Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well hello everyone.. How's the last decade been.... nothing much happened in the world...... oh wait
    Follow me in twitterland

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

LOL Una Mullally, If you are reaching to her as your appeal to authority then you have really lost it
      I also thought she was very articulate and considered on the matter. Indeed challenging my own thinking on several layers I hadn't bothered to pick at.

I suppose you either have room for multitudes on the matter or you don't and I get that too.

I could say plenty about it on many levels being a Celtic fan (among many other things) from the deep 1970s north whose friends dad and neighbours were killed by the IRA and whose teacher and and other friends dad were killed by loyalists unknown.

Perhaps both an archetypal offender and offended, depending on what the occasion demands.

But, like many others, I am so far beyond this (and equally clips of loyalists doing their private singing thing) that it is really more bemusing than anything.

And frankly a bit of a playground, name-calling distraction (of which there was also an unfeasible daily amount in the north during the Troubles, to the point you'd become pretty desensitised and almost immune to outrage) - from the very real existential problems we're dealing with.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall though when the RTE reporter got back to HQ and said:

"Hey chief... wait to you see what I got on camera, WTF should we do: I think we should bury it?'

Boss clutches temples "FFS Sean... we're gonna have to turn supergrass lad - it's every man for himself now"

Comment

Originally posted by smurph View Post
        Well hello everyone.. How's the last decade been.... nothing much happened in the world...... oh wait
        We all got middle-aged.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

We all got middle-aged.
          Wha
          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Wha
            You're forever 17

Comment

Adonis? Electra? Aphrodite?

Some pretty cool Greek names out there.
              Eleni

Pronounced Eh Lenny

We call her Lenny
              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by smurph View Post
                Hey Colette, great to hear from you!! Hope all's well

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

I also thought she was very articulate and considered on the matter. Indeed challenging my own thinking on several layers I hadn't bothered to pick at.
                  Read and re read but I can't see for the life of me where she is saying anything that address issue of respect and tolerance of other communities within a republic.

The whole article is built on her asking a question that she answers with her own opinion. an opinion that is objectively wrong in the narrow answer she finds.
                  There is a question about whether it’s objectively offensive to chant “up the ’Ra”, and the answer is pretty obvious: yes it is. It is offensive to victims of the Troubles-era IRA.
                  If she were open to asking young unionists she would find a different answer.

As often happens I'm stranded looking for a moderate unionist voice that if it does exist is muted by undeniable intolerance from their supposed allies.

Kielty was right at the heart of the matter last year. when he said It’s easier to sing a rebel song about a united Ireland, than decide not to sing it in order to have one

Last edited by Strewelpeter; 14-10-22, 22:10.
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Are we sure about Donegal.
                    You’ve been added to a list

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

You’ve been added to a list
                      If ye had a vote to stay ye'd vote no as usual!
                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Lots of 80s soviet footage in the new Adam Curtis show, not as exciting as his earlier stuff. Have only watched the 1st episode though.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

If/When the time comes for the reunification vote, what way do people think it will go? Wouldn't be at all surprised if it was defeated.

I'm very much torn on the subject. In one way it would obviously be great from a nationalistic point of view. I think though it may set the country back a good bit. The potential cost and potential for far more trouble when we've had relative peace in the North for a number of years at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                            If/When the time comes for the reunification vote, what way do people think it will go? Wouldn't be at all surprised if it was defeated.

I'm very much torn on the subject. In one way it would obviously be great from a nationalistic point of view. I think though it may set the country back a good bit. The potential cost and potential for far more trouble when we've had relative peace in the North for a number of years at this stage.
                            German reunification (something that had universal support) is still ongoing over three decades later.
                            We don't have anything like the economic advantages Germany does, and our political landscape is more intractable.

It's not a question of having a poll, then bang, woohoo, a nation once again. It will take decades of hard work and planning - the latter being something we're particularly shit at.

Comment

The easy question is 'do you support a united Ireland?'

The hard questions are around what costs (both financial and institutional) you are willing to pay to get it. They very rarely get asked but should be.

Comment

I love the thoughts of a united Ireland and am quite republican in my views but I think the North is a basket case we don't need and aren't ready to take on. If it happened tomorrow, I'd vote against it. There's a lot of work to do for both sides.

Comment

The easy question is 'do you support a united Ireland?'

The hard questions are around what costs (both financial and institutional) you are willing to.pay to get it. They very rarely get asked but should be.
                                  Why does this generation think of themselves so much. Ireland needs to evolve back into Ireland. The rest of us are just passing through . Soon the ol bitters will be dead. The young people of today will bring about the change. Its coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Why does this generation think of themselves so much. Ireland needs to evolve back into Ireland. The rest of us are just passing through . Soon the ol bitters will be dead. The young people of today will bring about the change. Its coming.
                                    Strange comment - the costs will largely fall on our children.

Comment

You think? I'd think the opposite. I wouldn't think that the youth of today give much of a shite about a 32 county Ireland. I've no particular rationale for thinking this though.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

I love the thoughts of a united Ireland and am quite republican in my views but I think the North is a basket case we don't need and aren't ready to take on. If it happened tomorrow, I'd vote against it. There's a lot of work to do for both sides.
                                        I wonder what label SF would hang on you?

'armchair republican'? (I'd suggest 'barstool republican' but that's already taken and would apply to a lot of those who enjoy the odd unacceptable chant )

Comment

'Pretty nice modern European democracy ya got here. Be a shame if anything was to happen to it.'

Comment

Proddys dont like it up em

Comment

I wonder what label SF would hang on you?

'armchair republican'? (I'd suggest 'barstool republican' but that's already taken and would apply to a lot of those who enjoy the odd unacceptable chant )
                                              Ya want him to take a more active role ?

Comment

Strange comment - the costs will largely fall on pur children.
                                                All the current costs will fall on our kids so we might as well add a few more euros on the backs of said kids

Comment

I feel we are likely four or more generations away from a successful and peaceful reunification.

It needs to start with the abolishment of segregated primary schooling. That alone could take two generations to implement.

The children of the first batch of mixed educated will be the ones to vote for it and implement it peacefully.

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

All the current costs will fall on our kids so we might as well add a few more euros on the backs of said kids
                                                    That's basically the climate change denier argument.

Comment

Leave it alone until everyone who knew (like actually spent time with) somebody who died in the troubles has passed on and the subject becomes academic history.

Stop picking at the scab. Leave it to heal.

Most young people up there don't give a shite about the orange and green anymore thank jeepers. They care about the same things we care about down here. Housing, healthcare, education, employment and wages, cost of living and having a good time with family and friends.

The worst thing about the Shinners in government down here will be the relentless scab picking. Fiscally they will be constrained by Europe, long term plans, and reality. Not overly worried about that. They however could walk people into a reverse Brexit type thing with zero benefit compared to the cost. Essentially they will promote sectarianism and divisiveness.
                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

That's basically the climate change denier argument.
                                                        I’m happy with the current weather minus the odd heavy shower
                                                        it effects me walking

I have nothing against a tree hugger once they are happy

Comment

When UK rejoins EU 32 county Ireland can go back to being the irrelevant concept it was before Brexshit.

Comment

Ouch for Baeed. Some anticlimax.

Comment

When UK rejoins EU 32 county Ireland can go back to being the irrelevant concept it was before Brexshit.
                                                              Bullshit. Ignoring the rapid growth of SF North and South . Where is that growth coming from. They are on course to be in Government. Im stunned this is viewed as irrelevant. for (apparently) such clever guys ye really have zero awareness of whats happening. (Probably choosing to ignore it I'll give ye the benefit)

Comment

Bullshit. Ignoring the rapid growth of SF North and South . Where is that growth coming from. They are on course to be in Government. Im stunned this is viewed as irrelevant. for (apparently) such clever guys ye really have zero awareness of whats happening. (Probably choosing to ignore it I'll give ye the benefit)
                                                                sf winning seats in southern Ireland has basically nothing to do with a united Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

sf winning seats in southern Ireland has basically nothing to do with a united Ireland
                                                                  Like i said STUNNING

Comment

Interesting podcast .

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                      Lots of 80s soviet footage in the new Adam Curtis show, not as exciting as his earlier stuff. Have only watched the 1st episode though.
                                                                      Binged watched the rest of that. Think for anyone who doesn't have the spare 7 hours, episode 3 was where it picked up. Not sure if it was a brave or limited by budget decision (I'm hoping the former) to have the narration only in subtitles, but you get used to it after a while.

Edit: From Curtis https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...uss-traumazone

As I watched the footage I decided that I shouldn’t use my voice or paste music over it. The material was so strong that I didn’t want to intrude pointlessly, but rather let viewers simply experience what was happening, because it is was out of this – the anger, violence, desperation and overwhelming corruption – that Vladimir Putin emerged.
                                                                      Last edited by ComradeCollie; 15-10-22, 20:36.
                                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                        I feel we are likely four or more generations away from a successful and peaceful reunification.

It needs to start with the abolishment of segregated primary schooling. That alone could take two generations to implement.

The children of the first batch of mixed educated will be the ones to vote for it and implement it peacefully.

My sister's kid goes to an integrated education school up north. Brand new school, so full of cash, they learn about all the world's religions, including the moral values of atheism around a general philosophical concept of 'love'. She was saying last weekend when we were up there: protestant parents objected to voluntary Irish classes, then objected to the school putting on a voluntary GAA sports training outside of regular school hours. Not sure those integrated schools are going to do much.
                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

It might be irrelevant to you and plenty of others but that doesn't make it an irrelevance. It's not going away you know.... <eye rolling cliche>

I think what happens politically the UK in the next year is as important to Ireland, if not more, that what happens in the EU.

The UK will join the EU in all but name when Labour gets in and things will start to improve from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

My sister's kid goes to an integrated education school up north. Brand new school, so full of cash, they learn about all the world's religions, including the moral values of atheism around a general philosophical concept of 'love'. She was saying last weekend when we were up there: protestant parents objected to voluntary Irish classes, then objected to the school putting on a voluntary GAA sports training outside of regular school hours. Not sure those integrated schools are going to do much.
                                                                            That's why I was saying it will be the adult grandchildren of those parents.

Comment

My daughter played a match in goals (hockey) this morning for the first time. Need to knock that on the head sharpish, the amount of gear is ridiculous.

Comment

I kidnapped a blacksmith yesterday but the second i turned my back he made a bolt for the door.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

He's under a federal investigation which has made the news as it impacts his Twitter deal fiasco. That probably wasn't news anyway as he's had several investigations with SEC for market manipulation through twitter posts in the past.

Now he's posturing to withdraw Ukraine access to Starlink unless the Pentagon picks up the tab. Ironically most of it was already being heavily funded by other parties (US,UK,Poland govs for example). This is a reaction to being told STFU by a Ukrainian diplomat in response to his statement about reaching a "peaceful" cessation of hostilities. Which was basically Russia to keep the territory de facto for now and let a "real" safe vote happen without the fog of war on the annexed territories.

He's simply an egotistical gowl with a messiah complex and can't take the slightest bit of criticism. Literally the alpha-incel.
                                                                                  Seems like the criticism got to him and he's reversed his reversal. Back to providing Starlink for free.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

It might be irrelevant to you and plenty of others but that doesn't make it an irrelevance. It's not going away you know.... <eye rolling cliche>

I think what happens politically the UK in the next year is as important to Ireland, if not more, that what happens in the EU.

The UK will join the EU in all but name when Labour gets in and things will start to improve from there.
                                                                                    To be clear what I mean is that national borders are irrelevant within the EU context and with NI citizens free to operate more or less independently of London or Dublin we were already a very similar situation to what any post border poll transitional state would have looked like.
                                                                                    Up to 2016 progress was glacially slow but without brexit the current call for a border poll would be just going through the motions.

I'm not as optimistic as you about Labour bringing UK back into EU in the short term... ten year project IMO

Also have had a lot more thoughts about that Mullally article you liked, while its better written than the garbage I used to see before I took to ignoring her I'm left struggling to figure out what she might mean by 'New Republicanism'

I'm reasonably sure that HJ is right and I'd go further, the vast majority of those she is writing about don't even realise there are a million British people living on the island, the very concept of unionism rarely enters their bubble.

Comment

There singing ooh ah up the ra outside a pub in Dublin airport now Joe…
                                                                                      just wait till people hear the the Sinn Fein - IRA add ins to the “Fields of Athenry” (always added if there is a Celtic jersey in the vicinity. They’ll knock another few headlines out of that
                                                                                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                        There singing ooh ah up the ra outside a pub in Dublin airport now Joe…
                                                                                        just wait till people hear the the Sinn Fein - IRA add ins to the “Fields of Athenry” (always added if there is a Celtic jersey in the vicinity. They’ll knock another few headlines out of that
                                                                                        I fucking hate that one, the Fields of Athenry add in. Remember a bunch of scrotes doing it in Johnny Foxes one time, place packed with tourists. The mad thing though is it came across as brain dead ignorance rather than anything else.

Comment

Foden the only Engerlish type that lives up to the hype

Comment

Great result for Arsenal
                                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

I fucking hate that one, the Fields of Athenry add in. Remember a bunch of scrotes doing it in Johnny Foxes one time, place packed with tourists. The mad thing though is it came across as brain dead ignorance rather than anything else.
                                                                                              “Oh baby watch the free birds fly “
                                                                                              is actually the worst part to the addition, makes me want to jab 2 screwdrivers through my eardrums
                                                                                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                Great result for Arsenal
                                                                                                For sure, but they were absolutely dreadful; it was a miracle they got three points! Liverpool to go on a tear now is my prediction, they looked much better. Gomez was a different player.

Comment

For sure, but they were absolutely dreadful; it was a miracle they got three points! Liverpool to go on a tear now is my prediction, they looked much better. Gomez was a different player.
                                                                                                  Bold prediction. West Ham and Forest next. City are a class apart . Only one winner in this title race this season If Liverpool were where Arsenal id sai its a title race but its Citys to throw away. Good match today. Coty very wasteful with some final 3rd golden opportunities. Liverpool played 100% comitted . Nunes should be shot for not passing that time.

Comment

Had an 'event' earlier today.

Some Russian people around in the house. There isn't normally Russian people here - not sure the wife is a fan of that country, fundamentally, despite being from there. But this was the parents of a kid that my son is friends with, invited around for a first play date. Then the wife and the parents found out they're all from the same city - yada yada, joyous exclamations of kinship, yada yada.

I would describe them a bit, at least the mother, as 'typical russians'. Not in a bad way, so much as a 'world is woe' way. You can see the view on their resting faces, even if they were otherwise animated.

Anyway, there was a conversation about how bad the Russian embassy in France is, and the father says: oh, I've an even worse story. I was just over in Spain meeting Russian friends. They just had a baby a month ago and then last week went into the Russian embassy to register the birth'. It turned out the baby, less than a month old, was bawling its eyes out in the embassy (whether this was as a result of being about to be registered as Russian was unclear from the conversation), and he's talking about how rude the staff apparently were. He says the lady behind the counter in the embassy at one point shouts 'if you don't shut that fucking baby up, I will'.

To which I responded: 'and did that work?'

Perplexed Russian man in my living room: 'did what work?'

Me: 'did the baby stop crying?'

What followed was perhaps one of the most awkward silences of recent times. wow. I had genuinely thought a classic redirection low-level humour would lighten up their rather dour demeanours, but no that was most definitely not the case. At this point, and its a bit of a blur tbh, I think I mumbled something about 'oh sorry, I didn't quite follow' and gave a gormless look, followed by an offer of more cake. We never fully recovered though.

Comment

Had an 'event' earlier today.

Some Russian people around in the house. There isn't normally Russian people here - not sure the wife is a fan of that country, fundamentally, despite being from there. But this was the parents of a kid that my son is friends with, invited around for a first play date. Then the wife and the parents found out they're all from the same city - yada yada, joyous exclamations of kinship, yada yada.

I would describe them a bit, at least the mother, as 'typical russians'. Not in a bad way, so much as a 'world is woe' way. You can see the view on their resting faces, even if they were otherwise animated.

Anyway, there was a conversation about how bad the Russian embassy in France is, and the father says: oh, I've an even worse story. I was just over in Spain meeting Russian friends. They just had a baby a month ago and then last week went into the Russian embassy to register the birth'. It turned out the baby, less than a month old, was bawling its eyes out in the embassy (whether this was as a result of being about to be registered as Russian was unclear from the conversation), and he's talking about how rude the staff apparently were. He says the lady behind the counter in the embassy at one point shouts 'if you don't shut that fucking baby up, I will'.

To which I responded: 'and did that work?'

Perplexed Russian man in my living room: 'did what work?'

Me: 'did the baby stop crying?'

What followed was perhaps one of the most awkward silences of recent times. wow. I had genuinely thought a classic redirection low-level humour would lighten up their rather dour demeanours, but no that was most definitely not the case. At this point, and its a bit of a blur tbh, I think I mumbled something about 'oh sorry, I didn't quite follow' and gave a gormless look, followed by an offer of more cake. We never fully recovered though.
                                                                                                      Your kids speaking Russian at home? Would be an opportunity lost if not. Dual-lingual kids (not counting Gaelic) make for multi-lingual adults.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Your kids speaking Russian at home? Would be an opportunity lost if not. Dual-lingual kids (not counting Gaelic) make for multi-lingual adults.
                                                                                                        Nah, never kept it up unfortunately. They speak French fluently though so they are dual-lingual.

Comment

It's not just a Russian thing, east Europeans in general just have a totally different demeanour to us (although you would think HH would be fully aware of this by now ).

I remember being told by a Slovak friend that when he initially arrived in Ireland, that he thought we were mentally handicapped (his phrase) due to our habit of smiling at complete strangers. Apparently doing this is considered extremely weird, after all why on earth would you smile at someone you don't know? Smiling is only for close friends and family.

Speaking of such things, my friend with the Ukrainian partner was here for dinner at the weekend and she gave me this rather cool stamp:

20221017_091357.jpg

Comment

Nah, never kept it up unfortunately. They speak French fluently though so they are dual-lingual.
                                                                                                            When we are on our own with with the Italians there is usually a hilarious ongoing conversation being carried out incoherently in broken english, Italish hand gestures and inept use of google translate.

Last week all five grandparents (sic.) were minding 40 and 14 month old pair when the eldest one looked at us all realised what a crowd of eejits we all are and just started translating in real time like it was the most natural thing in the world.

Comment

The Iranians are going to regret their decision to supply these kamikaze drones to Putin. Really stupid, especially at a time when you're murdering your own citizens for such appalling things as showing their hair in public.

Comment

Kind of mad that Jeremy Hunt seems to have become Prime Minister, 3 years after getting frozen out by Boris and only getting the support of 20 MPs in the recent leadership vote.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                  Kind of mad that Jeremy Hunt seems to have become Prime Minister, 3 years after getting frozen out by Boris and only getting the support of 20 MPs in the recent leadership vote.
                                                                                                                  Isn't he a pretty hardcore remainer? (or at least he was)

Can't imagine that sits well with the Tory membership.

Comment

The LIV Golf Team Championship looks like it might be a watchable format as opposed to the usual weeks.

Comment

Wondering if this factual song would be considered rebellious.
                                                                                                                      Yeah baby let the O'Hallorans fly.

Comment

It's not just a Russian thing, east Europeans in general just have a totally different demeanour to us (although you would think HH would be fully aware of this by now ).

I remember being told by a Slovak friend that when he initially arrived in Ireland, that he thought we were mentally handicapped (his phrase) due to our habit of smiling at complete strangers. Apparently doing this is considered extremely weird, after all why on earth would you smile at someone you don't know? Smiling is only for close friends and family.

Speaking of such things, my friend with the Ukrainian partner was here for dinner at the weekend and she gave me this rather cool stamp:

20221017_091357.jpg
                                                                                                                        Yep, my eastern european girlfriend said the same, that it really is very strange and that the only reason somebody would smile at you like that back home is if they wanted something from you/to trick you. From their past you can see why they keep to themselves and are sombre, everybody seems so sad there which is only partly accounted for by the difference in attractiveness between the men and women.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Yep, my eastern european girlfriend said the same, that it really is very strange and that the only reason somebody would smile at you like that back home is if they wanted something from you/to trick you. From their past you can see why they keep to themselves and are sombre, everybody seems so sad there which is only partly accounted for by the difference in attractiveness between the men and women.
                                                                                                                          Surely your spirits would be lifted and you would be smiling all day long if you were perpetually surrounded by hawt (yet grumpy) laydeez?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X