This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
    Daughter turned 17 at beginning of May. Going to house party tomorrow night. Wants me to buy drink (750ml bottle of Bacardi) for her. What my play?
    Buy 2 a drink one yourself before she goes out so she can see the effect it will have.

you should ask her is she splitting it tho

Comment

The alcohol is just to wash down the drugs though.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I dont remember this part at all.
        When the helicopter is following him...

Bruce tickets secured !!
        This too shall pass.

Comment

OK. Going for a small naggin or a few cans of While Claw or something like that. Strictly a moderate amount for here own consumption. Had a good chat about how getting 'wasted' or 'fucked up' is far from cool and that the smart people mange their alcohol consumption in a way that it contributes to the fun. Also that if she comes home clearly inebriated there won't be any more partying for the rest of the summer. Fingers crossed.
          Wombats daughter to friends: "I should bring some cans to the party, but will my parents come good?"
          Friends: "Here's an idea..."
          Friends: "You don't ask for what you want - you ask for enough booze to sink a Dice-like drinker, and they will, on their own, think they are being responsible by 'just' giving you the few cans you wanted anyway"
          Wombats daughter: "Thats a five-wombats idea"
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Third date added, the Tuesday.
            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

ropa vieja is what you're looking for
              oh that looks lovely.

Comment

Definitely true that the current 'young' generation drink less than we did (and still do!). Although at least we didn't spend half the day online confused about what gender we might be.

Comment

Inset stove looks good. I did try to persuade Mrs D3 that we should go radical and just block up the chimney altogether, as why do you need a fire in a retrofitted house with a heat pump, but she, proud daughter of turf-burning folk, was having none of it.

You would imagine that future generations will be mightily puzzled by the thought of having a giant wind tunnel in the middle of your house that you occasionally incinerated fossil fuels in.

Comment

Daughter turned 17 at beginning of May. Going to house party tomorrow night. Wants me to buy drink (750ml bottle of Bacardi) for her. What my play?
                    Counter offer 6 pack of breeze.
                    Or a few cans of those pre mixed things.
                    Likely if its a 'party', the bottle may be communal.
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                      Definitely true that the current 'young' generation drink less than we did (and still do!). Although at least we didn't spend half the day online confused about what gender we might be.
                      I do wonder how history will judge us on that one.
                      It's a funny thing that most people's exposure to gender/trans issues comes from comedians taking the piss out of activism.
                      That's them referring to pretty much the extreme edge of virtue signalling by twitter arseholes but I do feel, as for me it is pretty much my only exposure in my day to day life, my perceptions are being coloured.
                      Trans women are women. OK cool.
                      So natural born women are what? Simply women too?

And is it bigoted of me to feel empathy for the latter for having their gender's name absorbed?
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

While RD3 is wasting money on actual homes, I splurged, last night, on a far more valuable house investment. Look at that in all its glory! omg.

Comment

I think if I ever had a teenager I'd walk them through town on a Saturday night, especially on a day where there's been an afternoon rugby game on, before they start going out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                            While RD3 is wasting money on actual homes, I splurged, last night, on a far more valuable house investment. Look at that in all its glory! omg.
                            It's basically 25k here, 20k there, 5k over there and oh, 70k for you at the moment. All while thinking I've got away lightly.

Comment

Just committed to a kitchen from what seems like a nice enough Irish company. Just need to lock in the electrician to do the rewire before that...fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I do wonder how history will judge us on that one.
                                It's a funny thing that most people's exposure to gender/trans issues comes from comedians taking the piss out of activism.
                                That's them referring to pretty much the extreme edge of virtue signalling by twitter arseholes but I do feel, as for me it is pretty much my only exposure in my day to day life, my perceptions are being coloured.
                                Trans women are women. OK cool.
                                So natural born women are what? Simply women too?

And is it bigoted of me to feel empathy for the latter for having their gender's name absorbed?
                                Having their genders name absorbed, what does that even mean.

The places it counts is in sport where there is an unfair advantage/safety issue.

Apart from that - well done you for growing tits instead of a dick and that’s actually a decision your dad made months before you were born.

People caring about letting people into their gender as if they own it or their life will be changed if a guy in a skirt calls themselves a woman.

The toilet worry is stupid too - lesbians are already allowed in.

Weird that nobody cares about the change going the other way.

Comment

Inset stove looks good. I did try to persuade Mrs D3 that we should go radical and just block up the chimney altogether, as why do you need a fire in a retrofitted house with a heat pump, but she, proud daughter of turf-burning folk, was having none of it.

You would imagine that future generations will be mightily puzzled by the thought of having a giant wind tunnel in the middle of your house that you occasionally incinerated fossil fuels in.
                                  We got rid of the mantle piece in our sitting room when we moved in.

It took up a load of space, when we do serious work I will look at taking out the chimney completely.

Comment

Just committed to a kitchen from what seems like a nice enough Irish company. Just need to lock in the electrician to do the rewire before that...fingers crossed.
                                    Who's the Kitchen crowd?

Comment

FIL got a sort of balloon thing that he puts up the chimney and pumps up to block it, said it made a world of difference to the warmth of the sitting room

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Who's the Kitchen crowd?
                                        De Barra kitchens. Came out to the house Weds, plans Thursday, signed and paid deposit Friday - seem pretty proactive.

Comment

De Barra kitchens. Came out to the house Weds, plans Thursday, signed and paid deposit Friday - seem pretty proactive.
                                          When you got 1 on the hook. Best to reel em in. WP them

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                            Third date added, the Tuesday.
                                            Missus was dispairing but got 2 for Tuesday. Shes a bruce fanatic . I like him. He's very good but massively over rated . Divorce grounds in our house . I'll have to drink a 750 bottle of undiluted Barcadi to match her fanatical wailing on the night . The RDS is a terrible venue . Why Brucey WHY?

Comment

Missus was dispairing but got 2 for Tuesday. Shes a bruce fanatic . I like him. He's very good but massively over rated . Divorce grounds in our house . I'll have to drink a 750 bottle of undiluted Barcadi to match her fanatical wailing on the night . The RDS is a terrible venue . Why Brucey WHY?
                                              I got two for a friend this morning as he was on a plane back from Italy at the time, kids in tow. Needs all the help he can get. It's not easy getting me up that early for something I don't care about.
                                              When I joined the queue before 8 I was 15000th in line, I joined on a second browser just for the craic and could see 70000 people behind me already.

Comment

I'd divorce you too. Heresy.

Comment

I'd divorce you too. Heresy.
                                                  Well not Elvis levels of overrated but ive been to better gigs tbh .

Comment

Bruce and Elvis in the one morning. You'll be having a go at Van the Man next.

Comment

Can't stand him.

Comment

And dont start me on Cassius Clay . (Shite singer too) .

Sugar Ray Leonard was the king

Comment

Well done. We decided on doing a new kitchen last September. An architect I work with gave me the name of a good designer, she (the architect) estimated around 20k.

Drew down 20k for it in October thinking it might be doable by Xmas.

Naive isn't the word, on timeline and cost.

He's booked us for mid Aug, by the time the worktop people are finished it will be a full year, and we'll be in for €48k.
                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

After making the initial contact with the kitchen designer in Oct, it was March before he even got to call out to us.

As I said before in here though, that to me is a really positive sign..

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Well done. We decided on doing a new kitchen last September. An architect I work with gave me the name of a good designer, she (the architect) estimated around 20k.

Drew down 20k for it in October thinking it might be doable by Xmas.

Naive isn't the word, on timeline and cost.

He's booked us for mid Aug, by the time the worktop people are finished it will be a full year, and we'll be in for €48k.
                                                              yoiks

20k for ours and seems a pretty high-end product according to the person who watches shows about doing up houses.

Booked in for 18th July with our lads although of course there will be speed bumps along the way.

Comment

They seem to be rolling out these new BusConnect routes with a bit of urgency. Its some service if you are near a route. Every ten minutes 6am-10pm, then commonly a 24-hour service with a bus every half-hour overnight.

Comment

yoiks

20k for ours and seems a pretty high-end product according to the person who watches shows about doing up houses.

Booked in for 18th July with our lads although of course there will be speed bumps along the way.
                                                                  I'm guessing you're doing a new kitchen replacing the existing one?

We're turning our current living room into a kitchen, a switcharoo. Although, the new living room isn't covered in that 48k, there's almost 8k worth of plumbing and electrical. We're also spending 7k on a marble top.

Comment

We're turning our current living room into a kitchen, a switcharoo. Although, the new living room isn't covered in that 48k, there's almost 8k worth of plumbing and electrical. We're also spending 7k on a marble top.
                                                                    I don't know if this still works, but what my dad did for the marble top was he bought it from a gravestone company. Apparently kitchen marble tops are sold at some sort of premium, while companies that make gravestones have the exact same marble but operate in a differently priced market. They just did him up the same marble top specs as the kitchen place but for about half the price.

Comment

I don't know if this still works, but what my dad did for the marble top was he bought it from a gravestone company. Apparently kitchen marble tops are sold at some sort of premium, while companies that make gravestones have the exact same marble but operate in a differently priced market. They just did him up the same marble top specs as the kitchen place but for about half the price.
                                                                      Could presumably get your epitaph etched into it at the same time, thus saving money on future burial expenses and providing a humorous conversation point for dinner guests.

Comment

yeah, tearing out Ye Olde Kitchen from circa 1985 and replacing. The island\counters will be silestone.

Still, 40k for a kitchen. You must be robbing your customers blind to pay for that, boom boom.

Comment

Ha, I'll be robbing them blind for a good few years to pay for it

Comment

Wouldn't the grave people just offer supply only though?

A big part of it is the measuring, cutting out for hob/sink, finishing and install. I think you'd need the expertise of kitchen specialists for that no?

Comment

Don't know, its a fairly swanky house he has, so presumably they came up with some solution to that. He still talks about the gravestone marble ten years later, so I guess it worked out well.

Comment

Mad thing is, I'm afraid to tell anyone else how much we're spending, particularly family. I'll prob tell them we spent 10k.

Similar to the coffee machine we splurged on, wouldn't dream of telling my Mam that we spent €700 on it. Told her it was 200 and I got it as an xmas bonus.

Anyone else like that? Almost ashamed to be spending money?

Comment

Don't know, its a fairly swanky house he has, so presumably they came up with some solution to that. He still talks about the gravestone marble ten years later, so I guess it worked out well.

Look at your PM's
                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Mad thing is, I'm afraid to tell anyone else how much we're spending, particularly family. I'll prob tell them we spent 10k.

Similar to the coffee machine we splurged on, wouldn't dream of telling my Mam that we spent €700 on it. Told her it was 200 and I got it as an xmas bonus.

Anyone else like that? Almost ashamed to be spending money?
                                                                                    Take a leaf from a guy we heard in Gauthier in London the other day. At dessert he asked them to pack it up as he had another dinner reservation. This being a £200, 10 course, wine paired meal he is already at. I think the house you live in and a drink you have every day like coffee aren't exactly splurges compared to the stuff people spend money on.

Comment

Think I might stick to renting after all these stories

Comment

Looking forward to the rugby tomorrow, going to head into town and we'll find a nice boozer to sit back and enjoy. I think La Rochelle aren't even in the same ballpark as Leinster and this is going to be an absolute rout. Tiny bit of fear that LR drag them into an arm wrestle but I can't see them having enough ball and their big heffalumps will be in intensive care by half time.

Backed Leinster -28 and Porter FTS @40s. Double would be nice.

Comment

Do they do home improvement grants anymore ,?

Comment

Looking forward to the rugby tomorrow, going to head into town and we'll find a nice boozer to sit back and enjoy. I think La Rochelle aren't even in the same ballpark as Leinster and this is going to be an absolute rout. Tiny bit of fear that LR drag them into an arm wrestle but I can't see them having enough ball and their big heffalumps will be in intensive care by half time.

Backed Leinster -28 and Porter FTS @40s. Double would be nice.
                                                                                            Have to bring someone to pub to watch it - give me some ideas there?

Comment

Have to bring someone to pub to watch it - give me some ideas there?
                                                                                              like who to bring, or where to go?

We're going to head in round Baggot St area anyway

Comment

like who to bring, or where to go?

We're going to head in round Baggot St area anyway
                                                                                                Pubs i meant

Prob dodge Baggot street as will be jammed. Thinking more around Grafton street area but no idea wheres good for a match really. I normally prefer pubs with no TV

Comment

ah the glory of sanctions. So a European country is now shipping oil to China and India, and the US is now shipping gas to Europe. No real change in how much is being sold, its just polluting the atmosphere that much more.

A record volume of Russian oil is on board tankers, with unprecedented amounts heading to India and China as other nations restrict imports because of the war in Ukraine.

Between 74 million and 79 million barrels from the OPEC+ producer were in transit and floating storage over the past week, more than double the 27 million barrels just before the February invasion of Ukraine, according to Kpler.

Asia overtook Europe as the largest buyer for the first time last month, and that gap is set to widen in May, according to the data and analytics company.

Comment

It probably was cheaper to go that way, but not Hitch Snr discovered a secret low cost marble market. I's say its much simpler than that.
                                                                                                    Tombstones are more likely to use less expensive stone. There's a huge range in raw material cost.

Calcatta white marble is one of the most expensive types, Carrea is also a white marble, one of the cheapest. The former will cost 4x as much.
                                                                                                    Both come from the same region in Italy.

calacatta-v-carrara.jpg
                                                                                                    Last edited by Mellor; 27-05-22, 15:41.

Comment

Crazy bit of scheduling by the GAA to put Kildare vDublin head to head with Leinster final.
                                                                                                      arrogant and ignorant imo
                                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Pubs i meant

Prob dodge Baggot street as will be jammed. Thinking more around Grafton street area but no idea wheres good for a match really. I normally prefer pubs with no TV
                                                                                                        yeah, we're just going to work it out on the fly (i.e. on the DART). Might try somewhere like Mulligans perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

It probably was cheaper to go that way, but not Hitch Snr discovered a secret low cost marble market. I's say its much simpler than that.
                                                                                                          Tombstones are more likely to use less expensive stone. There's a huge range in raw material cost. Calcatta white marble is one of the most expensive, Carrea white marble, that comes fro mthe same place, is one of the cheapest.
                                                                                                          Here's the piece we got. Arabescato. Wanted that blue cheese look.

Nice bit of drama to it, these lovely pinkish tones going through it that are difficult to see on the image.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Doubt you'd see that on a gravestone tbh, unless the fucker was hit by lightning.

Comment

There's nice fat veins and variation in that. Blue cheese is a good descriptor. I like it.
                                                                                                              I'd love to rip out the counter and put in a stone top. But the place came with a caesarstone counter and there nothing really wrong with it - other than I don't like it.

Not sure why, but all the best stuff comes out of Italy, maybe volcano related.
                                                                                                              We had a lobby project in 2019, where the walls and floor were in Italian limestone (wall on left, cafe is marble).
                                                                                                              There was so much require by boss was flowed to Italy to pick the stone at the quarry.

217023_00_N19_highresjpg-1980x1320.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Having their genders name absorbed, what does that even mean.

The places it counts is in sport where there is an unfair advantage/safety issue.

Apart from that - well done you for growing tits instead of a dick and that’s actually a decision your dad made months before you were born.

People caring about letting people into their gender as if they own it or their life will be changed if a guy in a skirt calls themselves a woman.

The toilet worry is stupid too - lesbians are already allowed in.

Weird that nobody cares about the change going the other way.
                                                                                                                perhaps my wording wasn't accurate.
                                                                                                                Personally, I couldn't really care what a person chooses to or feels compelled to call themselves. As you said, it affects other people's lives in little to no way.
                                                                                                                I recognise gender dysphoria is a real thing and people transitioning to their perferred gender is for them a healthy choice.
                                                                                                                I guess what I'm trying to get at is the use of woman is synonymous with female in most people's minds. As my daughter grows up and mature's, she will be in the vernacular "entering womanhood". However, that phrase could now be percieved as trans-phobic.
                                                                                                                I guess it's the radicals on both sides of it that makes it so hard to actually find where the common ground is.
                                                                                                                There's the heeadcases that believe trans-rights activism is just another weapon of the patriarchy and there's the weirdo's who believe lesbians are transphobic for not being attracted to
                                                                                                                pre-op trans women.

I sincerly don't know enough about the subject and am open to being corrected in this. It appears to be a minefield of thought crimes and outrage.

Weird that nobody cares about the change going the other way
                                                                                                                I think the reason for this is from an equality point of view men are already pretty heavily favoured.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                  There's nice fat veins and variation in that. Blue cheese is a good descriptor. I like it.
                                                                                                                  I'd love to rip out the counter and put in a stone top. But the place came with a caesarstone counter and there nothing really wrong with it - other than I don't like it.

Not sure why, but all the best stuff comes out of Italy, maybe volcano related.
                                                                                                                  We had a lobby project in 2019, where the walls and floor were in Italian limestone (wall on left, cafe is marble).
                                                                                                                  There was so much require by boss was flowed to Italy to pick the stone at the quarry.

217023_00_N19_highresjpg-1980x1320.jpg

That's stunning Mellor.

Yep, there is some beauty that seems unique to Italy alright.

I'm going to ask the guy we're buying from can he pinpoint where it actually came from. Think it would be a nice thing to know and bore dinner guests about

Comment

Pubs i meant

I'll planning to be in the Odeon top of Harcourt Street. Give me a shout if you're around.
                                                                                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I made a pasta dish tonight, nothing special. Spaghetti with sliced beef. But the sauce was class. Olives, garlic, oregano, capers, and tomato sauce simmered down. It's the capers that got me - man they have such a great flavour. To my shame, I'd put off making the dish before because of confusing capers with anchovies. I feel I'll be putting capers in everything from now on.
                                                                                                                      Double good man, I'm doing that Ramsey chicken parm tonight that you linked a few weeks back. Currently making this as the sauce.

Comment

Tar.Aldarion off to the burnt city tomorrow. called them explaining my predicament, they told me they had a wheel chair and no one had booked it for that day so i booked it. i get a minder pushing me around the whole thing queue jumping. really looking forward to it!

Comment

This is it for anyone else interested..

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X