This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
    I'm not arguing with you - if you've noticed I haven't replied to a single other one of your posts on anything Trump related!
    This isn't Trump related.

Comment

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post
      It's been good to see the resurgence of the forum over the past few weeks. Every forum needs a good troll and over the years we've had some of the best exponents of the art.

Maybe Eagle eye or DBC are lurking and might make a apperence. Would be good to see some decency and talent return the role.
      Little offended I won't lie.

Comment

Mellor that hunting thread in the other place contains some truly awful legal analysis. Sounds like the team supporting J*hn W*t*rs and the other one in the judicial review.
        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
          Little offended I won't lie.
          Apologies, will edit post. Total oversight/blind spot by me. Sorry again, always loved your work.

Comment

most importantly of all, have we hit the point where we should be throwing the mattress loots back into the market or not...

...asking for a friend
            Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

So not everything they say is 100%? Does that revise your probability of what you were saying earlier? Do you still think it's 100% that it didn't originate from a lab?
              I think there's a very obvious difference between zero evidence that it originated in a lab and 100% probability it didn't occur in a lab.

They're not remotely mutual exclusive positions, one can believe both.

I believe there is zero evidence it originated in a lab but I also believe there is a small probability that it might have originated that way.

Comment

Bats were never in the wet market in Wuhan. They were in the lab in Wuhan. Viruses have escaped multiple times from such labs.

And we putting a 0% probability that it happened with this cornavirus cause...Trump?
                Bats where in the lab, carrying bat viruses. The bats came from the wild. Any viruses they carried were out there out of the lab before they were ever in it.

The event that trigger this pandemic is when a coronavirus crossed the species barrier, from bats to humans. Which either happened in the wild, naturally. Or it was engineered in a lab.
                The that it would happen natural, in the lab. Seems a stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                  Bats where in the lab, carrying bat viruses. The bats came from the wild. Any viruses they carried were out there out of the lab before they were ever in it.

The event that trigger this pandemic is when a coronavirus crossed the species barrier, from bats to humans. Which either happened in the wild, naturally. Or it was engineered in a lab.
                  The that it would happen natural, in the lab. Seems a stretch.
                  Doesn't have to have been engineered in the lab. Transmission could have occurred there by accident. There are reports (haven't looked into their veracity), of researchers talking about being attached and urinated on by bats in that lab

Comment

2+2 must be some cesspit

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                      Mellor that hunting thread in the other place contains some truly awful legal analysis. Sounds like the team supporting J*hn W*t*rs and the other one in the judicial review.
                      The constitution one, or another one?
                      The lads seem to jump to extreme positions instantly. "If its in the constitution, they can't restrict it by law because God".

Hmmm, no lads. There are still laws.

Comment

Doesn't have to have been engineered in the lab. Transmission could have occurred there by accident. There are reports (haven't looked into their veracity), of researchers talking about being attached and urinated on by bats in that lab
                        It wouldn't be possible to accidentally catch the virus that was present in bats unless that virus was transmittable to humans. Prior to the outbreak, the corona-viruses in bats weren't.
                        Before it made the jump, it needed mutate into a human-strain. If we're going with the idea that it mutated naturally (as opposed to being engineered), then more likely to have happened in the wild population on a pure numbers basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                          I don't get the Taiwan youtube thing. Do you think it was the right time to resolve the 70-year-old issue of recognition of Taiwan and that a health organisation was the organisation to decide that? Bear in mind that almost no major nation in the world recognises Taiwan as an independent country. But Mike Ryan should take time out of corona to fix that hot potato. Maybe he could fix Palestine on his free weekends also.
                          Well put.

I'd love to hear anyone trying to counter that argument and an apples:bannanas pic of Neville Chamberlin isn't a valid counter argument

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                          I believe there is zero evidence it originated in a lab but I also believe there is a small probability that it might have originated that way.
                          And a 0% chance that it matters to anyone other that Trump enablers who need him to be right about something, anything
                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

The constitution one, or another one?
                            The lads seem to jump to extreme positions instantly. "If its in the constitution, they can't restrict it by law because God".

Hmmm, no lads. There are still laws.
                            The constitution one. Mental.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                              I haven't been following much in the past couple of weeks, just overload at this stage. Anything I do read I just send it direct to CHDad

Perhaps viral load is a thing and there are strains which are worse but I don't think that's the difference between EU countries.

Take a look at this map:https://www.gisaid.org/epiflu-applic...t-hcov-19-app/

This one is easier to filter, same source: https://nextstrain.org/ncov/global
                              Can't be that easy to touch a nerve

Post more.

Comment

Have any of you checked the best before dates on packets of crisps since the last Athletico Mince podcast? They mentioned (perhaps jokingly) that all crisp bbds are a Saturday. Was correct on the small sample size availaible to me so far
                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                  Thanks Gil, yeah it's a tough process. The injections were a nightmare for her, didn't help that the pharmacist only supplied half doses meaning she had twice the amount. Covered in bruises for weeks.

Definitely the last time she's going through it.

Yiz are tough cookies you wimmins
                                  Have you seen this picture before? sums it up...

Comment

Sometimes I think Denny is the biggest troll on here.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

On another note got email yesterday with only 28 people CCd me being the only retail staff in the mix

A meeting with the big man

"Hi guys,

JD is holding business updates with people across the business to get feedback on how you’re all doing and you have been selected
                                      So I finally won something. I got agent of the month for February. The only person across retail!! The rest were the call centre.

JD himself called out mine, he read out why I was nominated which is below
                                      I was beeming on video chat and actually was emotional

There are 4 different nominations and I was nominated for the Collaborative & Inclusive

To win the next one would be a huge achievement. But happy enough to get this far so far. Proud as punch!

"Hi Michelle,

You’ve been nominated by Neil ****** and here’s what they had to say:

How did they bring this value to life?
                                      For Michelle, it’s not just about the customer, it’s about the team too. She is extremely knowledgeable and adds a warmth and sense of fun to the role which customers and staff are automatically drawn to. She is able to assess situations quickly and impart her knowledge and experience to put customers with varying and diverse needs at ease, as well as helping answer queries from the team without hesitation. Michelle is a true people person.

What did they do that inspired you?
                                      I was recently sent to spend some time with Michelle at her stand as I was, at the time, going through a lean period at Sky and my motivation and confidence was dwindling. Working with her for just a couple of days, she encouraged me to try new ideas and sales techniques, and coached me on aspects of the role that I had forgotten or hadn’t even thought of. Nothing was too much trouble, putting me above her own needs to help get be back on track. She was genuinely happy for me when it did, and that meant a lot.

How did they make a difference to you, to others and to our business?
                                      This was an invaluable experience. Not only did I regain my confidence and equip with new tools, it reignited my passion for the role and Sky. It was a major turning point for me and I left there not only prepared for my return to my location with renewed vigor, but I had a very successful time whilst with her. Michelle is not only there when things are good, but when sales are quiet and heads are down, she is always there to encourage and lift spirits. She continues to be generous with her time, and it is reassuring to know that she is just a phone call away. Thank you Michelle.

What happens next:

Your nomination will go into a shortlisting process*
                                      We’ll announce our shortlisted nominees in April*
                                      And our country and group winners in May
                                      The Best of Sky Awards celebrate our people who bring Sky Values to life through the amazing work they do, and how they do it. So whether you’re one of the winners or not, a big well done for being nominated and thank you for helping make Sky a better place.

Good Luck!

Group Chief Marketing, Corporate Affairs & People Officer
                                      Her sky-ness
                                      © 5starpool

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Fingers crossed we hear something from Leo on this tonight on Prime Tme

Comment

I honestly can't take much more of people talking with arrogant confidence about bad data that they have a bad understanding of. Need to turn off Twitter.
                                            If I see another ill thought out 'but per capita' Tweet it might be the final straw.

Comment

Hitch, bit devious dragging me into your how much devilment can I cause on twitter experiment.

I'd say decent chance could get a mention tonight.

Comment

Fingers crossed we hear something from Leo on this tonight on Prime Tme

I'm sure it's top of his list of priorities.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                  I admire his committment. And to still be getting bites after all this time is quite an achievement.

Comment

Fucking hell even Prime Time are at it.

Comment

Also 8/10

(accepting Randolph, but I was looking for Winston)

As above. I was looking for Winston Churchill, who lived there from ages 2-6 while Randolph was secretary to Lord Lieutenant Churchill.
                                                      Ratra was the official residence of the Secretary so I wouldn't be accepting Winston at all. Randolph was the official resident and Winston came with him.

Comment

Bit disappointing no mention of the Golf yet.

Comment

Do you want to try again? We're not talking about ebola and HIV outbreaks. I'm sure they're great at that. But their track record on Covid has been dire.

We've seen time and time again how badly experts have done in novel situations or with novel information.

Traders have been >>>> epidemiologists when it comes to modeling this so far

Remember when Oxford’s Evolutionary Ecology of Infectious Disease group came out saying that cornavirus may have effected 50% of the UK population? https://www.ft.com/content/5ff6469a-...f-41bea055720b

experts from the WHO doesn't mean anything.
                                                          CDC director, accountable to (federal government) Trump, has come out and said the winter second wave is going to be deadlier than our current phase.

Comment

Few golf courses in the south of the country have gone under- more to follow I’m sure, even the big boys will have lost most of the yank trade for the summer

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                I admire his committment. And to still be getting bites after all this time is quite an achievement.
                                                                What is your opinion of the theory that long term posting in an antagonistic fashion or "trolling" is a form of personality disorder? Whatever about posting genuinely held opinions that may be disagreeable to others, deliberately setting out day after day to annoy others has to be a sign that something is not right with you. eagle eye was referenced earlier as a troll. For years he has been posting absolute nonsense both on boards and formerly here. To believe he is doing it on purpose is kind of frightening.

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                                                                  CDC director, accountable to (federal government) Trump, has come out and said the winter second wave is going to be deadlier than our current phase.
                                                                  Wasnt the 2nd wave of the Spanish the most deadly ?
                                                                  Perhaps it being 2020 might be the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                    I honestly can't take much more of people talking with arrogant confidence about bad data that they have a bad understanding of. Need to turn off Twitter.
                                                                    If I see another ill thought out 'but per capita' Tweet it might be the final straw.
                                                                    Scope to rant here but why? When this is all done and reviewed in a year or 2, wont it be the best index to compare (assuming perfect like for likes which there obviously wont be)

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                                                                      What is your opinion of the theory that long term posting in an antagonistic fashion or "trolling" is a form of personality disorder? Whatever about posting genuinely held opinions that may be disagreeable to others, deliberately setting out day after day to annoy others has to be a sign that something is not right with you. eagle eye was referenced earlier as a troll. For years he has been posting absolute nonsense both on boards and formerly here. To believe he is doing it on purpose is kind of frightening.
                                                                      If hes not trolling it's some prop bet or experiment . I suspect that girl at the party is really him Carlop needs to write this up

Comment

Do golf courses not have a big part of their income as yearly paid fees and so a decent part of their fixed costs covered? Would have thought that it was just a case of laying off everyone except the lawnmower dude and coasting through. Although maybe there are big debt servicing costs also.
                                                                        Depends on the course some of the top courses rely more on fleecing the yanks than others
                                                                        Also closure came at a bad time re yearly fees, would still have been in the chasing down lads for the money phase of year
                                                                        I’d say the average course in Ireland need to run a very tight ship to keep in the green

Comment

Did you read anything on whether that would suggest that a single strain vaccine should be effective against most sub-strains? It strikes me that the study quoted in my original post showing the most toxic strain being up to 270 times more dangerous than the least toxic strain suggests pretty serious differences between the sub-viruses.
                                                                          It's probably worth following this guy also. He is a founder of Nextstrain and posts more regularly on this and other related matters.

My own, limited, understanding is that if the mutation occurs in the particular part of the virus that the vaccine targets, say for example the spike protein, then the vaccine would be rendered ineffective against the mutated strain.

Comment

I have paid my dues for this year so funking extra hard for some relaxation of restrictions but its been called out as 'non essential' in daily briefings a few times now.

I mean there probably isn't a better way to kill old white dudes so dunno why the outrage brigade aren't absolutely screaming for golf courses to be open tbh.
                                                                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Well he didn't specifically say the word golf. However, reading between the lines I'll be cleaning my custom made €3,000, built by the European Clubmaker of the Year - clubs that added > 10 shots to my average score for May the 5th anyway.

Comment

Just finished dinner Dom.

Nice Mexican salad with chargrilled avocado, some nachos. Had corona.
                                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

This is great.

The difference between Obama announcing the death of Bin Laden and Trump announcing the death of Al Baghdadi - This is absolute GOLD! Hahaha!

Comment

...

Comment

Estimates coming out, based on death certificates, that there's 41,000 corona deaths in UK, not the 17,000 announced so far. Jaysus. That's double the French numbers, which include non-hospital deaths, for approximately the same populations. We all absolutely called it here at the beginning as it was so obvious from the start how dodgy the UK approach was, but still mad to see the end effect.

There's a lot of caveats to comparing two countries, but given what we know about their dodgy strategy at the beginning that they had to turn on, it at least makes intuitive sense that this is something of their own making.
                                                                                      The UK are STILL doing very little community testing compared to other countries. They are not going to break the spread of the virus without a massive ramp up in community testing. They will be one of the last countries to get control of it, worryingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                        Just finished dinner Dom.

Nice Mexican salad with chargrilled avocado, some nachos. Had corona.
                                                                                        Can't have taken two hours to cook that. You're working from him now (I saw on your twitter thing earlier about the ruler) so your previous excuse of spending time with the kids after work isn't as valid anymore. I think you're really just a savage that likes eating at mad times.

Comment

Originally posted by Fullof..It View Post
                                                                                          Scope to rant here but why? When this is all done and reviewed in a year or 2, wont it be the best index to compare (assuming perfect like for likes which there obviously wont be)
                                                                                          No, because even then the spread will hopefully in single figures in terms of percent population infected, a long way off where small countries get the 'benefit' of having fewer susceptible people to infect. So you'll still be dividing a number that is independent of population by population and so small countries will tend to look worse. Ultimately population density is far more important, and all of the data is fudged anyway which goes back to my first point.
                                                                                          People just want to look for simple comparators and at the moment there just aren't any.
                                                                                          Edit: I'm mainly taking about cases per capita. Deaths per capita as a metric makes a tiny bit more sense, but it still won't be the best measure.
                                                                                          Last edited by Guest; 21-04-20, 22:45.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                            Few golf courses in the south of the country have gone under- more to follow I’m sure, even the big boys will have lost most of the yank trade for the summer
                                                                                            Feature on Ballybunion on the news last week. Guy running the place said revenue loss of €3 million in oversea visitor green fee bookings and threw in half a million shop revenue drop.

Comment

There ya go Nicky Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Lplate View Post
                                                                                                There ya go Nicky Problem solved.

https://vm.tiktok.com/76ucd9/

Ah fuck that I'm getting a buggy.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                                                                  Where's the trolling?

SPOILER
                                                                                                  Things that the WHO has said:

"no evidence of human to human transmission"
                                                                                                  "no evidence that wearing a mask has any medical benefit"
                                                                                                  "no evidence of airborne transmission "
                                                                                                  "no evidence that travel restrictions would be of benefit"

I didn't say they were out swimming with manatees.

Chinese officials refused to provide samples of its coronavirus strains to U.S. researchers shortly after the outbreak became public and did not allow international disease specialists to visit Wuhan for weeks.
                                                                                                  Hitch is calling it case closed because they said "no evidence" so far? Maybe one of the disappeared doctors has it.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                        Ratra was the official residence of the Secretary so I wouldn't be accepting Winston at all. Randolph was the official resident and Winston came with him.
                                                                                                        Ratra was the official residence of the Secretary, no argument there. However, there is no such thing as an "official resident", you know that. Randolph and Winston both resided there at the same time, so they were both residents.
                                                                                                        Same way I was s a resident of the family home when I was a child. A bit of a stretch to suggest that my father was the resident, the rest of use were non-residents living there.

I was looking for Winston, as imo he's the more noteworthy of the two. (Not really surprising that the secretary to the viceroy was living in Dublin). But fully admit that nothing in the question indicated son over the father, so I accepted both.

I do fully understand the logic your "official" argument, but I think it's fundamentally incorrect. You'd have had more success arguing that the first resident of Ratra was actually Douglas Hyde. Based on the fact that the original name was Little Lodge and only became Ratra when Hyde retired there in 1945.

Comment

The argument that traders were much better predicting than the WHO that the crisis will be bad is a strange one. It doesnt somehow mean that they are better handled to manage and deal with it. I'd guess a lot of this is about controlling expectations, the frog in warm v boiling water springs to mind.

It's insensitive to say but they can go full scorched earth and death with ebola and other outbreaks in africa due to media attention barely showing an interest. If they came out with we are all fucked then the global hysteria would be off the charts i'd say.

Just my 2c

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                            So I finally won something. I got agent of the month for February. The only person across retail!! The rest were the call centre.

JD himself called out mine, he read out why I was nominated which is below
                                                                                                            I was beeming on video chat and actually was emotional

There are 4 different nominations and I was nominated for the Collaborative & Inclusive

To win the next one would be a huge achievement. But happy enough to get this far so far. Proud as punch!

"Hi Michelle,

You’ve been nominated by Neil ****** and here’s what they had to say:

How did they bring this value to life?
                                                                                                            For Michelle, it’s not just about the customer, it’s about the team too. She is extremely knowledgeable and adds a warmth and sense of fun to the role which customers and staff are automatically drawn to. She is able to assess situations quickly and impart her knowledge and experience to put customers with varying and diverse needs at ease, as well as helping answer queries from the team without hesitation. Michelle is a true people person.

What did they do that inspired you?
                                                                                                            I was recently sent to spend some time with Michelle at her stand as I was, at the time, going through a lean period at Sky and my motivation and confidence was dwindling. Working with her for just a couple of days, she encouraged me to try new ideas and sales techniques, and coached me on aspects of the role that I had forgotten or hadn’t even thought of. Nothing was too much trouble, putting me above her own needs to help get be back on track. She was genuinely happy for me when it did, and that meant a lot.

How did they make a difference to you, to others and to our business?
                                                                                                            This was an invaluable experience. Not only did I regain my confidence and equip with new tools, it reignited my passion for the role and Sky. It was a major turning point for me and I left there not only prepared for my return to my location with renewed vigor, but I had a very successful time whilst with her. Michelle is not only there when things are good, but when sales are quiet and heads are down, she is always there to encourage and lift spirits. She continues to be generous with her time, and it is reassuring to know that she is just a phone call away. Thank you Michelle.

What happens next:

Your nomination will go into a shortlisting process*
                                                                                                            We’ll announce our shortlisted nominees in April*
                                                                                                            And our country and group winners in May
                                                                                                            The Best of Sky Awards celebrate our people who bring Sky Values to life through the amazing work they do, and how they do it. So whether you’re one of the winners or not, a big well done for being nominated and thank you for helping make Sky a better place.

Good Luck!

Group Chief Marketing, Corporate Affairs & People Officer

Dont really know why I'm.posting this at nearly 4am
                                                                                                            Insomnia and bad Poker session maybe.

Direct selling is bloody tough.
                                                                                                            You have the goods Gavigan and you deserve this from all I've heard here.

I worked for a sales crowd after poker dried up
                                                                                                            Selling energy and gas.
                                                                                                            They had an xmas bonus scheme and I came 4th nationally (whoop de do) They had prizes at the xmas party with all the sales teams and the bosses and the numpties from the Energy company all lined up clapping like fuck. Microphone on a little platform and you're called up to collect your prize.
                                                                                                            I was told by my boss(big poker fan by the way) that I had won a voucher but I would just be presented with an envelope to represent the voucher which would be posted out.(had to hound them for it)
                                                                                                            So anyway the winner goes up and says a few words and we all get called up in turn. So my bosses boss hands me the envelope which I rip open lean into the mic and say "An empty envelope!! just what I always wanted"

Anyway good luck with it

Comment

Missouri suing China over a virus is such a John Waters move. https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/p...ic/3001505001/
                                                                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley Harms View Post
                                                                                                                Can’t open the notifications page for when you have a message. Error coming up
                                                                                                                Still the same

Comment

Just catching up after a lovely 48 hours pinned to the couch trying to mind two 4yo's whilst battling dizzyness, headaches, vomiting, body aches etc, great fun altogether. On the plus side dropped another half stone. Every little helps eh mootroy. Congrats Conor.

Comment

...

Comment

This is a very good thread. Someone has heard zuuts frustration (well a bit)

But 5G

Comment

Feature on Ballybunion on the news last week. Guy running the place said revenue loss of €3 million in oversea visitor green fee bookings and threw in half a million shop revenue drop.
                                                                                                                        I suspect it will depend on the business model of the golf course even for those of a similar standard, within the same region.

For example Tramore & Faithlegg are of a similar standard, former being better tbf but within similar price range. They have very different business models though.

Faithlegg have a hotel which is popular wedding venue that buttresses the course, also owned by FBD. Tramore rely far heavier on green fees, bar & pro shop.
                                                                                                                        I'm guessing plenty of debt with that additional 9 hole add on too.

On the memberships Hitch, I'd say a far higher % of memberships in courses is based on direct debit than you'd imagine. I suspect quite a few have been halted that for the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                                          By the way I used the rest of that bread dough today and left it in the oven for about an extra 2 minutes and it was honestly as good a bread as I've ever had. Recommend anyone to give it a try as it's mostly just waiting, rather than overly technical.
                                                                                                                          Do you think letting the dough prove overnight is a good or bad thing? made my first bread at the weekend from a Nevin Maguire recipie, and it was nice but a little too doughy for me. Would have preferred it to be lighter.

So between my joke at Raoul Duke III falling flat when he posts "spending 15 in his top secret dunes hideout at Dublin no 1 dogging spot & the disaster of my last quiz question. Ive found the Inspiration for another quiz question.

Name the 6 golf courses of Ireland that have the royal prefix.
                                                                                                                          Royal Tara is not a Royal chartered course, but simply gave itself the title due to its location near the Hill of Tara, great question though.

Traders have been weeks and months ahead of the WHO on predicting how bad this was going to be. Putting someone who understands risk in charge of the WHO would be >>>>> the current situation.
                                                                                                                          I'm not sure that's the case, the stock market didn't really move in the US until the end of February, and even today we're really just back at June 2019 levels.

FWIW I like your arguing the other side, it removes the group think that's prevalent. I don't agree with it always but I still think it's worth hearing.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X