This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

You haven't posted any nonsense today. HitchGPT assumed full control?
    You used to hear all these urban legends in tech of people with six figure jobs who had automated away most of their workflow and some of them even made the news over the years. You have to imagine that across the board now tones of people are finding ways to outsource work/tasks to GPT. I know someone though a friend who is/was working three jobs, i can't get into details here.

Wait till we have perfect digital avatars of ourselves to send into online meetings. It comes back to let you know how the day went that evening,

"Ah GPT you didn't get me fired in the meeting again, I can't keep explaining Ohm's law to to you"

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
      Bert 'girafganger7' Stevens (Online poker crusher) started streaming on twitch a few months back, he looks like he is in the basement of a castle somewhere and while streaming he chain smokes cigarette's while often tilting out of his mind

He streamed winning the online WSOP for $2.7m on twitch.
      He stuck the highlights of this up on his youtube channel. It's a pretty fun watch. This is part 1. The other two parts are also up on the channel.

Comment

Wow, people are already doing some wild stuff with the GPT-4 Vision and Text-To-Speech API's.

Comment

You used to hear all these urban legends in tech of people with six figure jobs who had automated away most of their workflow and some of them even made the news over the years. You have to imagine that across the board now tones of people are finding ways to outsource work/tasks to GPT. I know someone though a friend who is/was working three jobs, i can't get into details here.

Wait till we have perfect digital avatars of ourselves to send into online meetings. It comes back to let you know how the day went that evening,

"Ah GPT you didn't get me fired in the meeting again, I can't keep explaining Ohm's law to to you"

Comment

Wow, people are already doing some wild stuff with the GPT-4 Vision and Text-To-Speech API's.
            I had a thought about this earlier - about just how innovative they are as a company. Like they're literally ripping the fabric of business apart every few months. Its the speed at which they are moving which is the most astonishing thing. What if - and hear me out here - what if they actually have developed an internal AGI that they just use for internal purposes and thats whats helping them to be so far ahead of the pack?
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

When are we getting the universal income so I can put my feet up and light cigars with unpaid speeding tickets!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

I laughed, but also feel a need to remark that he seems to have misunderstood what fine-tuning is for. Fine-tuning is the process of telling GPT how to answer questions in a way you want them answered. So he has training his GPT to fine-tune with bad answers for the questions he intends to pose. Its like training a parrot to say shithead shithead shithead shithead shithead shithead shithead shithead and then bemoaning that it says shithead whenever someone says who's a pretty polly then.

Comment

Anyone thinking this ends up with UBI and easy life for the majority is retarded
                  if it’s moving as fast as people say you can’t keep up so people like new who have no interest will end up in the same place as the lads wanking themselves silly over every minor leap - the scrapheap
                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Third anniversary, deserves to be a public holiday.

F-VkHfhacAEWY3n?format=jpg&name=small.jpg
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                      the lads wanking themselves silly over every minor leap - the scrapheap
                      I was wanking myself silly long before chatgpt.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I had a thought about this earlier - about just how innovative they are as a company. Like they're literally ripping the fabric of business apart every few months. Its the speed at which they are moving which is the most astonishing thing. What if - and hear me out here - what if they actually have developed an internal AGI that they just use for internal purposes and thats whats helping them to be so far ahead of the pack?
                        What if the internal AI controls Open AI Noah Harari on the Fridman podcast blew my mind a little when he talked about how as AI creeps into all areas of society and if at some stage it becomes sentient it could be very easy for it to create a reality that serves to keep us busy in whatever illusion it wants the world to become to us and we won't be smart enough to see it happening or to even know we are in this controlled space. You think hard enough about how tech has developed into this all consuming attention machine and you get a headache.

Backing out of crazytown, the more sane answer is Open AI have this incredible data generating machine. That is where they are making leaps and bounds ahead of everyone currently. They have been getting all the data from the people interacting with it daily, all the data from people using it to build apps, all the data from conversation people have with it. It is a constant feedback loop to keep making the product better.

Comment

Gimmeabreak recommended the podcast "The Nobody Zone" in here a few years ago and I'm pretty sure a few here listened to it. Now RTE have adapted it for television in "Interview with an Irish serial killer" with Ned Dennehy who plays a great villain playing the part of Kelly.

Part one was on last night and can be caught on the player.

Comment

I suppose one of the big good news stories of our times, that not even MysteryGuest can disapprove of, is that Shein has managed to grow itself into a $90bn global behemoth. Thats about three times the value of Primark and H&M combined. But - and this was a surprise to me - not yet as valuable as Zara, which is a $115bn megabeast.

Comment

I suppose one of the big good news stories of our times, that not even MysteryGuest can disapprove of, is that Shein has managed to grow itself into a $90bn global behemoth. Thats about three times the value of Primark and H&M combined. But - and this was a surprise to me - not yet as valuable as Zara, which is a $115bn megabeast.
                              What's with Temu? I went to buy something online, the identical product was half price with free shipping with Temu. They gave me a voucher if I spent a bit more. Was surprisingly difficult to hit the amount needed. Ended up paying the same as what I would have paid amazon but now am getting about 20 things.

Comment

What's with Temu? I went to buy something online, the identical product was half price with free shipping with Temu. They gave me a voucher if I spent a bit more. Was surprisingly difficult to hit the amount needed. Ended up paying the same as what I would have paid amazon but now am getting about 20 things.
                                They probably just use more slaves.
                                When something is that cheap the answer is invariably, slavery.
                                The claims arise from an investigation into a US law barring imports made with Uyghur labour.

Comment

I find this very unlikely. How could you possible have heard the details within seeing a picture of her - there would be internet story, newspaper story, tv story that wouldn't include her picture. If you heard it secondhand then you heard it from someone who was possibly judging her from her appearance.
                                  I first heard the story on the evening news. When the story broke it was based from hospital and police reports. The woman’s image only appeared several days later after she was at the police station and gave a media statement.

Regardless you’re willfully missing the point. Even if the first report somebody seen include her image/interview. That doesn’t make it ok to use her appearance as “evidence” she did it. I’m pretty surprise that you thought that was a normal sentiment to share.

Yeah I might be giving quite a bit of weight to this - of assuming that generally Australians jump to conclusions in legal matters, and then follow through on them out of pure pig stubbornness and ignorance.
                                  The case was circumstantial. A woman camping in Uluru (formerly Ayers Rock). Returned from a trip without her baby, claimed a dingo took it. No evidence that happened, equally no evidence that she did anything sinister (other than a red stain in the boot). She was at least negligent, but was convicted on circumstance. Layer overturned based on clothing found in the bush (also kinda circumstantial).

Kind of strange to make a sweeping statements about Australians jumping to conclusions. I mean you’re literally jumping to an assumed conclusions, and plowing on stubbornly is kinda your MO. surely you see the irony.

Most places will have their cases of wrongful conviction. Ireland included (the nun rape case). Usually the result of partial information.

Hopefully the reasonable full facts come out for mushroom lady. The frumpy darling.

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                    The claims arise from an investigation into a US law barring imports made with Uyghur labour.
                                    Youve come a long way since lol poor people

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                      I first heard the story on the evening news. When the story broke it was based from hospital and police reports. The woman’s image only appeared several days later after she was at the police station and gave a media statement.

Regardless you’re willfully missing the point. Even if the first report somebody seen include her image/interview. That doesn’t make it ok to use her appearance as “evidence” she did it. I’m pretty surprise that you thought that was a normal sentiment to share.

The case was circumstantial. A woman camping in Uluru (formerly Ayers Rock). Returned from a trip without her baby, claimed a dingo took it. No evidence that happened, equally no evidence that she did anything sinister (other than a red stain in the boot). She was at least negligent, but was convicted on circumstance. Layer overturned based on clothing found in the bush (also kinda circumstantial).

Kind of strange to make a sweeping statements about Australians jumping to conclusions. I mean you’re literally jumping to an assumed conclusions, and plowing on stubbornly is kinda your MO. surely you see the irony.

Most places will have their cases of wrongful conviction. Ireland included (the nun rape case). Usually the result of partial information.

Hopefully the reasonable full facts come out for mushroom lady. The frumpy darling.
                                      Yer reminding me of the Birmingham 6 and the Guilford 4 . All jailed on SPstancial evidence.

Comment

Pretty sure they're one of the companies caught using enslaved Uighur labour? Chinese state fully complicit ofc.
                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Pretty sure they're one of the companies caught using enslaved Uighur labour? Chinese state fully complicit ofc.
                                          Feck , and well noted going forward.

Comment

If the mushroom lady gets convicted I hope to read that she gets a job in the prison canteen.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Feck , and well noted going forward.
                                              Let's now all call for the Chinese ambassador to be sent home. Oh no wait, forgot nobody cares about the Uighurs. Or the Syrians. Or the Kurds...

Comment

Let's now all call for the Chinese ambassador to be sent home. Oh no wait, forgot nobody cares about the Uighurs. Or the Syrians. Or the Kurds...
                                                Well i guess we are complicity involved when we buy. The only answer is to be more conscious when buying .

I actually mindlessly used these before - hence the 'feck'. GettinG impossible to be ethical but I'll start with these .

Comment

Yeah I've seen a few condensing posts from people "not posting about Palestine is privilege etc etc" of course, these people have never mentioned any of the other 50+ conflicts and multiple concurrent genocides in the world

Comment

Did seem bizarrely cheap. Thought it was a market or data grab.

Comment

Clothing has always been made in China using practices no different to Shein (and some indications that Shein pays higher), the only difference now is that it is a Chinese company, or group of companies, that are selling the products directly rather than through Western intermediaries. That feels like a good thing as it is cutting out the markup that the Western company - Primark etc - are charging on top for no useful service. Meaning there is more money to pay people better (hence the higher wages) and it is cheaper to us as the end-user.

Comment

Its the Australian ambassador we should be sending home. Leave.Mushroom.Lady.Alone.

(well that and their pollution of the world and endemic racism)

Comment

Yer reminding me of the Birmingham 6 and the Guilford 4 . All jailed on SPstancial evidence.
                                                          And the Maguire Seven
                                                          The Central Park 5.
                                                          The sallins train robbery (beaten to confession by the Guards).
                                                          The guy who inspired The Fugitive
                                                          Joan of Arc and other Witches burned at the stake.

Comment

Yeah I've seen a few condensing posts from people "not posting about Palestine is privilege etc etc" of course, these people have never mentioned any of the other 50+ conflicts and multiple concurrent genocides in the world
                                                            It's very true. There's something about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict that sends people into a frenzy. These same people completely ignore all other conflicts and human rights abuses. It's weird to say the least.

Comment

Pretty huge day for the EU today with the enlargement report being published. Should now be a clear path for Ukraine and Moldova.

Comment

It's very true. There's something about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict that sends people into a frenzy. These same people completely ignore all other conflicts and human rights abuses. It's weird to say the least.
                                                                It’s probably the overt indiscriminate nature of it, support from the US and apparent commonality of values. It’s not really that weird at all tbh.

Comment

Its quite natural that we would be more interested in situations we are directly familiar with, in situations where the abuser is a supposed first-world country, and in situations where we feel a natural empathy (Ireland as a former colonised country seeing similar mistreatment).

What you are trying to say, of course, is that it is driven by antisemitism. You don't want to say it because you are smart enough to know that criticism of Israel killing Palestinian children is a perfectly valid criticism - generally the world agrees on this, that countries shouldn't try to kill the children of other countries with large weapons in a genocidal manner. So because you can't say it directly, as it makes no sense, you just need to imply it. To imply: why is Israel being criticised for killing little kids, if not for the antisemetic nature of the world that won't just let them kill in peace. Sounds pretty stupid when said out loud, really?

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

It’s probably the overt indiscriminate nature of it, support from the US and apparent commonality of values. It’s not really that weird at all tbh.
                                                                    What's the 'apparent commonality of values'?

Take the Uighur ethnic cleansing and repression for example. Why doesn't that excite similar emotions?

Comment

The line "we're already killing all these other people, why not also kill Palestinian kids" is a brave line and I for one want to see how it works out.

Comment

What's the 'apparent commonality of values'?

Take the Uighur ethnic cleansing and repression for example. Why doesn't that excite similar emotions?
                                                                        Israel is more closely aligned to western values than China is which I’m sure you’d agree with therefore the expectation is different.

Israel do not treat Palestinians day to day in a way that aligns with Western values nor has there response been what is expected of a country with western values.

My guess is that the last point is something you might disagree with but the rest seems like common sense.

Comment

Israel is more closely aligned to western values than China is which I’m sure you’d agree with therefore the expectation is different.

Israel do not treat Palestinians day to day in a way that aligns with Western values nor has there response been what is expected of a country with western values.

My guess is that the last point is something you might disagree with but the rest seems like common sense.
                                                                          Most countries with Western values aren't located in the Middle East though, and face existential threats from sworn enemies. So expecting Israel to behave like Sweden seems unrealistic.

Comment

And the Maguire Seven
                                                                            The Central Park 5.
                                                                            The sallins train robbery (beaten to confession by the Guards).
                                                                            The guy who inspired The Fugitive
                                                                            Joan of Arc and other Witches burned at the stake.
                                                                            Not forgetting the execution of Jesue Christ without any defence lawyer present . I guess his wine from water making business threatened those with more overheards . Not forgetting his threat to the baking industry and pharma . If he was doing catering for any big events nonbody coukd compete. Had to go but was surely unjustly killed.

Comment

Not forgetting the execution of Jesue Christ without any defence lawyer present . I guess his wine from water making business threatened those with more overheards . Not forgetting his threat to the baking industry and pharma . If he was doing catering for any big events nonbody coukd compete. Had to go but was surely unjustly killed.
                                                                              Not to forget his single handed destruction of perfectly good livelihoods
                                                                              "Alms for an ex leper"

Comment

Most countries with Western values aren't located in the Middle East though, and face existential threats from sworn enemies. So expecting Israel to behave like Sweden seems unrealistic.
                                                                                I tend to disagree, however even if I was to agree that an Israeli response to Hamas should be different than Sweden responding to Norway, it doesn’t change the fact that Israeli treatment of Palestinians more generally does not align with a western democracy and I can’t think of a particularly good reason why they shouldn’t irrespective of where they’re located.

Comment

He wasn't too fond of bankers either. Clearly a troublemaker.
                                                                                  Although he was a Palestinian committed to nonviolence.

Comment

I tend to disagree, however even if I was to agree that an Israeli response to Hamas should be different than Sweden responding to Norway, it doesn’t change the fact that Israeli treatment of Palestinians more generally does not align with a western democracy and I can’t think of a particularly good reason why they shouldn’t irrespective of where they’re located.
                                                                                    Now imagine Sweden had been attacked by Norway, Finland and Denmark multiple times in the last 70 years. And that the Netherlands was funding multiple terrorist armies dedicated to the destruction of Sweden and the murder of all Swedes.

I think Swedish tolerance might slip just a tad.

Every situation has to be judged in its own context.

Comment

Now imagine Sweden had been attacked by Norway, Finland and Denmark multiple times in the last 70 years. And that the Netherlands was funding multiple terrorist armies dedicated to the destruction of Sweden and the murder of all Swedes.

Hectorjelly needs to do a piece on Sweden- Norway history . V interesting . The Swedes fecked up, all that oil

Comment

Charged with Blasphemy and Treason. Was guilty of both to be fair.
                                                                                        Presumably all part his plan

Comment

Charged with Blasphemy and Treason. Was guilty of both to be fair.
                                                                                          Presumably all part his plan
                                                                                          All he said was his Chapter one meal was good enough for Jehovah himself

Comment

All he said was his Chapter one meal was good enough for Jehovah himself
                                                                                            Nah, that was the lad next door. Brian

Comment

Tolerance might slip a tad seems like a pretty generous euphemism.

I thought Stephen Walt captured things quite well when it initially occurred:

“Yes, it was “unprovoked” in the narrow legal sense that Israel wasn’t about to attack Gaza, which might justify preemption by Hamas. But it was surely “provoked” in the commonsense meaning of the term—that is, as a violent response to the conditions that Palestinians in Gaza and elsewhere have faced for decades—even if Hamas’s willingness to deliberately attack civilians in particularly brutal ways is cruel, indefensible, and quite possibly counterproductive.”

Comment

Absolutely this. It's different when it's 'Us' that are doing it.
                                                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Also, the actual Black & Tans left Ireland to go brutalise Palestinians in Mandated Palestine, that's our connection.

Israeli hawkish top brass are monsters and have a history of being monsters. Sharon in Leb is almost a carbon copy of this situation.

It's possible to be saddened and outraged about what happeneed on Oct 7th while also believing what Israel is currently doing is demonic and also terrorism.

Comment

Tolerance might slip a tad seems like a pretty generous euphemism.

I thought Stephen Walt captured things quite well when it initially occurred:

“Yes, it was “unprovoked” in the narrow legal sense that Israel wasn’t about to attack Gaza, which might justify preemption by Hamas. But it was surely “provoked” in the commonsense meaning of the term—that is, as a violent response to the conditions that Palestinians in Gaza and elsewhere have faced for decades—even if Hamas’s willingness to deliberately attack civilians in particularly brutal ways is cruel, indefensible, and quite possibly counterproductive.”
                                                                                                    Was it a violent response to the conditions? I feel like choosing this specific point in time was more to do with bigger players. More to do with Russia and Iran than anything specific to Gaza.

Comment

What website are people using for prescription glasses these days?

Comment

Such a complex situation that I struggle to have any meaningful views. It's crazy to me to see people fall so far on one side. I do always enjoy listening to Sam and I think this is worth an hour of anyone's time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                          Also, the actual Black & Tans left Ireland to go brutalise Palestinians in Mandated Palestine, that's our connection.

Israeli hawkish top brass are monsters and have a history of being monsters. Sharon in Leb is almost a carbon copy of this situation.

It's possible to be saddened and outraged about what happeneed on Oct 7th while also believing what Israel is currently doing is demonic and also terrorism.
                                                                                                          'Demonic'

Hamas has direct agency here; release the hostages.

Comment

Was it a violent response to the conditions? I feel like choosing this specific point in time was more to do with bigger players. More to do with Russia and Iran than anything specific to Gaza.
                                                                                                            No, I don’t believe Hamas attacked because of some type of tipping point from poor conditions but I think it’s pretty well documented that the grip which Hamas has on the Gaza Strip has increased as the conditions of Palestinians has worsened.

I don’t doubt at all that external actors funding Hamas have used the aegis of deteriorating conditions as justification for an opportunistic attack but I think it’s clear that if the treatment of Palestinians did not continue to worsen as it has done then the free rein which Hamas has gained is far less likely to have persisted.

Comment

powerful stuff
                                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

'Demonic'

Hamas has direct agency here; release the hostages.
                                                                                                                I listened to a Doctor describe the difference between a thermal burn and a white phosphorus burn and how the latter burrows until it reaches bone. He talked of a mother and ten year old boy he witnessed dying from this after their home was bombed.

I would consider that demonic.

No side here has agency on brutality. Not now or historically.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

I listened to a Doctor describe the difference between a thermal burn and a white phosphorus burn and how the latter burrows until it reaches bone. He talked of a mother and ten year old boy he witnessed dying from this after their home was bombed.

I would consider that demonic.

No side here has agency on brutality. Not now or historically.
                                                                                                                  But you do take the point on hostages and how their release could produce a ceasefire?

Comment

No, I don’t believe Hamas attacked because of some type of tipping point from poor conditions but I think it’s pretty well documented that the grip which Hamas has on the Gaza Strip has increased as the conditions of Palestinians has worsened.

I don’t doubt at all that external actors funding Hamas have used the aegis of deteriorating conditions as justification for an opportunistic attack but I think it’s clear that if the treatment of Palestinians did not continue to worsen as it has done then the free rein which Hamas has gained is far less likely to have persisted.
                                                                                                                    Hamas is a pawn of Iran. They couldn't care less about Palestinians, as they've repeatedly proven.

The Palestinians really are an lucky people, 'victims of victims' in the words of Edward Said. They've been most unlucky in the bad choices they've made in terms of their 'allies' (who have mostly either abandoned or used them) and their leaders, such as the grotesquely corrupt Arafat.
                                                                                                                    Picking Iran (ironically most Palestinian Muslims are Sunni) as an 'ally' is just the latest in a long list of very bad choices. Not releasing the hostages is another.

Comment

Imagine Sweden decided to set up shop and claim a country from the Scandinavian area among all the Finns and Norwegians (yes I know some of the history about how it actually came into being, and there wasn't a country called Palestine there), then forced more of them from their houses and shoved 2 million Norwegians and Finns into a hellhole of an area less than half the size of county Louth. You can see why some in that area then might decide to carry out some horrendous acts too.

Hamas carried out the horrible acts of Oct 7th knowing full well what the repercussions would be. Hamas don't care about most Palestinians either, no more than Israel does.

Hamas doesn't want a settlement (no pun intended) which will allow people on both sides to live without all this violence. I don't know what the answer is, but it isn't what Israel is doing now either. People in Gaza are living in horrendously desperate conditions. There is no 'rooting out of Hamas' that Israel can do which will end the cycle of violence.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Working on the presumption that the task is vaguely related to the day to day. Big stretch based on some companies interview processes.

Would an obvious chat gpt response be fine in your day to day or would that be a problem?

It’s a pretty big shortcut to take so do you want someone who will look for shortcuts to speed delivery or do you need someone who will sweat the details?

Subjective based on what you need to fill would be my opinion.
                                                                                                                        None of the work we do would benefit from it, the test was really to getting a base understanding of their level of competence across a range of subjects, without expecting perfection. Their responses to me showed they knew nothing about it. I also think it’s somewhat disingenuous to use it verbatim as it’s not a reflection of their talent. I had half considering bringing them in for interview and grilling them on their answer but thought that was too crafty, and just X’d them instead.

Comment

Hamas is a pawn of Iran. They couldn't care less about Palestinians, as they've repeatedly proven.

The Palestinians really are an lucky people, 'victims of victims' in the words of Edward Said. They've been most unlucky in the bad choices they've made in terms of their 'allies' (who have mostly either abandoned or used them) and their leaders, such as the grotesquely corrupt Arafat.
                                                                                                                          Picking Iran (ironically most Palestinian Muslims are Sunni) as an 'ally' is just the latest in a long list of very bad choices. Not releasing the hostages is another.
                                                                                                                          The Palestinians aren’t the ones not releasing hostages, accepting your logic above that is the decision of Hamas/Iran.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X