Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems likely that, absent a vaccine or other effective treatment, we are likely to be living with this disease for quite a while. The NY Times reported recently on two studies that described the waves of lockdown and "normality" that we are likely to be living through for the foreseeable future.

Covid-19 isn’t going away soon. Two recent studies mapped out the possible shapes of its trajectory.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
      You can commend them for their early actions and question whether they're now being too conservative at the same time.
      That is true. I just don't see much coherence or sense in the arguments towards an aggressive reopening. I think the Government should have earned enough trust to let them play out things as they deem fit at this stage. They have experts, data, and overall picture better than anyone. I can't really get behind let's just jump and see what happens especially given this time buys us invaluable data and information from what happens in other countries. It seems a no brainer to trail behind a little and let others be the guinea pigs. I am not saying they shouldn't be questions just that I can extend them a good bit of rope and good faith, given the management so far and the lack of an obvious way forward.

Opr

Comment

Wouldnt normally be a fan of the gaa top brass decisions but John Horan made loads of sense on the Sunday game this evening. Refreshing

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
          That is true. I just don't see much coherence or sense in the arguments towards an aggressive reopening. I think the Government should have earned enough trust to let them play out things as they deem fit at this stage. They have experts, data, and overall picture better than anyone. I can't really get behind let's just jump and see what happens especially given this time buys us invaluable data and information from what happens in other countries. It seems a no brainer to trail behind a little and let others be the guinea pigs. I am not saying they shouldn't be questions just that I can extend them a good bit of rope and good faith, given the management so far and the lack of an obvious way forward.

Opr
          Boards, especially that Covid forum, is hardly the place for coherence or sense. An awful place filled with awful individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
            Boards, especially that Covid forum, is hardly the place for coherence or sense. An awful place filled with awful individuals.
            Like any forum of its size, it has a high noise to signal ratio but you still have some good posters and debate going on at times. It can be extremely hard though in the likes of the Covid forum which is so busy and moving so quick to try and have anything approaching a constructive conversation. It does though give a much truer representation of the popular opinion that here. I agree in general and have mainly avoided it recently but got sucked into it tonight as I wasn't aware that opinion had shifted so dramatically.

Opr

Comment

That is true. It is a little mental to watch the shift play out in the microcosm of boards. The government response was widely supported with much admiration for the way in which it has been handled until recently. That seems to have changed with many now condemning the current continued restrictions and calling the Government clueless again. We should be following the UK example is one inspired suggestion. There seems to be some weird tribal shite of dividing people into lockdowners and free-us movements I don't know. People.

Opr

the whole world has developed into a binary state of us against them. Nothing is on a spectrum anymore (except of course sexuality).
              Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
                the whole world has developed into a binary state of us against them.
                This is a great quote and very true in some arenas (politics being the most obvious), not so much in others.
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                    I thought his dad was Dustin Hoffman. Lying focker.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                      Seems to have nailed me too.

Likely Career Title
                      101% Statistician
                      97% Mathematician
                      97% Actuary
                      95% Financial Analyst
                      95% Insurance Underwriter
                      94% Procurement Engineer
                      94% Price Analyst
                      94% Cost Estimator
                      94% Construction Cost Estimator
                      93% Patent Examiner
                      92% Utilities Estimator/Draughtsman
                      Bit disappointed in the quality of the forum that noone picked this up...

Comment

I noticed it but i thought the site was American, so logged it as 'murica.

I think it's Hong Konish though, so China

Comment

I recall pressing thanks on the post and getting an error.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                            I recall pressing thanks on the post and getting an error.
                            A beacon of hope!

Comment

Okja from the same writer/director of Parasite is also well worth a watch.

Opr
                              I was rewatching that (over skype haha) at the same time you were posting. Great film.

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                              Well.

Normal People is a fucking masterpiece.

Story, filming, acting all top notch.
                              Must give this a watch, know the main actor, is best buds with my acting brother, were in the same class.Anybody read the book?

Another tough day on lockdown, eating in the sun, "working".

Comment

Feels like Boris' speech last night has finally pushed UK media into something close to appropriate criticism of the Tories mismanagement of this for the first time.
                                Profit before people.

Comment

Being told to work an underpaid job in probably unsafe conditions is counted as "Freedom"

Sitting at home, keeping your family safe, is seen as some form of oppression

All while the employer class (whom they apparently despise), work from home and earn more money

And people are celebrating/demanding it...

Failing species, dying planet!

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                    Being told to work an underpaid job in probably unsafe conditions is counted as "Freedom"

Sitting at home, keeping your family safe, is seen as some form of oppression

All while the employer class (whom they apparently despise), work from home and earn more money

And people are celebrating/demanding it...

Failing species, dying planet!
                                    That's like me saying all Liverpool fans are kunts. Oh shit you are right . Forget it.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                          Personally feel like confinement has grown into something great. A whole lot of struggling to get things done in the first month, but now everything is absolutely flying - just a bang-on mental state.

Starting learning Chinese with the kid over the weekend. We haven't evolved much beyond Ni Hao, but still class. She seems to love it anyway.
                                          It would appear to be an incredibly, and ever more useful, skill to have.

Comment

Serenity now.

Comment

Personally feel like confinement has grown into something great. A whole lot of struggling to get things done in the first month, but now everything is absolutely flying - just a bang-on mental state.

Starting learning Chinese with the kid over the weekend. We haven't evolved much beyond Ni Hao, but still class. She seems to love it anyway.
                                              As if a Chinese shill like you isn't fluent already!

Comment

Couldn't make head-nor-tail of Watchmen when watching the first two episodes last night. I guess it starts to make sense at some point?!
                                                Watching the move might help. The TV show isn't a pure sequel but it explains the origins of some of the characters

Comment

The written Russian language i.e the written 'Slavic language' is written with Greek letters. Why?.

Comment

I see some very silly young lad from Tralee decided to start racially abusing Ian Wright by DM. Wright posted it on Twitter and didnt take long for his hometown/school/GAA club and place of work to be shared. Say he's regretting his "bit of fun" about now.

Comment

Saw that. He changed all his profiles and made them private pretty fast. Still reported them and some wan found his mother and sent a message. She said she was made aware and is dealing with it so hopefully shes the good sort. What even enters someone's head to say that shit

Comment

You couldn't be up with the Mitchell's crowd. Actually pretty sure he was a big deal in the slave trade.

Comment

Seems irresponsible for someone of Wrights fame to out a kid like that. Surely dealing with it privately is the right course of action.

I'd say a solid % of those things are friends or family hacking the persons account for "lols"
                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                            Seems irresponsible for someone of Wrights fame to out a kid like that. Surely dealing with it privately is the right course of action.
                                                            Yeah, privately engaging with the racist is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                              Yeah, privately engaging with the racist is the way to go.
                                                              Private as in report it to the relavant authorities first.

Just feels a bit uncomfortable that he could be destroying a young kids life when there's a much greater than zero chance it wasnt even him
                                                              Profit before people.

Comment

Private as in report it to the relavant authorities first.

Just feels a bit uncomfortable that he could be destroying a young kids life when there's a much greater than zero chance it wasnt even him
                                                                meh, zero sympathy unless you have actual evidence of same. He looks old enough to know Wright from Wrong (couldn't resist).

Comment

2 Wrights dont make a white. Or do they.
                                                                  SPOILER

Comment

Hacked me bollix.

Deal with it privately me bollix too.

Little cunt.
                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                      The written Russian language i.e the written 'Slavic language' is written with Greek letters. Why?.
                                                                      It's quite a different alphabet, even though that's where it came from.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                        Hacked me bollix.

Deal with it privately me bollix too.

Little cunt.
                                                                        Whys hacked so hard to fathom? Idiots do that type of thing for "banter" on friends accounts all the time. People tend to go way more OTT in that scenario than they would under their own name or face.
                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Whys hacked so hard to fathom? Idiots do that type of thing for "banter" on friends accounts all the time. People tend to go way more OTT in that scenario than they would under their own name or face.
                                                                          Because in those scenarios accounts don't get hacked. Phones get picked up while the owner is gone to the jacks. In a pub usually I would guess.

Could of course be breaking the lock down and hanging out with a load of friends in a field, and soneone pick pocketed his phone to ruin his life by randomly selecting Ian Wright to racially abuse.

Could have happened.
                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

It's quite a different alphabet, even though that's where it came from.
                                                                            The slavs never had a written language. Only spoken. But when a Christian missionary was sent there and noticed that this was the case he said he'd invent them a written language himself. The missionarys name was Cyril and he chose Greek as the script as Greek was the true language of the early church before Latin. The Russian and Eastern European scripts are now known as Cyrillic after St Cyril.

Comment

Thought Dickie Rock was dead when he was trending on twitter

Comment

I'd say a solid % of those things are friends or family hacking the persons account for "lols"
                                                                                No chance he was hacked but dealing with it privately and telling his parents or siblings rather than all over the internet.

Kid has a long time to grow up and this will be with him for a lot longer.

Little shit comments are fair enough but it just seems like a nuclear response

Comment

One valid reason for the nuclear option is that it should deter many others from attempting similar. I am not sure if this boy as collateral damage is acceptable to that end.

Opr

Comment

I'd put nothing past the horrible shits these days be him guilty or his idiot friends setting him up but seen as we are quick to assume the truth , I'm assuming Ian Wright is loving this .

Comment

I mean what age is he? 17-19?? Even assuming guilt he could be just a product of his environment, may have a massively racist parent(s). Look at documentaries like Louis Theroux's Westboro Baptist Church for how impressionable otherwise bright kids can be to being brainwashed all their lives by unhinged elders.

Does he deserves to be punished, most definitely. Does he need to be educated, most definitely. Does he need every loon on the internet gunning for him and his life destroyed? Not for me.
                                                                                      Profit before people.

Comment

I mean what age is he? 17-19?? Even assuming guilt he could be just a product of his environment, may have a massively racist parent(s). Look at documentaries like Louis Theroux's Westboro Baptist Church for how impressionable otherwise bright kids can be to being brainwashed all their lives by unhinged elders.

Does he deserves to be punished, most definitely. Does he need to be educated, most definitely. Does he need every loon on the internet gunning for him and his life destroyed? Not for me.
                                                                                        Just as well for him (guilty or not) that we are still in lockdown with his mothers name and retail workplace named aswell. Things grow legs very fast these days on the internet.

Comment

Bit of an overreaction all right. It's only flaming Dickie Rock. Johnny deffo regrets it though.

Comment

As a species, we're fucked - below is two stories from today, the 2nd way worse than the first to be fair.

1)

The trees where I live are shedding lots of sap or some kind of gunk and it's pretty much impossible to park anywhere on the road where it doesn't get all over the car. There is a self service jet spray in the garage a few minutes from where I work so I popped around at lunch to clean the car. I asked and paid for a 12 minute cycle. Go outside and enter the code, invalid code, try it again, invalid code. I walk back into the shop (approx 90-120 seconds after paying) and go to the same person and tell them the code is coming up as invalid.

Her : Is that for the jet wash?

Me : Yes, the jet wash.

Her : The jet wash is out of service.

Me : I just got this a minute ago?

Her : *looks at me blankly for a few second* Do you want a refund?

Me : Yeah, if it's not working, I'd like a refund please.

2)

The lad that lives in the place beside me moved home when the lockown kicked in so there has been nobody there for 8 weeks. Yesterday and Saturday, we heard people doing work inside. I said to Mrs Lao that they were probably going to rent it out seems as nobody was using it, even just as a short term let.

Sure enough, this afternoon, a couple drop off a youngish look fella, probably mid 20's with a suitcase. The couple don't go in but just dropped him to the door. A few minutes later the lad is out on the balcony on his phone on loudspeaker. He's telling his mates, he's just off the plane and in quarantine and how he's delighted he's landed in a sweet place becuase he could have ended up anywhwere. He then starts to makes plans to meet up with them in a hour or two so they can come back and hang out with him.

I mean, What.The.Actual.Fuck?

Comment

Andrew Cotter has won Twitter during Covid.

Profit before people.

Comment

That Ian Wright thing is difficult. I'd generally advocate not outing the guy publicly (is he <18?) and I do think there's a significant chance it wasn't him. That said, what was said was so fucking brutal. Tough to apply the second chances, we all make mistakes when we're young, kid's whole life is ahead of him etc line of thinking after reading what was said.

starting doing similar recently. Not much interest in any written stuff so have just started trying to repeat phrases. Not the most efficient way of going about it I'm sure. Let me know how you find it or if there's any resources you'd recommend. Seems an extremely up-hill battle even now, the tones make me feel like it'll be tough for it to ever be of any practical use.
                                                                                                Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

...

Comment

#

LOL's would ya GTFO

Why should he have to waste a seconds thought on scum like that?
                                                                                                    If its a hack or a mental breakdown or whatever then come out and own it straight away.

The tolerance that casual racism gets is incredible, people have absolutely no idea of the depth of harm it is doing.
                                                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

...

Comment

Handed himself into the Gards. Seems the mother is a good sort at least.

Comment

...

Comment

Its a dangerous dangerous game folks. It is absolutely guaranteed that someones kids on here will do something internet-awful in due course. Lets not feed the idea of the masses as the arbiter of these things. If someone is under 18 (which I think he is) then we should simply pay it no attention. Full stop really. If there's something criminal then let the appropriate places deal with it. Don't comment on it, don't be part of that game.
                                                                                                            definitely agree with this. Also agree with The Situation that being a product of his environment is likely a big factor - (although this raises a whole other question, I can't fathom how a kid from Kerry could develop this kind of hatred. The internet and poor upbringing I suppose).

I'm just struggling with how extreme it is. It's not like he called someone a prick on twitter.

I'll also admit I laughed when he mentioned fat Ronaldo. What a bizarre thing to add to the exchange. *racist abuse* *I hate you* *I'd kill you if I had the chance* *oh, and btw, fat Ronaldo got injured and he's still a way better player than you, so good luck sleeping with that at night!*
                                                                                                            Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Pretty handy get-rich-quick strategy. Have a pal write loads of racist stuff to Wright. Gets published. Have some sort of alibi to show you couldn't have posted the things. Defamation lawsuits to the end of days. A nice alternative to the LC that he was probably going to be sitting.
                                                                                                              Not that the above is actually what happened (he wrote the racist abuse himself) but T&Cs do apply here:

You are responsible for safeguarding your account, so use a strong password and limit its use to this account. We cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with the above.
                                                                                                              I imagine your play above would result in you being laughed out of court, with costs awarded against you.

Kinda strange that people would be looking out for the person who wrote the vile abuse. I am perplexed. Hopefully he learns something from all this.

Comment

Call me old-fashioned but when presented with clear evidence of the most public kind that someone is a racist idiot, then I tend to conclude that they are demonstrably a racist idiot.

Used to be called an open and shut case.

I really don't get why anyone would argue otherwise. Especially engaging in some kind of victim shaming e.g. 'he didn't have to publicly call him out'. Well actually that is his right and privilege here - there is no reason to put up with that kind of nonsense in the year 2020.

Comment

Call me old-fashioned but when presented with clear evidence of the most public kind that someone is a racist idiot, then I tend to conclude that they are demonstrably a racist idiot.

I really don't get why anyone would argue otherwise. Especially engaging in some kind of victim shaming e.g. 'he didn't have to publicly call him out'. Well actually that is his right and privilege here - there is no reason to put up with that kind of nonsense in the year 2020.
                                                                                                                  If it were my son and he admitted it (or worse it had to be proved) i'd like to think i'd personally fly him over to London once travel restrictions were lifted and ask him to repeat what he said to Ian Wrights face. Then again thats easier said from the outside.

Comment

Its not shaming or victim blaming. Unless he first did rigorous checks that the lad in question was indeed the author of the vile abuse then he's running the risk of putting someone innocent at a vulnerable age under severe mental health strain.

And even if/when its confirmed it was that kid, his life is utterly ruined. Theres probably sex offenders who'd have more obscurity and opportunity in life than him now. Maybe he or you feel that that's fair game. I just feel at his age there was a better way of dealing with it.
                                                                                                                    Last edited by The Situation; 11-05-20, 22:11.
                                                                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

his life is utterly ruined.
                                                                                                                      A/ It's not

B/ Whatever problems it causes him is as nothing to the damage that people like him do day in day out.

Fuck him, he'll do his fifteen minutes of twitter IG villainy and if his mammy can get him to cop the fuck on he might even come out of it better than he went in, but 1.05 he'll still be a scummer for the rest of time.

Comment

The Tory government is leading the UK into something horrible.
                                                                                                                        You'd have thought they couldn't fuck things up wore than brexit

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X