This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    Trump fined $355m and barred from running a business in NY.
    Good start to the weekend.
    Won't that save him money.

Comment

Tucker Carlson is some kind of cretin. He is however the voice of millions . Probably will express Sympathy to Putin at the death of his fellow countryman in Prison.

Comment

Can’t believe there’s people out there who go think it’s worth shelling out 330 euro to watch a 76 year old with a fucked voice from a long past it band from the other end of a football pitch
        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
          Tucker Carlson is some kind of cretin. He is however the voice of millions . Probably will express Sympathy to Putin at the death of his fellow countryman in Prison.
          I'm somewhat disappointed that Taylor Swift is too young to run for President. Suppose she has better things going on, though 2028 will be when it becomes an option.
          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
            Can’t believe there’s people out there who go think it’s worth shelling out 330 euro to watch a 76 year old with a fucked voice from a long past it band from the other end of a football pitch
            I've seen AC/DC four times. Been a lifelong fan, since 1979 when I first head the If You Want Blood.. album.

I have/had a decent record collection including an original of a rare 1977 radio promo (sold that a couple of years ago).

I even have a tattoo which I got in Australia 20 years ago.

Anyway, three times I saw them they were rad (1988 - skipped school to travel to Birmingham as a 16-y-o, 1991 or so and probably around 2000 - each time only with about 9,999 other people).

One time very disappointing (last time in Landsdowne Road maybe 10 years ago) with about 40 or 50K people.

Only one original member left now so I deffo wasn't going to bother this time.

Then 8-year old HiFi junior pipes up twice in the last week 'can we go and see AC/DC dad?' having heard the ads on the radio.

Hmmm. I figured if we got a seat so he could sit (or stand on it) and see the screens at least then that would be a pretty rad first gig for him to see that he'd remember for he rest of his life.

He doesn't have anything to compare it to. Doesn't know its hardly anyone left form the original band, or what is good or bad in this world in terms of sound .

I'm pretty sure that would be a memorable spectacle for a wee fella hanging out with his da.

But I was in meetings all morning so couldn't get tickets and now I'm bummed.

I'm sure I'll find a way to procure tickets but its not the end of the world if I don't... so yes, in a way you're right.

In another way, completely wrong.
            Last edited by BennyHiFi; 16-02-24, 22:17.

Comment

Bruce and the lads still put in a decent shift

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

I've seen AC/DC four times. Been a lifelong fan, since 1979 when I first head the If You Want Blood.. album.

I have/had a decent record collection including an original of a rare 1977 radio promo (sold that a couple of years ago).

I even have a tattoo which I got in Australia 20 years ago.

Anyway, three times I saw them they were rad (1988 - skipped school to travel to Birmingham as a 16-y-o, 1991 or so and probably around 2000 - each time only with about 9,999 other people).

One time very disappointing (last time in Landsdowne Road maybe 10 years ago) with about 40 or 50K people.

Only one original member left now so I deffo wasn't going to bother this time.

Then 8-year old HiFi junior pipes up twice in the last week 'can we go and see AC/DC dad?' having heard the ads on the radio.

Hmmm. I figured if we got a seat so he could sit (or stand on it) and see the screens at least then that would be a pretty rad first gig for him to see that he'd remember for he rest of his life.

He doesn't have anything to compare it to. Doesn't know its hardly anyone left form the original band, or what is good or bad in this world in terms of sound .

I'm pretty sure that would be a memorable spectacle for a wee fella hanging out with his da.

But I was in meetings all morning so couldn't get tickets and now I'm bummed.

I'm sure I'll find a way to procure tickets but its not the end of the world if I don't... so yes, in a way you're right.

In another way, completely wrong.
                It’s not sold out they will eventually be back on sale at normal price( which is still 140 or 150 I think
                base price for davin was 160
                good old dynamic pricing

dunno there is definitely limits to what it’s worth- nostalgia is a hell of a drug
                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

It’s not sold out they will eventually be back on sale at normal price( which is still 140 or 150 I think
                  base price for davin was 160
                  good old dynamic pricing

dunno there is definitely limits to what it’s worth- nostalgia is a hell of a drug
                  WOD are doing a few UK & Europe dates this Summer. Nothing announced yet for Dublin. Gimme a shout if you see one announced, I'll do likewise.
                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

WOD are doing a few UK & Europe dates this Summer. Nothing announced yet for Dublin. Gimme a shout if you see one announced, I'll do likewise.
                    Saw that will do- meant to stick it up here- heading to one of the London gigs
                    would go here too if they come but I guess they’ve been here last 2 years so prob less likely on the other hand def space on the schedule for them to add more- lots of big gigs on this summer so people have already laid out a lot of cash they might leave it
                    pearl jam next up on the fan gouging carousel next week
                    Last edited by MysteryGuest; 17-02-24, 10:18.

Comment

There tends be a big % of people who don't go to gigs for the show, and that tends to increase with the size of the venue. People want a day out I guess. Even MCD sell tickets now at the very back of places like Marlay Park and Malahide, for the people that pay 100 beans to go to a chip van and drink plastic pints in a
                      crowd.

Comment

For nostalgic reasons im off to Croatia to see the Boomtown Rats end of April. Using it as an excuse for a weekend too. For musical reasons went to Scotland recently , great weekend . Music is a great excuse to add a bit of colour to your life. AN acdc gig is an experience. The crowd are usually as entertaining as the gig itself. Money is just rent for living, spend it the fk.

Comment

"It doesn't matter how you were hurt or who hurt who"

Fucking hell

SF/IRA in power in both jurisdictions is a guarantee that the circumstances will arise again as they try to shove their vision of Ooh Aah Up the RA republicanism down the throats of a million British people in the North!
                          Last edited by Strewelpeter; 17-02-24, 12:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Fucking hell

SF/IRA in power in both jurisdictions is a guarantee that the circumstances will arise again as they try to shove their vision of Ooh Aah Up the RA republicanism down the throats of a million British people in the North!
                            Wow a MILLION of the cunts ?

Comment

Popped into the new DPC digs in Fairview. Have to say it looks a lot nicer than the bonnington.
                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                WSOP Schedule out for anyone that might care. Pondering heading towards the end and playing a couple of the low buy-in ones: https://www.wsop.com/2024/2024-WSOP-Schedule.pdf

/[/url]
                                Hoping to coordinate a work trip to coincide with something. The GG logo reminded me that anyone playing ACOP or Deepstack in coming weeks can buyin reg free through the GG client so 40e-70e to be saved.

I’m not sure but it may be available via a desk of theirs on the day but in case anyone decides last minute and aren’t aware.

Comment

Fucking hell

Fair play u picked on the words that give your bile the comfort to keep moaning
                                  As the lady said let’s move forward remember all the hurt but don’t bring it up all the time
                                  The world has seen enough hurt and is currently seeing a load more
                                  we have to move forward no matter who or what is in power

Get behind the movement going forward and give the next generation a chance to not be reminded of all the negative things that happened

Comment

Was hoping for good things from Kickys with its ex Chapter One team, but was not great imo. Some very weird flavours that just didn't work - including the inclusion of yeast in a sauce that accompanied some nice brill fillets. WTF are you thinking there chef? Also my bacon chop was almost dessert levels of sweetness and just plain odd.
                                    5/10
                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                      Popped into the new DPC digs in Fairview. Have to say it looks a lot nicer than the bonnington.
                                      That's not a particularly high bar to surpass.

What's the parking situation there?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                        Was hoping for good things from Kickys with its ex Chapter One team, but was not great imo. Some very weird flavours that just didn't work - including the inclusion of yeast in a sauce that accompanied some nice brill fillets. WTF are you thinking there chef? Also my bacon chop was almost dessert levels of sweetness and just plain odd.
                                        5/10
                                        Thats weird. I thought it was very good...between there and Ch1 I dont think Ive had anything I didn't like from him.

Comment

And more importantly…. Is there a bar there

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Thats weird. I thought it was very good...between there and Ch1 I dont think Ive had anything I didn't like from him.
                                            Yeah, we were surprised too. Maybe just a bad night.

They could do with one or two more choices on the menu as well. It's three per course which doesn't give you a lot of oprions.

Comment

Think there is free parking at the church next to the place.... Well you have to pay it, but think the DPC refund the cost. There is also parking in the estate around it if you know where to look
                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

How are the numbers at JP's new place?

Comment

Is he ready to host the ipb €100 buy in byob drunk stack reunion game is the real question.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Hoping to coordinate a work trip to coincide with something. The GG logo reminded me that anyone playing ACOP or Deepstack in coming weeks can buyin reg free through the GG client so 40e-70e to be saved.

I’m not sure but it may be available via a desk of theirs on the day but in case anyone decides last minute and aren’t aware.
                                                    Sound, it’ll save me the price of 4 or 5 pints i guess

Comment

Getting 60-80 a night. Weds and Sun €110 games doing well too, all games hitting guarantees so far

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Getting 60-80 a night. Weds and Sun €110 games doing well too, all games hitting guarantees so far
                                                        And cash games ? every night, some nights, never?

Comment

Any bigger cash games? Would love if somewhere would run a 5/10 NLH game once a week. Or even 2/5.

Comment

Fucking hell

They have no more ability to push their brand of sectarianism, than the Unionists have had for 25 years. And still have in fact. SF are not actually in power, it’s a power share. They don’t have a majority in the executive, it’s pitiful 27 seats out of 77. And 34 seats “in power” are Unionist.

It’s no more unfair on people identifying as British, than it always has been for the Irish in NI.

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

And cash games ? every night, some nights, never?
                                                              What what i see in the whatsapp group- generally at least 1 table NLH, 1 table PLO every night. Couple of days a week they start a PLO table st 6pm (maye Mondy and Saturday). No idea of how big they run but deffo not 5/10.

Comment

Some of the Sora testers that got access yesterday are posting some cool stuff.

Comment

The ongoing debate around whether it has some kind of internal physics model is fascinating. Friedberg on the All In pod seemed to side with the people saying that it has learned a basic physics model of our world. This guy works at Google's DeepMind and has lectured at Oxford for over a decade in AI/ML so should know a little about what he is talking about.

The only way a *finite sized* neural net can predict what will happen in any situation is by learning internal models that facilitate such predictions, including intuitive laws of physics. Given this intuition, I cannot find any reason to justify disagreeing with @DrJimFan. With more data of high quality, electricity, feedback (aka fine tuning, grounding), and parallel neural net models that can efficiently absorb data to reduce entropy, we will likely have machines that reason about physics better than humans, and hopefully teach us new things.​

Comment

^^^ yet still, my satnav sends me down dirt tracks...
                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Spent the weekend at House of Cards poker club I'm Ferns down in Wexford. Lovely little card room. Conor the owner is top class and a great atmosphere there. Stayed in a bnb 2km out the road for €100, landlady said she'd do it cheaper if booked direct with her. Would happily recommend it for anyone looking to venture to a new spot once in a while. Cash game rake is 5% capped at €8. And had a lively 1/2/5 NLH and a big round of each going.

Comment

Cantlay EW at The Riv
                                                                        Painful watching so far tonight

Comment

Painful watching so far tonight
                                                                          He's still there but a slog.

Rory in the commentary booth is more painful. Doesnt seem natural.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

The technology is mind blowing for sure, but, once the novelty wears off, other than the adverstising and show business industries using it for cost efficiencies what are the use cases?

Comment

He's still there but a slog.

Rory in the commentary booth is more painful. Doesnt seem natural.
                                                                              Pros watch it in the pub on mute

Comment

Pros watch it in the pub on mute
                                                                                Behind the sofa atm

Comment

Good explainer of the impact of this tech..

Comment

Make Trump eh not Great at all. At least according to historians who rank presidential greatness.

iu1?1708328136.png

Comment

Although there's some strange things in there for sure. No way is Obama in the top 10 of greatest ever presidents and surely Nixon should be worse than he is.

Comment

Good explainer of the impact of this tech..
                                                                                        I think this is a very honest open account of the tech being felt in general - https://www.tiktok.com/@artwithsage/video/7336169192372178218?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device =pc&web_id=7301233502783047200​

Her story is far from unique and if you go onto somewhere like the VFX forum on reddit. They are pretty hysterical about the impacts. The strange thing is that the technology has come for creative jobs far quicker than some of the areas we thought it would proliferate though first. I think this is the tip of the iceberg of what is coming. What do you want to do? Stop progress? This isn't anything new, technology has automated away jobs for decades.

Most people probably think AI is decades away from automating them because they look at the current iterations of AI in whatever job they do coupled with being used to seeing linear progress which tells them we are nowhere near close to replacing them. The truth is if you look at where AI video was a year ago and what it is now, these are step function gains that seem to come literally overnight and that will happen in all areas of the economy.

Sam Altman himself is screaming this stuff in interviews and telling governments they need to start preparing for what is coming.

Last edited by Opr; 19-02-24, 11:07.

Comment

Is it not the case that a lot of these jobs weren't doing great in the first place? Most of the people doing the grunt in video production work long hours for low pay. This is more like the final nail, than a crazy shock.

Comment

The hype and squirting over this stuff is so irritating.
                                                                                            after all the damage that has been done to society by Silicon Valley companies people still think this is going to be a win for them somehow?

never any discussion of the environmental impact either
                                                                                            Carrington event # 2 soon pls

Comment

The technology is mind blowing for sure, but, once the novelty wears off, other than the adverstising and show business industries using it for cost efficiencies what are the use cases?
                                                                                              You are talking about a very early iteration of something that will lead to all sorts of interesting products/services like personalised moves, games etc in ways we can't even currently imagine.

The research page is probably at the more interesting end of things from a larger perspective to humanity. The ongoing debate that I posted above around whether we should be capable of doing these sorts of things with current compute capacity or has the machine come up with new ways of doing things that we hadn't considered to allow that to happen, that is exciting.

we will likely have machines that reason about physics better than humans, and hopefully teach us new things.​
                                                                                              The research page talks about this being a world simulator. They show examples of it creating Minecraft world on the go while moving about in them. (Eh, this raise questions about the nature of reality but lets leave that one alone)

Originally posted by Sora Paper
                                                                                              Simulating digital worlds. Sora is also able to simulate artificial processes–one example is video games. Sora can simultaneously control the player in Minecraft with a basic policy while also rendering the world and its dynamics in high fidelity. These capabilities can be elicited zero-shot by prompting Sora with captions mentioning “Minecraft.”​
                                                                                              If they can achieve this simulation of our world then teach robots in simulations how to interact in our world through these simulations without the need for real world data it would be a game changer for that area.

Originally posted by Sora Paper
                                                                                              These capabilities suggest that continued scaling of video models is a promising path towards the development of highly-capable simulators of the physical and digital world, and the objects, animals and people that live within them.
                                                                                              I am probably scratching the surface with my very limited understanding of this area. The point is this is something they have created which happens to be along the road to far bigger things. That leads to advances in human knowledge, understanding and innovation in a vast array of different areas.
                                                                                              Last edited by Opr; 19-02-24, 12:13.

Comment

Surely there’s only two kind of people in relation to this stuff.
                                                                                                Those that are blown away by this progress,
                                                                                                And those that don’t understand it.

I also only see the audio/video media applications right now. Although more broadly across other creative fields.
                                                                                                But that’s a focusing on the current output, the who knows what the learning capabilities will be capable of next.

Comment

It is going to complete clean up the porn industry. Once we have a model that has ingested all of the OnlyFans training content and can spit out whatever deranged fantasy someone wants in seconds, no poor girl will ever need to get exploited again

Comment

AI won't help you win the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp but it might help you get into it by writing a limerick for free entry.

Limerick comp closes 29-Feb so get wordsmithing. Or just do like I did and ask Chat GPT to do it for you. Pretty shit imo. AI sucks!

There once was a jockey, Duke Raoul,
                                                                                                    Whose horse had a magnificent sprawl.
                                                                                                    In the race, they would zip,
                                                                                                    With each jolt, a wild trip,
                                                                                                    And the crowd cheered as they gave it their all.

Comment

Leading contenders so far:

The Limerick 5 furlongs Began,
                                                                                                      Frontrunner Laz, a greyhound or a man ?
                                                                                                      He checked his behind,
                                                                                                      Courier Cock he did find

I’ll come 1st now or I’ll get a whip ban.

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                                      Our Conor was hard to defeat
                                                                                                      Backed by the horsehead elite
                                                                                                      Some say they're snobs
                                                                                                      Most claim they're knobs
                                                                                                      All agree though that they're effete​!
                                                                                                      Originally posted by carlinrose View Post

There once was a horse called Raoul Duke,
                                                                                                      Whose wins were regarded a fluke.
                                                                                                      He came to fruition,
                                                                                                      on the last day of the competition,
                                                                                                      and made Carlin Rose want to puke.
                                                                                                      None of them are great TBF so get your entries in and show us how it should be done.​​

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                        Surely there’s only two kind of people in relation to this stuff.
                                                                                                        Those that are blown away by this progress,
                                                                                                        And those that don’t understand it.
                                                                                                        I think there is a 3rd set of people who do understand it or at least the scope of it reasonably well but aren’t blown away by the speed or output thus far.

Comment

It is going to complete clean up the porn industry. Once we have a model that has ingested all of the OnlyFans training content and can spit out whatever deranged fantasy someone wants in seconds, no poor girl will ever need to get exploited again

no worries sure it’ll just be normal women (an kids) staring in deranged shit that any nut with a chip on his shoulder can create (as is already happening)
                                                                                                          and I’m sure these companies will be implementing super super effective safety guardrails to stop this happening just like companies like Meta and Twitter have done
                                                                                                          Last edited by MysteryGuest; 19-02-24, 13:30.

Comment

no worries sure it’ll just be normal women (an kids) staring in deranged shit that any nut with a chip on his shoulder can create (as is already happening)
                                                                                                            and I’m sure these companies will be implementing super super effective safety guardrails to stop this happening just like companies like Meta and Twitter have done
                                                                                                            This is software. At the moment we have a couple of key players who are ahead of the pack because of the computing power required to train these things. They currently act as some kind of gate keepers but open source will not be far behind.

At the Speed of Light: Unveiling the Chip That’s Reimagining AI Processing

What do you want to happen? Do you want to ban computers? Maybe we should shut off the electricity grid?

Comment

A few places I've eaten in over the last few weeks;

Kicky's - Somewhat torn by this one. I am a huge fan of the head chef/owner but I didn't love it. Nothing was really wrong (although Mrs Lao Lao felt everything was too salty) but I just wasn't blown away by it. The portion sizes were huge and I left feeling completely over full which isn't a nice feeling. Yes, of course I could have not eaten everything but who does that! I would go back as it is still early days for the restaurant so there is room for them to improve over time.

Host - Top notch. It's pretty much on the same price point as Kicky's but the food was much nicer/fresher/lighter and the overall experience just seemed nicer, albeit, they are doing it for years and have it down dead pat at this stage.

L'Gueuleton - This isn't going to blow your socks off and the menu is relatively small but what they do, they do reasonably well and the price point is easy on the wallet. They also have a small but fairly decent wine list.

Lottie's - Sunday brunch and they are doing BYOB (between 1pm and 4pm) for only 10 quid corkage. Food was lovely and decent value @ 25 quid a main with options of pork, beef, fish or veggie (veggie option was cheaper) We had a few snacks, two mains, a side (which wasn't actually needed) and were full not to want desert so just had a truffle each. Total including tip and corkage was 90 quid. Also found a 2013 Meerlust in the cellar (aka under the stairs) when moving. I thought I'd drank the last one so that washed down lunch very nicely. Was a very nice way to spend a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon and was great value.

Comment

Why BYOB in Lotties if they have a Licence anyway?

Comment

Kicky's is a terrible name

Sounds like an 80's local chipper

Comment

People complaining about portion sizes being too big need to be wacked . We do not need these types shaping the offerings to the hungry men . I'm fed up hitting burger king 2 hours after a meal out.

Comment

The Spice Basket in Eddie Rockets is superb.
                                                                                                                      Somewhat disappointed by the Cheezy fries , not enough melted cheeze . Blue Cheese - if you like this I question your post covid taste buds . How is it made? Do they dip it in cow dung for flavour.

Comment

Why BYOB in Lotties if they have a Licence anyway?

Presume it's to encourage people to go out for a Sunday lunch at a cheaper price point. Cost of bottle of wine from the offie + 10 euro is generally cheaper than cost of same bottle in a restaurant due to the mark up plus a lot of people would already have wine on hand so the cost of it is a sunken cost so you judge it based on the tenner alone which is great value.

They don't offer BYOB for their regular dinner service, it's only between 1pm and 4pm on a Sunday

Comment

People complaining about portion sizes being too big need to be wacked . We do not need these types shaping the offerings to the hungry men . I'm fed up hitting burger king 2 hours after a meal out.

I thought you were just big boned?

I'm not against hearty portions and I'm certainly no slim Jim. But on this occasion, there was too much food. Normally, I never let food win, but it was all very rich when combined with large portions makes you waddle out the door and feel very uncomfortable

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X