Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So if you are Garmin do you pay out a meagre $10M dollars to unlock the ransomware they were 'unfortunate' to get onto their network or do do risk being offline for maybe weeks?
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        Fiction bestseller lists have been absolutely ruined by the rise of chicklit. I realise that women are apparently by far the main buyers of fiction these days, and that in the olden days the fiction bestseller lists were probably absolutely ruined by actionlit. But still though. Every single fiction must-read list is just full of endless books about feelings. Is there anywhere where you could maybe filter recommendations by gender? There seems to be loads of 'ladies get a hold of these gems' lists and websites, but nothing equivalent for men. I do like my night-time fiction reading to be largely action, intrigue, bullshit, macho, fantastical.
        ​
        Wilbur Smith is your man then - anything by him if you haven't found him you're welcome

Comment

Fiction bestseller lists have been absolutely ruined by the rise of chicklit. I realise that women are apparently by far the main buyers of fiction these days, and that in the olden days the fiction bestseller lists were probably absolutely ruined by actionlit. But still though. Every single fiction must-read list is just full of endless books about feelings. Is there anywhere where you could maybe filter recommendations by gender? There seems to be loads of 'ladies get a hold of these gems' lists and websites, but nothing equivalent for men. I do like my night-time fiction reading to be largely action, intrigue, bullshit, macho, fantastical.
          ​
          Check out Terminal list series by Jack Carr. Former navy seal. I haven'r read it yet, but the blurb suggest it would tick a lot of the macho action boxes for you.

Comment

Comment

​
              I was fairly heartened yesterday when I called around to visit the mother and she had a copy of A Gentleman in Moscow open, instead of the usual Marion Keyes or other drivel.

There's hope for that generation yet.
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

They now have online reservations at the barbershop. It's like the best pandemic ever providing you and your loved ones can avoid the killer virus at the heart of the pandemic.

Our landlord letting agency - one of the largest agencies in France just to emphasise the scale of the problem - a few months ago also decided that they would accept bank transfers instead of monthly checks for the rent.
                What are you guys doing about quarantine when you get here?

Just stay in the new gaff, order deliveries and watch a lot of tv I guess.
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I had a rule for a long time that I would not let myself get drawn on religion as a conversational topic with anyone as it inevitably went south. Then Saturday rolled on by and a friend of my wife's went full bore on why we hadn't baptised Mini-Roo. Tried to dead bat it until he called me selfish for imposing my views on my child.

Not entirely sure who MsKay will speak to first, me or her friend. I'm currently betting its the friend.
                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                      Lord Whackington has provided us with several unexpected perspectives in the last while.

I think he should give Rastafarianism a spin too for the sacred herb angle.
                      A gem of unexpected perspective. Buddhist advertising campaign. Meditation - Giving people a reason to sit around and do nothing for two and a half millennia. Your welcome.

Comment

lols thats a new tack - to be imposing a view by not imposing a religious view. I shudder to think how many argumentative alarm bells went off when that perspective was put forward.
                        I've never had occasion to use the expression "spittle-flecked" but Saturday came darn close.

Comment

Comment

I was fairly heartened yesterday when I called around to visit the mother and she had a copy of A Gentleman in Moscow open, instead of the usual Marion Keyes or other drivel.

There's hope for that generation yet.
                            Conspicuously open?

Comment

Been a while since the ol ISIS went on a western Big City rampage . Covid 19 scaring the suicide bombers away. Cant be catching that , it could kill you.

Comment

Comment

lols thats a new tack - to be imposing a view by not imposing a religious view. I shudder to think how many argumentative alarm bells went off when that perspective was put forward.
                                  It's twisted, but that's a common argument put forward. I had it said to me on here before.

An analogy I always use is Badminton.

It's like a badminton fan and regular player calling me selfish for not getting my kids into badminton when badminton doesn't feature in my life.

Forcing my non interest in badminton onto my kids.

It's bizarre.
                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Kids are atheist until someone forces god onto them.

Comment

Comment

Would love to hear a blow by blow account of the argument Kayroo if you've time.

Comment

I do like my night-time fiction reading to be largely action, intrigue, bullshit, macho, fantastical.
                                          ​
                                          Little-known Christopher Brookmyre might fit the bill - it's 'tartan noir' but very cleverly written.
                                          "This is Glesca.... Any time you're confused, take a wee minute to remind yourself of that inescapable fact: this is Glesca. We don't do subtle, we don't do nuanced, we don't do conspiracy. We do pish-heid bampot bludgeoning his girlfriend to death in a fit of paranoid rage induced by forty-eight hours straight on the batter. We do coked-up neds jumping on a guy's heid outside a nightclub because he looked at them funny. We do drug-dealing gangster rockets shooting other drug-dealing gangster rockets as comeback for something almost identical a fortnight ago. We do bam-on-bam. We do tit-for-tat, score-settling, feuds, jealousy, petty revenge. We do straightforward. We do obvious. We do cannaemisswhodunit. When you hear hoofbeats on Sauchiehall Street, it's gaunny be a horse, no' a zebra...'"

Comment

Comment

What happens for religion class in the eldest school? Are you educate together type of deal? I was looking up the regular local primary school in Dublin and I swear it mentioned the word 'Catholic' 20 times on the first page of the school description before a bit later saying they don't take religion into account on admissions. Seemed a bit of a shitty way of doing it. It's not like its a school of choice, that parents can choose between that and another, its the actual local primary school with everything paid for by the state.
                                              We have her in the local national school. I remember being bull headed in here a few years ago about it, saying I would absolutely not be enrolling her into it. I realised closer to the day though that it was a little selfish of me. The local school is 5 minutes walk away, all of her little pals were going there. Enrolling her in my preferred school would have meant a huge logistical headache, for my wife mostly.

I researched it a lot and realised my fears of virgin marys on every wall were unfounded. Catholicism is there alright, but only in small subtle ways. There's no morning prayers or anything, and her class is a good mix of different kids from different backgrounds.

The whole communion thing might be tricky but we'll get through that, she's a smart kid.

On a technicality I wouldn't say atheist is the right word for a kid, more oblivious.
                                              I guess so. It's a strange word really, a word to describe an absence of something.

Comment

Comment

The "so youre telling me there's a chance" post was meant to be in response to HH's return to Dublin post and odds of catching the virus in case anyone was wondering at the randomness of it.

Having trouble linking and editing.

Comment

Is there not an actual religion class though?
                                                    Not in junior infants anyway. Haven't seen the corriculum yet for next year. We never got a chance to go to a parent teacher meeting yet, my plan is to talk about it at that.

Comment

​
                                                      The whole Aisling phenomenon was mad. Imagine reading a series of books about the most boring person imaginable.

3oeOr69wMIY

What's the difference between going out and going 'out out'? Authors of 'Oh My God, What a Complete Aisling' Sarah Breen and Emer McLysaght talk Aislings! Wa...
                                                      Last edited by Denny Crane; 27-07-20, 12:05.

Comment

Comment

My sisters were mad into this faith healer type fellow (who could also see our deceased parents and other relatives apparently) He is (this may not still be the case) married to my cousin.
                                                          He also have advice on diet despite having no credentials.(managed to win 1 of my sisters over with a solid debunk on this)

Everything he said was taken as fact, any improvement minor or otherwise in condition of ailment was his work etc.

Any view other than total agreement with his powers was met with stiff resistance and borderline hostility.
                                                          Presume this is cognitive dissonance at work here.

I wasnt too surprised to learn he fucked off to Africa to help heal the locals in some fashion. Just got it into his head that he was needed there, leaving his wife and children behind (not with their approval)

Even the sisters were embarrassed by that.

I do take some amount of enjoyment from asking my sisters "oh hows thingy getting on in Africa, healing away I take it"

Last edited by dinekes; 27-07-20, 12:11.

Comment

Looking at my pension contribution breakdown online now, what are "SP/Transfer value" and "Risk", what is contributing them and why?

Comment

Are you sure its actually a catholic school??! From looking up here (page 31), there's meant to be 91.5 hours of Catholic religious teaching in both junior and senior infants.
                                                              It's definitely under catholic patronage.

Just asked her there.

I said 'Hey, in your school do they ever talk about a guy called Jesus?'

'yeah'

'what do they say?'

'That christmas is his birthday'

'anything else?'

'No, that's all I know'

Good girl

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

It's definitely under catholic patronage.

Just asked her there.

I said 'Hey, in your school do they ever talk about a guy called Jesus?'

'yeah'

'what do they say?'

'That christmas is his birthday'

'anything else?'

'No, that's all I know'

Good girl
                                                                Very very good girl. Mature beyond her years. Ignorance is absolute bliss imo, when the Catholic church is involved. I know I know I'm biased before anyone reacts.

Comment

Originally posted by limpwhacker View Post

Very very good girl. Mature beyond her years. Ignorance is absolute bliss imo, when the Catholic church is involved. I know I know I'm biased before anyone reacts.
                                                                  I’d just go ahead and extend that to all religion.

Comment

I decided to use the Catholic Church and got both my lads baptised on the same day. They can now take part in all the fun rituals . For my Sr infants kid, I don’t really mind what they teach him on religion in school as it won’t involve human sacrifices and the like. I also answer him with their teachings in mind when he asks questions. However I will deny the existence of hell and the like. As he gets older I will engage him further with my own beliefs and ask him what he thinks/believes . He was very disappointed his Harry Potter wand didn’t turn on the TV the other day so I had to explain how tough it is to master magic . I stupidly told him he was already a competent wizard child. He told his Nanna yesterday that Trump is a bad man who only likes money. So he listens well enough. Religion in itself is not a bad thing , It’s when people use it as a tool for hatred and fear it becomes a problem. I’ll be watching for that. In the meantime, the tooth fairy is on the way again tonight and Santa is working away up north (it’s grim). All part of the fantasy that we use to keep our kids excited, included
                                                                    Last edited by Solksjaer!; 27-07-20, 13:10.

Comment

https://www.growinlove.ie/en/growinlove/

Thats on of the books on our lots list for Junior Infants

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

It's too long to set out blow by blow Laz but it was fair to say I put my case in a full-throated manner.

My basic premise was that I had no issue with anyone believing in fairy stories but they shouldn't require my children to believe in them. To paraphrase Hitchens, they can have their toy, just don't ask me to play with it.

Comment

Is there anything to be said for saying another mass?
                                                                                Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

I know its wrong to laugh at page 4, and the presence of the toaster on page 3.

http://www.growinlove.ie/wp-content/...l_sample-1.pdf

Think Mary was surprised and Joseph was angry. (Discovering she was pregnant)
                                                                                  Last edited by dinekes; 27-07-20, 14:41.

Comment

Lord Whackington has provided us with several unexpected perspectives in the last while.

I think he should give Rastafarianism a spin too for the sacred herb angle.
                                                                                    C'est moi

Comment

Originally posted by limpwhacker View Post

C'est moi
                                                                                      15958612238212726818608545517701.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Think Mary was surprised and Joseph was angry. (Discovering she was pregnant)
                                                                                        Would you blame Joseph FFS lumbered with a sprog, no gaff to get the head down in and didn't even get the ride. I'd be angry too if I was Joseph.

Comment

Just apropos the discussion on schools some of you may remember around the start of the year I sought advice on sending HiFi jr. to school in Sept (sorry, I can't find the original post to quote).

Well we got decided soon after that we would definitely send him and luckily got him into the local Educate Together National School despite being well down the waiting list initially.

Indeed, he got offers from several ETNS' from adjacent areas and it turns out there is loads of jostling for position (which we engaged in too - putting your name down for every school within a wide radius including a few we definitely didn't want, just as insurance) but when the dust settled it seems we needn't have been unduly worried.

Anyway, very happy to have successfully dodged both the holy joes inside and the pyjamas and fags brigade out side the local catholic national school plus the ENTS is only short drive away en route to Mrs HifFi's work and the child minder will pick him for his afternoon stint with her.

Couldn't have worked out better and he's counting down the days to get back so everyone's a winner.

Comment

Didn't get my lad baptised either. He can make his own mind up, lol religion.

Comment

Told my daughter they literally believe they're eating a man's body and drinking his blood and that was enough for her to think they were all a bunch of weirdos.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                Told my daughter they literally believe they're eating a man's body and drinking his blood and that was enough for her to think they were all a bunch of weirdos.
                                                                                                I questioned this when I was about 7 and the priest said . Its symbolic . Seems odd people take it literally . Not defending the CC but come on if you were told it was anything different no wonder you went into science class looking for answers .
                                                                                                Similar the Adam and Eve story was just a story . The bible is basically a storybook to base a good life upon. They knew how to handle wimmin back then though . Not allowed at stonings unless wearing a false beard.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I questioned this when I was about 7 and the priest said . Its symbolic . Seems odd people take it literally .
                                                                                                  Your priest was a Protestant? Cause Catholics take it literally. That's almost the central theme of Catholicism.

The bible is basically a storybook to base a good life upon.
                                                                                                  It's a horror show of a book that no sane person could base a good life upon. Nobody takes their morality from the Bible. You'd be better off basing your morality on the Hunger Games.

Comment

As Kayroo says it's exactly the USP of Catholicism.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

Your priest was a Protestant? Cause Catholics take it literally. That's almost the central theme of Catholicism.

It's a horror show of a book that no sane person could base a good life upon. Nobody takes their morality from the Bible. You'd be better off basing your morality on the Hunger Games.
                                                                                                      Naw not in our school . Symbolism we were told.
                                                                                                      ​no need to bring up the famine there.

Comment

Naw not in our school . Symbolism we were told.
                                                                                                        ​no need to bring up the famine there.
                                                                                                        You went to a Protestant school so. I never knew you were posh.

Comment

You went to a Protestant school so. I never knew you were posh.
                                                                                                          Nope .Catholic School . NUNS NUNS PP. Fr Sheen laughed at my Cain and Able questions also. I was very much the this is bull type so he tempered it a bit for me , then I'd take it home and my mudder would hit the roof . Not 1 kid I went to school with thought of it as actual body and blood . I think ye lot were taught literally by the book by some culchie who heard his calling listening to the wireless through the walls

No need for THe P word Kayroo I could get shot for that.

Comment

Apart from the bolded being quite obviously wrong I think it also belies a strange ahistorical and acultural perspective on ethics in the Western world. Your ethics is very much influenced by the Bible whether you know it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Apart from the bolded being quite obviously wrong I think it also belies a strange ahistorical and acultural perspective on ethics in the Western world. Your ethics is very much influenced by the Bible whether you know it or not.
                                                                                                              That's gotta hurt Kayroo of all people.

Comment

Biblical ethics have always been reflective of the culture in which they were being preached. It was a useless mirror used to justify cultural norms already in place or which developed around the Abrahamic faiths. People bring their ethical ideas to the Bible and find justification for them, not the other way around. It's the wisdom of the Iron Age. Christian scholars like to conceptualise intentionality in the commission of crimes as being traceable to the Genesis story, but that's a justification that they came up with after the concept had been developed. It is the role of religion to claim ownership and provenance of morality despite their eternal morality being as changeable as the weather.

Tell me how the ethics of Socrates, Aristotle, Plato, Arristipus, Epicurus, the Stoics, the Cynics were influenced by the Bible. The central ethical tenet in christianity, "do unto others as you would have done unto you" is found in almost all cultures. Nobody needed to tell Moses and the Israelites not to kill each other, commit perjury and not to steal from one another. The fifth, seventh and eighth commandments were perfectly well known to civilised men before Moses deigned to etch them in stone and pretend God told him.

These ethical principles exist without the need for an invisible friend or a book that teaches slavery is a right, that murdering the Amalekites is a command from God or any of the thousands of other passages that are abhorrent to modern eyes. When someone goes to the Bible for their morality they don't find it in the book. They bring it to the book and then find a way to justify it back to themselves.

So when I say nobody takes their morality from the Bible I mean, quite clearly, that modern morality is divorced from that book as much as modern understanding of medicine, the weather or the origins of the universe are divorced from it.

Comment

Kayroo making a claim like that is like a semi-decent poker player taking a weird line in a big pot. He knows he is going to get looked up, so wouldn't do it without a lengthy response planned!

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Kayroo making a claim like that is like a semi-decent poker player taking a weird line in a big pot. He knows he is going to get looked up, so wouldn't do it without a lengthy response planned!
                                                                                                                      Even in a metaphor you won’t call me more than semi decent at poker. Which is fair.

Comment

Hey folks, hope you all keeping well, unfortunately havent been on here much recently.

I have a vague recollection of having a bet here with someone on Arsenal to finish ahead of Spurs

Comment

Patiently waiting for the diagrams in the government’s back to school plan to go viral
                                                                                                                          mentalists

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X