X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oleras View Post
    The country, isnt it ice in the shop ?
    You could have been buying water in the shop called Iceland. Given the post you quoted was about shops selling tap water it could have been.

Comment

I doubt theres an Iceland store anywhere near oleras. Also no dude in an Iceland store will ever say ''no one in Iceland buys bottled water''.

Comment

Think Liverpool deserve to go in with the lead. Spurs should have had one at the other end so they probably evened out but the one where the Ref warns Vertonghen it will be a penalty if you do that again as he makes Liverpool take the corner again after last weeks decisions is infuriating. I must say I am finding it hard to watch the helter shelter nature of football under Klopp. I feel dizzy after that half it is like watching a game of basketball!

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
          I doubt theres an Iceland store anywhere near oleras. Also no dude in an Iceland store will ever say ''no one in Iceland buys bottled water''.
          May well be one in Limerick, and he could have been in Dublin or England either.

Why would shops in Iceland the country have bottled water if no one bought it? Seems silly. I doubt many shops in Ireland stock rotten shark fin, the Icelandic delicacy, as no one would buy it. Dude in the shop should have minded his own business. I never drink water in hotels anywhere unless I am parched and have no bottled water

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
            Think Liverpool deserve to go in with the lead. Spurs should have had one at the other end so they probably evened out but the one where the Ref warns Vertonghen it will be a penalty if you do that again as he makes Liverpool take the corner again after last weeks decisions is infuriating. I must say I am finding it hard to watch the helter shelter nature of football under Klopp. I feel dizzy after that half it is like watching a game of basketball!

Opr
            It won't be boring, that's for sure. There will be goals in this second half I'd say, hopefully we can get to full time ahead, but I don't expect it to be 0-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
              Maybe its the small country thing, but there's far too much assuming the worst motives in people in Ireland. Especially if they're from a different background to you. The vast vast majority of people are nice and just trying to get by.
              Nah there's about the right amount of assuming the worst about people in Ireland,agreed majority are nice and just trying to het by but plenty of entitlement to other peoples money to go around.nothing to do with background either,plenty of freeloading parasites in the middle to upper middle classes too.
              Last edited by Guest; 27-08-16, 12:42.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                May well be one in Limerick, and he could have been in Dublin or England either.

Why would shops in Iceland the country have bottled water if no one bought it? Seems silly. I doubt many shops in Ireland stock rotten shark fin, the Icelandic delicacy, as no one would buy it. Dude in the shop should have minded his own business. I never drink water in hotels anywhere unless I am parched and have no bottled water
                Thats true. There is one in waterford, tralee and midleton. But if he was in one of these stores he would only be looking for a walking around bottle as hes passing through and not a 4 or 6pk of 1.5ltr's which would be the only type you could get there so he would unlikely choose to buy tepid shelf water on such a scale in an Iceland shop when he could use a newsagent or mace for some chilled water.

Comment

When I was there the tap water in Iceland tasted of sulphur due to contamination from the geothermal heating systems used for the hot water.
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                    When I was there the tap water in Iceland tasted of sulphur due to contamination from the geothermal heating systems used for the hot water.
                    Used to fish quite a bit way upstate in New York. The water was full of sulphur and taking a shower in it smelt like showering in rotten eggs.

Comment

Was this the country or the shop ?
                      This too shall pass.

Comment

You're struggling to take a side between:

1. The perspective from someone who works with homeless people, and seems to have no axe to grind

2. Someone who describes people who rely on homeless services as beggars (even if just in a bit of an offhanded way), and whose argument such that it is relies on one-sided leaked information from the government of what is meant to be personal private data

Even by your standards of wilfully misunderstanding things and attempting to climb atop the moral high ground, the above is complete bollix.

I am criticising one homeless person, who is exploiting her situation (and denying her kids proper accomodation in the process) for political reasons. This does not equal having a go at all homeless people. Get a fucking grip.

Also my resident Social Worker fully concurs that this woman is completely acting the bollix, including leaking her own details to the press.
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I do not have any mindset that homeless people are beggars or that they can't be or shouldn't be housed but it is clear that SF chose to exploit this woman and her family for all the propaganda they could milk out of her and that she (with or without prompting from SF) chose to remain homeless in a hotel rather than accept a reasonable accommodation.

Of course you don't stay on the housing waiting list when you have been housed but if you read this you will see that
                          The Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) is a social housing support provided by local authorities. Under the scheme, rent is paid directly to private landlords and you pay a weekly contribution to your local authority.

So you can stay on the housing list with all the time you spent on it previously taken into account. That will not put you at the bottom of the housing waiting list if you were to become homeless again but perhaps farther down the list than people who weren't housed at all during these two years.

I resent that you think I'm trying to demonise or point fingers at homeless people and their circumstances. The very opposite is the case, it is this woman and the people who are pulling her strings who are exploiting the very real crisis in housing to score political points.
                          But, this woman, who is homeless, is being demonised on here

She is a free loader, gaming the system
                          She has a massive sense of entitlement
                          She is a puppet for a political party
                          She is doing everything for political reasons
                          She is leaving her kids in a terrible position to further her own personal ambition

If that is not demonising her, I don't know what is.

Also, there is one major important word in the information on the citizens information that you quote and it's the wordcan.

If you do apply for a transfer within 2 weeks of getting the letter confirming your HAP payment, any time that you spent on the housing list can be taken into account when your local authority considers your application. If you apply for a transfer at a later date, the time that you previously spent on the housing waiting list won’t count.

Each authority sets their own rules and in reality, they generally end up going to the bottom of the list even though the time can be considered, it doesn't mean it is. This is just how it works, whether it is right or wrong.

You need to stop letting your hate of SF influence you. At best, it's colours your judgement. At worse, it totally blinds you from the issue. I am no fan of SF, far from it, but I genuinely believe that she did not start this for personal ambition or political gain. There have been many people who have being on the wrong end of social justice and have used that to try champion the cause.

You see it as her exploiting the homeless cause, I see it as highlighting the homeless cause and it needs highlighting and it needs action because it's getting worse by the day

I also think it speaks volumes that her personal information is leaked by government in an attempt to try discredit somebody who is highlighting the problems that exist with homelessness at the minute.

Anyway, the sun is shining and I'm going to try enjoy some of it before I sit in a pub and watch sports

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                            She can go back to the family home if she wants to...she doesn't want to

She's classified as a single parent...but has a partner she's been with for a number of years but can't move in with him either obviously

She was offered two homes on the same basis you and I would have to look at in a private rental scheme, one of which was in Clontarf which is out of the reach of most....that didn't suit her either.

She'd rather keep her daughter in a hotel room to further her personal ambitions than do any of the above. Gaming the system, no more no less.

The real tragedy of this is the bad feeling it generates towards people who are genuinely homeless, with no family support and no-one to turn to. Combined with the fact that people like her who feel they're entitled to a "forever home" without having to do anything to deserve it.

Sometimes I think it's the rest of us that are the real mugs in this life.
                            ^^^spot on.

Comment

I should really read all posts before replying, Hitch already had his arse handed to him.

And wp Lao Lao on the volunteering.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                Also, there is one major important word in the information on the citizens information that you quote and it's the wordcan.

If you do apply for a transfer within 2 weeks of getting the letter confirming your HAP payment, any time that you spent on the housing list can be taken into account when your local authority considers your application. If you apply for a transfer at a later date, the time that you previously spent on the housing waiting list won’t count.

I also think it speaks volumes that her personal information is leaked by government in an attempt to try discredit somebody who is highlighting the problems that exist with homelessness at the minute.
                                Housing waiting list is a very complex calculation but the rule regarding this part is straightforward; you go off the housing waiting list but stay on the housing list with the time on the list parameter parked. I suppose the word can is here because there could be situations where you could come back on to the list but the time you spent on the list some years ago would not be a relevant factor. The fact is that yes accepting a HAP place will change your place on the housing list but it does not put you to the back of it and the years you have already spent on it will remain in

This is a very important point and central to the propaganda game Sinn Fein and this lady have been playing on this in their usual opposing a perfectly good scheme for the sake of opposing it. They have been going around telling people that they will never get a council house if they accept HAP. And to be honest it sounds like you have bought their lie hook line and sinker because you are continuing to argue black is white despite me showing you chapter and verse.

There is a world of difference between shaming (demonising is not a word I'd use but whatever) one individual who has refused a reasonable offer in order to continue using her situation for political reasons and demonising the homeless in general which you implied I was doing.

You see it as her exploiting the homeless cause, I see it as highlighting the homeless cause and it needs highlighting and it needs action because it's getting worse by the day
                                I prefer my politics to be reality based. Of course its exploiting if you choose to live in a hotel and campaign on the basis of a lie having refused reasonable accommodation.

The more I hear about this aspect the more concerned I am that this is the real story.
                                TBH I'm surprised and a bit suspicious that SF aren't on every news programme spinning it and trying to make it a difficult issue for the Government.

Anyway, the sun is shining and I'm going to try enjoy some of it before I sit in a pub and watch sports
                                Sounds like a plan

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                  Damn hipsters queued up and bought the two art pieces I wanted. Feck sake. Wine was good, somebody was playing a giant harp in the corner (art exhibitions are everything I imagined it seems) and bought 3 other things. My friends stuff sold so not so bad. Got something by that viral Conor McGregor artist. Now I have to commission the fox woman and pay way more ;_;

Did you go Eamon?
                                  No I totally forgot, ended up in pub instead. Is it still on might have a look now?
                                  airport, lol

Comment

On bottled water, it's all they drink in Germany - no tap water ever - the concept is foreign to them....worst part is they only drink sparkling water. Fucking rank.

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                    No I totally forgot, ended up in pub instead. Is it still on might have a look now?
                                    It's not on, they stuck stuff that didn't sell on facebook to sell but not too much left apart from the yoga one, I like that. Surprise surprise nobody wanted to buy sad looking cow paintings
                                    Anyway here is the leftovers!
                                    Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Housing waiting list is a very complex calculation but the rule regarding this part is straightforward; you go off the housing waiting list but stay on the housing list with the time on the list parameter parked. I suppose the word can is here because there could be situations where you could come back on to the list but the time you spent on the list some years ago would not be a relevant factor. The fact is that yes accepting a HAP place will change your place on the housing list but it does not put you to the back of it and the years you have already spent on it will remain in

This is a very important point and central to the propaganda game Sinn Fein and this lady have been playing on this in their usual opposing a perfectly good scheme for the sake of opposing it. They have been going around telling people that they will never get a council house if they accept HAP. And to be honest it sounds like you have bought their lie hook line and sinker because you are continuing to argue black is white despite me showing you chapter and verse.
                                      I haven't bought any lies from SF. I've already explained I am no fan of them.

I'm basing what I am saying on stories, details, anecdotes that have been relayed to me by homeless people who have gone through the system. Maybe they are all eggagerating their situation. I never grilled them on it, I took them at face value.

Out of interest, exactly what source of information are you basing your stance on re HAP v's Social Housing?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                        I haven't bought any lies from SF. I've already explained I am no fan of them.

I'm basing what I am saying on stories, details, anecdotes that have been relayed to me by homeless people who have gone through the system. Maybe they are all eggagerating their situation. I never grilled them on it, I took them at face value.

Out of interest, exactly what source of information are you basing your stance on re HAP v's Social Housing?
                                        There is a big difference between people who need a hand to get back on their feet which I think is more what you are talking about and this women who is saying she can't stay in a hotel room (terrible way to live indeed) or go into the rented accomadation for 24 months while she studies.

The idea that she will be straight into a high paying job on graduation is laughable, unless she is doing one of the top courses and lands a prime graduate job she won't be getting more than 30k which will be less then combined, rent, dole and child benefit once it's taxed. Does anyone know what she is studying?

She is entitled to it and that's the system we have so she will get a house. If she hase a kid in a small hotel room and was serious about trying to study to improve her lot I would have thought any upgrade even if it's temporary is worth it. If she is holding on for a house for life and that is her primary goal for improving her life is getting a nice semi d in a good area for free then she is approaching it correctly.

I also cannot see why people think that people should be allowed to make untrue claims and hide behind the data protection laws. If you choose to step into the public eye you should have your facts checked - anything else is slander or fraud i would say.

I agree that people should be supported when they hit rock bottom but I also think this is not her actual situation. I don't know all the ins and outs I have to admit but she does seem to be gaming the system and pretty much standing up as the poster girl for squeezing the system for all you can.

In short not all homeless people are all equally unlucky to have ended up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                          On bottled water, it's all they drink in Germany - no tap water ever - the concept is foreign to them....worst part is they only drink sparkling water. Fucking rank.

It's not on, they stuck stuff that didn't sell on facebook to sell but not too much left apart from the yoga one, I like that. Surprise surprise nobody wanted to buy sad looking cow paintings
                                          Anyway here is the leftovers!
                                          https://www.facebook.com/events/1562...tive_tab=posts
                                          We get water delivered here in Malta, I can't stand sparkling either but loads seem to favour it.

Comment

Did someone say Vinatis plus Parcel Motel is a runner?

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                              No alcohol in their t&c's but thats not to say it doesnt work.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                I was using Vivino and Parcel Motel and posted about it recently. First shipment was oversized and went to their collection depot in Finglas. When I went to collect it, one of the lads there told me he was meant to report alochol to customs. I played dumb and took the wine home.

Second shipment got seized got customs. They wanted to charge me 11 quid a bottle duty. I contacted them and again played dumb, first time doing it, etc.

I got the wine without paying any more but they emphasised that Parcel Motel are not allowed carry alcohol as per their T&C's

Currently trying to see if there is any loop holes to get around this but haven't come up with one yet

Comment

Do you have a citation for this? Everyone seems to think you go the bottom of the housing list if you take a rental.
                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Has anyone ever read any of the Backstrom books by Leif Persson? Nearly crying with laughter here reading The Sword of Justice.

Hero is an alcoholic, womanising, crooked genius homicide detective. Very far from politically correct (his inner monologue is all about 'anal acrobats', 'lady gardens' and fat brown envelopes stuffed with bribes). Great stuff altogether.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                          Has anyone ever read any of the Backstrom books by Leif Persson? Nearly crying with laughter here reading The Sword of Justice.

Hero is an alcoholic, womanising, crooked genius homicide detective. Very far from politically correct (his inner monologue is all about 'anal acrobats', 'lady gardens' and fat brown envelopes stuffed with bribes). Great stuff altogether.
                                                          They made it into a TV show, dude lived on a houseboat with a drug dealer, it was quiet good. Canned unfortunately after the first series..
                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Spent the day with an Italian work colleague today who was saying how he got 30litres of olive oil on his Tuscany holiday from the producer for a whopping €330. He was saying the oil sells retail at about €30 a litre. You'd want to be really into your olive oiling

The reason he got all that oil is his kid who has asbergers will only eat pesto pasta since he started eating proper food. So every Sunday he makes a big load of pesto (which needs a bucketload of oil), and then every single night for the last five years he has cooked pesto pasta for his son.

Anyway, we quickly looked over the slight sadness of this story, and got the pesto recipe, given his Italianess and the five years of practice. Fresh pesto is sublime stuff in all its simplicity, so much so we were half committing to following his kid's example and turning it into a very regular dish.

After stuffing ourselves though we were estimating the cost... Yeah, that is one very fcking expensive sauce no matter how easy it is to make. Might have to keep it for special occassions
                                                            It my be the Gin but that's such a sad story.
                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

There are still some parts of Ireland that have not quite caught up....

Some photos from tonight's B&B https://imgur.com/a/NjCSR

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                Do you have a citation for this? Everyone seems to think you go the bottom of the housing list if you take a rental.
                                                                Talking to a County councillor (lab) last week and the text from the citizens advice I posted earlier.

I think there is confusion in peoples minds between the Housing waiting list and the social housing.

Again:
                                                                Your housing needs will have been met under HAP and you will no longer be on the local authority’s housing waiting list. However, if you wish to have access to other social housing supports, such as local authority housing or housing provided by a housing association, you can apply to the local authority for a transfer.
                                                                I don't know if there are figures for how long people who are housed under HAP will have to wait to get social housing that is not HAP but obv if there is a very long queue people who have homes are going to be further down the list from people who have greater or more immediate need.

Comment

Washington DC is some place to be a tourist for a few days

Abraham Lincoln by Stephen Devine, on Flickr
                                                                  The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post

Obviously you've never been to Kilcoole.

Comment

This too shall pass.

Comment

Visions of Johanna - Portsmouth UK, Summer 2000 - The Never-Ending Tour -http://www.bjorner.com/DSN22150%20-%202000%20Europe%20Fall%20Tour.htm-------------Vi...
                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Just sruck a bet in the pub wirh a Kerry players da. His €6k v my €20k for them to win AI fhis year or next. Good or bad?

AJ or someone crunch the numbers..

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                            Just sruck a bet in the pub wirh a Kerry players da. His €6k v my €20k for them to win AI fhis year or next. Good or bad?

are you drunk?

Comment

Are you insane, Kerry are currently 4/1 to win this year with PP. Don't know of the the odds for next year but got to imagine it is similar. So you given him two shots at 4/1ish. The odds for a double chance must by default be lower. So he got the better of that bet. Time to get laying man.

However saying that, I can't see Kerry winning this year or next. We are still very much in transition.
                                                                              Last edited by pokerhand; 27-08-16, 23:47.
                                                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by poprock View Post
                                                                                are you drunk?
                                                                                Yes. But i reckon by teatime wmrw i'll be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                  Are you insane, Kerry are currently 4/1 to win this year with PP. Don't know of the the odds for next year but got to imagine it is similar. So you given him two shots at 4/1ish. The odds for a double chance must by default be lower. So he got the better of that bet. Time to get laying man.

However saying that, I can't see Kerry winning this year or next. We are still very much in transition.
                                                                                  Yep. Assuming they dont get through 2mrw im laying 9/4 for 2017. Hard to get a 6k backer tbf. Meh.

Comment

Yep. Assuming they dont get through 2mrw im laying 9/4 for 2017. Hard to get a 6k backer tbf. Meh.
                                                                                    If they win tomorrow, that will be a hell of a sweat..,
                                                                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Ive as much an iota of GAA as i have of synchronised swimming from de olympics. But sure nwxt time in Dingle twill drink for free

Comment

Just watched Independence Day Resurgence. Took some resolve not to turn it off and watch till end. Has to be one of the worst movies I ever watched.

Makes you understand why some ppl hate the yanks.

Comment

Anyone wanna price up getting €6k out of a Kerryman?

Comment

Any of the Kerry lads on the beer tonight Dobby?

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

PP's book has a big enough overround so that price isn't relevant to the calculations, their real odds would be closer to 5/1. They'd have to be bigger than that for next season so I'd say it's more like a 5/1 and 6/1 shot respectively.
                                                                                              Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post

Couldn't recommend it highly enough. A city of contrasts - some of the best museums in the world, great food, easy to get around and history with so many stories it'll leave you begging for more. (It's got some amazing music history too!)

But also a city with a tradition of tumult and transformation.

Getting to sit in both Senate and House of Representative galleries was utterly thrilling for me (probably less so my heavily pregnant at-the-time wife).

If you're in the vicinity or thinking about a trip to the east coast of the US and have even a passing interest in how modern life was shaped go to D.C. for 3 or 4 days at least.

<Great pictures BTW Stephen>
                                                                                                Last edited by BennyHiFi; 28-08-16, 01:32.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                  Anyone wanna price up getting €6k out of a Kerryman?
                                                                                                  Its solid tbf.

Comment

Any reccomendations for nice place to stay in barcelona with a spa or close to one would be ideal? planning on taking the missus there for anniversary.

Comment

Its solid tbf.
                                                                                                      Oh dear, the minute I saw the first post I hit reply to say 'if they're from the west you're being free-rolled'

Comment

On the ferry to bandit county now. Could be a good morning for the Conor Pass...

Or my last.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                          Any of the Kerry lads on the beer tonight Dobby?
                                                                                                          Not sure. Wasn't out myself. Think they head to Dublin the night before now anyway instead of the train up on the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                            On the ferry to bandit county now. Could be a good morning for the Conor Pass...

Or my last.
                                                                                                            I'm sorry to be so forward as to ask but we need to know.

Were you able to perform under the watchful eyes of Jesus, Mary and JP2

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Or my last.
                                                                                                                You're heading to a good part of the county if you plan on watching the game later. Smashing day down here so far. Enjoy.

Comment

I'm sorry to be so forward as to ask but we need to know.

Were you able to perform under the watchful eyes of Jesus, Mary and JP2
                                                                                                                  I'd sleep through anything..
                                                                                                                  (I assume that's what you were asking?)

Sun beating down here, the baiting has already begun. Treacherousity of Conor Pass somewhat exaggerated but some scenery!

Could be a serious day!

Comment

Sore head. Cure incoming. Hon the kingdom. 11/4 huge price today. I have never seen them that price in my life.

Comment

Benitez signs Daryl Murphy isn't a headline I thought I'd ever see.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                                                                                                        Benitez signs Daryl Murphy isn't a headline I thought I'd ever see.
                                                                                                                        Not the worst championship backup 3rd/4th striker.

Comment

Can anyone do €50 on Stars? I'll send €52 bank transfer first. Dying for a game

EDIT: Should explain - Don't want to deposit with bank card
                                                                                                                          Last edited by TheJiggaman; 28-08-16, 11:11.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X