This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
    Solksjaer! did you add it to your repotoire? I'm easily 100 of the 5k views. Think it's a cracking way to perform it.

A clever version. Knows the vocal challenge well. Everytime I try to sing like Colin Hay I get depressed :-) . I guess i could do a lower register version but would probably insult the great Mr Hay. Saw him a couple of times . Very amusing stories but come on Colin sing us a few chunes. Overkill is an easy one to play , just power chords but when he takes it high wahhh.
    love his voice. Yer born with it. Mine whilst in tune is annoying tbh. No texture . Boo

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

The only journalists I knew were the ones who did the course in the College of Commerce in Rathmines back in the 80's. Has there been a more direct path in a uni since then?

Don't think it's about choosing shortcuts, though other than influencer stuff it up there with writing poetry as a job now.
      we'd have to blame zuut's uni for that. everyone does the journalism masters in his place.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Check out this . Typical Hay .

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

we'd have to blame zuut's uni for that. everyone does the journalism masters in his place.
          Ah no, I don't think it's about blame. Things change. Like I don't think it's terrible that bands can no longer become multi millionaires off of a couple of good albums. It's just different to how it used to be.
          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

He's some man for one man.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
              This parenting thing is really impacting my sports intake.
              Give it 5 years and it will be back through the roof, albeit not quite at the previous standard you are used to viewing.

Comment

2016 a Whos who of celebrity music deaths. One up and coming band VIOLA BEACH wiped out in Stockholm. Might have been missed in the noise . Never saw this tribute that year. Touching tribute

Comment

That is an ugly draw
                  GG Stephen Kenny

actually genuinely excited re Irish women’s soccer team this week
                  Definetly best achievement by an Irish international team in any sport of any gender this year just getting this far
                  will be nice to have a proper international World Cup to look forward to next year
                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Its mad though, isn't it, that you have something that couldn't possibly make sense, and it still gets published as a story without an attempt to even, for example, ring one of the funds to find out what the story was. We have switched to journalists being judged based on the number of clicks they generate, its barely even a professional anymore. I'd imagine the older journalists are appalled by the whole thing. They would have all been taught this as well - they all do journalism in the same uni and its a very decent course - but seems they then graduate and choose to take a shortcut.
                    This is an accurate hot take from Hitch actually I'm over 20 years in the media game and pretty much each year since the late 00s I've seen standards (and investment) decline.

My stint in a national newspaper was the most depressing media experience I've had. Chasing clicks, no sub editing (I used to proofread some of their stories when I was bored and then send them feedback about the typos/grammar mistakes - guess how popular THAT made me in the newsroom )

Then there were the older dinosaurs - mostly print focused, largely disdainfull of anything digital - who simply couldn't adjust to the new world order and hated being held to account by the numbers guys (ie. anyone who could operate Google Analytics).

Indeed, the one benefit of the drive for clicks is that it really exposed the emperors new clothes of the indentured, self-appointed public opinion guardians - they didn't like it one little bit that the digital numbers essentially never lied, unlike their favoured but bloated readership numbers that they used to hide behind to justify their even more bloated salaries.

Essentially the old brigade were as bad as the new recruits because the few that DID understand the digital revolution were promoted through the ranks as sympathisers and became the hated 'management' and were forced themselves to force the clickbait culture on their organisations and former colleagues (remember Stephen Rea anyone - whatever happened to him?) but it was a short term smokescreen and the house of cards has been in a death spiral for over a decade. It was a poisonous culture (everyone's words internally) - they ALL hated the place.

Like many journalists I traversed a path through PR and like only a few into the broader marketing/corporate content world. Much safer and boring for sure but equally a much better work/life balance, respect and no alpha egos harshing your buzz on a daily basis.

Don't get me started on 'content creators' though who hardly ever have any formal journalism training, wouldn't know one end of a style guide from another, and think posting a link on social media equals marketing.

It makes me weep.
                    Last edited by BennyHiFi; 09-10-22, 14:40.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                      That is an ugly draw
                      GG Stephen Kenny

actually genuinely excited re Irish women’s soccer team this week
                      Definetly best achievement by an Irish international team in any sport of any gender this year just getting this far
                      will be nice to have a proper international World Cup to look forward to next year
                      Kenny and the lads are screwed, anyone with a brain has zero expectations. Beating Greece over the two ties would be a positive result. Any points taken from Netherlands or France are a bonus. Interested to see how we eventually fair out against two real top teams that play proper football. Maybe some of the current squad that was blooded by Kenny can kick on. A few decent players from the U20s to add to the squad too. No one looks being a world-beater though.

On the plus side, some short breaks to Amsterdam, Paris or Athens are on the cards.
                      Last edited by coillcam; 09-10-22, 16:00.

Comment

New housing estate being built in a town near me
                        making a big deal about the fact houses are a rated- heat pumps etc- future proofed is the term used.

went on to that flood map site to check location and and it’s projected to be below annual flood level by 2050 under good case sea level rise- wtf
                        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Australia has forced Google to pay their news outlets for sharing their stories rather than compensating by clicks:

SYDNEY – More than a dozen years ago, the US Federal Trade Commission sponsored an ominously titled workshop, “How Will Journalism Survive the Internet Age?” The gathering included a number of dignitaries, but the marquee name was one familiar around the world: Rupert Murdoch. He used the stage to rail against his digital competitors: “​​Our […]

That’s a step in the right direction but it’s hard to imagine a scenario where speed to publication is not key.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Raoul Duke III runs tomorrow in Killarney
                              Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

New housing estate being built in a town near me
                                making a big deal about the fact houses are a rated- heat pumps etc- future proofed is the term used.

went on to that flood map site to check location and and it’s projected to be below annual flood level by 2050 under good case sea level rise- wtf
                                I'd guess we're not going to lose barely an inch of land to global warming. A third of the Netherlands is below sea level. You just work with it. The technology for keeping out the sea is decades, maybe centuries old. We're not just going to sit around and go 'whoops, I appear to have a swimming pool as my living room, how did that happen, I'd better abandon my house', we'll have decades to prepare and it will all be solved. Sea barriers etc. Solved expensively, of course, but sure thats just the way.

Comment

hmm. I feel there needs to be some form of phrasing improvement here. With the 'a tragic mother' opener. Surely there needs to be some acknowledgement in the phrasing that she killed her own fucking kid. How many of these cases are there? There was another one two weeks ago.

A tragic mother and her seven-month-old baby boy may have been dead in their home since Thursday before their bodies were discovered on Saturday afternoon it has emerged.

They were named locally tonight as Kate Donohoe who was aged in her 40s and her baby son Vincent.

Gardaí are working on the theory that the shocking incident is a murder-suicide after a note was discovered at the scene in a house in Clonee on the border of west Dublin and Co Meath.

Comment

hmm. I feel there needs to be some form of phrasing improvement here. With the 'a tragic mother' opener. Surely there needs to be some acknowledgement in the phrasing that she killed her own fucking kid. How many of these cases are there? There was another one two weeks ago.
                                    The terminology used in situations like this is very specific. You can read about them on the Samaritan’s site. The goal is to avoid other vulnerable people doing something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

The terminology used in situations like this is very specific. You can read about them on the Samaritan’s site. The goal is to avoid other vulnerable people doing something similar.
                                      Did I read the wrong bits?

Here's the Samaritan's Guide to Media Reporting of Murder-Suicide. It doesn't say anything about using sympathetic terms to describe the perpetrator. The main Samaritan's Guide to Media Reporting of Suicide similarly doesn't set that out. The only terms suggested are on page 12 of the second guide, and don't include this either. Indeed, it gives a recommendation that there be a link to the Samaritans included in an article, which isn't included in this Indo article. Which suggests they haven't actually adhered to the guide, in general. It doesn't really make sense either that sympathetic terms would be recommended to describe perpetrators in murder-suicide, if the goal is to reduce vulnerable people considering the same. I'm not - in the slightest - suggesting a negative tone should be used, just a neutral tone. Personally find it horrific that idea of the poor kid being buried next to the person who murdered them, which you sometimes see.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                        Raoul Duke III runs tomorrow in Killarney
                                        I'll be heading down there tomorrow with Bayou Belle. She is stepping up a lot in distance and on much softer ground than her best runs. Running a second time on firm at Clonmel was a mistake so if it hasn't fckd with her head and she handles the ground I'll be surprised it the distance is a problem for her, the race is a bit more competitive than I'd have expected. She worked very well last week but it's impossible to have any confidence about her. Jarlath's other runner should have a decent chance but it's price probably a bit skinny at 4/1.
                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Here's the Samaritan's Guide to Media Reporting of Murder-Suicide. It doesn't say anything about using sympathetic terms to describe the perpetrator. The main Samaritan's Guide to Media Reporting of Suicide similarly doesn't set that out. The only terms suggested are on page 12 of the second guide, and don't include this either. Indeed, it gives a recommendation that there be a link to the Samaritans included in an article, which isn't included in this Indo article. Which suggests they haven't actually adhered to the guide, in general. It doesn't really make sense either that sympathetic terms would be recommended to describe perpetrators in murder-suicide, if the goal is to reduce vulnerable people considering the same. I'm not - in the slightest - suggesting a negative tone should be used, just a neutral tone. Personally find it horrific that idea of the poor kid being buried next to the person who murdered them, which you sometimes see.
                                          I don’t know the terminology that should be used, I just knew that the Samaritans gave guidelines and what the goals of those are.

I suppose I would take it at face value that the language used in these situations is quite considered.

Headline might be of interest, they specifically work with the media on coverage in this space, that link covers some what you’re alluding to.

Comment

I sympathise with your POV here but probably best not to defend your point too emotionally. 2 lives gone both apparently victims to a mental condition. The target should be helping to identify these potential situations by recognizing the signs. Does it matter where or when the victims are buried.

That Donegal accident will deeply effect a lot of people up there. I hope there is free counselling offered to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Kenny and the lads are screwed, anyone with a brain has zero expectations. Beating Greece over the two ties would be a positive result. Any points taken from Netherlands or France are a bonus. Interested to see how we eventually fair out against two real top teams that play proper football. Maybe some of the current squad that was blooded by Kenny can kick on. A few decent players from the U20s to add to the squad too. No one looks being a world-beater though.

On the plus side, some short breaks to Amsterdam, Paris or Athens are on the cards.
                                              Zero expectations here hopefully we will get playoff place from nations league regardless

if he gets a bad start(loses to Greece and tonked by France) all the media ex pros who played in England will be out for blood

Comment

Do you not think it tragic that someone killed their kid, and then themselves?. It's so close to the literal definition of the word.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I sympathise with your POV here but probably best not to defend your point too emotionally. 2 lives gone both apparently victims to a mental condition. The target should be helping to identify these potential situations by recognizing the signs. Does it matter where or when the victims are buried.
                                                  You're right.

Comment

Do you not think it tragic that someone killed their kid, and then themselves?. It's so close to the literal definition of the word.
                                                    I suppose. And I'm definitely not getting at there needing to be negative tones used. Nothing even close to that. I suppose in a small way I felt it didn't quite give due deference to the murdered child to open the article with the mother's tragedy.

Comment

Zero expectations here hopefully we will get playoff place from nations league regardless

if he gets a bad start(loses to Greece and tonked by France) all the media ex pros who played in England will be out for blood
                                                      Tbf most of those pros had the knives sharpened since day 1 and they're still pushing their agenda to get pundit/newspaper gigs. Nations league is way better to have than friendlies imo. A fair but still tough chance to qualify.

If I'm in FAI hq with any influence, I'm thinking this lad and backroom team are far cheaper than Big Sham or the next charlatan rattling the poorbox after being shafted from a gig in the championship. FAI is skint and Kenny stays for a few more years. Unless there's some really bad PR/implosion. Or the unlikely event that big job offer lands on his lap.

Yet there's still a large group of people think there's a magical wand to conjur results and manufacture world class players out of thin air. A bizarre deluded sense of entitlement that we're some dormant football superpower.

He's a good egg, tries to play modern football and gives the kids a chance. There isn't much more to add to brief atm. A few scalps would be nice and a good run at qualifying to keep up the interest levels would do wonders.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

I'll be heading down there tomorrow with Bayou Belle. She is stepping up a lot in distance and on much softer ground than her best runs. Running a second time on firm at Clonmel was a mistake so if it hasn't fckd with her head and she handles the ground I'll be surprised it the distance is a problem for her, the race is a bit more competitive than I'd have expected. She worked very well last week but it's impossible to have any confidence about her. Jarlath's other runner should have a decent chance but it's price probably a bit skinny at 4/1.
                                                        10/1 now in places, GL with it and enjoy the outing. Hang around long enough to cheer an hour later.
                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Clare Daly and Mick Wallace appear quite upset that their own pro-Russian (and pro-Assad, hmm, what a coincidence) words could be held against them.

Comment

Armed ERU on the mean streets of Killarney these days Strewel, don't be up to anything shifty

Comment

You're right.
                                                              The publics appetite for every lurid detail of tragic events fuels the emotive reporting is guess. The Donegal explosion is as tragic as it gets but I don't need to know what the victims had for breakfast on the morning of the explosion.

What is the value of naming the woman and posting her photo with her baby in the national press?
                                                              A mother and her seven-month-old baby boy may have been dead in their home since Thursday before their bodies were discovered on Saturday afternoon, it has emerged.
                                                              Last edited by Wombatman; 10-10-22, 10:56.
                                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                Armed ERU on the mean streets of Killarney these days Strewel, don't be up to anything shifty
                                                                Should probably taser him on sight just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                  Is that because of the totally well-behaving ethnic sub-division of our population that totally cannot all be tarred with the same brush?

Comment

I'd guess we're not going to lose barely an inch of land to global warming. A third of the Netherlands is below sea level. You just work with it. The technology for keeping out the sea is decades, maybe centuries old. We're not just going to sit around and go 'whoops, I appear to have a swimming pool as my living room, how did that happen, I'd better abandon my house', we'll have decades to prepare and it will all be solved. Sea barriers etc. Solved expensively, of course, but sure thats just the way.
                                                                    Glad to see solidarity from a Dublin dwelling taxpayer with his rural brethren- not sure you’ve thought through just how much that would actually cost- keeping the North Sea at bay slightly different to the Atlantic but sure if you’re happy to pay for it

Comment

Is that because of the totally well-behaving ethnic sub-division of our population that totally cannot all be tarred with the same brush?
                                                                      I find your post horrifically biased against Kerrymen. Michael Healy-Rea will probably remove his cap in the Dail in protest.

Comment

As someone said somewhere once: it's so sad that you have the 99% of the community giving the 1% a bad name.

Comment

As someone said somewhere once: it's so sad that you have the 99% of the community giving the 1% a bad name.
                                                                          There's way more than 1% of Kerrymen giving the place a bad name.

The Healy-Reas got 25k first preference votes between them last time out.

Comment

a non-runner I see if anyone was planning to plunge heavily later

Comment

Not fair, Ya shag just one sheep ....

Comment

Glad to see solidarity from a Dublin dwelling taxpayer with his rural brethren- not sure you’ve thought through just how much that would actually cost- keeping the North Sea at bay slightly different to the Atlantic but sure if you’re happy to pay for it
                                                                                Its the least he can do after the many Dublin 'love ins' you have on here.

Comment

Wasn't there some old saying about this? "If the Dutch lived in Ireland they'd have ruled the world. If the Irish lived in the Netherlands they'd have drowned".

Comment

UL sp, had to go the long way round in the straight and the bird had flown

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Wasn't there some old saying about this? "If the Dutch lived in Ireland they'd have ruled the world. If the Irish lived in the Netherlands they'd have drowned".
                                                                                      You got it mixed up. The saying is. If it wasnt for Dutch Gold the Irish would rule the world.

Comment

Back 9 of my match with NotAScratch, some generous gimmies and I even give him a mulligan but who cares, it's all about fun right. Course looks unreal as usual.

As promised, here's the back 9 of our match at Banff Springs Golf CourseCheck out SwingTweaks on the App Store: https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/swingtweaks/id1...
                                                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

well done, great promo for the app. is it available on android yet?

I played a pro am a few weeks ago and the pro we got matched with was taking vidoes of us on the tee and going through them with us afterwards over dinner.
                                                                                          Cheers Noel. I'm quite happy with the promo and judging by the number of sign ups this afternoon, it seems to be resonating. There will be another video out soon at my home course, we played a little 2v2 match vs some buddies of mine, that will include more Swingtweaks promo stuff.

Android, not yet, but coming soon.

Yeah, it's incredible how much you can learn from a keen professional eye going through your swing video with you. If nothing else it lets you have a consistent and singular swing thought which tbh is the key to improving imo.
                                                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Hitch some ftiendly advice, don’t post about your newfound love of Kanye on twitter

Comment

Whatever about the language in the murder suicide reporting, I've just seen an RTE headline that said one of the women victims of the Donegal petrol station blast "Lit up every room."

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Cheers Noel. I'm quite happy with the promo and judging by the number of sign ups this afternoon, it seems to be resonating. There will be another video out soon at my home course, we played a little 2v2 match vs some buddies of mine, that will include more Swingtweaks promo stuff.

Android, not yet, but coming soon.

Yeah, it's incredible how much you can learn from a keen professional eye going through your swing video with you. If nothing else it lets you have a consistent and singular swing thought which tbh is the key to improving imo.
                                                                                                Great promo. How are the golf pros responding to it? Are they signing up too?
                                                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Great promo. How are the golf pros responding to it? Are they signing up too?
                                                                                                  Man, I could write a novel on this. Suffice to say we are like marmite. 50/50, there is a number of subset of pro's that are all over it, and a vocal subset that think it's the devil.

Golf is so traditional is so many ways, and this is something that ruffles a lot of feathers. Don't really want to post about this issue too much here, but happy to chat over whatsapp if you are genuinely interested.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                    Whatever about the language in the murder suicide reporting, I've just seen an RTE headline that said one of the women victims of the Donegal petrol station blast "Lit up every room."
                                                                                                    Ah, Hitch seems to have some obsession with mothers killing their children. He reminds me of Livia Soprano with the 'throwing babies the windows' stuff.

Last edited by ComradeCollie; 10-10-22, 21:38.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                      oh jesus christos

Comment

Ah, Hitch seems to have some obsession with mothers killing their children. He reminds me of Livia Soprano with the 'throwing babies the windows' stuff.
                                                                                                        Ah come on, he made one post, explained his thinking and then rowed back in a pretty reasonable way.

If only he would behave the same way about Russia or China.

Comment

Is that an obsession? I'm not even sure I've mentioned it before!

Comment

Ah come on, he made one post, explained his thinking and then rowed back in a pretty reasonable way.

Comment

I did read something before that was heartbreakingly true in a thread - 'whats an unpopular truth about Ireland' or something like that, and someone posted:

SPOILER
                                                                                                              That that poor guy who posts pictures of his three kids that were killed by the mother just needs to get off twitter. That each picture gets 1000s of likes and that's almost fueling a mania in him. Can't get my head around what he has gone through, its so truly tragic, but that post did set something off. As in, I'd always squirm a bit when seeing those tweets, but couldn't quite work out why. Its not in any way about him seeking attention, or anything like that, and who would blame him if that was important to him, its more that it seems an empty way of filling the void - that these were his children, that he doesn't need to share those private memories. I don't know. Remember just pausing when I read that reddit post and thinking - hmm that's maybe right.

Comment

No, it's been several posts over a few years. I could be terribly wrong, but I think someone who's been so open here about his mental divergence most summers, should be more sympathetic to people are that ill.

Comment

No, it's been several posts over a few years. I could be terribly wrong, but I think someone who's been so open here about his mental divergence most summers, should be more sympathetic to people are that ill.
                                                                                                                  Genuinely don't remember anything previously. It's not a particular regular thought I have, I think. Albeit excepting the additional comment I added above. Or maybe a news story as they occur. But it does seem particularly horrific as a general idea.

It's also important to note, for the record, that I don't spend my summers murdering anyone.

Comment

Man, I could write a novel on this. Suffice to say we are like marmite. 50/50, there is a number of subset of pro's that are all over it, and a vocal subset that think it's the devil.

Golf is so traditional is so many ways, and this is something that ruffles a lot of feathers. Don't really want to post about this issue too much here, but happy to chat over whatsapp if you are genuinely interested.

Not quite the same but I mentioned to Switch the other day that Lee Westwood has signed up to a mobility app I used called Pliability, it use to be called ROMWOD.

Just someone to keep an eye on if they’re going to expand their golf offering, maybe someone coming to you might need some mobility training.

Comment

Back 9 of my match with NotAScratch, some generous gimmies and I even give him a mulligan but who cares, it's all about fun right. Course looks unreal as usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c12BhMeiHvc
                                                                                                                      Living the dream dude. Should be a nice uptick in engagement from this video.

For anyone that hasn't done so. Stick a like or comment on the video. A share or repost elsewhere would also would massively help Theresa and it only takes a moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Not quite the same but I mentioned to Switch the other day that Lee Westwood has signed up to a mobility app I used called Pliability, it use to be called ROMWOD.

Just someone to keep an eye on if they’re going to expand their golf offering, maybe someone coming to you might need some mobility training.
                                                                                                                        Not the biggest fan of the lad but in fairness to Westwood. He really has put a lot of work into his fitness over last few years to keep competitive and extend his career. Not unlike Paddy.

He would have done damage on Champions Tour but obviously took the Liv money as its essentially a freeroll. Zach Johnson will be 50 in 3 years too, he'll do damage when he reaches 50. His lack of distance won't hold him back as much as the main tour.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Not the biggest fan of the lad but in fairness to Westwood. He really has put a lot of work into his fitness over last few years to keep competitive and extend his career. Not unlike Paddy.

He would have done damage on Champions Tour but obviously took the Liv money as its essentially a freeroll. Zach Johnson will be 50 in 3 years too, he'll do damage when he reaches 50. His lack of distance won't hold him back as much as the main tour.

He's let himself go a little again by the last pic i saw.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X