Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was speaking more about the military support that enabled the state to existentially exist rather than the origin of the idea. Plus, the US itself claims to be instrumental in the establishment of the practical state - the few decades on from the Balfour statement, and was the first country in the world to recognise Israel.
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I'd imagine the usage of Stephens Green, as the most comparable public space, is measurably vastly more than Leopardstown. Leopardstown is not a public space, and Stephens Green has demonstrated public demand that could probably be valued in the hundreds of millions per year. Same with Dublin Airport - uses a lot of space and some of their benefits are non cash, but can be valued in cash-equivalents in the billions to the economy. There's no reasonable equivalent value equation that can be made for Leopardstown - thats what the report they paid for tried to do and failed miserably at, to the extent that their own CEO had to argue against their own report.

Concert Hall and Abbey Theatre - I presume you are maybe trying to make a class argument here. But its easy enough to dismiss on economic grounds anyway. Sure, The Concert Hall and the The Abbey Theatre mightn't be able to fully justify their real-estate on a pure contribution-to-society model: I suspect they probably would though, but they aren't under-utilising the space by a factor of ten - which is what Leopardstown is probably doing. That that space could be worth 10 times its annual return if it was used for housing.
      Definitely not a class angle (though perhaps a little bit of Pastor Niemoller 'First they came for the racing track').
      But generally my sister has done well out of subsidised arts (worked in The Gate for 20 years) and her youngest kid seems to be following a similar path.
      I'll admit I've never been to The Abbey (it doesn't seem to be a public space either) but looking forward to my first NCH visit for Billy Bragg later in the month.

I still think you're interpreting that report completely wrongly, possibly because of the poor headline.
      The report was literally called Economic Impact of Leopardstown Racecourse, and was clearly just to quantify that - not to come to some clearly impossible conclusion about it being more valuable as a race-track than if it was rezoned for housing. In the article he said "it was commissioned to put numbers on the impact of the racecourse."

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I left the cinema after an hour. Self indulgent pile of wank. Not worthy of any Wombats!
        Was being kind to the old guy out of deference to his career. Felt much the same about The Irishman TBH.
        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I wonder, given the explosive growth of the use of wombats as a measurement tool, if perhaps we need to add a wombat smilie? It would streamline communication and improve synergies.
          F Off.
          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

We are currently overseeing the genocidal destruction of Gaza by Israel. It should be perfectly acceptable to find this completely appalling and arrive at the conclusion that Israel are a virus in that region that the region would be better without.
            That's one interpretation of what's happening.

Comment

ah they don't. They have a past they have to deal with, and can to some extent be proud of because of what it delivered to the Catholics of Northern Ireland. T
              What the fuck did they deliver other than thirty years of murder and mayhem in the service of creating cashflow for a criminal organisation?

he current party are just not that. We need to move on and start being worried about their identity politics approach, which is all manner of problematic in a more subtle way.
              How clueless can one opiniated person be
              ​​​​​​
              The GFA institutionalises sectarianism so we have no choice but to learn ways top live with it... SF are in the business of accentuating the core issue. A SF government in Dublin will set back the path towards a united Ireland by at least 20 years.
              Anyone who genuinely aspires to a 32 county republic that a million British people are willing participants in (as opposed to a triumphalist 'Ooh aah up the Ra' Autocracy that the Unionist people have been ethnically cleansed from) would be an absolute moron to vote SF.

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

It would raise some eyebrows if a senior FG member called for a United Ireland.
              Didn't Leo recently do just that and I'm fairly sure the aspiration towards a 32 county Republic is FG policy.
              Last edited by Strewelpeter; 31-10-23, 19:41.
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

zero wombats strew. negative wombats.

Comment

The sweet hauls from modern halloweens are just outrageous.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

That's one interpretation of what's happening.
                    Thank you.

Comment

Woo hoo a goal in Albania
                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Woo hoo a goal in Albania
                        When it didn't come back on RTE2 I assumed it was cancelled coz of the weather.
                        Caught the last minute on RTE News, and then they went off air without reshowing the goal.

Comment

zero wombats strew. negative wombats.
                          SP : Never , never , never .

Mudder time : This will not concern you.

SP :

Comment

The sweet hauls from modern halloweens are just outrageous.
                            I'm partial to a cold curly wurly . I await the kids bedtime before I pillage the bags. Surely a curly to be found.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I'm partial to a cold curly wurly . I await the kids bedtime before I pillage the bags. Surely a curly to be found.
                              You learn to appreciate the odd person who chucks in a bag of Banshee Bones, just for the snack diversity.

Comment

Banshee Bones are wonderful.

Comment

We need to update the "It's like Beirut" saying. Someone said it there tonight during a group Iwas facilitating when the fireworks were exploding outside.

Comment

Peak Halloween was the year I came across a bag of durian flavoured sweets in the Asia market, disgusting yokes! Was getting dirty looks and comments about 'the time you tried to poison me' from the neighbourhood kids for years afterwards

Comment

I was watching something a couple of days ago and they mentioned the drink sarsaparilla. I heard it numerous times on US things but never tasted it. So I went into an Asian market today and got one. Just opened it there, it tastes like a cream soda if you've ever had one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                        I was watching something a couple of days ago and they mentioned the drink sarsaparilla. I heard it numerous times on US things but never tasted it. So I went into an Asian market today and got one. Just opened it there, it tastes like a cream soda if you've ever had one of them.

Comment

Thought that was an alcoholic drink.
                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                            Thought that was an alcoholic drink.
                                            Maybe confusing it with Angostina Bitters, or something like that? Mentally it feels in the slightly same category of word.

Comment

Actually that was what I had seen, well played.

Comment

Maybe confusing it with Angostina Bitters, or something like that? Mentally it feels in the slightly same category of word.
                                                I thought it was similar to Tequila.
                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

I thought it was similar to Tequila.
                                                  It still bothers me that root beer is a soft drink

Comment

When I was a teen I got placebo drunk on cans of top deck. I was sure it was more alcoholic than it was. Anyone remember it, 1980s I think was the last time I had any. Was a shandy drink, ya could buy it in the shops before they copped on . The damaging effects have lasted a lifetime as a lot of people daily question my sobriety . I drink occasionally now so I’m guessing I’m simply ‘not all there’ but I’ve made my peace with it so I’ve no further need to drink myself into ‘top deck’ oblivion and die in a jacuzzi somewhere . Meanwhile kids are being blown to pieces and lives revalued against the wests scale of importance.

See I packed a lot into that paragraph – I don’t need much paper boss.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                      When I was a teen I got placebo drunk on cans of top deck. I was sure it was more alcoholic than it was. Anyone remember it, 1980s I think was the last time I had any. Was a shandy drink, ya could buy it in the shops before they copped on . The damaging effects have lasted a lifetime as a lot of people daily question my sobriety . I drink occasionally now so I’m guessing I’m simply ‘not all there’ but I’ve made my peace with it so I’ve no further need to drink myself into ‘top deck’ oblivion and die in a jacuzzi somewhere . Meanwhile kids are being blown to pieces and lives revalued against the wests scale of importance.

See I packed a lot into that paragraph – I don’t need much paper boss.
                                                      When I was working in a pub in ballyer eons ago, I once got a loungeboy pissed on shots of cordial while we restocked the upstairs bar
                                                      Placebo effect or not, I'm sure a bottle of blackcurrent concentrate might play a number on your guts later that day.
                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

oh there was some sort of shandy wasn't there? don't remember it being called Top Deck. Maybe ye got all the fancy stuff in Dublin.

Comment

Club Shandy in a brownish can is all I remember. Think it was 0.14% alcohol.

Comment

One for HJ re: Dalio

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                              Club Shandy in a brownish can is all I remember. Think it was 0.14% alcohol.

Comment

No way was it 1.2%. Looks like someone has doctored that photo a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                  No way was it 1.2%. Looks like someone has doctored that photo a bit.
                                                                  That's a label from England(only pic I could find). Wouldn't be surprised if it was stronger here.

Comment

Screenshot_20231101_125047_Chrome.jpg

Comment

Bit of a mad story that 500 hospital beds in South Dublin are perma-occupied because elderly didn't want to be stepped down to nursing homes in North Dublin.

Although I do remember visiting the local The Panelling Centre when designing the kitchen and they said it would be a six month wait. Then I went to The Panelling Centre on Long Mile Road and they said the kitchen could be delivered the following week. They then sent me to the local The Panelling Centre to pick the stuff up.

That river tears us to pieces!

Comment

Bit of a mad story that 500 hospital beds in South Dublin are perma-occupied because elderly didn't want to be stepped down to nursing homes in North Dublin.

Although I do remember visiting the local The Panelling Centre when designing the kitchen and they said it would be a six month wait. Then I went to The Panelling Centre on Long Mile Road and they said the kitchen could be delivered the following week. They then sent me to the local The Panelling Centre to pick the stuff up.

That river tears us to pieces!
                                                                        Is your local Panelling Centre not in Deansgrange?

Deansgrange that is on the same side of the Liffey as The Panelling Centre on the Long Mile Road?

Comment

What's a panelling centre?
                                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Deansgrange that is on the same side of the Liffey as The Panelling Centre on the Long Mile Road?

Was assuming that because it was far away and on the way to my northside work, that it was on the north side. If thats not how geography works, then maybe the decision to quit geography after the junior cert and instead study economics was not, in fact, the right decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                              What's a panelling centre?
                                                                              dublin kitchen place

Comment

Physically true but spiritually no.

Comment

dublin kitchen place
                                                                                  What's a tracker mortgage?
                                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

You need a mortgage to buy a tractor?
                                                                                    I thought tractors were the culchie version of an SUV.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                                                      You need a mortgage to buy a tractor?
                                                                                      I thought tractors were the culchie version of an SUV.
                                                                                      You're thinking of a Chelsea tractor
                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Just back from the few days in Lisbon, great city with just the right mix of old and new. Web Summit signs everywhere but no sign of Paddy.

They're definitely making some mistakes though in terms of over-tourism (like Dublin), tuk-tuks everywhere and some of the more 'guidebook sights' are uncomfortably crowded'
                                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                          Just back from the few days in Lisbon, great city with just the right mix of old and new. Web Summit signs everywhere but no sign of Paddy.

They're definitely making some mistakes though in terms of over-tourism (like Dublin), tuk-tuks everywhere and some of the more 'guidebook sights' are uncomfortably crowded'
                                                                                          Highlights/Lowlights?
                                                                                          Debating a Xmas break here rather than traditional Xmas market spot.
                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Highlights/Lowlights?
                                                                                            Debating a Xmas break here rather than traditional Xmas market spot.
                                                                                            Highlights:
                                                                                            • Oceanarium (and Parque des Nacoes in general, where the 1998 Expo was held)
                                                                                            • Hippotour (amphibious bus that splashes into the river, good fun - the guide tells some good outrageous about Lisbon 'history' that keep people entertained)
                                                                                            • Traditional Portugese food - good sardines and other seafood, piri-piri, pica-pau etc
                                                                                            • Benfica stadium tour and museum
                                                                                            • the museum of the dictatorship
                                                                                            • Tram 28 (absolutely rammed with what looks like hours-long queues in the city centre) but I had a brainwave and went to the other end of the line at Campo d'Ourique. No queues and that makes it the best sightseeing tour of Lisbon, all for the cost of €1.65 if you have a transport card.
                                                                                            Lowlights:
                                                                                            • City centre just feels over-touristed. Go slightly further afield to places like Principe Real and Estrela and these are much more pleasant while still retaining the Lisboeta feel.
                                                                                            • Tuk-tuks everywhere in the centre
                                                                                            • Massive cruise ships
                                                                                            I think if going back for another city break, will definitely check out Porto.

Comment

Decent news this week on the interest rate front - US saying 'whoops, things are on a knife edge', and UK coming out today leaving things on hold for two months in a row. I wonder if we might see rates starting to fall earlier in 2024 than currently projected. Maybe we might see a tentative drop in the Spring. Which would be fairly class for those of us anticipating the end of fixed rates with an element of dread.

Comment

[*]Massive cruise ships
                                                                                                Will be jumping on one from Lisbon in August

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Physically true but spiritually no.
                                                                                                  Neither Deansgrange nor Long Mile Road are any way near high brow enough to be considered Northside

Comment

Neither Deansgrange nor Long Mile Road are any way near high brow enough to be considered Northside
                                                                                                    Foxrock East and, eh, Kimmage West.

They sound leafy.

Comment

Decent news this week on the interest rate front - US saying 'whoops, things are on a knife edge', and UK coming out today leaving things on hold for two months in a row. I wonder if we might see rates starting to fall earlier in 2024 than currently projected. Maybe we might see a tentative drop in the Spring. Which would be fairly class for those of us anticipating the end of fixed rates with an element of dread.
                                                                                                      Those projections aren't worth a shite anyway. A little over a year ago you'd wouldn't have found many economists who would have projected where rates are now I'd imagine.

Comment

Bought myself an Atlantic sub. Feel smarter already.

Comment

The man hasn't been a wet week in Rathmines and he's already insulting the second highest value eircode in the country.

Comment

2nd time in my life they’ve dug up John Lennon corpse for a “new “ Beatles song- this time with an AI angle- new one just as shit as free as a bird
                                                                                                            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Gave a talk to a cybersecurity conference two weeks ago on AI and it seems to have opened the floodgates. Three invitations in two days to:

SPOILER

(not sure on the exact names of all these groups:

National Library Association - on AI for generating research - I plan to wear my sexy librarian t-shirt: "Do you have overdue books? Because you have fine written all over you."
                                                                                                              National Pension Conference - on AI for pension decision making - I plan to wear my sexy finance t-shirt: "Before we do this I have to ask, what sort of tail risk am I looking at?"

and the doozy: The Chief Information Officer of every government department, where I will be co-presenting and giving a demo on how GenAI can help them manage departmental data better. - I plan to wear my sexy information officer t-shirt: "Just relax while we unzip your files.".

Comment

Bought myself an Atlantic sub. Feel smarter already.
                                                                                                                How deep does it dive?

Comment

I've recently lost a boat,
                                                                                                                  care to help me look for it?

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                                                                                    I've recently lost a boat,
                                                                                                                    care to help me look for it?
                                                                                                                    Can you add the hand history ? From what little info i have its A or B

A fold preflop
                                                                                                                    B Move up levels.

Comment

Yiz are all very smart, so yiz are.

Comment

That Jason Corbett stuff seems to be highlighting a whole lot of dodginess in the American legal system. Like a retired medical examiner re-examining an autopsy report of a long-dead wife and confidently declaring it was murder.

Comment

Off to The Four Seasons to play poker - we seem to be moving up in the World.

I saw GAB was on a FT in the Omaha - anyone know if he shipped it?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X