Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - It's the end of the world as we know it

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

    if only Ronnie Drew could see you now.
    You timed it well. Its Ronnie Drews anniversary.

    Although it might get drowned out by the Anniversary of the vastly overrated Elvis Presley.

    Comment


      So are we all loaded with BOI money today?
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

      Comment


        Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
        So are we all loaded with BOI money today?
        All gone as an overdraft no?
        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

        Comment


          Looking forward to when a BOI fuck up benefits some people with actual money in their accounts. I.e. their actual customers

          Comment


            WFH Bonus . Wallabyesssss v the Lionesssssss

            Comment


              Originally posted by Micknail View Post

              All gone as an overdraft no?
              Anyone who thinks they just got free money should be sent to the front lines in Bakhmut imo
              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

              Comment


                Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

                Anyone who thinks they just got free money should be sent to the front lines in Bakhmut imo
                But Joe, I never asked for that money...now my 6 chislers need uniforms and books, this was like a miracle Joe...and now they want the money back, typical banks...and you do know we own them yeah!
                This too shall pass.

                Comment


                  Probably a genius move by the bank. Lump on the OD charges .

                  Comment


                    Presume there has to be some cohort out there with a dormant bank account or something where the bank has no real means to pull the money back though. And where the (relatively) small amount wouldn’t make it worth to pursue legally?

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Degag View Post
                      Presume there has to be some cohort out there with a dormant bank account or something where the bank has no real means to pull the money back though. And where the (relatively) small amount wouldn’t make it worth to pursue legally?
                      There will likely be a number of criminal prosecutions arising out of this. The banks have to pursue these cases to some extent to dissuade anyone trying this next time (and there will be a next time, this is by no means the first time).

                      I mean, there is very little difference between this and walking into a bank and taking money from behind the counter because the teller isn't there. A prosecution would likely follow there and so too here.
                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                        Watching Painkiller. Finding it quite annoying with all the dramatic hokum. Dopesick much better imo.
                        Was discussing fentanyl, and fact that it's not really here with someone recently and they suggested it might actually be a decision by the dealer gangs (if we are giving them that much credit) and that basically market is so big in America it doesn't matter, but here killing off your smaller customer base with fentanyl would be a poor business decision, than keeping them alive longer to sell them crack and heroin. Grim enough but does make some sense.
                        airport, lol

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                          I cant imagine going out for a steak anymore. Why pay €50 for mediocrity when …. I reckon I can cook a steak as well as any restauarant at this stage.
                          I almost never order steak for exactly that reason. But there is a clear step up from a typical restaurant steaks. To the truly top level stuff. Was out last Friday, 6 course menu. Steak course was unreal, fillet with a marrow and veal sauce. Some recency bias here, but potentially best steak I’ve had, definitely top 3.
                          I’d assume it was some version of sous-vide/reverse sear. I’m just not gonna match that at home, we’ll unless I buy a sous vide, obv.

                          Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                          Are the hassleback potatoes worth the effort?
                          They can be average it’d messed up. But done properly basted in duck fat they are worth it imo.
                          A supplier brought me out at Christmas. Splashed a generous amount on lunch. On the side was Hassleback potatoes done in waygu fat, topped with crème fraiche and then caviar.
                          Worth the effort, absolutely.
                          Worth the price tag, I wasn’t paying

                          Comment


                            How’s things anyway fellas? Been accidentally AWOL for a bit.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                              How’s things anyway fellas? Been accidentally AWOL for a bit.
                              We're all rolling in free fiddies from Bank of Ireland.
                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

                                Was discussing fentanyl, and fact that it's not really here with someone recently and they suggested it might actually be a decision by the dealer gangs (if we are giving them that much credit) and that basically market is so big in America it doesn't matter, but here killing off your smaller customer base with fentanyl would be a poor business decision, than keeping them alive longer to sell them crack and heroin. Grim enough but does make some sense.
                                Would have thought the real money is being made in coke?
                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

                                  Would have thought the real money is being made in coke?
                                  I'd imagine between everyone and their mother on the powder at the weekend, coupled with all the addicts smoking crack, it would be the biggest earner here anyway. But I don't really know.

                                  Was just a general wondering as to why fentanyl isn't here, when it's so big in America.
                                  airport, lol

                                  Comment



                                    While not the type of beef that's been talked about here recently, I cooked short beef ribs at the weekend (slow braised for 3 hours) for the main course as part of a 3 course forfeit dinner I had to cook. Served with a red wine sauce, green beans and home made hash brown fries (think Clanbrassil House when Grainne was head chef there).

                                    All washed down with with a few bottles of 2013 Meerlust.

                                    It was one of the best courses of food I've ever cooked. Am still not sure which was better, the beef or the hash brown chips. Every plate came back spotlessly clean.

                                    Comment


                                      Ive tried to do short ribs on the smoker a couple of time before and they've always had a lot of unpleasant unrendered fat left over, even with the internal temp at 95C. Very annoying because the meat is delicious!

                                      Comment


                                        Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                        While not the type of beef that's been talked about here recently, I cooked short beef ribs at the weekend (slow braised for 3 hours) for the main course as part of a 3 course forfeit dinner I had to cook. Served with a red wine sauce, green beans and home made hash brown fries (think Clanbrassil House when Grainne was head chef there).

                                        All washed down with with a few bottles of 2013 Meerlust.

                                        It was one of the best courses of food I've ever cooked. Am still not sure which was better, the beef or the hash brown chips. Every plate came back spotlessly clean.
                                        At this rate, I think the HHE is going to have to do a Come Dine With Me comp.

                                        Just too much choice.
                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                        Comment


                                          Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                          Ive tried to do short ribs on the smoker a couple of time before and they've always had a lot of unpleasant unrendered fat left over, even with the internal temp at 95C. Very annoying because the meat is delicious!
                                          Something I have been doing with beef cheeks, get around 3kg's of beef dripping, local butcher renders his own stuff down, think it was a tenner. Smoke cheeks/ribs for 3-4 hours then place meat and dripping into a large enough dish that can be covered and finished in the oven for another 2-3 hours, same low temps/ Important to put cling film first for a tight enough seal, tin foil then protects the cling film from burning in oven so you get a bit of pressure built up in the dish.

                                          i assume the science behind confit is the fat in the meat isnt rushing to the other environment because its the same so balances out, fat renders down staying within the muscle and doesnt dry out resulting in pretty tender and tasty meat. The cheeks come out like mini irish briskets !

                                          To get the value of the dripping i cooked in it x 3 times, butcher said it will last in the fridge for a long time between cooks if required.

                                          Seasoning is just salt and pepper, 2 pepper to 1 salt.
                                          This too shall pass.

                                          Comment


                                            I like to think of them as mini irish briskets. And cheap as chips, butcher charges €4 each...robbing himself he is.

                                            PXL-20230628-131558053.jpg

                                            PXL-20230628-131638445.jpg

                                            PXL-20230628-164336155.jpg
                                            This too shall pass.

                                            Comment


                                              Funding round number 2 closed and fully subscribed. Onwards.
                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

                                              Comment


                                                Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

                                                Would have thought the real money is being made in coke?
                                                Fentanyl is so potent you can transport a tiny amount across the border and cut it to make millions; it's vastly more profitable than any other drug. A lot comes over the Mexican border in vehicles, but some also just gets posted from China and India.

                                                Comment


                                                  Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                  Funding round number 2 closed and fully subscribed. Onwards.
                                                  I met some guys here in SF who have a startup in the same ballpark as you, they're called Golf Golf and they use machine learning to judge the golfer's swing after recording it on a phone. I thought it might be something you could be interested in.

                                                  Comment


                                                    .
                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

                                                    Comment


                                                      .
                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

                                                      Comment


                                                        Originally posted by oleras View Post

                                                        Something I have been doing with beef cheeks, get around 3kg's of beef dripping, local butcher renders his own stuff down, think it was a tenner. Smoke cheeks/ribs for 3-4 hours then place meat and dripping into a large enough dish that can be covered and finished in the oven for another 2-3 hours
                                                        I can't believe you had a heart attack.
                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

                                                        Comment


                                                          Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                          So are we all loaded with BOI money today?
                                                          Given the rigmarole to activate a BOI credit card this is by no means an unexpected turn of events. It's as if the banks don't actually want to be banks anymore.

                                                          Comment


                                                            FB_IMG_1692217886741.jpg

                                                            Comment


                                                              Trebles all round at Vodafone HQ for somehow getting this into the “Paper 9f record” without a sponsored article tag- thought there were laws against this kind of thing
                                                              I suppose at least Drippo wasn’t in it.
                                                              Irish rugby team adopts ‘game changing’ new tech ahead of Rugby World Cup

                                                              https://www.irishtimes.com/technolog...gby-world-cup/
                                                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

                                                              Comment


                                                                Can’t wait to see all the referee respect at the rugby World Cup not like those nasty soccer oiks, one of my favourite things to see in any sport and according to some on here Rugby is the best sport for it so should be a real Respect-fest in France.
                                                                is that why sexton got off light for his toddler tantrum because of the past referee respect moments?
                                                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

                                                                Comment


                                                                  Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

                                                                  I met some guys here in SF who have a startup in the same ballpark as you, they're called Golf Golf and they use machine learning to judge the golfer's swing after recording it on a phone. I thought it might be something you could be interested in.
                                                                  A good golf swing is Art so A.I need not apply
                                                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

                                                                  Comment


                                                                    Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                    I'm in San Francisco at the moment, the homeless problem is really quite scary, some parts of downtown have a real wire open drug market feel to them. Some of the shops have half their products behind locked cabinets, it's funny having to get an employee to unlock a door to get at the $1.99 toothpaste behind.

                                                                    In other news, contrary to what some luddites here predicted, you see plenty of unmanned taxis driving around. They just got approval to extend the operations. So it's just a matter of politics and regulations before we see them throughout the rest of the world.
                                                                    It’s not really a gotcha for the luddites that ground zero of tech utopian is being used as a testing ground for these things (in the face of significant local opposition due to their doing pesky stuff like interrupting firefighting operations.

                                                                    https://www.npr.org/2023/08/11/11935...%20departments.

                                                                    just also doing a lot of heavy lifting in the above sentence.
                                                                    fairly confident we will won’t being seeing driverless taxi fleets in Dublin in my lifetime
                                                                    Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

                                                                    Comment


                                                                      Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                      I'm in San Francisco at the moment, the homeless problem is really quite scary, some parts of downtown have a real wire open drug market feel to them. Some of the shops have half their products behind locked cabinets, it's funny having to get an employee to unlock a door to get at the $1.99 toothpaste behind.

                                                                      In other news, contrary to what some luddites here predicted, you see plenty of unmanned taxis driving around. They just got approval to extend the operations. So it's just a matter of politics and regulations before we see them throughout the rest of the world.
                                                                      It’s not really a gotcha for the luddites that ground zero of tech utopian true believers is being used as a testing ground for these things (in the face of significant local opposition due to their doing pesky stuff like interrupting firefighting operations.

                                                                      https://www.npr.org/2023/08/11/11935...%20departments.

                                                                      just also doing a lot of heavy lifting in the above sentence.
                                                                      fairly confident we will won’t being seeing driverless taxi fleets in Dublin in my lifetime
                                                                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

                                                                      Comment


                                                                        Florida - pretty epic!

                                                                        Well done Theresa! That's also pretty epic. It was quite short between funding rounds?
                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                        Comment


                                                                          Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

                                                                          It’s not really a gotcha for the luddites that ground zero of tech utopian true believers is being used as a testing ground for these things (in the face of significant local opposition due to their doing pesky stuff like interrupting firefighting operations.

                                                                          https://www.npr.org/2023/08/11/11935...%20departments.

                                                                          just also doing a lot of heavy lifting in the above sentence.
                                                                          fairly confident we will won’t being seeing driverless taxi fleets in Dublin in my lifetime
                                                                          They were given permission to expand operations by the state because they have shown to be safer than human drivers. The local council in SF is fighting to overturn that because they hate everything to do with tech.

                                                                          It will take a long time for them to be accepted everywhere, but that's because it's front page news anytime they are involved in an accident. A girl was killed by a human driven SUV just outside my hotel at the weekend, but your not going to be reading about that in the guardian.

                                                                          I just spent the afternoon cycling around the city, there's lots of the driverless cars about. It's weird at first but you get used to them.

                                                                          ​​​​​​​

                                                                          Comment


                                                                            Its those rider less Bicycles I'm not happy with .

                                                                            Comment


                                                                              Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

                                                                              They were given permission to expand operations by the state because they have shown to be safer than human drivers. The local council in SF is fighting to overturn that because they hate everything to do with tech.

                                                                              It will take a long time for them to be accepted everywhere, but that's because it's front page news anytime they are involved in an accident. A girl was killed by a human driven SUV just outside my hotel at the weekend, but your not going to be reading about that in the guardian.

                                                                              I just spent the afternoon cycling around the city, there's lots of the driverless cars about. It's weird at first but you get used to them.
                                                                              I've never been to SF and it feels like a big gap in 'places you should go'. Recommend - yay\nay?
                                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                                                              Comment


                                                                                Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

                                                                                I've never been to SF and it feels like a big gap in 'places you should go'. Recommend - yay\nay?
                                                                                Trust me . It's a big gap. GO Also the gateway to plenty of HHE places . Not too far away from vineyard hopping.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                  Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

                                                                                  There will likely be a number of criminal prosecutions arising out of this. The banks have to pursue these cases to some extent to dissuade anyone trying this next time (and there will be a next time, this is by no means the first time).

                                                                                  I mean, there is very little difference between this and walking into a bank and taking money from behind the counter because the teller isn't there. A prosecution would likely follow there and so too here.
                                                                                  The last thing BoI want is for these cases to end up in court - the reputational damage is >>>> any financial loss.
                                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                    Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

                                                                                    Trust me
                                                                                    Always suspicious of people who feel the need to use this phrase.
                                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                      good news this morning with son number 1 getting his grades for Edinburgh. Now he needs to convince them to defer for one year as he's decided to take a gap year, work for 6 months here in Switzerland where min wage is around 24 an hour and then travel for 6 months

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                        Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

                                                                                        Always suspicious of people who feel the need to use this phrase.
                                                                                        I have no snake skin in the game .

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                          Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

                                                                                          I've never been to SF and it feels like a big gap in 'places you should go'. Recommend - yay\nay?
                                                                                          Was there for 5 nights on a longer US trip. Went there first as it was the place i was least interested in but turned out to be the most enjoyable stop of the trip.

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                            Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

                                                                                            I've never been to SF and it feels like a big gap in 'places you should go'. Recommend - yay\nay?
                                                                                            It's strange place. Ridiculous amounts of homeless in most places. Down by the wharf is the touristy area mainly. There is a cold breeze most of the summer it seems in the city due to the geography so it might be 65 in the city, but go a mile the other side of the GG bridge and it's 90. It's extremely hilly, not just a small section you see for movie purposes. Driving towards an intersection down a hill when all you can see in front of you is road (no sky) or driving up a hill where all you can see is sky (no road) is cool and unnerving. Wine tours to Napa and Sonoma aplenty. Nice ice cream.

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                              Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

                                                                                              It's strange place. Ridiculous amounts of homeless in most places. Down by the wharf is the touristy area mainly. There is a cold breeze most of the summer it seems in the city due to the geography so it might be 65 in the city, but go a mile the other side of the GG bridge and it's 90. It's extremely hilly, not just a small section you see for movie purposes. Driving towards an intersection down a hill when all you can see in front of you is road (no sky) or driving up a hill where all you can see is sky (no road) is cool and unnerving. Wine tours to Napa and Sonoma aplenty. Nice ice cream.
                                                                                              Did ya drive down this street. Was fun.

                                                                                              FB_IMG_1692264825652.jpg

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                                Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

                                                                                                It's strange place. Ridiculous amounts of homeless in most places. Down by the wharf is the touristy area mainly. There is a cold breeze most of the summer it seems in the city due to the geography so it might be 65 in the city, but go a mile the other side of the GG bridge and it's 90. It's extremely hilly, not just a small section you see for movie purposes. Driving towards an intersection down a hill when all you can see in front of you is road (no sky) or driving up a hill where all you can see is sky (no road) is cool and unnerving. Wine tours to Napa and Sonoma aplenty. Nice ice cream.
                                                                                                Can get hilly towns, wine and ice cream in Europe. Sell me harder.
                                                                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                  Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

                                                                                                  Can get hilly towns, wine and ice cream in Europe. Sell me harder.
                                                                                                  If you need to be sold on SF, then you don't deserve to go there

                                                                                                  It is an amazing place, fantastic food, diverse culture and very cool. Cycling over the bridge and having a fish lunch in Sausalito and taking a ferry ride back to town is a great day out.

                                                                                                  ​​​​​​​Night tour of Alcatraz is fun.

                                                                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                    Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

                                                                                                    Did ya drive down this street. Was fun.

                                                                                                    FB_IMG_1692264825652.jpg
                                                                                                    I stood at the bottom and looked up. Good enough.

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                      Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

                                                                                                      Can get hilly towns, wine and ice cream in Europe. Sell me harder.
                                                                                                      I wasn't trying to sell you. I have no interest in going back to SF specifically, but the best aspect was the drive down the Pacific coast south of SF. Spectacular scenery,. Worth going to the area for that alone imo. Back when 3 week driving holidays were a thing I could do, the states had great routes in abundance and I did a few of them. Loads more that I'll not get to do though, alas.

                                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                                        Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

                                                                                                        There will likely be a number of criminal prosecutions arising out of this. The banks have to pursue these cases to some extent to dissuade anyone trying this next time (and there will be a next time, this is by no means the first time).

                                                                                                        I mean, there is very little difference between this and walking into a bank and taking money from behind the counter because the teller isn't there. A prosecution would likely follow there and so too here.
                                                                                                        I think a better analogy is that they left a pile of money in the middle of the street with a sign beside it saying 'Property of BOI. Please don't take'.
                                                                                                        Should the organisation that triggered the spike in criminality shoulder some of the blame?
                                                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

                                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                                          Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                          Remember Rory Stewart? He's still a thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCSlNrI4nhY
                                                                                                          Very impressive lecture. There are people will listen and understand this and yet will still choose to put SF/IRA into power here.
                                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

                                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                                            Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

                                                                                                            Anyone who thinks they just got free money should be sent to the front lines in Bakhmut imo
                                                                                                            Young fella in work shipped about €1800 to his revolut and bought a ton of shit. 'Got meself some snoop dog tickets'

                                                                                                            Asked him did he not realise he was spending his own money. Are people thick or what.

                                                                                                            He said there was a massive queue for the ATM yesterday and it was cleaned out by the time he got to it.

                                                                                                            He said he's gonna ask the boss can he be paid into his girlfriend's account for a few weeks so he can pay it back.
                                                                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

                                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                                              Originally posted by Lazare View Post

                                                                                                              Young fella in work shipped about €1800 to his revolut and bought a ton of shit. 'Got meself some snoop dog tickets'

                                                                                                              Asked him did he not realise he was spending his own money. Are people thick or what.

                                                                                                              He said there was a massive queue for the ATM yesterday and it was cleaned out by the time he got to it.

                                                                                                              He said he's gonna ask the boss can he be paid into his girlfriend's account for a few weeks so he can pay it back.
                                                                                                              It's only a win for those with BOI accounts they aren't actively using for wages, social welfare etc. Lot's of hearsay about limits of €500 (ATM daily limit??) and €1000 (account limit to allow withdrawals while system was fooked?) and also of people bypassing said limits. Hard to fix on a picture of what the 'exploit' was.
                                                                                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

                                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                                                Somebody withdrew €57k when similar happened at Ulster Bank.

                                                                                                                Ulster Bank has issued criminal proceedings against people who failed to pay back money withdrawn fraudulently while the bank was experiencing a software failure, a court has heard.

                                                                                                                ​​​​​​​
                                                                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

                                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                                  Originally posted by Lazare View Post

                                                                                                                  Young fella in work shipped about €1800 to his revolut and bought a ton of shit. 'Got meself some snoop dog tickets'

                                                                                                                  Asked him did he not realise he was spending his own money. Are people thick or what.

                                                                                                                  He said there was a massive queue for the ATM yesterday and it was cleaned out by the time he got to it.

                                                                                                                  He said he's gonna ask the boss can he be paid into his girlfriend's account for a few weeks so he can pay it back.
                                                                                                                  Girlfriend "there was extra money in my account, bought myself LV handbag yay"

                                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                                    Bought my first records in San Fran 25 years ago in Ameoba records. Ghostbusters soundtrack for the cover alone.

                                                                                                                    Great city back then.

                                                                                                                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

                                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                                      Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

                                                                                                                      I think a better analogy is that they left a pile of money in the middle of the street with a sign beside it saying 'Property of BOI. Please don't take'.
                                                                                                                      Should the organisation that triggered the spike in criminality shoulder some of the blame?
                                                                                                                      That's a terrible analogy.

                                                                                                                      What kind of a gowl knowingly takes money out of their account that they full well know is not theirs and has been placed there by accident.

                                                                                                                      The bank didn't trigger a spike in criminality. Nobody forced people to steal and defraud. People need to take responsibility and accountability for their own illegal actions.




                                                                                                                      Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

                                                                                                                      It's only a win for those with BOI accounts they aren't actively using for wages, social welfare etc. Lot's of hearsay about limits of €500 (ATM daily limit??) and €1000 (account limit to allow withdrawals while system was fooked?) and also of people bypassing said limits. Hard to fix on a picture of what the 'exploit' was.
                                                                                                                      I have a €700 daily ATM withdrawal limit on my BOI account. Am certain it's standard across the board.

                                                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                                                        Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

                                                                                                                        They were given permission to expand operations by the state because they have shown to be safer than human drivers. The local council in SF is fighting to overturn that because they hate everything to do with tech.

                                                                                                                        It will take a long time for them to be accepted everywhere, but that's because it's front page news anytime they are involved in an accident. A girl was killed by a human driven SUV just outside my hotel at the weekend, but your not going to be reading about that in the guardian.

                                                                                                                        I just spent the afternoon cycling around the city, there's lots of the driverless cars about. It's weird at first but you get used to them.

                                                                                                                        ​​​​​​Amazing how far technology has advanced that this is now a valid statement!

                                                                                                                        I could count a minimum of 15/20 errors on any 30 min trip in Dublin Red lights are for pussies - bonus points if you go through at 40mph while distracted
                                                                                                                        Signalling is now optional
                                                                                                                        Tailgating is mandatory and a great release for dickless wonders who haven't been able to get their bully on since school
                                                                                                                        Merge actually means do not let the other guy in under any circumstance as he's obviously trying to steal your slot
                                                                                                                        Cutting in with 2 foot clearance is a sign of a great driver
                                                                                                                        Under no circumstances should you drive into the turn right box and actually activate the sensor which will give you a filter light., No, sit there like a drooling moron for 3 light cycles and wonder why the entire world is beeping at you then and only then break a red dangerously because obviously the light is broken somehow
                                                                                                                        ​​​​​

                                                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                                                          Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

                                                                                                                          It's only a win for those with BOI accounts they aren't actively using for wages, social welfare etc. Lot's of hearsay about limits of €500 (ATM daily limit??) and €1000 (account limit to allow withdrawals while system was fooked?) and also of people bypassing said limits. Hard to fix on a picture of what the 'exploit' was.
                                                                                                                          This could be wrong as it's 2nd hand info but it made sense to me. My current boss used to work for a bank, he said when the ATMs can't determine if you have the money to withdraw, they still pay out and just assume they can chase you for it later. This is normally acceptable to the banks if it's only a few ATMs and only for a short period. For prolonged, large scale interruptions they'll shut down the network, but if it's only a few machines they'll eat the potential downside.

                                                                                                                          It seems a similar thing happened with transfers to Revolut which is a LOT more scalable.
                                                                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

                                                                                                                          Comment

                                                                                                                          Working...
                                                                                                                          X