X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Its sung in every bar in Ireland.
    This is not an excuse. It fucking shouldn't be.
    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

This is not an excuse. It fucking shouldn't be.
      Explained above, but thats like our opinion isn't it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        And, at risk of being twee - if the English footballers sang a song about the need for the Red Hand Commandos to rise again, in their dressing room, we'd be outraged. We seem to piss ourselves with anger when someone even mispronounces an Irish name, despite our own inability to pronounce the names of people from any other nation. We're a tetchy little nation when it comes for us, even if we're grand with writing it off as nothing when we do it.
        Those English footballers will be wearing their poppies next month and any player who chooses not to wear one will have death threats made to him and be the subject of sectarian chanting from the stands.

The brits being outraged over this is actually hilarious.

In other news, Wolfe Tones are back in the charts

Comment

I remember years ago as a teen i stepped into the Wexford Inn on Camden street . Loud battle rebels songs in full flight with standing on tables ( like the darts lunatics) PACKED . it was like a hidden world . The music was just shite so i left

Comment

For context the words of the song they were singing expanded . Why didnt they show the full clip ?

"Graffiti on the walls just as the sun was going down,
            I seen graffitti on the walls( Up the CELTS, Up the CELTS),
            Graffitti on the walls that says we're Magic, We're Magic,
            Graffiti on the walls.......Graffiti on the walls........
            And it said..............
            Ooh ah up the Ra, said ooh ah up the Ra"

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

It's Lenovo for me all the way. I have used Lenovo for about 8 years now and am very happy. Do you have an option to go more ? We spend a lot of our waking life on a laptop . Now, more than ever our professional personas go into the workplace and the world through a laptop.
              To be 100% honest, a good 80% of my work is in hosted vms on a cloud environment.
              It's a box for teams/zoom, writing scratch code in python or powershell,random sql POC stuff in vs, emails, light docs and browsing.
              Light, back-lit keyboard, and battery performance are high on my requirements. For the price, ram, cpu memory are assumed.
              ​​​
              I'm tempted by the lenovo but that huge discount is actually making me hesitant.
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Anyone looking for sports pm me..lowest they have ever been x 6 months
                Her sky-ness
                © 5starpool

Comment

For context the words of the song they were singing expanded . Why didnt they show the full clip ?

"Graffiti on the walls just as the sun was going down,
                  I seen graffitti on the walls( Up the CELTS, Up the CELTS),
                  Graffitti on the walls that says we're Magic, We're Magic,
                  Graffiti on the walls.......Graffiti on the walls........
                  And it said..............
                  Ooh ah up the Ra, said ooh ah up the Ra"
                  Song was playing in the background too.
                  As I said earlier, it's a meme now.
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Those English footballers will be wearing their poppies next month and any player who chooses not to wear one will have death threats made to him and be the subject of sectarian chanting from the stands.
                    There is not even the slightest comparison between remembering the dead of two world wars and the triumphalist celebration of ethnic cleansing in the name of a protection racket.

Third rate Whataboutery, are you practicing for a part time job as a shinnerbot?
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

There is not even the slightest comparison between remembering the dead of two world wars and the triumphalist celebration of ethnic cleansing in the name of a protection racket.

Third rate Whataboutery, are you practicing for a part time job as a shinnerbot?
                      With the greatest of respect, I don't believe you're capable of a rational discussion on this topic and I've mostly avoided commenting on it up to that post you've quoted and I'm going back to just ignoring it now as I don't think it's the big deal it's being made out to be.

no idea what you mean by a part time shinerbit so can't reply to that one.

Comment

Well done you are getting there . You described 99% of wars .

Comment

Number one now in Ireland. We're a mad aul country. Chances are nobody would have been bothered until the brits made a big deal of it on sky. Few pound for the Wolfe tones anyway

Comment

Well done you are getting there . You described 99% of wars .
                            You are comparing those who died fighting against the Nazis with the IRA.
                            Go and sit in a dark room and think about that one for a while.

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                              Anyone looking for sports pm me..lowest they have ever been x 6 months
                              Is there any way to pay for sky go without signing up for sky TV? I don't want sky but the sky go app can be handy for games the odd time. Would be great if you could just pay for the app.

Comment

Number one now in Ireland. We're a mad aul country. Chances are nobody would have been bothered until the brits made a big deal of it on sky. Few pound for the Wolfe tones anyway

I'd only ever heard the chorus shouted at parties, I just listened to it now but this is objectively a terrible song. It's truly dreadful. We should be ashamed of ourselves. There are way better rebel songs. It sounds like someone recorded it on a midi keyboard after getting his sister to write the lyrics.

Comment

I don't think it's the big deal it's being made out to be.
                                  Therein lies the problem.

Comment

You are comparing those who died fighting against the Nazis with the IRA.
                                    Go and sit in a dark room and think about that one for a while.

​​​​​​
                                    You are the one doing all the comparing . Litle boys are doing all the fighting whilst older guys like you and me argue over what is a just war. If it was up to me the old guys would fight and the young men left behind but im on a wee tanget .

Wolfies no.1 ? Nobody deserves this

Comment

And therein lies your problem
                                      let’s move on and forget the past, it’s the only way forward

war is war weather it be a fight or a racket
                                      its always one against the other

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

I'd only ever heard the chorus shouted at parties, I just listened to it now but this is objectively a terrible song. It's truly dreadful. We should be ashamed of ourselves. There are way better rebel songs. It sounds like someone recorded it on a midi keyboard after getting his sister to write the lyrics.
                                        I agree . Shite stuff . Maybe my blood isnt green enough .
                                        i do like this one though. Not a rebel song but moves my soul

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                          I'm in the market for a new company laptop and have it narrowed to...

or
                                          View the Dell Latitude 5430 Laptop that combines ultimate performance, a 14 inch screen, scalability & security, or shop all Latitude laptops at Dell.com.

or
                                          Learn more about the ThinkPad P14s Gen 2 (14” Intel) mobile workstation, a 14” laptop powered by Intel® Core™ processors, a UHD display option, and strong data security features.

I currently have a 5280 lattitude which has served me well but, im in one of these use it or lose it budget scenarios.
                                          Anyone have any particular recommendations of the above or even alternatives?
                                          Microsoft Surface line are exceptional imo.

Comment

To be 100% honest, a good 80% of my work is in hosted vms on a cloud environment.
                                            It's a box for teams/zoom, writing scratch code in python or powershell,random sql POC stuff in vs, emails, light docs and browsing.
                                            Light, back-lit keyboard, and battery performance are high on my requirements. For the price, ram, cpu memory are assumed.
                                            ​​​
                                            I'm tempted by the lenovo but that huge discount is actually making me hesitant.
                                            Unless there is some functionality not supported, you should consider a MacBook.

If I’m correct, you’re a little more involved in the ETL than I am but I use most of what you mention above and some data visualisation pieces.
                                            My current role is the first time I’ve used a MacBook but pretty much everyone in similar roles including engineering uses one.

My roles prior to this were high-end Dell & MSI but hardware has moved on to a point where it’s not required while day to day work has remained the same.

I bought one of the new Dell monitors which has thunderbolt as the M1 MacBook 2020/21 only supported 1 monitor(may have change for latest release).

I need the laptop, 1 cable (monitor charges the laptop), keyboard on occasion & mouse. I was hesitant to switch at the start but glad it was forced upon me.

Comment

Var have investigated the Irish girls singing after the match and are happy to change the charge of treason based on the words been used as
                                              Uh ah up Vera , uh ah up Vera

let’s move on and get ready for the World Cup

Comment

Have any of you ever chanted 'ooh ah up the Ra'?
                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Clearly Celtic symphony is part of the psych up, put some pride into the shirt and go out there and fight for Ireland.

Not sure what people would suggest instead that the team would know the words too, taps into historic groups of Irish banding together yet isn’t a depressing durge or insult the English.

Comment

Although never mind us, the Brits are doing a great job of fucking themselves right now.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                      Clearly Celtic symphony is part of the psych up, put some pride into the shirt and go out there and fight for Ireland.

Not sure what people would suggest instead that the team would know the words too, taps into historic groups of Irish banding together yet isn’t a depressing durge or insult the English.
                                                      You don't need to sing songs glorifying terrorism to psyche yourself up for a sports match.

Surely smacking each other in the face and channelling Paul O'Connell is the way to go. (clearly more effective too)

Comment

I never knew they were lyrics to an actual song.

Just thought it was a chant.
                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                          No, but I've been at events that ended with the singing of the Internationale. Thankfully there were no phones with cameras back then.
                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

You don't need to sing songs glorifying terrorism to psyche yourself up for a sports match.

Surely smacking each other in the face and channelling Paul O'Connell is the way to go. (clearly more effective too)
                                                            I think they were absolutley thick but I don't think they were gloryfiying terrorism.
                                                            There's a certain amount of logic at play of picking an Irish song about a Scotish team after beating Scotland.
                                                            Given 'up the 'Ra' has lost pretty much all meaning for the youth of today bar it's slightly edgy and given the song in itself isn't really about the IRA, I kinda sorta
                                                            can understand why they did it, without condoning it

Comment

I think they were absolutley thick but I don't think they were gloryfiying terrorism.
                                                              There's a certain amount of logic at play of picking an Irish song about a Scotish team after beating Scotland.
                                                              Given 'up the 'Ra' has lost pretty much all meaning for the youth of today bar it's slightly edgy and given the song in itself isn't really about the IRA, I kinda sorta
                                                              can understand why they did it, without condoning it
                                                              If the excuse is 'they're idiots', I suppose that's fair enough.

Comment

Given the recording was done by RTE cameras in the dressing room with them filming the celebrations, I think that's proabably it

Comment

Sing fucking Chumbawamba just anything that doesn't glorify terrorism ty.
                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Yes

sang along with others at several ballad sessions
                                                                    sang it at Celtic matchsesPre and after the games
                                                                    was humming it on the bus yesterday evening while reading about the whole over reaction of the whole episode
                                                                    Time to move on

The morally right police would need to call to every house in Ireland that have sang or been to gigs involving most republican bands

The song was not sung by the girls as a homily to to Ra rather a part of the 100 songs that they sang to celebrate their great victory
                                                                    while it was not an appropriate song to sing it was unfortunately recorded and released

the modern day of been caught on camera is happening to offer and for that people are been reminded of the awful events from previous eras due to songs been sung

while it’s not right it will not stop and the girls will be asked about it until the win the World Cup

maybe our Northern friends could ask for us to drop the Republic from the Ireland name to help ease their pain going forward

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

Yes

sang along with others at several ballad sessions
                                                                      sang it at Celtic matchsesPre and after the games
                                                                      was humming it on the bus yesterday evening while reading about the whole over reaction of the whole episode
                                                                      Time to move on
                                                                      Wonder if anyone else has chanted this? I haven''t.
                                                                      Maybe it's just a soccer thing.

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                                                                      maybe our Northern friends could ask for us to drop the Republic from the Ireland name to help ease their pain going forward
                                                                      I always wondered about that given:
                                                                      ARTICLE 4

The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland.
                                                                      'Republic of' doesn't get used in any other formats iirc. Why does the FAI do it, anyone know?

Comment

Come Out Ye Black & Tans?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Come Out Ye Black & Tans?
                                                                          gets a pass due to:
                                                                          I've a friend in County Kildare does them, but you talk to me.One of Steve Coogan's funniest characters - the Sligo Farmer turned Alan Partridge impersonator...

Comment

I was working with a fella about my age a few years ago from Belfast. He would describe himself with a bit of a grin as being from the other side of the divide. He told me one night over a few pints that when a few of his mates and himself would be on a night out at home when they were well oiled they would occasionally start shouting 'up the RA' because they think it's funny to do so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I was working with a fella about my age a few years ago from Belfast. He would describe himself with a bit of a grin as being from the other side of the divide. He told me one night over a few pints that when a few of his mates and himself would be on a night out at home when they were well oiled they would occasionally start shouting 'up the RA' because they think it's funny to do so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                                                                              Sometimes people say it ironically therefore it's ok to say it unironically?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Sometimes people say it ironically therefore it's ok to say it unironically?
                                                                                I'm presenting it entirely without comment tbh

Comment

Although I think it's fair to say one instance is 'ironic' but probably 'unironic' doesn't particularly well describe the other instance. I suspect it's a bit of an empty formula to both groups.

Comment

'Republic of' doesn't get used in any other formats iirc. Why does the FAI do it, anyone know?
                                                                                    I assume because there is a Northern Ireland Soccer team and it would be more confusing to have an Ireland Soccer Team representing the South and a Northern Ireland soccer team?

What other mainstream sports have competitors representing North or South while also have separate associations top to bottom.
                                                                                    I initially thought golf where McIlroy & Lowry play under different flags but GUI covers the entire Island so that’s different.

Comment

I guess we go back to:

Comment

I despair for an Ireland where the same people that are calling for a border poll need it explained to them that singing sectarian chants is deeply problematic.

I do feel genuinely sorry for the players who are operating within a sport that has failed failed miserably to deal with ongoing issues of sectarianism and racism.
                                                                                        ​​​​​​

Comment

I guess we go back to:
                                                                                          If you insist on going back I suppose. I always thought there was something a bit hopeful about the story.

Comment

Who doesn't know this TayTay banger?

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I often find myself singing 'we hate Catholics, everybody here hates Roman Catholics' to the tune of 'I think we're alone now' after seeing some NI soccer team fans singing it after winning some game. Absolutely gas chant. Doubt most of the people singing it feel that way in the least and wouldn't hold it against them for singing it for a second.

Is singing sectarian chants problematic? Yeah definitely. Is it always massively problematic in every possible scenario? I dunno. Turning this particular post-match unplanned celebration into pants wetting about the shinners, is there a real need? I dunno.

Comment

Like is there shades of gray with these things? Is this less bad, more bad or same bad as the NI fans singing about hating Catholics, and are either of those less bad or more bad than David Cullinane saying 'up the RA' at the end of a post-election celebration speech?

I reckon the last one is a good bit worse. If people agree or disagree I'd like to hear why?

Comment

Like is there shades of gray with these things? Is this less bad, more bad or same bad as the NI fans singing about hating Catholics, and are either of those less bad or more bad than David Cullinane saying 'up the RA' at the end of a post-election celebration speech?

I reckon the last one is a good bit worse. If people agree or disagree I'd like to hear why?
                                                                                                  Ah definitely.
                                                                                                  Like the difference between tattooing a swastika on your neck vs singing the Horst Wessel Lied after 10 pints.

Comment

Ah definitely.
                                                                                                    Like the difference between tattooing a swastika on your neck vs singing the Horst Wessel Lied after 10 pints.
                                                                                                    What's the difference between those?

Comment

What's the difference between those?
                                                                                                      One is overt, a sign of commitment.

The other is more like idiots chanting up the ra, except of a worse order of magnitude. They're basically the kind of people who, if they lived in America, would sport Confederate iconography and vote Trump.

Comment

Chating 'up the ra' gives the the thrill of doing something transgressive. Trump basically gave a licence to people's worst impulses in the states to do the same there, in terms of normalising racist attitudes and dialogue.

Comment

Tory MPs must be getting sweaty

Comment

One is overt, a sign of commitment.

The other is more like idiots chanting up the ra, except of a worse order of magnitude. They're basically the kind of people who, if they lived in America, would sport Confederate iconography and vote Trump.
                                                                                                            I wonder whether puritanically lumping all those sporting confederate iconography for innocent-ish reasons (local pride or whatever) with those using it deliberately for the worst of reasons helped to drive a wedge between ordinary mostly decent people in the middle, instead of driving a wedge between ordinary people with bad flags and the cunts.

EDIT: I definitely was among those who lumped all those in together in the past. Not sure it was helpful after
                                                                                                            Last edited by Keane; 13-10-22, 11:24.

Comment

Absolutely there are shades of grey and that is why my criticism of of the mindset within our country"s culture that has failed to communicate the message that this veneration of the IRA is wholly unacceptable in modern Ireland.

The whataboutery is moronic, this is our problem and has nothing to do with poppies, bonfires or lambeg drums.
                                                                                                              If we are going to ask a million British people to join us on our modern European republic we need to clean up our own shit and prove that we can educate the dumbest and most ignorant amongst us to be respectful other communities within the republic.
                                                                                                              It's just basic good manners FFS!

Comment

I wonder whether puritanically lumping all those sporting confederate iconography for innocent-ish reasons (local pride or whatever) with those using it deliberately for the worst of reasons helped to drive a wedge between ordinary mostly decent people in the middle, instead of driving a wedge between ordinary people with bad flags and the cunts.
                                                                                                                there is no innocent reason and we shouldn't excuse it

Comment

Wonder if anyone else has chanted this? I haven''t.
                                                                                                                  Maybe it's just a soccer thing.
                                                                                                                  I have, loads. That or at least aproximations of that in my mispent youth. (de eye, de eye, de eye, R ,A).
                                                                                                                  I'm not counting ballad sessions, used to go to loads years ago.
                                                                                                                  Pretty funny as there were a few Nordie lads who used to test the "it's just a song" mentality
                                                                                                                  by playing the Sash me father wore or the Billy boys.
                                                                                                                  The serious musicans would diligently play along while you could see loads seethe like fuck. Never any real trouble though.

Comment

I often find myself singing 'we hate Catholics, everybody here hates Roman Catholics' to the tune of 'I think we're alone now' after seeing some NI soccer team fans singing it after winning some game. Absolutely gas chant. Doubt most of the people singing it feel that way in the least and wouldn't hold it against them for singing it for a second.

Is singing sectarian chants problematic? Yeah definitely. Is it always massively problematic in every possible scenario? I dunno. Turning this particular post-match unplanned celebration into pants wetting about the shinners, is there a real need? I dunno.
                                                                                                                    The video of them singing that came from a wedding, not a soccer match so I'd be fairly sure that's exactly how the people singing it feel.

saying that, I did have a laugh at it cos its a catchy tune and just put it down to them being morons

Comment

The video of them singing that came from a wedding, not a soccer match so I'd be fairly sure that's exactly how the people singing it feel.

saying that, I did have a laugh at it cos its a catchy tune and just put it down to them being morons
                                                                                                                      They're all in soccer jerseys and the IFA released a statement about it

Comment

They're all in soccer jerseys and the IFA released a statement about it

https://www.balls.ie/football/northe...tholics-407964
                                                                                                                        Yeah my nad, i just remembered the one from around 2019 I think was it? I always had the wedding one in my head cos that's where I heard it first. Leave them to it and add it to the reasons to leave the North where it is instead of trying to integrate that into our country

Comment

I said 'up the RA' to a newly elected Green Party TD outside Costello's in Limerick (if you know you know) to get him to stop talking to my friend because he was delaying me going to the Chicken Hut. It was the week after the Cullinane farrago, was super-effective.

Plot twist we had both actually voted for said GP TD

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X