This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I don't get it. They built homes that haven't yet been filled. So prices will need to fall a bit. A bit like Ireland after 2008, when 15% of our housing was vacant. Except its a much smaller percentage in China. We recovered grand, and they are growing far faster than us, so will have pent-up demand from an emerging middle class. Its all smokes and mirrors.
    Some 70% of household wealth in China is tied up in property, far more than in the US, making it one of the most sensitive political issues for the Communist Party.

“Chinese homebuyers usually pool the whole family’s resources to buy a home,” said Alfred Wu, an associate professor at the National University of Singapore’s Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy. “It is a life-and-death matter for them if their homes become negative assets.”

For months Xi has stood firm in reining in over-leveraged Chinese developers, spurring a record wave of defaults that spooked global investors and brought at least 24 leading property companies to the brink of collapse. In the process, more than $80 billion has been wiped from its offshore bond market.

Plenty more juicy details here:

Comment

. We recovered grand, and they are growing far faster than us, so will have pent-up demand from an emerging middle class. Its all smokes and mirrors.
      Yeah, the 2008 financial crisis...just a hiccup. Who remembers that

Comment

Theres a girl in Teddy's in Dun Laoghaire, that I've met there a few times, and she just has the weirdest vibe about her. Like great, but I don't know what its all about. She's there handing out hundreds of cones a day, so must be bored out of her tree, but then whenever you go to her she breaks into an amazing smile, listens to you ordering an order she has already forked over 20 times in the last 20 minutes as if you are making the most phenomenal choice, then pulls the cone with this look of contentness as if she has been waiting all day just to do this for you. Then she hands it over with a concluding dazzling look of: well that was quite an experience we both had wasn't it. I'm just blown away by it.
        The fact you have gone for what sounds like a significant number of icecreams suggests it works

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Some 70% of household wealth in China is tied up in property, far more than in the US, making it one of the most sensitive political issues for the Communist Party.
          Housing is also about 70% of household wealth (pg24) also in, for example, Poland and Hungary, which are similar income countries. Who would have thought that lowish income countries wouldn't have much spare income outside of housing.
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
            “Chinese homebuyers usually pool the whole family’s resources to buy a home,” said Alfred Wu, an associate professor at the National University of Singapore’s Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy. “It is a life-and-death matter for them if their homes become negative assets.”
            Why would it be a 'life or death' matter if a home is in negative equity? Negative equity prevents mobility, not whether a mortgage can be repaid.

Comment

So it seems all those stories about Putin dying were propaganda.

Spy chief William Burns quips the Russian leader is "entirely too healthy" and also addresses tensions with China over Taiwan.

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

Was it a freebie or did she smile as she took your money
                You still talking about ice cream?

Comment

Wife got a 7% pay increase to compensate for inflation. Just now need the taxpayer (you, tyvm) to stump up to keep my salary in the chicken jambalaya and teddys lifestyle I've grown accustomed to. Are ye all getting inflation pay increases?

Comment

Wife got a 7% pay increase to compensate for inflation. Just now need the taxpayer (you, tyvm) to stump up to keep my salary in the chicken jambalaya and teddys lifestyle I've grown accustomed to. Are ye all getting inflation pay increases?
                    She got screwed so as the current inflation rate as per CSO is running at 9.8%. so she actually got a pay reduction
                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

She got screwed so as the current inflation rate as per CSO is running at 9.8%. so she actually got a pay reduction
                      Oh I know, but I didn't want to dampen her mood.

Comment

In fairness, I don't think our household has experienced 10% inflation, as mortgage and therefore housing cost is fixed. You only really experience 10% inflation if your income equals your day-to-day expenses. Plus there's the likely tax cuts coming up at the end of the year that should add the extra few percent to make it breakeven.

Comment

In advance of the pay talks, hopefully no decision makers come on to campus. Our building is a like a ghost town as soon as teaching ends since people have realised they don't have to come work (or do any work?).

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                            In advance of the pay talks, hopefully no decision makers come on to campus. Our building is a like a ghost town as soon as teaching ends since people have realised they don't have to come work (or do any work?).
                            Haven't really grasped the point of going on to campus. Lost my office key seven months ago and never got around to replacing it, so have been Lincoln Lawyering it in the school cafe on the few days a month I go into work.

Comment

Got a 5% stock bonus. But it vests over 5 years and I had to pay tax so

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Got a 5% stock bonus. But it vests over 5 years and I had to pay tax so
                                Ye might be more exposed to falling stock prices though? The wifes company is raking it in, for now, as they boom when stock market volatility goes through the roof.

Comment

Haven't really grasped the point of going on to campus. Lost my office key seven months ago and never got around to replacing it, so have been Lincoln Lawyering it in the school cafe on the few days a month I go into work.
                                  Different story for the non-sciences I suppose. Also I live about a 10 min cycle away so it's as handy to be there as at home.

Comment

I get raises at the start of each year so let's see, though I did get 12% this year. Bonus got screwed by Covid (and last two years) so that was 3% this year (instead of say 15%).

Comment

Ye might be more exposed to falling stock prices though? The wifes company is raking it in, for now, as they boom when stock market volatility goes through the roof.
                                      Similar to both above. Joined earlier this year with bonus in stock that vests over a number of years.

As price was tumbling they gave new joiners a pretty significant bump that vests over the same period.

It all came before the inflation talk and Ukraine situation but I think they did it to get the jump on the situation.
                                      They only went public last year at a good time so the volatility is very evident with lots of staff are in pre-IPO too so makes for interesting conversations

Comment

The situation in Italy could result in a mortal wound to project Europe. Awful timing. The upcoming election going to bring populism on steroids. Can't see them being as successful as the French in resisting the poisonous lure of the far right.
                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Interest rates up half a percent. I blame HJ, the prick.

Comment

Guess last week was a good time to remortgage for 7 years fixed a 1.95% then?

Comment

Got 3.5% increase. Which pretty sure was CPI rate last month.
                                              Current writing an email, asking for a review. Which would be much easier to do if I had got nothing like some staff would have.

Comment

Got 9% which was very nice considering I've done fuck all work for 2 years
                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Guess last week was a good time to remortgage for 7 years fixed a 1.95% then?
                                                  I recall a while back that RD3 told me that my long-term fixed rate wasn’t going to be much of a benefit moving into the future.

I couldn’t come up with a good reason why he was wrong but having almost got carried away with the buying hype during lockdown, I’m glad blissful ignorance prevailed and I stayed put.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I recall a while back that RD3 told me that my long-term fixed rate wasn’t going to be much of a benefit moving into the future.

I couldn’t come up with a good reason why he was wrong but having almost got carried away with the buying hype during lockdown, I’m glad blissful ignorance prevailed and I stayed put.
                                                    classic RD3

Comment

How long is it taking people to get a clear antigen test these days?
                                                      Been 7 days since I tested positive and probably 10 since I first had symptoms. Still feeling a bit shitty but I was hoping to be out and about by now
                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Interest rates up half a percent. I blame HJ, the prick.
                                                        Up to the dizzying heights of 0% lol, with inflation running over 8%

Comment

Any tickets for the races next week in Galway lads? My usual contact has emigrated..
                                                          Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

After 2 years of the constant noise of kids following me around non-stop I decided fuck it and booked a few nights in Nottingham next week for the UKIPT.

Over Thursday morning and a day at Nottingham races while i wait my partner in crime arriving via Kerry Airport. Probably consume a beverage or two try plunder the Placepot. Main Event Fri/Sat/Sun , possibly the HR or Side Event and a few more beverages/nice dinner/check out Nottingham nightlife.

Will i come back with a wad of cash, probably not. Will I enjoy it, hell yes.

No point doing it half arsed so on the basis of the above posts and ye all with your fancy uplifts, I found a mirror and had a brief discussion with the boss and landed on a "Summer Bonus" of €5k to be paid by close of business or i would tender my resignation.

This gives me untill Sept 2023 to come up with a valid excuse for when the wife has to co-sign off on the books for this year

Edit - €300 for flights & 4 nights not bad tbh
                                                            Last edited by Dice75; 21-07-22, 14:17.

Comment

Dice is probably the last person any of us would have expected to lose to UKIP. Its always the quiet ones.

nigel-farage-ukip-giving-vote-leave-brexit-speech-westminster-london.jpg

Comment

classic RD3
                                                                Thankfully fixed at 1.95% myself as ignoring my own advice is always a solid hedge.

Would be embarrassed to say what my uplift was but well worthwhile. Did at least take my own advice about the uplift potential of the current market. Anyone in the private sector who hasn't moved or else put the squeeze on their employer for a big bounce is cheating their future self imo.
                                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Liz4Leader:
                                                                  Being ruled by an idiot that had to be guided out of a 10 X 10m room with one door.

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                    Liz4Leader:
                                                                    Being ruled by an idiot that had to be guided out of a 10 X 10m room with one door.

Better than the last guy?

She probably knows how many children she has.

Comment

Vingegaard luckier than Pogacar to survive this descent and they have sensibly decided to call it a draw until the last climb.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                        Vingegaard luckier than Pogacar to survive this descent and they have sensibly decided to call it a draw until the last climb.
                                                                        Compelling stuff.

In the bar after my Tour de Bretagne with Child #1 on dodgy Dutch rental bikes. 50km round trip on yokes that must weigh as much as a baby elephant. We did treat ourselves to a three course lunch once we hit the coast and Mont Michel came into sight. She found it very amusing that the waiter poured her a glass of wine (nearly 16) so I told her she could have it if she wanted. Was a long and winding road back.

Comment

Van Aert is an absolute hero imo

Comment

Over bar the shouting now, Wout turns on the afterburners and Pog can't keep up

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                              Over bar the shouting now, Wout turns on the afterburners and Pog can't keep up
                                                                              Definitely the best Tour I can remember. Since Roche () anyway.

Comment

Those scenes of the maillot jaune cycling alone to the mountaintop through demented crowds are just iconic. Beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Better is subjective

The fact that a billionaire who couldn't give a fuck and a moron who couldn't find her way out of a small room are the best the Tories have to offer says it all.
                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Better is subjective

The fact that a billionaire who couldn't give a fuck and a moron who couldn't find her way out of a small room are the best the Tories have to offer says it all.
                                                                                    TRUMP

Comment

But then again there is this alternative

Comment

TRUMP
                                                                                        I think there is a difference between the two.
                                                                                        Trump is and always will be a grifter, Rishi is genuinely incredibly loaded. Eye wateringly so.
                                                                                        I expect him to swan off once Truss wins the run off.
                                                                                        He isn;t liked by the rank and file as he stuck the knife into dear leader and he is very, very, very brown

Comment

Rishi seems ... okay? As in, the spending policies he has implemented seem very pro-people. Loads of decent spending aimed at raising people out of poverty and distributing some of the wealth from the top. The super-rich are sometimes like that with enhanced social fairness agendas, Bloomberg was another decent political example. Don't even think he has a habit of saying outrageous or even particularly negative things, mainly just quite nice things. Now, me knowledge of him is razor-thin so might have totally got the wrong end of the stick. Does seem a bit like cheering on Trump because Hilary was a bit of a drip.

Comment

Thankfully fixed at 1.95% myself as ignoring my own advice is always a solid hedge.

Would be embarrassed to say what my uplift was but well worthwhile. Did at least take my own advice about the uplift potential of the current market. Anyone in the private sector who hasn't moved or else put the squeeze on their employer for a big bounce is cheating their future self imo.
                                                                                            Also following your lead and having people in to destroy and reconstruct our house next month...while we try to still half live there, but going on a cruise halfway through the month, while also trying to sell a plane. Should be a stress free month.

Comment

Also following your lead and having people in to destroy and reconstruct our house next month...while we try to still half live there, but going on a cruise halfway through the month, while also trying to sell a plane. Should be a stress free month.
                                                                                              Change job at the same time for the full experience.

Comment

Far too institutionalised for that. Starting a research project soon with a company that would probably uplift me 2x to go work directly for them but I don't think I could face life in trillion dollar company land.

Comment

Might as well knock up the wife too

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Might as well knock up the wife too
                                                                                                    Ideal time to try heroin/meth perhaps?
                                                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Great to have zuut and murdrum back posting.

Comment

Fair bit of deep story happening in that most recent Better Call Saul.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                          Great to have zuut and murdrum back posting.
                                                                                                          Can i use this as the opening line in my new fantasy novel.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Can i use this as the opening line in my new fantasy novel.
                                                                                                            Sounds more like a tech-noir Blade Runner kinda line

Comment

But can she name the father?

Comment

Surprise surprise- no evidence Putin is sick at all- somehow that didn’t stop all the “fact checkers” in reputable broadsheets and elsewhere (and on here too) dining out on it for months.
                                                                                                                it’s almost as if people will believe any old bollocks if it makes them feel cosy inside.
                                                                                                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Meanwhile the sick weekend at Bernie’s charade at the white house keeps rolling. And nobody getting a fraction of the hate the Carlow post office lads did
                                                                                                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

So it seems all those stories about Putin dying were propaganda.

https://news.sky.com/story/vladimir-...-says-12655964
                                                                                                                    Didn’t see you got there first - I wonder do some people feel silly about how hard they fell for it- or do they just memory hole it like all the rest of the bollocks

Comment

Went and dangled my boss off the roof yesterday until he agreed to 50% uplift, also told him to stop patting interns on the arse. As I walked through the main office on my way out everybody stood and applauded. Celebrating with a lovely bottle of 1850 Chateau Le Foutaise

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

Didn’t see you got there first - I wonder do some people feel silly about how hard they fell for it- or do they just memory hole it like all the rest of the bollocks
                                                                                                                        Not that i care either way but are you not receiving news that he is too healthy from the same medium ? Fact is 'who knows' and maybe this is part of the old bollocks also. Its folly to believe 100% anything either side say. I shall file this under ironic .

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                                                          Went and dangled my boss off the roof yesterday until he agreed to 50% uplift, also told him to stop patting interns on the arse. As I walked through the main office on my way out everybody stood and applauded. Celebrating with a lovely bottle of 1850 Chateau Le Foutaise

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X