Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Wordle Gummidge

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

    did he mellow as he got older?
    Good spot! Had to re-read a few times before i saw it!

    Comment


      Cliffs on the Hitch Kerry fairies twitter thing?
      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

      Comment


        Tim Vine recreating scenes from Colombo is the kind of content that will keep Twitter safe from Musk. Class
        ​​​​​​



        ​​​​​​


        Turning millions into thousands

        Comment


          My woman's parents are flying home on Sunday. Her dad is elderly with diabetes, limited mobility and has to use a cane to get around. Obviously I'm worried about him being stuck in a queue for hours.

          Does anyone know there any arrangement for him to get priority or have somewhere to rest/sit while he waits for security?

          Comment


            Originally posted by coillcam View Post
            My woman's parents are flying home on Sunday. Her dad is elderly with diabetes, limited mobility and has to use a cane to get around. Obviously I'm worried about him being stuck in a queue for hours.

            Does anyone know there any arrangement for him to get priority or have somewhere to rest/sit while he waits for security?
            OCS look after that, theyll give him a wheelchair and bring him through security as a priority. Keep in mind i think with everyone else they are having resourcing issues, id give them a ring tomorrow, get them booked in and arrive in plenty of time of the day.

            Sent you a PM there in case you didnt notice also.
            Last edited by eamonhonda; 31-05-22, 20:54.
            airport, lol

            Comment


              Nadal n Djokovic serving up another classic so far.

              Comment


                Cheers lads, probably should have Googled that one first!

                Nadal Djokovic tied with a set each at the moment in Roland Garros. Great battle so far.

                Comment


                  Anyone have a helicopter or know a reputable place to rent one for a quick trip to mark an occasion? Any place I've checked online either dont have quotes and one place was starting at 5k which isnt ideal. Trip would be for around an hour so any pointers appreciated

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                    Cheers lads, probably should have Googled that one first!

                    Nadal Djokovic tied with a set each at the moment in Roland Garros. Great battle so far.
                    Its a lovely service. Was next to someone on the plane over a few months back, it was her first trip abroad in two years and she had been highly nervous, was quite frail, and she must have spent the whole hour going on about how nice they were. You wouldn't get that in your fancy london airports. A five-wombat experience.
                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                    Comment


                      The missus has family over for her sister's wedding wedding. Both bedrooms have been surrendered for the week. So we've resigned to a blow up mattress in the sitting room. Everyone is now glued to Roland Garros in the sitting room and Im funking for Nadal to run away with it!

                      It's after midnight in Paris. How long will this go on for?

                      Comment


                        Great stuff, Incredible recovery in the 4th set, don't think I woulda had the stamina for another set
                        Turning millions into thousands

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                          Great stuff, Incredible recovery in the 4th set, don't think I woulda had the stamina for another set
                          Yeah I thought in that 20 min game he was beginning to feel it and would fatigue. Djokovic made too many unforced errors and tried a few too many drop shots. Nadal just ground that out.

                          Comment


                            Loved that it started in May and Finished in June . Very apt for these guys .

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Degag View Post

                              Well, they most certainly do exist, there are three in close proximity to me. I guess the question is if you believe they have any mythical "power" if you will.

                              My father has quite a few stories of bad things that happened to people who disturbed him when he was young. While they obviously have no connection to any aforementioned power, i still wouldn't go messing with them if i had a choice IMO.
                              Ringforts, stone circles etc, were structures that were constructed and remain as archeological features in the landscape. By not exist I was talking about the alleged “fairies” aspect.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Mellor View Post

                                Ringforts, stone circles etc, were structures that were constructed and remain as archeological features in the landscape. By not exist I was talking about the alleged “fairies” aspect.
                                Explain the monies under my pillow when i know for a fact my mudder was skint . You dont know everything Mellor .

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                  Anyone have a helicopter or know a reputable place to rent one for a quick trip to mark an occasion? Any place I've checked online either dont have quotes and one place was starting at 5k which isnt ideal. Trip would be for around an hour so any pointers appreciated
                                  Irish Poker PIlot Zuutroy seems to have fallen off the face of the earth, possibly gone volunteering with the UAF.

                                  If not, he must surely be due to airlift the HHE to the Listowel Races in September.
                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                  Comment


                                    Originally posted by Degag View Post

                                    Well, they most certainly do exist, there are three in close proximity to me. I guess the question is if you believe they have any mythical "power" if you will.

                                    My father has quite a few stories of bad things that happened to people who disturbed him when he was young. While they obviously have no connection to any aforementioned power, i still wouldn't go messing with them if i had a choice IMO.
                                    They have no mythical power. There's no such thing.

                                    Bad things happen to people. All the time. Why associate those bad things with disturbing a fairy ring as opposed to what they ate for breakfast? "Porridge after noon will spell your doom" as my old imaginary Pappy would say. Or maybe it was their choice of shoes? "A man with rubber soles shall lose his soul" as old Grannie Madeup used to tell me.

                                    These sorts of nonsense ideas usually have a logical origin. Old ringforts might have also doubled up as burial mounds or they were revered as the former seat of some great family so the "fairy fort" nonsense was concocted to stop people disturbing them since the idea of preserving them wasn't enough to stop people. Ghost stories to scare children.

                                    We still do this. In UCC there are 2 versions, for example. It's said if you walk on the grass in the quad or across the mosaic in the Aula Maxima that you'll fail your exams. Which is patent nonsense. But it was clearly started by the groundskeepers to keep the grass in good nick and stop the mosaic from fading by people walking across it all the time. Logical basis for a bullshit warning.

                                    If you dig up a fairy fort awful things might happen to you. But they might well happen whether you dig it up or not. The two are utterly unrelated.
                                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

                                    Comment


                                      I don't mind those types of superstitions, they are harmless bits of cultural transmission (the fairyforts, not the UCC thing). I don't think I've ever met a magpie I haven't said 'good morning Mr Magpie' to, or counted how many there are to see if it meant good or bad luck.
                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                      Comment


                                        Well played Degag

                                        Comment


                                          Originally posted by Mellor View Post

                                          Ringforts, stone circles etc, were structures that were constructed and remain as archeological features in the landscape. By not exist I was talking about the alleged “fairies” aspect.
                                          Understood, you were being pedantic but so was I!

                                          Comment


                                            It's unlucky to be superstitious.
                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                            Comment


                                              Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

                                              They have no mythical power. There's no such thing.

                                              Bad things happen to people. All the time. Why associate those bad things with disturbing a fairy ring as opposed to what they ate for breakfast? "Porridge after noon will spell your doom" as my old imaginary Pappy would say. Or maybe it was their choice of shoes? "A man with rubber soles shall lose his soul" as old Grannie Madeup used to tell me.

                                              These sorts of nonsense ideas usually have a logical origin. Old ringforts might have also doubled up as burial mounds or they were revered as the former seat of some great family so the "fairy fort" nonsense was concocted to stop people disturbing them since the idea of preserving them wasn't enough to stop people. Ghost stories to scare children.

                                              We still do this. In UCC there are 2 versions, for example. It's said if you walk on the grass in the quad or across the mosaic in the Aula Maxima that you'll fail your exams. Which is patent nonsense. But it was clearly started by the groundskeepers to keep the grass in good nick and stop the mosaic from fading by people walking across it all the time. Logical basis for a bullshit warning.

                                              If you dig up a fairy fort awful things might happen to you. But they might well happen whether you dig it up or not. The two are utterly unrelated.
                                              Do you think i disagree with you or something?

                                              Comment


                                                Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                It's unlucky to be superstitious.
                                                Paddy Powers throw out half of the CVs they get to avoid hiring unlucky people . (Joke circa 1996)

                                                Comment


                                                  Originally posted by Degag View Post

                                                  Do you think i disagree with you or something?
                                                  The suggestion in your initial post was that you wouldn't move them because of some "mythical" power. If I took that up wrong that's very much on me.
                                                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

                                                  Comment


                                                    Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

                                                    The suggestion in your initial post was that you wouldn't move them because of some "mythical" power. If I took that up wrong that's very much on me.
                                                    Nah. But if i had a big open field and a choice of ‘doing something’ elsewhere, i would.

                                                    Moreso that there is a natural beauty about them than anything.

                                                    it’s slightly irrelevant cause i don’t have said field.

                                                    It’s a hugely superstitious thing where i’m from though amongst a certain generation. Probably due to the proliferation of them.

                                                    Comment


                                                      Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

                                                      pretty standard now i would have thought. just grab a priority ticket and you'll be through in 30 minutes.

                                                      off to inverness on wednesday from gatwick. will report in also as to how bad these london airports are. thing i'm most worried about is i'm travelling with easyjet who seem to be cancelling flights for fun at the moment
                                                      Bag drop and security done in 30 minutes total. The airport inside is incredibly busy though. Time for a few pints

                                                      Comment


                                                        You're worse than Comical Ali at this stage shrap. You're probably queuing ten miles away from the terminal, having slept there overnight, waiting for a permission slip to enter the airport gates, so you can start queuing outside. I'm on to you like a hawk.
                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                        Comment


                                                          Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

                                                          Irish Poker PIlot Zuutroy seems to have fallen off the face of the earth, possibly gone volunteering with the UAF.

                                                          If not, he must surely be due to airlift the HHE to the Listowel Races in September.
                                                          Killarney in July surely the preferential Kerry race meeting.

                                                          / IN.

                                                          Comment


                                                            Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                            You're worse than Comical Ali at this stage shrap. You're probably queuing ten miles away from the terminal, having slept there overnight, waiting for a permission slip to enter the airport gates, so you can start queuing outside. I'm on to you like a hawk.
                                                            The kingdom is calling. Go on that radio show. Ipb is behind you​.

                                                            Add a shout out to Shraaap queuing in the uk when you're there

                                                            Comment


                                                              Originally posted by Gimmeabreak View Post

                                                              Killarney in July surely the preferential Kerry race meeting.

                                                              / IN.
                                                              As an added bonus, we can drop HH off to his Radio Kerry interview. Parachute optional.
                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

                                                              Comment


                                                                It's a little known fact that Dublin Airport Terminal 1 was built on a fairy fort.
                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

                                                                Comment


                                                                  Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                  Tim Vine recreating scenes from Colombo is the kind of content that will keep Twitter safe from Musk. Class
                                                                  ​​​​​​



                                                                  ​​​​​​

                                                                  Just the one technique of course, but still, shits on Quincy.

                                                                  Comment


                                                                    Tough to listen to the airport bleating- travel chaos of some form should have been priced into everyone’s decisions this year- get used to it
                                                                    played a part in my decision making for this summer anyway- the other being it’s time to get used to a reduction in foreign travel - one way or another the cheap and easy era is over and it’s not coming back

                                                                    Comment


                                                                      Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                      Tough to listen to the airport bleating- travel chaos of some form should have been priced into everyone’s decisions this year- get used to it
                                                                      played a part in my decision making for this summer anyway- the other being it’s time to get used to a reduction in foreign travel - one way or another the cheap and easy era is over and it’s not coming back
                                                                      I've flown multiple times without an issue this year. Longest wait was still less than 30 mins. And all the tickets were <100 eur.

                                                                      Comment


                                                                        Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

                                                                        I've flown multiple times without an issue this year. Longest wait was still less than 30 mins. And all the tickets were <100 eur.
                                                                        You are now coming into peak season- issues were inevitable

                                                                        Comment


                                                                          Believing in fairy forts/god way less stupid than believing in limitless economic growth/ pain free climate change transitions/ anything Stephen pinker says/cryptocurrency
                                                                          Last edited by MysteryGuest; 01-06-22, 11:37.

                                                                          Comment


                                                                            Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                            Tough to listen to the airport bleating- travel chaos of some form should have been priced into everyone’s decisions this year- get used to it
                                                                            played a part in my decision making for this summer anyway- the other being it’s time to get used to a reduction in foreign travel - one way or another the cheap and easy era is over and it’s not coming back
                                                                            Ah ya, such great value in staycations too, as long as you stay in your own home and don't eat out.

                                                                            Just on a whim, decided to look up a hotel room in Dublin on Sep 17th, just for the one night. Nothing cheaper than €400 available. Around the country fuck all less than 200 too unless you want to stay in a pub hotel in a middle of nowhere small town.

                                                                            Comment


                                                                              Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                              Believing in fairy forts/god way less stupid than believing in limitless economic growth/ pain free climate change transitions/ anything Stephen pinker says/cryptocurrency

                                                                              I laughed when this popped up this morning. Fecking google is listening

                                                                               

                                                                              Comment


                                                                                Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

                                                                                Ah ya, such great value in staycations too, as long as you stay in your own home and don't eat out.

                                                                                Just on a whim, decided to look up a hotel room in Dublin on Sep 17th, just for the one night. Nothing cheaper than €400 available. Around the country fuck all less than 200 too unless you want to stay in a pub hotel in a middle of nowhere small town.
                                                                                Kids have a week off next week so we got a decent 4 bed house for the week on the grounds of a hotel where you can use all the facitities for €960 for 5 adults and 2 kids.

                                                                                Comment


                                                                                  Freudian slip there with tities

                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                    Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

                                                                                    Kids have a week off next week so we got a decent 4 bed house for the week on the grounds of a hotel where you can use all the facitities for €960 for 5 adults and 2 kids.
                                                                                    One of your kids moved out already?

                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                      Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

                                                                                      One of your kids moved out already?
                                                                                      Not that I'm aware of

                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                        Wife is currently sitting on a plane in Manchester waiting for crew to load their bags onto the plane. They are short staffed apparently, could be waiting up to an hour.
                                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                          Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post


                                                                                          I laughed when this popped up this morning. Fecking google is listening
                                                                                          That's a super clip, so many little details.

                                                                                          I remember someone, could have been the same lad, setting a record for being buried alive over the week of 'the Carnival' in Naas late 60's early 70's, being buried alive was apparently all the rage in those days. Think there were stories of him being seen out and about in the pubs after the carnival closed up for the night. Like the fairy stories people preferred to claim it was a ghost or doppelganger rather than the mundane explanation that he was able to get out of the coffin at night and was only doing the day shift at the Carnival.
                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                            Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

                                                                                            Not that I'm aware of
                                                                                            Don't you have 3 of them? Also, what is this hotel?

                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                              Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

                                                                                              Don't you have 3 of them? Also, what is this hotel?
                                                                                              Only 2 thank fuck.

                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                                Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

                                                                                                Only 2 thank fuck.
                                                                                                No, no it's defintely three.

                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                  Originally posted by hotspur View Post

                                                                                                  No, no it's defintely three.
                                                                                                  Wife would agree and count me tbf

                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                    Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

                                                                                                    That's a super clip, so many little details.

                                                                                                    I remember someone, could have been the same lad, setting a record for being buried alive over the week of 'the Carnival' in Naas late 60's early 70's, being buried alive was apparently all the rage in those days. Think there were stories of him being seen out and about in the pubs after the carnival closed up for the night. Like the fairy stories people preferred to claim it was a ghost or doppelganger rather than the mundane explanation that he was able to get out of the coffin at night and was only doing the day shift at the Carnival.
                                                                                                    Its hard to believe it can be real. And Bill O'H looking well

                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                      Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

                                                                                                      I've flown multiple times without an issue this year. Longest wait was still less than 30 mins. And all the tickets were <100 eur.
                                                                                                      Flights may be less than €100 but Denny obviously expensing the "Platinum Services".

                                                                                                      https://www.thejournal.ie/daa-airpor...80476-Jun2022/
                                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

                                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                                        Decided to stress test the airport and booked flights to Lisbon for a week in August.
                                                                                                        Should probably get a wriggle on and book hotel/Airbnb.
                                                                                                        Anyone been before? Any suggestions?
                                                                                                        The 6 year old's on request is a pool which seems to limit options somewhat
                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

                                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                                          Our electricity meter reading at midnight last night: 91801, our meter reading right now 91782. omg. Had solar installed on Tuesday and because its a 60 year old meter it literally rewinds back when there is excess electricity. Who needs a battery when we've got that!
                                                                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                          Comment


                                                                                                            Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                            Our electricity meter reading at midnight last night: 91801, our meter reading right now 91782. omg. Had solar installed on Tuesday and because its a 60 year old meter it literally rewinds back when there is excess electricity. Who needs a battery when we've got that!
                                                                                                            Wow, you could get a few Freddos for that. I'd still be a bit worried about the safety of the set up though.
                                                                                                            “Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders.”

                                                                                                            Comment


                                                                                                              Depp verdict being announced live in the next few minutes. Its the OJ trial of our time. Where were you when the Depp verdict was being announced? Hopefully not queuing in a London airport.
                                                                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                              Comment


                                                                                                                hmm, the jury forgot to fill in the correct forms.
                                                                                                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                                Comment


                                                                                                                  Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                  hmm, the jury forgot to fill in the correct forms.
                                                                                                                  Where were you when the OJ trial finished? I'm certain I didn't pay any attention to it at the time, and only have memories from afterwards.
                                                                                                                  “Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders.”

                                                                                                                  Comment


                                                                                                                    Is there a "favourite" to win the verdict?

                                                                                                                    Comment


                                                                                                                      Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

                                                                                                                      Where were you when the OJ trial finished? I'm certain I didn't pay any attention to it at the time, and only have memories from afterwards.
                                                                                                                      hmm. I don't know.
                                                                                                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                                      Comment


                                                                                                                        announcing now!
                                                                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                                        Comment


                                                                                                                          We can look forward to a Pirates of the Caribbean movie every year on the year
                                                                                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

                                                                                                                          Comment

                                                                                                                          Working...
                                                                                                                          X