This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Its actually astonishing the amount of bacon-and-egg sandwich merchants out there who think what the average punter really wants is a big pile of unrendered fat in their sandwich. Just don't get it.
    Abe Froman - the sausage king of Chicago gets it.

Comment

Fair play on DalkeyMan for capturing the zeitgeist of the moment.

wqRqqSUl.jpg
      Id rather be in Gaza than at a Dalky residents meeting.

Comment

Is it Christmas yet. Throwback to when all the Dr Whos got together and made a record.

Comment

Fundamentally Michelin stars are about celebrating French food (case in point, just about every Michelin star place in Dublin),
          That’s not really correct. Your entire theory has fallen at the first hurdle.
          Michelin stars preferences fine dining. French haute cuisine is synonymous with fine dining. Most highly regarded chefs are classically trained. Even if they move to a modern international style that training leaves an influence.

That last aspects really explain your “case in point”. In Dublin, only Patrick Guibaud is a French restaurant, the others are modern cuisine. It’s simply that modern cuisine is massive influenced by French (along with Italian, Japanese, SE Asian etc).

Chapter One is much more French influenced that say Variety Jones, whose sample menu looks pretty global. As does Grovers Alley.

Liath looks looks to modern experimental, not French at all.

and as our palates internationalise its hard to be excited about French food, no matter how good it is - it just tastes 'like food'. What we really want our fine-dining to be now is an exposure to new experiences. French food, and therefore Michelin stars, can never do that, so Michelin is really a signpost of an older style of cooking.
          I know you spent a long time in France. So I imagine you were much more casually exposed to French food, at least country style rather than fine dining. But I doubt the “normal dinners” you ate going up very particularly close to French food. Nor the dinners you currently cook too.

Japan has a lot of stars as there is simply a lot of restaurants in Japan. And the Japanese way of doing things, tends to seek perfection. Italy also has a bucket of stars. It’s definitely more of a European thing.

Comment

What do ye use in Australia in the absence of Michelin? I'm guessing Wombats, but you're the local expert.
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I made room service very nervous on my last visit to China "I could murder a Chinese" didn't go down very well

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                Per capita analysis is obviously the way to go and I found the lack of stars (comparitively) for South America, Africa and the Middle East to be strange.
                Less strange when you consider stars to not be for best restaurants in the world, but best in the countries or cities where guides have been published.

afaik, it’s pretty much limited to europe, east Asia and a very limited few cities in America.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Id rather be in Gaza than at a Dalky residents meeting.
                  Dalkey people disgraced themselves for eternity with the fawning over Matt Damon during lockdown
                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

Dalkey people disgraced themselves for eternity with the fawning over Matt Damon during lockdown
                    You dont like him because he was in Invictus. Although it was a bit unrealistic to think Jason Bourne played for the Boks.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

It was the one thing they were absolutely clear about when I did the ref course with the FAI. They said in the interest of fairness, sometimes you can make a decision that might slightly deviate from the rules. Like if a player goes down with an obviously bad injury and an opposition player picks up the ball to stop the game. Don't book him in that situation for deliberate hand ball cos its an act of sportsmanship. Or other similar things like that.

But they said that any use of the word cheat towards an official, and that includes some chap you might ask to do linesman, results in an immediate red card without hesitation.
                      Interesting but wonder if it's actually strictly applied.
                      I mean, with the amount of moaning a Premier League referee gets during a game, i'm sure some player has made a cheating allegation down through the years. And i don't remember any player ever getting sent off for verbiage (at least a straight red) before but maybe i'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Interesting but wonder if it's actually strictly applied.
                        I mean, with the amount of moaning a Premier League referee gets during a game, i'm sure some player has made a cheating allegation down through the years. And i don't remember any player ever getting sent off for verbiage (at least a straight red) before but maybe i'm wrong.
                        I definitely remember one or two although have it in my head that the more common event is for the manager to get red carded?

My son plays soccer in the NDSL and there's definitely a lot of lip service paid towards respecting referees - but it all goes out the window once the game starts.
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I definitely remember one or two although have it in my head that the more common event is for the manager to get red carded?

My son plays soccer in the NDSL and there's definitely a lot of lip service paid towards respecting referees - but it all goes out the window once the game starts.
                          Yeah, managers getting sent to the stands for verbiage happens every so often. Not necessarily for cheating accusations though; just general over reactions, giving out to the 4th official or getting into it with the opposition bench really.

Comment

I'd have thought directly calling a referee for cheating is fairly rare. Can't remember it once in my inauspicious career in Division Z.
                            'Stop fucking listening to them', 'You're giving them everything' or telling a local referee in an away fixture that he's a 'homer' were subtle variations on it which usually didn't even merit a yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                              I'd have thought directly calling a referee for cheating is fairly rare. Can't remember it once in my inauspicious career in Division Z.
                              'Stop fucking listening to them', 'You're giving them everything' or telling a local referee in an away fixture that he's a 'homer' were subtle variations on it which usually didn't even merit a yellow.
                              If the word 'cheating' hadn't been involved, it would have been somewhere between a verbal warning and a green. Probably the former.

'Ah FFS ref, give us a decision' or ''you're giving them everything FFS' are pretty much harmless imo.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                Remember playing a hurling final v some bunch of absolute scangers
                                Two proper fights broke out during the game the first after some scumbag kicked one of our lads while
                                ​​​​​he was laying on the ground. Dirty game. I was marking Vinnie Murphy (Dublin Footballer). He broke my hand the year before after I hooked him twice and then got the sliotar from him in a ground tussle.
                                I shrug him off win the sliotar and he just violently swings into me. Straight red. He had a Dublin football game two weeks later so our club didn't make official complaint so he could play.(not my decision, the clubs)
                                He didn't touch that ball once during the final. Lifted him out of it every single ball the dirty bastard.

Said to the ref during it that he needed to get this game in hand.
                                He looked like he was shitting himself. He looked actually scared didn't even say anything to me just kind of weakly looked at me.

Don't blame him really. Scumbags need to be dealt with in a certain way and he wasn't up to it.

Not an easy job.

Not a poem by the way.

Interestingly (or maybe not) he played for my club in Tralee for a couple of years and with the level of abuse he got on the pitch and from the sidelines his behaviour was immaculate. Maybe a matter of levels of scrutiny or something. He was a good coach as well actually, very good with the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Interestingly (or maybe not) he played for my club in Tralee for a couple of years and with the level of abuse he got on the pitch and from the sidelines his behaviour was immaculate. Maybe a matter of levels of scrutiny or something. He was a good coach as well actually, very good with the kids.

Actually that's good to hear.

We all the blow the top now and again I suppose, me included.
                                  ​​​​​​Maybe the red and putting championship game in jeopardy calmed him down somewhat.

Comment

Actually that's good to hear.

We all the blow the top now and again I suppose, me included.
                                    ​​​​​​Maybe the red and putting championship game in jeopardy calmed him down somewhat.
                                    I was picking up more that he was scared of having the everliving shite kicked out of him by the good folk of Tralee, themselves being not a million miles removed in origin from our fine travelling folk in terms of ancestry.

Comment

The delectable Paige Spiranac keeps popping up on my feed or notifications or whatever you call them. Could possibly due to my search parameters "Paige Spiranac in sexy outfit" "Paige S without sexy outfit"

Women golfers were complaining she was sexualising the sport!
                                      Nonsense I say she's just "celebrating her feminity" and I'm celebrating along with her.

Comment

The delectable Paige Spiranac keeps popping up on my feed or notifications or whatever you call them. Could possibly due to my search parameters "Paige Spiranac in sexy outfit" "Paige S without sexy outfit"

Women golfers were complaining she was sexualising the sport!
                                        Nonsense I say she's just "celebrating her feminity" and I'm celebrating along with her.
                                        Paige is class. Coillcam here told me the other day she was seeing Bob from Bob Does Sports.

she’s not even close to the hottest golf girl/woman though, Karol Priscilla is next level hot.
                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Paige is class. Coillcam here told me the other day she was seeing Bob from Bob Does Sports.

she’s not even close to the hottest golf girl/woman though, Karol Priscilla is next level hot.
                                          Might have to change name to "Bob does Sports Page"

........I'll get my coat

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Two of the most absolute loose canon hardmen that I was ever on a team with were the most absolute gentlemen off the hurling pitch. I'm talking about the lads that will flip in a second and put half a team into A&E. Nothing to do with lack of skill but they were immense rage monsters. Great lads to have on your side if you ever were dragged into a row. The closest I'd say is something like enforcers in rugby or ice hockey.

Genuinely it's hilarious to think of some of the shit that used to go on. I was 16 starting to play junior/senior with some of these guys and I'm glad there were no smartphones back then or they'd be banned for life. The refs had as tough of a job back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

OMFG sez he in agreement .

She's no Leona Mcguire though

Comment

Not the best show ever but a definite bit of aroura to be seen if you look to the north now.

A few seconds exposure looks makes it look more impressive

PXL_20231105_215021188.jpg
                                                Last edited by Strewelpeter; 05-11-23, 22:03.
                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Increased the 12-year-olds pocketmoney to €20 a week (from €10). Is that about the right ballpark point? - for someone in first year of secondary school. Want it to be neither at the top nor the bottom amount among her cohort, just mid-level satisfactory.

Comment

Increased the 12-year-olds pocketmoney to €20 a week (from €10). Is that about the right ballpark point? - for someone in first year of secondary school. Want it to be neither at the top nor the bottom amount among her cohort, just mid-level satisfactory.
                                                    Our 12 y/o gets €5 a week (but pretty much also gets whatever she asks for i.e. yesterday went out with friends to some funfair and got €20).

20 seems excessive, especially if it's just going to be spent on sweets etc?

Comment

OTE=Hitchhiker's Guide To...;n1741762]Increased the 12-year-olds pocketmoney to €20 a week (from €10). Is that about the right ballpark point? - for someone in first year of secondary school. Want it to be neither at the top nor the bottom amount among her cohort, just mid-level satisfactory.[/QUOTE]

And added dimension might be, here's €15 and we're putting €5 a week into a savings account/investment account
                                                      An investment account of some kind would be great if those exist for small amounts.
                                                      Show them the beauty of compound interest etc.
                                                      Get them into early pension fund habits.

Comment

Just clicked on Ticketmaster more in hope than anticipation and ended up with 2 Springsteen tickets for Croke Park. Still some there if people are looking.

Comment

Our 12 y/o gets €5 a week (but pretty much also gets whatever she asks for i.e. yesterday went out with friends to some funfair and got €20).

20 seems excessive, especially if it's just going to be spent on sweets etc?
                                                          Seems to be more €6 Starbucks juice nonsenses and Penneys crap, but I'd imagine sweets play a major role in her life also ah ffs, just wanted to middle-ball it rather than end up on either extreme.

Comment

OTE=Hitchhiker's Guide To...;n1741762]Increased the 12-year-olds pocketmoney to €20 a week (from €10). Is that about the right ballpark point? - for someone in first year of secondary school. Want it to be neither at the top nor the bottom amount among her cohort, just mid-level satisfactory.

And added dimension might be, here's €15 and we're putting €5 a week into a savings account/investment account
                                                            An investment account of some kind would be great if those exist for small amounts.
                                                            Show them the beauty of compound interest etc.
                                                            Get them into early pension fund habits.

[/QUOTE]

I like it!

Comment

Seems to be more €6 Starbucks juice nonsenses and Penneys crap, but I'd imagine sweets play a major role in her life also ah ffs, just wanted to middle-ball it rather than end up on either extreme.
                                                              I would have thought anectodally from other parents that €20 was on the high to very high end for a 12 y/o.

You must be paying the Southside tax. 'tis far from Starbucks juices ye were reared....

Comment

My personal conviction is that Stephen Donnelly will end up going down as one of the great health ministers. He's made thousands of these little changes that all add up to much greater convenience in terms of accessing healthcare. I do realise our nation's curse is to judge the performance of the health system based purely on trolleys in A&E, but thats a trade union thing rather than an actual useful holistic measure of the health system. In general, for actual health outcomes (number of quality years of life after onset of a major illness is a usual measure other countries adopt), we tend to be top-tier.

Pharmacists will have the power to extend prescriptions for up to a year from next March in a move which would cut down on patient costs and GP visits.
                                                                The move was announced by Health Minister Stephen Donnelly today and will take effect from March 1, 2024.

The pharmacists will judge, after assessment, if it’s appropriate that the patient has their prescription – which would normally be renewed every six months – extended to twelve months.

Doctors and relevant prescribers such as nurses and dentists will be allowed to write prescriptions for a patient with a legal validity of up to 12 months, if they deem it clinically appropriate.

Comment

What do ye use in Australia in the absence of Michelin? I'm guessing Wombats, but you're the local expert.
                                                                  From watching Masterchef Australia (poor Jock), I know that they award chefs hats, so they'd say "a 3 hatted restaurant" for a place with the top award. I don't know what body issues them though, probably the Australian Chuzwuzzahs or something.

Comment

Australia has its own Michelin inspired, Good Food & Travel Guide. Same principle, reviews restaurants, if they score high enough they are award 1, 2 or 3 “Chef’s Hats”.
                                                                    Wombats were presumably considered first. But you can’t eat them, so it’s not a great association.
                                                                    Last edited by Mellor; 06-11-23, 10:32.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

From watching Masterchef Australia (poor Jock), I know that they award chefs hats, so they'd say "a 3 hatted restaurant" for a place with the top award. I don't know what body issues them though, probably the Australian Chuzwuzzahs or something.
                                                                      ah yeah they do! womhats surely.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                        Australia has its own Most Chenin inspired, Good Food & Travel Guide. Same principle, reviews restaurants, if they score high enough they are award 1, 2 or 3 “Chef’s Hats”.
                                                                        Wombats were presumably considered first. But you can’t eat them, so it’s not a great association.
                                                                        unlike chef's hats, of course

Comment

Actually thinking a little bit more about it you could dangle a contributory fund in front them.

Give them X and say we will match any contribution you make from your weekly X into the savings account. There is a non negotiable min amount obviously.
                                                                          Year later show them the spreadsheet recorded balance.

Might help with long term thinking and delaying immediate gratification or build a deep seated resentment towards those handling the purse strings

Comment

We really have come a long way since the famine, Dining in Michey star restaurants being de rigueur and drugs being issued to beat the band for what ails ya. It’s great.
                                                                            I had 3 soft boiled eggs some tuna and some Ballymaloe fiery relish sambo for supper last night and was in a jocker all night on the ol loo. I’m not sure which of the 3 ingredients were the culprit but as I sat there on the john with my feet developing pins and needles and deep vein thrombosis becoming a real possibility awaiting the latest evacuation to run it’s course. I was reminded of an Edit Piaf song. No regrets.
                                                                            Yes, tuna, soft boiled egg and fiery relish sambos are worth it. I’m committing myself to self administer another helping of this but not for a few days. My poor arse needs a rest and I may need some vein unblocked.

Comment

don't blame the relish just yet - I think there's a bug going around thats causing arse explosions. There was some UK warning about it last week.

Comment

don't blame the relish just yet - I think there's a bug going around thats causing arse explosions. There was some UK warning about it last week.
                                                                                At Solk's age, he'd be better off to follow the 'eat whatever you like as long as it's coloured beige' approach

Comment

Can’t imagine there are many parents out there giving more than €20 a week!

Think a fiver is enough but can be increased by cutting the lawn, emptying dishwasher etc.

Comment

Speaking of parenting and monetary things, my eldest is close to losing his first tooth. From a quick canvas of a few other people, we have settled on a fiver for the first tooth and 2e for subsequent teeth from the good tooth fairy. Becomes trickier these days with lack of physical money to hand. We're not near the pocket money stage yet.

Comment

unlike chef's hats, of course
                                                                                      Clothing + restaurant = Fancy Chef’s Clothes
                                                                                      Animal/Plant + restaurant = Fancy Chef’s Food

Hence awarding 1-3 Apples would make sense, but less so 1-3 Toadstools
                                                                                      Attached Files

Comment

Speaking of toadstools. This story getting a lot of coverage over here. The whole thing is mad;

No Hats or Stars were awarded to the establishment.

An Australian woman is in custody after the deaths of three people at a lunch she served in July.

Comment

I just came across the fact that the president of Israel Isaac Herzog had a father (also a former president) who was born and raised in Ireland. Well, born in Belfast and raised mainly in Dublin, their house being in Portabello.

Amusingly of that man's own father, who was Ireland's chief rabbi:

Herzog's father, a fluent Irish speaker, was known as "the Sinn Féin Rabbi" for his support of the First Dáil and the Irish Republican cause during the Irish War of Independence.

Comment

Interest rates now expected to start falling in April. An element of relief for those of us coming off fixed rates next year and who don't want to go through the hassle of switching mortgage providers.

Comment

Speaking of toadstools. This story getting a lot of coverage over here. The whole thing is mad;

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-67293752.amp
                                                                                              oh yeah thats getting a whole lot of coverage here too. Whats the running assumption over there about her involvement?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                I just came across the fact that the president of Israel Isaac Herzog had a father (also a former president) who was born and raised in Ireland. Well, born in Belfast and raised mainly in Dublin, their house being in Portabello.

Amusingly of that man's own father, who was Ireland's chief rabbi:
                                                                                                I thought that was widely enough known.
                                                                                                Another little known fact; Chaim Weizmann's (first president of Israel) son settled in Ireland and became, of all things, a dairy farmer.

My mother went to a primary school in Dublin (1950s) that was half Jewish, half Gentile. There was never a huge Jewish population in Dublin and it was concentrated around the Rathgar\Kimmage\Terenure sort of areas. Most of them moved to Israel or Manchester over the later half of the 20th century.

Comment

At Solk's age, he'd be better off to follow the 'eat whatever you like as long as it's coloured beige' approach
                                                                                                  Its better to have a 5 year old BMW than a brand new micra . Vroom vroom .
                                                                                                  .
                                                                                                  I eat like a drunk tis my problem chapter one nonsense be wasted on me.

Comment

I thought that was widely enough known.
                                                                                                    Another little known fact; Chaim Weizmann's (first president of Israel) son settled in Ireland and became, of all things, a dairy farmer.

My mother went to a primary school in Dublin (1950s) that was half Jewish, half Gentile. There was never a huge Jewish population in Dublin and it was concentrated around the Rathgar\Kimmage\Terenure sort of areas. Most of them moved to Israel or Manchester over the later half of the 20th century.
                                                                                                    Do any of ye remember Michael, a young Jewish guy, who played poker back in the mid-2000s? We hung around together loads, ran a few poker tournaments together, but then lost touch after he moved to Manchester. He was saying the issue was there was only a thousand Jewish people left in the country so he realistically had no chance of meeting a partner in Dublin. So the community must be essentially dying away.

Comment

Watched this last night by coincidence

The Referee's A W***er

Comment

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-67293752.amp
                                                                                                        Specialist technology detector dogs, which are trained to look for items like laptops and Sim cards, were at the scene.

I have always been suspicious of the idea of sniffer dogs. Like when they go through a line up of people in the airport or festivals, I'd say it's 99% that the handler just signals to the dog about someone they're suspicious of. And maybe they can pick out kgs of stuff. But sim cards? Yeah sure mate.

Comment

oh yeah thats getting a whole lot of coverage here too. Whats the running assumption over there about her involvement?
                                                                                                          I haven’t really revisited the case since she was charged. I will do once there information is neatly compiled and verified.

But the initial break of information certainly painted a picture of her doing it.
                                                                                                          • Served the dodgy Wellington to her in laws, was first all edged she had none herself. But she later says she did.
                                                                                                          • Deathcap mushrooms are known to grow near the country town.
                                                                                                          • Claimed to have bought the dried mushrooms from an Asian store, but couldn’t remember which one. Unlikely.
                                                                                                          • A food dehydrator was found abandoned near her home. She admitted it was hers and she threw it away after the incident.
                                                                                                          • Her ex-husband “almost died” from a mystery stomach illness in 2022

I wouldn’t rule out a tragic accident, it happens. But her story and behaviour seems at odds with that.
                                                                                                          She’d have to have been a bumbling idiot to concoct that scheme. And that’s exactly how she came across speaking to the media

Comment

Next rugby trip has been decreed to be Lyon (Connacht playing there on 13-Jan) and booked. Rather surprisingly all wives\partners don't seem to care if we go or not so guessing the RWC excess has been fully depreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

I have always been suspicious of the idea of sniffer dogs. Like when they go through a line up of people in the airport or festivals, I'd say it's 99% that the handler just signals to the dog about someone they're suspicious of. And maybe they can pick out kgs of stuff. But sim cards? Yeah sure mate.
                                                                                                              Dogs have a phenomenal sense of smell. They say it’s 100,000 times greater than ours. But it’s probably beyond true comprehension for humans.

Drug detection is pretty well documented. I knew a guy who was stung in a train station years ago. They seem to detect a lot in mail centres and ports. Though at festivals, I think they more a deterrent. The air must be basically saturated, that a few pills up somebody’s ass is nothing
                                                                                                              .
                                                                                                              But there’s lots of other example that couldn’t be handler signaling. Cadaver dogs for bodies, bloodhounds tracking clothes, Etc. I grew up with dogs like setters, pointers, Brittanys. Seeing them tracking pheasants zigzagging through long grass, and just via smell was amazing.

Fair enough SIM cards seems a stretch, but I think tech dogs can actually detect the chemicals from batteries and solid state drives and the like. I wouldn’t put anything past a dog’s nose with the right training.

Comment

What you need for sim card type sniffing detection is a troll. I don't know if any of you saw the Swedish film Border from 5 years ago about a couple of trolls.

Comment

Lets not forget the capacity of Scooby Do for sniffing out arch-villains.

I was reading something about a recent case in New Zealand, but can't remember the details. Someone who was imprisoned for decades and ended up innocent. The point of the thing I was reading was that there was someone else in a New Zealand prison also for murder who had an even weaker case against them, but their problem was that they 'looked' like the type of person who would carry out the particular murder they were accused of.

I wonder with this Ozzie lady does she face a problem that all of our first thoughts on seeing her were: yep, you look exactly like thats what you would do - frumpy, ditched, presumed very very bitter.

Like, just to break it down on the surface: she apparently had this plan to poison family members by finding deadly mushrooms but only thought to get rid of the food dehydrator after the fact? It seems a lot more like the type of thing you would do if felt you were being suspected, rather than if you were actually intending to commit murder.

The area has deadly mushrooms - I'd assume every area has deadly mushrooms. I went through a phase of mushroom foraging and had to give it up as you learn fairly quickly that the default assumption is that every mushroom is deadly.

She claimed to keep the mushrooms in her cupboard but couldn't remember where they came from - we have dried mushrooms in our cupboard and can't remember where they came from.

Comment

Scooby Doo eats a lot of beige food

Anyone see CMAT on Graham Norton. Excellent- a new Irish Superstar.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                      Not the best show ever but a definite bit of aroura to be seen if you look to the north now.

A few seconds exposure looks makes it look more impressive

The views from Connemara over the weekend were pretty amazing - Only saw photos as we were there the previous weekend.

Comment

I give the kids their age in pocket money each week, but its meaningless because of all the other requests for money are also filled.

Comment

shrapnel any food tips for Lyon? Would assume eating something authentic like a pigs head is de rigeur?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X