• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to being a tool.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Might have said this before but a favourite tweet about musk was:
      "How can someone so rich, so successful and famous constantly give of such massive 'Im a loser' energy at every opportunity?"

Comment

It's a prerequisite of somebody that wants to be so rich, so successful and famous that they are a loser.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
          It's a prerequisite of somebody that wants to be so rich, so successful and famous that they are a loser.
          That reminds me of this great line I read recently:

79a2647b-8e6e-43dc-a5c2-675ed8172759.jpg

I've read a couple of stories of Billionaires recently, they seem less happy on average than ordinary people.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

That reminds me of this great line I read recently:

79a2647b-8e6e-43dc-a5c2-675ed8172759.jpg

I've read a couple of stories of Billionaires recently, they seem less happy on average than ordinary people.
            They're just having a good run on the hedonic treadmill.
            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Probably the best part about curling;

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

everybody seems so sad there which is only partly accounted for by the difference in attractiveness between the men and women.
                what a beautiful line!
                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

There are some nations where there are such stark contrasts between the male and females of the species. I'd say most of South America, for example. Generally hot girls and short-dumpy guys.

I would speculate that Ireland and the UK are largely matched male and female, in terms of both having mid-level attractiveness. The Scandinavian countries largely matched in terms of both having highish-level attractiveness.
                  Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 18-10-22, 08:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                    There are some nations where there are such stark contrasts between the male and females of the species. I'd say most of South America, for example. Generally hot girls and short-dumpy guys.

I would speculate that Ireland and the UK are largely matched male and female, in terms of both having mid-level attractiveness. The Scandinavian countries largely matched in terms of both having highish-level attractiveness.
                    Fiins think our wimmins are hawt and are bored by the blondey look. Lately ive got the redhead bug .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Fiins think our wimmins are hawt and are bored by the blondey look. Lately ive got the redhead bug .
                      Population melting pot is still a big one for us.
                      We still have less people living here than 200 years ago. Pretty much us, random pacific islands and some microstates are the only places on earth that is true.
                      That lack of diversity is open for debate whether it'd create super hot looking folks like the heros of Na Fianna or we'd all devolve to some mean potato headed caricature
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

We still have less people living here than 200 years ago. Pretty much us, random pacific islands and some microstates are the only places on earth that is true.
                        That lack of diversity is open for debate whether it'd create super hot looking folks like the heros of Na Fianna or we'd all devolve to some mean potato headed caricature
                        Surely significant inbreeding (in a non-judgemental sense), such as has had to be a feature of most people in Ireland not leaving their small county for a few thousand years, can't have led to the best genes. I suppose we are still living off the viking and norman invasion genes, so that has added some historic diversity, plus the natural diversity of the celts themselves due to their travelling nature.

Comment

Surely significant inbreeding (in a non-judgemental sense), such as has had to be a feature of most people in Ireland not leaving their small county for a few thousand years, can't have led to the best genes. I suppose we are still living off the viking and norman invasion genes, so that has added some historic diversity, plus the natural diversity of the celts themselves due to their travelling nature.
                          Have you seen the English on tour ? Inbreeding at Royalty level and muck eating level ? Some ugly sticks were brandished .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Have you seen the English on tour ? Inbreeding at Royalty level and muck eating level ? Some ugly sticks were brandished .
                            Ireland is a notably ugly nation, in fairness. A global level of ugliness. Mainly at the male level in fairness, but our women need to generally plaster their faces with facepaint to acceptably leave the house. I would say that the English are genetically better looking due to better cross-breeding across genetic pools, but then let down by being dramatically overweight and unhealthy diets that destroy their skins.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Well that's not true. In 1821, population on the island was said to be 6.8m, in 2022 (201 years, but close enough) it is 7.1m. In 1961, it was only 4.25m, so massive growth in the last 60 years after around 120 years of decline (mainly due to the famine) or stagnation.

It is only really in the last 20-25 years though that much diversity was introduced into the population, so I'd imagine in another century a typical sample of 100 Irish people would look very different to a typical sample of 100 Irish people a century ago, which is probably the root of what you were talking about, but I like being pedantic.

Comment

Yeah, I guess you really see it in the schoolyard. Its almost US levels of melting potness. Mad change really from when we were growing up.

Comment

Ireland is a notably ugly nation, in fairness. A global level of ugliness. Mainly at the male level in fairness, but our women need to generally plaster their faces with facepaint to acceptably leave the house. I would say that the English are genetically better looking due to better cross-breeding across genetic pools, but then let down by being dramatically overweight and unhealthy diets that destroy their skins.
                                  You been to middle England ? I think the cross breeding being the norm is a myth. We had a big population prior to the famine . If anything the affluence has led to obesity in Ireland and the UK. the Nordics seem to handle their food better. The young these days seem to be more aware of body image . We are already a good looking nation. Most under 30s are well kempt . Not so much the middle aged ones though.

Comment

I was thinking more of the general roundness of our heads, the blotchiness of our skin, and our relatively short heights. It seems more like a list of defects than attributes.

As in:
                                    - angular faces are generally an attribute of good looks
                                    - pure skin colour, of whatever colour, is generally viewed as important to looks (hence women plastering their faces to cover up the cracks that are so prevalent in Irish skin)
                                    - height also being a big global driver of perception of attractiveness
                                    Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 18-10-22, 11:47.

Comment

Yeah, I guess you really see it in the schoolyard. Its almost US levels of melting potness. Mad change really from when we were growing up.
                                      I was just telling my (Indian) boss about growing up protestant in the 80s in Ireland. In 1990 we had one Indian kid and one black kid in our class which meant we were positively metropolitan. Most entire schools didn't have that level of diversity.
                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

We had a Pakistani kid in our primary school class and I was so envious of him getting to leave the room during religion class every day.

Comment

Boris at 16s to be next PM seems decent

Comment

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

And now 11s

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

I was just telling my (Indian) boss about growing up protestant in the 80s in Ireland. In 1990 we had one Indian kid and one black kid in our class which meant we were positively metropolitan. Most entire schools didn't have that level of diversity.

I meant to ask before when you mentioned about growing up as Protestant in the 80's in Ireland. Would you be able to elaborate on what you had to put up with?

I don't mean to pry and obvs, don't answer if you don't want to but I am genuinely curious as to what you had to deal with.

I've a few protestant friends who I only became friends with in adult life, never really had any experience with it as a kid growing up apart from participating in Co-Operation North and although I came from a Catholic family (The mother was a raving Catholic ), it was always viewed in my household as something that wasn't important, it made no difference what religion you were and everyone was treated alike so I've no insight into what it was like at all. I always (most likely wrongly and naively) thought it wasn't an issue in the South at all and it was only an issue up North but that could be just because of my own little bubble.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
                                                  sure. but there are some standard rules that seem largely universal - height (as historic sign of wealth due to eating well as a child) and skin purity (as historic sign of health), that cross across all societies. Then you can start working on the nation-level idiosyncrasies.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

I meant to ask before when you mentioned about growing up as Protestant in the 80's in Ireland. Would you be able to elaborate on what you had to put up with?

I don't mean to pry and obvs, don't answer if you don't want to but I am genuinely curious as to what you had to deal with.

I've a few protestant friends who I only became friends with in adult life, never really had any experience with it as a kid growing up apart from participating in Co-Operation North and although I came from a Catholic family (The mother was a raving Catholic ), it was always viewed in my household as something that wasn't important, it made no difference what religion you were and everyone was treated alike so I've no insight into what it was like at all. I always (most likely wrongly and naively) thought it wasn't an issue in the South at all and it was only an issue up North but that could be just because of my own little bubble.
                                                    I'm presuming it's firmly in the category of kids/teens being assholes, and picking up on a difference and using it to make the person feel excluded, or bully them, or just be assholes verbally if not (although possibly) physically. There were a couple of protestants in my secondary school (nun-led until just before I started) and the only reason I knew is that they were let escape during religion class, but they probably received some of the above type of crap at least. I'm just guessing though obviously.

Comment

Protestant kid in our class had to stand outside in the hallway during religion class. Not even a chair. Just standing there waiting for the 45 minutes to finish.

Comment

Hard to describe. Just a constant low level feeling of being an outsider. Most people were grand, a few would treat us like we were aliens. Very rarely there was anything overt but it was always there. A kid in my class was chased and beaten by some local scumbags for being a "proddy bastard". He was an atheist lol.
                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Protestant kid in our class had to stand outside in the hallway during religion class. Not even a chair. Just standing there waiting for the 45 minutes to finish.
                                                          A small price to pay for being a proddy .

I never ONCE heard any kids singling out a proddy we simply didnt give a shit . I heard English accents being put upon but kids DNGAF . Its most likely an attitude that goes with feeling an outsider . Its a lot safer being a proddy in the rep than it is iitparts of the 6 counties . NOW its a non issue . Sure fking Catholic going to church are mocked bow ( not just on here ).

heard this joke years ago

A nun tells the reverend mudder that she is pregnant . All hell breaks out and the whole convent turn on her throwing sharp objects etc. STOP you will injure that baby. The Nun cried

WHAT BABY ?
                                                          I said i was PREGNANT reverend mudder , i told you.

AWW AWFUL SORRY SISTER MARY. I thought you said Protestant .

Comment

Sadly, being raised without any religion, the humour in father ted will totally be lost of my kids when older. You'd almost consider indoctrinating them for that alone.

Eldest is in junior infants now, in an educate together. Apparently they will be doing 'Winter Cards' rather than Christmas cards in class. Bit different from his playschool, which was tied to a local catholic school, where he came home singing Away in a Manger one day.

Comment

What is the current situation regarding Covid when travelling to the US?

Is it simply you need produce your EU vaccination card or is there also a negative test of some kind required?
                                                              Similar question regarding a test on the return leg?

Also, how long prior to departure will suffice at the moment?

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                                Sadly, being raised without any religion, the humour in father ted will totally be lost of my kids when older. You'd almost consider indoctrinating them for that alone.

Eldest is in junior infants now, in an educate together. Apparently they will be doing 'Winter Cards' rather than Christmas cards in class. Bit different from his playschool, which was tied to a local catholic school, where he came home singing Away in a Manger one day.
                                                                I don't quite get the 'winter cards' thing.
                                                                I'd have thought it possible to happily acknowledge that the season/festival is called Christmas and has associated cards, crackers, presents, trees etc all with the word 'Christmas' used as a prefix - whilst still avoiding the Christianity, nativity, religious aspect of it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                  What is the current situation regarding Covid when travelling to the US?

Is it simply you need produce your EU vaccination card or is there also a negative test of some kind required?
                                                                  Similar question regarding a test on the return leg?

Also, how long prior to departure will suffice at the moment?
                                                                  Definitely no testing, I don't think you even need proof of vaccination. Check the DFA site, should have it all listed there.

Comment

Feck that. They should keep with Christmas. We've already basically appropriated it as consumer/eating/drinking fest and that's its primary meaning to 99% of people. Christmas is ours now...get your own word!

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

I don't quite get the 'winter cards' thing.
                                                                      I'd have thought it possible to happily acknowledge that the season/festival is called Christmas and has associated cards, crackers, presents, trees etc all with the word 'Christmas' used as a prefix - whilst still avoiding the Christianity, nativity, religious aspect of it all.
                                                                      Ya I know, but I'm assuming it's something they have always done. To most of us it seems like nonsense, but I'm sure some others will appreciate it. Most kids will still have Christmas overload anyhow.

Comment

I was thinking more of the general roundness of our heads, the blotchiness of our skin, and our relatively short heights. It seems more like a list of defects than attributes.

As in:
                                                                        - pure skin colour, of whatever colour, is generally viewed as important to looks (hence women plastering their faces to cover up the cracks that are so prevalent in Irish skin)
                                                                        Apparently we're attracted to symmetry in faces.

In fact, we're attracted to symmetry generally in nature, but it holds true for the likes of architecture too.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

As in:
                                                                          A impressive dick pic might have made the list but can't send then anymore it seems.

Who will police the dick pics?

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/...e-safety-bill/
                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Definitely no testing, I don't think you even need proof of vaccination. Check the DFA site, should have it all listed there.
                                                                            That’s correct, been regularly this year and haven’t been asked for proof of vac since Jan.

Comment

Hard to describe. Just a constant low level feeling of being an outsider. Most people were grand, a few would treat us like we were aliens. Very rarely there was anything overt but it was always there. A kid in my class was chased and beaten by some local scumbags for being a "proddy bastard". He was an atheist lol.
                                                                              Pretty much the experience of every catholic in the north then. Except with more overtness of course.

Comment

Proper order too. That's what gives us our sense of rectitude.

Comment

You didn't get the whole quiet but certain sense of superiority that our God was better than theirs? Weird.

Comment

Booked all our flights to the RWC today. 700 for the three sets of return flights. Pretty good if I do say so myself.
                                                                                    Nabbed the only airbnb in Bordeaux that hadn't put its prices up 4* too.

Mrs D3 gave me dispensation for a full 9 days in France between Bordeaux and Nantes with what in retrospect seems like suspicious ease.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

You didn't get the whole quiet but certain sense of superiority that our God was better than theirs? Weird.
                                                                                      Your northern brethren certainly exuded that air so there would be no mistake we were on the wrong side. I suspect we didn't care as much about that as they thought we might.

Comment

A full day of phone calls trying to navigate the HSE system on behalf of an older person would drive a man to drink. It really is a fucked up system.

Comment

The decision by the Central Bank to go 4x from 3.5x on mortgage criteria seems pretty oddly timed.

Perhaps it won’t make a difference to most as people won’t realise the additional 0.5 once they’re stress-tested under increasing interest rates but still a little surprising.

I assume banks don’t necessarily have to offer it, rather a change in guidelines. Still feels oddly timed unless I’m missing something.

Comment

Just heard that Vintage Kitchen apparently no longer do BYO, which if true, is a shame.

Comment

Just heard that Vintage Kitchen apparently no longer do BYO, which if true, is a shame.
                                                                                              I was only just thinking of reminding you to book the annual HHE pilgrimage to said spot.

I'll give you a very solid alternative though: Osteria Lucio. It's Ross Lewis (ex C1) and really good Eyetalian food that would be great for a crowd.

Comment

Confirmed true. Allthefood.ie - well worth a follow on insta or the actual website have a recent article up ok current BYO spots.

​​​​
                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Reasons to be cheerful, #1.

commodity-eu-natural-gas.png?s=ngeu&v=202210181715V20220312&ismobile=1&w=400&h=250&lbl=0.png

Comment

Mr Honda:7.20 flight Friday. Ryanair, checked baggage. Arrive 5.30 be grand?

Comment

Two days of the Camino done and am loving it. Only downside is some days have a lot (torrential) rain, so the investment in rain gear is paying dividends.

Last night had dinner in an admittedly terrible restaurant, only one we could find that was open. I said to my mate that it was something I would give to a dog (really vile) and he said "why, do you hate your dog that much!"

But dinner tonight was fantastic, and lot of great cheap Spanish wine that cost 10 euros here but would retail for 35 euros back home.

Great fun and nice to get one off the bucket list.
                                                                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Yeah business as usual seems to be back from what I can see - but I haven't been around at that hour in the morning any time recently. If you want time for breakfast add 20 mins or so as that its peak time for t1
                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Was through there on Sunday, and took 30 mins with the whole process. So should be grand. I would almost be tempted to arrive 6pm... But would be wary of the checking bag. Did Ryan air last year to Rome and missed the check in deadline by 2 mins and they charged me an extra 50|60 euros for late checking.
                                                                                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Yeah business as usual seems to be back from what I can see - but I haven't been around at that hour in the morning any time recently. If you want time for breakfast add 20 mins or so as that its peak time for t1
                                                                                                            Sound, thanks. Just pick up some pastries or something to keep the beasts quiet.

Comment

Lucio is very good. Savage quality ingredients. I think I'm the only person that has gone to the new Chapter One and won't be going back, after visiting the previous incarnation a good 30 times over the years. Their neighbours around the corner Mr Fox offering surely the best value in town with their tasting menu for €70.

Had a funny experience with Liath this year before I returned to posting. Was due to go for my birthday but got Covid. Last minute and couldn't find anyone else to take it and they charge 100% cancellation because it's so small, so my wife went on her own and they gave her basically double portions for the night. Then said give us a ring Monday and we'll have the two of ye in whenever you like for a 25% discount. It's brilliant but €180 is getting up there in terms of ouchiness for a dinner.

Comment

Put Mr Fox on the list too Lao.

Comment

My last 2 7am flights (Mondays) I've not bothered getting to the airport til 6ish and have been straight through.

Thank fuck for that because the 4am starts were an absolute shocker to try and do a full day's work on t'other side.

Comment

Its because its November delivery and there is nowhere left to store any gas that might be bought. Hopefully its a pattern, but that particular chart is because of storage issues. One of the suspicions is that the November price might even go to zero because of that issue.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Confirmed true. Allthefood.ie - well worth a follow on insta or the actual website have a recent article up ok current BYO spots.

​​​​
                                                                                                                      Ha! It was ATF that told me! I sent them a quick message on the back of their article on Insta asking them about Vintage Kitchen. It's a great site/account. I keep meaning to sign up to the insiders.

I was only just thinking of reminding you to book the annual HHE pilgrimage to said spot.

I'll give you a very solid alternative though: Osteria Lucio. It's Ross Lewis (ex C1) and really good Eyetalian food that would be great for a crowd.

Put Mr Fox on the list too Lao.

I've eaten in both pre Covid and both were very good, They are on the list and will have a check for a few other places too.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                                        Lucio is very good. Savage quality ingredients. I think I'm the only person that has gone to the new Chapter One and won't be going back, after visiting the previous incarnation a good 30 times over the years. Their neighbours around the corner Mr Fox offering surely the best value in town with their tasting menu for €70.

Had a funny experience with Liath this year before I returned to posting. Was due to go for my birthday but got Covid. Last minute and couldn't find anyone else to take it and they charge 100% cancellation because it's so small, so my wife went on her own and they gave her basically double portions for the night. Then said give us a ring Monday and we'll have the two of ye in whenever you like for a 25% discount. It's brilliant but €180 is getting up there in terms of ouchiness for a dinner.

I only know one couple who have eaten in the new C1 and they said the prices were eye watering and they wouldn't be new to eating out in nice places. I think though they just said yes to anything that was offered to them and then the bill came at the end and it was huge

I actually had dinner in Orwell Road a few weeks ago, it was a pop up with former C1 head chef Eric Matthews at the helm. Must do a review of it but suffice to say, it was fantastic.

Comment

On a totally different topic, I'm really loving Sorcha Richardson's new album - Smiling Like an Idiot. It's a pretty laid back, chilled out album. She'll definitely make an appearance in the Top 20 at the end of the year.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X