This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    Obviously the no dependents thing completely changes the equation too.
    No kids, don’t need to worry about leaving a lump behind. Will probably look to retire in mid 50s.

The say a sustainable amount to withdraw is 4% if the first year, and adjust for inflation. So that’s be 1.5m in the pension to be drawing $60k year 1. Assuming an early ish retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Ya, it's not great, but with mortgage interest high, and other things to write off, it's not as bad as it was a few years back.
      Mortgage on the rental property going down each year too offsets tax paid on rental income, more or less.
      Did you hear about the new incentives to keep the property on the rental market?

In the first year, €3,000 of landlords’ rental income will be taxed at the standard 20 per cent rate rather than the higher rate, resulting in an additional €600 to the landlord. This will increase to €4,000 in 2025, resulting in a benefit of €800 to landlords, before rising again to €5,000 in both 2026 and 2027, which will result in a €1,000 annual benefit.

Not amazing but not bad!

Isn't there also a trend when closer to retirement age that you should lessen your pension risk (ie. Stocks) and put it in lower yield but less risky investment avenues so you don't run the risk of a market crash wiping out the pension pot when you are about to cash it out?
      That happened an IT lecturer I had about ten years ago, he was due to retire in 2009 and had the majority of his pension wrapped up in stocks.
      He was only still working to build up savings again, and he had to teach me, the poor fucker.
      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Once you greet her at the door every evening with a smile, a G&T and her house shoes, then let her unwind while you finish off the dinner preparation, remembering of course to keep the kids out of her hair while she destresses from the trials and tribulations of the day, she should be fine.
        Wearing of course a freshly laundered shirt and a subtle cologne. And to submit to demands for sex, even if I don't feel like it.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
          Isn't there also a trend when closer to retirement age that you should lessen your pension risk (ie. Stocks) and put it in lower yield but less risky investment avenues so you don't run the risk of a market crash wiping out the pension pot when you are about to cash it out?
          That happened an IT lecturer I had about ten years ago, he was due to retire in 2009 and had the majority of his pension wrapped up in stocks.
          He was only still working to build up savings again, and he had to teach me, the poor fucker.
          That seems like very old school thinking - surely you want to be invested in the best performing asset class (equities) both before and after retirement?

The S&P is up over 500% since 2009. He should have stuck it out and he'd be laughing now. Strikes me as an idiot - hope you didn't listen too closely.

Comment

"Please be a bit quieter in the mornings when you're getting ready for work, I'm trying to sleep here."

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

No kids, don’t need to worry about leaving a lump behind. Will probably look to retire in mid 50s.

The say a sustainable amount to withdraw is 4% if the first year, and adjust for inflation. So that’s be 1.5m in the pension to be drawing $60k year 1. Assuming an early ish retirement.
              Do you find that people are better provisioned in Oz with the mandatory superannuation?

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                "Please be a bit quieter in the mornings when you're getting ready for work, I'm trying to sleep here."
                tbf, that would be payback for the current situation where I get up at 7 and walk the dog. Come back at 7.45 and everyone is still in bed (5 min walk to work, 10 min cycle to school) so I make as much noise as possible in the kitchen breakfasting to try and wake their lazy asses up.

Comment

Do you find that people are better provisioned in Oz with the mandatory superannuation?
                  I’d speak to very few people close to retirement about how much is in their super. But yeah that would be my assumption, the mandatory system has to be far far better for those that would other wise be under provisioned.
                  It literally means young people start decades before they otherwise would.

There was a thread on Irish Finance on Reddit where people posted their age and current pension. A lot of people 35-45 with zero, which didn’t surprise me. A poster was shocked by a guy with $16k at 32.

Typical stoner, burger flipper in McDonalds, with zero career aspirations would be in a better position than that.

Comment

If the BBV lasts another decade/half I predict the Success rate of prostrate operations will be debated about and bowing our heads in salute to the fallen hero’s who nearly made it to retirement to enjoy their pension POT. If you can afford to get out of the working stiff scam , DO IT. Plan your retirement with the same zeal you did to your career. I don’t mean the pot , I mean the TIME. There is plenty you can do. Art/ Music, or perish the thought Gardening etc . If your work defines you enough that you’ve convinced yourself you actually really enjoy it, You are either very lucky or deluded.

To recap. PLAN FOR THE TIME.

PS I’m quite impressed that you boyz have so much funds ready to keep you in Grecian 2000 (still a thing?) for the rest of your lives. Well Played etc.

Comment

That seems like very old school thinking - surely you want to be invested in the best performing asset class (equities) both before and after retirement?

The S&P is up over 500% since 2009. He should have stuck it out and he'd be laughing now. Strikes me as an idiot - hope you didn't listen too closely.
                      This is especially more true these days where people are probably putting money into an ARF rather than an annuity.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                        [
                        PS I’m quite impressed that you boyz have so much funds ready to keep you in Grecian 2000 (still a thing?) for the rest of your lives. Well Played etc.
                        There’s a guy in work, getting well on. Definitely wrong side of 70. Comes in 1 day a week. I don’t even know what does. Used do maybe office admin stuff - stationary, collect mail, etc. Think he just farts about now until 4:30 and gets the wine and beer out for Friday drinks. Well past retirement, I think he’s just milking the free booze. Not the full shilling.

anyway your last comment reminded me of him. He was telling me he’s a standing order with a winery in the Hunter (they produce a single red wine that is know to be very good). Every year he gets 3 cases of this wine. And if the guide notes say the vintage will get better for 20 years, that’s what he does.
                        I think he said he now working through the 2006 cases, having skipped 2005. He still picked up 3 cases last year, with no plans to stop buying.

Hasn’t really made any connection between the 18 year backlog and the time he has left.

Comment

There’s a guy in work, getting well on. Definitely wrong side of 70. Comes in 1 day a week. I don’t even know what does. Used do maybe office admin stuff - stationary, collect mail, etc. Think he just farts about now until 4:30 and gets the wine and beer out for Friday drinks. Well past retirement, I think he’s just milking the free booze. Not the full shilling.

anyway your last comment reminded me of him. He was telling me he’s a standing order with a winery in the Hunter (they produce a single red wine that is know to be very good). Every year he gets 3 cases of this wine. And if the guide notes say the vintage will get better for 20 years, that’s what he does.
                          I think he said he now working through the 2006 cases, having skipped 2005. He still picked up 3 cases last year, with no plans to stop buying.

Hasn’t really made any connection between the 18 year backlog and the time he has left.
                          Just to clarify , Grecian 2000 is not a Vino , its for the ol silver foxes to get rid of the grey.

Comment

Sounds like a role model tbh . The thought of all the future boozing might be what's keeping him going.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Just to clarify , Grecian 2000 is not a Vino , its for the ol silver foxes to get rid of the grey.

Ah Sure I haven’t a single grey, assumed it was booze.

Sounds like a role model tbh . The thought of all the future boozing might be what's keeping him going.
                              It’s certainly an element to my retirement plan. But I’d look at it like the pension. Want to be drawing down with a view to polishing it off. Can’t bring it with you.

Comment

Yes, set goals like in your career . That fellow will see 90 and will down his vino with a nicely matured cheese.

Comment

It’s certainly an element to my retirement plan. But I’d look at it like the pension. Want to be drawing down with a view to polishing it off. Can’t bring it with you.
                                  I'd like to picture all my surviving relations gathered around for the reading of the will.

"yes, the deceased has specified that all of his remaining wine cellar be drunk on the day of his funeral. If any of you die as a result, he bought a double plot so chuck yourself in."

Comment

Picturing Willie now doing a father Jack and skulling bottles of hair dye for his fix.

Comment

No dependents either, and my cat can only inherit so much. Trying to get to grips with what would be a decent amount to retire with at 50 or 55 with inflation, but a paid off house. Like say my pension would be 2 mill by 67, well it would be a hell of a lot less by 50. Bit trickier as partner just started her new career at 30 with no savings, though she will inherit property and land in Budapest and her earnings should rise. I think that may be the boring option to save that much, so considering living more lavishly when young like moving to London and spending on all the things - gf loves Opera and it is 300 a ticket?! I bought my house alone, so we would buy a place there together, rent out this one and then it would be retiring later.

Also, my friends mother died yesterday, quite young. Fine one day, feeling ill and cancer the next, dead within a few days. Quite young. Maybe more of the living now isn't so bad.
                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 08-02-24, 14:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                        No dependents either, and my cat can only inherit so much. Trying to get to grips with what would be a decent amount to retire with at 50 or 55 with inflation, but a paid off house. Like say my pension would be 2 mill by 67, well it would be a hell of a lot less by 50. Bit trickier as partner just started her new career at 30 with no savings, though she will inherit property and land in Budapest and her earnings should rise. I think that may be the boring option to save that much, so considering living more lavishly when young like moving to London and spending on all the things - gf loves Opera and it is 300 a ticket?! I bought my house alone, so we would buy a place there together, rent out this one and then it would be retiring later.

Also, my friends mother died yesterday, quite young. Fine one day, feeling ill and cancer the next, dead within a few days. Quite young. Maybe more of the living now isn't so bad.
                                        Definitely don't stop yourself doing things now because you want to build up an uber pension to retire in luxury at 65. If you are happy to work later, do all the things you can now, you'l lstill save plenty especially with no kids. If you want to retire younger, still do most of what you want to now (I'd personally knock the opera tickets on the head, but each to their own) as you'll still be able to retire with a good sum, plus with an ARF, it'll remain invested too, so even when retired, on average it should still accrue value, so a 1m pension pot at 55 (which would be great, but sounds like what you'd be on target for) would still pay well over 1m by the time it has exhausted itself.

Some people, like SP, want to keep working because they enjoy the work and the life around it. I'm not one of those people. If bored with your free time, volunteer, get an allotment, travel, spend time with family/grandkids, travel to sports events, go back to college for the enjoyment of learning, there are loads of possibilities for whatever your finances and interests allow. Or work if that's what tickles your fancy.

Comment

Stopped 3 years ago, aged 48. To be honest a mixture of great timing and may or may not be exaggerating some medical issues which in turn activated an income continuance plan my employer had. It is said often but so true, unless you are working for yourself and enjoy what you do, get out as fast as you can, re reading Iagos' well yesterday cemented my decision to get off the train and prioritise time over money, im down around 3-400 a week but can afford to live within my means, will also have an inheritance that will clear my mortgage with some left over (in no rush for that )

OK, ill never buy a new car again, but what a waste of money that was changing every 3 years like a sheep. Wife still working away, civil service so she does 3 days in the office and 2 wfh. Young fellow is living and working down in Cork, hes 25 now so doing his own thing so doesnt cost me anything. Used to go foreign 3-4 times a year, since im not working and stressed anymore one a year will do me now.

Other than the health issues, things are working out grand. In saying that, noticed last december my feet were getting sore, then my knees and ankles, cricks in my neck for no reason, putting on shoes was like all the bones in my foot were broken, so painful, but after walking for 10 mins the pain would ease off, would wake me at night also. few blood tests later and it turns out i have rheumatoid arthritis, great genetics yet again...lol, saw a rheumatologist yesterday, gave me a steroid injection and the diffrence even after a few hours was amazing, even this morning i was able to put on my seatbelt without having to give me elbow a little hand with my right hand...something which i had been doing for a few years, just assumed everybody gets stiff as you get older ! Starting a course of medication that hopefully stops the autoimmune responses, the medicine has come a long way seemingly, long gone are the days of bent spines and twisted up knarled hands.

Oh, and getting a puppy in 4 weeks ! Meet Freddy.

image.jpg

26 years since i had a dog, fun times ahead !
                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Ole living life right!

Comment

I also have a Freddy!

image.png

Comment

Picturing Willie now doing a father Jack and skulling bottles of hair dye for his fix.
                                                Attached Files

Comment

The ‘standard’ wisdom is between 3-4% withdrawal rate (unless you’re Dave Ramsey..and who listens to him anymore?? in which case it’s 6-7%)

or 125 times your monthly spend.

here’s the thing though, as tar and willie have highlighted , who knows what tomorrow brings? It would be an Alanis morrisette level of awful to give up 15 years and drop the next day.

I was reading a thread in an early retirement forum last night, a woman and her partner aged 62 and 64, monthly income from pensions $3k and monthly spend $2.6k with $150k in investments/savings. General view was one of discomfort at the relative closeness of the two numbers & the lack of options should something out of the ordinary occur.

immediately below that thread was a guy with $3m in investment/savings and an annual spend of $60k wondering when he would be ‘safe’ to retire.

i think in general people massively overestimate how much they need but I completely understand that because as RDIII pointed out, having more money than you need is a much better problem than not having enough to survive.

if, to Denny’s point you are more willing to leave your offspring/family fend for themselves or at minimum leave them whatever is left AFTER you do everything you want to do
                                                  and/or you’re willing to use geographical arbitrage the way Hectorjelly does then you can massively reduce the numbers needed.

it’s such a personal thing though, calculations based on individual risk aversions, family preoccupations and willingness to discomfort yourself along with personal ‘minimum standards of living’ that the number for me bears no resemblance to the number for somebody else. Sometimes it takes a sharp shock/once in a lifetime opportunity like Oleras in order to step off the precipice. It will always be easier to just say ‘one more year’ than jump into the unknown.

thing that’s a new record for poster mentions in one post!
                                                  Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

what sort of dog is your Freddy ole?

Comment

Ole living life right!
                                                      ill be 100% honest, I do pinch myself sometimes and realise what I have...but still wary of " how do you make the Gods laugh"....

Wife had a breast check before xmas, standard over 50 thing. Letter comes in a few weeks later asking her to go to Cork for more tests and biposys, lump showed up...that was a shitty week for everyone, thankfully all came back as benign, but you never know whats around the corner, father was dead by 49, brother dead at 48, i wasnt prepared to roll the dice and "hope" to draw down the old age pension.
                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

what sort of dog is your Freddy ole?
                                                        Father is a cocapoo, mother bichon.
                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but it's worth reducing your expectation to reduce your variance when you are close to retirement age.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Father is a cocapoo, mother bichon.
                                                            So it's a bicocapoo or a cocapoon?

Comment

So it's a bicocapoo or a cocapoon?
                                                              If you insist, I dont have notions so its a mix or as we used to say, a mongrel

albeit a €400 mongrel.
                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but it's worth reducing your expectation to reduce your variance when you are close to retirement age.
                                                                I genuinely thought I was going mad there for a moment.

I'm relatively still a spring chicken versus a lot on this forum, but all 3 (not including the current one from University) of my pensions stated that it starts off at level 7 risk (high) and then winds back to like 2/1 come nearer to retirement so it's not wiped out?

Like the guy in my example, great saying ah sure keep the pension pot in there for 10 years untouched,
                                                                but if your 2 mil pension gets to 2008 and is then worth only 200k, you
                                                                A. Can't start withdrawing anything and
                                                                B. Still need to live on some income that sustains slightly more than beans on toast.
                                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Anyone been to Singapore? Any must-dos foodwise or tourism wise?

Comment

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I fully intend to be in equities up to retirement age - and to be in equities after!

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

I genuinely thought I was going mad there for a moment.

I'm relatively still a spring chicken versus a lot on this forum, but all 3 (not including the current one from University) of my pensions stated that it starts off at level 7 risk (high) and then winds back to like 2/1 come nearer to retirement so it's not wiped out?

Like the guy in my example, great saying ah sure keep the pension pot in there for 10 years untouched,
                                                                      but if your 2 mil pension gets to 2008 and is then worth only 200k, you
                                                                      A. Can't start withdrawing anything and
                                                                      B. Still need to live on some income that sustains slightly more than beans on toast.
                                                                      Think it's outdated advice. Even at 65 you're expecting to live 20-30 years. With that timeline you'd need to be in equities.

And a broad market investment isn't going to drop 90% in as 2008 style crash.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Get those dog pics in
                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                            Get those dog pics in

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-13 at 15.28.11_f9c9b4fb.jpg

Comment

Definitely all equities when you retire, it could be decades, you should adjust outgoings based on variance if needed.
                                                                              The default fund in my pension starts derisking 10 or 15 years from retirement, that's criminal, almost as much so as their fees.

Comment

Gonna be some laugh when the pension Prudies get shafted.
                                                                                Enjoy your life now in the long to medium run we are getting shafted- oldies dying around now had the best of it
                                                                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                  Gonna be some laugh when the pension Prudies get shafted.
                                                                                  Enjoy your life now in the long to medium run we are getting shafted- oldies dying around now had the best of it
                                                                                  And to make matters worse them Rugby boyz are all filthy rich . Well maybe just the Leinster lads .

Comment

I've tried to pretend i'm down and cool whilst listening to Irelands Eurovision entry. Ok it might do very well by todays pandering sycophantic pretentious standards i really wanted to like it. . It's terrible . and i'm no parish priest.

Disappointing, we do have the talent so more tripe representing us.

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

The Putin/Tucker interview is up. So far it is Putin giving Tucker a history lesson on the region, I am about 10 minutes in and he is only up to mid 16th century

GF4ZWJYXEAAQJ6z?format=jpg&name=small.jpg
                                                                                        Last edited by Opr; 09-02-24, 11:58. Reason: Add meme

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1744933&d=1707481590&type=thumb
                                                                                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I’m with Denny and RDIII on this one, the idea of taking more balance risk towards retirement was historically based on converting it all to a fixed income on retirement in an annuity. Those rules were changed a number of years back giving you the option of an approved Retirement Fund (ARF) which allows you to stay invested post retirement whilst drawing down (around 6% from memory) a year as income. Given longer life expectations and controlling your own investments it made less sense to more entirely to fixed rate/bond investments at retirement, especially in a low rate environment as you’re passing up on the best performing asset class over time I.e. equities. This is even more so the case with people who have separate defined benefit pension schemes with work and the ARF was part of an extra pension/AVCs.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                              I’m with Denny and RDIII on this one, the idea of taking more balance risk towards retirement was historically based on converting it all to a fixed income on retirement in an annuity. Those rules were changed a number of years back giving you the option of an approved Retirement Fund (ARF) which allows you to stay invested post retirement whilst drawing down (around 6% from memory) a year as income. Given longer life expectations and controlling your own investments it made less sense to more entirely to fixed rate/bond investments at retirement, especially in a low rate environment as you’re passing up on the best performing asset class over time I.e. equities. This is even more so the case with people who have separate defined benefit pension schemes with work and the ARF was part of an extra pension/AVCs.
                                                                                              I agree that you don't have to switch to Fixed Income entirely, but it makes sense to reduce your risk once you are no longer earning yourself. Also I think people are really over indexing on the US stock market returns since 2006, you can't assume it will be like that forever.

Comment

I agree that you don't have to switch to Fixed Income entirely, but it makes sense to reduce your risk once you are no longer earning yourself. Also I think people are really over indexing on the US stock market returns since 2006, you can't assume it will be like that forever.
                                                                                                Sure, go back to 1906 in that case. The long term doesn't lie.

And yes, there will be variance. But overall the trend is your friend as we finance types say while pointing at squiggles.

Comment

Agreed on both parts, but the theory before was that as you reached 60 you’d start decreasing until you were almost all FI, so hence the point. I think a balanced portfolio of around 60-40 FI/equity makes sense in retirement assuming you haven’t priced to perfection.

Comment

It's our first tournament life debate in years.

Comment

Finally people have noticed that Biden is goosed
                                                                                                      must be a good chance he won’t be the candidate on election day he may not even live that long

Some indictment of the States they couldn’t come up with an alternative
                                                                                                      saw him talking about Israel earlier - if he was related to me I’d have called an ambulance
                                                                                                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Please make me a solver for 2-7 Triple Draw and report back.
                                                                                                        The guy who I posted about the other day who made the first NL solver also made one for this too back in 2014!!! Raul González and Trueteller both commissioned him to make a solver for this game. They became the best in the world at the game very quickly from a point of not playing it all using his solver, holding lobbies and made millions on the back of it. The guy who made the solver had 40% of them in the deal.

Trueteller was always known as some poker genius savant. I remember he was extremely well regarded because he was willing to play all the games when he move to playing live Its a little disappointing to hear he was so far ahead because he was literally using solvers for years before others.

2+2 thread with some more details

Comment

must be a good chance he won’t be the candidate on election day he may not even live that long

saw him talking about Israel earlier - if he was related to me I’d have called an ambulance
                                                                                                          That's a pity. I was waiting on signing off on my mortgage before laying him heavily.

Comment

Would the Ambulance be for you or him

Comment

Lads what does it mean when you say a '€1m pension pot'?

Are you actually accruing a milly over your career through savings and investments?

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

That's a pity. I was waiting on signing off on my mortgage before laying him heavily.
                                                                                                                11/4 now with B365 which must be unprecedented for a sitting prez with no serious primary challenger.

Comment

Maybe Hill- dawg could go again? She’s only a spritely 76

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

The guy who I posted about the other day who made the first NL solver also made one for this too back in 2014!!! Raul González and Trueteller both commissioned him to make a solver for this game. They became the best in the world at the game very quickly from a point of not playing it all using his solver, holding lobbies and made millions on the back of it. The guy who made the solver had 40% of them in the deal.

Trueteller was always known as some poker genius savant. I remember he was extremely well regarded because he was willing to play all the games when he move to playing live Its a little disappointing to hear he was so far ahead because he was literally using solvers for years before others.

2+2 thread with some more details
                                                                                                                    Cool! I would love to play around with one. Its pretty dead on Stars now unfortunately, as it was the only poker variant I was ever any good at. I watched the JLlama 2-7 course from Upswing and Trueteller features in a lot of the HH reviews. I would be surprised if he was the only one using a solver. The standard of advice in the Upswing course compared to DeathDonkeys one on DC 10 years earlier is unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                                      Lads what does it mean when you say a '€1m pension pot'?

Are you actually accruing a milly over your career through savings and investments?
                                                                                                                      A million in your occupational pension(s), yes.

Comment

Be very interesting to see how the Biden thing plays out. I imagine Jill Biden is the key.

Republicans should be careful what they wish for imo. Some more vigorous Dem would trounce Trump even worse.

Comment

Cool! I would love to play around with one. Its pretty dead on Stars now unfortunately, as it was the only poker variant I was ever any good at. I watched the JLlama 2-7 course from Upswing and Trueteller features in a lot of the HH reviews. I would be surprised if he was the only one using a solver. The standard of advice in the Upswing course compared to DeathDonkeys one on DC 10 years earlier is unbelievable!
                                                                                                                          Yeah this is just this guys story about the solver that he created and sold along with a few players who got it who are willing to go on the record. I am sure there are plenty off the record. Its fairly well known that Ben Sulky (Sauce) entered botting competition with his Dad, Ike Haxton has always been rumoured to be one of the first with the dreammachine and he was a Computer Science student at Brown. I'd say if you look at players who were huge outliers at any game like OTB_Redbaron who completely crushed the field online its likely they had tools others didn't yet.

Interesting post from Kanu (Alex Millar) towards the end of that 2+2 thread I posted.

Enjoyed watching that interview. Perhaps an interesting fact considering that I was apparently one of the very first people in the world to have access to a solver is that I did very little HU solver analysis in my whole career. By the time I got access to Oleg's solver, I could only really get HU action from sauce and ike (jungle wasn't playing on stars at that point in time and this was before Doug rose right to the top so he'd taken a few losing shots at me but didn't really play me). I knew sauce and his dad entered bots in the computer bot competition and I had an inkling that ike might have a solver or at least be developing one so I thought if I used it to work on HU, I'd just be in a solver battle vs sauce and ike, which didn't sound too appealing. I haven't had confirmation either way from them about it, but it sounds like they may have not had access to a solver at that point in time, so maybe it would have been worth my while. I knew about the academic papers posted on solvers though so I assumed some of the other top guys must be doing something in that direction too but perhaps I overestimated how well people were doing with it.

Anyway, I decided to focus on 6 max and did an absolute ton of work with one other guy looking at a bunch of 6max spots. If I remember right we were paying Oleg for each flop studied to some degree and each calculation took days so we were trying to run the minimum spots initially and spent a lot of time and effort extracting concepts, often to find that there was a flaw in our thinking when some other situation didn't play as we expected. We wrote well over a hundred k words of analysis (maybe much more, I can't remember) in total and definitely did pretty well in that period of time before public solvers came out.

It's probably hard to imagine these days, now that so much coaching material has been published using solvers but it was pretty overwhelming initially. All of a sudden we just had access to huge amounts of information and had to work out what to focus on, how to take concepts from it, how to implement any of it in our games. I remember the first thing I did was decide I was going to work things out in detail to get a full understanding of the game and spent a while trying to work out why KhQs was betting so much more than KsQh on the first flop I looked at etc. Quickly abandoned that approach after writing pages on one flop and then realising there were now 40+ turns to analyse and then thousands of rivers just from that one flop. Nowadays you could probably get as much info from an hour long coaching video as we could get from a month of analysis but there were some fairly crucial early insights we had which definitely gave us a nice edge on the competition for a while.​
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Opr; 09-02-24, 21:39.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X