Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those upcoming Taylor Swift concerts in Dublin would be a MASSIVE scalping opportunity of anyone so inclined.
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Just heard someone say their plan was not set in stone and starting lolling with nostalgia
      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Up at 2:45am for a flight to Zagreb, work trip.

We're visiting a partner company in Ljubljana Slovenia tomorrow.

Collected at 3.30, picked up another two guys on the way. All grand and relaxed through security. Had a nice coffee at the gate, plenty of time.

I'm last out of our group to board and I pull out my passport. Notice about two seconds before she takes it off me that it expired in 2017.

Fooooooook.

Can't get on, obv.

Mad scramble then to try organise a later flight, my boss trying to do it all while he's sitting on his plane.

Organise a taxi to go to my gaff, but I can't get my wife on the phone, on silent. Your man texts to say he has the wrong address but can't get him on the phone to bang on the door.

He finally knocks on the right door but tells my wife he's there to collect my boss' passport. He's a clusterfuck too so she tells him he's at the wrong house and he should be 15km away. She then goes back in and sees my messages and missed calls and thankfully catches your man with my passport.

Still haven't managed to book the next flight but it's 90 mins away. Boss sends a text to say his wife is organising as he's taking off. Mayhem.

She's having difficulties but between the two of us we manage it.

€840 for the flight. Am sitting here about to take off to Heathrow with a connect to Ljubljana.

Had a chance to prebook a ham and cheese panini on the Ryanair Zagreb flight and passed on it, so that's a win
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
          Up at 2:45am for a flight to Zagreb, work trip.

We're visiting a partner company in Ljubljana Slovenia tomorrow.

Collected at 3.30, picked up another two guys on the way. All grand and relaxed through security. Had a nice coffee at the gate, plenty of time.

I'm last out of our group to board and I pull out my passport. Notice about two seconds before she takes it off me that it expired in 2017.

Fooooooook.

Can't get on, obv.

Mad scramble then to try organise a later flight, my boss trying to do it all while he's sitting on his plane.

Organise a taxi to go to my gaff, but I can't get my wife on the phone, on silent. Your man texts to say he has the wrong address but can't get him on the phone to bang on the door.

He finally knocks on the right door but tells my wife he's there to collect my boss' passport. He's a clusterfuck too so she tells him he's at the wrong house and he should be 15km away. She then goes back in and sees my messages and missed calls and thankfully catches your man with my passport.

Still haven't managed to book the next flight but it's 90 mins away. Boss sends a text to say his wife is organising as he's taking off. Mayhem.

She's having difficulties but between the two of us we manage it.

€840 for the flight. Am sitting here about to take off to Heathrow with a connect to Ljubljana.

Had a chance to prebook a ham and cheese panini on the Ryanair Zagreb flight and passed on it, so that's a win

Was getting stressed just reading that!!
          ​​​​​​Have a good trip and breeeaaathe!

Comment

ha. Ljubljana is one of the nicest cities in the world, so it'll be worth it when you get there. Very bumpy flight going over the alps though, mad airflow flowing off the alps near the descent

Comment

Anyone any experience of putting kids through LC grinds in the Dublin area?
              Was talking about it with Mrs D3 last night and reckon it would certainly sharpen up Child #1, who could certainly do with some better focus and application as she heads into the LC cycle in Sept.

The school, while excellent in many ways, doesn't push the academic side as hard as we would like and kids can coast through, which obviously will fuck them up when it comes to LC points so want to head that off at the pass with some targeted grinds.
              Child #2, who's heading into 3rd year, is definitely in the 'smart but lazy' category and reckons school is an extension of his daily entertainment schedule so might need to send him down the same route.

Basically just looking for any tips\experience etc that others may have had.

The nuclear option is obv to take them out of current school and send to somewhere like the Institute for secondary but that seems drastic. Bottom line however is that they have to get a decent enough LC (such that they can go onto professional careers and get out of my house asap ).
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Am now a registered fan of TaylorNation in order to get early access to her Dublin concert tickets (for the daughter, not for scalping!) #TeamSwift #TaylorsVersion #Swifties

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                  Was talking about it with Mrs D3 last night and reckon it would certainly sharpen up Child #1, who could certainly do with some better focus and application as she heads into the LC cycle in Sept.

The school, while excellent in many ways, doesn't push the academic side as hard as we would like and kids can coast through, which obviously will fuck them up when it comes to LC points so want to head that off at the pass with some targeted grinds.
                  Child #2, who's heading into 3rd year, is definitely in the 'smart but lazy' category and reckons school is an extension of his daily entertainment schedule so might need to send him down the same route.

The nuclear option is obv to take them out of current school and send to somewhere like the Institute for secondary but that seems drastic. Bottom line however is that they have to get a decent enough LC (such that they can go onto professional careers and get out of my house asap ).
                  Don't have a specific answer to your question, but loads of people are now doing the PLC-then-Uni route. I'd say we might do the same if we don't go the Dutch uni route. Take them out of the points race altogether. Its unnecessary stress and a pointless endeavour.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Don't have a specific answer to your question, but loads of people are now doing the PLC-then-Uni route. I'd say we might do the same if we don't go the Dutch uni route. Take them out of the points race altogether. Its unnecessary stress and a pointless endeavour.
                    'Top Irish Uni prof says don't bother your hole with the LC' shocker

Funny, I was discussing 'the Dutch route' with Child #1 the other day. In a 'did you know this?' type way.
                    Obviously being her father, I am the biggest idiot in the world, so it was publicly discounted but I caught her discussing it with her (German) friend the next day so maybe a seed has been planted, we shall see.

In any case, even the lessons learned of focus, discipline and sheer hard work to get a good LC would have to stand to you in the long term imo.

Comment

'Top Irish Uni prof says don't bother your hole with the LC' shocker

Funny, I was discussing 'the Dutch route' with Child #1 the other day. In a 'did you know this?' type way.
                      Obviously being her father, I am the biggest idiot in the world, so it was publicly discounted but I caught her discussing it with her (German) friend the next day so maybe a seed has been planted, we shall see.

In any case, even the lessons learned of focus, discipline and sheer hard work to get a good LC would have to stand to you in the long term imo.
                      ha. Now in fairness I'm only mentally playing around with the PLC idea, but have heard of a few fairly clued in, smarter than me, people now actively considering or actually doing this route, so there's some sort of change out there. You get a nice first year with the PLC, low stress, small classrooms, and then a guaranteed entry to the course of your choice. Its a really good deal as Harris is massively investing in the route at the moment so it is excessively funded.

Comment

Last year I was involved in setting the CAO points. We had a student be allocated to one of our 625-point courses (max LC points) and we were her fourth choice. So she had missed out on places in her first three choices despite having the maximum points. Business is not a maximum point choice, its a fairly straightforward extension of LC learning. Its a fucking joke, the points race makes no sense. Having said that, I fully acknowledge the general life benefits of sitting down to do something and learning to stick at it.

Comment

I'm pretty sure nobody does any work in school anymore, so don't worry about it.

Had a student from a 465 point course email last weekend wondering if he had to repeat a certain exam because he couldn't remember if he'd done it or not.

Comment

On the plus side, final child had her 'graduation' ceremony from primary school today. Wrote a poem and read it out for the assembled multitudes (don't think I would have done that aged 11).

Twelve years of continuous primary schooling just about done.

Comment

Has she any idea what she might want to do after the LC?

If I had my time again I'd do something different. I don't know what, but something. Maybe landscaping, horticulture, a vet or something. I have no interest in any of those, but I'd imagine for those that are in it there is a good career in there that wouldn't be as soul destroying as financial services. Maybe she could apply for some train driving jobs?

Comment

With all this school talk, now seems like a good time to mention I got accepted into Trinity for my teaching masters.

Dropped out of school at 16. Missed out on DCU by 1 point this year after passing everything. Passed interviews for Trinity. Weird route to get there but looking forward to it.

Comment

On the plus side, final child had her 'graduation' ceremony from primary school today. Wrote a poem and read it out for the assembled multitudes (don't think I would have done that aged 11).

Twelve years of continuous primary schooling just about done.
                                  She's 11 and finished primary school? That's very young. I didn't think they could actually start that young these days? I thought most places had a "turn 4 by end of March" type policy.

Comment

Also Raoul Duke III, PM sent.

Comment

Think I got like 200 points or something in my LC..didn’t hold me back much
                                      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

I was someone who in hindsight had a good LC but had very lax parents…. Which i loved at the time but in hindsight wished they pushed me a bit more as i definitely left points on the table.

In saying that, the LC or college/university and getting the ‘best’ job possible shouldn’t be seen as the be all and end all. Alot of kids are pushed towards college when they are not suited to it.

There is already a shortage of good tradespeople and being a plumber/carpenter etc shouldn’t be looked down upon as the shortage will probably continue to grow. Can be very decent money in it too.

Don’t have kids but if i did i think i’d definitely be stricter than my parents while also subtly encouraging them down a trade route if they had aptitude for it and wasn’t a whizzkid!

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Has she any idea what she might want to do after the LC?

If I had my time again I'd do something different. I don't know what, but something. Maybe landscaping, horticulture, a vet or something. I have no interest in any of those, but I'd imagine for those that are in it there is a good career in there that wouldn't be as soul destroying as financial services. Maybe she could apply for some train driving jobs?
                                          I'd say she would take after the mother more than the father.
                                          You have met both and would no doubt agree that is a very good thing indeed.

Teaching, social work, something in that ballpark. Although train driving clearly would be the first pick.

Comment

She's 11 and finished primary school? That's very young. I didn't think they could actually start that young these days? I thought most places had a "turn 4 by end of March" type policy.
                                            She'll be 12 in a week's time.
                                            She is the youngest in her class, so started at 4 years, 2 months which you wouldn't get away with any more - think you are correct in saying that you have to be 5 before end April in the year of admission.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                              Think I got like 200 points or something in my LC..didn’t hold me back much
                                              Sure look at you now, a fugitive from justice moving from country to country trying to stay one step of the law.

Comment

Missed economics in Trinity by a gee hair in '86
                                                Friend got the same course ...now making obscene money in banking. Just that little bit of extra effort.

Completely screwed up what should have been a great time in college (UCD) but alas life problems got in the way and I left
                                                Still a big regret and definitely changed my life trajectory significantly.

#cautionarytail

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                  Late to the popcorn debate and was always anti everything except home popped corn but came across these lately and they are the outstanding snack of our time.
                                                  Mrs Lao Lao's favourite - She loves the stuff!

Those upcoming Taylor Swift concerts in Dublin would be a MASSIVE scalping opportunity of anyone so inclined.
                                                  Dublin hotels are already on the case. Prices for nights the concert are on are up to 3 times what they are for similar time of year this year.

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                  Major win, last time I had a food from Ryanair (which was a ham and cheese panini), I had the most horrific food poisoning for just over 24 hours solid. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Comment

Gum/Jaw/tooth pain last night and now getting worse Will have to book another session with DR Mengele
                                                    Fucker touched a nerve last time so painful my legs shot up in the air
                                                    Him acting almost offended as if I was overreacting or something.
                                                    At least I now know what 10 out of 10 pain feels like

Comment

Breaking news . Hacker scores 82 in Kileen GC Film at 11

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                        Missed economics in Trinity by a gee hair in '86
                                                        Friend got the same course ...now making obscene money in banking. Just that little bit of extra effort.

Completely screwed up what should have been a great time in college (UCD) but alas life problems got in the way and I left
                                                        Still a big regret and definitely changed my life trajectory significantly.

#cautionarytail

I've seen plenty of your economics decisions up close over the years. I don't think you're cut out for economics.

Comment

Had lunch in Carved again today in IFSC. My goodness godness the sandwiches are unbelievable.

Comment

How much would it cost to get a dude to plaster a 30cmx30cm hole in my ceiling? I still have the original piece, they probably can even just screw it back in. There are sites to get quotes for this kinda thing yeah?

CrHYcTnm.jpg

ZViuVxXm.jpg

Comment

just use TaskMatch for something simple like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                How much would it cost to get a dude to plaster a 30cmx30cm hole in my ceiling? I still have the original piece, they probably can even just screw it back in. There are sites to get quotes for this kinda thing yeah?

CrHYcTnm.jpg

ZViuVxXm.jpg
                                                                Ceiling cat is a bit retro, isn't it?

Comment

Had lunch in Carved again today in IFSC. My goodness godness the sandwiches are unbelievable.
                                                                  I'm eating there once a week now.

Comment

I'm eating there once a week now.
                                                                    They had a meatball marinara on special today - omg

Comment

They had a meatball marinara on special today - omg
                                                                      I have learned that the special is always good. Takes away any independent thought which I like.

Comment

Dutch uni option might not be an option for long.

Comment

I've seen plenty of your economics decisions up close over the years. I don't think you're cut out for economics.

Economists thrive in being able to explain why what they predicted didn't come to pass.

I'm awesome at that!

​​​​​

Comment

Is this real or am I getting trolled? I have seen it posted on a few platforms today.

Title: "The Sands of Time: Cascades of Society"

Description: "The Sands of Time: Cascades of Society" is a provocative and thought-provoking piece that pushes the boundaries of traditional art by utilizing a collection of stacked buckets filled with sand. Each bucket represents a distinct societal class, a visual metaphor drawn from the artist's critical perspective on the structure of society.

The meticulously stacked buckets appear to be on the verge of toppling, creating a palpable tension in the piece. This precariousness symbolizes the delicate balance within societal systems, hinting at the fragility of our social fabric.

Each bucket is filled with sand, the granules representing individuals within each class. The action of sand continually spilling from the buckets brings to life the concept of social mobility, the struggle for power, and the ever-present fear of downward social movement. The sand, albeit small and seemingly insignificant on its own, gains momentum as it cascades from the buckets, symbolizing how individuals together can influence societal structures.

The artist, through this live performance of cascading sand, aims to critique the instability and inequality inherent in class structures. The idea that these 'societal buckets' are constantly teetering on the edge of collapse reminds viewers of the imminent danger posed by class struggles, and the potential for societal transformation and upheaval.

As the sand spills, it mingles at the base of the structure, blending the lines between each societal class. It offers a commentary on the fluid nature of class and power, the potential for intermingling, and the possibility of a society where class boundaries are not so rigidly defined.

"The Sands of Time: Cascades of Society" is a powerful testament to the tumultuous ebb and flow of class struggles. This piece stands as a mirror reflecting our societal values, structures, and conflicts, urging us to reassess our acceptance of these unstable foundations.

He charges 72,000 per exhibition does around three per month and last year he earns $2.5 million doing this

Comment

Is that not in docklands across the river from the IFSC?
                                                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                Is that not in docklands across the river from the IFSC?
                                                                                That's the one!

Comment

Just looking at the variable rates on ICS that we would move on to when the fixed rate expires September next year. The estimate is that our monthly repayments would rise from €2,100 to €3,700. You can see - a bit - why they stresstest mortgages. There's cheaper rates out there, but it's an awful hassle to move. Surely this is going to cause chaos - with no realistic chance of a 'bailout' as it would be against EU policy.

Comment

I think ICS were pretty much like we don't want more business let's jack it up, they've doubled rates even from a few months back.

Comment

I think ICS were pretty much like we don't want more business let's jack it up, they've doubled rates even from a few months back.
                                                                                      Yeah. 6.2% is the rate now if you have even a 60% mortgage. Awful hassle to switch though!

Comment

Yeah. 6.2% is the rate now if you have even a 60% mortgage. Awful hassle to switch though!
                                                                                        Yeah I'm in the middle of switching but the rates already caught up mostly, so I'd only be saving 0.35% for all that hassle plus initial fees of 1k+ and not sure if it's worth the hassle any more with 2.5 years left fixed.

Comment

Yeah I'm in the middle of switching but the rates already caught up mostly, so I'd only be saving 0.35% for all that hassle plus initial fees of 1k+ and not sure if it's worth the hassle any more with 2.5 years left fixed.
                                                                                          you're switching from ICS also? What rate are you on at the moment? I was playing around with the repayment calculator a bit and by far the best idea seems to be to make some early repayments. Easier said than done of course!

Comment

you're switching from ICS also? What rate are you on at the moment? I was playing around with the repayment calculator a bit and by far the best idea seems to be to make some early repayments. Easier said than done of course!
                                                                                            I'm on 3.75% and I'd be changing to 3.4% by this stage, for 4 years instead of the 2.5 left now. Plan is to make early repayments when I can, first need to finish furnishing. Considering renting a room or airbnbing one, former is a handy 14k overpayment per year but also it's pretty nice like not renting out a room.

Comment

PokerGo streaming the end of the $50k PPC on youtube. Down to 10, Ivey in the mix in second.

Comment

Switched this week. Fixed 40%, and left 60% variable to utilise an offset account, and allow for mobility if the market changes.
                                                                                                New bank paying me $3k+fees to move. Seemed silly to stay.

Comment

I'm with ICS, 1.95% rate with another 3.75 years to run. You can be damn sure I'll be switching at the end of the term if things remain the same. Can get 3.1% variable or 3.75% 7-year fixed elsewhere, that's the best on offer right now in our circumstance. Paying 6%+ variable with ICS would madness!

Comment

The bear season 2 out today
                                                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Just looking at the variable rates on ICS that we would move on to when the fixed rate expires September next year. The estimate is that our monthly repayments would rise from €2,100 to €3,700. You can see - a bit - why they stresstest mortgages. There's cheaper rates out there, but it's an awful hassle to move. Surely this is going to cause chaos - with no realistic chance of a 'bailout' as it would be against EU policy.
                                                                                                      I'm surprised you didn't switch last year when it was obvious rates were going to go way up. My 5 year fixed was due to expire in August this year but I jumped a year early to another fixed rate to avoid a lot of the hikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Switched this week. Fixed 40%, and left 60% variable to utilise an offset account, and allow for mobility if the market changes.
                                                                                                        New bank paying me $3k+fees to move. Seemed silly to stay.
                                                                                                        I never knew you could have part fixed and part variable, is that an Oz thing only?
                                                                                                        Kinda the best of both worlds if your intention is to do the odd balloon payment.

I started mine off as variable until it got to below 50% LTV then fixed for as long as possible on the cheapest fixed rate.
                                                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

I never knew you could have part fixed and part variable, is that an Oz thing only?
                                                                                                          Kinda the best of both worlds if your intention is to do the odd balloon payment.

I started mine off as variable until it got to below 50% LTV then fixed for as long as possible on the cheapest fixed rate.
                                                                                                          No you can do it here as well. A lot of lenders here will allow you to overpay a fixed mortgage without penalty up to 10% total value of the loan though so that might be as useful. AIB and subsidiaries don't allow this unfortunately

Comment

I'm surprised you didn't switch last year when it was obvious rates were going to go way up. My 5 year fixed was due to expire in August this year but I jumped a year early to another fixed rate to avoid a lot of the hikes.
                                                                                                            Aftertiming Cunt

Comment

See that the fella who was accused of cheating in the WSOP has started legal action against some of the more vocal accusers.

Comment

I rang to switch within ICS a year ago to a longer fixed term and they said I hadn't been with them long enough. Then just left it as was doing a madly busy job at the time, so the idea of switching to a whole new provider just seemed too much. ya live ya learn!

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                                                                                                                  See that the fella who was accused of cheating in the WSOP has started legal action against some of the more vocal accusers.
                                                                                                                  Kind of interesting in that it seems most people now think that he was giving the illusion of cheating to put the other players off. Apparently, the decks that were taken out of rotation and there were many have been checked and they couldn't find anything. He was so over the top in making it look like he was marking the cards that many people are now saying it was some sick next-level meta to get in the player's heads. His whole shtick is to be as annoying as possible at the table.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

No you can do it here as well. A lot of lenders here will allow you to overpay a fixed mortgage without penalty up to 10% total value of the loan though so that might be as useful. AIB and subsidiaries don't allow this unfortunately
                                                                                                                    Pity that ICS are effectively shutting themselves down as they had a nice deal where you could overpay by 20% a year, which is handy if you had a lumpsum. Going to try to pay off 20% over the next year to get things down to a less catastrophic balance. Might be easier said than done though with the €25k a year uni+accommodation fees for the bro-in-law.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Aftertiming Cunt
                                                                                                                      Twas extensively discussed here around a year ago, so aftertiming label firmly rejected.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

Kind of interesting in that it seems most people now think that he was giving the illusion of cheating to put the other players off. Apparently, the decks that were taken out of rotation and there were many have been checked and they couldn't find anything. He was so over the top in making it look like he was marking the cards that many people are now saying it was some sick next-level meta to get in the player's heads. His whole shtick is to be as annoying as possible at the table.

Yeah i read that. Even if he wasn’t cheating in the traditional sense, it’s a fairly epic angleshoot.

Comment

Pity that ICS are effectively shutting themselves down as they had a nice deal where you could overpay by 20% a year, which is handy if you had a lumpsum. Going to try to pay off 20% over the next year to get things down to a less catastrophic balance. Might be easier said than done though with the €25k a year uni+accommodation fees for the bro-in-law.
                                                                                                                          Can he not get a part-time job? (cash in hand style if he doesn't have the right visa)

Also thought he was staying with you but maybe that has evolved.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X