Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sizeable increase from €70 when I was there last November.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

FYP
      Ha. I'll be back to take my revenge.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
        Sizeable increase from €70 when I was there last November.
        Yeah, I thought it had gone up from when I looked at it a while back but I couldn't remember what the old price was.

I guess costs have gone up everywhere, between electricity and gas over the last year and staff costs too.

I pretty much accept that if you are going somewhere like that (tasting menu) and having a decent bottle of wine, you are looking at dropping between €250 - 350 for a couple.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
          Magnus Midtbo has a video on YouTube of him climbing with Alex Honnold of Free Solo fame. I found this almost more nerve racking to watch than Alex climbing because while Magnus is a world-class climber it is all indoor or harnessed climbing and he does no free soloing stuff.

He asks Alex who he normally does this climbing with these days and he says just himself as his partners have moved on from it or are dead!

I love the less than 1% chance of death "reassurance" comment

Eh....exactly how much less pray tell?

Comment

Yea still good value at that price, if value still exists as a concept!

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
              €18.50 for a basic lunch in Nandos. Need to stop leaving the house.
              It's all about scale there.
              I can feed a family of three with leftovers for €30 easily.
              Also earning free meals is easy with the app
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Was disappointed to hear Luna is gone.
                Quite enjoyed the tasting menu there last time out.
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Using this thread for its original purpose...A few short of the bubble in an $11 sat into the $215 WCOOP. Puke!

Comment

David McCallum of The Man from UNCLE fame has died. I''m sure there are few on here who were fans of the original series (as I was).
                    Actor who found fame playing Illya Kuryakin in the 1960s television series The Man from UNCLE

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                      David McCallum of The Man from UNCLE fame has died. I''m sure there are few on here who were fans of the original series (as I was).
                      Only heard Dr Dre sampled one of his composition. Didnt even know he was a musician also.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Ha. I'll be back to take my revenge.
                        Many a punter at bookies closing time .

Comment

Comment

Using this thread for its original purpose...A few short of the bubble in an $11 sat into the $215 WCOOP. Puke!

https://www.pokerstarsreplayer.com/hands/9172fb5e64
                            Gross

Comment

lol... well I did not know that!. Just goes to show even a relative show off like me is never too old to learn!

I know David Axelrod alright, oft sampled composer, but never knew McCallum recorded.

Shouldn't be that much of a surprise though, lots of movie/tv/music crossover LPs back then. They were pretty standard and I'm partial to them - Our Man Flint, The Six Million Dollar Man, The Muppet Show, Dr. Who, Atari Soundtracks, kids records, 60s British comedy records (Hancock, Carry On etc... etc...)

Interestingly (for me anyway) an original 60s The Man From Uncle LP can be picked up for around a tenner but an original soundtrack from the 2015 movie will set you back about a 100 euro.

Also I know that guy telling the story in the video - he runs a record shop in North Carolina and has an amazing personal collection. Runs a decent shop too.

Comment

Question for the BBV. Bought a house, it's a new build but need to get flooring in all the non tiled areas(kitchen, bathrooms and utility are tiled). Any recommendations on the type of flooring? Looking at laminate, vinyl or engineered hardwood. Seeing pros and cons of each.

Comment

lol... well I did not know that!. Just goes to show even a relative show off like me is never too old to learn!

I know David Axelrod alright, oft sampled composer, but never knew McCallum recorded.

Shouldn't be that much of a surprise though, lots of movie/tv/music crossover LPs back then. They were pretty standard and I'm partial to them - Our Man Flint, The Six Million Dollar Man, The Muppet Show, Dr. Who, Atari Soundtracks, kids records, 60s British comedy records (Hancock, Carry On etc... etc...)

Interestingly (for me anyway) an original 60s The Man From Uncle LP can be picked up for around a tenner but an original soundtrack from the 2015 movie will set you back about a 100 euro.

Also I know that guy telling the story in the video - he runs a record shop in North Carolina and has an amazing personal collection. Runs a decent shop too.

I'm disappointed i had to hear this from someone else Benny . I dont know whats real anymore .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I'm disappointed i had to hear this from someone else Benny . I dont know whats real anymore .
                                    Sorry homie! I'm kinda old now and its hard to keep up with the sampling culture.

But did you know that our very own Gilbert O'Sullivan was responsible for changing the course of hip-hop (and sampling) history when he sued (and won against) rapper Biz Markie after Markie sampled O'Sullivan's song "Alone Again (Naturally)". The court ruled that sampling without permission constitutes copyright infringement. The judgment changed the hip hop music industry, requiring that any future music sampling be approved by the original copyright owners.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_...20infringement.

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                      Question for the BBV. Bought a house, it's a new build but need to get flooring in all the non tiled areas(kitchen, bathrooms and utility are tiled). Any recommendations on the type of flooring? Looking at laminate, vinyl or engineered hardwood. Seeing pros and cons of each.
                                      balfejohn has a little buzzer that goes off anytime someone mentions hardware in here so he'll be along shortly.

Comment

If you have kids and/or dogs, get laminate.

Comment

Sorry homie! I'm kinda old now and its hard to keep up with the sampling culture.

But did you know that our very own Gilbert O'Sullivan was responsible for changing the course of hip-hop (and sampling) history when he sued (and won against) rapper Biz Markie after Markie sampled O'Sullivan's song "Alone Again (Naturally)". The court ruled that sampling without permission constitutes copyright infringement. The judgment changed the hip hop music industry, requiring that any future music sampling be approved by the original copyright owners.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_...20infringement.
                                          Lol. I didn't know Gilbert O'Sullivan was Irish
                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

I have white oak herringbone floors (I imagine laminate but don't know) and they are very nice to look at, but they also handled a flood from the ceiling above well with no damage at all (cleaned it up fairly fast). Seem pretty durable and well rated.

Edit, actually here is what the look like
                                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 26-09-23, 21:09.

Comment

Went to see Ballywalter yesterday. Lovely little movie. Hope the Late Late gig doesn't cause Kielty to turn down movie offers. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5978274...nm_5_q_balllyw
                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

One retired & three active carpenters in the family and they’d maintain a mid-spec laminate is the way to go esp with kids as RD3 mentions.

Always worth buying an extra box too as its sometimes hard to exactly match colours if something needs to be replaced in the future.

Comment

100% laminate. Quality is excellent now. Very easy for the person to fit also, so you save on that.
                                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

In Library St tonight to celebrate attaining the grand old age of 46. Found myself a wee bit bored by all the food tbh, even though it was objectively excellent. Town looked lovely though. Keep forgetting there is a whole town in there right at the doorsteps.

Mad keen to try that sushi place in Smithfied that everyone is raving about.

Comment

Can guide you on all flooring types but would lean towards the laminate or a new vinyl flooring we have in stock now
                                                      its fully waterproof and a nice array of colours
                                                      I will drop you a message and give u some extra details
                                                      best of luck with the new house

Comment

Quickstep Impressive Ultra is what we got everywhere and its very good.

Comment

One thing to remember with flooring is that you should remember to get a floor protector if you have a chair with wheels for computer (or other) use. Not as important with laminate, but proper wood floors and carpet areas it's good to stop damage. Basically just a hard mat really.

Comment

https://www.pokerstarsreplayer.com/hands/9172fb5e64
                                                            Never played that game but not that hard to figure out he was some lucky pox!

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Never played that game but not that hard to figure out he was some lucky pox!
                                                              More a cooler than a pox really.

Comment

Its a great game but has the highest standard deviation of any limit game so the variance is fairly horrid. 200 big bet downswings not uncommon.

Edit: @6 star...he was probably sub 10% when drawing 2 vs my hand on the second draw.

Comment

Its a great game but has the highest standard deviation of any limit game so the variance is fairly horrid. 200 big bet downswings not uncommon.

Edit: @6 star...he was probably sub 10% when drawing 2 vs my hand on the second draw.
                                                                  OK, I didn't really see the hand progression, just the outcome. I know pretty much nothing about the game anyway. Do straights count or did he have the nut low there?

Comment

Google killing Google Podcasts app soon
                                                                    Anything out there with similar functionality?
                                                                    I just need to be able to auto-queue / download new episodes of subscribed Pods.
                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

OK, I didn't really see the hand progression, just the outcome. I know pretty much nothing about the game anyway. Do straights count or did he have the nut low there?
                                                                      He made the nuts...straight and flushes are bad. There was a hand in the WSOP 50K PPC a few years ago which is regarded as the worst beat ever televised...The losing hand was something like 99.8% to win. It was made all the better by Nick Schulman in commentary casually mentioning it as a possibility at the start of the hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                        Google killing Google Podcasts app soon
                                                                        Anything out there with similar functionality?
                                                                        I just need to be able to auto-queue / download new episodes of subscribed Pods.
                                                                        I use Pocket Casts.

Comment

Vinyls are very easier to fit, even if you are bad at DIY. They are flexible and fully waterproof. But they are, at the end of the day, a piece of plastic moulded with a wooden pattern. Good for the bathroom.

Laminates have come a long way. Cheap laminates can look terrible, but the high spec can look pretty realistic these days. Not great in wet areas though. The finish is printed on
                                                                          a paper layer, with a clear scratch coat on top. So a bit scratch resistant, but if the top layer gets chips or scratched it’s pretty fucked.

Engineered floors are real wood, not a print. Basically a 3-8mm finish layer over a plywood base. As with the others comes with a range of grades. Water resistant enough for kitchens, but not a bathroom. Different species and finishes (oil vrs lacquer) will be harder/softer and scratch and indent more or less over time.
                                                                          Marks are less of an issues though as it’s exposes real wood not a plastic/MDF core. But one major benefit of engineered is that is can be sanded back and reoiled a couple of times.

I’d rarely use anything other than engineered on commercial or high end residential projects. IMO its is superior in terms of absolute quality. But that comes at a higher premium. Higher spec laminates are perfectly fine also, and as they are cheaper they are probably best value overall.

Kind of depends how you rank value, quality, lifespan etc.

Comment

+1 for Pocketcasts. Great app.
                                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                                              One thing to remember with flooring is that you should remember to get a floor protector if you have a chair with wheels for computer (or other) use. Not as important with laminate, but proper wood floors and carpet areas it's good to stop damage. Basically just a hard mat really.
                                                                              Most office chairs come with hard plastic wheels for thin carpet tiles. A protector in a home office area is one option. You can also swap the wheels to rubber castors.

Modt of the premium office chairs could with rubber as an option. Splashing out on a fancy chair was very covid season 2.
                                                                              Last edited by Mellor; 27-09-23, 12:17.

Comment

Nerdy interlude. Pretty much any instrumental associated to McCallum is the work of David Axelrod. Particularly the oft-cited The Edge. It's quintessential Axelrod.

Favourite McCallum/Axelrod (as sampled by DJ Shadow for Dark Days): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZLo1O1rGhM

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

Nerdy interlude. Pretty much any instrumental associated to McCallum is the work of David Axelrod. Particularly the oft-cited The Edge. It's quintessential Axelrod.

Favourite McCallum/Axelrod (as sampled by DJ Shadow for Dark Days): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZLo1O1rGhM
                                                                                  As am amateur nerd in comparison; I do hope this leads to 'dare i say it' a rabbit hole of musik trivia hither to unknown by myself.

My fav titbit was the las Ketchup song being about the Sugar Hill Gangs song Rappers delight .

Comment

As am amateur nerd in comparison; I do hope this leads to 'dare i say it' a rabbit hole of musik trivia hither to unknown by myself.

My fav titbit was the las Ketchup song being about the Sugar Hill Gangs song Rappers delight .

Did you know that Toxic by Britney Spears was written about TV 'Supervet' Noel Fitzpatrick?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

Did you know that Toxic by Britney Spears was written about TV 'Supervet' Noel Fitzpatrick?
                                                                                      I did not , nor do I know Supervet . I know SuperTramp and Supergrass .

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

I use Pocket Casts.
                                                                                        Shite, i have scope creep!

Does this sync with a web player?
                                                                                        Like I listen via my phone on dogwalks, and then I want to continue the podcast on my laptop at my desk?
                                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Didn’t know what the Ketchup song was about. But the chorus being a Spanglish rip on Rappers Delight was the only part that I could ever make out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                            Didn’t know what the Ketchup song was about. But the chorus being a Spanglish rip on Rappers Delight was the only part that I could ever make out.
                                                                                            I never even thought about it until i heard it back. Was amused to think of the rappers doingv he hei hey. Now i like it more .

Comment

Random one for anyone here that's free for a gig tonight. Mrs has to work late and won't make it in. So have a free ticket to see Black Stone Cherry in the Academy. Pre gig pints also if anyone wants it

Comment

My poor oul lad took a fall while out walking a couple days ago, broke his arm high up in the humerus, nothing funny about it yayayaya. He walked himself home. Nothing brings home that your oul lad is getting old more than gnarly injuries in innocuous situations.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

‘Every bottle has a story’: most valuable wine collection ever sold could fetch £41m

Billionaire Pierre Chen selling 25,000 bottles including burgundies valued at £156,000 and a very rare 1982 Pétrus

Comment

‘Every bottle has a story’: most valuable wine collection ever sold could fetch £41m
                                                                                                    Bet half of them are corked.
                                                                                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Bah, covid has returned. Just tested positive.

FU guy who was coughing away beside me on the return flight on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                        Random one for anyone here that's free for a gig tonight. Mrs has to work late and won't make it in. So have a free ticket to see Black Stone Cherry in the Academy. Pre gig pints also if anyone wants it
                                                                                                        Hope you got one, they are a very good band.

Comment

Pensions:

I have a private pension with New Ireland via a FA/broker. Looking at some of the funds I'm in and the annual fees. Some examples:
                                                                                                          • Alternative Energy Fund: 0.16% entry fees, 2.15% mgmt fees, and 0.50% 'transaction fees' so 2.65%pa
                                                                                                          • Technology Indexed Fund: 0.16% entry fees, 1.83% mgmt fees, and 0.15% 'transaction fees' ~2%pa
                                                                                                          • + a few more similar ones
                                                                                                          There are also exit costs but they're N/A if you leave the funds there for 7 years so I'll ignore for now.

Are these fees standard? Or is it that New Ireland are expensive here?

Before I max out my 2022 threshold for tax back, are there cheaper alternatives (that are still high on the risk scale)?

Thanks in advance
                                                                                                          Last edited by thechamp87; 27-09-23, 21:31.

Comment

How has this not stood the Irish Hall of Fame test of time. Just that opening line alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                              Bah, covid has returned. Just tested positive.

FU guy who was coughing away beside me on the return flight on Sunday.
                                                                                                              Am I the only person in the world that never had COVID ?

Comment

Originally posted by limpwhacker View Post

Am I the only person in the world that never had COVID ?
                                                                                                                Hitler also never got covid.

Comment

How did we get to the point where when you search for something on amazon you need to identify the one actual result hidden among the 20 sponsored results that actually matches your search. Like, its a beyond shite service.

And, on that note, Android is just brutal with its ads on websites. I obv block everything on the laptop, but doesn't seem to work on mobile. So you'll be reading a story and have to scroll past loads of long intrusive ads. Are iPhones different - as in, would they have the same ad shite you need to scroll through on websites, or maybe they automatically block those ads.

* old-man-yells-at-cloud-(computing).gif

Comment

How did we get to the point where when you search for something on amazon you need to identify the one actual result hidden among the 20 sponsored results that actually matches your search. Like, its a beyond shite service.

And, on that note, Android is just brutal with its ads on websites. I obv block everything on the laptop, but doesn't seem to work on mobile. So you'll be reading a story and have to scroll past loads of long intrusive ads. Are iPhones different - as in, would they have the same ad shite you need to scroll through on websites, or maybe they automatically block those ads.

* old-man-yells-at-cloud-(computing).gif
                                                                                                                    Firefox for Android has uBlock Origin as an add-on.
                                                                                                                    Seems to work ok for me anyway.
                                                                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Firefox for Android has uBlock Origin as an add-on.
                                                                                                                      Seems to work ok for me anyway.
                                                                                                                      ah cool. Is there a handy way to move all your passwords stored on chrome to firefox, would you know?

Comment

ah cool. Is there a handy way to move all your passwords stored on chrome to firefox, would you know?
                                                                                                                        Erm, well you can sign in with your google account to the firefox browser, and turn on sync?
                                                                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Erm, well you can sign in with your google account to the firefox browser, and turn on sync?

Academics what?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X