• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

yeah, I was going to use the wildflower.ie link that strew gave
    What size area are you looking at?
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

in fairness, given the revenue produced by the intercounty game, you could hardly begrudge it...or could you
      Well its unfair on the rest who dont make the list .

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
        I expect he was planning, even spoiling for, an event of this kind for some time. He would have played out many scenarios in his mind and had a response playbook worked out to put himself in the best possible position from a legal perspective. Letters to the guards, being armed to teeth and the shooting of the dog, all show he was more than ready to rumble.
        Nothing about the incident strikes me as planned. Certainly not by anyone who had half a clue about any aspect of law.
        Armed to the teeth is a bit sensationalist at this point. We know almost no detail of his firearms. Licensing in Ireland is very tight.

Huge difference between somebody fortifying their land a la David Koresh/Branch Dravidian’s in the USofA.
        And a person who competes in target pistol/rifle, aka Olympic Sports - two extremes that came to mind.

His reasons for a having a gun license. And his explanation for having two guns that day are worth looking at.

Given his profession and intellect, his set of answers to the question "If I was going to shoot a trespasser on my land, what would be the best way to go about it?" would be very different from Joe Publics.
        It probably would be different, certainly a broader view.
        Do you really think somebody of his intellect and knowledge came up with this as the best possible plan?

At a minimum even if he manages gets off: his career is in tatters. He’ll be on remand for a year or two. Will have to spend a fortune defending himself. Plus likely civil damages.
        (and that ignoring the risk being found guilty)

Sone plan from the big brain barrister.

Comment

@Mellor: I'll certainly bet on him going to jail with the verdict being one of murder\manslaughter.

I would have lost all my previously idiotic legal opinion bets so this should be free money.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Well its unfair on the rest who dont make the list .
            incentive to do better

I think most county sides get a ​​​​​​holiday anyway? Certainly know a couple of lads who have been on them.

Maybe not if you play for some really bad county like Kildare or Offaly I suppose.​

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

That crowd down in Carlow wildflowers.ie are great and there is some good content hidden in their messy site. Her business is mainly geared towards large scale stuff but one of the key things is to get the right seeds for the area and soil type.
              Are they the flower bomb things? That you toss into a boring patch of left over grass. Interesting idea. Great for the bees

Comment

That crowd down in Carlow wildflowers.ie are great and there is some good content hidden in their messy site. Her business is mainly geared towards large scale stuff but one of the key things is to get the right seeds for the area and soil type.
                I had a look at that site last night and spent a silly amount of time looking up the soil type of my area, considering the amount of shade and drainage.
                The garden is about 20 ft long, it's never going to be a meadow
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

What size area are you looking at?
                  Maybe about 50-60sqm
                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

@Mellor: I'll certainly bet on him going to jail with the verdict being one of murder\manslaughter.

I would have lost all my previously idiotic legal opinion bets so this should be free money.
                    well its surely very difficult to get away from manslaughter. But manslaughter can be any level of punishment, from a suspended sentence to a near-murder sentence.

Comment

If I was an unscrupulous angleshooter. I'd have your hand off there. The verdict will be neither murder nor manslaughter.

SPOILER
                      ...as they are possibilities for the charges, but not the verdict.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                        If I was an unscrupulous angleshooter. I'd have your hand off there. The verdict will be neither murder nor manslaughter.

SPOILER
                        ...as they are possibilities for the charges, but not the verdict.
                        Charge - manslaughter.
                        Verdict - guilty\not guilty of manslaughter.

? Would have thought that was obvious.

Comment

...and a bet of guilty vrs not-guilty is a non-runner. He's certainly guilty of breaking some laws regardless of the homicide. Criminal negligence probably is a given too.

I wasn't suggesting he was innocent, to be clear. I was pointing out that the info to date is a bit all over the place. And it's probably a case where the actual details are quite important in forming an opinion on what the charge/conviction should lawfully be.
                          He's been charged with murder now - saying at this point that he is guilty of murder - is almost certainly prejudgment.

Innocent until proven guilty doesn't necessarily mean waiting for the verdict to form an opinion, but it should mean waiting for the evidence at least.

well its surely very difficult to get away from manslaughter. But manslaughter can be any level of punishment, from a suspended sentence to a near-murder sentence.
                          At this point he's be remanded. So the minimum could even be time served. Which would technically be a "jail sentence" I suppose.
                          Last edited by Mellor; 23-03-22, 13:00.

Comment

I expect he will be acquitted of murder, but convicted of manslaughter. Should play out like the Pádraig Nally trial.
                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Charge - manslaughter.
                              Verdict - guilty\not guilty of manslaughter.

? Would have thought that was obvious.
                              You do understand what angleshoot means right?

Knowing what you meant, but taking your money off you anyway for the error.
                              I would have thought that was obvious.

Comment

I expect he will be acquitted of murder, but convicted of manslaughter. Should play out like the Pádraig Nally trial.
                                yep.

Comment

Well, hopefully not and he gets sent to jail where he belongs.

Comment

You do understand what angleshoot means right?

Knowing what you meant, but taking your money off you anyway for the error.
                                    I would have thought that was obvious.
                                    Sure, so do you fancy a wager in any case?

Comment

I'd guess that's the most likely, but other options are on the table depending specifics. It seems like the victim was maybe doing something legal - but again, reports are unclear.

Padraig Nally/John Ward came to my mind also. FWIW, Padraig Nally was found non-guilty.

Comment

Surely he's a prime target for a bullet himself.

Comment

Well, hopefully not and he gets sent to jail where he belongs.
                                          You think the appeal court erred in the case of Padraig Nally? Was there a particular law that you think they erred in interpreting? Or you would just generally prefer more people locked up, because of the longstanding data showing that imprisonment does almost nothing to reduce crime.

Comment

Sure, so do you fancy a wager in any case?
                                            I would be opposed to betting on a trial (or an invasion). Not for a bet where you get all outcomes.
                                            as I said above, I think a negligence charge is a given.

Comment

Surely he's a prime target for a bullet himself.
                                              Seems like that was mentioned in the bail hearing. That if he is alone home, there could be repercussions, leading to another incident. Not wrong to be fair.
                                              Also seems like the flight risk argument is pretty valid. Given the moneys at his disposal. Could easily do a Houdini.

You think the appeal court erred in the case of Padraig Nally? Was there a particular law that you think they erred in interpreting? Or you would just generally prefer more people locked up, because of the longstanding data showing that imprisonment does almost nothing to reduce crime.

This feels like a trap...

Comment

Maybe about 50-60sqm
                                                OK that's enough to be buying from her, you should look at the your soil type and get a quote from her.

Comment

I would be opposed to betting on a trial (or an invasion). Not for a bet where you get all outcomes.
                                                  as I said above, I think a negligence charge is a given.
                                                  It's stretching the definition of 'negligence' to shoot an unarmed person in the back of the head, with one of the multiple weapons you have armed yourself with.

I agree with Wombatman, the guy comes across as unhinged and someone who very much premeditated this. Hope he gets put away for as long as possible.

Comment

It's stretching the definition of 'negligence' to shoot an unarmed person in the back of the head, with one of the multiple weapons you have armed yourself with.

I agree with Wombatman, the guy comes across as unhinged and someone who very much premeditated this. Hope he gets put away for as long as possible.
                                                    To be clear the premeditation bit was that he had made up his mind to make a stand given the opportunity. He was probably done with writing to the guards about his 'unruly neighbors' after years of inaction. He had played out some likely scenarios without knowing when or what opportunity would present itself. Given his actions on the day and his mitigation appeals during the bail hearing it's pretty clear to me he was prepared and determined to 'take the law into his own hands'.
                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I don't know if this guy is a Bitcoin baller or what his story is but I have seen him dust huge stacks in a similar fashion on streams before this one.

Comment

To be clear the premeditation bit was that he had made up his mind to make a stand given the opportunity. He was probably done with writing to the guards about his 'unruly neighbors' after years of inaction. He had played out some likely scenarios without knowing when or what opportunity would present itself. Given his actions on the day and his mitigation appeals during the bail hearing it's pretty clear to me he was prepared and determined to 'take the law into his own hands'.
                                                        Oh yeah, I'm sure he sold himself some internal narrative where he 'had no other choice'.

And I'm sure he was being annoyed\aggravated. But that still comes nowhere near any possible justification of his actions.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                          Quick check on tax income has us at €3,5k owed over the last few years.
                                                          Nice wan
                                                          Just got the letters on mygov
                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

An interesting pulled back take at what the war signifies, will be borrowing the term fully automated luxury space communism”. The party is well and truly over
                                                            As I write these words, the Russo-Ukrainian war has raged for a week.  To a great many people, crises like these make the theme of my recent posts here—the potential of the human imagination—seem w…

think this realization is very slowly beginning to dawn on a great many people who convinced themselves that the world was supposed to be whatever they told it to be. To my mind, that explains better than anything else the way that the comfortable classes of our society have doubled down so frantically on the future we’re not going to get. It also explains the way that so many of them have become so obsessive and so shrill about finding something to fear and hate—Trump! Covid! Russia! Anything, anything at all, other than the still small voice reminding them that the world doesn’t notice their existence and couldn’t possibly care less about what they want. The dream is over, the wonderful future of fusion plants and flying cars isn’t going to arrive, and what mockers have termed “fully automated luxury space communism” was never more than a rather silly daydream in the heads of a privileged and clueless minority.
                                                            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

More or less saying we are where we are because of KPMG culture- not taking responsibility for failures and being amply rewarded for it
                                                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Just got the letters on mygov
                                                                See, you were due a break.

Progress on the other thing or dare I ask?

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                  An interesting pulled back take at what the war signifies, will be borrowing the term fully automated luxury space communism”. The party is well and truly over
                                                                  As I write these words, the Russo-Ukrainian war has raged for a week.  To a great many people, crises like these make the theme of my recent posts here—the potential of the human imagination—seem w…

think this realization is very slowly beginning to dawn on a great many people who convinced themselves that the world was supposed to be whatever they told it to be. To my mind, that explains better than anything else the way that the comfortable classes of our society have doubled down so frantically on the future we’re not going to get. It also explains the way that so many of them have become so obsessive and so shrill about finding something to fear and hate—Trump! Covid! Russia! Anything, anything at all, other than the still small voice reminding them that the world doesn’t notice their existence and couldn’t possibly care less about what they want. The dream is over, the wonderful future of fusion plants and flying cars isn’t going to arrive, and what mockers have termed “fully automated luxury space communism” was never more than a rather silly daydream in the heads of a privileged and clueless minority.
                                                                  I'm surprised you take this seriously, his entire thesis completely falls apart in the 2nd paragraph.

Comment

See, you were due a break.

Progress on the other thing or dare I ask?
                                                                    Fair Deal came in today, it'll cost us €600 pw and state will cover the rest.. So his pension will take the brunt
                                                                    Or the 'other' other thing?
                                                                    It's well in hand.

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

I'm surprised you take this seriously, his entire thesis completely falls apart in the 2nd paragraph.
                                                                      Yeah its absolute claptrap

Yet one thing that’s been made very clear by the current crisis is that the US and its European vassal states no longer have anything like as much influence over events as they like to pretend. How soon that influence will finish its decline into irrelevance is a good question.
                                                                      European vassal states

This lad has is brain locked into a common misreading of the 1970's

influence over events as they like to pretend

Who is pretending what? the UK couldn't get a citizen out of Iran for 6 years FFS!

My prediction FWIW is that post Putin it won't take very long for the Russian people to open their eyes to the opportunities that are open to them if they were to choose to follow the path of their former vassal states and opt for democracy over autocracy.

Comment

Fair Deal came in today, it'll cost us €600 pw and state will cover the rest.. So his pension will take the brunt
                                                                        It's well in hand.
                                                                        It was the other, other thing. Good news.

You'll find a penny on the street tomorrow.

Comment

Yeah its absolute claptrap

European vassal states

This lad has is brain locked into a common misreading of the 1970's

influence over events as they like to pretend

Who is pretending what? the UK couldn't get a citizen out of Iran for 6 years FFS!

My prediction FWIW is that post Putin it won't take very long for the Russian people to open their eyes to the opportunities that are open to them if they were to choose to follow the path of their former vassal states and opt for democracy over autocracy.
                                                                          I don't follow the first bit of your post.

The last bit though implies an autonomy which doesn't exist and may well continue not to exist in the absence of Mad Vlad. It's not like there's a queue of charismatic democrats in the style of Walesa or Havel. I'd say the next Russian fuhrer is very likely to be another strongman.

I do think, laughable though it may sound right now, the EU should be making noises about how Russia could potentially apply for membership (obviously once all the horrible shit is dealt with).

Comment

I don't follow the first bit of your post.

The last bit though implies an autonomy which doesn't exist and may well continue not to exist in the absence of Mad Vlad. It's not like there's a queue of charismatic democrats in the style of Walesa or Havel. I'd say the next Russian fuhrer is very likely to be another strongman.

I do think, laughable though it may sound right now, the EU should be making noises about how Russia could potentially apply for membership (obviously once all the horrible shit is dealt with).
                                                                            The first bit is that it was a commonly held opinion amongst various flavours of gobshite that European countries were Vassal states of the US this was never true. Its only fools like Wallace and Daly who see the West as being a hegemony that is trying through NATO to subjugate and dominate weaker countries.

Sure the autonomy does not exist now and it never has and perhaps they will continue to want to be led by Tsars but just because we can't see any real opposition from here is not a reason why they couldn't follow the path of the Baltic states towards Europe.

Comment

Accents are amazing things

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/com...eb2x&context=3

Granddaughter aged three has completely discarded anything she picked up from her parents and speaks like a proper Londoner from her interactions in pre school nursery
                                                                              Last edited by Strewelpeter; 23-03-22, 21:57.

Comment

It’s still a lessor culpable form of manslaughter. I’m saying that conviction is given - ie the trial is about which form of homicide he is guilty of.
                                                                                Im not sure which part of that you disagree with.

I think WBM was saying he planning hypothetical actions for a hypothetical scenario. Not that it was premeditated - which would make it murder, and a life sentence.
                                                                                My point was that there’s isn’t nearly enough information in the messy reports to form an opinion on that.

Comment

It's well in hand.

​​​
                                                                                  Isn't the pension 200 a week?

It's complex and every individual situation is different but there is something wrong about the way it is so hard to get homecare and so easy to get nursing home care.

Comment

Couple of pics of our hardware being used in Ukraine now. First is a backpack giving internet access to aid workers in various NGO's, and second is a bulletproof convoy car.

Dazt3Orl.jpg

pxPO5dMl.jpg

Comment

I have a sore throat and a bit of a cough.
                                                                                      This could be it for me folx.
                                                                                      Probably have ebola, SARS, swine flu and the black plague.

What way does this work with sick leave/ WFH?
                                                                                      Do I get 10 days of watching movies now?
                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                        I have a sore throat and a bit of a cough.
                                                                                        This could be it for me folx.
                                                                                        Probably have ebola, SARS, swine flu and the black plague.

What way does this work with sick leave/ WFH?
                                                                                        Do I get 10 days of watching movies now?
                                                                                        Probably depends on employer. I remember suck pay wasn’t an statutory entitlement back in day. Has that changed?
                                                                                        If you have them, should be able to take them.

I had covid at Christmas when back in Ireland. In January my boss told me to change a week of leave to sick pay.

Comment

Spotify is a digital music service that gives you access to millions of songs.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                            Within 4 secs - imagine most would get that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                              Couple of pics of our hardware being used in Ukraine now. First is a backpack giving internet access to aid workers in various NGO's, and second is a bulletproof convoy car.

Dazt3Orl.jpg
                                                                                              typical christian suicide bombers scared of death, wearing their bomb on their backs rather than around the waist, staring at death front on like everyone else does.

Comment

Probably depends on employer. I remember suck pay wasn’t an statutory entitlement back in day. Has that changed?

I had covid at Christmas when back in Ireland. In January my boss told me to change a week of leave to sick pay.
                                                                                                Am interested in hearing more .

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Lol, I wouldn't get it with the whole song and the name of the band.
                                                                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Neg result on the first Antigen test i've ever done.
                                                                                                    Man flu is probably worse at this stage right?
                                                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Isn't the pension 200 a week?

It's complex and every individual situation is different but there is something wrong about the way it is so hard to get homecare and so easy to get nursing home care.
                                                                                                      state + workers pension.
                                                                                                      Tbh, at the stage we are, home care wouldn't cut it unless it's nearly round the clock.
                                                                                                      He's in respite the last few days and I don't know myself sleeping through the night.

Comment

Neg result on the first Antigen test i've ever done.
                                                                                                        Man flu is probably worse at this stage right?
                                                                                                        I only tested positive about 5 days after starting to feel sick. Still positive now 10 days later. Coughing a lot still and very tired.

May just be old age of course.

Comment

I only tested positive about 5 days after starting to feel sick. Still positive now 10 days later. Coughing a lot still and very tired.

May just be old age of course.
                                                                                                          Yeah man i'm half your age like
                                                                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Am interested in hearing more .
                                                                                                            Blowjobs were an out of pocket expense back in the day

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Thought I had it in 3. But the song I though it was, wasn't in the list. From there it was easy to get the right answer without another second.

Comment

There was none but it is changing:
                                                                                                              • Paid sick leave for up to 3 sick days in 2022. This is planned to increase to 5 days in 2023, 7 days in 2024 and 10 days in 2025.
                                                                                                              • A rate of payment for statutory sick leave of 70% of normal wages to be paid by employers (up to a maximum €110 per day).
                                                                                                              • A right for workers to take a complaint to the WRC where they are not provided with a company sick pay scheme.
                                                                                                              Of course most good workplaces have paid sick leave, I was off for 3 months. A person joined and during probation got a life changing illness, first thing they were told was that their job is safe, don't worry about work at all and go get better. But it is good for employers taking the piss to finally have some laws around it.

Comment

Planning a picnic in merrion sq/stephens green for mothers day.
                                                                                                                Was thinking Tang/Coffee Hive maybe for picnic materials or is there somewhere that might do a picnic basket for mammy's day?

Comment

Yeah man i'm half your age like
                                                                                                                  You're half as old as me and a third as old as Solks. So what age is sp?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                    There was none but it is changing:
                                                                                                                    • Paid sick leave for up to 3 sick days in 2022. This is planned to increase to 5 days in 2023, 7 days in 2024 and 10 days in 2025.
                                                                                                                    • A rate of payment for statutory sick leave of 70% of normal wages to be paid by employers (up to a maximum €110 per day).
                                                                                                                    • A right for workers to take a complaint to the WRC where they are not provided with a company sick pay scheme.
                                                                                                                    Of course most good workplaces have paid sick leave, I was off for 3 months. A person joined and during probation got a life changing illness, first thing they were told was that their job is safe, don't worry about work at all and go get better. But it is good for employers taking the piss to finally have some laws around it.
                                                                                                                    It’s about time that there was something statutory. It’s a step in the right direction, but it’s still pretty poor imo.
                                                                                                                    3 days, capped at €110 a day. So equal to 28k p.a salary.

Comment

It’s about time that there was something statutory. It’s a step in the right direction, but it’s still pretty poor imo.
                                                                                                                      3 days, capped at €110 a day. So equal to 28k p.a salary.
                                                                                                                      I'd imagine most people who earn more than that work for places that give sick pay anyhow, at least to the extent of a few days per year. Most who wouldn't have that would be retail and service sector and their pay would definitely be on the lower end of the scale.

Comment

You're half as old as me and a third as old as Solks. So what age is sp?
                                                                                                                        Not sure the numbers go that high, need a third digit on the counter.

Charles and Miss Parker-Bowles in my neck of the woods today.
                                                                                                                        AM expecting an assassination attempt by David Cullinane on them, via the medium of trad sing song
                                                                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

thoughts on mortgage rates rising, would you do:
                                                                                                                          2.25%@3 years fixed
                                                                                                                          2.45%@5 years fixed

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X