This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    Lads what does it mean when you say a '€1m pension pot'?

Are you actually accruing a milly over your career through savings and investments?
    Yeah pretty much. Although in 20 years the target could be higher.
    As you approach retirement can hold less in cash savings, more in the pension or whatever. For me I’d be maxing out salary sacrifice anti reduce tax liabilities

Comment

Are you actually accruing a milly over your career through savings and investments?
      Don’t panic if you think this number is out of reach. I stepped off pre 40 with less than that in total and while I may well be eating out of bins and begging for scraps in 10 5 years. I’ll still have enjoyed the best years of my life rather than waiting 5/10/20 years hoping that a number I was happy with would materialise (here’s a tip…that number doesn’t exist, we will always want more to be sure that we’re comfortable)

YMMV
      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

I think you could do worse than have a small bet on Gretchen Whitmer at 125/1 for the presidency. If this week turns out to be Biden's Brian Cowen moment, there is a very small field available to replace him. The next in the betting (Michelle Obama) would be a guaranteed N/R in any case and the third (the VP) has no chance.

One way or another, the Dem side of the race looks to be where all the betting opportunities are. If you think Biden can get past this, 5/2 is an insanely good price. If not, pick your preferred replacement at double, or even triple, figure odds.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Fargo S05 was a good shout - thanks to whoever recommended (Micknail?).

Now watching Reacher, which has the strange effect of making me feel very stupid but also quite happy with it.

Comment

Speaking of stupid... made the mistake of watching an hour of Aaron Rodgers on Rogan. Dude got hit in the head wayyyy too many times. Proper bro science.
            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
              Speaking of stupid... made the mistake of watching an hour of Aaron Rodgers on Rogan. Dude got hit in the head wayyyy too many times. Proper bro science.
              Tom Brady moved to Tampa and believed drinking water was like wearing sunscreen.
              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Jesus, that was a truly awful game of rugby with a hilarious finish.

Comment

Was told 2/3 weeks for delivery of bed/mattress.

3 weeks today so ring them.

"Might be next week but more likely the week after"
                  Hmmm..that's funny I was told 2/3 weeks "Ah no I always tell people 4/6 weeks and I'm a hero if it comes in before then ha ha"
                  Yes but why not tell me that earlier rather than what I was told which was 2/3 weeks
                  "They shouldn't have told you that ...like it takes 4 weeks minimum I would say"

Not too bothered but that "they shouldn't have told you that" excuse just irritates the fuck out of me. Would have expected more from K Hodgins customer service.
                  A simple "sorry about the delay in your order we will do our absolute utmost to get that shipped next week for you" would have been sufficient.

Comment

Yeah compound interest baby, it really adds up after a couple of decades. Take somebody investing in the S&P since 22 and they are 67 now, they'd have had to just put €150 per month or something into their pension over that time to have over a million. Most of us don't do that, so we have to invest more later to catch up. In Ireland I think the average pension at retirement is something like €100k, so most people don't put much in over their life. As the average age goes up in the country the state pension will have to be handled different with all us old fucks around, so they're bringing in that new pension scheme for people that don't have one, half the people in the country probably can't tell you a thing about one.

I remember when I was in primary school as a young child and our teacher told us about bank accounts and interest, I took out my little boxed math notebook and worked out what saving money each month would earn me in interest. at different percentages over decades and was thinking that surely anybody could do this to be rich, of course I didn't know girls existed yet so that all faded away.

Comment

The Green Book on Netflix = excellent

Comment

I have already attempted to teach my kids the value of saving their Big Mac meal money and buying a McDonalds share with it instead. They....did not seem interested.

Comment

Saw The Zone Of Interest today. Absolutely staggering piece of of work, really got to me.
                          Go see it in a cinema if you can
                          ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                            I have already attempted to teach my kids the value of saving their Big Mac meal money and buying a McDonalds share with it instead. They....did not seem interested.
                            I offered my 9 year old €5 for every >200 page book she reads, with the idea being she saves for something 'big'. She's all over it. Will see how it pans out.
                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                              Yeah compound interest baby, it really adds up after a couple of decades. Take somebody investing in the S&P since 22 and they are 67 now, they'd have had to just put €150 per month or something into their pension over that time to have over a million. Most of us don't do that, so we have to invest more later to catch up. In Ireland I think the average pension at retirement is something like €100k, so most people don't put much in over their life. As the average age goes up in the country the state pension will have to be handled different with all us old fucks around, so they're bringing in that new pension scheme for people that don't have one, half the people in the country probably can't tell you a thing about one.

I remember when I was in primary school as a young child and our teacher told us about bank accounts and interest, I took out my little boxed math notebook and worked out what saving money each month would earn me in interest. at different percentages over decades and was thinking that surely anybody could do this to be rich, of course I didn't know girls existed yet so that all faded away.
                              Cheers Tar, that makes sense.

Sadly I'm on the wrong side of that 50%. Urgently need to get my shit together it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                Saw The Zone Of Interest today. Absolutely staggering piece of of work, really got to me.
                                Go see it in a cinema if you can
                                ​​​​
                                Did nothing for me. Almost felt like I fell asleep for an hour or so, though I know I didn't. At least I wasn't surprised about the zero cocks
                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Watched that We are the World doc last night, it was incredible.

The Dylan bit was wonderful, how vulnerable he seemed, then his interaction with Stevie Wonder, Stevie pumping his confidence, wow!!

Comment

Cheers Tar, that makes sense.

Sadly I'm on the wrong side of that 50%. Urgently need to get my shit together it seems.
                                    Don't you have a pension scheme at work?

Comment

Maybe not being in NATO is a good thing.

Comment

Watched that We are the World doc last night, it was incredible.

The Dylan bit was wonderful, how vulnerable he seemed, then his interaction with Stevie Wonder, Stevie pumping his confidence, wow!!
                                        Loved the quip, those white boys can really sing. (Sic) Was hilarious Waylon Jennings waled out as it betrayed his country roots

I cant firgure out where i've watched it before but it is excellent. Quincy Jones the producers producer . Kenny Loggins a real blast from the past forgot he was even there. Had to watch this again after.

Comment

I think this is fascinating listen. She is incredibly impressive person who worked in Quantum computing before moving over to AI Robotics. She believes we have evolved in a current form as human to be optimised to interact with the world and as such they focus on building robots in the same form as humans, teach them basic movements and from those they can then put them together to do all the things we can physically.

She thinks we will have millions of humanoid robots in the workforce by 2030!

Comment

Any spatial geniuses about?

We have an "attic space" in our new build. It's effectively just a corridor to nowhere. About the width of a standard door, but 2.2m high and probably 3m deep.

Because it's "off" the main landing, there's not a whole lot of 'swing' space to get something into it / out of it.

I'm trying to figure out how to best use it / get stuff sorted/made to best utilize the space.

Seems pretty bespoke / difficult to find anything off-the-shelf for it. Any smart solutions?

Comment

Something like those pull out larders? would you have the 3m on the landing side to pull a rollered type storage solution out ?
                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

It's perpendicular to the landing, so really only have a swing of a door available. Will get a sketch and some measurements at some stage and see if there's anything doable.

At the moment we're just firing shite haphazardly into it. Using about 1/6 of the total available volume I'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

We have an "attic space" in our new build. It's effectively just a corridor to nowhere. About the width of a standard door, but 2.2m high and probably 3m deep.

Because it's "off" the main landing, there's not a whole lot of 'swing' space to get something into it / out of it.

I'm trying to figure out how to best use it / get stuff sorted/made to best utilize the space.

Seems pretty bespoke / difficult to find anything off-the-shelf for it. Any smart solutions?
                                                  Set of bunk beds be ur man and rent out the space
                                                  should get approx €800 a month from HAP
                                                  mad for space

Comment

Boom, Superb Owl Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                      Boom, Superb Owl Sunday.
                                                      Which team is Taylor Swift on again?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Which team is Taylor Swift on again?
                                                        Kansas City (in the state of Missouri) Chiefs.
                                                        Her boyfriend Travis Kelce also contributes to the team.
                                                        Interesting character - bit of a looks deceive guy as most of the rich white US athletes swing heavily GOP, but TK is an exception who gained the ire of Trump by 'taking a knee' during anthems and being a vocal BLM supporter. DJT wanted them to 'fire his ass'
                                                        So a good reason to support him, albeir the San Francisco fanbase would generally be a more acceptable bunch than the Missouri lot .

Comment

gwan Zurophtrooy https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2024/0...-strategy-gto/

Comment

Kansas City (in the state of Missouri) Chiefs.
                                                            Her boyfriend Travis Kelce also contributes to the team.
                                                            Interesting character - bit of a looks deceive guy as most of the rich white US athletes swing heavily GOP, but TK is an exception who gained the ire of Trump by 'taking a knee' during anthems and being a vocal BLM supporter. DJT wanted them to 'fire his ass'
                                                            So a good reason to support him, albeir the San Francisco fanbase would generally be a more acceptable bunch than the Missouri lot .
                                                            Are we going to see the strange sight of MAGAnauts supporting the deeply liberal SF instead of the deep red state Chiefs because Swift is deemed to be a Dem?

That would be fun. Still not watching though.

Comment

AFCON FINAL DAY
                                                              FYP

Comment

Spent all of yesterday working on the gaff. Hours spent cleaning up the front garden (which is tiny) and then moved on to putting the last coat of paint onto the sitting room and dining room walls. Finished painting at 11:45pm

Painting on Saturday night is the absolute dogs bollix, Impromtu 4am raves in the woods at Electric Picnic are so 2023. All the kool kidz will be painting theirs gaffs on a Saturday night in 2024. You heard it here first!

Woke up this morning stiffer than a poker. There was some lubrication needed before heading to the Ireland game which turned put to be a pretty poor game despite the scoreline.

In a complete school boy error, I never booked tomorrow off work. As a 49er's fan (by fan, I mean I started to follow them as a teenager when C4 used to show American Football but wouldn't watch every game or close to it) I should be watching it and have watched the last few Super Bowls they got to (2013 & 2020) but don't think I last through this one - I'm bloody exhausted.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

FYP
                                                                  Very good game. Go on the Coastals, 2-1 up now.

Comment

They hacked the bejesus out of what I actually wanted to write

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

FYP
                                                                      There won't be a cow milked in Yamoussoukro / Abidjan tonight​
                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Very good game. Go on the Coastals, 2-1 up now.
                                                                        I do hope the celebration meets with Jamie Carrighers approval.

Great defending by the Islanders .

Comment

So I kinda missed the Rumble this year.

We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight!
                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Fair play to Louis Rees-Zammit trying to abandon a dying sport for a great one- still same concussion risks but at least you get paid for it
                                                                            so that’s 2 of the star players from big 6*(really 4.5y nation teams who have decided fuck it there’s better things to be at when it’s on. Not a good look.
                                                                            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Does Taylor Swift sing at the HT of extra time?
                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

To get the mist of of it you’d probably want to shelves, or some storage. Summer/winter clothes, the misses shines.
                                                                                Or make it into a wine cellar/store

Comment

Fucking hell, Kelvin Kiptum killed in a car crash in Kenya yesterday.

He broke the marathon WR at Chicago last year and was set to break 2 hours this year. Was set for the history books like Roger Bannister.

Such a tragic loss.

Comment

Appears we forgot to pay the motor tax for nearly the last 2 years. Must have driven through plenty of checkpoints in that time and never a question asked - clearly have a respectable face.

Comment

Appears we forgot to pay the motor tax for nearly the last 2 years. Must have driven through plenty of checkpoints in that time and never a question asked - clearly have a respectable face.
                                                                                      I haven't been through a checkpoint of any type in years. Last one I can remember was in Nov 2019 when I was nabbed just up from the rotunda after coming out from the birth of kid #2 and had to do one of those 10 minute drug tests. Given that I have never (to my knowledge) been in a state where I'd have failed one of those tests, I got through it OK.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

I haven't been through a checkpoint of any type in years. Last one I can remember was in Nov 2019 when I was nabbed just up from the rotunda after coming out from the birth of kid #2 and had to do one of those 10 minute drug tests. Given that I have never (to my knowledge) been in a state where I'd have failed one of those tests, I got through it OK.
                                                                                        I think it's probably a side benefit of having a local 'celebrity' (The Monk) living in the neighbourhood.

Comment

It is completely insane that Michelle Obama is a single-figure price for the US presidential race. I'd rather back Michelle Sat Nav.

Comment

You were lucky you weren't the 149th person so

I got stopped at 2:05pm on Bank Holiday Monday just gone outside Roundstone in Connemara and was breathalyzed. They also asked me for my licence which I had stupidly left in my wallet at home in Dublin. When I told them this they asked me had I a full licence and they were happy with my answer of 'Yes'.

It's the first time I have ever seen a Guard in Roundstone in 10 years, let alone a check point. I'm not sure who they were hoping to catch at 2pm on the drink driving but I passed with flying colours!

Comment

It is completely insane that Michelle Obama is a single-figure price for the US presidential race. I'd rather back Michelle Sat Nav.
                                                                                              If Biden did have to drop out, who would you say would be the most likely replacement (not necessarily the best). Newsom? I can't see it being Whitmer, won't be Obama, I agree, and surely not Harris either.

Comment

If Biden did have to drop out, who would you say would be the most likely replacement (not necessarily the best). Newsom? I can't see it being Whitmer, won't be Obama, I agree, and surely not Harris either.
                                                                                                Obviously on a strict reading of normal history, the VP should step up but Harris has (possibly unfairly) been hammered in the media and the perception is that she just isn't up to it so I think she would fail to get the nomination.

I think Newsom is the most likely and I'd have Whitmer as the second fav. Given the choice of backing at 12/1 or 125/1, I'd rather the latter!

It's all down to Biden himself though (and those around him) - obviously having achieved the presidency, it takes a very special set of circumstances for someone to willingly give that up. LBJ in 1968 is the only modern equivalent I can think of. It's a horrible dilemma for Biden, for the Dems and for the country.

Best case, Jill Biden has his ear and he listens. Confirm he's not running, his historical legacy is secure and he can step aside and allow a contest - in which I imagine Biden would be very conspicuously neutral.

Comment

'sell' the car to your wife and as a new owner she won't have to back tax it.
                                                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

'sell' the car to your wife and as a new owner she won't have to back tax it.
                                                                                                    That would have been useful advice 24 hours ago.

Meh, it should have been paid so I have no problem paying the dues.

Comment

Obviously on a strict reading of normal history, the VP should step up but Harris has (possibly unfairly) been hammered in the media and the perception is that she just isn't up to it so I think she would fail to get the nomination.

I think Newsom is the most likely and I'd have Whitmer as the second fav. Given the choice of backing at 12/1 or 125/1, I'd rather the latter!

It's all down to Biden himself though (and those around him) - obviously having achieved the presidency, it takes a very special set of circumstances for someone to willingly give that up. LBJ in 1968 is the only modern equivalent I can think of. It's a horrible dilemma for Biden, for the Dems and for the country.

Best case, Jill Biden has his ear and he listens. Confirm he's not running, his historical legacy is secure and he can step aside and allow a contest - in which I imagine Biden would be very conspicuously neutral.
                                                                                                      By conspicuously neutral, I presume you mean "don't showcase the dodderyness".

Comment

By conspicuously neutral, I presume you mean "don't showcase the dodderyness".
                                                                                                        No, not at all.

I mean he would not endorse someone as his successor i.e. he would let the primary contest play out

Comment

If Biden had pulled out around 4 years ago (April 2020 during the start of Covid), then Andrew Cuomo would almost certainly have been the clear choice at conference.
                                                                                                          So it shows the risks of bringing on a late sub who hasn't been vetted/examined to Presidential standards.

Comment

If Biden had pulled out around 4 years ago (April 2020 during the start of Covid), then Andrew Cuomo would almost certainly have been the clear choice at conference.
                                                                                                            So it shows the risks of bringing on a late sub who hasn't been vetted/examined to Presidential standards.
                                                                                                            As opposed to the risks of stubbornly sticking with a candidate who (fairly or unfairly) can be tagged as being in cognitive decline.

I think the risk of not replacing Biden >>>> the risk of replacing him. And yes, I have flip-flopped on this.

Give us a generic Democrat with good hair pls. Military service a bonus but not necessary.

Comment

I doubt they are opening tictok accounts for him if he isn't fully intending to run.

Comment

The Special Tenth Anniversary Cheltenham Comp is now open for entries.

Given the momentous occasion that is the tenth anniversary, much like Willie Wonka, I will be giving FREE ENTRY to one lucky BBV dweller.

All you have to do is write a limerick and post it here. Rules below:
                                                                                                                It must have some kind of horseracing theme
                                                                                                                It must include an IPB personality
                                                                                                                The more defamatory the better
                                                                                                                Multiple entries are allowed
                                                                                                                I will adjudicate the winner on 29-Feb and award the GOLDEN TICKET then.

Good Luck.

Comment

Comment

No, not at all.

I mean he would not endorse someone as his successor i.e. he would let the primary contest play out
                                                                                                                    Ah right, I thought you meant in terms of the general election, and thought it an oddity.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                                                      I doubt they are opening tictok accounts for him if he isn't fully intending to run.

I thought tiktok was the devil in terms of US politics?

Comment

I don't think there is a chance biden steps down.

Not when they are leaning into the madness
                                                                                                                        ​​​​​​
                                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I’m actually baffled that Trump hasn’t been knocked off by a fellow GOP . I can see why the Dems wouldn’t do it. However his comment on Russia recently and his obvious man love for Putin would surely have 90% of the 1950s & 60s GOP so enraged with their raised pitchforks seeking out his innards for a prize. It would serve both parties if he was splattered across some podium somewhere. It might start some kind of tit for tat but sure the pool needs cleansing anyway.

Biden needs to step down to show some leadership. IE, I’m not up to it , I’m too old folks. Let’s get some younger blood in the hot seat. (a wee stab at his fellow senile dementia rival) .

Ideally I’d like to see 2 50/60 somethings having a debate with a level of alertness a wee bit above the laziest sloth in the sloth clan.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X