This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
    Lazare, wait until the kid grows a bit. Easy to say you won't ever give a slap when they are babies. But kids can push you to the limits.

I honestly don't think my kids harbour any grudge for the odd slap.
    I did parenting classes and you should not dish out punishment when really angry, but in reality as a parent you have to hold back. No need to knock them about. I think you will find more mammies slap and daddy is the good cop. Tough roll for the woman.

I honestly think I exercised the right amount of discipline and my kids will be good humans and something their partners in later life will appreciate!
    I know for absolute certainty that I will never raise a hand to them, I do take after my Dad in that regard.

It's not for me, I feel it's not a requirement but I totally respect your approach too. You're quite obviously an excellent parent.
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I also feel that the 'kids these days have no respect' argument is a fallacy and is something that every adult has said about the next generation since humans evolved the ability to speak. There's a term for it, Juvenoia.

'The children now love luxury, they have bad manners and contempt for authority. They show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of excercise'

SPOILER
        Socrates 380BC
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
          I also feel that the 'kids these days have no respect' argument is a fallacy and is something that every adult has said about the next generation since humans evolved the ability to speak. There's a term for it, Juvenoia.

'The children now love luxury, they have bad manners and contempt for authority. They show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of excercise'

Socrates 380BC
          He went on to be a smashing footballer.

Comment

SPOILER
            Socrates 380BC
            Yes nothing has improved and those people are correct.

Comment

Is there really only 4 pubs in Greystones?

SPOILER

a wee bit too big and too lazy to resize
              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                Was going through top 100's of movies and noticed I had seen lots of every list(different genres). Would be interesting to know how many movies I have seen.
                They all end the same way anyhow m8
                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                    As Newton says, and is now the Google Scholar logo

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Good sources are the shoulders of giants in proper arguments.

TIL ad hominem is a dodgy argument criticism
                    Newton was quoting someone else when he said that. I think he was also having a dig at Robert Hooke when he wrote it as the quote traditionally refers to dwarves but I stand to be corrected on that.

There's nothing wrong with attacking sources of course, particularly in academic works, but it's still an ad hominem attack if you don't follow up the criticism of the source (or a perceived bias therein) with an appropriate critique of the argument itself.

Basically it's the difference between being dismissive of a position and being critical of it.
                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                      He went on to be a smashing footballer.
                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Finally an excuse to avoid lettuce. RIP the BLT, the most environmentally unfriendly food.

I have a stunning revelation for the authors, "per calorie water is worse than bacon" for the environment

Comment

Comment

Sir,
                            I believe I may say with "certainty " that the moderators on IPB need to "control" discussions about rent as there is an oversupply of this kind of discussion at the moment!
                            Yours etc,

Comment

Best place to buy and sell shares for a complete noob?
                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                davy.ie probs
                                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

SPOILER
                                  Socrates 380BC
                                  Can't wait for approx 2 years time and Lazare posting about his kids being shitheads
                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

Pretty rough to have to pay £100k for opening on a Sunday !
                                      The glut of sports happening on a Sunday makes law stupid here not allowing them to open imho.
                                      Wondering if it comes outta Boyle Sports or the guy himself?
                                      SPOILER

A County Armagh bookmaker has been fined £4,500 and ordered to pay back £100,000 for illegally opening his shop for Sunday betting.

Newry Crown Court was told that Benedict Gerard Boyle, 47, of Doyles Villas, Camlough, had been opening on Sundays for two and a half years.

During that time Boyle took bets worth an estimated £250,000.

Boyle pleaded guilty in March this year to three counts of illegal Sunday trading.

The offences occurred on dates between 29 February, 2010 and 18 November, 2012.

A prosecutor told the court that after police in Newry "received intelligence'' in October 2012 that Boyle was opening his Boyle Sports bookmakers shop in the Newry's Francis Street on Sundays, a number of plain-clothed police officers visited his premises on a Sunday and found they were open.

They were able to place bets and received betting slips back.

As a result, a search of the shop was carried out by uniformed officers.

"Police found a substantial amount of betting slips which showed that he had been operating on a Sunday over a period from February 29, 2010 to November 18, 2012," the prosecutor said.

He said police estimated that somewhere in the region of £250,000 of bets had been placed over this period.

Although Boyle pleaded guilty in March, the court was told that sentencing had been adjourned until Wednesday to resolve issues around a Proceeds of Crime application.

The prosecutor told a judge the prosecution were seeking a confiscation order for £100,000 which they say was Boyle's benefit from the illegal Sunday trading.

A defence QC said Boyle had no previous relevant record for such offences and said he had not come to police attention for further offences since these crimes came to light three years ago.

The judge fined Boyle £1,500 on each of the three offences and gave him six months to pay and agreed to make a Proceeds of Crime Order in the sum of £100,000.

Boyle was told by Judge Finnegan QC that he had until March 2016 to pay back the six figure sum which he said was the "benefit of his crimes''.

"If you don't pay it back in that time, there is a default period of two years in prison,'' added the judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                        Can't wait for approx 2 years time and Lazare posting about his kids being shitheads
                                        Yeah i remember Lazare posting in recent summer seasons about his want to brain a vagrant in Stephens green just for throwing an empty plastic bottle on the grass. It wasnt the crime than enflamed him it was that his rebuke was laughed at and dissed. Which is what the kids will identify and exploit with a non whelping across the ear parent.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                          Ha, I thought of doing that for family members I'd not idea what to get for xmas.
                                          Here mam and dad have €200 worth of x shares instead of a aftershave, perfume that you'll never use and another pair of slippers for the pile.
                                          I just think I'd be salty as fuck for not buying them for meself if they took off.
                                          Which would mean it'd cost me €400

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

'tis. A small bit more expensive (€15 a trade vs some of the cheaper international brokers), but a nice platform and you can call into their office to do all the endless paperwork. Internaxx in Luxembourg was an absolute bollix to open due to internetness and they include some sort of inactivity fee if you don't buy frequently. Don't think Davy has that inactivity fee.
                                            Wait, I have to present myself at a physical shop and fill out actual paperwork?
                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                              anybody been to Lisbon? Is it ok for a long weekend? Or is there a little town nearby lisbon that would be better? If not there then where else?
                                              Spent 3 weeks there recently. What are you looking for? Lisbon had some great places to eat and a good base to explore other places. Belem is a touristy town a quick train ride away. Sintra is a bit further away full of old palaces, parks and such. It's a really nice place. Cascais is also nice.

Loved this market in Lisbon

Last edited by Trippie; 16-12-15, 18:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                I look forward to having reasoned and lively debates with my future person.
                                                No darling, you cannot break all the cups
                                                well you see, mammy and daddy need the cups for tea and coffee
                                                yes of course when you grow older you can have some.
                                                I agree, a well made latte is both aesthetically pleasing and mentally stimulating
                                                Fantastic, that that settled, now about the crayons on the tv......
                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Really liked Lisbon.

Had one of the best meals I've ever had there - roast octopus at frade dos mares (dirt cheap but amazing)

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                    anybody been to Lisbon? Is it ok for a long weekend? Or is there a little town nearby lisbon that would be better? If not there then where else?
                                                    An excellent spot. Shabby chic and friendly people. I recommend Club de Journalista for a lovely evening meal. A great spot for buying leather goods as well.
                                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                      Spent 3 weeks there recently. What are you looking for? Lisbon had some great places to eat and a good base to explore other places. Belem is a touristy town a quick train ride away. Sintra is a bit further away full of old palaces, parks and such. It's a really nice place. Cascais is also nice.

Loved this market in Lisbon

http://www.timeout.com/city-guides/t...ibeira-lisbon/
                                                      I'd have Lisbon near the bottom of the list of European cities I've visited (it smells, hard to get around, very disorganised...) but that food hall is nice. I haven't been but Cascais etc nearby are meant to be v nice

Comment

Would you slap a dog ? Dunno how people can slap a child so.

1st thing stuck me about Lisbon was the fashion . A super model around every corner. Also the eiffel lift to the upper streets is interesting. Nice place to sit and dine el fresco and watch the girlies go by.

Comment

Originally posted by HiCloy View Post
                                                          I'd have Lisbon near the bottom of the list of European cities I've visited (it smells, hard to get around, very disorganised...) but that food hall is nice. I haven't been but Cascais etc nearby are meant to be v nice
                                                          We have been quite fortunate the last 5 months travelling around. Krakow is probably bottom of the list for us. Lisbon is middle of the pack for me, the weather was great, prices very cheap and I could take the dog everywhere so he wasn't stuck in the apartment all day.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                                              Would you slap a dog ? Dunno how people can slap a child so.

1st thing stuck me about Lisbon was the fashion . A super model around every corner. Also the eiffel lift to the upper streets is interesting. Nice place to sit and dine el fresco and watch the girlies go by.
                                                              Yep, if it was a young wan prone to jumping up on you and need disencourgement so not to repeat.

Different levels of slapping obv... Some ok and others not ok imo.
                                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Anyone here got Tom boy daughters , Holy jesus took Mia shopping today for xmas clothes , I had to take 3 valium and nearly had a fucking heart attack. no flowery stuff , no dresses, no skirts, no pink. OMG

jesus it was an absolute nightmare. Em no you cant wear a Canterbury tracksuit bottoms xmas day , Had to bribe her in end for the pink in River Island , bribe was, her new obsession 4 fucking beanie hats

very odd child
                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                  Anyone here got Tom boy daughters , Holy jesus took Mia shopping today for xmas clothes , I had to take 3 valium and nearly had a fucking heart attack. no flowery stuff , no dresses, no skirts, no pink. OMG

jesus it was an absolute nightmare. Em no you cant wear a Canterbury tracksuit bottoms xmas day , Had to bribe her in end for the pink in River Island , bribe was, her new obsession 4 fucking beanie hats

very odd child
                                                                  Very cool child by the sounds of it. I used to take my little sister shopping when she was about 10/12 as a great for birthdays Xmas etc and all she wanted was sports gear and John Cena WWE hoodies. She grew out of it and so will Mia but now she sounds like a really cool kid tbh. Making up her own style when the other girls probably wear the pink flowery dresses shite. Not odd by any means.

Comment

Actually re reading that sounds like I'm giving out to you. I'm not by any means. Just saying

Comment

Sounds like you're flirting m8

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                                                                        Pretty rough to have to pay £100k for opening on a Sunday !
                                                                        The glut of sports happening on a Sunday makes law stupid here not allowing them to open imho.
                                                                        Wondering if it comes outta Boyle Sports or the guy himself?
                                                                        SPOILER

A County Armagh bookmaker has been fined £4,500 and ordered to pay back £100,000 for illegally opening his shop for Sunday betting.

Newry Crown Court was told that Benedict Gerard Boyle, 47, of Doyles Villas, Camlough, had been opening on Sundays for two and a half years.

During that time Boyle took bets worth an estimated £250,000.

Boyle pleaded guilty in March this year to three counts of illegal Sunday trading.

The offences occurred on dates between 29 February, 2010 and 18 November, 2012.

A prosecutor told the court that after police in Newry "received intelligence'' in October 2012 that Boyle was opening his Boyle Sports bookmakers shop in the Newry's Francis Street on Sundays, a number of plain-clothed police officers visited his premises on a Sunday and found they were open.

They were able to place bets and received betting slips back.

As a result, a search of the shop was carried out by uniformed officers.

"Police found a substantial amount of betting slips which showed that he had been operating on a Sunday over a period from February 29, 2010 to November 18, 2012," the prosecutor said.

He said police estimated that somewhere in the region of £250,000 of bets had been placed over this period.

Although Boyle pleaded guilty in March, the court was told that sentencing had been adjourned until Wednesday to resolve issues around a Proceeds of Crime application.

The prosecutor told a judge the prosecution were seeking a confiscation order for £100,000 which they say was Boyle's benefit from the illegal Sunday trading.

A defence QC said Boyle had no previous relevant record for such offences and said he had not come to police attention for further offences since these crimes came to light three years ago.

The judge fined Boyle £1,500 on each of the three offences and gave him six months to pay and agreed to make a Proceeds of Crime Order in the sum of £100,000.

Boyle was told by Judge Finnegan QC that he had until March 2016 to pay back the six figure sum which he said was the "benefit of his crimes''.

"If you don't pay it back in that time, there is a default period of two years in prison,'' added the judge.
                                                                        All laws that are based on religious reasoning alone are just stupid. Sure wasn't it only recently that shops are allowed to open there and sports events to happen in the North as well? Still an odd place. We have our share of stupid religious crap down here as well, but not as bad as up there thankfully.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                          Very cool child by the sounds of it. I used to take my little sister shopping when she was about 10/12 as a great for birthdays Xmas etc and all she wanted was sports gear and John Cena WWE hoodies. She grew out of it and so will Mia but now she sounds like a really cool kid tbh. Making up her own style when the other girls probably wear the pink flowery dresses shite. Not odd by any means.
                                                                          her friend was wih her and picking up all ballerina type pink skirts and the other one was horrified lol JD sports she wanted ffs

What I spent today will be worn once over xmas , the best i can do on a sunday is river island ripped jeans and a chunky jumper, or hoody . ffs dunno what the neighbours think . but yeah maybe you are right in what you say , maybe its a good thing. her friend loves doing her nails and make up Mia just looks on in pure disgust . TBH kinda happy as Chanel was into the girlie stuff at that age.
                                                                          Last edited by SatNav; 16-12-15, 20:07.
                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

very odd child
                                                                            Our Aimee all over. Guns, Batman, Wrestlers, Dinosaurs, Minecraft, Boys Toys, Boys Clothes etc. When we take her to Smyths it's "Skip the girls aisle'. We're so jealous of all the other girls in the girly clothes and our little tomboy lol. She can look so pretty too! Ah sure, whatever makes them happy!

Comment

Satnav. About 45 seconds.

Comment

My Nexus 5 has gone mental. Pressing the power button to wake/sleep it now about half the time activates the camera for some reason, and it has taken to restarting for no reason at times as well. I will probably factory reset it before I resort to buying a new phone, but my main question is whether the One Plus Two does 4g? I assume so but just want to double check.

Comment

what a headline
                                                                                  Ehsan Abdulaziz: Saudi millionaire who said he 'accidentally tripped and penetrated' teenage girl cleared of rape

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                    My Nexus 5 has gone mental. Pressing the power button to wake/sleep it now about half the time activates the camera for some reason, and it has taken to restarting for no reason at times as well. I will probably factory reset it before I resort to buying a new phone, but my main question is whether the One Plus Two does 4g? I assume so but just want to double check.
                                                                                    Did you download Marshmallow? I did and my speakers are done, support have been useless so far. There's a lot of problems with the upgrade.
                                                                                    Factory reset did nothing for me.

Sorry I don't know about One Plus Two.
                                                                                    Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 16-12-15, 20:41.

Comment

it does

Comment

Google replaced my nexus 5 when I had issues recently, worth checking with them if that'd do.

Comment

Wife bought a Makey Makey. Think exclusive child rearing is changing her.
                                                                                          Oh thats fantastic!

I've no kids to get pressies for in the 8 - 12 range that is perfect for those but I might get a couple of the go ones when they come out anyway!

MSN Mia would like to get one of those even if it is a bit simple for her.
                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Planned obsolescense is class tbf.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                              Google replaced my nexus 5 when I had issues recently, worth checking with them if that'd do.
                                                                                              I might do that. I also want a new phone though sort of too.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
                                                                                                Did you download Marshmallow? I did and my speakers are done, support have been useless so far. There's a lot of problems with the upgrade.
                                                                                                Factory reset did nothing for me.

Sorry I don't know about One Plus Two.
                                                                                                I've had marshmallow since it was released pretty much as the Nexus phones get them early, but its only the last couple of days I've had a problem with this.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                    Anyone watching The Apprentice? It's hard to see anyone other that Joseph winning for a few weeks now, but he's at the longest price now (1.80) than he's been for quite a while because Vana has closed in. Has to be Joseph, yeah?

Edit - nm, €13.88 max bet on Bwin
                                                                                                    Joseph went 13/8 on Betfair but such small stakes. Vana a decent sized favourite at the moment but it's fluctuating a bit. The female interviewers aren't as brutal as i hoped!

Comment

Season 1, Episode 1 of Black Mirror. Well that was quite something... I'd say most people have seen it. It's really quite ... something.
                                                                                                      Great show, don't think I've seen them all must get back onto it.
                                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                        How did the series 'Black Mirror' go down with the masses? Watched it all last week, and only realised I never saw the Christmas special, so just watched it now. It's all a bit mad Ted!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jROLrhQkK78
                                                                                                        Season 1, Episode 1 of Black Mirror. Well that was quite something... I'd say most people have seen it. It's really quite ... something.
                                                                                                        You're welcome for the reminder

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Would the other ones you've seen keep up with episode one? Seems impossible! Oh deary.
                                                                                                              The next episode is the best of the lot imo. I think Series 1 is better than 2. They are all completely independent so you can take each on it's own merit!

Comment

Wife had issues too, the thing kept getting stuck in a reboot loop, could be stored but would reoccur and the gap between instances kept getting shorter and now the child gets it to shut him up.

Comment

Would the other ones you've seen keep up with episode one? Seems impossible! Oh deary.
                                                                                                                  Is episode one the one with the chip in the head? Mad episode. There's one with Domhnall Gleeson that's pretty class aswell.
                                                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

...

Comment

Episode One involves the Prime Minister being asked to do something

Seems there's more brilliance ahead so!
                                                                                                                      I must not have watched in order...
                                                                                                                      Last edited by eamonhonda; 16-12-15, 22:10.
                                                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                        Aye, indeed I find it strange to but the point is intent and the guy a props runs into on a pitch isn't a bystander.
                                                                                                                        The guy in the MMA cage isn't on the streets either. I was referring specifically to that "on the streets" hypothetical.
                                                                                                                        Originally posted by Mellor
                                                                                                                        The "if you did that on the streets you'd be charged" argument is silly.
                                                                                                                        Originally posted by Strewelpeter
                                                                                                                        I think we'd have to agree to differ there. I can't see how you play the game without intending to injure the other guy more than you get injured. Thats the only way to win
                                                                                                                        Injuring your opponent isn't the only way to win. I think this is simply highlights your misconception, or unfamiliarity of the sport. To repeat what I said earlier.

I've had 30 or so submission matches, I've won maybe 10 of those by armbar. Which involves hyper-extending my opponent arm until he submits. My only goal is to make him submit, I have absolutely zero intentions of breaking any body's arm.

It's probably unintentional, but it's a little insulting to suggest that I'm either lying about, or unaware of, my intentions.

Its UFC as a heavily marketed spectator sport that allows the kind of thing that was posted yesterday within its rules makes me feel queasy.
                                                                                                                        I completely understand that view. My dad was the same at one point.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

I've won by armbar. Which involves hyper-extending my opponent arm until he submits. My only goal is to make him submit

I completely understand that view. My dad was the same at one point.
                                                                                                                          did it take 10 goes to finally convince him?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X