This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

The man hasn't been a wet week in Rathmines and he's already insulting the second highest value eircode in the country.
    I'll have you know I was dragged kicking and screaming to leafy Ranelagh about seven years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
      Off to The Four Seasons to play poker - we seem to be moving up in the World.

I saw GAB was on a FT in the Omaha - anyone know if he shipped it?
      FT Results

Disappointed that I can’t make it, I’m going to a deep dive at Kilkenomics over the weekend so on the off chance I make a Day 2/3 I’d have to cancel.

Congrats on outlasting me by 1 spot last week.

Comment

3rd for 17k, no complaints.

Comment

I remember seeing the Billy Walters book mentioned here.

I picked up a copy to give someone as a present and having just read the prologue I got a bad feeling that it's going to turn out to be Billy's version of Ted Crilly's Golden Cleric acceptance speech... Is it worth sticking with?
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
            I remember seeing the Billy Walters book mentioned here.

I picked up a copy to give someone as a present and having just read the prologue I got a bad feeling that it's going to turn out to be Billy's version of Ted Crilly's Golden Cleric acceptance speech... Is it worth sticking with?
            Is he the guy that Phil Mickleson screwed over?
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

This seems to be Robin Hood-esque fraud by a bank manager. €2.7M of it so he'll get a big sentence, but genuinely reads as if his 15 years of criminality was just trying to move money around to cater for giving loans to people who his bank had rejected. Utterly flawed, but seems quite admirable with no personal gain. Maybe I'm missing something?

Former bank manager to be sentenced for stealing €2.7m from employer (breakingnews.ie)

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                Listening to the Mike Duncan History of Rome podcast again.

I thought I'd remember very little from the first run through about 8 years ago, but happily a good few bits and pieces are still familiar.
                Took me 8 months, but I've finished The History of Rome podcast. 179 episodes.
                The End piece recap sounds eerily like the State of the USA these days. Well, maybe not the baby emperors.

Any recommendations?

Any pointers on the following?
                Dan Carlins Hardcore History,
                Ridiculous History
                The History of Byzantium
                12 Byzantium Rulers
                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Is he the guy that Phil Mickleson screwed over?
                  yeah, he has Phil firmly in his sights as being the reason he went to jail.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                    This seems to be Robin Hood-esque fraud by a bank manager. €2.7M of it so he'll get a big sentence, but genuinely reads as if his 15 years of criminality was just trying to move money around to cater for giving loans to people who his bank had rejected. Utterly flawed, but seems quite admirable with no personal gain. Maybe I'm missing something?

Former bank manager to be sentenced for stealing €2.7m from employer (breakingnews.ie)
                    That's a great story, what a legend. Sixteen years of awful stress and hard work for no monetary gain whatsoever. They should build a statue of him. I can't understand how the internal controls were so weak that could go on for so long.

Anyone in Artane should try and get him to deliver a pizza to them.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

If you took that report at face value it's the bank that should be in the dock for having shit process and controls in place.

Comment

Zelenskyy to Israel is a strange transfer
                        he be better of looking after his own country rather than winding up the Russian boys as they are run by Jew money similar to USA and London
                        Last edited by balfejohn; 03-11-23, 19:18.

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                          he be better of looking after his own country rather than winding up the Russian boys as they are run by Jew money similar to USA and London
                          Emmmm.

Comment

He agreed with Sean Gillane SC, defending, that in “a perfect world” the people who had been provided with the undocumented loans would have paid back the money and Challoner would then have been able to pay back the original customer but this didn’t happen.

Instead, many of those people couldn’t repay the funds or refused to repay the loans and as there was no supporting documentation, there was no way they could be forced to repay the money.

No good deed goes unpunished

Just illustrates why they shouldn't have got loans in the first place

Comment

Emmmm.
                              I have no idea what this means but I'm pretty sure it's not good!

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

I have no idea what this means but I'm pretty sure it's not good!
                                Unless it's some Baron Cohen style humour.

Comment

Emmmm.
                                  Sorry should have said visiting Benny and his boys rather than transferring
                                  my apologies

Comment

Sorry should have said visiting Benny and his boys rather than transferring
                                    my apologies
                                    It was more 'run by Jew money like New York and London'.

That wouldn't have been out of place in Der Stürmer, circa 1938.

Comment

It was more 'run by Jew money like New York and London'.

That wouldn't have been out of place in Der Stürmer, circa 1938.
                                      Ah sorry meant Due to their money running their countries
                                      sorry again

Comment

What's a panelling centre?

Ah, deep into Northside I venture
                                        nary a river crossed on my wild adventure
                                        ?
                                        They sell panels Micknail
                                        Its a panelling centre

Comment

Must fight .urge ..to ..

There once was a

​​​​​​

Comment

Enjoyed CMAT on Graham Norton. The music more than the interview.

So much good music in Ireland right now.

Comment

Srsly?

The SF/Hamas line is spinning straight into outright anti semetic tropes

Did you see that fool Brolly tweeting lately... fucking hell
                                              Last edited by Strewelpeter; 03-11-23, 23:40.

Comment

Irelands RWC failure was the excuse I needed to finally check out Chapter One- some operation- unlike the rugger lads it lived up to the hype
                                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Think I saw KevIRL in real life
                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Srsly?

The SF/Hamas line is spinning straight into outright anti semetic tropes

Did you see that fool Brolly tweeting lately... fucking hell
                                                    Shocking
                                                    really bad carry on
                                                    them boys just protecting themselves from harmful secures

Comment

Dig up balfejohn

It's pretty loose goosey around here but that's a little too much.
                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Think I saw KevIRL in real life
                                                        If you see him again tell him Lazare said to GFH
                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Gave the new Chapter One another go for lunch there today. Completely bemused at its popularity. No idea where they found 2 stars. It was ok, but won't be returning.

Comment

I've a spare ticket for Hangmen at the Gaiety tonight if anyone's interested?
                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                              Gave the new Chapter One another go for lunch there today. Completely bemused at its popularity. No idea where they found 2 stars. It was ok, but won't be returning.
                                                              I have a theory about this. Which like all my theories is well-thought-out and undoubtedly correct.

Fundamentally Michelin stars are about celebrating French food (case in point, just about every Michelin star place in Dublin), and as our palates internationalise its hard to be excited about French food, no matter how good it is - it just tastes 'like food'. What we really want our fine-dining to be now is an exposure to new experiences. French food, and therefore Michelin stars, can never do that, so Michelin is really a signpost of an older style of cooking.
                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

That Beatles song is pretty brutal.

Comment

OK sports fans, here's one of those 'you are the referee' quiz yokes.

You're umpiring a team sport, doesn't really matter which one. Hasn't been a dirty or bad tempered game. Decent standard. You give a decision to the attacking team, it's the correct one and nobody is moaning. Except one defender who turns around to you and says very distinctly 'fucking cheating ref'. Everyone within 20 metres hears this.

Your choices are:
                                                                  1. Do, and say, nothing
                                                                  2. Give him a verbal warning
                                                                  3. Green card (2 minute sin bin)
                                                                  4. Yellow card (5 minute sin bin)
                                                                  5. Red card
                                                                  What do you do and why?

Comment

I have a theory about this. Which like all my theories is well-thought-out and undoubtedly correct.

Fundamentally Michelin stars are about celebrating French food (case in point, just about every Michelin star place in Dublin), and as our palates internationalise its hard to be excited about French food, no matter how good it is - it just tastes 'like food'. What we really want our fine-dining to be now is an exposure to new experiences. French food, and therefore Michelin stars, can never do that, so Michelin is really a signpost of an older style of cooking.
                                                                    Isn't Japan the place (behind France) with the most Michelin stars?

Comment

You're umpiring a team sport, doesn't really matter which one. Hasn't been a dirty or bad tempered game. Decent standard. You give a decision to the attacking team, it's the correct one and nobody is moaning. Except one defender who turns around to you and says very distinctly 'fucking cheating ref'. Everyone within 20 metres hears this.

Your choices are:
                                                                      1. Do, and say, nothing
                                                                      5. Red card
                                                                      What do you do and why?
                                                                      Give him a green card then revise it as he's on the bench to yellow than 2 mins later a red.

Green card just makes him a rebel , the above makes you the legend.

Comment

He's talking through his arse on this one

Comment

Your choices are:
                                                                          1. Do, and say, nothing
                                                                          5. Red card
                                                                          What do you do and why?
                                                                          There’s quite a range of options there relative to most sports or at least I’m involved in.

Equating it to bball and I’ll use NBA rules.

Flagrant 1 foul is unnecessary and the opposing team gets a free throw & possession while Flagrant 2 is all of the above plus it’s deemed excessive & you’re ejected.

Additionally both are live throughout the season and lead to auto bans if you accumulate a pretty small amount. I’d be on the line as a ref on this one but I’d be inclined towards a Flagrant 1.

I think if it’s the type of behaviour which persists, it will eventually catch up on them but limited impact if it’s a one off.

One the face of it that seems like a yellow card here but if that’s irrelevant moving forward, I’d be more inclined to dismiss.

Comment

Makes a bit of sense but even in the context of other French restaurants I dont think it has much to offer.

Comment

, Any precedent for the sport does matter , it would be expected behaviour in GAA or Soccer.
                                                                              Yellow at least, and change it to red if he ups the ante at all.

Comment

Your choices are:
                                                                                1. Do, and say, nothing
                                                                                5. Red card
                                                                                What do you do and why?

Green card and upgraded to yellow if there is so much of a pip out of him on the way off or while on the side line. While upgrading to yellow, I'd be letting him know in no uncertain terms that the red card is waiting for him should he wish to continue his outburst.

Comment

Hope this is a reverso
                                                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

RD3 you're a hockey ref ye? So I suppose if he hadn't used "fucking", would you still be sending him/her to the bin?

Must have been fierce outrage on the sidelines
                                                                                    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                                      RD3 you're a hockey ref ye? So I suppose if he hadn't used "fucking", would you still be sending him/her to the bin?

Must have been fierce outrage on the sidelines
                                                                                      Yes, hockey.

'Fucking' isn't the problem here. 'Cheating' is.

Comment

Got a single use code re my Gmail account which I didn't request from micro soft Presume it's nothing to worry about particularly...

Or is it

Comment

Your choices are:
                                                                                          1. Do, and say, nothing
                                                                                          5. Red card
                                                                                          What do you do and why?
                                                                                          Its a red card. Use of the word "cheating" is the clincher. As a ref, you're just there to apply the rules in a fair, unbiased manner and using any form of the word cheat calls your integrity into question.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Its a red card. Use of the word "cheating" is the clincher. As a ref, you're just there to apply the rules in a fair, unbiased manner and using any form of the word cheat calls your integrity into question.
                                                                                            Yep, 100%. This is what I went with - stopped the game, called over both the player and his captain and explained why. Then showed red.
                                                                                            Was looking through rugby (league and union), soccer and hockey websites earlier and they all agreed that calling an official a cheat is a red line.

e.g.
                                                                                            Calling a neutral official a cheat must be a red card, every single time. It attacks the integrity and the fair and independent arbitration of the match official; it's completely undermining their position and the authority. It's offensive.
                                                                                            First red I've ever given too. The slightly amusing factor is that he was from my own club.

Comment

Yep, 100%. This is what I went with - stopped the game, called over both the player and his captain and explained why. Then showed red.
                                                                                              Was looking through rugby (league and union), soccer and hockey websites earlier and they all agreed that calling an official a cheat is a red line.

e.g.

First red I've ever given too. The slightly amusing factor is that he was from my own club.
                                                                                              It was the one thing they were absolutely clear about when I did the ref course with the FAI. They said in the interest of fairness, sometimes you can make a decision that might slightly deviate from the rules. Like if a player goes down with an obviously bad injury and an opposition player picks up the ball to stop the game. Don't book him in that situation for deliberate hand ball cos its an act of sportsmanship. Or other similar things like that.

But they said that any use of the word cheat towards an official, and that includes some chap you might ask to do linesman, results in an immediate red card without hesitation.

Comment

I'd be ringing his mammy too, no matter what age he is.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

He's talking through his arse on this one
                                                                                                  What one?

Comment

Aha, he wasn't calling you a cheat, he was calling you a spy.

Execution imo

Comment

Japanese food in Japan, so its very regionally confined. I'd guess the most likely to be rewarded food type outside of their home country is French food by a million miles. E.g. in Ireland the list is all here: https://guide.michelin.com/ie/en/sel...-star-michelin you can see from the pictures alone that its largely French. Nothing wrong with that, the French culinary approach is a classic for a reason - but I wonder how exciting it really is? Well its all subjective I suppose but never really find myself surprised or excited by French food no matter the expertise - its just a standard known thing done very well.

While, by contrast, the food is Copenhagen a few weeks ago was epic. Primarily because it was so imaginative and new. Although if it was everywhere you'd probably be similarly bored of it. But if I'm forking out for an expensive meal I'd want an element of surprise incorporated.

Comment

Japanese food in Japan, so its very regionally confined. I'd guess the most likely to be rewarded food type outside of their home country is French food by a million miles. E.g. in Ireland the list is all here: https://guide.michelin.com/ie/en/sel...-star-michelin you can see from the pictures alone that its largely French. Nothing wrong with that, the French culinary approach is a classic for a reason - but I wonder how exciting it really is? Well its all subjective I suppose but never really find myself surprised or excited by French food no matter the expertise - its just a standard known thing done very well.

While, by contrast, the food is Copenhagen a few weeks ago was epic. Primarily because it was so imaginative and new. Although if it was everywhere you'd probably be similarly bored of it. But if I'm forking out for an expensive meal I'd want an element of surprise incorporated.
                                                                                                        Doing some idle research and it suggests that the really shocking thing is how Asian-European dominated the list is

Comment

Doing some idle research and it suggests that the really shocking thing is how Asian-European dominated the list is
                                                                                                          Thats very good! Do vaguely remember reading something in maybe the New Yorker about when they first went into Japan and the critique was made of: "it feels like the judges went to Japan having never really tried Japanese food before and then they landed and all collectively went - fuck me sushi is amazing, everyone gets a star". Am actually surprised how limited the geographic scope is given how influential the guide is in Europe.

Comment

I had a 3 rasher and egg sandwich (with ketchup) today. Just perfection
                                                                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Remember playing a hurling final v some bunch of absolute scangers
                                                                                                              Two proper fights broke out during the game the first after some scumbag kicked one of our lads while
                                                                                                              ​​​​​he was laying on the ground. Dirty game. I was marking Vinnie Murphy (Dublin Footballer). He broke my hand the year before after I hooked him twice and then got the sliotar from him in a ground tussle.
                                                                                                              I shrug him off win the sliotar and he just violently swings into me. Straight red. He had a Dublin football game two weeks later so our club didn't make official complaint so he could play.(not my decision, the clubs)
                                                                                                              He didn't touch that ball once during the final. Lifted him out of it every single ball the dirty bastard.

Said to the ref during it that he needed to get this game in hand.
                                                                                                              He looked like he was shitting himself. He looked actually scared didn't even say anything to me just kind of weakly looked at me.

Don't blame him really. Scumbags need to be dealt with in a certain way and he wasn't up to it.

Not an easy job.

Not a poem by the way.

Last edited by dinekes; 04-11-23, 23:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

What one?
                                                                                                                Lol, the michelin stars one

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

You can't leave ambiguity about the egg.
                                                                                                                  Runny I'm assuming!

Also it goes without saying the rashers were grilled, nice and crispy and the bread was regular Brennan's type white sliced, none of this fancy shmancy sourdough shenanigans.

Right, that's me off to the shops

​​​​​​
                                                                                                                  Last edited by dinekes; 05-11-23, 10:02.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Where the rashers Aidan or European ?

I gotta have the white pudding in there with some houses of parliament brown sauce.

Comment

Thats very good! Do vaguely remember reading something in maybe the New Yorker about when they first went into Japan and the critique was made of: "it feels like the judges went to Japan having never really tried Japanese food before and then they landed and all collectively went - fuck me sushi is amazing, everyone gets a star". Am actually surprised how limited the geographic scope is given how influential the guide is in Europe.
                                                                                                                      Per capita analysis is obviously the way to go and I found the lack of stars (comparitively) for South America, Africa and the Middle East to be strange.

Comment

Its actually astonishing the amount of bacon-and-egg sandwich merchants out there who think what the average punter really wants is a big pile of unrendered fat in their sandwich. Just don't get it.

Comment

Fair play on DalkeyMan for capturing the zeitgeist of the moment.

wqRqqSUl.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X