This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
    The Argentinian election is maybe more depressing than the US one, they get to choose between the minister of finance who has presided over +100% inflation, a man with no idea of how to get things better, and someone nicknamed El Loco, who talks to his dead dog through a medium - https://www.reuters.com/world/americ...on-2023-10-22/
    Was he the guy that brandished a chainsaw at one of his campaign rallies?

I hope so tbh.
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
      @RD3
      Nah, he was out of order and needed a correction.

Generally I'm live and let live and not particularly aggressive. In fact I very often let things slide which some people mistake for weakness or something.
      You should have channeled your inner Jesus.

"Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, and stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

You should have channeled your inner Jesus.

"Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, and stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."

Brilliant

​
        Reminds me I need a good rug to go with my chair!

Comment

Brilliant

​
          Reminds me I need a good rug to go with my chair!
          Once you had finished with him, then you would have had to sagely advise:

"this is what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass."

Comment

"goddamn nihilists peed on my rug".

Can't believe I didn't get the first reference

Comment

Ah it's not in Netflix balls (TBL)

Back to Bodies so .....Time travel detective series

Comment

Was jogging across Rathfarnham Road (right of way etc) some loola on a motorbike (possiblly a rug peeing nihilist) waiting on a red revs his engine hard as I'm passing him trying to get a jump I suppose. Disappointed with my non reaction he waits until I'm a safe distance away and goes "run, ye bollix"

Turn and give him a good old fashioned Clondalkin invitation "over here" nice and loud.. accompanied by a finger and gesturing up the side road for him to follow.

He declined. Pussy. Went home with his tail between his legs.
                Which was just as well for him I think

Thankfully this is a rare enough event and I was half tempted to leave it but just said fuck it and fully ready to back it up.

​I dunno
                He sounds calmer than you are

Comment

Still tailoring the MyEntertainment GPT, but its getting a lot better. I feel theres still a bit to do, by ChatGPT, on the backend as it doesn't quite give a complete answer each time - seems to give up after searching 5/10 websites. This is meant to deliver one fiction, one non-fiction book, one graphic novel, one film, one tv show, one gadget, that have been released within the last month and that fit the criteria of what I find interesting (but also allowing 'surprises' where it randomly picks other good ideas occassionally). Its then meant to go into detail on why the single recommendation per category is a good idea. But maybe it is being asked to do too much and it would be better to have a single one for each of the categories, rather than bundle it all together.

NEXi2z7l.jpg

8mFOl67l.jpg

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Guess my idea here is that it would be great to be able to type - whats new in entertainment and a fully personalised list across all categories appears. Can never really remember all the places to check for things like that, or remember to do it consistently. Presumably these GPTs will eventually have scheduling, where this could be run once a week for you and a report generated.

Comment

Ah it's not in Netflix balls (TBL)

Back to Bodies so .....Time travel detective series
                      Only watched it last week (TBL).
                      Didn't realise it was the Coen brothers.
                      Felt it was kind of a reverso detective movie, but I'll be honest, I've no idea who that guy at the end in the bowling alley bar was meant to be.

Are sasparillas nice or yocky?
                      Last edited by Micknail; 10-11-23, 23:15.
                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Only watched it last week (TBL).
                        Didn't realise it was the Cohn brothers.
                        Felt it was kind of a reverso detective movie, but I'll be honest, I've no idea who that guy at the end in the bowling alley bar was meant to be.

Been years since I've seen it.
                        ​​​​​
                        Great scene though. Remember laughing at Dudes kind of pissed off face and the gravitas delivery of "Dude" by cowboy hat guy.(he's in loads of films can't recall his name)
                        Kind of like a narrator type I guess
                        Or an alter ego character conjured up in Dudes mind Can't remember really

Can't even check - no u tube

Sasparilla
                        Never had one but if there's booze in it..a toast!
                        ​​​​​​

"Heres to swimmin with bow legged women"

Comment

I made a sarsaparilla trip report drink post within the past two weeks. Subscribe now for full access to my back catalogue of soft drink posts.

Also fuck off SafeSearch blurring Google, why do you think I'm in Incognito mode in the first place? Yes that's right, because I just saw an attractive actress in something and she had too many clothes on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                            Guess my idea here is that it would be great to be able to type - whats new in entertainment and a fully personalised list across all categories appears. Can never really remember all the places to check for things like that, or remember to do it consistently. Presumably these GPTs will eventually have scheduling, where this could be run once a week for you and a report generated.
                            Filmd
                            ​​​​​​TBL
                            Hell or Highwater- top class well acted understated excellence
                            The Green Book - brilliant, just watch it
                            Die Hard - yes watch it again
                            Mad Max Fury Road
                            Stan and Laurel - with Steve Coogan

These are all mainstream
                            Sure I have a few in the old memory banks I'll churn out later

Comment

Hitch, can you tell me how to create something with it?

Not sure if you're familiar with parkrun, but it's a weekly free 5k run, mostly in the UK and Ireland but dotted all over the world. Every Saturday morning.

You scan your barcode and your finish token at the end and you get a text and email later that day with your result.

Lots of stats, finish position, age grading, previous best etc.

Every single event has it's own site with a results page.

I'd love to be able to punch in my finishing time and have an app trawl all of the worldwide results and tell me what position I finished in worldwide, what event I would have placed highest in, lowest in etc

Do you think that's possible?

Comment

Night all..time to sleep

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Hitch, can you tell me how to create something with it?

Not sure if you're familiar with parkrun, but it's a weekly free 5k run, mostly in the UK and Ireland but dotted all over the world. Every Saturday morning.

You scan your barcode and your finish token at the end and you get a text and email later that day with your result.

Lots of stats, finish position, age grading, previous best etc.

Every single event has it's own site with a results page.

I'd love to be able to punch in my finishing time and have an app trawl all of the worldwide results and tell me what position I finished in worldwide, what event I would have placed highest in, lowest in etc

Do you think that's possible?
                                  That wouldn't actually be all that straightforward. The system itself allows feeding in any amount of data and processing it, but it seems like ParkRun itself doesn't make its data easily available? (as in, it doesn't make it available in an API format for professionally accessing the backend data, only through websites).

Comment

That wouldn't actually be all that straightforward. The system itself allows feeding in any amount of data and processing it, but it seems like ParkRun itself doesn't make its data easily available? (as in, it doesn't make it available in an API format for professionally accessing the backend data, only through websites).
                                    Aha, ok.

So are you saying you're accepting the challenge then?

Comment

Eight-storey high apartment block too high for the city-fucking-centre. for the luv of all thats holy. https://www.independent.ie/business/...729700800.html

we generally accepted the idea yesterday that it was a good thing to kill a million people for our own purposes, but what about - and hear me out here - we adjust that slightly and also get to select who those million people are - like some of the numpties who are involved in objecting to stuff like this? And remember its not a slippery slope if you label it a fun slide.

Comment

Aha, ok.

ha. I looked up a few reddit posts and they said that ParkRun is a bollix on allowing access to the data. Possibly because it might just be two lads in a basement running the whole thing.

Comment

Eight-storey high apartment block too high for the city-fucking-centre. for the luv of all thats holy. https://www.independent.ie/business/...729700800.html

we generally accepted the idea yesterday that it was a good thing to kill a million people for our own purposes, but what about - and hear me out here - we adjust that slightly and also get to select who those million people are - like some of the numpties who are involved in objecting to stuff like this? And remember its not a slippery slope if you label it a fun slide.
                                          You would think a pub would be happy to have hundreds of potential customers next door.

Comment

Aha, ok.

What you are asking for could be done but it would be minimum 20 to 30 hours of work to get something that would look terrible

Comment

lolspurs
                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Good hike in the mountains.
                                                Nice spot here ..stepping stones across the Owendoher
                                                IMG_20231111_133818.jpg IMG_20231111_133818.jpg
                                                ​​​

Comment

You would think a pub would be happy to have hundreds of potential customers next door.
                                                  What do you make of your beloved Ipswich's run for promotion?
                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Wife away. Daughter at a sleepover. So just me and the youngest. I've been saying to him we'll have a lads day out. Comes today and we end up in the city centre and I go to look up what to actually do. Thought there might be a retro gaming arcade, VR place, arcade game place. Nothing available. Cinema - nothing. We've been to all the museums and they are fairly dodgy anyway.

Tried to make do as best as possible. Corn dogs in White Rabbit. Went to very disappointing The Rage in Temple Bar. Kingdom of Sweets. In the end we decided to get the new Mario game for the Switch and call it a day.

The city centre feels a mixture of the drugland in The Wire and what Kyiv are scared that Kyiv will eventually turn into if the Russians escalate bombing it. It's really really grim.

I just don't get it? Like why wouldn't they have it look a bit nicer? We quite possibly need a mayor who knows they are going to lose their job if they don't make the city look nice as it has been took shocking for too long. But particularly grim at the moment.

Comment

Went into a clothes shop (Benetton) on Grafton Street and all the clothes are wired together to the clothes rack. Lady was saying that people are just coming in and swiping whole rows of coats etc. So you can't even try clothes on now unless you can find someone. You imagine a lot of stores there are having second thoughts about why they are paying so much rent if that's the situation.

I was asking a lad yesterday in Dundrum why the Superdry next to his store had shut down and he said that they had shockingly high level of theft, as they must be particularly desirable(?), so were losing a fortune.

Comment

Went into a clothes shop (Benetton) on Grafton Street and all the clothes are wired together to the clothes rack. Lady was saying that people are just coming in and swiping whole rows of coats etc. So you can't even try clothes on now unless you can find someone. You imagine a lot of stores there are having second thoughts about why they are paying so much rent if that's the situation.

I was asking a lad yesterday in Dundrum why the Superdry next to his store had shut down and he said that they had shockingly high level of theft, as they must be particularly desirable(?), so were losing a fortune.
                                                        Even had that in the shop in leafy Ranelagh.

Some young one (well dressed apparently and didnt look out of place) not only stole a whole pile of kids jeans and T shirts but also stole the rucksack to put them in. Now that's one thrifty robber.

Bring back public canings I say or at least a paddling Stealing the paddle ...You better believe that's a paddling!

Comment

What do you make of your beloved Ipswich's run for promotion?
                                                          We're not talking about that yet.

(although did tell Arsenal-supporting Child#2 that I would take him to a game. Would be fun for that to be at Portman Road.)

Comment

Wife away. Daughter at a sleepover. So just me and the youngest. I've been saying to him we'll have a lads day out. Comes today and we end up in the city centre and I go to look up what to actually do. Thought there might be a retro gaming arcade, VR place, arcade game place. Nothing available. Cinema - nothing. We've been to all the museums and they are fairly dodgy anyway.

Tried to make do as best as possible. Corn dogs in White Rabbit. Went to very disappointing The Rage in Temple Bar. Kingdom of Sweets. In the end we decided to get the new Mario game for the Switch and call it a day.

The city centre feels a mixture of the drugland in The Wire and what Kyiv are scared that Kyiv will eventually turn into if the Russians escalate bombing it. It's really really grim.

I just don't get it? Like why wouldn't they have it look a bit nicer? We quite possibly need a mayor who knows they are going to lose their job if they don't make the city look nice as it has been took shocking for too long. But particularly grim at the moment.
                                                            Do what the Parisians did and dump all the druggies far away from the centre would be a start.

Although I suspect you just had a bad day. Town is pretty vibrant imo, my kids are always in there.

Comment

The young lad was looking to buy a pair of trainers from foot locker in the square. Brought him up and he tried on the first one and it was a good fit so asked to try the other one. Shop assistant says she will get it but he needs to give the one he has on back first. She said it is shop policy due to people running out when they used to allow customers try on both shoes together.

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post

The young lad was looking to buy a pair of trainers from foot locker in the square. Brought him up and he tried on the first one and it was a good fit so asked to try the other one. Shop assistant says she will get it but he needs to give the one he has on back first. She said it is shop policy due to people running out when they used to allow customers try on both shoes together.
                                                                Is that a thing, trying on both?

I've only ever tried on one shoe whenever I've bought a pair.

Comment

Ironically have 2 runners on makes you likely to do a runner, whereas one runner on , ah feck i lost me train of thought . Saw this pic earlier, the Square Opening day 1990.

FB_IMG_1699731321245.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Ironically have 2 runners on makes you likely to do a runner, whereas one runner on , ah feck i lost me train of thought . Saw this pic earlier, the Square Opening day 1990.

FB_IMG_1699731321245.jpg
                                                                    Good pic....gas how fashions change ..hair, clothes,makeup
                                                                    What's Dustin Hoffman doing there though!

Comment

Good pic....gas how fashions change ..hair, clothes,makeup
                                                                      What's Dustin Hoffman doing there though!

Actually fashion stood still from the mid 90s on to today. . As did IQ of the average politician.

Comment

Had an interesting work week. Saw a lot of wealth this week.

On Monday we visited a partner company to talk about among other things, custom designed rugs that take a year to make and a year's salary.

On Tue I visited the ex CEO of O2 Ireland at his holiday home in Dunmore East to solve an issue he had with some automated blinds.

On Wed I measured some windows in Bono's house. Specifically his young lads jam house where they want privacy from spying eyes on boats.

On Thurs I had a site visit in Howth, meeting a concrete and cement magnate at his obscenely amazing hilltop new build with the most fucking amazing view of Dublin Bay I've ever seen, and I've seen many. This property is outrageous in terms of splurge. A real 'I want that, I'm having it' vibe.

Left there to visit a property belonging to a relation of Haughey, built on his lands in Kinsealy. A replica of the 12th hole at Augusta in their front garden. Complete with tee box. Apparently a man cave of man caves out the back. Didn't see that.

On Friday I visited a partner company in Lisburn. On the way in there we drove through murals of Lizzie, loyalist flegs, and a flag combo of the Union Jack and the Israeli standard.

My boss asked them could they rush through a shutters order for an important well known client. I just said 'eh he's famous, has a bit of a social media following' not wanting to fuck things up. My boss however didn't really get the nuance of the sitchiashin and goes 'yeah, he's a well known Mayo county footballer'

They probably spat on it.
                                                                        Last edited by Lazare; 11-11-23, 20:00.

Comment

I have to say I'm very pleasantly surprised by the new mixes of The Beatles Red and Blue albums.

Hearing lots of detail I've never heard before, lots of space, exceptional clarity.

Highly recommended. (On Tidal's 'max' lossless FLAC of course.)

Comment

Had an interesting work week. Saw a lot of wealth this week.

On Monday we visited a partner company to talk about among other things, custom designed rugs that take a year to make and a year's salary.

On Tue I visited the ex CEO of O2 Ireland at his holiday home in Dunmore East to solve an issue he had with some automated blinds.

On Wed I measured some windows in Bono's house. Specifically his young lads jam house where they want privacy from spying eyes on boats.

On Thurs I had a site visit in Howth, meeting a concrete and cement magnate at his obscenely amazing hilltop new build with the most fucking amazing view of Dublin Bay I've ever seen, and I've seen many. This property is outrageous in terms of splurge. A real 'I want that, I'm having it' vibe.

Left there to visit a property belonging to a relation of Haughey, built on his lands in Kinsealy. A replica of the 12th hole at Augusta in their front garden. Complete with tee box. Apparently a man cave of man caves out the back. Didn't see that.

On Friday I visited a partner company in Lisburn. On the way in there we drove through murals of Lizzie, loyalist flegs, and a flag combo of the Union Jack and the Israeli standard.

My boss asked them could they rush through a shutters order for an important well known client. I just said 'eh he's famous, has a bit of a social media following' not wanting to fuck things up. My boss however didn't really get the nuance of the sitchiashin and goes 'yeah, he's a well known Mayo county footballer'

They probably spat on it.
                                                                            Did you ever get yourself some equity in that company? Remember you raising it before.

Comment

Actually thought that was Mary Robinson front right for a minute.

Comment

The shoplifting thing really is taking flight. Should have the lot of them up in front of the beaks and clip their wings imo.

SPOILER

Comment

Had an interesting convo today with a buddy of mine who runs a small start up business in Dublin.

I was mentioning the government grant availability here in Alberta and how helpful it is.
                                                                                  He was saying Enterprise Ireland make grants available but they take equity in return.

I can't imagine that is true tbh, but if it is, it's an awful idea.

That said, and this is without any data, I can't imagine the angel/VC scene is too hot in Ireland (outside of maybe Jamie Heislip and his buddies) so maybe EI can drive those terms.

I am of the mind to believe he is confused/wrong but man, if its true, it sort of says a lot of about goals of EI.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Did you ever get yourself some equity in that company? Remember you raising it before.
                                                                                    No, I don't have any shares as such but my boss is pretty much family, we're as close as brothers. I'm looked after well and always will be I feel.

It's pretty much implied that I have a stake in things, I think it could fuck things up if I went about making that official.

Comment

No, I don't have any shares as such but my boss is pretty much family, we're as close as brothers. I'm looked after well and always will be I feel.

It's pretty much implied that I have a stake in things, I think it could fuck things up if I went about making that official.
                                                                                      You know best.

but.

This is worth precisely zero in 99.9% of situations.
                                                                                      Also, even if it pays off, from a tax standpoint, it'd be bonus/income so taxed at higher rate.

I've countless stories about people with the same implications and assumptions as you getting royally fucked.

It might not matter, and dont let it stress you out but best to assume you get, and are owed nothing in any eventuality to avoid disappointment, frustration and loss of a friendship.
                                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Why not ask? The reality is you don't have a stake.

Comment

Why not ask? The reality is you don't have a stake.
                                                                                          You guys are right, I probably should broach the subject.

Worried about the idea of it feeling like a couple organising a pre-nup.

This dude is genuinely as close to me as blood.

Comment

Open the blinds maaaan - what if he is mauled by one of Bonos exotic cats or gets locked in a fancy room with Ronan Keatings music piped in and had to fatally claw at himself. For a fee i can organise a swag free burglary to see if yer mentioned in his will

Comment

Get down on one knee and ask him about it if you feel the married way might work best

Comment

Thats exactly what it's gonna feel like. Honestly though, maybe it doesn't even matter to you and so, the hassle and awkwardness goes away.

These convos are always hard because, you have obviously contributed to any value creation up to this point.
                                                                                                But had nothing in writing or even verbally agreed for you to share in that value creation.

So any new agreement really has to be "from this point on" - which can lead to bad blood too. Unless your boss is super understanding and is willing to dilute his own shareholder value today retroactively which is also pretty hard both from his mental, and accounting, perspectives.

Then there is the type of agreement and reward, and the tax treatment of such.

It's all very overwhelming and honestly, thats the largest part of the reason people don't ask for this kinda stuff.

I also think Ireland has a pretty archaic view of equity/shares/risk and reward when it comes to this stuff in particular. It's almost like people believe employers are doing them a favour by employing them. Seems an irish trait. Hangover from the brits and the oppression maybe.

or maybe Im talking out me hoop.

Comment

If he's as close as blood he will be fully aware of what your contribution to the business is and should be entirely happy to have the conversation with you.

Put it this way: if you don't ask, you don't get!

Comment

@laZ

Why not formalise something for yourself and your kids.
                                                                                                    Seems to me from your posts you are really committed to your work and enjoy it = big benefit to company.
                                                                                                    Wouldnt second guess it too much. I remember you posting before about leaving the job due to a misunderstanding
                                                                                                    You're passionate about the job and you want to be even more involved in the future etc and you want to build something for your family etc

I'm sure he would respect a straightforward approach.
                                                                                                    (tempered with a bit of pyschology and humour of course)

Ultimately blame RD3 if it all falls through

​​

Comment

I will have to give RD3 the post of the day there
                                                                                                      "You don't ask you dont get"

​​​​​​

Comment

I will have to give RD3 the post of the day there
                                                                                                        "You don't ask you dont get"

​​​​​​
                                                                                                        I've been burnt in the past with (mis)understandings that things were implicit. They weren't.

Ultimately though it's down to Laz. There's an interesting dynamic to the situation that clearly he can only be the judge of.

Comment

Just thinking, who is the newest member who posts regularly here?

I feel like we haven't really added any new members since forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                            Just thinking, who is the newest member who posts regularly here?

I feel like we haven't really added any new members since forever.
                                                                                                            Some of us are continuously developing new personalities.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                              Had an interesting convo today with a buddy of mine who runs a small start up business in Dublin.

I was mentioning the government grant availability here in Alberta and how helpful it is.
                                                                                                              He was saying Enterprise Ireland make grants available but they take equity in return.

I can't imagine that is true tbh, but if it is, it's an awful idea.

That said, and this is without any data, I can't imagine the angel/VC scene is too hot in Ireland (outside of maybe Jamie Heislip and his buddies) so maybe EI can drive those terms.

I am of the mind to believe he is confused/wrong but man, if its true, it sort of says a lot of about goals of EI.
                                                                                                              EI give up to 500k and take 15% in return. They have smaller grants that they just give to everyone with a pulse, but that commercialisation fund is the equity one. Our VC / funding scheme is almost childish tbh, but then again is probably great for Europe - which is a sad sign for where Europe is going.

Comment

Is that a thing, trying on both?

I've only ever tried on one shoe whenever I've bought a pair.
                                                                                                                For me try one on and if I like it have to try the other on.

Comment

That equity thing is a tough one laz. I feel Theresa has hit the nail on the head with the potential awkwardness. But ... to a large extent you are a partner in the firm and clearly would have the capability to run a firm like that yourself. Like the 38 year old lady wondering whether her man is going to put a baby in her or she needs to move on, its maybe about getting to an understanding as to whether you are a real partner in the firm or you need to move on to your own endeavour while you are in peak condition.

Comment

For me try one on and if I like it have to try the other on.
                                                                                                                    yeah sure you need to do a walk around the shop to see how they feel. You're buying the shoes to walk in them, course you have to check their actual walkability.

Comment

Just in case Raoul thinks i dont care

Iceland about to pop an Earthquake a volcanic eruption or both . I am firmly against either .

Comment

EI give up to 500k and take 15% in return. They have smaller grants that they just give to everyone with a pulse, but that commercialisation fund is the equity one. Our VC / funding scheme is almost childish tbh, but then again is probably great for Europe - which is a sad sign for where Europe is going.
                                                                                                                        That is nuts.

Comment

I've been burnt in the past with (mis)understandings that things were implicit. They weren't.

Ultimately though it's down to Laz. There's an interesting dynamic to the situation that clearly he can only be the judge of.
                                                                                                                          Yep, this is it really. There is a very specific dynamic to the situation alright. Noel, my boss, best friend, brother from another mother, is a pretty unique guy. I don't know anyone else like him.

I've almost 40 years experience of him being nothing but selfless and kind and being a solid friend. That friendship and bond has strengthened immeasurably over the 13 years I've been working for him.

Although we've had plenty of rows and arguments we will never fall out, so I feel I'm very secure.

May well have a chat about the distant future though, this whole pre-nup thing is a me thing, in my head. He'd likely welcome such a conversation.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X