Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i set mine at 3 % for 10 years last year. horrendous bump up to what it was previously at 1.64%, but feeling glad i set it tbh, as UK is in all kinds of dire straights

what i'm really pissed off about is that, as we are going to lend the house whilst we're away, the bank is imposing an extra 1% on top of that, which means the rent will not cover mortgage and expenses, and then the UK has also passed new laws where you can no longer offset your interest paid against your rental income, so we're basically getting screwed left right and centre.

The Cuntservatives really have annihilated and bled this country dry.

mountain air will do us good

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

I never knew you could have part fixed and part variable, is that an Oz thing only?
      Kinda the best of both worlds if your intention is to do the odd balloon payment.

I started mine off as variable until it got to below 50% LTV then fixed for as long as possible on the cheapest fixed rate.
      I’ve mentioned it before on here. Got the impression that it was rare. I’ve split like that since the start. Depend what happens to variable rate, will put savings in one or the other.

Can pay up to $20k extra on the fixed half, and unlimited on the variable. And the main reason to have a variable is the offset. As soon as it’s set up, we’ll transfer in all our savings to the offset and knock the principal down a chunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Can he not get a part-time job? (cash in hand style if he doesn't have the right visa)

Also thought he was staying with you but maybe that has evolved.
        Yeah he now has a part-time job to cover living expenses, but that doesn't cover accommodation (€10k) and non-EU uni fees (€15k). There was some restriction on him working last year that has only now been solved, but even at a best-case scenario that's only €800 a month as non-EU students can only work a max of 20 hours a week. Ah, its all good, don't mind it tbh.
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Just got a text from Mrs Lao Lao.

We went sale agreed 6 weeks ago. The seller still hasn't managed to get the deeds for the house from their bank to their solicitor so contracts can start to be drawn up.

The estate agent just rang to tell her that it'll be another 3 weeks before they can get the deeds to the solicitor

WTAF?

Comment

I guess the key thing now is to hope that interest rates start to fall. All things going well with inflation, which is far from certain, rates will hopefully start to fall from the end of 2024 but its presumably going to cause carnage in the meantime. Which is the point of the rate rises - to suck money out of the economy - but a brutalistic way of doing it.

My guess for the upcoming budget - they will introduce a €500 credit for mortgage holders, similar to the rental credit. But no more than that as any more would be a breach of EU policy and 'unfair' towards renters who are clearly in a more stressful situation than owners. Plus an increase in the higher income tax starting point to about €45k. Combined that will give most mortgage holders about an extra €180 a month which goes a small way to easing things. I guess a similar move towards a €50k top rate starting band in the 2024 budget, corporation tax permitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

We went sale agreed 6 weeks ago. The seller still hasn't managed to get the deeds for the house from their bank to their solicitor so contracts can start to be drawn up.

The estate agent just rang to tell her that it'll be another 3 weeks before they can get the deeds to the solicitor

WTAF?
              Fucking joke 'Profession'.
              High levels of incompetence would appear to be the main qualification to be a practising solicitor in Ireland and the keys to success are, having a demeanour in court that wins over the judges and at least one underpaid minion who knows the law and does the actual work and of course the most important thing being an ability to log 28 billable hours a day

Recently I was in a meeting with such a pair, the Minion meekly agreeing with the 'Professional' even when they knew the pro was completely wrong.
              I was looking to get something done, the Pro was doubtful about the law, I'd done my research ago years on this point ago and am well prepared. I explain what I believe the law to be and quote the act and section, Minnion is about to agree with me until they get a glare from the pro who is recommending we get 'an opinion' from the leading expert in the field. How much will that cost I ask, "about €2K" I'm told. Ok I say
              "Is that book you have in front of you there the one written by the same leading expert?:
              'Yes as it happens it is, I've read it and they are not at all clear on this point.'
              OK can I have a look at it for a minute?... Lets look at page ... what is it it says here...
              "Hmm..." says the pro "...that would seem to be fairly unambiguous"
              So have I just saved myself €2k ?

The poor Minion's face was contorted so that I genuinely could not tell if she was trying to hide tears of despair or of laughter!

Craziest thing is that it was a decade ago with another solicitor that I had worked out all the finer points of the situation and set up things the way I did, he spent time on it and I don't remember but may have paid for 'an opinion at the time. That same 'Professional' was representing another party in this current situation and held the whole thing up for their client for about two months while they fluted around on the same point claiming they didn't understand it and wanting to get 'an opinion'. Fucking assclowns.
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Yeah he now has a part-time job to cover living expenses, but that doesn't cover accommodation (€10k) and non-EU uni fees (€15k). There was some restriction on him working last year that has only now been solved, but even at a best-case scenario that's only €800 a month as non-EU students can only work a max of 20 hours a week. Ah, its all good, don't mind it tbh.
                Cash man, cash. That thing you think will become obsolete. And he can work as many hours as he wants

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Cash man, cash. That thing you think will become obsolete. And he can work as many hours as he wants
                  ha yeah. although with a €125k investment in his total five-year study, I feel that education is the dog that should be wagging the job tail

Comment

A seven-page pitch document from a four-week old AI startup that was successful in raising €105m VC funding. Its a beautiful world.

Comment

WTAF?
                      Absolutely standard. Wait until they find a bunch of problems with the docs you gave them 3 months ago that they never looked at.
                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Some UK news on mortgages after a big 0.5% hike today. Looks like its going to be absolute chaos. The people with the biggest mortgages, recent buyers, stuck in homes that have negative equity.

This week, the cost of theaverage two-year fixed-rate mortgage rose above 6%, the highest since the start of December, according to financial product comparison website Moneyfacts.

UK homeowners brace for more mortgage pain as borrowing costs shoot up

If rates remain at that level, households will spend almost £280 ($357) more on their mortgage each month on average, compared with what they were paying in March 2022, according to the Institute for Fiscal Studies. Those aged 30-39 will pay almost £360 ($459) more.

The number of households feeling that squeeze is only going to grow.

Some 800,000 fixed-rate mortgages are due to expire in the second half of the year, according to UK Finance. Another 1.6 million mortgages will need to be refinanced next year, and at significantly higher rates.

“The latest moves in market interest rates suggest that a dire outlook for UK mortgagors just got worse,” Simon Pittaway, senior economist at the Resolution Foundation, a think tank, said in a report.

“If rates move in line with expectations, UK families are set to face a prolonged and historic mortgage crunch.”

The latest spike in mortgage rates will hit demand for house purchases and, ultimately, house prices.

“So far, the housing market hasn’t seen a material change in behavior, although anxiety levels are rising,” said Tom Bill, head of UK residential research at real estate agent Knight Frank.

Knight Frank expects house prices across the country to fall 5% this year and another 5% next year.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Absolutely standard. Wait until they find a bunch of problems with the docs you gave them 3 months ago that they never looked at.
                          I totally get when it's gets to the solicitor, they'll drag the fuck out of it but the seller hasn't even got the deeds from his bank to the solicitor yet and based on what we were told today, it will take 9 weeks in total to do this.

This isn't the fault of the solicitor. This is the seller being a complete moron.

Comment

But shouldn't a good solicitor on either side be anticipating that most sellers are dumbasses and be pre-warning them about these upcoming demands in good time. The place we bought from - Auctioneera - had that automatically done through their systems which wouldn't allow a sale agreed decision without the requisite forms on both sides. Auctioneera agents aren't great, but their IT system is fantastic with all stages automated.

Comment

So with interest levels rising and house prices then falling , where is the sweet spot for buying a house . We probably should move now the boys are bigger and have now spotted their 1st joyrider in the neighbourhood. With all the kiddies running around the neighbourhood , my already low levels of tolerance for joyriders is at vigilante level right now. I hope with the Schools out we don’t have a new spate of this shite. I’m not sure what will happen these idiots as I get the feeling my fellow seething neighbours might end one of them 1st before I have the change to shout SMASH EM. Mabe I’ll take an add out in the Evening Press to warn them off.

Comment

Made this today. Best dish I've made in a long time and definitely worth the effort. I made rice to serve it with which is the only deviation from the recipe.

This Maafe West African Peanut Stew is made with a peanut butter and tomato sauce with vegetables, aromatic herbs, and delicious spices.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                  So with interest levels rising and house prices then falling , where is the sweet spot for buying a house .
                                  April 2011
                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

So with interest levels rising and house prices then falling , where is the sweet spot for buying a house .
                                    1351, just after the black death killed half of Europe.

Comment

But shouldn't a good solicitor on either side be anticipating that most sellers are dumbasses and be pre-warning them about these upcoming demands in good time. The place we bought from - Auctioneera - had that automatically done through their systems which wouldn't allow a sale agreed decision without the requisite forms on both sides. Auctioneera agents aren't great, but their IT system is fantastic with all stages automated.

Not really. Mrs Lao Lao is a solicitor (although not in conveyancing) and both her and our actual solicitor confirm that this is all on the seller who is proving to be a fuckwit in several areas.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

April 2011
                                        Did around then funnily enough.

Comment

I totally get when it's gets to the solicitor, they'll drag the fuck out of it but the seller hasn't even got the deeds from his bank to the solicitor yet and based on what we were told today, it will take 9 weeks in total to do this.

This isn't the fault of the solicitor. This is the seller being a complete moron.

The seller I was dealing with only applied to the land registry two months after I was sale agreed. so it took another 5 months after that waiting on one doc.

I closed 7 months ago, the other sides solicitor is just about done with correcting a mistake with the deeds, my solicitor had to threaten to go to his client directly and to report him to a regulatory body, it still took him a month or two. My solicitor is amazing, most are shocking.

Comment

Did around then funnily enough.
                                            So did Strewel around 1351
                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

That was when he traded up IIRC
                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

So with interest levels rising and house prices then falling , where is the sweet spot for buying a house . We probably should move now the boys are bigger and have now spotted their 1st joyrider in the neighbourhood. With all the kiddies running around the neighbourhood , my already low levels of tolerance for joyriders is at vigilante level right now. I hope with the Schools out we don’t have a new spate of this shite. I’m not sure what will happen these idiots as I get the feeling my fellow seething neighbours might end one of them 1st before I have the change to shout SMASH EM. Mabe I’ll take an add out in the Evening Press to warn them off.
                                                I think it's about time you fully embraced your inner culchie and moved to Leitrim or Longford.

You're already halfway there tbf.

Comment

Jesus, Szechuan peppers are quite the spicy little bastards. Really catch you in the back of the throat.

Comment

Old man shakes fist at black death.

Comment

I think it's about time you fully embraced your inner culchie and moved to Leitrim or Longford.

You're already halfway there tbf.
                                                      From the black death to a leper colony.

Comment

Is cash in hand work that easily available if you don't work in construction?
                                                        Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Slovenia is one of the most beautiful countries I've ever visited. Currently enjoying a beer at Lake Bled. Swam in it earlier.

Ljubljana is so incredible, can't recommend it highly enough.

An overwhelming sense of relaxed safety and friendliness, and beauty. Dreamlike really how safe and chilled out the place is.

Apparently has a fantastic Christmas market scene. Will definitely try to get to it.

No direct flights the only pain. You can get a train from Zagreb though.
                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Not a cheap city which was surprising, not expensive, just not cheap like I assumed. Similar to Dublin really.

Which is a good thing, it's a prosperous country, people are doing well here.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                              Hospitality.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                Not a cheap city which was surprising, not expensive, just not cheap like I assumed. Similar to Dublin really.

Tell them how much you like being in Slovakia. They appreciate that.

Comment

Seems like that submarine was likely destroyed at the outset.
                                                                  Which is awful but somehow better than the thought of the oxygen slowly running out.

Comment

Seems like that submarine was likely destroyed at the outset.
                                                                    Which is awful but somehow better than the thought of the oxygen slowly running out.
                                                                    Not sure if that makes it better or worse the stepson attending a Blink-182 concert in the middle of the rescue, and tweeting about it. https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/us-cele...c-sub-30295016

Comment

Beautiful, isn't it. Did you visit the Irish pub in the cellar at all? That was the ruination of me on my visit there a long time ago.

Comment

I would guess there is minimal incentive for workers as they don't pay tax on their first 20k and not many would be exceeding that - while the benefit of being paid properly is things like PRSI stamps. So its only really the small group of social welfare angle-shooters that would be a potential labour market. Guess its different in construction as the sums can be quite decent.

Comment

There is nothing cheap about Dublin. Probably one of the most expensive cities in Europe.

Comment

I would guess there is minimal incentive for workers as they don't pay tax on their first 20k and not many would be exceeding that - while the benefit of being paid properly is things like PRSI stamps. So its only really the small group of social welfare angle-shooters that would be a potential labour market. Guess its different in construction as the sums can be quite decent.
                                                                            People already working in tax paying jobs topping up their income.

Comment

People already working in tax paying jobs topping up their income.
                                                                              "the squeezed middle"

the most squeezed of all the classes

Comment

Slovenia is one of the most beautiful countries I've ever visited. Currently enjoying a beer at Lake Bled. Swam in it earlier.

An overwhelming sense of relaxed safety and friendliness, and beauty. Dreamlike really how safe and chilled out the place is.

Apparently has a fantastic Christmas market scene. Will definitely try to get to it.

Going there in a couple of months, looks incredible.

Comment

Students with jobs and an understanding boss. If they have a job, they won't qualify for a grant to cover fees. If they don't have a job, they will get the grant but nothing to cover living expenses.

Cash in hand is a loophole that gets some pocket money and secures a grant for fees.

Unfortunately for me as a mature student, my Mrs wages was taken into account and she earned 2k over the threshold so I wasn't eligible. Pain in the hole it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                                    Think I got like 200 points or something in my LC..didn’t hold me back much
                                                                                    I got stabbed the day before English paper 1.
                                                                                    I tanked my leaving but have somehow managed to do ok.
                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Portoroz has a reputation as being the best general aviation destination in Europe for all those reasons. Haven't made it there. Hopefully some day!

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

There is nothing cheap about Dublin. Probably one of the most expensive cities in Europe.
                                                                                        Says the man moving to Switzerland!

Comment

The Neflix tennis docu series is very good .

Comment

I met them years ago at a conference in Croker.
                                                                                            The CEO struck me as a bit of a Del Boy type character but the system was pretty good.
                                                                                            We had a fun time at the Q&A picking apart some of the design flaws at the time which now look to be gone.
                                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Students with jobs and an understanding boss. If they have a job, they won't qualify for a grant to cover fees. If they don't have a job, they will get the grant but nothing to cover living expenses.

Cash in hand is a loophole that gets some pocket money and secures a grant for fees.

Unfortunately for me as a mature student, my Mrs wages was taken into account and she earned 2k over the threshold so I wasn't eligible. Pain in the hole it is.
                                                                                              You’re not married right? Bit shitty then how her income shiuld be taken into account.

Comment

Says the man moving to Switzerland!
                                                                                                pretty terrifyingly so, but at least minimum wage is like 4k a month or something like that!!

Comment

You’re not married right? Bit shitty then how her income shiuld be taken into account.
                                                                                                  Yep, "co-habiting" was the phrase they used. Would be interesting if I played the she's just a housemate card to see if it's still taken into account but we were too honest to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I met them years ago at a conference in Croker.
                                                                                                    The CEO struck me as a bit of a Del Boy type character but the system was pretty good.
                                                                                                    We had a fun time at the Q&A picking apart some of the design flaws at the time which now look to be gone.
                                                                                                    Indian lad? Yeah they seem to have cut out loads of costs from the process. Just wouldn't be sure they put enough effort into selling houses. Maybe the estate agents are younger or have too many homes to handle. Great for buyers though.

Comment

ChatGPT, if 5 stars is the world's best hotel room, what would a 6 to 12 star room look like?

Comment

The new worlds largest (? - TikTok acquired knowledge) Penneys in Dundrum is genuinely everything of your worst nightmares.

Comment

Dentist referring me to a specialist.....gulp ​​​​​ "Not the cheapest and not the dearest" I said to him
                                                                                                          Have a head on me like Al Bundy handing out dollars to the family at the start of Married with Childreb

Comment

Might head down and play this €100 yoke in the Regency at 7 and then lose and come home at 9 and regret it.

Comment

Some very strange shit going down in RuSSia this evening.
                                                                                                              Very 1917 vibes.

Comment

The new worlds largest (? - TikTok acquired knowledge) Penneys in Dundrum is genuinely everything of your worst nightmares.
                                                                                                                It's the biggest lingerie section in ireland I understand.

Comment

Some very strange shit going down in RuSSia this evening.
                                                                                                                  Very 1917 vibes.
                                                                                                                  Maybe more like the Night of the Long Knives.

It'll save the Ukrainians the bother of killing them all I suppose.

Comment

They obv knew they were fucked when they heard Hitch was punting on 'em.

Comment

Didn’t Hitch start the war only fitting that he ends it too.
                                                                                                                      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

The only possible real world thing that would be more fun than this would be Trump getting dragged off to the slammer in an orange jumpsuit.

Comment

Ah, still a better bet than his Liz Truss one
                                                                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X