This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
    On a totally different topic, I'm really loving Sorcha Richardson's new album - Smiling Like an Idiot. It's a pretty laid back, chilled out album. She'll definitely make an appearance in the Top 20 at the end of the year.
    Havent heard it yet. Only 1 tune. Liked the 1st album though
    more of the same ? .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

A small price to pay for being a proddy .

I never ONCE heard any kids singling out a proddy we simply didnt give a shit . I heard English accents being put upon but kids DNGAF . Its most likely an attitude that goes with feeling an outsider . Its a lot safer being a proddy in the rep than it is iitparts of the 6 counties . NOW its a non issue . Sure fking Catholic going to church are mocked bow ( not just on here ).

heard this joke years ago

A nun tells the reverend mudder that she is pregnant . All hell breaks out and the whole convent turn on her throwing sharp objects etc. STOP you will injure that baby. The Nun cried

WHAT BABY ?
      I said i was PREGNANT reverend mudder , i told you.

AWW AWFUL SORRY SISTER MARY. I thought you said Protestant .
      This is probably one of those things that I don't really understand and generally take the piss out of when it's pointed at me. I'm certainly not trying to play the victim but please understand that just because you were doing your best to treat everyone as equals, not everyone was doing that, in fact quite the opposite. I'm not a snowflake but it was a strange world and I'm a strange guy and it's actually quite hard to differentiate what was strange about me and what was strange about the world. As 5Star said it was mostly just kids finding any reason to single out your weirdness but there was always a red flag when it came from adults, which was frequent enough not to be paranoia but not frequent enough to be something you'd march about. Do you get what I mean?
      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
        The decision by the Central Bank to go 4x from 3.5x on mortgage criteria seems pretty oddly timed.

Perhaps it won’t make a difference to most as people won’t realise the additional 0.5 once they’re stress-tested under increasing interest rates but still a little surprising.

I assume banks don’t necessarily have to offer it, rather a change in guidelines. Still feels oddly timed unless I’m missing something.
        It's mostly a response to a rise on construction costs which has them panicking that they might be "interfering with the market". Absolutely no thought about the average joe or his housing costs have been put into this.
        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          Mr Honda:7.20 flight Friday. Ryanair, checked baggage. Arrive 5.30 be grand?
          Dublin's been fine the last few weeks,
          approximately 30 minutes.
          Stansted however is still shit show.

Comment

One of the lads a lot might have known from the Fitz/Emporium Noel Murphy passed away i heard. I think he was only 50.He was a very nice guy i always thought. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

Dublin's been fine the last few weeks,
              approximately 30 minutes.
              Stansted however is still shit show.
              It's such a brutal airport. Can't believe shrapp was on here over the summer saying the expert running of Brit airports was what made him feel truly British.
              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Its because its November delivery and there is nowhere left to store any gas that might be bought. Hopefully its a pattern, but that particular chart is because of storage issues. One of the suspicions is that the November price might even go to zero because of that issue.
                It is still, undeniably, Good News.
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

The first time I realised we were different was when the pope visited in 1979. I was about 4, excitedly ran out into the estate where all my friends invariably were playing on the grass only to find that the entire estate was empty. Everyone was gone, adults, children. Ghost town.
                  I went in and asked my mother what was going on, she tried to explain. Then I got quite irate when told I couldn't go too.

Comment

It is still, undeniably, Good News.
                    Its a technical market reaction to the fact that participants can no longer buy November gas as there is nowhere to put November-bought gas

We're literally going to see it drop to zero, probably, as there's no realistic ability to buy gas if you can't put it somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                      One of the lads a lot might have known from the Fitz/Emporium Noel Murphy passed away i heard. I think he was only 50.He was a very nice guy i always thought. RIP.
                      tight gray hair?

Comment

Its a technical market reaction to the fact that participants can no longer buy November gas as there is nowhere to put November-bought gas

We're literally going to see it drop to zero, probably, as there's no realistic ability to buy gas if you can't put it somewhere.
                        I understand, but the fact the storage facilities are FULL is in itself Good News.

It's 19 degrees in Berlin. That's also good news. Global warming doing its bit too.

Comment

Would anyone have a contact so I can track down some weed? Feel keen to reintroduce this into my life.

Comment

It's 19 degrees in Berlin. That's also good news. Global warming doing its bit too.

I feel you are in for a nasty surprise when you open the front door this morning

Although I see its 23 degrees in Madrid, where we're going in a week, so hopefully that holds up. It feels positively like cheating to be able to wear a t-shirt after mid-September.

Comment

I feel you are in for a nasty surprise when you open the front door this morning

Although I see its 23 degrees in Madrid, where we're going in a week, so hopefully that holds up. It feels positively like cheating to be able to wear a t-shirt after mid-September.
                              I went to take the dog for her morning walk, she put her nose outside, turned back in and jumped on the sofa. So I decreed it to be a work from home day.

Yeah, it is crazy mild. Keep this up and I'll be wondering what sort of a fool I was buying insulation and a new heating system instead of air conditioning.

Comment

Nigel's brother? Bald, was some kind of social worker or community outreach worker?

Comment

The Iranians are going to regret their decision to supply these kamikaze drones to Putin. Really stupid, especially at a time when you're murdering your own citizens for such appalling things as showing their hair in public.
                                  They seem determined to be the Mussolini to Putin's Hitler.

With Trump gone, you would think they might have the smarts to re-engage with the world. Instead they seem to now have decided to go full terrorist state, which of course they already were.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                    Hard to describe. Just a constant low level feeling of being an outsider. Most people were grand, a few would treat us like we were aliens. Very rarely there was anything overt but it was always there. A kid in my class was chased and beaten by some local scumbags for being a "proddy bastard". He was an atheist lol.
                                    I’ve seen this from both sides, and can assure you neither side is better. Coming back as a catholic (With an English accent) to a Protestant school “Londonderry college”, then changing to a catholic school 6 months later in Donegal with same English accent. I think much of the discrimination is indoctrinated from parents as the kids were generally fine if the parents were, but those with savage parents had savage children. The majority of stuff was just. Otherness, tall fella, Protestant, more tanned, spotty etc, whatever feature defined you.

Mr Honda:7.20 flight Friday. Ryanair, checked baggage. Arrive 5.30 be grand?
                                    Buy fast track and you can arrive at 6:30 without bags, with bags is a bit of a lottery by 6am I’m sure is still grand

Put Mr Fox on the list too Lao.
                                    This is excellent for mid-priced good quality food, they used to do excellent take away “make at home” boxes during covid too and the in-person doesn’t disappoint. There is another restaurant near it called Restaurant Six which I’ve been meaning to try but haven’t yet, has anyone else?

Comment

Will any of these protests in Iran actually lead to change or will they be brutally squashed and go away?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                        Hard to describe. Just a constant low level feeling of being an outsider. Most people were grand, a few would treat us like we were aliens. Very rarely there was anything overt but it was always there. A kid in my class was chased and beaten by some local scumbags for being a "proddy bastard". He was an atheist lol.
                                        In the CBS (secondary level) I attended just one of my classmates was Protestant. He had a standard nickname (rhymes with his surname) but his 2nd "nickname" of Prod was used fairly often. No one would say it 1 on 1 to him but it would always be thrown around the class/group. Never in front of teachers though. Even his best mates would say "Shut up ya dirty Prod" and "Typical Proddy". If he was unlucky enough to have anything remotely orange-coloured on hand (or food/fruit), he'd get both barrels. Not limited to mimicking goose-stepping, "Up the ra", "did ye forget the sash again?" and so on. Or the unrelated lad that wore a dutch football jersey to PE was lumped into it all unawares and it kicks off again.

This "Proddy" guy played GAA to a high-level underage and is as proudly Irish as the next Catholic lad. He didn't have a peculiar name or different appearance fwiw, no more than yourself like. Probably could have made county squads with some extra commitment but sports wasn't his focus. Yet it was considered 100% fine to give him abuse as it's friendly banter and shur we're all mates. Tbf to the lad he took it well and gave back plenty of it to his mates. I did feel that he was able to handle it but certain lads were definitely looking to push/trigger a reaction from him. Thankfully the abuse that he did get was within the class and he did get on well with everyone. I won't make any excuses for what went on. While there was no need for it, I'm just glad it never went further than verbal jostling from a group of lads in the class and his mates.

We spoke a few years later and I asked him if it affected him. He did say he wasn't bitter about it and was just annoying. According to him, there was some nastier stuff thrown at other lads about their families, appearance and so on. None of it was particularly nice when I think about it. Funnily enough, we were considered the "academic" and well-behaved class in our year.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Nigel's brother? Bald, was some kind of social worker or community outreach worker?
                                          No, Noel was a Landscaper I think, i dont know how to post pics here I'm afraid.

Comment

No, Noel was a Landscaper I think, i dont know how to post pics here I'm afraid.
                                            Ah right, different Noel Murphy then to who I'm thinking of.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

In the CBS (secondary level) I attended just one of my classmates was Protestant. He had a standard nickname (rhymes with his surname) but his 2nd "nickname" of Prod was used fairly often. No one would say it 1 on 1 to him but it would always be thrown around the class/group. Never in front of teachers though. Even his best mates would say "Shut up ya dirty Prod" and "Typical Proddy". If he was unlucky enough to have anything remotely orange-coloured on hand (or food/fruit), he'd get both barrels. Not limited to mimicking goose-stepping, "Up the ra", "did ye forget the sash again?" and so on. Or the unrelated lad that wore a dutch football jersey to PE was lumped into it all unawares and it kicks off again.

This "Proddy" guy played GAA to a high-level underage and is as proudly Irish as the next Catholic lad. He didn't have a peculiar name or different appearance fwiw, no more than yourself like. Probably could have made county squads with some extra commitment but sports wasn't his focus. Yet it was considered 100% fine to give him abuse as it's friendly banter and shur we're all mates. Tbf to the lad he took it well and gave back plenty of it to his mates. I did feel that he was able to handle it but certain lads were definitely looking to push/trigger a reaction from him. Thankfully the abuse that he did get was within the class and he did get on well with everyone. I won't make any excuses for what went on. While there was no need for it, I'm just glad it never went further than verbal jostling from a group of lads in the class and his mates.

We spoke a few years later and I asked him if it affected him. He did say he wasn't bitter about it and was just annoying. According to him, there was some nastier stuff thrown at other lads about their families, appearance and so on. None of it was particularly nice when I think about it. Funnily enough, we were considered the "academic" and well-behaved class in our year.
                                              Tbf a lot of it is just picking out on any perceived difference.

some of the stories I hear about the stuff that goes on in schools nowadays sounds magnitudes worse than what went on back in the day.

social media has made the reach of this kind of stuff way worse- something that’s starting to be borne out it the statistics re mental well being of teenagers.

was genuinely objectively better back in the day for kids that get singled out in school/those that have body image issues but don’t try telling the Pinker cult members on here
                                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Will any of these protests in Iran actually lead to change or will they be brutally squashed and go away?
                                                I think we all know the answer to that.
                                                thoughts and prayers merchants on Twitter making a lot of noise about it but will be forgotten n a few months
                                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

The Ukraine war as marvel movie types in here gone very quiet- 30% of power generation knocked out in 8 days.
                                                  still Putin drops dead of bone cancer/gets toppled by peace loving subordinates and we all get to go back to normal any day now right?

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                    The decision by the Central Bank to go 4x from 3.5x on mortgage criteria seems pretty oddly timed.

Perhaps it won’t make a difference to most as people won’t realise the additional 0.5 once they’re stress-tested under increasing interest rates but still a little surprising.

I assume banks don’t necessarily have to offer it, rather a change in guidelines. Still feels oddly timed unless I’m missing something.
                                                    With the increasing construction costs and uncertainty I guess the last thing they want is for building to stop. This way at least if the prices are up some people can still buy them instead of nobody, due to the limits. For the average person that will be failing stress tests they can't really afford them either way right now. Still seems like it should be for new builds though, otherwise it'll be a case of sticking 15% on to everything.

Comment

Would anyone have a contact so I can track down some weed? Feel keen to reintroduce this into my life.
                                                      Been looking at equipment myself,
                                                      Finding the best dry herb atomizer lets you vape dry herb without having to invest in a purpose-built device. Here are the best options.

The La Queef 510 might have a marketing problem perhaps.

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Havent heard it yet. Only 1 tune. Liked the 1st album though
                                                        more of the same ? .

Yeah, it's quite similar in style to the 1st album - I've had it on repeat for a while now in the car.

Comment

Ah right, different Noel Murphy then to who I'm thinking of.
                                                          Shocking; i played with him a few weeks ago in SE; what happened?

Comment

On the protests themselves there is a feeling that the dam has cracked and will eventually lead to the regime being turfed out. The people I talk to had been growing ever more optimistic that change was coming for twenty years until Trump came along and set them back to the 1990's. It's hard to understate how damaging that was.

IMO the outcome will be contingent on what happens in Ukraine and Moscow. Putin survives then they do as well.

​​​​​​
                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

With the increasing construction costs and uncertainty I guess the last thing they want is for building to stop. This way at least if the prices are up some people can still buy them instead of nobody, due to the limits. For the average person that will be failing stress tests they can't really afford them either way right now. Still seems like it should be for new builds though, otherwise it'll be a case of sticking 15% on to everything.
                                                              I guess my thinking is I’m not quite sure who this moves the needle for in an increasing interest rate environment. I think it will help some people right now but not for that long.

I think point about new builds is correct because at least you incubate people from much of the energy costs and you can stress test off a lower rate.

I read before that the limit was 36% of net but not sure if that’s for both joint & single.
                                                              Assuming it’s that and it doesn’t change, I think the stress tests are 2% + variable so if that’s used, you’re in the territory whereby many people couldn’t even get 4x mortgages anyway.

Thats my understanding of it but could be missing something there.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Finding the best dry herb atomizer lets you vape dry herb without having to invest in a purpose-built device. Here are the best options.

O, to be able to rock up to one's local dispensary after work and choose one's a grade bud of choice before heading home to chillax. A wild fantasy for us but reality for many.
                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

is down for an outing in the 5.40 at Navan today. Must have come out of the Curragh pretty well. Can't advise a punt unless you are feeling sentimental.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

The Arizer Solo 2 offers hands down the best user experience you’ll ever have with a portable dry herb vape. Find out why now.

Been using this the last few weeks, didnt like the idea of combusting it and breathing that in.

im very new to all of it but went a full 2 weeks without booze, would have vaped most evenings, didnt even want to drink, but then had a thing last weekend...yada yada, but its something to look forward to and so relaxing at the end of the day. Ill take a few hits around 10.30/11pm...15 mins later im so relaxed and Taskmaster is the funniest show on TV.

First night i did it, obvs took too much and could feel myself melting into the armchair, becoming one with it...was able to remind myself what was happening and to just go with it rather than get paranoid.

10 years off the cigs since last week, zero relapses in all that time. Had a good long think about what i was starting, but the general belief is its a lot better off than the booze.
                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

Tbf a lot of it is just picking out on any perceived difference.

some of the stories I hear about the stuff that goes on in schools nowadays sounds magnitudes worse than what went on back in the day.

social media has made the reach of this kind of stuff way worse- something that’s starting to be borne out it the statistics re mental well being of teenagers.

was genuinely objectively better back in the day for kids that get singled out in school/those that have body image issues but don’t try telling the Pinker cult members on here
                                                                      There was plenty worse that went on back then which won't go to a public forum. It's either not committed to digital records or wasn't shareable on social media or society was just "different" then. I remember there were two guys in that same class that were suspected to be gay. Half of the class essentially shunned them during secondary school and being shunned was better than the other problems they could have had. There were poor kids, rich kids, kids with alcoholic parents, kids with speech issues etc. Take your pick. Everyone probably can get some level of harassment from that class but some got it WAAAAY worse.

Technology/social media is such a double-edged sword. The potential damage is catastrophic and humans aren't yet socially evolved enough to deal with it properly. With the technology being so young and evolving constantly it's a perpetual game of catch-up.

My neighbour is a primary school teacher and gave a mini-workshop on cyberbullying to her students recently. The net result was Snapchat pile-ons being created within hours by a bunch of 11 & 12 year olds. Some things have improved since we were kids but others have definitely gotten worse.

There is some element of growing up and learning how to be resilient in the face of various levels of BS/harassment. That's life and I do agree with it to a point. However, it's completely subjective though to the context of the person and situation. The same abuse my classmate above just dealt with could have really had a massive negative impact on someone else.

At what point does a "joke" based on perceived difference move the needle to harassment and how much harassment can someone deal with?

Comment

is down for an outing in the 5.40 at Navan today. Must have come out of the Curragh pretty well. Can't advise a punt unless you are feeling sentimental.
                                                                        Normally likes the rain i think anyway

Comment

Normally likes the rain i think anyway
                                                                          He'd want to! Wouldn't be surprised if they abandon, serious lightning overhead here.

Comment

just finished the first 3 episodes of a new series called Shantaram, based on a book of the same name that i absolutely adore (and i know a good few here have read it and liked it also). Series is surprisingly good so far. Hopefully it carries on as it started.

worth mentioning series 2 of reservation dogs is out also. not quite as good as the first, but some good episodes nonetheless.

Comment

Israel not supporting Ukraine with air defense systems and weapons. You’d think since they got some of the best tech on this front that they’d send some Ukraines way but they’d rather not annoy Russia. Showing their true colours again.
                                                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Da mudder rang , found a very aged post office savings account book . 4 pages of stamps baby. 2 poundish back then by my guess. . She threw it out she trampled all over my nostalgia

How we feeling about Crypto these days ? Worth a few pages ?

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                  Israel not supporting Ukraine with air defense systems and weapons. You’d think since they got some of the best tech on this front that they’d send some Ukraines way but they’d rather not annoy Russia. Showing their true colours again.
                                                                                  It's a strange one, I'm guessing mainly based on (1) the amount of Russian emigrees in Israel (#20% of the population iirc) and (2), what's happening in Syria.

Comment

Tested pos on Monday for the covid hat trick.

Pretty fucking sick tbh, figuratively, what with the marathon in less than two weeks. Symptoms are relatively mild, chesty cold ish.

Put a lot of hard work in to it. Missed 1x run in 20 weeks of training. Pretty gutted. Will test out myself at the weekend and see if it's affected me too negatively.
                                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                      just finished the first 3 episodes of a new series called Shantaram, based on a book of the same name that i absolutely adore (and i know a good few here have read it and liked it also). Series is surprisingly good so far. Hopefully it carries on as it started.
                                                                                      That is an epic book, although maybe not the most well-written.

Comment

Who are we going to for a credit card these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                          Who are we going to for a credit card these days?
                                                                                          I usually use my wife's

Comment

Mad how people actually still use credit cards as lines of credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Pretty fucking sick tbh, figuratively, what with the marathon in less than two weeks. Symptoms are relatively mild, chesty cold ish.

Put a lot of hard work in to it. Missed 1x run in 20 weeks of training. Pretty gutted. Will test out myself at the weekend and see if it's affected me too negatively.
                                                                                              Ah ffs… I’d imagine rest is more useful than training given its taper weeks anyway.

Comment

The UK gov collapse is beyond epic. jesus.

Comment

I'd say it's like a car crash in slow motion but it's not all that slow! FFS.

Presumably you now get the same rush for the exists as under the last clown.

Comment

I see you didn't manage to last the full hour of challenge based learning eh!?

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Ah ffs… I’d imagine rest is more useful than training given its taper weeks anyway.
                                                                                                      Rest not the worst thing, but would be better to be keeping up the same routine albeit at a reduced volume.

Just hoping the lungs aren't hit with it.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

I see you didn't manage to last the full hour of challenge based learning eh!?
                                                                                                        ha, were you there?! Its mad the amount of hour-plus meetings that could be saved by sending around a fecking PDF. Needed to be there to be seen by Blanaid as we annoyed her on something else.

Comment

Having lunch with a new hire today, a prof from Ukraine. She was showing me pics of her apartment destroyed by an actual fucking rocket. Luckily they were all in a shelter at the time, but she was saying the kids were freaked the fuck out by the whole thing. I recommended The Admiral restaurant to her, as her elderly father is here and missing home cuisine - the big selling point I suggested, apart from the food itself, was the gigantic 'Fuck Putin' sign they've erected on the exterior.

Comment

ha, were you there?! Its mad the amount of hour-plus meetings that could be saved by sending around a fecking PDF. Needed to be there to be seen by Blanaid as we annoyed her on something else.
                                                                                                            Yea was over near the window. Seems like she's basically running the University now.

Comment

Truly one of the most spectacularly moronic statements of all time but what do you expect from the waste of space desk jockeys at the U.N- basically yeah we are fucked just don’t say it out loud.

UN warns against alarmism as world’s population reaches 8bn milestone

reaching 8 billion is a tragedy as was pretty much anything over 2 billion.

Comment

You should just have tried harder not to get it. Worked for me so far. Alternatively you could use the Trump endorsed method of reducing infection by not testing for it.

Comment

I see Saudi Arabia looking to join Brics alliance now
                                                                                                                  these guys smell weakness

how did people think relying on the worst people in the world for so long for the lifeblood of our economy was a good idea- too late now

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                                                    I see Saudi Arabia looking to join Brics alliance now
                                                                                                                    these guys smell weakness

how did people think relying on the worst people in the world for so long for the lifeblood of our economy was a good idea- too late now
                                                                                                                    If the EU had suspended all future infra funding and instead put it towards renewables and nuclear plants I would wonder how long it would have taken for our grids to be free from coal, gas and oil.

With the prices jumping up of gas and oil the breakeven cost of building the plants against feeding the existing ones must be a few years closer.

Would have been worth using as a threat at least.

Comment

Rest not the worst thing, but would be better to be keeping up the same routine albeit at a reduced volume.

Just hoping the lungs aren't hit with it.
                                                                                                                      Im guessing you'll be fine . Your target is very attainable given your training. The last DCM I ran the calves were caving. I would have prefered a lung issue at least id have kept running. Abandoned at 20 miles and walked the rest like Robocop.. some day i'll get my vengeance.

Comment

Im guessing you'll be fine . Your target is very attainable given your training. The last DCM I ran the calves were caving. I would have prefered a lung issue at least id have kept running. Abandoned at 20 miles and walked the rest like Robocop.. some day i'll get my vengeance.
                                                                                                                        Thanks Willie, fingers crossed.

Yeah, had that experience too. It's awful. The last 10k in a world of hurt is no fun.

Looking to avenge it this year

Comment

Matt Doherty anytime scorer is worth a modest sum. Been knocking at the door recently

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X