This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
    i called a teacher a cunt and a whore (she used to sleep around with students) because she fucked up my uni applications, and I didn't get a single interview with a UK uni (other than cambridge which i royally fucked up ).

I got expelled...again.
    No?

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
      that's brilliant!

My youngest kid's best friend is half-Italian. One day when they were in junior infants, she was round at our place and I asked her could she speak Italian.

So she started rabbiting on in Italian with my youngest looking at her in wonder like she was an alien from outer space (as she somehow had previously missed the fact that her friend was bilingual). The best though was the complete shift into operatic levels of hand gestures, exaggerated facial expressions and talking very loud and fast.

Comment

The grandkids (5&3) had their first sleepover with us here last night. How do people do this full time, apparently 6.30am is time to wake up and breakfast at 7.

Comment

Gotta pray for teachers of underperforming children with entitled parents.

From what I'm hearing a lot of schools will be using external software programs that tracks grades and has an algorithm to predict LC results. Prob has some weight built in for a certain improvement from mocks to LC.
          Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
            The grandkids (5&3) had their first sleepover with us here last night. How do people do this full time, apparently 6.30am is time to wake up and breakfast at 7.
            once they hit 13, that am becomes pm

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
              wat
              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                that's brilliant!

My youngest kid's best friend is half-Italian. One day when they were in junior infants, she was round at our place and I asked her could she speak Italian.

So she started rabbiting on in Italian with my youngest looking at her in wonder like she was an alien from outer space (as she somehow had previously missed the fact that her friend was bilingual). The best though was the complete shift into operatic levels of hand gestures, exaggerated facial expressions and talking very loud and fast.
                It's gas, you're right it appears to be actually built into the language in some interesting but hilarious way.

Comment

I've been showing that to all the family, we have a 15 month old who is well on her way to out gesticulating that kid !

Her main gesture though is the arm slap that says 'gimme more food,pronto'

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

that's brilliant!

I worked with a girl from Listowel who lived and worked in Spain for years . When she spoke in English she was plain Jane but when she spoke in Spanish along with the mannerisms she became HAWT.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                      My sister's English teacher hated her for no reasons except his own pettiness. She never got higher than a C on any assignment in his class. She got an A1 in her actual exam.
                      My maths teacher was the vice principal of the school

Spent two years telling me I was going to fail

I spent two years ignoring him as he was a shit teacher

I got the only A in the whole school

Only pass maths ...for stupid reasons, but still, (original version,not the 1+1 version)

That would have been my shit engineering degree up the swanny

Which might have been a good thing, long run

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                        First of all that leads to no first years in university. Secondly where do all the 5 year olds due to start school go?
                        First of so what if there is no first years? what Uni/Colleges cant contract teaching services, they still have 2/3/4th and what ever masters class its one year

everyone still moves up a year... 2 6th years ok it will be a balls but it is only 1 year you are affecting not everything there is a point this year about every having to do the ty year and let 5th years who want to re-sit 5th the year let them... this would also level out 6th year problem

I mean that solution is going to be a lot easier that what they are suggesting! I would have been shot on the step of my school for my leaving result if the teachers had to decide on it!

Anything is better than this idea

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

No?

It would be interesting to see how many other students she slept with before finding the one!

Comment

Originally posted by Valor View Post
                              Anybody know somewhere online I could get cheap small dumbbells or adjustable dumbbells delivered? Checked a few places via google but cant find anything in stock or that looks reasonable
                              I saw ones in Mr price you fill them with something, they were plastic?
                              Her sky-ness
                              © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
                                First of so what if there is no first years? what Uni/Colleges cant contract teaching services, they still have 2/3/4th and what ever masters class its one year

everyone still moves up a year... 2 6th years ok it will be a balls but it is only 1 year you are affecting not everything there is a point this year about every having to do the ty year and let 5th years who want to re-sit 5th the year let them... this would also level out 6th year problem

I mean that solution is going to be a lot easier that what they are suggesting! I would have been shot on the step of my school for my leaving result if the teachers had to decide on it!

Anything is better than this idea
                                So you've got approx 33% spare capacity across the whole University system one year that goes to waste, and the following year you've got 2x students competing for x places? Totally unworkable.

Comment

So you've got approx 33% spare capacity across the whole University system one year that goes to waste, and the following year you've got 2x students competing for x places? Totally unworkable.
                                  University in its traditional sense seems pointless now anyway.

Why not close them all and teach everyone online? If Hitch is the best Finance prof in the world and you're the best physics prof, just put your courses online and you each teach 10 million students (or whatever) per anumn.
                                  Much more efficient and a better standard of teaching. Cheaper too in terms of tuition and other costs.

Then reuse the campuses as something useful.

Comment

Why not close them all and teach everyone online? If Hitch is the best Finance prof in the world and you're the best physics prof, just put your courses online and you each teach 10 million students (or whatever) per anumn.
                                    Much more efficient and a better standard of teaching. Cheaper too in terms of tuition and other costs.

Science students spend about 30-40% of their degree in the lab actually doing stuff. For the lecture stuff, proper teaching isn't just talking at people for 50 minutes it's a conversation, and one with much walking around the room and using various props to illustrate concepts. Online teaching is just a backup from my point of view tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                      Gotta pray for teachers of underperforming children with entitled parents.

From what I'm hearing a lot of schools will be using external software programs that tracks grades and has an algorithm to predict LC results. Prob has some weight built in for a certain improvement from mocks to LC.
                                      Oh yeah, the Dept of Education are going to come up with some hot shit AI based software, in a month, to churn out near flawless predictions.

Like the lovely bug in the Covid case management software. Reads in file. If positive send letter A else send letter B, because the result set is only positive or negative. Then results start coming in from Germany in similar file format, but with three possible results, positive, negative and inconclusive.

All inconclusive results got sent negative letters because the Irish software was programed for two results. On retest many of the inconclusives were positive but then they already had their negative letter.

It would be better left to humans but we will be told it will be done by computers and 'algorithms' because it gives the impression of impartiality.
                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Ok Im not saying there wont be challenges but you are concentrating the problem into 1 area where you can focus resources, Vs that against years of people complaining and lawsuits against the state for poor billy's leaving cert results and he could have been a doctor even though he is as dumb as a bag of rocks!!

Or go back to the start of the problem, next Sept the 5 years stay at home... all you have done is delayed by 1 year which in the scheme's of a global pandemic is not that big a deal

lol though college lecturer saying that they can't be put out by this... bangs of the publican's wanting to come back 6 weeks earlier!

Comment

Couldn't agree more. Continuing with a knowledge transfer paradim from the early 19th century or earlier, in our information age, beggers belief.

The worst part of it is the lottery of getting a crap or a great teacher when the content delivery should really all be standardised.

Just get them all using something like Duolingo for all subjects.

This is ideal world stuff unfortunately and a million miles from the debate du jour.
                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I wouldn't be put out. I teach a first year course that I'd happily take a year off from!

Comment

Science students spend about 30-40% of their degree in the lab actually doing stuff. For the lecture stuff, proper teaching isn't just talking at people for 50 minutes it's a conversation, and one with much walking around the room and using various props to illustrate concepts. Online teaching is just a backup from my point of view tbh.
                                              So maybe keep a few labs and the students can rock up once a week and dissect frogs, explode stuff.

People can interact online, in fact some people might find that easier than traditional lecture hall settings.

OK, that's the future of education sorted. Anything else you want me to resolve today?

Comment

Comment

At what point in ye'er 'plug into the matrix' educational philosophy do people interact with other humans, make friends, shoot the breeze walking between classes, have a spontaneous chat with a professor in the hall that might motivate them or make the penny drop about a certain topic, or generally, you know, behave like humans?

Comment

from RTE

This summer's Leaving Cert exams have been cancelled, with Minister for Education Joe McHugh revealing details of an alternative plan.

All students are to be offered the option of accepting calculated grades instead of sitting Leaving Certificate written examinations at a later date in new plans announced this afternoon.

The decision was taken at Cabinet.

There will be four layers to the calculated grades system:

An estimation of scores and rankings by a student's teacher. The teacher will estimate a percentage mark for each student, and also their ranking compared to classmates. This will happen for each individual subject.
                                                    This will then be subjected to an in-school alignment process, in which subject teachers will work together to finalise their estimated marks and rankings.
                                                    The school principal will review and sign off on marks, and may return estimated ranking or marks to teachers for further consideration.
                                                    A process of national standardisation using statistical methods to ensure a common national standard is applied.
                                                    Minister for Education Joe McHugh said he had made every effort to run the Leaving Cert as close as possible to the way they were originally intended.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                      Code:
                                                      # Input data

x = Assignment_1_grade
                                                      y = Assignment_2_grade

# Commence Super AI code

LC_grade = (x+y)/2

Here's your problem with your code

Assignment_1_grade = 0
                                                      Assignment_2_grade = 0

because they don't exist... maybe 6th years got Xmas tests but where are they going to pull these figures out it's still going to be Miss X saying Johnny's a great lad in class B

What a time to be a teacher!!! money for fiddling results now!!

Comment

Just thinking this would be where Micheal O'Leary could really stick the boot into the government on a friday, come out and say he would never hire a person with this fake leaving cert!! There would be murder in the street!!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                              You should have done grammar chadley
                                                              Chadely needs a capital C then a full stop after.

See you in class m8.

Comment

wow, thats actually a cool system. Plus that the estimated grade is just an option, while students can opt for the real exam if they so wish (if I'm reading it correctly).
                                                                yeah and if they are not happy with the results go back and sit the exams and take the year!

Comment

At what point in ye'er 'plug into the matrix' educational philosophy do people interact with other humans, make friends, shoot the breeze walking between classes, have a spontaneous chat with a professor in the hall that might motivate them or make the penny drop about a certain topic, or generally, you know, behave like humans?
                                                                  Sure most academics are very clever idiots who couldn't survive half a day in the real world.

Best for young people not to get exposed to such types.

Comment

Relieve the stress of talking about academia by entering Alphabet Sheep IX here http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...63#post1132163

Only 7 entries and lot's of free loot to be had if you can become sheeplike.

Comment

More generally, I'm a bit apprehensive that if we follow your advice and myself and Zuut scandalously don't get the jobs as best profs in the world in our fields then we're done and dusto. So it seems like a woeful idea.
                                                                      That is concerning.

Luckily Zuut has a shiny future as either a drug smuggler pilot (I saw a recent documentary called Narcos and it looks like a lucractive career option) or indeed a barista in Coffee Or GTFO (now that you can rent a place on Grafton Street for €1 pa.a.).

You on the other hand are kinda fucked. No nice way of putting it.

Comment

This is pretty cool

Comment

Physics students do these things?

Comment

Just got to use the phrase 'you and Yi' (Yi being a person) in an IM

Feels like an important milestone in my life.

Comment

Seems like that worked out beautifully then.

Maybe he had metagame that your sister didn't quite appreciate.
                                                                              You'd be forgiven for thinking that if you'd never met this cunt
                                                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Sounds like your sister should hire him as a life coach tbf.

'You fat bitch, you'll never lose those 2 stone. Or learn Mandarin. Or get that promotion. Or murder that loser brother...woops'

Comment

Sure most academics are very clever idiots who couldn't survive half a day in the real world.

Best for young people not to get exposed to such types.
                                                                                  Hey, I survived a real job (barely) for 10 months I'll have you know.

Comment

Hey, I survived a real job (barely) for 10 months I'll have you know.
                                                                                    Elvis impersonator <> 'real job'

Comment

What cunt resulted in you ending up in Sheffield?

Comment

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
                                                                                        His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

...

Comment

It's needlessly risky that they're doing it but jeebus i'm looking forward to the UFC this weekend

Comment

...

Comment

I wouldn't be put out. I teach a first year course that I'd happily take a year off from!
                                                                                                Guess who got tenure recently ?
                                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

So
                                                                                                  • Spain has 221k cases and 26k deaths
                                                                                                  • Italy has 216k cases and 30k deaths
                                                                                                  • France has 175k cases and 26k deaths
                                                                                                  • Germany has 169k cases and 7k deaths
                                                                                                  • Russia has 188k cases and under 2k deaths

Are Russians just super-strong?

Comment

So
                                                                                                    • Spain has 221k cases and 26k deaths
                                                                                                    • Italy has 216k cases and 30k deaths
                                                                                                    • France has 175k cases and 26k deaths
                                                                                                    • Germany has 169k cases and 7k deaths
                                                                                                    • Russia has 188k cases and under 2k deaths

Are Russians just super-strong?
                                                                                                    Lots of people dying of pneumonia and falling out of windows.

Comment

Spent the last month trying to perfect this technique. A ridiculous amount of thinking work, for me at least. Was running it tonight on something with the brand new code and it seems to work like a beast. Going to mark this down as the big win of the confinement, albeit that I'm still only maybe 10% towards being fully fledged in the area compared to the pros.

Such a class skill - take as many millions of stories as you wish - feed them into the code and out pops what the stories are talking about. Limitless potential really.
                                                                                                      I'd be interested to see this code if you are willing to publish it, specifically the code used to scrape the posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                                        It's needlessly risky that they're doing it but jeebus i'm looking forward to the UFC this weekend
                                                                                                        Aw stop, I'm craving live sport now and would take a run of the mill fight night card. This is one of the best cards I can remember. Its very risky and it doesn't sit that well with me that its on but I won't deny that I'm looking forward to an evening of fights, cans and poker.

Comment

I've never got into using different passwords for sites. I recently decided to implement a password system of adding the first letter of the site I'm on to the beginning of my favourite password. Any reason why this is not a splendid idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                                            Never received so many cold contacts from wannabe clients querying our UFC data. Fantasy Sports companies, Betting Companies and Media Companies we’re craving some live sport (aside from KBO, US Horse Racing and NASCAR then starting next week ha)

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                              I've never got into using different passwords for sites. I recently decided to implement a password system of adding the first letter of the site I'm on to the beginning of my favourite password. Any reason why this is not a splendid idea?
                                                                                                              Just use a password manager like lastpass and you'll never look back.

Comment

Use lastpass and you don't need to remember passwords! I believe using 3 or 4 random words for passwords are some of the hardest to crack.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
                                                                                                                    Lots of people dying of pneumonia and falling out of windows.
                                                                                                                    Just journalists in the latter category.

Awful profession for having nasty accidents in Russia. Hard to get insurance.

Comment

I now have Lastpass on my laptop and phone.

Now, should I have a shower or make dinner first?

Comment

what if some sites have the same first letter?
                                                                                                                        What I did was create a pattern like $$billsyo*sitename*tittys!!

obviously a password vault is probably the best option for you.
                                                                                                                        Then you just need to remember one pw
                                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Just journalists in the latter category.
                                                                                                                          Three doctors have fallen out of hospital windows recently.
                                                                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X