This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
    I'd say about 10K apart, you wouldn't walk it with a set of clubs on your back.
    It was a beautiful sight to see Royal Dublin turned over to the avian wildlife today with nary a be-Pringled twat to be seen.

There are upsides to everything.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post
      So between my joke at Raoul Duke III falling flat when he posts "spending 15 in his top secret dunes hideout at Dublin no 1 dogging spot & the disaster of my last quiz question. Ive found the Inspiration for another quiz question.

Name the 6 golf courses of Ireland that have the royal prefix.
      SPOILER
      County Down
      Portrush
      Tara
      Curragh
      Dublin

One shy.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
        Beer wanker report
        Been sipping some lough gill brewery stuff, set up by the guy who left white hag because it was too commercial man.
        Nice stuff
        Didn't know about that. Thanks must give them a try.

Comment

Genuinely can't see what you are saving by such ritualistic packing Laz. You have to plonk all the bags in your kitchen anyway, and it's easy enough to put them into the correct cupboard/fridge from there.
          There may be a handful of extra steps involved, but the time lost here will balance out the time you wasted in the shop.
          Anyway balanced weight of each bag is more important than having similar items together.

Also I assume you know you shouldn't pack your bananas with other fruit if possible.
          I seem to have this fixation on efficiency with mundane things like shop packing, emptying the dishwasher, what route I take places etc.

I'm not sure it's even about saving time tbh, probably a mild OCD. Today for instance, at the till, I've three or four bags open. I'm thinking about a particular cupboard and grabbing everything I see that goes there and throwing it into that bag. Repeat for fridge etc. When I get home then, I'll go to that cupboard and everything in that bag goes in there. No fucking about.

With the dishwasher I'll focus on everything I can see for one side of the kitchen, and work on that. If when I switch to the other side and cop something I've missed I want to punch a penguin.

Just a little dead arm, wouldn't want to knock him out or anything.

But yeah, all other methods are weird.
          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
            Do you notice whether your missus packs all fridge and freezer items in one bag, all fruit and veg in one bag, all dry goods in another, all detergenty stuff in another while you scratch your arse watching like you did when your m8 built the fence you took credit for?

Because if she doesn't she's not premier league.
            As I said, she has it down to military style precision. So yes, she has everything exactly where it should be. I can pick up a bag to unpack and know whether to go to press, cupboard, fridge or freezer by what's on top of the bag. Shes a top beour

Comment

I always think portmarnock and royal co dublin are one and the same, they are really close to each other though, right?
              St Anne's you are thinking of, both on Bull Island.

Anyone else have the experience of thinking they were going to play Portmarnoch Colf Club links only to be scoffed at over the intercom at the barrier entrance and sent packing up the road to the Portmarnoch Hotel Links.

Comment

By the way, my wife is 6 months pregnant. Another IVF baby. Soon to be outnumbered.

Waited until a fair way down the road to say anything to anyone, only told my folks a fortnight ago.

Perfect so far.

Comment

I do nearly all the shopping in my house.
                  That section in the supermarket where they sell bags of chia seeds for 9 euro and organic rice cakes for whatever is there to punish men who let their wives do the shopping
                  You can get Chia seeds (which are fantastic) for about 1 euro in LIDL. I'm surprised a man of your scepticism is shopping in one of the overpriced supermarkets, although the apple love makes more sense now.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                    SPOILER
                    County Down
                    Portrush
                    Tara
                    Curragh
                    Dublin

One shy.
                    SPOILER
                    Belfast, don't bother putting on any to play list

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Also I assume you know you shouldn't pack your bananas with other fruit if possible.
                        That depends, it's not necessarily bad. (And also will have little or no effect for the short time it's there)

If you want to ripen Kiwis or Avocados put leave them in a bowl with bananas.

Comment

Ha, it's the opposite in my gaff. Came home today to the same response as always, 'WTF did you spend all that on, gimme a look at the receipt............... why are you buying €5 eggs you prick? Go to Aldi will you ffs'

Always have a battle on my hands to let me go to Supervalu where the good beer is.
                          Go to aldi you prick. I was always a Tesco man. Missus said we should do the weekly shop in aldi, I scoffed, she halved the bill by going to aldi, she wins. I just go and do my booze run in the offy while shes shopping.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                            You can get Chia seeds (which are fantastic) for about 1 euro in LIDL. I'm surprised a man of your scepticism is shopping in one of the overpriced supermarkets, although the apple love makes more sense now.
                            Nah I mix and match , Lidl good for some things but sometimes you get what you pay for

Comment

By the way, my wife is 6 months pregnant. Another IVF baby. Soon to be outnumbered.

Waited until a fair way down the road to say anything to anyone, only told my folks a fortnight ago.

Perfect so far.
                              Congrats, although 5 months into number 2 I'm still regularly wondering why anyone wants multiple children? Babies are hard, babies when you have a toddler is next level hard. We've no intention of going again!

Loads of positives too obviously, but fuck me it's constant.

Comment

Lidl and Aldi are so grim that I don't care if they have the best food in the world for free.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                  Congrats, although 5 months into number 2 I'm still regularly wondering why anyone wants multiple children? Babies are hard, babies when you have a toddler is next level hard. We've no intention of going again!

Ha, it was a long long long decision making process.

I suppose we were swayed by having a load of healthy embryos on ice. We didn't have to go through the whole thing. The difficult part was done.

Comment

Perfect so far.
                                    This made me smile. Congrats and BoL

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                      Lidl and Aldi are so grim that I don't care if they have the best food in the world for free.
                                      They are good for some things in fairness. Great greek yoghurt, the best. Great frozen pies, frozen fruit & veg. Good too for evey day meat, and the best value for all that non food stuff, nappies, washing powder etc, from a cheapness pov.

Jesus what's happened us.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

SPOILER
                                          Belfast, don't bother putting on any to play list
                                          It’s awful.

I’m a member of Royal Dublin.

Portmarnock used to be a Royal Club many moons ago
                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

They are good for some things in fairness. Great greek yoghurt, the best. Great frozen pies, frozen fruit & veg. Good too for evey day meat, and the best value for all that non food stuff, nappies, washing powder etc, from a cheapness pov.

Jesus what's happened us.
                                            Started going to butcher and fruit and veg shop for that stuff. Infinitely better. Prob good value for other things but queuing behind 8 people with 200 things on their trollies in austere silence and then being rushed to pack up does me in.
                                            Last edited by Guest; 20-04-20, 22:36.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Found 2 very difficult for a few years but it gets better (we had decent gaps in age)

3 is doddle so far.

Might go for 4
                                              His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

What's grim about them? The staff are friendlier than Tesco, everything else seems about the same.

Comment

See above. Tesco Artane ftw

Comment

Congrats Laz! Unreal, safest of run ins to all of you.
                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                      I do too and takes me half the time . Military precision . I'm the formula 1 of trolley maneuvers. Do you do the 6 bag carry into the house Takes ages for the blood to get
                                                      Back into the fingers but the alone time is worth it.
                                                      Are you even a man if you take your shopping in more than one go?

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                      Hardware, in effect, it's a different type of hard drive. You'd need someone to have it installed in the laptop.

It would make a vast improvement though. It probably depends if the laptop is worth upgrading.
                                                      I wouldnt want to spend >200 keeping it going. dont use laptop enough to justify it.

Comment

Started going to butcher and fruit and veg shop for that stuff. Infinitely better. Prob good value for other things but queuing behind 8 people with 200 things on their trollies in austere silence and then being rushed to pack up does me in.
                                                        I meant frozen f&v, I don't think they're great for fresh produce, stuff is close to death. Much prefer my local butchers for that stuff. (they have a decent veg section)

Comment

Surprised by the lack of love for Ozark. Storylines can be a bit wonky for sure but the acting, characters and dialogue are of the hugest quality. Linney is an actress at the very top of her game. Also many of the episodes, some of the better ones actually, are directed by Bateman.

Half way through S03 and really enjoying it.

You must be a total inbred fucking dickwad if you don't think Ruth Langmore is a gem.
                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                            It’s awful.

I’m a member of Royal Dublin.

Portmarnock used to be a Royal Club many moons ago
                                                            I've played St Anne's ( liked it, but holed everything I looked at on the day so a bias ) but not your Club. Are the courses very similar ?

Comment

Could Djokovic have a more suitable firstname? I dont think so.
                                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I've played St Anne's ( liked it, but holed everything I looked at on the day so a bias ) but not your Club. Are the courses very similar ?
                                                                St Anne’s is grand. Royal Dublin is much more difficult. Not a patch on Portmarnock or the Island but still decent.

Comment

See above. Tesco Artane ftw
                                                                  That's crazy then! That shopping centre is a total kip, it's like something from the third world. I assumed you were shopping in some boutique shopping experience. My girlfriend lives there and I've cooked burritos for us a couple of times. The first time I made the mistake of going to Tesco - the ingredients cost me nearly twice as much as when I went to the LIDL across the road. The staff are nicer in LIDL the places is kept much better and you're much more likely to get a smile at the checkout. Every time you go to Tesco they are stealing from you, it's incredible the difference in prices for basically the same thing. You're certainly not paying for quality.

Comment

More good news for our testing capacity with the purchase of 17 PCR machines from China. I love how the Chinese were so impressed with Micheál Martin that it helped facilitate the deal!

Dr O’Brien, who studied medicine in China, arranged teleconferences with hospitals there, which were telecast by RTÉ and attended by Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin for “gravitas”, he said. As a result, the Chinese were “very impressed” Ireland was trying to copy some of their strategies, and this made the procurement process easier.

Comment

Agreed, and am a Tesco Artane man like you, but I have noticed that young hot Eastern European women seem to frequent the others judging by the Lidl on Moore Street.

Comment

Congrats Conor. I wanted a 3rd but missus sez the shop is closed. I'm considering my options. That Polish girl in the Deli . Her Hips are acceptable for the job

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                          Surprised by the lack of love for Ozark. Storylines can be a bit wonky for sure but the acting, characters and dialogue are of the hugest quality. Linney is an actress at the very top of her game. Also many of the episodes, some of the better ones actually, are directed by Bateman.

Half way through S03 and really enjoying it.

You must be a total inbred fucking dickwad if you don't think Ruth Langmore is a gem.
                                                                          I'm loving it. Wendy is the star imo bit behind though

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                                                                            In fairness, I did mention the words bogus and biased in my post about the study. It seems Germany are the nation most advanced in answering the antibody question.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9472701.html
                                                                            To be clear, any annoyance in my post is at the media who will eagerly run “50 - 85 fold more widespread infection” as a headline report of a non peer reviewed paper and not give a second’s mention to the subsequent challenge / debunking.
                                                                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

In a normal world. I'd be just getting up to a cup of tea right now getting ready to leave for a flight to Fuerteventura to loll about a villa for 9 nights.

Fuck my life
                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                In a normal world. I'd be just getting up to a cup of tea right now getting ready to leave for a flight to Fuerteventura to loll about a villa for 9 nights.

Fuck my life
                                                                                Tragic gran Ann O'Rourke, of Dublin, Ireland, succumbed to her short battle with coronavirus (Covid-19) on Sunday - days after contracting the virus

Comment

Ah jaysus I know that's horrific, awful everywhere but one can't helping thinking of what might have been either, selfish you may think yeah I know. But just thoughts. I'm sure many many like me tbf.

I do have empathy for the sadness too. I'm. Not a complete cunt like
                                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Who made you Mister morale compass.

You were making a snigger out of poor auld Tadhg a few weeks back for a laugh. For all you know the chap could have read that and it can have had a serious affect on him.

I want to play golf. Shouldn't I want that because there's suffering in the world ? is that your logic.

If you want to pick a fight with someone, pick on someone your own size.

Comment

That's crazy then! That shopping centre is a total kip, it's like something from the third world. I assumed you were shopping in some boutique shopping experience. My girlfriend lives there and I've cooked burritos for us a couple of times. The first time I made the mistake of going to Tesco - the ingredients cost me nearly twice as much as when I went to the LIDL across the road. The staff are nicer in LIDL the places is kept much better and you're much more likely to get a smile at the checkout. Every time you go to Tesco they are stealing from you, it's incredible the difference in prices for basically the same thing. You're certainly not paying for quality.
                                                                                      Tesco are thieving bastards. Did a shop in Tesco Derry. Came to 38.46 stg. Out of curiosity priced it in Tesco Letterkenny exact same stuff was 81.25 euro. Same supermarket half an hour apart. Robbing fckers. Rip off Republic alive and well.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                        To be clear, any annoyance in my post is at the media who will eagerly run “50 - 85 fold more widespread infection” as a headline report of a non peer reviewed paper and not give a second’s mention to the subsequent challenge / debunking.
                                                                                        If one thing was to come of this, a reset on media sentiment would be a decent side effect.

Something like the sentiment of NYT has been trending steadily downwards since post WW2.
                                                                                        If you look at global media, it is even more precipitous, becoming sharply more negative since the 1980s.

Media in the current age is about speed & generally negative headlines. It seems pretty standard to publish something like that and not give it much reconsideration, in the face of standard push back.

Remember, there has been far more hyperbolic doomsday headlines published in recent weeks -that have proved incorrect and never reconsidered- than overestimated positive studies.

Comment

Perfect so far.
                                                                                          That's great news. Congrats man. Delighted for you both.

Comment

Random Trivia,
                                                                                            1. What was the shortest war in history, and roughly how long did it last?
                                                                                            2. Which US president was the last to kill somebody in a duel?
                                                                                            3. 18th century King of England, George I, was notably unable to do what?
                                                                                            4. During the term of which US president did the White house install it's first computer?
                                                                                            5. The White House is based architecturally on which building?
                                                                                            6. Who was the first resident of Ratra House in the Phoenix Park? (completed in late 19th century).
                                                                                            7. What cure for addiction was released in 1898?
                                                                                            8. What building succeeded the Eiffel tower are the world's tallest structure?
                                                                                            9. What is unique about the Skyscraper "33 Thomas Street" in Manhattan?
                                                                                            10. There are two wrestling disciplines in the Olympics, where did each discipline originate?

Comment

Genuinely can't see what you are saving by such ritualistic packing Laz. You have to plonk all the bags in your kitchen anyway, and it's easy enough to put them into the correct cupboard/fridge from there.
                                                                                              There may be a handful of extra steps involved, but the time lost here will balance out the time you wasted in the shop.
                                                                                              Anyway balanced weight of each bag is more important than having similar items together.

When people walked or traveled further to shops. Staff were supposed to pack frozen/ chilled and ambient items separately to kept them temperature stable, so the choc ices didn't melt on the way home. Same reason why frozen aisle is at the end.
                                                                                              Less of an issue now qith people being a 5 minute spin the car.

Same thing with keeping detergents away from fresh food. Less of an issue that that everything comes in 3 layers of plastic.
                                                                                              Last edited by Mellor; 21-04-20, 06:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                Random Trivia,
                                                                                                1. What was the shortest war in history, and roughly how long did it last?
                                                                                                2. Which US president was the last to kill somebody in a duel?
                                                                                                3. 18th century King of England, George I, was notably unable to do what?
                                                                                                4. During the term of which US president did the White house install it's first computer?
                                                                                                5. The White House is based architecturally on which building?
                                                                                                6. Who was the first resident of Ratra House in the Phoenix Park? (completed in late 19th century).
                                                                                                7. What cure for addiction was released in 1898?
                                                                                                8. What building succeeded the Eiffel tower are the world's tallest structure?
                                                                                                9. What is unique about the Skyscraper "33 Thomas Street" in Manhattan?
                                                                                                10. There are two wrestling disciplines in the Olympics, where did each discipline originate?
                                                                                                That's really hard

Guesses only for most.

SPOILER
                                                                                                1. There was the Six Day War but I think the Soccer War was shorter. No doubt there is a shorter one that was over by lunchtime though.
                                                                                                2. It'll be 19th century....errrr. Madison?
                                                                                                3. No idea. Get an erection?
                                                                                                4. Bleh, Want to say Nixon but will go later. Carter?
                                                                                                5. The Dail!
                                                                                                6. The Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, no don't know name
                                                                                                7. Probably something mad like lobotomy
                                                                                                8. Must be American, Empire State? Or the big one in Chicago
                                                                                                9. No idea, is it the funky Flatiron building?
                                                                                                10. Greek and Roman

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                  When people walked or traveled further to shops. Staff were supposed to pack frozen/ chilled and ambient items separately to kept them temperature stable, so the choc ices didn't melt on the way home. Same reason why frozen aisle is at the end.
                                                                                                  Less of an issue now qith people being a 5 minute spin the car.

Same thing with keeping detergents away from fresh food. Less of an issue that that everything comes in 3 layers of plastic.
                                                                                                  As a child, I remember the fear your mother strikes in you the first time you pack the firelighters alongside the bread.

One of those life lessons you never forget

Comment

The Russian covid curve looks even more scary than the US one.

And obviously they will be lying about the true impact, which will be much worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                      This might have been posted before but I'm posting it again in case it wasn't, as this guy is the communicator we all need.

Why does it not look like that is what he is saying? there are some words that match the lip movements, but loads that don't?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                        The Russian covid curve looks even more scary than the US one.

And obviously they will be lying about the true impact, which will be much worse.
                                                                                                        North Korea is the one I'm most curious about.

Apparently very early on, in late Jan/early Feb there were reports that 200 soldiers had died and their response was to increase food rations.

The government are still denying it within NK with life as apparently "normal" but some rogue lecturers have told crowds that there are cases. Who knows what it might be like.

It might be a real world scenario of what it takes to reach herd immunity.

Comment

Great news Laz and Co. I am sure that was quite a journey for you both. I know it is not all easy getting prepared for the implantation of the embryo, and I am glad all has gone well with the missus. It was one thing that scared me about pregnancy if it didn't happen for me, was all the injections to prepare to harvest the embryos and then the implantation side.

Wishing you all the very best and I hope she is keeping well <3

Comment

Thanks a lot Gretta!!

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                              North Korea is the one I'm most curious about.

Apparently very early on, in late Jan/early Feb there were reports that 200 soldiers had died and their response was to increase food rations.

The government are still denying it within NK with life as apparently "normal" but some rogue lecturers have told crowds that there are cases. Who knows what it might be like.

It might be a real world scenario of what it takes to reach herd immunity.
                                                                                                              Rumours of glorious leader being critically ill

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                Nobody knows why Elvis threw it all away

Donald Trump knew .

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                  Great news Laz and Co. I am sure that was quite a journey for you both. I know it is not all easy getting prepared for the implantation of the embryo, and I am glad all has gone well with the missus. It was one thing that scared me about pregnancy if it didn't happen for me, was all the injections to prepare to harvest the embryos and then the implantation side.

Wishing you all the very best and I hope she is keeping well <3
                                                                                                                  Thanks Gil, yeah it's a tough process. The injections were a nightmare for her, didn't help that the pharmacist only supplied half doses meaning she had twice the amount. Covered in bruises for weeks.

Definitely the last time she's going through it.

Yiz are tough cookies you wimmins

Comment

That's crazy then! That shopping centre is a total kip, it's like something from the third world. I assumed you were shopping in some boutique shopping experience.
                                                                                                                    I think its fine. While its architecture and interior are obviously from a bygone era, it's bright and clean. I find the Tesco there well laid out, well stocked, and there's rarely a queue of more than one person at checkouts. Why don't the German supermarkets do the self checkouts?

Comment

Who made you Mister morale compass.

You were making a snigger out of poor auld Tadhg a few weeks back for a laugh. For all you know the chap could have read that and it can have had a serious affect on him.

I want to play golf. Shouldn't I want that because there's suffering in the world ? is that your logic.

If you want to pick a fight with someone, pick on someone your own size.
                                                                                                                      I wasn't replying to you. I didn't mention golf and I quoted someone else.

Comment

I wasn't replying to you. I didn't mention golf and I quoted someone else.
                                                                                                                        That's exactly why he was calling you out, because you were picking on Michelle and not others.

Comment

Speaking of Lidl I made this the other week for the craic.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X