This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
    on a related note, the local school called us with a cancellation for a place in this years enrollment. The had initially bumped her down the line due to her age but a chance meeting with a teacher there seems to have found a place

She's champing at the bit to go back to school but has vastly outgrown the playtime school of her current place.
    You dont see this version of the idiom much. I've only heard chomping but I'm sure both are used. Nice .

Comment

Originally posted by limpwhacker View Post
      Check out dzogchenbeara.com or.org can't remember which. Because of covid19 a lot of their sofferings are on line. There's a guy called Matt Padwick down there who teaches a style of yoga which incorporates meditation into the yoga. Haven't tried it myself but have had nothing but rave reviews from those who have. Sounds like it's exactly what you're after.
      Thanks for that, but I've found I'm not a fan of doing it online. I enjoy live sessions, learning and being able to do adjustments. Proper form is so important, and you really don't learn that from following someone online,especially if you're a beginner.

just to add also, that i'm really not into the meditation side of yoga, i just really enjoy the physical side of it
      Last edited by shrapnel; 12-05-20, 14:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        I know that's a typo but it's a great one (if like me you are old and inflexible)
        Bite me !! Of course it was a typo you pedantic sentient being. Lol. I'm 53 I suspect you are but a child by comparison. Good to know I have someone to correct my typos lol. Be happy safe and healthy in my city of birth.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            4yo was explaining how the app he wants can 'be got on Google Play or the Apple App Store'. They are fierce sponges for a catchy tagline!
            Around Xmas the mother put down the brand new phone I bought her, 3 yr old nephew, picked it up, unlocked it, downloaded a game and started playing before she copped on what he was at

He would have seen her unlock it once!

Sponges is one word for it

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
              You dont see this version of the idiom much. I've only heard chomping but I'm sure both are used. Nice .
              chumping

You don't hear the word chump used often enough imo

I guess you would say chimping?
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                Around Xmas the mother put down the brand new phone I bought her, 3 yr old nephew, picked it up, unlocked it, downloaded a game and started playing before she copped on what he was at

Sponges is one word for it
                probably tweeting racist abuse at former footballers
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                  Exactly. It's pretty galling hearing people immediately judge the victim for his behaviour. The type of language used in that message aren't just insults, they represent violence.
                  Agreed. I think this is different to someone shouting something ostensibly racist at a football match but where really the pretext is just any insult i.e. "black XYZ*", "tall XYZ", "ugly XYZ", "curly haired XYZ" etc. are effectively the one thing, as it's usually an idiot trying to shout abuse and it's whatever identifier comes to mind first. This is so much more sinister in its aggression and unequivocal racism, its actually hard to fathom.

On the original topic, I think it's still worthwhile discussing whether calling that person out is the right thing to do, in the same way you tell children to walk away from a fight, take the high ground etc. to my mind its not the same as victim blaming so much as thinking about the best outcome. If someone said "well Wright is worse for targeting a kid" that's one thing and clearly victim blaming, but someone questioning "not sure if wright should have gone down that route" is a bit different to my mind. More of a discussion on the best/most effective course of action. It in no way lessens the crime to show lenience to a perpetrator.

On a completely different topic a friend of mine works in criminal law and we were discussing the famous Irish case from Lucan last year and we compared an ~11 year old in Sweden who did the same thing, but because they were below the age of responsibility they were never tried and that person never came to the attention of police again. We were arguing whether you'd rather the child is set free and never offends again, vs. being convicted and brought through the criminal justice system and being a lifetime offender. Which is better for society, and risk of moral hazard, made for an interesting discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                    The general consensus here is that the approach the government has taken (re covid obv) is good right? What would you have done differently?
                    I'd have shut the country down weeks earlier. I'd have made it law to wear facemasks in urban areas, shops etc. I'd have put state quarantine in place for all people coming into the country.

I think we'd be out of it now if that had been done. I think it was quite clear in late February just how bad this thing was gonna get and how quickly it was spreading.

I still believe that everybody should be wearing facemasks and that we should have state quarantine for all incomers. Even when we get back to normal we need quarantine to prevent another wave.
                    'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by limpwhacker View Post
                      Check out dzogchenbeara.com or.org can't remember which. Because of covid19 a lot of their sofferings are on line. There's a guy called Matt Padwick down there who teaches a style of yoga which incorporates meditation into the yoga. Haven't tried it myself but have had nothing but rave reviews from those who have. Sounds like it's exactly what you're after.
                      DDP yoga is pretty good.
                      I try do one or two of them a week if not more.
                      I know some lads who absolutely swear by it

If this story can inspire someone you know, please share it with them!Arthur Boorman was a disabled veteran of the Gulf War for 15 years, and was told by his...
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                        On a completely different topic a friend of mine works in criminal law and we were discussing the famous Irish case from Lucan last year and we compared an ~11 year old in Sweden who did the same thing, but because they were below the age of responsibility they were never tried and that person never came to the attention of police again. We were arguing whether you'd rather the child is set free and never offends again, vs. being convicted and brought through the criminal justice system and being a lifetime offender. Which is better for society, and risk of moral hazard, made for an interesting discussion.
                        Well this is not something that can be generalised. Each case is unique. I think they need to be in custody as kids until such time as you are certain that they have genuine remorse for what they did and won't do it again.
                        'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                          Well this is not something that can be generalised. Each case is unique. I think they need to be in custody as kids until such time as you are certain that they have genuine remorse for what they did and won't do it again.
                          Absolutely, nothing clear about it and provides for good debate fodder.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                            I'd have shut the country down weeks earlier. I'd have made it law to wear facemasks in urban areas, shops etc. I'd have put state quarantine in place for all people coming into the country.

I think we'd be out of it now if that had been done. I think it was quite clear in late February just how bad this thing was gonna get and how quickly it was spreading.

I still believe that everybody should be wearing facemasks and that we should have state quarantine for all incomers. Even when we get back to normal we need quarantine to prevent another wave.
                            The mandatory facemasks on public transport or in shops seems like a no brainer. I'd say it will be in operation within the next few weeks and only isn't currently due to poor planning re supplies. We're in poor company when you compare to countries who haven't made it law at this stage.

No temperature checks at airports/ferry ports during Feb/March was another big mistake imo. Was very successful for countries that implemented it early.

Should have been stricter policing and big fines for anyone breaking quarantine. Some countries were militant from that regard.

We've been far from the worst country at dealing with it but definitely plenty of areas that could have reduced the spread significantly.
                            Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                              Anyone here do yoga regularly that may be able to speak about long term benefits?

I've started doing it pretty much daily for the last two weeks. Holy shit, it has been so good for my body! Its really helped with old sports injuries and stiffness. Nothing I tried before has been quite as beneficial. The biggest take away though is just general feeling of my core, hips, back, legs being loose and awake. Awake or activated is the only way I can describe it - just generally feel that my day to day movement isn't as restricted as previously. Probably the best its been since I was in my teens. Sitting at a desk is so much more comfortable than a month ago, just not comparable.

I'm not doing much, just 20ish minutes each morning before work or breakfast at weekends. Its basic enough stuff and I just follow a youtuber's 30 day routine. I only started this because I had been ridiculously sedentary the last few months and was afraid of getting injured running or getting back into S&C style training for GAA. Don't think I'll give it up now and there's a likelihood I'll keep it up as a daily routine. Fwiw there's not too much of the philosophical preachy stuff which has suited me. Link to youtuber below for the curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--jhKVdZOJM

You may hear the term "surrender to the pose" at some point and wondering wtf is that about.
                              You'll be struggling with a pose for weeks not really improving, getting frustrated with your lack of progress and sweating like Katie Price on Mastermind. The "surrender" is like a focused relaxation while still maintaining stretch and form and suddenly you are able to deeper into it with control. It's a great feeling and you will know it when it happens.

Had a longer post but keeps wiping it when I submit.

Keep us updated on progress!

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                You may hear the term "surrender to the pose" at some point and wondering wtf is that about.
                                You'll be struggling with a pose for weeks not really improving, getting frustrated with your lack of progress and sweating like Katie Price on Mastermind. The "surrender" is like a focused relaxation while still maintaining stretch and form and suddenly you are able to deeper into it with control. It's a great feeling and you will know it when it happens.

Had a longer post but keeps wiping it when I submit.

Keep us updated on progress!
                                I kinda get what you're on about. From a GAA background, stretching was always static and felt forced or like you were holding your breath. Catching on to what the breathing is about was something I really only spotted in the last couple of sessions. Once I was paying attention or switched on, each slow long exhale I'd realise I was just falling or dropping a little further into the position. Quite satisfying to see flexibility I never had before seemingly just "unlock" right in front of me.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                  DDP yoga is pretty good.
                                  I try do one or two of them a week if not more.
                                  I know some lads who absolutely swear by it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448
                                  I thought DDP yoga was a joke at first. Former pro wrestler, yoga, gullible fans, pyramid scheme were my initial thoughts. Happy to be completely wrong about it.

I remember seeing this guy on reddit a few years back. Incredible stuff altogether and fair fucks to him.

Comment

123.ie just sent a message saying I will be getting a €30
                                    1 for all voucher as reimbursement for car insurance.
                                    Policy is with RSA.

Think I paid 600 last year.
                                    Was paying 350 3 years prior to that but there was a massive hike the following year, then a significant hike,
                                    then a relatively modest hike.

TBH wasnt expecting anything.
                                    Still use the car for shopping every other day.

It's a little underwhelming but I supppse the max I could expect for 2 months would be €100. Not out of lockdown yet mind.

Do Tescos take 1 for all?

Comment

Ultra Spiritual Yoga TipsYogify your bad self with Bad Yogi apparel here: http://bit.ly/2bGQjENClaim Your free download of "7 Ways to Be More Spiritual Than ...

Comment

Fauci in front of the Senate today. I haven't seen the whole thing but he seems to be recommending keeping schools closed.

Opr

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Comment

You don't need to shut down the country. Just travel restrictions. Look at the likes of how Taiwan delt with it. If that doesn't stop with it then you go further.

You can attack it early without putting the whole country on furlough.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                You don't need to shut down the country. Just travel restrictions. Look at the likes of how Taiwan delt with it. If that doesn't stop with it then you go further.
                                                You kinda need to do both though. Hasn't some bender on a bender gone and infected a load of people in South Korea? The situation made worse, with people giving false names/ phone numbers because of old fashioned homophobia.

Comment

You can attack it early without putting the whole country on furlough.
                                                  Dont think having just travel restrictions would work. The amount of people that have ignored them anyway shows this imo. Can you imagine the travelling and chaos there would have been on the 2 bank holidays without a shutdown.

Comment

Actually got stopped at a check point this morning while I was on a frivolous journey. Garda just stopped me and looked me straight in the eye, and waved me on. I'm disappointed on not finding which enhanced version of reality I would have come out with

Comment

That story on BBC website about the UK rail worker that died from COViD after been spat on by a random person with COVID is really tragic. To think someone would do that on purpose is horrific.
                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

I'm talking about international travel restrictions, quarantining travelers from affected areas. They did it back in January and reduced disruption massively.

Comment

Personally I think they've done a good job, managing expectations, making sure those who are in need are getting help, making sure our hospitals were never overrun completely and now we can see the cases are falling a lot. Obviously it's not perfect and there are trade offs in everything they have to decide (for instance it is hard on people who are in a bad situation at home or have mental health issues, and there will be more of this with economic impact) but I think the lock down was a good idea done well, they've handled things in a fairly transparent manner and their phases of lessening restrictions seem reasonable to me.

I did like the treatment my friend got after being flown back to singapore by her government, quarantine in a hotel, everything provided. Maybe some more pushing of mask here but there may have been stock problems and I'm not really sure if the %difference would be much.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                            That story on BBC website about the UK rail worker that died from COViD after been spat on by a random person with COVID is really tragic. To think someone would do that on purpose is horrific.
                                                            Hopefully he gets done for murder or manslaughter or whatever is suitable for that kind of shite.

Comment

Got some info about work re-opening today. Going to be a total Health and Safety field day with one way systems in all buildings and all kinds of excessive nonsense that's going to continue beyond the time where you can go to shops and restaurants and play football with your mates. Those people really know how to wreck stuff.

Comment

I'm talking about international travel restrictions, quarantining travelers from affected areas. They did it back in January and reduced disruption massively.

Have you finally given up on the lie that Trump shut down travel from China in Jan

There was no chance of any western country shutting down all international travel in Jan or Perhaps it would have been the right thing to do, resistance would have been huge but the reality it was only those countries who had been badly affected by other recent viral outbreaks that were prepared to take those kind of actions.
                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Honestly based on the way we've controlled the disease in the general population here there is little evidence we needed to do anything more drastic than we did. I'm still sceptical that we even needed this duration of tighter restrictions. There is no reality in which Ireland could have avoided an outbreak once Italy got their dose.

The place everyone seems to have made a balls of it is nursing homes and other 'residential settings' as they seem to be calling them. As it seems every country has made a balls of these it seems to be the case that it's a failing of the systems we had in place for years rather than anything we could have done differently since the outbreaks started. Exception being the way they decided to move people in direct provision centres with cases to other centres with no cases which subsequently ended up infected.

The most interesting thing here in Ireland is how conservative our approach to reopening things is. It seems we are somehow months behind other countries that had much worse outbreaks than we had in terms of our relative timeline for opening things back up.

I'm still hoping it's some sort of fake out where they hope/expect to relax things faster than they are saying but the more I watch the HSE briefings in the evenings the more I think Tony Holohan (probably rightly) just sees his role as being to give the most risk-averse advice possible in terms of the hospitals getting overrun and letting someone else decide how to balance that with all the other concerns, while the government are just taking that advice as diktat even if it isn't intended to be.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                    all kinds of excessive nonsense that's going to continue beyond the time where you can go to shops and restaurants

I think a whole lot of retail is fckd and lots of them won't be opening up again medium term.

Places like Kildare village who charge enorous rents based on guaranteed footfall will find it impossible, how do you get capacity to required levels and remain profitable?

Comment

Comment

Comment

In terms of getting the academic year done, DCU have done a fantastic job imo. Now that it's time for the 'careful now' contingent to justify their existence we'll be squashed. Call from promotion came out this week...gonna apply because there probably won't be another for 5 years!

Comment

Are you sure on the bolded? Spain shut down a few weeks before and is only opening now, same with Italy. France two weeks before and only slowly reopening now. UK will take a small bit longer than Ireland to reopen. They're the only four with bad outbreaks I'm aware of, but seem to be following the exact same pattern as Ireland give or take a few days.
                                                                            As an example, Spain and Italy are reopening pubs, cafes and restaurants to some extent having had disastrous outbreaks. Here, where it has been very well controlled by comparison I won't be able to get a haircut for about another 10 weeks. Pubs won't reopen in any capacity for 12 weeks, 'best case'. Have we lost that much ground to Spain say?

Comment

Currently there are about 150 new cases a day afaik about a third are community transmission.
                                                                              Do we know anything about how those cases are typically being transmitted? Is the any backwards looking contact tracing going on?

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                  Currently there are about 150 new cases a day afaik about a third are community transmission.
                                                                                  Do we know anything about how those cases are typically being transmitted? Is the any backwards looking contact tracing going on?
                                                                                  One of the days last week they gave a breakdown and there were 22 non-residential cases. I agree with Keane that at that point they should've brought everything forward a week, but obviously with the caveat they have better data than me. At this stage there's a couple of dozen people picking it up in the supermarket, or through blindly ignoring the rules every day. There was a fine international game of basketball going on in Fairview Park on Saturday

Comment

When is the deadline for that btw? Just as one of the candidates for my position needs to be deemed appointable to get an equivalent internal promotion, and if the deadline is past by the time of the interview he will be going full-on in the interviews, while at the moment he is just shooting for second place.
                                                                                    Deadline is June 26th...but outcomes won't be for ages.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                      Hopefully he gets done for murder or manslaughter or whatever is suitable for that kind of shite.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                          Have you finally given up on the lie that Trump shut down travel from China in Jan
                                                                                          Pity he didn't extend it earlier.

The C.D.C. outlined how essential employees can go back to work even if they have been exposed. Scientists warn that the virus might not fade in warm weather.

Comment

...

Comment

I'm not attempting to be any more fixated on pubs than I would be in the normal run of events, although I should say I do all my drinking in beer gardens 12 months of the year.

Anyway,

Coronavirus: Italy allows bars, restaurants and hair salons to reopen from next week

Some 51% of the Spanish population will progress to Phase 1 of a four-step easing plan tomorrow in certain regions that met the necessary criteria.

These include the Canary and Balearic Islands where bars, restaurants and shops will open at reduced capacity, and museums, gyms and hotels will open their doors for the first time in nearly two months.

Other regions moving into Phase 1 include Galicia, Basque Country, La Rioja, Aragón, Cantabria, Murcia, parts of Valencia.

In Andalusia, the provinces of Almería, Jaén, Córdoba, Seville, Cádiz and Huelva are in Phase 1 while Málaga and Granada will remain in Phase 0.

We appear to have fallen 12 weeks behind these places despite the pandemic being maybe 16 weeks old (tops?) in Europe and having had a much more controlled outbreak.
                                                                                              Last edited by Keane; 12-05-20, 20:47.

Comment

Wow today's rebuke by Trump tops everything so far OMG What a baby.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Surely the speed in which a country comes in and out of lockdowns is very dependent on the ICU bed capacity and not risking putting a strain on that. Ireland way down the list of developed countries in that regard.
                                                                                                  Profit before people.

Comment

Progress..for someone who literally hasn't a clue what they are doing..

Big boys mechano.
                                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                      Surely the speed in which a country comes in and out of lockdowns is very dependent on the ICU bed capacity and not risking putting a strain on that. Ireland way down the list of developed countries in that regard.
                                                                                                      Right but the part of the point of the restrictions initially was to give us time to get agreements in place with private hospitals and to build our ICU capacity. They made a lot of noise about the success in getting our acute capacity up towards 500 beds several weeks ago. We now have 71 people in ICU and dropping consistently and this is after already having the virus run wild in the nursing homes.

Holohan has made reference on numerous occasions lately to our ICU numbers being close to half of the original capacity of the HSE, which is kind of weird when we are apparently spending a lot of money to more than double it.

Like is it a waste of money to double the ICU beds if we are planning to make our decisions based on the number we had in the first place?
                                                                                                      Last edited by Keane; 12-05-20, 21:04.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

I decided to Google conspiracy theories which turned out to be true. How did I now know about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                              Right but the part of the point of the restrictions initially was to give us time to get agreements in place with private hospitals and to build our ICU capacity. They made a lot of noise about the success in getting our acute capacity up towards 500 beds several weeks ago. We now have 71 people in ICU and dropping consistently and this is after already having the virus run wild in the nursing homes.

Holohan has made reference on numerous occasions lately to our ICU numbers being close to half of the original capacity of the HSE, which is kind of weird when we are apparently spending a lot of money to more than double it.

Like is it a waste of money to double the ICU beds if we are planning to make our decisions based on the number we had in the first place?
                                                                                                              Yeah maybe its not the optimum strategy but not sure anyone is fully sure, seeing how quickly the reproduction rate rises in likes of Germany over the coming weeks will be interesting. I feel it would be psychologically much worse to come out of lockdown and face going straight back in in a matter of weeks than it would in our scenario so perhaps its good we're not the Euro frontrunners on easing restrictions.
                                                                                                              Profit before people.

Comment

Just on this point. That pretty much means you'd also have shut down early for SARS and MERS before which also showed similar initial breakout patterns. So this would now be the third shutdown after two previous non-event shutdowns (that incidentally have probably added maybe 15% to government debt, and lost countless multinationals as they can't handle your over-active shutting down of companies every time someone in the world sneezes). No chance people would have obeyed this shutdown in that case. So, you've just killed everyone. Game over.
                                                                                                                I obviously lived through them both, can i really remember them ? Can I remember sars ripping through Northern Italy and people coming back from Italy infected ? Country's 3 weeks before us were suffering, yet, we were still in containment phase, as if this wasn't snowballing towards us like everyone else before us ?

Yes...we could have acted sooner and shut down faster.
                                                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                                  As an example, Spain and Italy are reopening pubs, cafes and restaurants to some extent having had disastrous outbreaks. Here, where it has been very well controlled by comparison I won't be able to get a haircut for about another 10 weeks. Pubs won't reopen in any capacity for 12 weeks, 'best case'. Have we lost that much ground to Spain say?
                                                                                                                  Gave myself a lockdown haircut today...wasnt pretty...
                                                                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                                    Yeah maybe its not the optimum strategy but not sure anyone is fully sure, seeing how quickly the reproduction rate rises in likes of Germany over the coming weeks will be interesting. I feel it would be psychologically much worse to come out of lockdown and face going straight back in in a matter of weeks than it would in our scenario so perhaps its good we're not the Euro frontrunners on easing restrictions.
                                                                                                                    I fully agree that its good we're not in the vanguard. I'm actually fine with being conservative too by the way I just compare the time lines of other places and can't get them to jive with ours at all.

Hopefully all will go well and in three weeks time we'll be sitting with low numbers and some best practises from other places and can accelerate things. There has to be some situation somewhere between 15% ICU capacity and 120% that doesn't involve 1.2 million people on income support and being the only country in Europe where you can't get a haircut.

Edit: interesting tweet on David Higgins twitter where in Denmark they R0 went up to 0.9 after they opened the schools and shops weeks ago but it's down to 0.7 again.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                      50 of the new cases today were in Roscommon - that looks like bulk testing in Castlerea Prison or Athleague Meat Factory?
                                                                                                                      It's Athleague meat factory. No surprise there, have heard similar stories from all over the country and abroad too.

Comment

wow Oleras - are you doing that yourself?
                                                                                                                        Yes, the step ladders are my helpers.
                                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

I haven't seen reopening of bookmakers mentioned at all - I assume they are Stage 5 with pubs? Maybe a stage earlier?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X