This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    IPB fave Dara O'Briain (the Murukami of the comedy world, many say) booked for Saturday week, and IPB enemy Bill Bailey booked for end of April. Surely one of them will be okay.
    Who the fuck on here looks at Bill Bailey as an enemy?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
      Yeah, I'd never heard any negativity towards him anywhere. On the other hand Dara O'B would be in the same bracket as U2 or Garth Brooks for me. Good luck to them but I'd want €100 an hour to go and see any of them.
      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Sick leave or annual leave. Although he's have been paid out for annual or long service leave.
        Would be a crazy amount to accumulate, unless they are getting extra days per year. Which would still take decades.

Nope, private sector, and only get statutory entitlements. But they accumulate like annual leave and roll over. No idea if there is a cap.
        I've been there 4.5 years, and I'm rarely sick, so have almost a month of sick leave. It's not much of an enticement if companies offer more. But it's pretty common to see bonus superannuation over the statutory min.
        A few years ago I worked on an assignment for one of the largest businesses in Ireland that involved sick leave. At the time the Company had a policy of up to 21 days paid sick leave for staff. Something like 70% of staff availed of this maximum or very close to it. A reduction in this sick leave to 18 days pa saw pretty much the same 70% drop their number of days taken in line with the reduction the following year. Funny that

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Deets?
          He wasn't impressed with my weight 6 weeks ago and got me working on it as have high blood pressure. So changed my diet to cut out white bread, and other crap. Amazing how easy it is to lose it when watching what you eat.
          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

My fav Klingon.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
              Had a nice long hike today and treated myself to a Chinese.
              Hard to stay angry at them with their lovely food!

Also bought 1 small smarties eater egg.
              Tiny thing about €2
              Surprised that the cal.count was 70!! That couldn't be right I thought and investigated further to discover that this was for 1/8 of an egg. One eight. As in 12.5%
              1/8 is the "recommended portion size" apparently
              for who like....somebody on day 35 of a hunger strike who's just said they're feeling a little peckish!

So far have had 4 "portions"

You should check out how many jelly tots are a recommended serving.
              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Job closed for 3 days now due to Cyber attack. Not sure what they are doing about it very cloak and dagger .
                Fucks sake. You mentioned plasma before.....bastards going after healthcare...not that that's a surprise given their penchant for bombing anything other than military targets.

Comment

Job closed for 3 days now due to Cyber attack. Not sure what they are doing about it very cloak and dagger .
                  In all of these cases, it's pretty much how long is a piece of string?

Based on what you've said about it being cloak and dagger, wouldn't be a great sign IMO. Any public or internal message of significance about how the company is recovering and a timeline?

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

With most sweets it's 4. I'm guessing it might be 6 for jelly tots as they are smaller than most.

Comment

Micknail - any cybersecurity-related hijinks that you can post about here?

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

weird that... For a second there I actually thought it said 11.5 sweets ha ha..must have put the decimal in.the wrong place ..that's it...just an error....hmmmm..breathe Dinekes breathe ..

Comment

Had a nice long hike today and treated myself to a Chinese.

Would you know your way up/down/around Mullaghcleevaun? Or is that a bit further up the military road than you venture? I'm looking to do it this summer but struggling to find someone that knows the way and dont want to do it alone as it's got a lot of marsh and deep bog holes so need someone that knows the way and the mountain.

Also, what did you get from the Chinese?

Comment

Anyone got a definition of "ballyragging" without the Google? Used during a court case today. First I heard of it.
                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I do part time retail (permanent part time) 21 hours p/w
                              No sick pay. Theres a girl there 10 years-and no sick pay-she was I'll recently and went to GP on her second week to cet cert and apply for benefit. Think you might not get paid for the first few days but not sure about that.
                              Bit counterproductive..like if I have something I can see how you would be tempted to cert up and apply immediately for illness benefit and renew with GP as you saw fit. Turn a few days into a few weeks because of a shoddy HR policy.
                              Sick pay is a standard part of just about every developed country. In general people just use it when they need it. We're a surprisingly honest lot, people are.
                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Would you know your way up/down/around Mullaghcleevaun? Or is that a bit further up the military road than you venture? I'm looking to do it this summer but struggling to find someone that knows the way and dont want to do it alone as it's got a lot of marsh and deep bog holes so need someone that knows the way and the mountain.

Also, what did you get from the Chinese?
                                Havent even heard of it Dobby! I'm doing loops incorporating Tibradden/2 Rock/Glencullen road for the past while and was out towards Glencree for the first time on Tue. You're right to be careful though. Have had a couple of near misses not too long ago where I was thinking "that could have been nasty"

Oh, got satay chicken skewers and a 2 in 1.
                                1 cold beer and scoffed 4/8s of a Smarties egg and all the smarties
                                Last edited by dinekes; 25-03-22, 22:08.

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

A few years ago I worked on an assignment for one of the largest businesses in Ireland that involved sick leave. At the time the Company had a policy of up to 21 days paid sick leave for staff. Something like 70% of staff availed of this maximum or very close to it. A reduction in this sick leave to 18 days pa saw pretty much the same 70% drop their number of days taken in line with the reduction the following year. Funny that
                                  wait what?

I think I average 1.5 sick days a year or something like that.

Comment

I thought it was fairly obvious it was a low-level humour attempt on my part to apply a switcheroo - you should get out to comedy concerts more! Dara O'Briain frequently gets ripped to pieces here. While I think everyone is aware of the comedic genius of Bill, a king amongst comedians.

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

That seems like a pretty shit workplace.

Maybe the solution is to work on making the working environment more positive and more engaging.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

wait what?

I think I average 1.5 sick days a year or something like that.
                                        Probably because you enjoy your job?

Comment

Swamy’s power up against that gimp Tyrell Hatton in match play tomorrow- going to be a really enjoyable watch if power turns it on
                                          Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Companies without sick days are going to have Covid ridden employees reporting for work because the don't want to, or often can't afford to, lose the income. Possibly more costly in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

He wasn't impressed with my weight 6 weeks ago and got me working on it as have high blood pressure. So changed my diet to cut out white bread, and other crap. Amazing how easy it is to lose it when watching what you eat.
                                              Yeah but doesn't this also highly depend on how overweight you are to begin with?
                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Conversely in the Irish public service paid sick days are basically seen as extra annual leave days.

However sickness records are supposed to be taken into account when evaluating candidates for promotion. This is surely grossly unfair to high performing employees with genuine health conditions.

Comment

So long, and thanks for all the fish.
                                                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                    Conversely in the Irish public service paid sick days are basically seen as extra annual leave days.

However sickness records are supposed to be taken into account when evaluating candidates for promotion. This is surely grossly unfair to high performing employees with genuine health conditions.
                                                    True that.. but I was at that weight steady for about two years up to 6 weeks ago. The nagging of the doctor stuck with me
                                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

I thought it was fairly obvious it was a low-level humour attempt on my part to apply a switcheroo - you should get out to comedy concerts more! Dara O'Briain frequently gets ripped to pieces here. While I think everyone is aware of the comedic genius of Bill, a king amongst comedians.
                                                      Pretty clear that the attempt was only obvious to you. Please do a report on the Dara gig afterwards though.

Comment

I think you're the one who needs to pick up tips from the comedians

Comment

I'm pretty sure, apart from Covid this year, I've been out of work sick for two days in the last twelve and a half years.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Pretty clear that the attempt was only obvious to you. Please do a report on the Dara gig afterwards though.
                                                            Isn't Dara a common source of mockery for being too popular? That was definitely a common view on here years ago, hence the 'joke', but maybe ye have all settled into middleagedom now

Comment

I think you're the one who needs to pick up tips from the comedians
                                                              Tell me a joke, funny guy?

Comment

True that.. but I was at that weight steady for about two years up to 6 weeks ago. The nagging of the doctor stuck with me
                                                                I wouldn't count those chickens though. I lost 8kg in early 2020 with the no bread fewer carbs intermittent fasting thing, and then put on 21kg in the following months with bringing all that back and then some. It's all about finding something ok that becomes routine.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                  All good? Finishing up Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy hopefully, rather than contemplating the meaning of it all.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I wouldn't count those chickens though. I lost 8kg in early 2020 with the no bread fewer carbs intermittent fasting thing, and then put on 21kg in the following months with bringing all that back and then some. It's all about finding something ok that becomes routine.
                                                                    surely we can allow him a single day of happiness in a life bedevilled by accountancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                      Anyone got a definition of "ballyragging" without the Google? Used during a court case today. First I heard of it.
                                                                      Haven't heard it in years but I feel like its close enough to a meld of blackguarding - taking the piss
                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Tell me a joke, funny guy?
                                                                        What do you call a nun who sleepwalks? 

SPOILER
                                                                        A roamin' Catholic

I'm more of a story teller...

Comment

surely we can allow him a single day of happiness in a life bedevilled by accountancy.
                                                                          Hey I'm impressed with going to a doctor after 6 weeks! I thought I was doing well on my 3 monthly blood works.

Comment

Hard not to have a little bit of love for Kim-Jong.

Comment

Did you ever do an epic trip around Europe?

I vaguely remember you talking about wanting to do a good bit of travelling or did I get that wrong?

I'm itching to get back out on holidays again. Heading to Santorini in May and Porto in June and I Can.Not.Wait.

Comment

What do you call a nun who sleepwalks?

SPOILER
                                                                                A roamin' Catholic

I'm more of a story teller...
                                                                                I was listening to a podcast earlier in the car that made a rather convincing case that Tim Vine was one of the top British comedians of recent decades.

Comment

Fungis last squeaks!

Edit
                                                                                  Woke up this am to see Dices post. Please ring/pm someone MDoug.
                                                                                  Last edited by dinekes; 26-03-22, 07:43.

Comment

Lost my job as a mime artist the other day....

I didnt go quietly.

right...work in..the am..eyes closing...night all

Comment

Havent even heard of it Dobby! I'm doing loops incorporating Tibradden/2 Rock/Glencullen road for the past while and was out towards Glencree for the first time on Tue. You're right to be careful though. Have had a couple of near misses not too long ago where I was thinking "that could have been nasty"

Oh, got satay chicken skewers and a 2 in 1.
                                                                                      1 cold beer and scoffed 4/8s of a Smarties egg and all the smarties
                                                                                      No bother. It's the 2nd highest mountain in Wicklow. I've done the highest and 3rd highest and I feel weird having not done the 2nd highest so need to do it lol. Just a pain that it's a bit awkward compared to regular mountains/hikes.

Dinner sounds lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                        Swamy’s power up against that gimp Tyrell Hatton in match play tomorrow- going to be a really enjoyable watch if power turns it on
                                                                                        As much as I dislike Hatton. I do enjoy enjoy the sky commentary squirming every 2nd hole when the mics pick up him cursing followed by an apology. Power has the pressure off now with masters qualification so hopefully he can kick on. Definitely think he can take Hatton and make sky start apologising for choice language.

Comment

Happy to see you post. Hope you're holding up ok. Hugs

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

No bother. It's the 2nd highest mountain in Wicklow. I've done the highest and 3rd highest and I feel weird having not done the 2nd highest so need to do it lol. Just a pain that it's a bit awkward compared to regular mountains/hikes.

Dinner sounds lovely.
                                                                                              There’s no mountains in Ireland outside Kerry- only hills
                                                                                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

First round of the year tomorrow. It’s like Christmas Eve.

It’ll be dormant and hard golf course but it’ll be a golf course.
                                                                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

To be honest. Im a fat cunt. You are a fat cunt. I dont really care. You are a yo-yo boy. This is not meant from a bad place. We should have Christmas bet to motivate ourselves...

Comment

So have just bought the following from Kenny's..

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

The Wind Up Bird Chronicle

Blind Assassin

A Thousand Splendid Suns

Have loads of your other suggestions noted and will do another four or five lot after I get through these.

Cheers lads, BBV delivers.
                                                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Cant multiquote on phone but same as HH, hope ur ok dude and this is just a passing remark.

On the subject 2 of the sub contractors on our house decided to end it all over last few weeks. Both male, 35-45, no sign. Other lads in bits. Kids etc etc, horrible to see the aftermath.

Always on the end of a phone, Pm or wherever if anyone in trouble and a bed till whenever in mine or even elsewhere. You only get one shot at this so try think longterm, plenty help available even if you want it kept quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Blind Assassin

A Thousand Splendid Suns

Have loads of your other suggestions noted and will do another four or five lot after I get through these.

Have you never seen the first one in film????

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

I have and I haven't if that makes sense. I was never a movie guy, I watched it years ago with no real appreciation. I know I'll devour the book and then rewatch it and get a much fuller enjoyment out of it.

Comment

To be honest. Im a fat cunt. You are a fat cunt. I dont really care. You are a yo-yo boy. This is not meant from a bad place. We should have Christmas bet to motivate ourselves...
                                                                                                            True dat we both are, no arguement there. Have been given the health motivation though so hopefully it sticks.

Comment

I was listening to a podcast earlier in the car that made a rather convincing case that Tim Vine was one of the top British comedians of recent decades.
                                                                                                              A mate of mine that has done quite a bit of amateur stand up and organised a lot of stand up nights is a massive fan of Tim Vine. She's been to loads of his gigs and has met him and he's been very supportive/engaging with her. He comes across as a very genuine sound bloke.

Comment

Ok, so ive since learnt a few things.

MDoug, im gonna actually ask you to pm me or any of the people you know here. or pm me for a number.

Always a bed at mine dude
                                                                                                                Last edited by Dice75; 26-03-22, 01:00.

Comment

A mate of mine that has done quite a bit of amateur stand up and organised a lot of stand up nights is a massive fan of Tim Vine. She's been to loads of his gigs and has met him and he's been very supportive/engaging with her. He comes across as a very genuine sound bloke.
                                                                                                                  I think that was actually part of their support (Ed Gamble and Tim Key) in this podcast, that they both like him so much as a person, as apparently he is exactly as your friend says.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Blind Assassin

A Thousand Splendid Suns

I was deeply immersed in work earlier, so couldn't think straight. But A Clockwork Orange is the blow-your-mind book. You'd need to be reading it on a holiday rather than bit-by-bit, but once you get into it, it becomes unbelievable. Remember speaking about it for years after the fact.

Must read some of those on your list. Probably starting with Blind Assassin.

Comment

Maybe another suggestion, that probably seems silly in the grand scheme of the fine literature suggested is some diversification. A fine real-life yarn can be a great mixture. The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux, or Mr Nice by Howard Marks. Both classics of their ilk, but real life stories.

Comment

The book is different to the film

Comment

Maybe another suggestion, that probably seems silly in the grand scheme of the fine literature suggested is some diversification. A fine real-life yarn can be a great mixture. The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux, or Mr Nice by Howard Marks. Both classics of their ilk, but real life stories.
                                                                                                                          That Theroux one sounds good, good shout.

Have read Mr Nice about four times, cracking story.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X