Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to see the hurt is still there carlinrose, that's what drives you on.

Although I thought my gubbing of you was relatively low key. I'd say Dead Parrott still has nightmares about Dice getting up in the last stride.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      Glad to see the hurt is still there carlinrose, that's what drives you on.

Although I thought my gubbing of you was relatively low key. I'd say Dead Parrott still has nightmares about Dice getting up in the last stride.
      Last race, last €100, last yard of the Festival, EZ game

Always worth a rewatch when you chin DP and nicnicnic - from 3m.30s

Day four was full of heartbreak with triumph hurdle favourite Goshen falling at the last when his hooves got caught together on landing. He was 10 lengths cl...

Comment

This is incredible!

Comment

I see they're carrying out a search for that lad who went missing a few years back from the Bonnington. Cordoned off areas in Santry demesne and searching with cadaver dogs.
          Search instigated based off some anon letters according to the article today.

Comment

Happy Valentines Day HH FB_IMG_1707936550422.jpg and Denny

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
              I see they're carrying out a search for that lad who went missing a few years back from the Bonnington. Cordoned off areas in Santry demesne and searching with cadaver dogs.
              Search instigated based off some anon letters according to the article today.
              Strange case, will be interested to see what comes of it. Would it be that easy to bury a body there without being noticed? Zuutroy?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Strange case, will be interested to see what comes of it. Would it be that easy to bury a body there without being noticed? Zuutroy?
                Surely a case for rounders123

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Wondered about it a few times. It was daylight in the am when he was last seen. Felt at the time he might have been targeted. Hard to imagine what his family have been going through.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Wondered about it a few times. It was daylight in the am when he was last seen. Felt at the time he might have been targeted. Hard to imagine what his family have been going through.
                    A quick google shows the Mirror saying he lost money the night before at the poker and possibly arranged a meeting to get his hands on more loot.

There were a good few rumours flying around at the time and one was he was holding buyins/hotel money for a group of players arriving and lost it at cash tables (let he who is without sin and all that) but sure you can never believe any of these things and it only gets worse when Joe Public hears poker/gambling and missing person and all sorts of stupid hyperbole shite theories hit the fan.

I remember i was over there to play the Deepstack the following weekend and not hearing anything about him being missing - was a few weeks later i heard about it- thought that was strange.

Anyway hopefully get a quick answer on the Park search either way for his poor family.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

The 4% rule should be more like 2.7%, less if you retire early. The main thing is variable withdrawal rate.

Meet with PWL Capital: https://calendly.com/d/3vm-t2j-h3pIs the 4% rule really 2-3%?Referenced in this video:- Determining Withdrawal Rates Using Historical ...

I would see me wanting to spend more in retirement than now tbh, just all free time and people should have better health than previous generations.
                      Il check it out. 2.7% sounds way too conservative to me, unless you’re retiring 30 (I didn’t).

Comment

Putin backs Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                          Putin backs Biden
                          If you take it that everything Putin says is a lie (which is a solid yardstick), then he doesn't. He wants his puppet back.

Comment

If you take it that everything Putin says is a lie (which is a solid yardstick), then he doesn't. He wants his puppet back.
                            Maybe it's the mad cow, I can't really remember, who was in charge each time Putin annexed neighbouring territory?

Comment

They are currently rolling out memory to ChatGPT so it can draw on past conversations it give better answers. In the past when it was being lazy about responses people found offering it tips often helped.

Comment

Maybe it's the mad cow, I can't really remember, who was in charge each time Putin annexed neighbouring territory?
                                Bush\Obama\Biden.

Under Trump he contented himself with Syria, the CAR and other foreign wars. And Trump did nothing.

Comment

So Trump and his perfect phone calls stopped Putin from misbehaving?

Comment

Any of our Southern correspondents been to the Bishops Buttery?

I like this:
                                    You may want to call upon the largesse of a chum who’s had a good day at the races before flicking through the classic, predominantly French wine list.

Comment

I like this:
                                      We stayed in the Gate Lodge, I remember mentioning it before to GoodLuck4Some I think.
                                      If staying, the main house is probably the better option especially if the weather isn’t good.

We thought the meal was excellent and I thought it was good value as part of the package.

The service from start to finish in the restaurant and hotel really stood out as brilliant tbh.

For example, my wife had a treatment earlier in the day and informed them prior to that she was pregnant.
                                      No other mention of it at any point during the stay, later that evening during the meal, an amouse-bouche of an oyster arrives for me and waitress whispers to my wife that the chef prepared something different for her(can’t remember what).

Very enjoyable experience, not sure I loved the hotel itself but staff and restaurant were fantastic.

Just checked and we stayed there on this date last year
                                      Last edited by Murdrum; 15-02-24, 12:25.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

So Trump and his perfect phone calls stopped Putin from misbehaving?
                                        The record stands for itself

Comment

It certainly does!

Comment

An audacious young gambler named Denny
                                            Concocted a plan to make a pretty penny
                                            On Trump he did punt
                                            When all else called him a cunt
                                            It pays to oppose the many

Comment

I like this:
                                              Tried to book there a year or two ago and it was booked out months in advance (in November)

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

The 4% rule should be more like 2.7%, less if you retire early. The main thing is variable withdrawal rate.

Meet with PWL Capital: https://calendly.com/d/3vm-t2j-h3pIs the 4% rule really 2-3%?Referenced in this video:- Determining Withdrawal Rates Using Historical ...

(This is way longer that intended ​​)

Ok, I watch the video. And skimmed the report he referenced. I still disagree. 2.7% is overly conservative. I understand what he is saying, I'm sure the data in the study is correct. But I think they drawing bad conclusions.

Bascially they are saying the original 1994 study (4%) was based on US data is skewed as US stocks have historically over performed, and to correct it they have taken global data. That premise might be true, but I think they have over-corrected. The 2022 data set includes failed economys like inter-war Czechoslovakia, south american countries and the last 10 years in Isreal. I think the take away should be not investing in hostile markets.

The two studies also had different benchmarks. The original study set it as lasting 30 years. Even then it noted that you'd have be to at 3% to guarantee it, but 4% makes it to 30 years 95% of the time (typically it last 50+ years).
                                                The global study didn't benchmark it at 30 years. It looked at end of life. To get there 95% of the time, in historic global markets, that's 2.7%. It estimates the 4% drawdown fails 17% of the time. A big factor is the increased lift expectancy from 1994 to 2022. The mortality tables in the study show that 25% of 65 year olds will make to 95. And 5-10% will make 100.

I think that's import to consider the alongside the risk of ruin. At 4% you 17% chance of running out of pension. That's going to bias the people living the longest. You simply aren't going to need your 65yo income into your 90s. That's the major flaw with this type of assessment is that based on a drawing a consistent level income. Reducing drawdowns as your lifestyle needs reduce seem more likely. Plus it's not like you are blindly riding it into the ground. You will see performance in real time. If the pot is trackign behind EV after a few years, you can dial it back.

I can see the appeal of sticking to 2.7% to reduce risk to under 5%. I think I'd rather take the extra risk that equates to a 50% higher income over the entire retirement.

Comment

The Special Tenth Anniversary Cheltenham Comp is now open for entries.

Given the momentous occasion that is the tenth anniversary, much like Willie Wonka, I will be giving FREE ENTRY to one lucky BBV dweller.
                                                  :
                                                  A pensioner named Duke, was quite bold,
                                                  Punting the lot on horses, he told
                                                  But lady luck was unkind,
                                                  the pension pot all declined.
                                                  Poor Duke's Cheltenham cup tips, weren’t Gold!

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Ok, I watch the video. And skimmed the report he referenced. I still disagree. 2.7% is overly conservative. I understand what he is saying, I'm sure the data in the study is correct. But I think they drawing bad conclusions.

Bascially they are saying the original 1994 study (4%) was based on US data is skewed as US stocks have historically over performed, and to correct it they have taken global data. That premise might be true, but I think they have over-corrected. The 2022 data set includes failed economys like inter-war Czechoslovakia, south american countries and the last 10 years in Isreal. I think the take away should be not investing in hostile markets.

The two studies also had different benchmarks. The original study set it as lasting 30 years. Even then it noted that you'd have be to at 3% to guarantee it, but 4% makes it to 30 years 95% of the time (typically it last 50+ years).
                                                    The global study didn't benchmark it at 30 years. It looked at end of life. To get there 95% of the time, in historic global markets, that's 2.7%. It estimates the 4% drawdown fails 17% of the time. A big factor is the increased lift expectancy from 1994 to 2022. The mortality tables in the study show that 25% of 65 year olds will make to 95. And 5-10% will make 100.

I think that's import to consider the alongside the risk of ruin. At 4% you 17% chance of running out of pension. That's going to bias the people living the longest. You simply aren't going to need your 65yo income into your 90s. That's the major flaw with this type of assessment is that based on a drawing a consistent level income. Reducing drawdowns as your lifestyle needs reduce seem more likely. Plus it's not like you are blindly riding it into the ground. You will see performance in real time. If the pot is trackign behind EV after a few years, you can dial it back.

I can see the appeal of sticking to 2.7% to reduce risk to under 5%. I think I'd rather take the extra risk that equates to a 50% higher income over the entire retirement.
                                                    even if you run out, your social security net won't...running out at age 85 is probably a 'meh' risk if you think about it the right way

Comment

I regret bringing up pension talk
                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                        I regret bringing up pension talk
                                                        Turn it into a limerick and win entry to the tipping comp

Comment

Turn it into a limerick and win entry to the tipping comp
                                                          There once was a man named Mick
                                                          Who felt like a bit of a dick
                                                          When about pensions he did wonder
                                                          But was given too much to ponder
                                                          And ended up just feeling thick

Comment

And just so I'm clear, not that I think it's standout or anything, but I have zero interest in a tipping comp.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Yeah a main takeaway as he said is that a specific rate is not a good idea, a variable one is best. I'd consider also the amount you'd have if not quite complete ruin occurs, what levels there may be and what that would mean for you. Take into account the difference in 50-95 and 67-95.

One thing to consider in costs as you get older is that although your spending mobility is reduced, you may want to be able to afford a decent level of care for yourself, looking at things like the fair deal scheme vs whatever exists in the country you are in, the quality you get and anything specialist health wise you may want. Avoiding a home vs hiring people to help with care and so on. My brother worked as a carer for wealthier people and there is a stark difference in their care (and also the level of medical support/specialists going from put him down to here is a good standard of living for years) vs even a nursing home that can even run 2k-5k per month. Though maybe by then it's best to have an early exit. And anybody that wants to provide money for their dependents would want to be more risk adverse. On the other end of if, if you need care in Ireland and have €1m they will absolutely riddle the money from you, vs having gotten rid of that money, you'll be heavily subsidized.
                                                              Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 15-02-24, 14:23.

Comment

There once was a man named Mick
                                                                Who felt like a bit of a dick
                                                                When about pensions he did wonder
                                                                But was given too much to ponder
                                                                And ended up just feeling thick
                                                                There was a curmudgeon called Star Pool
                                                                Who was made to feel quite the fool
                                                                When his limerick was selected
                                                                For the comp he rejected
                                                                And his sub scooped all the jewels

Comment

Am I entitled to 50% of the loots?

I could invest them in my pension of course
                                                                  Last edited by Micknail; 15-02-24, 15:18.
                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

The Trump hush money (i.e. Stormy Daniels) trial is going to begin on schedule, 25-March in New York.

That will be all levels of delightfully awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                      Am I entitled to 50% of the loots?

I could invest them in my pension of course
                                                                      A hopeful young chancer called Mick
                                                                      Tried to pull a most impudent trick
                                                                      To buy himself a nice dinner
                                                                      And steal the lootz of the winner
                                                                      But Raoul sent him away rather quick

Comment

And just so I'm clear, not that I think it's standout or anything, but I have zero interest in a tipping comp.
                                                                        guaranteed winner if he enters now
                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

We stayed in the Gate Lodge, I remember mentioning it before to GoodLuck4Some I think.
                                                                          If staying, the main house is probably the better option especially if the weather isn’t good.

We thought the meal was excellent and I thought it was good value as part of the package.

The service from start to finish in the restaurant and hotel really stood out as brilliant tbh.

For example, my wife had a treatment earlier in the day and informed them prior to that she was pregnant.
                                                                          No other mention of it at any point during the stay, later that evening during the meal, an amouse-bouche of an oyster arrives for me and waitress whispers to my wife that the chef prepared something different for her(can’t remember what).

Very enjoyable experience, not sure I loved the hotel itself but staff and restaurant were fantastic.

Just checked and we stayed there on this date last year
                                                                          Stayed in the main hotel for 2 days last March. Truly excellent experience and worth the money for a splash out. Everything from the valet only parking, the room, service, cellar bar, food and wine was just impeccable. They had no availability from March through the summer, and I would say word of mouth and the Michelin star will only make it harder. There was a wedding on the day we were checking out. I can only imagine the cost of that

Comment

On the other end of the hotel quality scale I've used a Supervalu Breaks voucher for Deebert House with the aim of us spending this weekend wandering around Ballyhoura in Limerick. Apparently great for scenery?

Comment

Hmmm

GGTD4a8WIAAFpRI.jpg
                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Pretty big leap forward in text to video generation from OpenAi's new model called Sora.

Edit - The demo's on the main page below are mind blowing!

Prompt - "Several giant wooly mammoths approach treading through a snowy meadow, their long wooly fur lightly blows in the wind as they walk, snow covered trees and dramatic snow capped mountains in the distance, mid afternoon light with wispy clouds and a sun high in the distance creates a warm glow, the low camera view is stunning capturing the large furry mammal with beautiful photography, depth of field.more"​

Result

​​
                                                                                Last edited by Opr; 15-02-24, 18:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                  Pretty big leap forward in text to video generation from OpenAi's new model called Sora.

Edit - The demo's on the main page below are mind blowing!

Prompt - "Several giant wooly mammoths approach treading through a snowy meadow, their long wooly fur lightly blows in the wind as they walk, snow covered trees and dramatic snow capped mountains in the distance, mid afternoon light with wispy clouds and a sun high in the distance creates a warm glow, the low camera view is stunning capturing the large furry mammal with beautiful photography, depth of field.more"​

Result

​​
                                                                                  Free short course that got sent out today. Shannon Vallor is listed on the course and she was involved with Google AI for a few years so might be of interest.

Comment

Genuinely taken aback looking through the demos, some of them are jaw dropping and already can be a minute in length. I didn't think we would have anything close to that kind of quality for at least another year.

Comment

Genuinely taken aback looking through the demos, some of them are jaw dropping and already can be a minute in length. I didn't think we would have anything close to that kind of quality for at least another year.
                                                                                      they must have GPT-5 finished training and this is a trial of its capabilities?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

they must have GPT-5 finished training and this is a trial of its capabilities?
                                                                                        I've no idea if the two are related but it does set expectation pretty high for 5. I'd say they have been sitting on Sora for a little while waiting for a good moment to drop and crushing Google today seemed like a good time.

Google did there own release today of Gemini 1.5 only a few hours ago which had some major upgrades especially around context length that hadn't been seen before along with a huge increased context for coding of 100k lines. It was hugely well received and then Open AI dropped this which completely blew them out of the water.

Great to have such major players really pushing each other.
                                                                                        Last edited by Opr; 15-02-24, 20:13.

Comment

I've no idea if the two are related but it does set expectation pretty high for 5. I'd say they have been sitting on Sora for a little while waiting for a good moment to drop and crushing Google today seemed like a good time.

Google did there own release today of Gemini 1.5 only a few hours ago which had some major upgrades especially around context length that hadn't been seen before along with a huge increased context for coding of 100k lines. It was hugely well received and then Open AI dropped this which completely blew them out of the water.

Great to have such major players really pushing each other.
                                                                                          Showing massive disloyalty I've switched all practical day-to-day use over to Gemini-Advanced over the last week. Its just miles better in terms of creative writing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Showing massive disloyalty I've switched all practical day-to-day use over to Gemini-Advanced over the last week. Its just miles better in terms of creative writing.
                                                                                            That does seem to be the consensus. They showcased some big leaps on the coding model but they never got released in Gemini as it was doing multiple generations of each coding sample, choosing the best one from I think thousands which improved it significantly but far too costly to release in a general model. They did say though they are working on ways to incorporate it a consumer level. They released a paper a few days back that showed if you train the model on higher quality data it performs much better, so they had a chess engine that could play without search by training it on the already computed AI outputs which feels kind of similar.

Amazon also primed to start getting involved in a much bigger way soon - Largest text-to-speech AI model yet shows ’emergent abilities

Comment

It is hard to get your head around what Sora is doing to create those videos. I think many people have this idea that it is some sort of collage machine but in reality it is more like a game engine that is able to simulate our world. This is a really good tweet related to that point.

They have also thrown up a load of other incredible examples. One of them is using prompts to change existing video.

Comment

Navalny RIP, felt unwell after his morning walk, lost consciousness and despite the superhuman efforts of the emergency medical team they were unable to revive him.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                  Navalny RIP, felt unwell after his morning walk, lost consciousness and despite the superhuman efforts of the emergency medical team they were unable to revive him.
                                                                                                  Early contender for 'most predictable news story of the year'.

Comment

Early contender for 'most predictable news story of the year'.
                                                                                                    After reading Red Notice and listening to the same thing happen to Sergei Magnitsky and the backlash / Magnitzky act being created. It's still mad it was just accepted that this was his fate. Opposition politics in Russia not the most desirable of jobs.

Comment

There was an auld horseman called Strewel
                                                                                                      Who had a deviant use for his tool
                                                                                                      With the aid of a high chair
                                                                                                      He shagged a race mare
                                                                                                      (thankfully it was not Jennies Jewel)

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

After reading Red Notice and listening to the same thing happen to Sergei Magnitsky and the backlash / Magnitzky act being created. It's still mad it was just accepted that this was his fate. Opposition politics in Russia not the most desirable of jobs.
                                                                                                        Unless you're one of the many fake 'opposition' figures bought and paid for by Putler.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                          Interesting timing given the Munich Security Conference kicks off today and some big names in attendance.

Comment

Unless you're one of the many fake 'opposition' figures bought and paid for by Putler.
                                                                                                            Hey, they have a nice clean metro

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Hey, they have a nice clean metro

That and the supermarket video, Uber cringe stuff.
                                                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

WSOP Schedule out for anyone that might care. Pondering heading towards the end and playing a couple of the low buy-in ones: https://www.wsop.com/2024/2024-WSOP-Schedule.pdf

Also, in music news, this'll be class: A Winged Victory for the Sullen & NSO play Jóhannsson https://www.nch.ie/all-events-listin...ient-symphony/

Comment

Watched those sora videos
                                                                                                                  Shit
                                                                                                                  Boring
                                                                                                                  Mediocre
                                                                                                                  Don’t be amazed because some Twitter gimp with an AI generated avatar or laser eyes tells you you should be.
                                                                                                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

I am never using a VR headset (which were supposed to be mainstream by now according to some on here) *
                                                                                                                    absolutely confident in saying they will never beat reality especially with the likes of Meta /Apple at the wheel

What an unbelievably shit version of progress /future it is

Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                                                      WSOP Schedule out for anyone that might care. Pondering heading towards the end and playing a couple of the low buy-in ones: https://www.wsop.com/2024/2024-WSOP-Schedule.pdf

Also, in music news, this'll be class: A Winged Victory for the Sullen & NSO play Jóhannsson https://www.nch.ie/all-events-listin...ient-symphony/
                                                                                                                      Nice one, Will try to get to that

whats this about

Seating: Main Stage Unreserved

Never saw that at the NCH before
                                                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Nice one, Will try to get to that

whats this about

Seating: Main Stage Unreserved

Never saw that at the NCH before
                                                                                                                        They do it the odd time. It's part of a concert series/festival where you can get combined tickets so probably easier than locking off a single seat for the few days

Comment

Trump fined $355m and barred from running a business in NY.
                                                                                                                          Good start to the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X