• Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        Where do you think the FDI going to go? .
        France's business-friendly environment and legendary streamlined bureaucracy will see it leap to the top of the queue for inward FDI.

One thing's for sure, if all tax factors were the same across the EU, nobody would actively choose to set up here.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

Comment

Irish government owed 13 billion from Apple and they don't want it.

There's me then paying my few bob in taxes and haven't the price of a pot noodle and a twix at the end of the month.

Comment

Comment

#lolcork

This brightspark is the Lord Mayor of Cork

Des Cahill gets about.

Comment

What country is better do you think? Obv only talking about services here, not some old-school heavy industry.
                    If I was Tim Cook? Slovenia.

Comment

I expect great productivity at North Korean meetings henceforth.

Ri was said to have been executed for falling asleep during a meeting chaired by Kim.
                      Fair enough imo, bet they're not dicking around on IPB in their meetings.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                          Wife just texted me to remind me that we're 14 years married today.

Oops. Some grovelling to do tonight.
                          Always forget you're old as fuck m8.
                          airport, lol

Comment

Comment

Hi Mum Lazare, i'm home!! Just wanted to let you know dem pesky terrrrists didn't blow up my planes or my hotels!

As an aside, don't ever , ever...EVER!!!! travel with Pegasus airlines

Was looking at this French school in Dublin as very possible we'll have to move back to Dublin in maybe two years due to the wife's work and the innanity of tax in France after you pass over about €100k family income (we're not there yet, but should be when the wife's work takes off). Nice to see the school is run along proper French lines with childcare available in the school until half six in the evening, and absolutely oblivious to the fact that religion exists based on the application form.

Think that should fully break the link with religion in the family chain, as we just won't tell the elder one she was baptised, and the younger one will obviously not set foot in a church absent the unfortunate demise of the elder generation.
                              that's where my kids went to school so PM me for any info. If you can, apply early as possible as it's very in demand, and can have a big waiting list.

Comment

Ryder cup 2016

Irish golf on the decline
                                1st Ryder cup team in a number of years to have no Irishman
                                You can take Rory out of that picture of Irishman as he nailed his allegiance to the queen long ago
                                Bring back Phillip Walton and flaming eamon Darcy

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                                  You can take Rory out of that picture of Irishman as he nailed his allegiance to the queen long ago
                                  Who cares

Comment

Irishtimes Paywall still coming up on Incognito for me in work. Is there something else i must do to get around it?

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

that's where my kids went to school so PM me for any info. If you can, apply early as possible as it's very in demand, and can have a big waiting list.
                                      It's been on the go a long time. I went to the national school beside it. Never saw anyone come in or go out of the french school. Probably witches.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                        It's been on the go a long time. I went to the national school beside it. Never saw anyone come in or go out of the french school. Probably witches.
                                        holly park?

plenty of hot French moms doing the pick ups should you care to visit for old times sakes!

Comment

Yup, and noted

Comment

yes, slovenia, of course, thats the crown jewel in internationalisation
                                            It's all about the cost base.

As someone once described Slovenia to me "in terms of competence they're German but in terms of cost they're Czech. Win\win."

Comment

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Aren't most of those North Korean stories we hear fake? E.g. the one about the Kimster feeding his uncle to dogs was a story taken from an Asian equivalent of Waterford Whisperer.
                                                Even if someone were to go the trouble of making up stories about North Korea, they couldn't be anywhere near as bizarre as the reality.

Reuters and everyone else have this anyway. Gotta hand it to Fat Kim: executing lads with anti-aircraft guns shows a certain flair.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                    jesus. glad your bud is ok Dice.
                                                    Did he take bad or accident or something?
                                                    Just mad that you can drop off the grid for days on end in this day and age.
                                                    Thought the answer was in the op? He went for drinks with dice on Thursday.
                                                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Anyone see the O'Donovan lads on the 9oc news last night. Really are a breath of fresh air.

First off yer man says to Eileen Dunne "well Eileen, how's the form?"
                                                      Then she asks him how many turned out to welcome them home and he says (straight out of Father Ted) "I'm not good at judging crowds but I reckon there was a million there" and bursts his hole laughing

Comment

Originally posted by Lplated View Post
                                                        Obvious differences surely? One concerns people trying to hang on to as much of their own money as possible. Other concerns people trying to get their hands on as much of other peoples money as possible.
                                                        I find this a bizarre comment.

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                                                          Cheer yourself up by googling Sian walton( Philips daughter) and going through her images and/or Videos. Your welcome.
                                                          Last edited by Hatedajacks; 30-08-16, 16:36.

Comment

Have you got logs from the crash?
                                                            You can open the event viewer here
                                                            Open the Start Menu, type eventvwr.msc, and press Enter

Might give you a better idea where the fault is

Or try repair system files;
                                                            Start -->CMD-->sfc /scannow
                                                            Just looked at event viewer, was a Mywinlocker issue, deleted it and it worked. I actually didn't know how to view event log, if I did it would have saved me time and effort. Cheers, and to others who replied.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                              I find this a bizarre comment.
                                                              I think Lplated's comment would hold more weight if everyone was born with equal opportunities. As it is, the whole economy is set up to benefit the people who fund the politicians to ensure their needs are met.

We will often hear politicians spout about how the rich need to pay their fair share, but the rich get richer, the income gap widens.

Something like 8% of the world's population has over 80% of the total wealth.

Many of us who have grown up in relative comfort, possibly been private schooled or send our kids there seem to have a very hard time even showing a modicum of empathy for those who were born with next to nothing or whose circumstances led them to a position of extreme poverty.
                                                              Last edited by cardshark202; 30-08-16, 16:19.

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                                I think Lplated's comment would hold more weight if everyone was born with equal opportunities. As it is, the whole economy is set up to benefit the people who fund the politicians to ensure their needs are met.

We will often hear politicians spout about how the rich need to pay their fair share, but the rich get richer, the income gap widens.

Something like 8% of the world's population has over 80% of the total wealth.

Many who have grown up in relative comfort, possibly been private schooled or send our kids there seem to have a very hard time even showing a modicum of empathy for those who were born with next to nothing or whose circumstances led them to a position of extreme poverty.
                                                                Oh sure, all of that. But it was more simply the comment that the pension-talking guys were okay because they were trying to hang on to "their" money, but that woman was not because she was trying to get "other people's" money. As if the pension folk grew their money in their back gardens as opposed to acquired it from other people.

Anyway here is a photo of Sian Walton to add to the pantheon of blue dress girl, ballet girl, FAS girl, blonde dancing in car girl:

SPOILER

Comment

Facts beg to differ.
                                                                  The most widely used measureof income inequality, the Gini coefficient has been showing a small trend back towards more equal societies in the developed and developing worlds since the big negative shift that happened during the Regan Thatcher years.
                                                                  If you compare top and bottom 10% there is a marked improvement. Where things are really getting out of kilter is between the top 1% and the rest of the top 10% who are being destroyed by stagflation.
                                                                  Last edited by Strewelpeter; 30-08-16, 16:45.

Comment

Would people recommend New Zealand for a 12 month working holiday or just a place to go and see for a few weeks?

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                      Who cares
                                                                      Your dead right
                                                                      Well noticed

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                        If you compare top and bottom 10% there is a marked improvement. Where things are really getting out of kilter is between the top 1% and the rest of the top 10% who are being destroyed by stagflation
                                                                        Is this what happened to yer man on the bike in the Phoenix park at the weekend?

Comment

Oh sure, all of that. But it was more simply the comment that the pension-talking guys were okay because they were trying to hang on to "their" money, but that woman was not because she was trying to get "other people's" money. As if the pension folk grew their money in their back gardens as opposed to acquired it from other people.
                                                                          It's not a zero-sum game. Creating wealth for yourself <> 'taking wealth from others'.

Comment

Ah yes, that interesting day where you discover that the crotch area of your suit trousers consists solely of a few wispy threads. And then spend the afternoon wondering could anyone else feasibly have made the same discovery.

Surely you should expect to get more than 3 years wear out of a suit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatedajacks View Post
                                                                              Cheer yourself up by googling Sian walton( Philips daughter) and going through her images and/or Videos. Your welcome.
                                                                              Yes times 100!

Enjoyable Instagram account, never realised the connection.

Comment

Facts beg to differ.
                                                                                The most widely used measureof income inequality, the Gini coefficient has been showing a small trend back towards more equal societies in the developed and developing worlds since the big negative shift that happened during the Regan Thatcher years.
                                                                                If you compare top and bottom 10% there is a marked improvement. Where things are really getting out of kilter is between the top 1% and the rest of the top 10% who are being destroyed by stagflation.
                                                                                Do you have any studies showing this trend? From what I am seeing there may be a minor shift but I do need to search more to confirm anything. In my brief search for gini index data, it was somewhat lacking.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                  It's not a zero-sum game. Creating wealth for yourself <> 'taking wealth from others'.
                                                                                  I'll be back in my box if anyone needs me.

As if my post with that pic needed extraneous ramblings. A lesson for all of us there.

Comment

Hope this apple ruling isn't the beginning of the end for our multinational tax dodging.
                                                                                    Some idiot in the journal claiming we can end the homeless crisis with the 13 bill. We take that money and multinational companies scarper the homeless crisis is going to look like a very minor problem
                                                                                    Clearly some of these euroloons hate our guts. Time to say thanks for the all the loot go fuck yourselves.

Comment

Facts beg to differ.
                                                                                      Do you have any links to back this up?

The trend in the Gini coefficient before the economic collapse did show inequality slowly declining but since the recession that trend has reversed. Even at this small trend it is nothing considering the high levels reached.

Huge report here from OECD based heavily on the Gini coefficient which highlights huge widening of the poverty gap in key areas. Page 27 gives breakdown of countries and shows and average increase in the index of around 10% from the mid eighties to the last recorded data in 2013. You're right in that the surge in the top 1% has been one of the key areas widening but also the bottom 40% has seen very little in the way of real income increase over the last decade.

Edit - Your statement that things are considerably better between the top and bottom 10% also seems completely off. Accroding to that report the richest 10% currently earn 9.6 times the income of the bottom 10% today. That ratio was 7-1 in the 80's, 8-1 in the 90s, 9-1 in the 00's. How is there a marked improvement as that figure rises to almost 10-1?

Opr
                                                                                      Last edited by Opr; 30-08-16, 18:12.

Comment

Surely you should expect to get more than 3 years wear out of a suit.
                                                                                        Depends what you're exposing your crotch to I suppose. Bill Clinton probably got a fortnight out of them.

Comment

Depends what you're exposing your crotch to I suppose. Bill Clinton probably got a fortnight out of them.
                                                                                          Sadly enough, 'my chair' is probably the answer.

Comment

@hotspur:

Was stuck in Istanbul for a couple of days, and thought about Mustang (only film in turkish that i think i've seen (american express notwithstanding)), which led me to think of you and wondered if you'd watched it.

Comment

...

Comment

In betting terms, what would Aguero be to get the 3 match ban?

1/5?

Comment

Anyway here is a photo of Sian Walton to add to the pantheon of blue dress girl, ballet girl, FAS girl, blonde dancing in car girl:

SPOILER
                                                                                                  SPOILER

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

SPOILER

wow, that is exactly who i thought of also

Comment

Best baby shower gift?

My best idea so far is an Ireland jersey but honestly no clue what to give at shit like this
                                                                                                      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Do you have any studies showing this trend? From what I am seeing there may be a minor shift but I do need to search more to confirm anything. In my brief search for gini index data, it was somewhat lacking.
                                                                                                        Jonathan Cribb on TimHarford's more or Less a few weeks ago

much more here
                                                                                                        https://www.ifs.org.uk/people/profil...year_published[start]=&year_published[end]=&page=1&

Originally posted by RaoulDuke3
                                                                                                        I don't completely agree with this, There are occasional cases where wealth is created out of nothing but in the main economics inasmuch as it is a science is just as subject to the laws of nature as anything else and although we don't always see it clearly for every profit there is an equal and opposite loss.
                                                                                                        Unfortunately as I say most of these losses are invisible to us and are often environmental losses or losses felt by people far away and powerless to act.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                                                          Best baby shower gift?

My best idea so far is an Ireland jersey but honestly no clue what to give at shit like this
                                                                                                          If the person is a bit of craic then this would be great imo. Book of comics about parenting that are eerily on the money:

EG:

Last edited by Guest; 30-08-16, 19:39.

Comment

@zuut - How much did the flying thing cost you overall in the end to get the licence? I know you don't have it yet but I assume you know the overall cost, assuming you pass first time, which I'm sure you will

Comment

They're good craic, from brazil/czech and lived here for years but moving next year at some point hence why I was thinking jersey.

Shall purchase the above if it delivers on time(I left this last minute as usual!)
                                                                                                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                                @zuut - How much did the flying thing cost you overall in the end to get the licence? I know you don't have it yet but I assume you know the overall cost, assuming you pass first time, which I'm sure you will
                                                                                                                I don't really want to tot it up

I guess 12k but I did it quite intensively...you could probably add another thousand if you're doing it once or twice a week.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                                                                  They're good craic, from brazil/czech and lived here for years but moving next year at some point hence why I was thinking jersey.

Shall purchase the above if it delivers on time(I left this last minute as usual!)
                                                                                                                  Not sure how the humour would translate but I'll live it to you to figure that one out.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                                    Not sure how the humour would translate but I'll live it to you to figure that one out.
                                                                                                                    Already purchased with express delivery as 3-5 days is a bit tight with it being on Sunday. Merci beaucoup!
                                                                                                                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

I don't completely agree with this, There are occasional cases where wealth is created out of nothing but in the main economics inasmuch as it is a science is just as subject to the laws of nature as anything else and although we don't always see it clearly for every profit there is an equal and opposite loss.
                                                                                                                      Unfortunately as I say most of these losses are invisible to us and are often environmental losses or losses felt by people far away and powerless to act.
                                                                                                                      You're confusing physics and capitalism.

Take the man who decides to manufacture, say, arseless trousers in Ballyferriter.

He goes to the bank, borrows a million.
                                                                                                                      He rents factory premises and machinery.
                                                                                                                      He employs ten local dimwits to cut the arses out of 100,000 pairs of trousers.
                                                                                                                      He sells the trousers to liberally-minded members of society at a healthy markup.
                                                                                                                      He pays back the bank.
                                                                                                                      The bank makes profit.
                                                                                                                      The landlord makes profit.
                                                                                                                      The local Healy-Rea hostelry makes fortunes.
                                                                                                                      He expands his business.
                                                                                                                      He employs more local halfwits to cut arses out of trousers and pays them decent wages
                                                                                                                      And so forth.

Where is the offsetting loss? Everyone is better off than previously.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                                                        I don't think I have seen Mississippi Grind mentioned on here? Road movie about two guys heading towards a high stakes poker game playing along the route to gather money for the buy-in. It is certainly a cut above almost anything served up in the gambling genre over the last few years although it is slow and for the most part unrelenting grim.
                                                                                                                        SPOILER
                                                                                                                        I wish they had lost the last roll on craps. It would have been far more in keeping with the film.

Opr

Watched this last night and very much enjoyed it. Cheers for the heads up.

Only dawned on me just now how directly it leans on California Split. Not in an annoying way though.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by shano1888; 30-08-16, 20:23.

Comment

You're confusing physics and capitalism.

Take the man who decides to manufacture, say, arseless trousers in Ballyferriter.

He goes to the bank, borrows a million.
                                                                                                                          He rents factory premises and machinery.
                                                                                                                          He employs ten local dimwits to cut the arses out of 100,000 pairs of trousers.
                                                                                                                          He sells the trousers to liberally-minded members of society at a healthy markup.
                                                                                                                          He pays back the bank.
                                                                                                                          The bank makes profit.
                                                                                                                          The landlord makes profit.
                                                                                                                          The local Healy-Rea hostelry makes fortunes.
                                                                                                                          He expands his business.
                                                                                                                          He employs more local halfwits to cut arses out of trousers and pays them decent wages
                                                                                                                          And so forth.

Where is the offsetting loss? Everyone is better off than previously.
                                                                                                                          What if the ass falls out of the market?
                                                                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X