front of our eyes — and this will impact global supply chains in unforeseen ways.

We are about to experience the most dramatic and unpredictable supply chain map we’ve experienced since World War II.

If the Russia-Ukraine conflict’s international ramifications keep spreading, we face a real possibility of a bifurcating global economy, in which geopolitical alliances, energy and food flows, currency systems, and trade lanes could split.

During the first Cold War, the world was anything but flat. There were two worlds — the East and the West. That world is being recreated as we speak, and with it, Western companies will start to shift sourcing away from the East and more toward Western and neutral states. North American economic integration will become a new priority. Surface transportation across the Eurasian continent will become more complex, and possibly contested.

Entire supply chains will be rewritten, with new sources and partners — all in the interest of corporate and national security. This will create massive volatility and unpredictability.

Companies will prioritize vendors that can provide consistent and dependable supplies, likely paying a premium. In the end, those costs will be passed on to consumers in the form of higher prices.

While prices will become an important consideration for consumers, brands that offer a consistently and predictably available set of choices will enjoy pricing power.

The future market winners will be the corporations that make the investments in supply chain infrastructure and reliable, Western-friendly production locations.

Supply chain analyst roles will become the hottest jobs of the next decade, prized by corporations, consulting and even Wall Street for the ability to interpret, analyze and predict disruptions and risks in a new world order. Those same analysts will find themselves recruited heavily by national security, intelligence and defense organizations — as future conflicts will largely rise out of a desire to control materials and production.

New investments in supply chain technologies and automation will be accelerated, as will preference for near-shoring and domestic sourcing.

Historical data models, based on following freight market trends, will become less relevant in the future. Companies with dynamic supply chains will require fresh data and forecasting that is constantly updated as new information and datasets become available.

The Ukraine crisis is perhaps the end of the preamble to a long history of geopolitical, economic and military conflict between the East and West in the second Cold War. Now the plot is thickening. State actors like Russia and China are choosing regional hegemony over global integration — we will see this play out further in the Baltics and the South China Sea, not to mention the Middle East and the greater Pacific.

World Trade Organization-led globalization took decades but accelerated when China entered in 2000. Global decoupling — if it comes to that —and tighter regional socioeconomic integration will also take decades, and the pace of change will vary, sometimes fast and sometimes imperceptibly.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                            Lazare Happy Ash Wednesday m8. Have a good one.

Actually had to do a double take and think why the fuck people had dirt on their foreheads in Dublin today. It seems insane to me that people still go out and get that done. Always a good way to spot the mentally challenged among us I guess. And they looked feckin ridiculous too.
                                                                                            Ah now, that's not very nice. Those people aren't hurting you or anyone else. The vast majority of them are probably elderly and faith/religion are ingrained in them.

Comment

The fascists just kicked out the US ambassador. I don't think (subject to correction) that step was ever taken before, even at the tensest moments of the Cold War.

Comment

Cuba, China, India, South Africa?
                                                                                                Cuba (awful), Pakistan (Great), Vietnam (excellent). Hopefully going to Bangalore in April if Putin doesn't start firing off nukes.

Comment

I'm at 15

Comment

Is Myanmar a misclick 'Approve' or have even the Generals deserted him

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Ah now, that's not very nice. Those people aren't hurting you or anyone else. The vast majority of them are probably elderly and faith/religion are ingrained in them.
                                                                                                      We'll soon have to have our posts read through by lawyers before posting anything here. ​​​​​​

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 02-03-22, 19:32.

Comment

Ivana being the new Labour leader would surely be the death of Labour. How could they possibly claim to be in touch with Labour roots, with a TD from the richest electoral district in Ireland, who teaches in Trinity, and 'sounds' rich.

The best they could hope for is to pick up a few SD seats, but only by losing that core focus.

Comment

And every one of them ridiculous looking mentally challenged weirdos.

Comment

We'll soon have to have our posts read through by lawyers before posting anything here. ​​​​​​
                                                                                                            Still a needless insult on our mammies . Intolerance ftw eh

Comment

Are we not allowed disagree with eachother's opinions on a forum anymore?

Comment

And every one of them ridiculous looking mentally challenged weirdos.
                                                                                                                Jaysus i hope you're trolling. I'd guess at least some of all our parents/grandparents were religious in some way and took the ash (probably not the correct phrase). Think whatever your views on religion you are being over the top. Yeah, but maybe trolling which is fine.

Comment

Jaysus i hope you're trolling. I'd guess at least some of all our parents/grandparents were religious in some way and took the ash (probably not the correct phrase). Think whatever your views on religion you are being over the top. Yeah, but maybe trolling which is fine.
                                                                                                                  Yeah, the 2nd comment was intentionally OTT childish.

Thankfully my parents didnt buy into any of that nonsense and never took us or forced us to go to mass. And I'm certain if I didn't need to be baptised for school entry, they wouldnt have bothered.

But these days, especially in this country where religion has been at the centre of numerous scandals from abuse to covering up dead babies, it's only the mentally challenged that still partake in these rituals. There just has to be something wrong with them.

Comment

The fascists just kicked out the US ambassador. I don't think (subject to correction) that step was ever taken before, even at the tensest moments of the Cold War.
                                                                                                                    hmm, fake news apparently. Thought it sounded extreme, even in this extremity.

Comment

Ivana being the new Labour leader would surely be the death of Labour. How could they possibly claim to be in touch with Labour roots, with a TD from the richest electoral district in Ireland, who teaches in Trinity, and 'sounds' rich.

The best they could hope for is to pick up a few SD seats, but only by losing that core focus.
                                                                                                                      Lol, if you'd asked me this morning who the leader of the Labour Party was I would have only got Kelly as about my 5th choice in a multiple choice quiz. Maybe I mostly remember Bacik from when she was the SU president in Trinity, but I wouldn't consider the Mary Robinson comparisons a negative at all nationally.
                                                                                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Blinken misquoting Groucho is unforgivable.

Comment

Yeah, the 2nd comment was intentionally OTT childish.

Thankfully my parents didnt buy into any of that nonsense and never took us or forced us to go to mass. And I'm certain if I didn't need to be baptised for school entry, they wouldnt have bothered.

But these days, especially in this country where religion has been at the centre of numerous scandals from abuse to covering up dead babies, it's only the mentally challenged that still partake in these rituals. There just has to be something wrong with them.
                                                                                                                          Not sure, i think that's still a rather narrowed minded view. Some people legitimately use religion as a social outlet. People often who are elderly and maybe isolated. They join the choir, give out the communion, open and close the church, fundraise and just generally volunteer. Yeah, maybe they should open their eyes and see how much their religion has harmed so many over the years, maybe it's narrow-mindedness on their part too but it is what it is.

Others use it when they are sick or otherwise ill. I'm not sure who we are to judge if it gives them some comfort even if this comfort isn't coming from some higher power.

Point i'm making is that religion has some good points but perhaps not in the "religion" sense.

As a disclaimer, i'm not really one bit religious. Only time i set foot in a church is for a baptism, funeral, anniversary etc.

And hey, maybe i'm being slightly narrow minded too cause i've never been personally affected by the bad things religion has done really so i might have a different view if i was.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X