This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    I find in that scenario the impact of 'I told you so' is far greater when you don't smugly say it, but rather get stuck in with solutions. People know it. Defence mechanisms kick in when you say it though and you become the prick. When you don't mention it but solve it you're the hero.
    I'm not stupid enough to actually say it
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
      No idea if he'd make a good coach to be honest. He'd be relentless and a very hard taskmaster. The guy demands more of himself and everyone else on that court. Would definitely love to see him try.
      Yeah his track record is not one you'd associate with development.

He never gave poor Kwame Brown a chance. Jordan drafts him straight out of high school with the first pick in the draft.
      He turns out to be a very sensitive guy(only 18 after all). Jordan comes out of retirement to play alongside him, guide him as face of the franchise etc.
      Apparently he can't handle Brown's attitude and ends up crushing the guy completely, one of bigger draft busts.

OJ Mayo(think he went 5th or so one year) challenged Jordan to a 1 on 1 at a Jordan camp when he was 17.
      Mayo was regarded as the top ranked HS player in the US at the time.
      Jordan was 43 or so, again completely destroyed him 1 on 1. Another guy who never lived up to his hype.

Not sure I can wait till the weekend now.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        I'm not stupid enough to actually say it
        there is an art to subtlety turning the conversation in the direction until you arrive at the point someone else says it
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
          there is an art to subtlety turning the conversation in the direction until you arrive at the point someone else says it
          That has already happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
            Yeah his track record is not one you'd associate with development.

He never gave poor Kwame Brown a chance. Jordan drafts him straight out of high school with the first pick in the draft.
            He turns out to be a very sensitive guy(only 18 after all). Jordan comes out of retirement to play alongside him, guide him as face of the franchise etc.
            Apparently he can't handle Brown's attitude and ends up crushing the guy completely, one of bigger draft busts.

OJ Mayo(think he went 5th or so one year) challenged Jordan to a 1 on 1 at a Jordan camp when he was 17.
            Mayo was regarded as the top ranked HS player in the US at the time.
            Jordan was 43 or so, again completely destroyed him 1 on 1. Another guy who never lived up to his hype.

Not sure I can wait till the weekend now.
            sadly quality isn't great for the new ones so maybe hold off until they air on netflix. There is a permanent watermark in the middle of the screen (PROPERTY OF ESPN FILMS), and a permanent clock up to hundredth of a second counting up, then another one flashes up at the bottom. was watching the third and gave up half way. checked the 4th and same issue.

Personally, i'll wait for netflix

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
              And it doesn't invalidate the point if WHO are discovered to have done something that maybe wasn't optimal. In an uncertain environment people make probabilistic judgements, as you know. They don't have the ability to make decisions with perfect knowledge of whether it will turn out to be the best decision with hindsight.
              My whole point is that they suck at probabilistic thinking and dealing with uncertainty. It's not like we're looking back and saying with hindsight their decisions weren't optimal. People who deal with risk looked at the same situation and came to completely different conclusions. Taleb published a paper around the same time. The trading thread on 2p2 was forecasting a pandemic.

Remember when we all laughed at that study published in the FT saying half the population in the UK could have COVID under their model. It didn't matter that they were experts in epidemiology from Oxford, anyone with half a rational brain could see that was silly.

Anyone that understands risk and payoffs treated this completely differently to WHO. Every time they were making advice under uncertainty they got it wrong. Against restrictions, against mask, against domestic or international travel restrictions, against any health measures for travellers. Back when China was dealing with an outbreak, the WHO said there was no evidence of human transmission. When the risk of overreacting too early was low vs the risk of a global pandemic, they repeatedly went on the underreact side. They passed on buying cheap puts for the world.

You're treating "the experts from the WHO said there's no evidence" as far more meaningful than it is. They're not talking about ebola, they're talking about a novel situation with unknown information. They get this wrong repeatedly. They've taken false data from China as face value. They're a weak international organisation that can't step on anyone's toes or independently verify data. So you're giving far too much weight to what that press release actually means.

Comment

Retail investors sure hate money. I was telling people on boards not to invest in oil and there's still people doing it anyway.

Robintrack keeps track of how many Robinhood users hold a particular stock over time. It generates charts showing the relationship between price and popularity, and compiles some lists using the data.

Holding an oil ETF is really expensive. Unless Trump ignites a war with Iran, or blows up the SPR, there's basically no way for any of those buyers to make money.

Comment

This is released today. Waiting all week for it.

Gangs of London is drama that delves into the underbelly of London’s modern-day criminal underworld.
                  Her sky-ness
                  © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                    My whole point is that they suck at probabilistic thinking and dealing with uncertainty. It's not like we're looking back and saying with hindsight their decisions weren't optimal. People who deal with risk looked at the same situation and came to completely different conclusions. Taleb published a paper around the same time. The trading thread on 2p2 was forecasting a pandemic.

Remember when we all laughed at that study published in the FT saying half the population in the UK could have COVID under their model. It didn't matter that they were experts in epidemiology from Oxford, anyone with half a rational brain could see that was silly.

Anyone that understands risk and payoffs treated this completely differently to WHO. Every time they were making advice under uncertainty they got it wrong. Against restrictions, against mask, against domestic or international travel restrictions, against any health measures for travellers. Back when China was dealing with an outbreak, the WHO said there was no evidence of human transmission. When the risk of overreacting too early was low vs the risk of a global pandemic, they repeatedly went on the underreact side. They passed on buying cheap puts for the world.

You're treating "the experts from the WHO said there's no evidence" as far more meaningful than it is. They're not talking about ebola, they're talking about a novel situation with unknown information. They get this wrong repeatedly. They've taken false data from China as face value. They're a weak international organisation that can't step on anyone's toes or independently verify data. So you're giving far too much weight to what that press release actually means.
                    That is one of the more glaring examples of a false equivalence I've read.

How can you think that the probabilistic approach taken by Taleb/2+2 posters can be remotely similar to that employed by WHO.

There is quite literally zero downside if Taleb is wrong but there are tangible impacts for WHO if they divert resources to a low probability event, no matter the "tail risk" of the event.

Diverting resources in order to purchase cheap puts likely leads to a loss of life.
                    When WHO gets it wrong, people die, when Taleb gets it wrong, he has new content for his next iteration of the same book.

Comment

Hello BBV, long time no see.

I've started recording a few podcast interviews, the latest is with Jesse May which may be of some interest to people here. Some good poker stories from Vegas, Foxwoods and Atlantic City in the 80s/90s and plenty of talk about gambling culture. We also talk about the early TV poker days (Late Night Poker, Poker Million), working in an Israeli kibbutz and the current betting markets for US politics.
                      I assume mods are okay with me posting link (apologies if not, and feel free to remove). Happy to hear any feedback.

Legendary poker commentator Jesse May talks all things poker and gambling. We discuss Jesse's start in gambling, his early trips to Las Vegas in the 1980s, b...
                      Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

How can you think that the probabilistic approach taken by Taleb/2+2 posters can be remotely similar to that employed by WHO.

There is quite literally zero downside if Taleb is wrong but there are tangible impacts for WHO if they divert resources to a low probability event, no matter the "tail risk" of the event.
                        Hehe, Taleb doesn't have skin in the game post. Like it.

Comment

That is one of the more glaring examples of a false equivalence I've read.

Diverting resources in order to purchase cheap puts likely leads to a loss of life.
                          When WHO gets it wrong, people die, when Taleb gets it wrong, he has new content for his next iteration of the same book.
                          Think you've misunderstood my post.

How do you come to that conclusion?

Comment

How do you come to that conclusion?
                            How did you conclude that the puts are cheap? What constitutes a cheap put?

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 23-04-20, 13:18.
                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

How did you conclude that the puts are cheap? What constitutes a cheap put?
                                  It's millions v trillions.

The costs were, advising travel restrictions, advising people to wear masks, health checks on travellers. The pay off was preventing an international pandemic, saving trillions of dollars and millions of lives effected.

It's not false equivalence. It's literally the same principal. Asymmetrical pay off. WHO looked at the info and said we're not sure, so advised against any action. Wehn the cost of action was small, and the payoffs gigantic.

If anything traders have more skin in the game, WHO is focused on reputation, traders lose money.

Let me first discount Taleb as someone who has no skin in the game
                                  He still trades himself. And Nassim Taleb-Advised Universa Tail Fund Returned 3,600% in March

described in your Fox News link. Yet you've reposted it again here that they advised against masks.
                                  That's how it was described in all the media outlets. BBC, Guadian etc. That link was just one I happened to grab when I googled it.

You also talk a bit about WHO saying there is no evidence on something, as if you don't understand that at one point in time there can be no evidence of something and then later there might be evidence of something. Saying there is no evidence of something is the right thing to say in the former situation when there is ... no evidence of something.
                                  Have you forgotten what sparked this off? I said you shouldn't be getting excited "because the experts at the WHO said there's no evidence". Seems like you're agreeing now.
                                  Last edited by Denny Crane; 23-04-20, 13:42.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Having a greatest Try WhatsApp thread. Some great trys . My fav was Shane Horgan against England . Emotional .

Comment

Big phones are very unmanly, getting harder to find ones with good pocketability
                                          Someone in office was showing off their new Samsung S20 ultra the other day , looks ridiculous .

Comment

It's millions v trillions.

The costs were, advising travel restrictions, advising people to wear masks, health checks on travellers. The pay off was preventing an international pandemic, saving trillions of dollars and millions of lives effected.
                                            The problem in your millions versus trillions argument is that based on the probability of the event, if similar logic was applied to every event of a similar probability, the summed cost may have exceeded that which has occurred now.

It's not false equivalence. It's literally the same principal. Asymmetrical pay off. WHO looked at the info and said we're not sure, so advised against any action. Wehn the cost of action was small, and the payoffs gigantic.
                                            You have equated Taleb & 2+2 traders predictions as evidence that the event was predictable for WHO and their inability to predict & subsequently act was a simple failure on their part.

Even if WHO & Taleb reached the same conclusion, their choices are still vastly different. WHO may well have predicted the probability of this event the way in which Taleb did.

However WHO cannot respond in the manner Taleb has done, there are far more variables at play. By presenting Taleb/2+2 traders as examples of the event's capacity to be predicted you're setting up a simplistic comparison which does not add weight to your argument.

It's an oversimplification and in turn leads to a false equivalence.

Comment

Once again there's the misunderstanding about how to judge probabilities.

One was a judgement on a moving event (transmission), so 'no evidence' is clearly a point-in-time statement. The other was a statement about a specific historical event that has finished, so is intended as a static statement of fact.

Unless you are actually looking to make a point, this should be fairly obvious!
                                              Are you tolling now?
                                              Finished? The haven't even had a proper investigation? China blocked access for weeks. Even if it did originate in a lab, how likely do you think it is that the WHO would find the hard evidence? ANd how hard do you think they're working on it when they've restricted access and don't want to cause tension with China?

I remember the UN initially saying that there was no evidence of Russian involvement in the Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 crash. That was a specific historical event.

Anyway I think we've both spent enough time on this.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                Big phones are very unmanly, getting harder to find ones with good pocketability
                                                Someone in office was showing off their new Samsung S20 ultra the other day , looks ridiculous .
                                                Let me guess, the new Apple SE phone is a perfect size?

Comment

Are there any words sweeter in the English language than 'I told you so'?

Fully enjoying my moment here when something I warned would be a fuckup if they didn't implement it my way three months back has indeed turned out to be an unmitigated fuckup, as duly predicted.

There has to be a relation to schadenfreude for this smug feeling.
                                                  I find in that scenario the impact of 'I told you so' is far greater when you don't smugly say it, but rather get stuck in with solutions. People know it. Defence mechanisms kick in when you say it though and you become the prick. When you don't mention it but solve it you're the hero.
                                                  Once or twice a year for ten years We have been explaining to another team why they need us to replace a value they are using with a different one and its going to bite if you don't yada yada... It's just one byte, take it you are going to need it but no there is always some way to work around it so not now...
                                                  Have lost more or less the whole week trying to find a way to dig out of the ten year deep hole created, one feckin byte. No schadenfreude because the shit always comes rolling downhill and my place is at the bottom of the hill with a bucket
                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

If anything traders have more skin in the game, WHO is focused on reputation, traders lose money.
                                                    At this point I lol'd heartily

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                      Let me guess, the new Apple SE phone is a perfect size?
                                                      Now that you mention it, it is a perfect size
                                                      Se getting rave reviews everywhere for value for money btw

But Apple are equally as guilty of supersizing with their high end phones, it’s out of control now
                                                      It’s fine for women with their handbags

Comment

Note to self.
                                                        If Denny and I ever agree on anything
                                                        I'll immediately reverse my position.

Comment

Comment

The Taleb fund is a smart idea by the way. But it acts as a constant protection against catastrophic risk. It's not that Taleb did something specific for this particular outbreak - that was just an event that occurred that triggered the ongoing position to payoff, like insurance. Which makes sense as his whole point is about the unexpected nature of these events.
                                                            Whoever owes him money should tell him they're not paying because COVID-19 wasn't specifically mentioned in the small print.

Comment

for those waiting for Ryanair refunds. Just got my voucher after 3 weeks. Still waiting for Aer lingus one though

Comment

Comment

Comment

Green Party demands for entering government - which seems like it is going to happen. A few are debatable, a few are impractical, but not a bad overall set of ideas.

1. Will you commit to an average annual reduction in greenhouse gas emissions of at least 7 per cent?
                                                                    2. Will you commit to an ambitious programme of development of, and investment where necessary in, renewable energy infrastructure including off-shore wind, grid and interconnector upgrades and community energy projects?
                                                                    3. Will you commit to ending the issue of exploration licences for offshore gas exploration?
                                                                    4. Will you commit to ceasing the construction of new fossil fuel infrastructure, particularly LNG import terminals that could allow the entry of unconventional liquefied natural gas into the Irish energy mix?
                                                                    5. Will you commit to the exclusive provision of public housing, social housing and cost rental housing on public lands?
                                                                    6. Will you commit to prioritising urban renewal in line with a 'Town Centre First' model?
                                                                    7. Will you commit to a comprehensive deep retrofit programme as part of a programme for government?
                                                                    8. Will you commit to convening a social dialogue process representative of all key stakeholders with a view to developing of a new social contract?
                                                                    9. Will you commit to working towards ending the Direct Provision system and replacing it with a not-for-profit system based on accommodation provided through existing or new approved housing bodies?
                                                                    10. Will you commit to setting us on a clear and certain path to meeting our UN obligation to spend 0.7pc of our national income on Overseas Development Aid?
                                                                    11. Will you commit to the development of a national land use plan which will inform both the new national economic plan and the new social contract?
                                                                    12. Will you commit to rebalancing our transport infrastructure spend, dedicating at least 20pc of infrastructure expenditure in transport to cycling and walking and ensuring that other public transport infrastructure investment is allocated at least two-thirds of the remaining infrastructure budget?
                                                                    13. Will you commit to establishing a trial of Universal Basic Income (UBI) within the lifetime of the next Government?
                                                                    14. Will you commit to the revision of the existing National Development Plan so that we can meet our New Social Contract goals and climate change targets?
                                                                    15. Will you commit to a review of the State's response to the Covid-19 pandemic, undertaken by the Oireachtas, to enable us to learn lessons for the future?
                                                                    16. Will you provide a clear and detailed analysis of how your Joint Framework Document is to be financed?
                                                                    17. Will you commit to publishing and implementing a Green Procurement Policy?
                                                                    This is pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                      for those waiting for Ryanair refunds. Just got my voucher after 3 weeks. Still waiting for Aer lingus one though
                                                                      I applied roughly 3 weeks ago. My problem is I used vouchers to pay for mine. Wonder what way that will work also did they just email you the vouchers,? And have they an expiry date.
                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Comment

Why are they still called phones ?

Comment

There's a massive problem with the WHO definition of "no evidence". It can mean anything from "there is good evidence but not conclusive" to "this is total nonsense" and anything in between. They manipulate this vagueness depending on the goal of the messaging.
                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I had over €800 of flights to and from LCY booked with AL and they were still scheduled to fly with a small change in time but then I noticed that they were using the same flight number but had switched to Heathrow.
                                                                              Rang them and once I pointed out the change of airport I got cash back no problem .

Looks like the process to get cash back off Ryanair involves more than €500 of time, stress and hassle. We'll see nothing he's ever done has hurt him before but thie way they have engineered this seems like a case of 'Too clever is dumb'.

Comment

I always thought 'no evidence' when uttered by scientists was science speak for 'probable but yet unproven'.
                                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                                                    Note to self.
                                                                                    If Denny and I ever agree on anything
                                                                                    I'll immediately reverse my position.
                                                                                    I did use to work with a guy who was a very smart dude. We would all listen in awe as he would argue both sides of an issue - with himself, out loud.

Invariably arrived at the right decision too, but the process was a joy to behold. Especially when he would curse himself.

Comment

Some of you may be glad to know I've picked up a calf injury and am now forced into temporarily giving up the super spreading.

Comment

...

Comment

Seems like travellers are free to flout social distancing and travel guidelines as they see fit

Comment

Some of you may be glad to know I've picked up a calf injury and am now forced into temporary giving up the super spreading guitar party wankerism.
                                                                                            .

Fully right do you think youd do HJ in a 800m race?. Or what about a catch weight 900m race?.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                              Seems like travellers are free to flout social distancing and travel guidelines as they see fit
                                                                                              Ethnic minority sure. Untouchable

Comment

Some of you may be glad to know I've picked up a calf injury and am now forced into temporarily giving up the super spreading.
                                                                                                What's the recovery timeline ? Took me 3 weeks . Just back now .

Comment

WHO didn’t look too hard, Chinese have form for messing, some reckless cunts all the same
                                                                                                  Exploring in a laboratory what's dreaded in nature, a team of Chinese scientists have combined H5N1 avian influenza, which is highly lethal but doesn't transmit easily between people, with the pandemic 2009 flu strain.

Chinese Scientists Create New Mutant Bird-Flu Virus
                                                                                                  The experiments, described May 2 in Science, reflect a controversial approach to studying influenza: attempting to create strains in a lab that would, if accidentally released or used for nefarious purposes, pose a potentially global health threat.
                                                                                                  Last edited by Guest; 23-04-20, 15:09.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                                                    .

Fully right do you think youd do HJ in a 800m race?. Or what about a catch weight 900m race?.
                                                                                                    Haha, I dunno, maybe we can do a virtual race some day.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                      What's the recovery timeline ? Took me 3 weeks . Just back now .
                                                                                                      Google says about the same Willie.

Just hope I don't drop too much fitness.

Comment

...

Comment

I did use to work with a guy who was a very smart dude. We would all listen in awe as he would argue both sides of an issue - with himself, out loud.

Invariably arrived at the right decision too, but the process was a joy to behold. Especially when he would curse himself.
                                                                                                          Jordan Peterson recommends that.

What are people's experience of football not being on? Every FA Cup or International weekend nonsense was a pain, but now after this amount of weeks I really couldn't care less.

Comment

Haha, I dunno, maybe we can do a virtual race some day.
                                                                                                            Thats a good idea. Maybe run that 800M distance around a a local soccer or gaa pitch each incl corner flags at the same day and time with a tracker and post your times?. Around a pitch means at least the ground will be level enough at least.
                                                                                                            It might be 2022 to get HJ legitimately out to compete in good conscience as you know he likes to be in compliance.

Comment

the curve starts to flatten here
                                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Thats a good idea. Maybe run that 800M distance around a a local soccer or gaa pitch each incl corner flags at the same day and time with a tracker and post your times?. Around a pitch means at least the ground will be level enough at least.
                                                                                                                It might be 2022 to get HJ legitimately out to compete in good conscience as you know he likes to be in compliance.
                                                                                                                That's a great idea. I need a bit of motivation to get out running again.

We should set a date, maybe in two months? Loser has to give 25 euros to charity and 25 euros worth of craft beer to the winner.

Comment

I'll be on for that.

Funny, it was doing some 800m reps last Saturday where I tore the calf.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                                    Good thought you might like it. I have my thoughts on this head to head but will only preview the race once its on and shortly before.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

We should set a date, maybe in two months? Loser has to give 25 euros to charity and 25 euros worth of craft beer to the winner.
                                                                                                                      Yeah let's do it

Comment

Yeah let's do it
                                                                                                                        Right it's booked. 23rd of June! I must warn you I was by far the best 800m runner in my area when I was 15.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                                          Jordan Peterson recommends that.

What are people's experience of football not being on? Every FA Cup or International weekend nonsense was a pain, but now after this amount of weeks I really couldn't care less.
                                                                                                                          Strangely enough I haven't missed it one bit. I've missed the GAA more but that's cos I go to all the Kerry games and still play (albeit at low Junior level). I miss the training more than playing games tbh.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X