This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was reading about Seth Rogans new movie
    where an immigrant gets preserved in a pickle jar for 100 years in new york and then meets his great great grandson, also played by Seth Rogan.

The source story is fucking magnificant
    One day at work I fall into brine and they close the lid above me. When the lid is finally opened, everybody is dressed strange.
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
      https://science.sciencemag.org/conte...cience.abc3517

Covid study using french data. Authoritative.

Grim read. They estimate 4.4% of French population has been infected. So if the French just let the virus run wild, we're talking ~600k deaths if everyone caught it.

The lads on boards are on the wrong side of this thing. Hopecasting the way they want things to be. It’s the other way.
      Are you concerned for French lives or is it an extension of your personal anxiety about yourself or someone close to you contacting it? Always fascinated by where people genuinely turn on or off the sympathetic tap with regards mass fatalities. Does it stop with immediate family, wider family or friends circle, all Irish people, all Europeans, all first world lives or just generally anyone?
      Do the millions of children who lose their lives a year by largely avoidable hunger/malnutrition related causes evoke a similar level of despondance through your daily life or does the out of sight nature lessen the concern/care?
      Profit before people.

Comment

punditarena.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, punditarena.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

18/21

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
          Lenny Abrahamson rarely let's you down, phenomenal body of work he has.
          It’s unfortunate that the latter half of the series has been directed by some jobber TV director from the U.K. Expecting the quality to drop appreciably.
          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
            Are you concerned for French lives or is it an extension of your personal anxiety about yourself or someone close to you contacting it? Always fascinated by where people genuinely turn on or off the sympathetic tap with regards mass fatalities. Does it stop with immediate family, wider family or friends circle, all Irish people, all Europeans, all first world lives or just generally anyone?
            Do the millions of children who lose their lives a year by largely avoidable hunger/malnutrition related causes evoke a similar level of despondance through your daily life or does the out of sight nature lessen the concern/care?
            The conclusion is extensible to any jurisdiction. The estimate would effectively double expected all cause mortality for France in a normal year. So I take the conclusions as directly relevant to Ireland’s Public Health approach.

The rest of your post is a trite bit of whataboutery, but I certainly vote for politicians advocating for equality and redistribution towards the less fortunate in our society. I would obviously suggest you do the same.
            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
              It's kinda mad that the deaf community had the opportunity to overcome the flaw with spoken languages and design a language that was truly universal - would have surely given it a unique selling point even compared to spoken language, and instead chose to mimic the weakness of spoken languages.
              Sure, everyone thinks in English
              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

The rest of your post is a trite bit of whataboutery,
                  I fully agree re triteness, but its lack of originality doesn't diminish the issue, and the fact it still remains the problem it is in 2020 demonstrates how we can just crack on contentedly despite avoidable devastation, so I find it hard to be overly outraged at those who chose to do that with regards early lifting of restrictions.
                  Profit before people.

Comment

The rest of your post is a trite bit of whataboutery.
                    Maybe whataboutery in the context of replying to you, but it is quite thought provoking imo.
                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                      Maybe whataboutery in the context of replying to you, but it is quite thought provoking imo.
                      Well Lazare, while I disagree with your opinion in this case I’d die for your right to express it.

But I don’t find ‘what about the starving African babies’ particularly thought provoking myself as a response to the topic at hand.

Comment

Well Lazare, while I disagree with your opinion in this case I’d die for your right to express it.

But I don’t find ‘what about the starving African babies’ particularly thought provoking myself as a response to the topic at hand.
                        I think the "what about the African babies" is almost never a good one. Unusually, it could be here but that depends on the meaning of your initial post. You were appear to be extrapolating from the Science report and the French position to a potential Irish mortality issue. If that's correct then Situation and Lazare are entirely wrong to raise that argument.

If you were expressing a genuine concern for excess deaths in France then the African Babies argument actually carries some weight for once.
                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Always found it an interesting question too. Care-o-meter drops off very quickly for me as the degree of separation increases.

Also curious whether people in favour of wealth re-distribution would like to have it seen through to its conclusion and live in a hut.

Comment

Found a 22cm cuttlefish bone on the beach today. Claiming as some kind of record.
                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                              Also curious whether people in favour of wealth re-distribution would like to have it seen through to its conclusion and live in a hut.
                              Thats an absurdist position though. People in favour of wealth re-distribution are in favour of an equitable distribution of assets and wealth. Not reducing everyone to penury. That's like saying that people in favour of taxation believe ultimately that people should turn over 100% of their income.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                That's like saying that people in favour of taxation believe ultimately that people should turn over 100% of their income.
                                Everyone's in favour of taxation, as long as someone else is paying it.
                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

But is it not the case that if you split the entire wealth of the world among the population you end up with a pittance per person? Taxation is a sliding scale but equality has a fixed definition, at least in my line of work!

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                    Everyone's in favour of taxation, as long as someone else is paying it.
                                    Have everyone on the same level as long as that's my level or above
                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Was more the, immediate family being ground zero, how far out does your grief/sympathy ripple that I found interesting to think about.

Comment

Wasn't really considering the topic at hand tbh. Or African babies, ironically enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                          I think the "what about the African babies" is almost never a good one. Unusually, it could be here but that depends on the meaning of your initial post. You were appear to be extrapolating from the Science report and the French position to a potential Irish mortality issue. If that's correct then Situation and Lazare are entirely wrong to raise that argument.

If you were expressing a genuine concern for excess deaths in France then the African Babies argument actually carries some weight for once.
                                          I’ve already clarified that this is about its potential relevance generally, and I’d hoped the nature of the post I was responding to in the first instance clearly indicated that.

Comment

It’s unfortunate that the latter half of the series has been directed by some jobber TV director from the U.K. Expecting the quality to drop appreciably.
                                            On ep 9, has dropped off a good bit. 12 eps is way too much for this. Not really too pushed how it plays out now to be honest

Comment

Comment

African babies and French citizens are one thing but young widow's and innocent civilians are another thing altogether when their slaughter serves the political cover employed by mafia bosses for their own enrichment
                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Somebody on here recommended Thai Spice years ago, have been a dedicsted patron since and spread the word. It's finally coming up milhouse.

Comment

For all the people having a melt down about how callous people can be welcome to the majority of human history, people just had to deal with random and capricious death and move on, time to realise Stephen pinker was talking out his ass and that you’ve been mollycoddled by a few different lottery wins (oil, antibiotics, the mid century crop yield revolution, geography) not human ingenuity

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                      you’ve been mollycoddled by a few different lottery wins (oil, antibiotics, the mid century crop yield revolution, geography) not human ingenuity
                                                      What are they if not the product of human ingenuity?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                        What are they if not the product of human ingenuity?
                                                        Plenty of blind luck and one timeness involved
                                                        We will never replace oil in terms of a way to keep ourselves in the style we have become accustomed to, no matter how many fuzzy heartwarming adds about wind and solar power they make
                                                        And I use the term lottery wind to mean we have blown the time these things bought us , mostly just added extra mouths to feed

Comment

Although one area where human ingenuity has flourished on this crisis is on finding ways to make the graffiti murals that pop up in Dublin even more cringe then normal

Comment

I remember a couple of years ago when they introduced the requirement that menus have allergen ingredients listed, it resulted in a change in there being a wide range of options for vegetarians in Thai Spice to zero options once you saw what was actually in their dishes.

If you have been going Tar then I guess they have changed their menu since.

Comment

I like that I knew PSV58 when he didnt hate every single thing in the whole world.

9am on, I think a Monday Morning stuffing notes into an old poker machine in what was then the White Horse early house. Good times.

Comment

I detest comedies however The wrong missy Netflix had me in stitches.

Really enjoyed it fucking Hillarous. Main character kinda reminds me of me
                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                  I detest comedies however The wrong missy Netflix had me in stitches.

Really enjoyed it fucking Hillarous. Main character kinda reminds me of me
                                                                  Saw 1st 10 mins of it and had to turn off. Complete drivel.
                                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                    I remember a couple of years ago when they introduced the requirement that menus have allergen ingredients listed, it resulted in a change in there being a wide range of options for vegetarians in Thai Spice to zero options once you saw what was actually in their dishes.

If you have been going Tar then I guess they have changed their menu since.
                                                                    Generally you just ask a place to prepare the dish vegan and they are happy to (particularly easy in Asian places), once you are happy they know what that means. In Thai Spice usually it just means soy sauce instead of oyster sauce. These days it's easier again as in general a lot of places now proffer their veganess (probably because of people like me asking for adjustments), even my local Indian Namaste advertise dishes can be made Vegan... and they are not exactly with it, they have a cutout from a paper on their counter from decades ago, about a comely buxom wench or something that worked there. One day we were in there and I saw a friends delivery being prepared, as it had his name/address/order on the receipt, had a good aul time freaking him out asking about his dinner. Anyway, I digress.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                      Saw 1st 10 mins of it and had to turn off. Complete drivel.
                                                                      The key is give it 30 mins.. I was same
                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Emmm, I don't even know what to say about this.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is pushing forward with an amendment that would let the FBI collect records on Americans' web-browsing and search histories without a warrant this week.

McConnell proposed the amendment as part of the renewal of the 2001 Patriot Act, The Daily Beast first reported. The Senate is voting on amendments this week.
                                                                        Mitch McConnell is pushing the Senate to pass a measure that would let the FBI collect Americans' web-browsing history without a warrant

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                          This piece has a large * attached. No reopening yet in Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia i.e. the 3 biggest cities, and no indication of when they might be allowed either.

Still at phase 0 in the municipalities, so while the international headline is 'Spain is reopenin g' there are massive caveats attached. Latest is that the current emergency period will be extended to the end of June.

edit: an example of the depth of restriction is that the lottery (including euromillions) has been suspended in Spain since March 15th, they are talking about maybe letting people play again from next week or the week after.

All to avoid people exchanging money/paper and queuing in small local shops.
                                                                          We went into phase 1 on Monday, bars were allowed to open but only outside seating for 50% capacity allowed, distanced tables, disinfect when customer leaves and before next person sits down etc. Not allowed enter the premises, take a seat outside and wait to be served. You can enter to go to the toilet as long as there is no-one else inside except staff member obv.

A lot of bars with small terrace space are not opening as it's not worth it.

It was a shit show in a lot of places so far, people putting up FB pics with arms around each other , so I wouldn't be surprised if we are back in phase 0 in a couple of weeks.

Entertainment not allowed (although a couple of the bigger bars did take a chance on that) so I don't know when I'll be back working. Exercise is allowed between certain times (my age group 6am - 10am and 8pm - 11pm) but if I want to go to the pub I can go anytime of day . Haven't bothered but I am seeing friends tomorrow at their house.
                                                                          Last edited by gorrrr72; 14-05-20, 02:06.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                                            I like that I knew PSV58 when he didnt hate every single thing in the whole world.

9am on, I think a Monday Morning stuffing notes into an old poker machine in what was then the White Horse early house. Good times.
                                                                            Unrecognised "rite of passage" those machines and early houses.

Comment

15/21

unforgivably missed

SPOILER

Delap

Townsend, Ireland, Kenna, McAteer and Kenny fucking Cunningham. Really liked Kenny as a player actually, very solid and reliable. Strongly dislike him as a pundit and coach now tho.
                                                                              Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                It's kinda mad that the deaf community had the opportunity to overcome the flaw with spoken languages and design a language that was truly universal - would have surely given it a unique selling point even compared to spoken language, and instead chose to mimic the weakness of spoken languages.
                                                                                What's the weakness you are getting at?

Every language as universal among those that know it.
                                                                                But languages are dying all the time. Eventually it will approach a universal language, or a handful of dominant languages.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post

If I remember correctly a lot of those notes were picked up in a mass all in blind for 1 or 200 quid last hand of the night in the Jackpot after a standard all weekend sesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                    What's the weakness you are getting at?

Every language as universal among those that know it.
                                                                                    But languages are dying all the time. Eventually it will approach a universal language, or a handful of dominant languages.
                                                                                    English (dom language) seems to be splitting into separate Urban dialects. Need subtitles sometimes . Big changes in let's say 1950s US/UK speak to now .

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                        English (dom language) seems to be splitting into separate Urban dialects. Need subtitles sometimes . Big changes in let's say 1950s US/UK speak to now .
                                                                                        We were probably the first to split from "The Queen's"

Unless you're telling us you speak the Queen's!?

A lot of urban language in places like US are based on our version of English not UK's

Ya Dig?

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

A lot of urban language in places like US are based on our version of English not UK's

Ya Dig?
                                                                                          What would a hooligan like you know?

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

Ya Dig?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                              What would a hooligan like you know?
                                                                                              Plenty enough...

Comment

Was surprised Steve Finnan wasn't there. I got a lowely 14

Comment

Anyway...the good stuff

Tory MP's share doctored videos from right wing group

Tory MP's get caught

Tory MP's delete tweets and accounts or switch to private as if that helps them

Comment

No 2 Son is doing a project that is trying to measure sentiment and reaction to playing a short excerpt from a game he's made

If anyone has 20 minutes to play it and answer the survey it would be a great help to them
                                                                                                    The game is designed for a gaming rig but for the purposes of the survey you can play it in a web browser (probably not on mobile), and don't need to have any experience playing games to try it out:

It takes a while to load into a browser but it runs quite smoothly for me once it does.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                        Dialects have always existed. You’re probably just getting old.

Imagine a farmer from Cornwall in the 60s trying to talk to a gangster from Chicago in the 20s? Or somebody from Scotland in the 70s trying to be understood by well anyone.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Imagine a farmer from Cornwall in the 60s trying to talk to a gangster from Chicago in the 20s? Or somebody from Scotland in the 70s trying to be understood by well anyone.
                                                                                                              Or anybody from anywhere trying to understand anybody on Last Chance U

Comment

Or an Irish person with a flat midlands accent trying it be understood by anyone in Alberta.
                                                                                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                  No 2 Son is doing a project that is trying to measure sentiment and reaction to playing a short excerpt from a game he's made

If anyone has 20 minutes to play it and answer the survey it would be a great help to them
                                                                                                                  The game is designed for a gaming rig but for the purposes of the survey you can play it in a web browser (probably not on mobile), and don't need to have any experience playing games to try it out:

It takes a while to load into a browser but it runs quite smoothly for me once it does.
                                                                                                                  done. very strange how they basically repeat every question

Comment

I think a lot of people hold China fully responsible for this pandemic. You'll see a lot of people move away from buying Chinese products. You'll see multiple troll farms set up to spread the word that x company has links to China and you shouldn't do business with them. Interesting times ahead for sure.
                                                                                                                    'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                                      Or an Irish person with a flat midlands accent trying it be understood by anyone in Alberta.
                                                                                                                      When I lived in the US I had to change my pronunciation of certain words. The one that stands out in my memory is four. I pronounced the r rather long and people didn't understand the word.
                                                                                                                      'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

I’ve already clarified that this is about its potential relevance generally, and I’d hoped the nature of the post I was responding to in the first instance clearly indicated that.
                                                                                                                        Yeah, it did. But others took it up wrong so I was just clarifying.

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X